Steel Magnolias #22

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Good morning, Flowers! It's a cloudy morning but no rain in the forecast. I have a few minutes before I meet with my doctor; will be glad when I move on to the mammogram and bone density test right afterwards. I have lunch bunch this noon and no plans after that. I might wrap up Justin Bieber and chase dust bunnies.

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!
  • Good morning gals. Jack is at Firestone getting an oil change and having the tires rotated for the trip. When he gets back home we will go out and get a few groceries to tide us over until next week when we commissary shop and on to the post office to send back a watch I bought that doesn't fit and the dial is huge.

I am finally on the foot of Jack's sock, but haven't had any time to work on it with the boys being here. I loved having them, but it is nice and quiet now and with Fortune on the mend, the house seems back to normal again!

We need to start gearing up for vacation now as it is only 6 weeks away. My lists are pretty extensive, but have a couple more things to add to them, like bringing down the folder with our wills and stuff in them for the kids if something would happen and writing up a list for the dog and instructions for Kelly where things are if something would happen. I know they think I am silly for doing this, but they wouldn't be so happy if they had to dig through all of our stuff to try and find our wills, requests for burial, insurance and stuff. This way it is where they can find it and deal with it much easier.

Jean: Our temp is 77 right now, but it isn't so stiflingly humid. That's not to say it isn't sticky out, but it isn't so bad you feel like you can't breathe when you walk out your door. It is supposed to be 97 here today by afternoon so we don't have any break in our heat, that's for sure. I will schedule my mammogram when I get back from the trip. I always have it in Sept, but it is going to have to be October this year. I will have to ask my dr about a bone density test. I have never had one.

Maggie: Sounds like you have been busy as always doing something. I have to tell you having company wears you out when you are older and I forced myself not to go around picking stuff up all the time and cleaning everyday they were here. I never liked Snickerdoodles because I am not a fan of cream of tartar. Tastes tinny to me.

Well girls, I need to go. Hopefully Jack will be home soon as his appt was for 8 AM. Have a good middle of the week. Faye
  • Wonderful Warm Wednesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a lovely day in the neighborhood and I am so happy to be alive this day. Feels like Saturday. Our neighbors have two big shepherd type dogs but love our dogs and cat. They are always buying treats for them and spoiling them and we don’t mind. They at first wondered why the cat wouldn’t come when they called him until Will told them he doesn’t know “kitty kitty” but call “Cecil” and he will come. Well, he will come if he wants to. Sometimes when I call him he just turns his head the other direction. Anyway they love our animals and buy treats for them.

It is almost just past noon o’clock and I need to start thinking about food. Yep food for lunch and dinner. For lunch first ~ I am going to make Panini’s out of sliced thin deli ham and lite cheese with chopped basil pesto sauce to spread on the rolls. I will go shopping in the freezer for what to cook for dinner after while.

I was looking at the recipes I received from the WW leader this morning that were presented at the last meeting by members and checking out the fudge recipe that is 108 P+ for the whole pan. It all depends on how many pieces you cut then figure the points for each that way. I remembered I have an old recipe I cut from a WW magazine years ago for fudge that is only 2 points+ for 2 pieces which is really good. The WW site now has a fudge recipe that is different and higher in points+ but worth a try. I also have other fudge recipes that are good ~ even one from Sees Candy which is out on the west coast and on the internet.

If any of you want the recipes I got today I can send them your way. They are: 3-2-1 Cake (a mix you can make just one piece of for 1P+); Pina Colada Iced Pops 1P+ each; Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge; Baked Oatmeal 4P+; Cucumber Salsa 1P+ for 1 cup; Raspberry White Chocolate Yogurt Muffins 2P+ each; Caramel Bread Pudding for Two 5P+; Chicken Cacciatore serves 4; 10P+; Chicken Fettuccini Alfredo serves 4; 12P+. I have not tried any of them but plan to. I have other fudge recipes that I could send you also if you choose to have them.

DONNA FAYE Well you don't have to make Snickerdoodles for there are many other point+ friendly cookie recipes that you would surely like. Different strokes for different folks. I am sure you will have all your ducks in a row when your vacation time rolls around. I'ts something nice to look forward to.

JEAN Sounds like you are having your yearly exams done with the doc. I was going to mention my sore shoulder when my next visit comes around and now it is getting better. I must have strained it somehow ~ or slept on it wierdly. Just don't know. The meeting at WW was a food sample meeting and if you want any of the recipes I will be glad to send them your way. The Sees Fudge is the best fudge recipe that I have ~ 3 points+ for an ounce serving and so well worth it and it freezes so well.

I am off to go shopping in my freezer to plan for dinner. Type at y'all later.

• Good evening, ladies! Only in the 80s the last few days but high humidity and thunderstorms every day. We didn't even see a glimpse of the sun today.

I had my doc appointment this morning. All my lab work was great, total chloesterol of 111. Mammogram was clear. Bone density was worse. I've now moved into the "high risk for spontaneous fracture". She said I need to up calcium and vitamin d and get in 4 dairy servings a day and increase weight bearing exercise to an hour a day every day. Water aerobics and water zumba are not considered weight bearing but yoga, resistance machines, walking are and I'm going to add 2 pilates classes a week. The docs office is now computerized and I can go on line to see lab results or any thing in my records. I was a little hesitant to tell her I was going to a chiropractor since many dos don't believe in them, but my prescriptions for the muscle relaxor and pain meds showed up (see can see when you fill prescriptions anywhere - a nice feature if you ask me when some people go to different docs to get the same prescription because they are addicted). Any way I told her how much he was helping my back and how his practice was run and she took down his info because she wants to go and then have someone she can recommend to her patients.

I finally finished the project for work Monday and then yesterday my boss asked me if I could work all day Friday to acclimate a new property manager for his office rental business and have a luncheon for ower tenants to introduce her.

Faye, I'm with you - visitors are always welcome but its also so nice when I'm back to just me and quiet. A bone density test is a good idea to at least establish a baseline for future testing.

Jean, I admire you for all your volunteering. I hope your tests come out good.

Maggie, a while ago I mentioned you can make a cake using a box of chocolate cake mix and a can of light cherry pie filling. I use the reduced sugar cake mix when I can find it and a sugar free cherry pie filling. Very point friendly. The other was an angelfood cake mix and a can of crushed pineapple (including juice). DO NOT bake in an angelfood pan - use a 9x13. Bake both following directions on the box. Casper has decided that a drinking straw makes a fine toy - easy to carry and it rolls well. He's always waiting at the window watching me come home and when I pull the car in he's up on his hind legs pressed against the window. As soon as I get out he runs to the door to great me. I don't have to worry about getting him to come because he is always near me.

Have a wonderful evening!
  • Good morning to you girls!! We ran all our errands yesterday and I got an extra prize. When we went to Office Depot to see about getting laminate sheets (I'll explain later,) they had this beautiful leather super comfy office chair on sale, $50 off!. My computer chair is cloth, stains really easily, has now ripped two places in the seat. So we talked about it and he bought the burgundy one for me. It is really comfortable to sit in, though I have to keep it at the lowest level as my legs are short. Susan, you might be out of luck with this chair and feel like the old comedy routine from Laugh In where Lily Tomlin played Edith Ann in that high chair.

As for the laminate sheets. We found out that Royal Caribbean is no longer going to mail out luggage tags. This is an "experiment" on their part and it is going to jump up and slap them in the face. They want people to show up to the terminal and have the ship porters print out paper tags for the bags. Now these things have to be folded like an origami bird, really ridiculous. On top of that they then have to be stapled on each bag. Do you know what 3000 people standing in line for these things will be like??? They told us we could print them out and we did, but we were concerned that they could be ripped off in rough baggage handling or if it rained the ink could run and then our cabin number, etc couldn't be seen. So I got this great idea to find clear luggage tags. Only problem all the ones I found online and at office stores were at at least an inch too short. These things are 5 1/4 " long. I asked Jack what he thought of just buying 4" x 6" laminate sheets meant for photos and laminating then cutting them to shape, punch a hole then find something to attach them to the luggage. Well, that is what we did and Jack said he could get some of those zip ties from work and we could use those to attach them to the bags. Now our tags won't get ruined and will stay attached to the bags. Someone on cruise critic paid for some kind of tag that cost him $1.50 apiece. My idea cost us 30 cents each and I have plenty left if we decide to cruise again or if I want to laminate something else. This product doesn't need a machine. You can laminate with your iron, which is what we did.

Susan: I got you beat. My cholesterol is 105, . I hope everything the doctor wants you to do will help with the bone issues and such that you are having and with the back pain too. Oooh, I would love some 80 degree temps. It was 98 here yesterday! UGH!

Maggie: I really like snickerdoodles, just don't like the cream of tartar taste and everyone I talked to said the stuff was necessary for these cookies so guess I just don't make them. I have lots of cookie recipes to choose from. Our favorite is delicious, but definitely not diet friendly.

Well girls, I guess I should get out of here and get some breakfast and fold clothes. I am again doing the darn laundry. How two people rack up so much laundry is a puzzle to me! Have a wonderful Thursday. Faye

• Good Morning, Flowers! It's a beautiful cool sunny day in my neighborhood. I love 73 degrees! I've been to get a new set of nails; I soak my old ones off and there wasn't much left so it didn't take long. Our church memorial committee is funding a new bell for our bell choir. It is a BIG bell so with the case, shipping, tax, and bell itself it will be around $3800. I need to go to the office this afternoon and give the secretary a list of the different donors so they can be acknowledged when we do our service in November. They have to make the bell so we probably won't get it until November or December.

"Gma" -- I know what you mean about peace and quiet after company leaves. Even though there is extra food, laundry, and whatever it's always fun to see them. I got to see last years mammogram pictures to compare with this years, and I couldn't tell any difference. Neither could the tech but the radiologist has the final look. Enjoy your new computer chair!

Maggie -- I guess Cecil doesn't know he's a cat! I'm not sure if Ernie would come to "kitty, kitty" either -- he's such a people cat that he doesn't wait to be called. I would like your Cucumber salsa recipe please. I have several of yours already but not that one. I'm glad your shoulder is feeling better. Sometimes my arm or hand will go to sleep because I lay on it or fold it catty-wumpus.

Susan -- I'm really anxious to see what my bone density result is because I quit taking the med a year ago. I hope it hasn't changed. I'm glad your numbers were good and that your doctor was able to give you some exercises to help with the bones. Falling and breaking something is my big fear as I get older.

I'm working to clear off the kitchen island and trying to decide what I could park there so my "paper pile" doesn't multiply quite so big so fast. Hope you all have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
  • Titilating Thursday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I am not feeling up to par this day ~ just no ambition. Hopefully as the day progresses I will snap out of it. Just the funky feelings have hit. They will probably leave after I have gotten my exercise (which I don’t want to do) done. Sometimes, not often, I just don’t have any ambition. Will just left for his volunteer job at the museum and the animals are all outside on this 80º day. Actually “they” say it will stay in the 80ºs all day all be it in the high 80ºs this evening. Last night when it became bed time and Cecil was not in yet and didn’t come when I called him I sent Beanie out back to find him. Cecil was probably asleep in the grass over by the fence where the neighborhood stray cats from across the street come to sleep under the shed that is there on the outside of the fence. Pretty soon cat and dog both came in. I don’t want to leave Cecil outside all night ~ he would get real hungry for when he does come in he heads for his food dish and eats a goodly amount. It is hard to believe he is still under a year old and so big already.

For dinner this day I am planning on making burger pillows and some of my rice mix and a vegetable. I use extra lean ground beef and make kinda a meatloaf mix for it and bake individual puffy patties. I make a mixture of catsup and splenda brown sugar to paint the tops of the pillows so they get nice and brown during the last half hour of cooking. I will have it all ready by 5:30 when Will expects to be home. For my lunch will be a salad.

DONNA FAYE Some good friends of ours just left today for a week long cruise down Mexico way. What fun they are planning on having and we will hear all about it when they get home. Their dogs are being boarded at our very vets office so they have our number to call if need be. Your new office chair sounds like it will give you good service. Mine is cloth covered and I put a towel on the seat as a cover for our animals do like to get up on it when I am not sitting on it. We bought it on sale also ~ Will has a nice leather coverd one with arms in his office. It is important to have a comfortable chair to work from. Good idea to get your luggage tags affixed ahead of time. Surely they won't have just one long line of thousands of people but several lines going for those who aren't as clever as you and have made their tags ahead of time.

JEAN I imagine that bell with be a deep mellow base tone. Amazing how much they cost isn’t it. Donations are always good to purchase such things. I love to watch the bell ringers when they do a program on TV. Maybe it will arrive in time to work into a Christmas program ~ wouldn’t that be nice. Here is that recipe you wanted. I like it spicy so used both cans of Rotel but if you want you can leave one can out and try it before you add the second can.

CUCUMBER SALSA
    4 medium cucumbers, chopped small
    2 cans Rotel, 1 can drained
    (If it is too spicy, use only 1 can)
    ¼cup vinegar
    1 packet Fat-free Ranch dressing mix
    Mix Rotel, vinegar and dressing mix together
    Pour over cucumbers and stir.
    Serving size is 1 cup for 1P+

SUSAN Thanks for the clarification because I was wondering if it all went into one cake pan to bake. Good that it makes two different cakes. I thought you might get a kick out of this recipe that turned up at the last WW meeting last Monday. I think it would be good with one of those little tubs of WW cream cheese spread on the top of it as a frosting. Isn't it wonderful to have Casper there waiting for you and greets you when you get home. Pets can really give you a lift at times. Casper sounds like he has found a real good home and is appreciative. I take once a week bone meds along with my other pill & vitamin coctail. Hopefully you don't ever fall. Sounds like your doc has you on a real exercise regiman. I go back to see mine in Oct and no telling what she will have in store for me.

3-2-1 CAKE
    In a quart size Ziploc bag:
    Combine the two cake mixes together &
    Mix well
    1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
    1 box Cake Mix (your choice of flavor)
    For one individual cake serving:
    In a microwave-safe container mix:
    3 Tbsp of cake mix
    2 Tbsp water
    Microwave on High for 1 minute
    1P+ per serving
    Store remaining cake mixture in the bag or a container of your choice .
    You can top each cake with dollop of fat-free whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit.
    Try various flavors of cake mixes.

BTW the blaws have gone away by now & I feel great. Life is good. Have a great afternoon/evening Magnolias. I am off now to get my lunch. BTw have any of you tried any of the Ready Pack salads you can get at Wal*Mart? Today I am having the Chcken Caesar Salad for a whopping 6 points+ and it is a totally filling and delicious meal. They have everyting all sealed in a container including the fork. Just thought I would give you Heads Up on a wonderful find. When I am alone here for lunch I love having these on hand. They have several different salads also.
  • A Good Meatloaf Recipe

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I thought I would post the meatloaf recipe I have decided on that I will be making for dinner. It is a good one and the “left-overs” freeze well or make great sandwiches. I don't like to make the same ole meatloaf every time I make it and have several good recipes.

CHEESY MEAT LOAF MINIS
    ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs (about 1oz)
    Cooking spray
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves, chopped
    ½ cup ketchup, divided
    3 oz white cheddar cheese, diced
    ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
    1 Tbsp prepared horseradish
    1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    ¾ tsp dried oregano
    ¼ tsp salt
    ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 ½ pounds ground sirloin
    1 large egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425º
    Heat a skillet over medium-high heat
    Add breadcrumbs; cook 3 minutes to toast
    Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat
    Coat pan with cooking spray
    Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes
    Combine onion mixture, breadcrumbs,
    ¼ cup ketchup, & remaining ingredients
    Shape into 6 (4 x 2-inch) loaves
    Place on a broiler pan coated with spray
    Spread 2 teaspoons ketchup over each
    Bake at 425º for 25 minutes or until done
    Yield 6 servings (one meat loaf)
    Cal 256; Fat 11.6g; Carb.11.2; Fib 0.9g Pro 8.5;
    7 Points Plus per serving

• Good morning ladies. It is sunny and hot, but not horrible so far this morning.

Jack told me last night he is going to have to go to Pittsburgh for 3 weeks sometime after we come back from the cruise. He has to attend classes on a new system they are putting out at the plant. The control techs all have to go, but not all at the same time, probably 2 at a time. They have told the plant director they are not paying for the trip then waiting to be reimbursed so he has to find a way to pay up front. If they will give them just a check or whatever for what they feel the trip would cost, I am going to go with him and take Fortune. They have a couple nice extended stay hotels that allow pets for a fee. It would actually be cheaper for them to let Jack drive to Pittsburgh and stay at one of the hotels I found. They will pay a per diem for his food then we would just pay for mine. If they do it this way, I will book a hotel that has a kitchen so we could buy food and cook if we want or at least be able to make sandwiches and stuff instead of eating out every meal for 3 weeks. We shall see how they decide to pay for it. If they book everything, Jack will just fly and go by himself. Miss him if he is gone for 3 weeks.

I am having a bit of small issues now from the hormones, but nothing serious just a little discomfort. Today is one of those days so I am extremely fatigued and having a bit of pain. I just work through it. It is not horrible, but I will now have to plan to take stuff with me to make sure there are no problems on the trip.

Maggie: Glad you are feeling back to normal. Thanks for the recipes. I am not a cucumber lover, but Jack loves them, especially with raw sliced onions in vinegar and water and sugar. I love pickles, don't care for cucs. I think the salsa would work by leaving out the chopped cucumbers for other veggies though and want to try it. I love Rotel.

Jean: How big is this bell? I mean, is it really heavy to be the one to ring it??? Besides the calcium that is in my multi vitamin that is for women, I also take 1200 mg a day of just regular calcium, so I am hoping that will keep my bones strong. I think I read somewhere that drinking soda can be detrimental to bones, but then I read another article that said it makes no difference so who knows??

Well, I guess I should get something done today. I am glad it is Friday though. I bought a couple plain tank tops to wear under the sweater I knit. I found that the drop neckline on this sweater makes my bra straps show all the time and it drops lower in front that many sweaters so I thought a white tank top underneath might do the trick. I got a black and a white one for like $10. I got my hush puppy thong sandals yesterday and they are divine. They are so comfortable and will be great for the excursions to walk around. Because I am flat footed, when I walk, my feet slide forward so closed toed shoes I tend to have my toes end up bruised sometimes.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It was 59 degrees when I came downstairs this morning! The sun has been playing hide 'n seek all morning. I need to make a grocery run after lunch. Maddie requested baked beans and Snicker salad for her birthday dinner on Sunday. We will also make ice cream and will have the leftovers, if there are any, on Jason's birthday the 3rd.

Gas jumped 15 cents yesterday . . . $3.49 now. We are lower than towns around us so imagine it will go up again.

Maggie -- Thanks for sharing your recipes! . I'm glad the blahs are gone so quickly.

"Gma" -- I'm surprised the city can require the guys attend a school and not pay their hotel expenses, etc., in advance. It would be nice if you can go too. I haven't seen the new bell but it is big enough to require both hands to ring it. (I assume anyway.) The gal who plays the bigger bells usually mallets them because she's had back surgery so doesn't move too fast. Sometimes she can have as many as 8 - 10+ bells lined up, but they don't play as often as the rest of us. The much younger gal who can sub for her rings them, which we prefer because the ring lasts longer than the "hit" of the mallet. Hope you are feeling better too.

Bob will be home for lunch shortly so guess I had better check the fridge for leftovers. Hope you all have a great day!
  • Finally Friendy Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 79º as I type and not supposed to get higher than the mid 90ºs today according to the weather man. Nice that we will be out of the triple digests for awhile. I can dig it.

In the mail I received 6 little books that are so cute. I am thinking of looking through them then sending them to my daughter. They are shaped like the product that the recipes are written for and spiral bound and a picture on every page of the recipe. They go like this: Lipton Soup Mix Magic is shaped like a box of dried soup, Crock Pot is shaped like a crock pot with the lid on; Land O Lakes has a domed top; Hershey’s Cocoa looks like the cocoa box; Campbell’s Casseroles like a soup can; and Quaker Oats is the classic round oatmeal box and the only one that has the nutritional information listed with the recipes. I believe it is because it is the latest to be published. Anyway if I need to know the 411 on the points+ value of a recipe I can run the recipe through my Recipe Calculator program which will give me the 411 needed to figure out the points+. OH ~ and Will brought me a book he picked up at the Library that someone donated to sell, Spirit of The West cooking from ranch house and range which is in absolute new condition without a wrinkle in the paper cover ~ cost was $3.00 and it originally sold for $35.00. It has some yummy sounding recipes from the big named ranches in Texas and Kansas. The recipes date back to the first western ranchers who came north in the 16th century from Mexico and continuing through those served at today’s dude ranches. It has pages of history intertwined with the recipes and I am going to have a great time reading it cover to cover.

I made that meat loaf recipe I posted and Will gave it 5 Star rating. That is the highest rating we use for a dish. Each of the 6 portions were a goodly sized piece of meatloaf. I have several other meat loaf recipes that I will make one day and give them a rating. Today for dinner I will be making baked Panko covered chicken breasts. I have a rack of ribs in the freezer that are calling my name to make them in to BBQ ribs done in the indoor Smoker one day next week. I’ll need to let them thaw first so some planning ahead will have to be done. I may even make a pot of baked beans to go with the ribs and a low point cabbage slaw. Will was out to Wal*Mart already and got me two boxes of Panko ~ one plain and the other lemon pepper. I love using that stuff to dredge meat in before baking it. I like a dusting of the lemon pepper Panko on pork chops. I know it is a great coating for frying also but I don’t do much frying these days. My way of cooking has definitely made a change through the years of being weight conscious. He also got a round loaf of Tuscan bread that will be great for Panini’s. Suppose that was a hint?

DONNA FAYE I do hope it all does work out where you are able to accompany Jack when he goes for that training. That’s a long time to be without your main squeeze. Your new shoes sound like they are an excellent purchase and your idea to get a tank top to wear under that sweater will be right in fashion. My mother doesn't eat cucumbers either for they upset her but she fixed them for the rest of the family. I am the only one in the family that can't handle cantalope also ~ makes me sick to even smell it. When it was served when I lived at home I was always excused to leave the dining room. Will loves it and eats it outside. Chopped celery could work in that recipe instead of the cucumber I would imagine and not add any points.

JEAN It will be interesting just how they do incorporate that huge bell. It may take two hands like you said to ring it ~ maybe take two people to ring it. The gas prices here are higher than yours for we are at $3.59 and may even be higher this afternoon. I saw a crock-pot recipe for pork chops in the new little book that takes apple rings that will work well with using my dried apples, which put a smile on my face. I think what the folks who compiled these books did was publish their favorites in each category to promote their product.

Have a wonderful Friday Magnolias I will type at y'all later.
  • Good evening ladies. It's been thunderstorms for 2 days again so temps have stayed in the 80s.

I had to work today so that took up the morning and afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going to tea with Glory and 2 of our friends. More fun!

Faye, cola and some other soda drinks have phosphorous and that leeches calcium from your bones. I'm not allowed to have any. Calcium supplements may or may not work. They have been found to not be as effective as calcium we get from food. The body can only absorb 500 mg of calcium at a time so if a supplement has more than that, it's wasted. I take 3 a day with breakfast, lunch and dinner. And you have to have vitamin D at the same time as calcium or it isn't absorbed. I have a terrible time keeping mine above 30 which is the lowest. Right now it's at 22 and I take vitamins withs calcium, Calcium with D and 50,000 units of D once a week so the are doctor told me to add another vitamin D supplement daily. I'm in that old catch 22 - the steriods I take for asthma and COPD cause osteoporosis but I can't breath without them. I traveled 2 weeks a month for years when I worked for General Tire and the only thing they paid for in advance was plane fare and hotel. I had to pay for meals, parking, tolls and then turn it on an expense report once a month.

Jean, that bell will surely add a lot to your concerts. It must be a bit difficult to cast a bell with a true note.

Maggie, you must have a large collection of cookbooks by now! Thanks for sharing so many of your recipes. They are always winners.

Have a great evening!
  • Good afternoon to you all. I am having intestinal troubles today so am kind of blah. I think I figured out why the hormones cause the problem. Seems the lining stuff will go through my intestines and irritate them. So, I will just make sure I have immodium if it gets bad, which is what my dr recommended.

Susan: I don't take my calcium all at once either and my calcium has vitamin d attached too. I am going to ask my dr about having a bone density test done since I have never had one. I don't know how old drs think you should be before having one. Since Jack wasn't hired with the underestanding of travel, he can't be forced to travel with reimbursement instead of pay ahead. Not one of the guys that will be going to these classes is willing to do a reimbursement. Everyone of them went to the director and said either you pay for this ahead or we don't go. So, they will have to figure out something. The problem is, I think the guys are afraid the city won't pay them back if they agree to travel with a reimbursement.

Maggie: I would love to go. I found a reasonable Residence Inn where we just pay a pet deposit and we can take Fortune. They are full kitchens so we could buy groceries and not have to eat out every night too. They have an indoor pool and a nice galleria mills mall close by. We don't know where these classes will be located or if they will definitely go to Pittsburgh. They might have to go to SCarolina, but Jack said it looks like it is more than likely Pittsburgh. I love canteloupe and eat it all the time when I can find good ones. It does have a strong smell though so I imagine for someone who doesn't like it, it could be upsetting. Hopefully, you never visit someone who has an air freshner or candles in their house that are canteloupe.

Jean: Baked beans and Snickers salad, sounds like a winner to me. My son-in-law has a birthday on the day Elvis died next week. He was 10 years old at the time and I was 6 months pregnant with his wife! I am just going to get him a restaurant gift card. I don't know what else to do for him. He has everything and is kind of picky about things.

Well girls, I am going to get some work done around the house. Have a nice Saturday. Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cool and cloudy day in my neighborhood. I've been doing laundry, watching the Olympics, and sneaking up on making food for tomorrow. I need to go back to the store for Miracle Whip since it's on sale this week and the store was "out." You'd think they would plan ahead and stock up on sale items!

Maggie -- I have seen the cookbooks that are in the shape of the containers and they are cute. My main concern about the new bell is table space. My four bells fit on one table and there are four more larger bells inbetween me and the end of the line where she usually has three tables. We may have to invest in another table if the whole bottom octave is needed. I noticed meat prices have gone up in the store; I might invest in a small freezer yet.

Susan -- I'm sure you are enjoying your tea right about now. I didn't know about the body only absorbing 500 mg of calcium at a time. My pills are 1200 and it says to take 2 - 3 a day, with food. I also take an additional 1000 D supplement.

"Gma" -- I hope your tummy has settled down by now. I think gift cards are a hit no matter what the age. I'm sure your son-in-law will appreciate your gift. I did read where there is a large amount of cards that never get used which is sad. We always use ours asap.

Bob says it is past lunch time so guess that is my cue. Hope you all enjoy your Saturday!
  • Simply Sunny Hot Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a nice 75º day here in the ♥-Land and expected to stay in the low 90ºs which is certainly welcomed after those many days of triple digits. We went out to go check out the flea market today didn’t and see any fresh veggies we needed but we did see our soap making friend and had a nice long chat with her.

We looked for Wholly Guacamole in the freezer compartments in the local markets and didn’t find any and did realize that they have it in the fresh veggie compartment by the salads. We picked up a box today. I have some fresh avocados that I plan to make my own out of and freeze it into small 2 oz sized packets. 2 oz of avocado is 2 points+. The spices that are in the Wholly Guacamole are vinegar, jalapenos, salt and granulated garlic. I have some powdered jalapeno that would work in it and may use lemon juice in place of the vinegar when I make my own. I have them in a paper bag to ripen.

We put a rack of ribs in the fridge from the freezer to thaw, for I am going to BBQ them today in my indoor pressure smoker for dinner. I will have a lite lunch so as to have room for a good yummy dinner within my points range. I mixed a box of chocolate cake with a box of angel food cake mixes together and will make individual desserts topping them with fat free sauce of some sort, for 1P+ each or 2P+ depending on the topping I choose. Easy to make and yummy with low points to boot. Heres another thing on calcium ~ my doc said I am getting enough in the food I eat and my one a day vitimin that will stay in my system to do the work and anymore will just be wasted effort. Differnt strokes for different folks and only your doctor knows what "you" need.

DONNA FAYE I do hope you are feeling much better now as the day has progressed some. Most companies do re-imburse travel expenses after the fact and don't pay up front before the travel. Looks like your husband will have to file a complaint with his union to get things changed to get the money up front. Seems to me if a person needs the training the company will provide all it takes for the workers to get it and not burdon the worker.

JEAN AH but stores put the old stock on sale before they restock the newer items. So it looks like the old Miracle Whip got sold out and the next batch will be regular price for the new unless you can get a "rain" check. Usually a store will issue rain checks if they run out of an item they have put on sale. You just have to ask. I think my dauther will get a kick out of those cookbooks come Christmas time when I send them her way.

SUSAN Sounds like your doctor has a taylor made regimin for you to follow to keep you on an even keel. That's a lot of pill popping. I do have a lot of cookbooks and Will keeps adding to my collection. My bookshelf here in my office is full to overflowing. I have all the ones I have clipped from WW & Cooking Light magazines alphabatized in 15 ~ 9x12 ~ 3 ring binders which are all on one shelf. They are, 3 main, 2 sauce & mixes, 2 veggie, 3 sweets, & 1 each of soup, sandwich, bread, breakfast, & outdoor. The top and bottom shelves are various cookbooks. Books by WW, Cooking Light, Betty Crocker, BH&G and others of wood fire cooking and BBQ, wok and cast iron, crock pot and stir fry etc. If you ever need a recipe don't hesitate to ask.

Have a glorious weekend Magnolias.