3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #30 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/268821-steel-magnolias-30-a.html)

QuilterInVA 10-26-2012 10:11 PM

Steel Magnolias #30

It's been a rainy day today. I had English Paper Piecing today and we had a lot of fun. I've got to run around tomorrow and stock up before Hurrican Sandy gets any closer. Until they say where it'll hit, I'm preparing for the worst. I'll leave my car on higher ground when I get home tomorrow.

Faye, I love those socks!

Jean, I've been really fortunate with the workers I've had for my house. They got it right the first time.

Maggie, Hungry to the Max is the next cookbook from Hungry Girl. It has over 600 recipes. I've maked at ton of them already to try.

Have a great evening.

Jean 10-26-2012 11:18 PM

Maggie -- I noticed your last post was just a few minutes before mine. ;) I didn't know there were so many different kinds of salt. Thanks for sharing the link; I've saved it so I can go back and browse. :D

Susan -- I am really surprised at how fast "Sandy" has appeared but then I really don't know much about hurricanes. The weatherman did say the season lasts through November. I hope she doesn't hit land. :nono: It's good that you are taking precautions just in case.

Ernie's little brother is coming into the garage now; I propped the door open a tiny bit in hopes nothing else will come in. He hightails it whenever the house door opens but then comes back. I have had a catnap in front of the tv tonight, :o so hope I can sleep when I go to bed. See you tomorrow!

Jean 10-27-2012 01:33 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining, and the wind is blowing! It's cold outside but the sun sure makes it look better. I've been to the grocery store and now need to start making food for tomorrow when the kids will be here. It's going to be very simple: sloppy joes, a couple of salads, chips, veggies, and Beth is making a cake. I also need to vacuum later, and maybe swish a dustrag around. :dunno:

I hear the oven beeping so can put the chicken in. Enjoy the day today! :wave:

gma22 10-27-2012 04:11 PM

Afternoon girls. It has been chilly here today and it was cold overnight enough to run the furnace. It has finally cooled down for fall I think as we are going to have normal temps next week.

Jack is sitting watching the Boise State game at the moment. I have felt kind of ick today as for some reason the female stuff has been rearing it's ugly head for the last two weeks. I just have to take it easy when it is bad so I have just accepted that. I wanted to do some housework today, but it isn't going to happen except straightening up and doing regular chores. No big deal. We aren't expecting company or anything.

We decided to wait until tomorrow to grocery shop. We can go a bit later for one thing and neither of us wanted to get up early and get out this morning as we went to bed late, really late for us.

Susan: I truly hope it doesn't hit in your area. It is a pretty nasty storm. I know the ship website has shut down a lot of the caribbean excursions and such because of it. I was looking at the new hungry girl cookbook and it looks interesting. I may go to Barnes and Noble and see if they have it so I can peruse the actual recipes.

Jean: That was one of the reasons we kept such a close eye on the caribbean before our trip as the hurricane season goes well into November. Hope you have a good times with the kids. I was watching Trisha Yearwood's cooking show early this morning and she and her girls were all dressed up like Kiss for Halloween and she was making Halloween food, a chicken tortilla soup that Garth Brooks likes and a pumpkin roll. It all sounded really good.

I guess I should get started on Jackson's second sock as I have the first one done. I have enjoyed reading the last couple days though. There's a new Dick and Felix Francis book out and I bought it and am enjoying it. Have a great weekend everyone!!! Faye

Maggie 10-27-2012 04:43 PM

Simply Sunny Beautiful Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :comp:

It is said to get way up to 70ºs this day and hopefully that is true. I don’t have much on my list to do this day and am just going to laze around. Since yesterday we bought the birthday gift for that gal that is turning 3 and the party is after services in the morning that is off the list. It is a lovely dressy pant outfit. Gauzey white top with striped tights that will look great on her with a bow to match to go in her hair. The store wrapped it and I made a cute little card so it is ready to go. We love buying gifts at that store for it specializes in “nice” clothes for babies & kids. Her dad is providing the noon meal of pulled pork and BBQ beef and all the fixins for the guests. It should be a fun affair. The mom is a nurse who is PG once again and the dad is a music teacher.

As usual the animals are all napping ~ what a life. :lol: I made some awesome spaghetti last evening and I think we will be having leftovers this day. I put lots cut up onions, celery and mushrooms in the sauce and add as many of the 1 p+ meatballs we want. I like keeping a bag of those meatballs in the freezer. I was out and we went to the two main stores in town and they were out of them but found them in a market way across town. Wonder why there was a run on meatballs. :chin:

Will just came home and brought me half a roast beef French dip sandwich which I will go eat now. And, of course, he brought me a sf ff vanilla latte. :yes:

Much latter I am now back. I got busy doing some needed chores out at that end of the house and just got back in here.

DONNA FAYE Sorry you feeling under the weather. Won't you be glad when this is all overwith your femaile stuff. After hearing what you are going through I am so thankful I never even had monthly cramps. Guess those cruise folks have to watch the weather very closely.

JEAN You will have fun with that web site. So many things to look at. Are you going to end adopting that little cat that comes around to be fed? sounds like he is homeless.

SUSAN I have that book on order from the bookstore here. They have lots of her other cook books by Lisa Lillien but just not that one in yet. I have gotten good recipes out of all four of her cookbooks I do have. She sure know how to take some of the old favorites and revamp them.

Have a great day Magnolias. :wave:

Jean 10-27-2012 10:38 PM

"Gma" -- I hope you are feeling better tonight! :yes: I had my flu shot on Thursday; I don't know if there is any correlation, or not, but my nose started running this afternoon and now I am stuffed up big time. :mad: Hope your shopping tomorrow is quick and easy!

Maggie -- You will have fun at the birthday party tomorrow. :D They sound like a nice family. I would like to adopt "Ernie's little brother." I can pick him up and scratch his ears. He eats all the time so I am betting he has worms. Bob has left the walk-in garage door open and he has come in to check it out. Even though Ernie has had all his shots I would take the orphan to the vet to be sure he is healthy, get his shots, and neutered. We'll see how it goes. :dunno:

I'm tired tonight but want to stay up and awake until at least 10:30 or 11 so I don't wake up in the middle of the night. I don't like it when the house is cold in the night. :nono:

gma22 10-28-2012 07:57 AM

Good morning to you all! It is chilly this morning, but the furnace hasn't kicked on and I have it set at 69 so the house hasn't cooled off too much I guess.

We have the ole commissary shopping to do this morning. I will be glad to just get it done. I hope the place isn't crowded today and we can zip right through and then they actually have cashiers so we don't have to wait in line. That irritates me the most, especially on weekends that are military active duty and retire paydays and then add in the social security people and they have two checkouts open and the line winds clear to the back of the store. That's ridiculous.

I didn't pick up needles at all yesterday. I just sat and read while Jack watched football games. I am not going to put up with this much longer before I tell her she is going to have to just take it out if it isn't going to correct itself. I am tired of all these lousy symptoms making me feel crummy most of the time.

Maggie: Hope you have a nice time at the birthday party. It would be fun to shop for little girls. I never get to. Boys clothing isn't fun to look around and decide what to get. My guys are basically jeans and tshirt kids so that makes it even more boring! :lol: Thomas is camping this weekend with the scouts and Kelly said it was supposed to be below freezing where they were at so I imagine that skinny little kid is gonna get cold. Hope he doesn't come home sick.

Jean: Fortune has shots in January. Last year I just had them give him his shots but this year I think I will have them do a regular workup just to make sure his heart and such are doing ok. It is a lot more expensive, but with his age, I think we should do it. I will be getting a flu shot as soon as I book at dr appt and go in. I usually get it much earlier, but I just haven't been to the dr's for anything.

Well, better hop to it and get cleaned up and such and chores done before we drive out to the commissary. Have a nice rest of the weekend! Faye

Maggie 10-28-2012 05:09 PM

Simply Sunny Beautiful Chilly Sunday

The party was fun and she got some good presents. It will be fun to see her in some of the outfits she got. It is currently in the 50º range and not expected to get higher than 60ºs this day. Right now I am sucking on a Butter Mint ~ they are 7 for 1p+ and I enjoy them sometimes but not often but when I want some they are delicious. I package the box of them in small bags and can take out just one packet when I get the notion. :yes: I don’t often eat candy and when I do it has to be of a good kind ~ not just any candy will do. :no: Not much out of the ordinary doing this afternoon ~ just trying to stay awake. The drowse’s hit me around this time each day it seem ~ the afternoon slump. :(

Last WW meeting we made a list of different exercises to do and out of the 12 I am able to do 3 of them without hurting myself. Three out of the twelve isn’t bad though for I can walk, lift weights (carefully), and exercise dance. My leg the way it is does limit what I do or should do for the doctor did give me some guidelines to what my back can handle. Like for example no jumping rope or hoola hooping, or stop-start sports for this gal. :p

DONNA FAYE Hope you found all you wanted to purchase at the commissary this day. :yikes: camping in cold weather like that for little kids isn't the best of times I would imagine. Hope he doesn't get sick from it.

Have a great day Magnolias. :wave:

Jean 10-28-2012 10:34 PM

Good Evening, Flowers! It 's been a long day; chilly enough for a jacket but sunny and nice for the kids to be outside. They brought their bikes and went to a nearby park. This is the first time they have gone without an adult. We have the house pretty much put back together, the dishwasher is running, and bed is looking better by the minute.

"Gma" -- Our WM is terrible about having more than a couple check-outs. They try to get people to use the self check-outs, which I won't do. :noon: Bob is the one to stuff Ernie into the carrier for his trips to the vet. After getting bit by the stray, many years ago, I am spooky about that.

Maggie -- I commend you for exercising! I never did master the hula hoop. :o Glad you enjoyed the birthday party!

I am going to unload the dishwasher and get ready for bed. :yawn: See you tomorrow! :wave:

Jean 10-29-2012 12:28 PM

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining but it is quite windy and feels much colder than the temperature says it is. :brr: We were missing a counter at church this morning but the two of us balanced on the first try. :cp: My gift shop deposit is ready to go to the bank after lunch and I need to make a WM run.

The kids (it was me!) forgot to take their share of leftovers home last night so I need to get theirs in the freezer. We will have ours for lunch today! Hope you all enjoy a great day today! :wave:

gma22 10-30-2012 09:09 AM

Good morning everyone. I guess fall is finally here as the temps during the day seem to be staying around the mid 60's. It gets chilly enough to kick on the furnace a couple times, but not excessively so.

I paid a few bills this morning and have lots of cleaning chores to catch up on. I also want to make progress on Jackson's other sock as I am almost done with the leg now. I should receive the last of his Christmas presents from Target today and this nitwit woman called 8 times yesterday and because it was a blocked number I wouldn't answer. She called at 9 PM and it made me mad so I went ahead and answered and come to find out it was the infommercial slippers that I ordered for Jackson. She wanted to add a $1 to my credit card to send me valuable discounts and I told her NO! They are cheapskates and ship by mail so I am going to have to leave the gate unlocked until the darn things come I guess. I ordered him this blanket puppet he wanted really badly too, but I hate ordering stuff that is on tv. Ahh well, hopefully they won't fall apart right away.

Jean: The fall is always fun for kids I think. I remember being a kid and riding my bike all over town and roller skating and such during the fall. Halloween was the best though. We could go all over town and trick or treat all evening and get the best stuff. We would get cupcakes and cotton candy and candy apples and all kinds of great stuff. Nowadays you have to be a doctor to let your kids eat the stuff and walk with them everywhere. It is sad.

Maggie: Jack loves the butter mints they have at one of the restaurants we like. He always stuffs his pockets when he goes in. :lol: When I was a kid, I was a hoola hoop queen. I can still "shake my bootie" if I need to. :lol:

Well girls lots to do so I better get started. Have a great Tuesday and stay warm and dry. Faye

Jean 10-30-2012 04:32 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another "no sun" day in my corner of the world. The wind is not blowing so that is a plus. I spent the morning at church getting the monthly newsletter ready to mail. I've got laundry going and need to do some picking up and putting away around here.

Gma" -- I hate it when the phone numbers are blocked! I have the hospital volunteer director's phone number in my phone book but it still comes up as "out of the area." :dunno: Some of our local numbers will come through with names and others won't. My biggest Halloween bi*ch is the adults that come along with their kids and shove a garbage bag at me for their treat. :tantrum: It isn't the white parents either. If the weather is cold we won't have many trick or treaters. Bob says they are too lazy to walk a half block for a piece of candy. :lol:

I have got to get busy and think about something for supper. I'm tired of Sundays leftovers! Enjoy the rest of your day wherever you are and whatever you are doing. :wave:

Maggie 10-30-2012 04:53 PM

Thankful Tuesday

It is in the 60º range this day and not expected to move up or down but stay somewhere in the 60ºs. I am making out an order for a few things for my village to decorate it. I found the cutest little glass Christmas tree that has round glass ornaments to hang on the branches. I used to have a glass tree but it got broken but still have the little ornaments that went on it. This new one has ball type ornaments where the other one had things like a :candy: and such like. I can use some of them with the balls. The balls are tiny since the tree is only 6 inches tall. These are made to set at a huge table at each place setting. I can order just one for my village.

Will is at the phone store to see if he can get a replacement glass for the front of his phone. Or a new phone. They will probably just give him a refurbished phone of the same model. He dropped it and it broke the glass on the front other day. I don’t know why they don’t make them out of some unbreakable material which is much stronger for folks do drop things.

Wow tomorrow is Halloween. :witch2: It seems to me like it got here faster than usual once we started Rocktober. :spid: We won’t be home to pass out treats for we will be at mid week services then out to dinner. So no tempting candy will be in this house this year.

My lunch consisted of a Panini of chicken, lettuce, onion, tomato and no sauce. I ate half of it and saved the rest for later. I will probably take the chicken & veggies off the bread and use them in a salad at dinner. The bread is good but I don’t need it this day.

DONNA FAYE I don't like dealing with those jokers on the phone. They block their numbers and you don't know who it is that is calling. I had one that said I owed a ton of money to a company I have NEVER even delt with and so after much discussion I just told them to send it to me in writing through the mail and I would send it along to my attourney to deal with them. I never heard from them again. Scammers are the bottom feeders of this universe in my opinion. Telemarketers are about the same. They block their numbers hoping to get a few hits anyway from those that answer their phones. Yep those butter mints are tasty. The Richardson company makes them in the good ole US of A. :cp: Only 1p+ for 7 of them.

JEAN Isn't it lovely when the wind doesn't blow. We are having just a slight breeze here this day. Halloween sure hasn't changed for the better through the years has it. Gone are the kinder gentler days of our lives being replaced by the fast moving "gimmie generation."

Have a wonderful afternoon Magnolias.:wave:

gma22 10-31-2012 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
:haphal: Second day off those meds and here we go already! :lol: I don't go to the doctor until December so I am hoping it will eventually even all out. For now it is kind of crappy but I'll deal with it as it comes.

Kelly is dressed for Halloween at St Judes today and thought you would enjoy the photo. She wanted to be the Gone with the Wind character that Carol Burnett did on her show. I think it is priceless. You can't help but smile at her. Thomas got his eyeball truffles last night and Jackson should get his popcorn tin today so got the grandsons covered. We don't do candy handouts. Too dangerous where we live and we don't have many kids living here anyway. ( I added Carol Burnett's sketch dress so you would understand)

I am now on the heel of Jackson's sock so shouldn't be too long and they should be done. I can then start Thomas's socks and get them done. I am looking forward to starting my socks then.

Jean: You aren't going to believe this, but this stupid company called here again 5 times yesterday and everytime I would answer it would hang up. Finally around 4 PM someone answered and I got mad and told her off. She refused to apologize and kept saying she was calling to check my shipping address, which I told her was bologna. I said I had gone through all that the day before with someone and wasn't going through it again and didn't want to buy anything else so to quit calling me! I then emailed the company and let loose on them. I hope that is the end of that and I hope I actually get what I ordered. One of the reasons we don't hand out candy is because half the people are older teens or adult and if you refuse they damage your property, or shoot you!

Maggie: I get more spam with garbage threatening you so you will give them information online and they can steal your identity. One of the things I get over and over is supposedly from the FBI! :lol: I always get a kick out of that one. Oh, I am glad you found yourself a little glass tree for your village. You should take a picture and post it for us to see!

Well girls, I haven't gotten anything done but knitting so I better get going. Have a great Wednesday. Faye

Jean 10-31-2012 11:33 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a bright sunny morning in my neighborhood this morning; it's 39 degrees with NO wind again today . . . so far anyway. I've been to get my nails done and now need to do some serious cleaning. Bob is bagging leaves, with the mower, to take to the landfill. He's hoping to get them all in three pickup loads. We have LOTS of leaves, and he even grinds them up first!

Maggie -- Your little Christmas tree will certainly brighten up your village. :yes: Does Will have a "smart" phone? Beth does and she had to take her phone back to the store because it developed a mind of its own! It would make calls or switch into different websites while on the table or in her purse. The phone person said that some setting was changed, somehow, and that was the problem. I found bite sized Rice Krispie treats to hand out tonight. Actually, I'm hoping we don't have anyone come to the door. I'm going to check the movie listings so we can be gone. :o We have several older neighbors who don't turn their lights on anymore so doubt if there will be many coming down our street. It's a dead end street to boot.

"Gma" -- Gee, I hope you get to feeling better! :crossed: Thanks for sharing Kelly's picture. I looked at it before reading and wondered who in the world it was. :lol: She is clever! I sure don't blame you for getting upset with the phone calls yesterday. I hate it when I forget to bring the cordless with me in the evening. I usually either have Ernie on my lap, a book, the afghan, etc., so hate getting up to answer the phone only to find out it's not anyone I wanted to talk to.

Susan -- I hope you are dry, safe, and warm! :hug:

Question of the day . . . does your WM still have greeters? Our's does not and we a lucky if there are any carts inside the door. :mad: There goes my post retirement job! :lol3:

I need to take laundry downstairs and get busy. Have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy! :ghost:

Maggie 10-31-2012 03:26 PM

Wonderful Chilly Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :spid:

My eyes are watering and I am not crying. Something in the air around here gets to me and makes my eyes water and I sneeze a lot. I am thankful that it doesn’t happen a whole lot for I surely don’t want to be medicated for it. :bat: The cat likes to prowl around under my desk and mess with the wires under there for my printer. So glad he is sleeping now and not unplugging anything.

Will is out to do a bit of shopping and I hope he can find that cheese spread you told me about in one of these stores Donna. He is also going to load some money on my debit card so I can order that glass :tree:, the glass :sunny:, and a tiny set of :santa: pulling a sleigh with :gift: in it , plus two :rudolph:, and a couple of :tree:s come with it. They are hand carved of wood in the Erzebirge mountain region in Germany. :clause: is 2½ inches in height and the tallest piece. The pieces are all hand painted and will look so cute with my :ginger: That will be all I will order for this season for the houses. Next year I am sure I will find some more items to get. Probably get that tiny crystal snowman I ran across. He would be a cute addition and I can always hope he will be in the catalogue once again or I can find one elsewhere. I’d like to find one that is just an inch tall.

OK now Will is back and I can make my order ~ now I’m back after ordering and great ~ everything was in stock and I should receive all 3 items from different places within two weeks ~ plenty of time before we start decorating for Christmas. :hohoho: I am a very happy camper that all of what I ordered was in stock. Seems like they were all popular items. One catalogue had the little glass tree for $19.+ shipping and another had it for $198. plus shipping. You can guess which one I ordered. The spendy one had the star dipped in 24K gold. If I want that star gold I have some gold paint. :lol: The most expensive thing I ordered was the hand carved Santa set from Germany. If any of you get the catalogue Uno Alla Volta® (which means “one at a time”) it is on page 39 at the top of the page so you can take a “look see.” I hope I didn’t bore you with all this chatter.

JEAN We don't have a house phone. Will has a Droid and I have a Blackberry. This will be his 3rd Droid due to malfunctions and this last dropping of said phone. I have never had a bit of trouble with my Blackberry. How many points+ are those little Rice Crispy bites? I had no idea they made them but I don't go in grocerie stores either. :p That is a lot of bagging up of leaves ~ good thing Bob does it. :witch:

DONNA FAYE :hug: I am so sorry you are feeling under the weather. Hopefully you will feel back to exact soon. Scammers abound. We use debit cards when ordering on line or over the phone and change them often since the time my money was taken ~ the card co. paid me back and went after the person in a different country that stole the money. We try to just put the amount on that we want to spend and spend it quickly. Never do we use our "real" bank card for ordering anything because we don't want our account to be emptied out by scammers for it is for the regular type bills. We don't have any credit card debt. :cp: Cash is King. What a neat outfut your daughter has on. It looks like it will keep her nice and warm. :witch2:

Have a wonderful and :haphal:

QuilterInVA 10-31-2012 03:38 PM

Good afternoon, ladies. 53 degrees today - cold!

We were fortunately blessed and didn't get anything but rain for 5 days and high winds. Not much but some flooding in the very low lying areas. It was just depressing really.

I'm really liking having my sewing room downstairs. I'm getting more done.
Tomorrow is First Thursday bee so that will be fun.

Faye, I think Kelly got it just right - what a hoot! I got pretzels to give the kids. That way i can enjoy any leftovers. I don't expect many. You can go on Amazon and look at Hungry Girl's new cookbook. If you get it from B&N, did you know if you order on line for store pick up you can save nearly $10.

Jean, I am famous for leaving my leftovers box on the table when we leave a restaurant. Makes me mad. At least you got yours home.

Maggie, I like those butter mints, too. I found Noni's 100-calorie biscotti on close out sale for $1.25 a box so I bought all 7 boxes. One of those and a cup of tea is lovely in the evening.

Have a wonderful evening.

Jean 11-01-2012 10:03 AM

Good Morning and Happy November, Flowers! It's a hazy morning in my corner of the world, and the wind is blowing. I don't have to leave the house today so am hoping to get some boxes ready for the SOS store, Good Will, and consignment store. I always have good ideas in the morning! ;)

Bob did his good deed for the day yesterday. He had some room in the pickup so took leaves from the neighbors on each side of us. On the one side (cat haters side) they were mostly leaves from our tree in the first place. The guy did come over and thank Bob for taking them. He spent most of the day working outside yesterday and he was tired last night!

Maggie -- A few cats ago, we had a cat named Maggie who liked to chew on cords. She never chewed clear through but almost all of our electric cords had her teeth marks. :lol: How fun to order your Christmas items for your village. I hope they all arrive in great shape.

Susan -- I was glad to see your post and know you are ok. Several rainy days in a row is depressing but after seeing the hurricane pictures on tv, I won't complain about rainy cloudy days (too much). I, too, have left my leftovers on the restaurant table. :D I took a biscotti, in the teachers' lounge, not knowing it would be hard. Boy was I surrpised!

I need to get dressed and get my day going. It's so easy to sit and work on Beth's afghan and watch the Today Show, after Bob leaves for the office. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy! :wave:

Maggie 11-01-2012 02:30 PM

Thankful Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :wave:

Rocktober is over with and this is the first of a new month. A good day to make a fresh beginning on my program and get my head into it to reach my :val1: goal. I have convinced myself that I can do it if I keep my head into it.

It is a nice day here in the ♥-Land and I am just lazing around. I have all the work done that I had planned for this day. Now a bit later I am going to make some jerky. Will picked up some more of that thin cut steak at the “used bin” yesterday so I will turn it into jerky. Will has been down to the computer~phone store to have his new phone programmed and they gave him the heads up on all the computer I-pads and mini I-pads that are going to be available at Christmas time and said the Apple is the very best of the bunch. Amazing what they can put into those little things and store stuff in outer space. A drop box in outer-space clears up space on a computer. I used to be quite computer literate but not anymore for they have gotten so much new “stuff” I have been left behind in my knowledge. He was telling me all about the mini like he was trying to convince me that I want one. :lol: I have an idea that he will probably get me one as a Christmas :present: I am getting him a gun that he can use in the re-enactment programs he is involved with. He is slowly getting all the gear to look the part and studying up on his character of the Trail Boss.

Dinner this day will be an easy one for I crock~potted a roast he bought out of the “used meat” bin yesterday with a packet of dry onion soup over top of it. This evening I will make some gravy and we will have hot roast beef sandwiches using toasted sour dough bread. The roast was very lean but I still took the juice and put it into the fridge so any fat would come to the top and be easy to lift off. I will make gravy from the liquid that remains. After the holidays one day I will replace my broken little pitcher that poured the liquid from the bottom which made it so easy to skim the fat off. Sure made it easier but sticking it in the fridge is easy also so I haven’t been in a hurry to replace my pitcher. But when I really need that pitcher is when I want to use the liquid when it is still hot right out of the pot. :yes: For lunch I will microwave a dinner for me of some sort. I have to go and see what I have in the freezer. I haven’t been out to the kitchen yet this day. I ate one of those 1 p+ little Kellog’s® Rice Krispy ~ Crispy Marshmallow Squares ~ for breakfast with my coffee. They are so tasty and I can just eat one. :lol: I do need to boil some eggs to have them handy in the fridge. I will do that this day; make jerky and boil some eggs ~ sounds like a plan I can handle. :cp:

JEAN How nice for you to not have to leave the house on this windy day in your corner of the world. No wind yet here this day. :cp: I am so glad none of our animals chew on cords ~ they do unplug them though. When Beanie was a baby he liked to knaw on the bottom rung of a TV tray I use in the front room. That is the only thing he chose to knaw on so I let him for he didn't ruin any of the furniture that way ~ just that bottm rung of a wooden stand. The cat did like to get in the large pots the trees are in and disloge some of the moss in them so we put little rocks in the pots and he now stays out of them. Have fun with your sorting and pitching this day.

SUSAN That was certainly a good buy on those boxes of biscotti. What flavor are they? Have you ever baked your own? I have several recipes for them and they are all so yummy. Freeze well also. This time of the year I like to make the Cranberry ones, which is a WW recipe, and they are 1 P+ each. If you want the recipe I can type it out for you for they aren't difficult to make. These you can make a month ahead of the holidays. Since we have "guests" around these holidays it is nice to have a varity of biscotti on hand to serve with coffee or tea. I have a recipe for double chocolate ones that are 3P+ each. Most of the recipes are in the 3P+ range with one that is 5P+ and one that is 2P+. I make the 1P+ ones the most often. :p

Time for me now to go get some lunch. :wave: Type at y'all later.

gma22 11-02-2012 08:51 AM

Good morning girls. It is around 50 degrees at the moment but should warm into the 60's today. I have the boob squisher appt this morning so will be leaving here in about 40 minutes or so. I want to get in and out and get my errands done this morning.

I am finally almost done with Jackson's sock. I am knitting off the toe and then I can wash and block them. I may wait to wash them until I have Thomas's done too and do them both at the same time. I put my socks on the needles just to see what they would look like, but I don't like the bigger needle so will just wait until Thomas's socks are done.

Quick breakfast of crackers and pb this morning. I am going to take a banana with me too. I just have to be careful about eating in the morning since that is when I have the most trouble.

As soon as those stupid slippers get here, I will have all of Jackson's Christmas bought and can UGH, wrap them. One of these days I am going to fly Jean down here just to wrap my Christmas presents! :lol: You would think that with me being "crafty" so to speak I would love wrapping presents but I hate it so much. If I thought Jack wouldn't completely goof them up, I would get him to do it! :lol:

Maggie: Are you getting in the Christmas mood? :lol: All your little emoticons all about Christmas! We got rid of our house phone two years ago and don't regret it a bit. We don't have the best service in our area, but we deal with it and most of the times it isn't a problem. It saved us about $60 month for local calls alone and since we pay nothing for long distance, would have saved a whopping amount for it.

Jean: It is the one thing about the cell phones I wish they had was being able to block numbers of people you don't want to talk to. We need to tackle our leaves, but we still have quite a bit on our tree and would like to only have to do it once. I think biscotti looks like the zweiback things we used to buy for our babies. I am not a coffee drinker so I don't eat them. I think they are specifically made to dunk in coffee and that's why they are made so hard as I think they are double baked.

Susan: Glad you survived that terrible storm intact. I think pretzels packs are a great idea for Halloween. You then don't waste anything by throwing it away so you don't eat it and pretzels are always a great snack I think.

Well girls, it is getting close to time to leave to go get my mammogram. Hope you all have a lovely weekend. We are shampooing carpets again this weekend and I am going to try and catch up on cleaning chores as I hope I feel better than I have been. I get so tired of feeling crummy and not being able to do anything about it. Faye

Maggie 11-02-2012 12:10 PM

Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It is a tad bit chilly this morning in the 40ºs and not expected to rise above 60ºs this day. Right now I am waking up with my coffee and a piece of sourdough toast with a skiff of sf Smucker’s® sugar free seedless strawberry jam sweetened with Splenda®. All delivered to me here in my office. Life is good. When I finish this post I am going to go get that jerky started in the dehydrator after I have soaked it in the marinade for half hour. I have some beef ribs that I need to spice up and cook in my indoor smoker for dinner this day. The dogs will love those bones to gnaw on. :cp: I’ll open a can of baked beans and jazz them up with some stir fried chopped onions and bell peppers to go with them and toss a green salad. I have a neat non stick fry pan that enables me to stir fry without any fat which is helpful to my program. That’s the plan and I’m sticking to it. :yes:

Not much happening in this part of the world this second day of November. I do need to clean off the top of my desk once again for it is past time to tear old October’s calendar off the pad and I can’t do that with “stuff” scattered all over it. Necessary, needful “stuff” you understand. I do need to forward some of the notes I have on it for things happening in this month and in December. It is also a good time to clean out my desk drawer also for there are mysteries hiding in there. Since it is what is called a writing desk it only has the one long drawer which is 3¼ X 29½ and as deep as the desk. I like the desk for it is nice and wide. Will is off now to run some errands and will bring me back a sf ff vanilla latte. I have this “homemade” coffee to sip on till he gets back. :lol:

DONNA FAYE Yep we got rid of a house phone many years ago also. No need for one and talking on a cell is much more cost effective. Most of my phone calls are for out of state and I love that they don't cost anymore than a local call. Hopefully you can get your system to working better to not have that pain so much. Those cookies are great to dip in hot tea also. Much better tasting than baby crackers. :p

Well Magnolias it is time for me to get started on that meat that is calling my name to processed into jerky.

PS: Will came in from doing some more errands and handed me the new Hungry Girl book To The Max so I will be looking through it tonight.

Jean 11-02-2012 06:00 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cloudy windy day in my neighborhood, with a wind chill of 37 degrees. I got a perm this morning, first thing at 8:00. I had a really hard time staying awake because I tossed 'n turned all night. :yawn: Finally got up about 2 and finished my book, then couldn't settle down when I went back to bed. I hate nights like that but glad they are few and far between! I returned library books and stopped at the grocery store for a few things.

Maggie -- I don't know anything about the new mini iPad, but I do enjoy my bigger one. Bob likes to look up things/people we see on tv as they happen. I keep telling him he needs one of his own. Beth won a Nook at work and it seems to be very similar to my iPad. :dunno: She is still learning and I know I don't use, or know, all the features on mine. My computer desk always seems to have a pile of something; I make copies of my gift shop paperwork and am lax at getting them in the 3 ring notebooks. :o

"Gma" -- I hope all went well with your mammogram. A good thing to have done. I need to get my driver's license renewed next week before I forget. We still have our house phone. For a very long time Bob had the only cell phone and just the office, myself, and his farmer friend had the number. He left it in his truck most of the time unless he was expecting a call. He doesn't like lots of people having his number even now. I text more than I talk so am usually surprised when I get a phone call. :yes: We need to shampoo rugs but will wait until closer to Christmas. I plan to get new when we finally recarpet the bedrooms. I am really slow at getting them cleaned out . . . too much junk to sort through, and not my favorite task.

Bob just came home so I need to get going on supper of some sort. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening. :wave:

Jean 11-03-2012 10:44 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, wind is blowing, and it's 34 degrees in my corner of the world this morning. Bob just left to make his morning rounds, and I have laundry rounded up to take downstairs. Tomorrow is our All Saints Day at church where we light memorial candles for each church member who died in the past year. We are playing bells tomorrow, and sometime today I need to get a bell out for the service tonight. The minister reads the name, we light the candle, and someone rings the bell. Bob and I will light them for first service and I need to find someone to ring the bell. This should be my last year on the Memorial Committee.

I need to get moving and accomplish a few things this morning. Have a super Saturday and enjoy! :wave:

Maggie 11-03-2012 04:39 PM

Saturday

Don’t forget to set your clocks back tonight. It is later than we used to do it in Rocktober.

My batch of jerky turned out better this time using both the marinade and smoke flavor both the same ~ mesquite. Dry but pliable just like it is supposed to be. I had so many pieces I had to dry them in two batches so the second batch is drying as I type. We went out to lunch with friends at our favorite Mexican restaurant and I stuck to what I can count. I plan on just having something very light this evening.

I am having so much fun going through my new Hungry Girl cook book and putting stickum points on pages where there is a recipe I want to try. Gracious sakes there are so many things in it I want to make in that book ~ which is a good thing though. I am up to the Chinese section and am anxious to see what recipes she has in that category. I will probably just want to cook that whole section. :lol: I have been figuring out the points plus for each of the recipes I have marked to try.

I just swatted my third fly. They love coming in the house when it is cool outside and we will probably get a lot of them after tonight. I’m good with the swatter though. We got one of those sticky things and hung it up and not a fly went near it so we swat them the old fashioned way.

JEAN How many deaths have there been this past year that were members of your church? Sounds like quite a send off ceremony you have there.

Have a great Saturday Magnolias. :wave: I am off to look at recipes in my new required cook book.

QuilterInVA 11-03-2012 08:39 PM

Don't really have time to post tonight but I wanted to tell Maggie that Hungry Girl to the Max PP are on her website for every recipe.

gma22 11-04-2012 10:41 AM

Good morning ladies. We have been busy early. We vacuumed then shampooed the rugs and I am going to mop floors a little later after we put the dining room stuff back. I am getting caught back up again. I have just been having a rough time since I finished me the meds.

I finished Jackson's socks and have started Thomas's so need to get hopping on them so I can finish and wash and block them. They have to be ready by the first of Dec.

Yesterday was all day college football. :yawn: I don't mind as I was reading a book and knitting so kept myself busy.

Jean: The mammogram went fine and I didn't even have to wait very long. I did have one position that pinched pretty good, but not enough to really be in pain. My chest was all red when I finished though. :lol: I then ran out to Walmart and got some groceries we needed like bread and more soda and I bought my monthly airwicks. Walmart has a triple package and saves me money and they have cinnamon apple, which I like. You know, I bet you could download books to your Ipad. Check out bookbub.com, you can get free ones in the style you like to read, ie, humor, mystery, romance, etc. I have 80 free books from them on my kindle. Have you ever watched the tv show Castle? It is a cute show and I really like it. He is a mystery writer that follows a homicide female detective around for research and is always getting involved in the homicide. He is really rich and he plays poker with famous people all the time. On one of the episodes he had Michael Connelly, James Patterson and Steven J Cannell as poker pals. I guess one of the several mystery writers that have been on the show as his poker players actually wrote the books that the character writes on the show. I downloaded the first one from Amazon and it was pretty darn good. I enjoyed it and will probably order the rest of them.

Maggie: Have you ever made jerky for the doggies??? I bet they would love it and it has to be good for their teeth. This part of the country has a huge problem with roaches. I am forever spraying for the darn things. During the hot summer I will let Fortune out after dark and when I turn on the back porch light you see them all scatter under our deck. It is disgusting, but not much you can do about it. I just spray every week or so to try and keep them at bay the best way I can.

Susan: Hope you are doing fine!

Well gals, I want to get some work done. You all have a wonderful day today. Faye

QuilterInVA 11-04-2012 11:09 AM

Good morning, ladies! Overcast now but rain in the forecast.

I've been working a lot of overtime then going to the Y and sitting the rest of the evening. Another busy week coming up. I'm going to be putting together my Christmas ribbons quilt this afternoon.

Faye, I don't think I could have put up with your female problems this long. I hope you get straightened out soon. It doesn't seem anything they have done thus far has helped in the least. You are a knitting diva. I think I'll get back onto my socks this week.

I was looking for some new jeans. Being cheap, I checked Walmart and Kmart. Kmart had Chic jeans on sale for $16 but I didn't want to pay that much and I realy wanted petites so I didn't have to hem them. I decided to go to Rose's since I often get Lee jeans there for $7. They had the same Chic jeans for $5 so I got 2 pair and 2 pair of fleece pants for $5 each. I found a cosy bed for Casper for $5. He jumped right in and went to sleep. I should go back and get another so he has one upstairs and down.

I have my pay-as-you-go cell phone that I put $100 a year on and that lasts me with some left over. I also have my landline and it is $19 a month with unlimited long-distance.

Jean, I'd love to hear you play the bells. It must be so beautiful. I love my Kindle Fire. You can get free books on your IPAD. You need to download a free app from Amazon.com or BN.com first and then you can get free books from bookbub.com. I have well over 100 I've gotten free from them.

Maggie, I have so many stickies marking recipes in HG to the Max. This is her best one so far. Your village will certainly be all ticked out for Christmas. I'd like to have your biscotti recipe.

Have a wonderful day.

Jean 11-04-2012 11:51 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! I was awake at my "old" time and finally got up knowing I needed to be at church early. I'll probably be ready for a nap this afternonn. Bells were "awesome" according to a few comments after the service. There was no sermon today since it was communion and the memorial service. The kids are having a spaghetti dinner at noon but think we will skip that.

Maggie -- I have noticed more flies lately. :( Ernie found a bug crawling across the floor yesterday. I finally stepped on it because I didn't want it to find a new home somewhere in the house. We lit 31 member candles, then one extra for all extended family and friends, and another for all military lives lost this year.

"Gma" -- We had football on most of yesterday afternoon and into the evening. I ignore it for the most part, except if there is a chance I can get a glimpse of the half time band. That hardly ever happens. :mad: I found Bloodline by Dick Francis on the librarys new book table the other day. I just got started but so far I like it. I remembered that you had mentioned him but didn't remember the book title you were reading.

Susan -- There is a lady at church who is making quilts out of men's ties. Bob donated several to her and I'm anxious to see the finished quilt. You got a good deal on jeans! :cp: I need new jeans and hate to even look, let alone try them on. I ordered some from Kohl's, with free shipping. They were too big so returned them to the store in Sioux City. They deducted some from each pair because I had used the free shipping so I didn't get all of my money back. I won't do that again! I have looked at books for the iPad but have to share it with Bob so never really have time to read a whole book like I would like to.

Bob is wondering if there is any interest in another cup of coffee. Guess I will change clothes and finish reading the Sunday paper. Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday! :wave:

Maggie 11-04-2012 05:05 PM

Simply Sunny Sunday

It is a lovely 70º day here in the ♥-Land. We had pot-luck for lunch after church services and I filled ⅔ of my plate with a mix of strawberries, blueberries, & blackberries, took the skin of a piece of chicken breast and had a meatball. I didn’t eat any of the oo-ie goo-ie good looking stuff on the tables. :cp: Nor did I hit the dessert table. I think I deserve a pat on the back for that success. :lol: I am sure that was a mix that came from Schwans® for I have some in my freezer. They are just the frozen whole fruit ~ nothing added. Not much happening around here this slow day. We did remember to set our clocks last night and my computer set itself.

JEAN I also woke up early and will have to get used to the time change. That is a lot of candles for sure for those who have pass away. What a nice thing to light candles for friends and the military. We didn't have our TV on all day yesterday. We never have it on until after dinner and were both busy in our offices that we never went out there to veg out in front of it. Sure was nice to have it off for an evening.

SUSAN I e-mailed that biscotti recipe to you assuming you wanted the WW one since you didn't specify. If you want any of the other biscotti recipes I have let me know and I will get them to you. I like having a variety of different kinds during this holiday season. Clothes sure have taken a leap in price and I do need some jeans. However, I am waiting until Valentines Day rolls around to get any new outer clothing items. It is going to be real fun decorating that village this year. Hopefully by next year we will have located a little train that will work with it. I would love to have it this year though . . .:p I imagine your Christmas ribbon quilt will be absolutely lovely. Good to keep busy isn't it.

DONNA FAYE I know you will be happy to get those sox blocked and on their way to happy feet. Yes, I have made doggie jerky and the dogs love it. I have also made doggie bones but the dollar store has their treats on sale that are made here in the US of A and their prices are low so we have been buying them from there. We don't trust the treats made outside of this country. They love those little doggie bone shaped biscuits wrapped with dried strips of turkey meat and are 1 inch wide and 1 and a half inch long. Little things just right for the two of them.:D

Have a wonderful Sunday Afternoon/Evening Magnolias. :wave:

gma22 11-05-2012 10:51 AM

Good morning to everyone. It is chilly this morning and we are supposed to get a bunch of rain, but nothing so far. I hate it when it is so gray out.

I have 3 1/2 weeks to finish Thomas's socks so I have to really get to them since he now wears men's sizes. I need to go through my stash and see what else I have. My dd put a link on FB for a charity called socks for smiles. This little 11 year old foster girl set it up for foster kids to get bright colorful socks, either made or bought. She said she only ever had white socks when she was in foster care and when she was adopted she never wore anything but colorful socks so wanted kids in foster care to have colorful socks too. Kelly sent money to her to buy socks, but if I have some stash I may just knit a couple of pair of kids socks.

Susan: I am pretty fed up with this, but I have an appt in Dec with the gyn and I am going to talk to her about it as I don't know how much more I want to put up with this. You got real bargains for jeans. I take it this is a store similar to big lots or something where you can get real deals. Your quilt sounds like it will be lovely.

Maggie: Fortune loves his treats. I do give him teeth cleaning treats everyday to make sure he has no nasty build up on his teeth since he is on soft food.

Jean: I actually didn't like Bloodline. I don't want to give away why but this book is not one of the best. This was written by his son as he passed away a year or so ago and was like 90 years old and wrote clear up to his death. Pick Dick Francis early books. A couple of my favorites are Shattered and High Stakes. He wrote dozens of books and the nice thing is they aren't series books so you can read any of them without having to read them in order. I have read everyone of his books and this last one is the only book out of all of them I didn't like at all.

Well, I have laundry to fold soon, dishwasher to unload as soon as it is done and upstairs bathrooms to clean today. Guess I better get a move on! :D:D Faye

Maggie 11-05-2012 03:28 PM

Monday Monday

Please post on #31 for this thread is now closed. See you there.

Have a great day Magonlias :wave: