Worldly Chicks - August is Agreeing With Us

You're on Page 11 of 19
Go to
  • Morning
    Nothing new here except work.

Mel
    Glad the week end wasn't to bad.

Happy
    I used to like growing things but even that I don't do any more. No time to take care of it. I had some thyme and oregano growing in the yard and found some the other day while raking th pine needles. I may move some of it closer to the house not that I'll be using it. I know to much garlic would put my tummy in a whirl wind.
  • Good Monday morning ladies,

I had such a fun weekend attending Irish Fest Friday night with my friend and then again yesterday with DMIL. Enjoyed lots of Irish music, dancing and humorous storytelling. I took a beginning Irish dance class, and also a class that taught a bit of the Irish language (specifically Irish "chat up" (or pick up) lines. I'm so glad I was able to talk DMIL into going with me on Sunday. While she really enjoys the music and dancing at the festivals, she doesn't much like the crowds or walking around. Luckily, most of the performances we enjoyed were in the same area which limited the amount of walking and fighting the crowds. DMIL really, really enjoyed the day and told me later that she was so glad that I talked her into going.

I highly recommend that if you like Irish dance at all, check out Brian Cunningham on YouTube. And if you like what you see, you can order his DVD "In the Blood" from atlanticsteps.com. I bought the DVD at Irish Fest on Friday night and played it for DMIL on Saturday, which convinced her to go with me on Sunday. It's a lovely story of how music and dance has always been in his family and most of the time he performs with his brother and sisters and his mom and dad take care of the backstage duties. Brian Cunningham is incredibly talented, not to mention quite handsome.

My back didn't do well on Friday night as we did a lot more walking around. I was quite sore on Saturday and spent nearly all day relaxing, though I did mow the lawns. I got absolutely no decluttering done...but I can get back to it a little bit each evening and next weekend. Thankfully, although I was sore last night it wasn't as bad as Friday night and today, I'm not too sore at all.

Poor DH's weekend wasn't nearly as fun. He worked 11 hours on Saturday and 5 more on Sunday. He said he might meet us at Irish Fest, but I suggested that what he really should do was go home and relax...which is what he ended up doing. I picked up dinner on the way home from the Festival, and we all went to went to bed early. He will get two comp days, but he's using them for his trip to CA in early September. He's going to spend a couple days in Yosemite National Park before he loads DMIL's things into a moving van and brings them back to WI.

Warning...food p*rn ahead...Like all Wisconsin festivals, the food at Irish Fest was amazing. There was Irish Stew, Pot Roast, Guiness-based everything (from stew to cakes), fabulous desserts. The two things I did try were the Irish Nachos (homemade potato chips, covered in cheddar cheese and chunks of corned beef), and the Reuben Rolls (Corned Beef, Swiss Cheese and Sauerkraut wrapped in an egg roll wrapper and deep fried, and served with Thousand Island dressing for dipping). Completely unhealthy and wonderfully delicious!! They also had a variety of Irish beers, wines, mead and whiskeys...but I skipped those since I was the designated driver both days.

==================================

Laura - Why did you go to Rockford to have lunch with BF's mom and nieces? Is that where the nieces live? That is quite a long way. Glad you had a nice lunch. How old are the nieces? Poor Coal for getting so scared at the vet and then losing his footing. Are there any vets that make house calls? I know that some do that. We actually give our dogs treats that contain chamomile to help relax them when we take them to the vet or the groomers. I hope bf's birthday was really fun. I've decided against having a big party, but instead am having multiple weekends of celebrations (like the get together with Laura and Annie on 9/8), and then later in September DH, DMIL and I will be getting together with a family friend in Chicago.

Ellen - Bummer that you have to work on Sept. 8 (and every weekend). It would've been fun to meet up with you too. Good on ya' for getting all the kids ready for school.

Shad - Sorry that your DS1 has to deal with Jekyll and Hyde. I hope things balance out for them soon. I'm thrilled that you are getting a nice well-deserved break between contracts!

Happy - I actually think stick bugs are cool...at least the dwarf ones we get here in the States. It amazes me when a creature adapts to blend in so well with its surroundings. Your tomato soup and pasta sauce sound delish!! Bummer that you had to postpone your picnic. I hope your tummy is doing better today. Too funny about the cookies, and DH thinking you ate them all after telling him he couldn't eat them. Your picnic will probably be more enjoyable on a weekday since not as many tourists will be there.

Mel - So sorry to hear about your sinus/asthma attack. I do hope you're feeling better by now.

Ceejay - DH and I are not looking forward to the ragweed and goldenrod blooming. I hope your stomach is feeling better. I know that when my sinuses/allergies are bad, I sometimes get queasy...and also some of the stronger allergy meds make me queasy as well.

Annie - I hope the cookout at DS's house was fun. Happy B'day to DS! When is C's b'day?

I'd better get back to work.

Much love and many hugs to all,
  • Almost lunchtime. I'll just post a quick hello and come back later for personals.

Saturday I went to a circuit class, and then packed up for the bday gathering and then took doggy for a long walk by the creek.

Bf's bday gathering was nice - nine people in all. Accomodations were alright, but the bed I slept in was too soft and I still have an upper back/neck ache. We really didn't get much outdoors time on the lake until sunset, and it would have been nice because it was a nice day. The popular boater's bar that we went to was having a mardi gras style event and so the crowd was a bit different I think - they had a body painter on the island and there were some women displaying their painted girls... The guys didn't mind that, lol. I was disappointed that the only band was one having their performance filmed at various times throughout the day for a video, and they were a country band. Oh well. If we had a boat at our disposal, bf and I would definitely go back sometime mid-week during the day to enjoy being on the water.

Sunday we packed up and 5 of us stopped for breakfast on the way home. I didn't get enough sleep (I was not comfortable at all in that soft bed), so except for unpacking & taking doggy for a walk, I didn't do much except sit around - for a bit outside in the yard on the chaise and then on the sofa.

The boss is out sick today, so it's quiet. Still have a little bit of work to do before my budget project is done, but I will be submitting something today because it's due today!

Tonight I will get to a spinning class. I have 5 classes left on my combo pass to take by 9/2... That's not bad, shouldn't be a problem.
  • Laura - Glad bf's bday gathering was nice. Painted "girls", huh? I'll bet the guys didn't mind. Bummer about the too soft bed, but good that you were able to relax yesterday. Have fun at spinning class!
  • Good Evening All...

The stinkin' internet at work did not function today so I could not get on line. How frustrating. Couldn't even do some of my job because of it.

The birthday party at DSs house was absolutely great. His house suits he and his finance' perfectly. Out in the country. Huge deck off the back of the house that faces a tree lined lot then a small woods after that. The boys all shot rifles, guns ect into the woods for the most part. DD actually shot her first gun/rifle. She love it. Scares me. haha. I was getting ready to shoot but a couple arrived with a 5 and 6 yr old so I made the boys put everything away. Not around the kids. They respectively "minded" me. I got to see Kristin's wedding dress and the invitations. You all are invited but will not receive invites as they are only inviting 130 people. I had like 15 people I wanted invited and had to cut it back to 10. haha...they are so funny. I gave my son and future DIL their check for my contributions toward the wedding...wowser...that took the account down quite a bit.

DS loved his better than s*x cake and peanutbutter pie I made for him. Ended up taking cucumbers and onions, my salsa and chips, my zucchini bread, and something else I cannot remember. Also gave them a house warming gift of a gift card they could use to get mini blinds for their home.

Gotta go, C is home and dinner is not even started.

Love and hugs.
  • Morning all,
    Bit cooler this morning but I will accept it seeing as I am still wearing shorts and a tee shirt. Supposed to get to 23 today. There is plenty for me to do so I won't get cold any time soon and I should get out there and exercise as well before it gets too hot for that. Better make a list of things I want to achieve today.

Mel - seem to remember, my cousin the minister gave me dimensions and plans for building the ark when we were in the middle of deluge some time back - should I look them up and are you familiar with building in cubits as a measurement??

Ceejay - I used to have phenergan for a B Vitamin allergy I developed some time back. Seem to remember that it put me out for a couple of hours as well.

Michelle - glad to hear that you enjoyed the Irish fest. I like Irish dancing. I hope the stress of driving and hauling furniture and packing stuff doesn't upset the DH's lungs too much. Tell him to wear a dust mask when packing or shifting the furniture.

Laura - funny, both of my dogs loved going to the vet. It was a nice experience for the vet as well. He loved them back. Now do not ask whether the cat likes going to the vet!!!! She doesn't like anything that upsets her routine - for routine read sleep, eat, sleep some more, venture out into the sun, sleep some more and the very occasional burst of exercise.

Happy - liked the stick insect. He is on a par with some of ours. Currently we have a crop of small bitey things, so it is out with the bug spray and kill 'em off before they breed. Soon there will be heat and flies and I will be grumpy again.

Anyway, best get off here and go poison off a few weeds, dig out some soil and crud stuff in an old garden bed and get ready to turn it into a place for the bins and then plant out my vege patch. I need to also source out somed sugar cane or lucerne hay mulch for the vege patch as well. Never ending
  • Hi all,

DH and I packed up the picnic basket and headed out to the park for a walk, some fresh air and sandwiches and fruit in the woods. We got some nice shots of the waterfalls before everyone else followed us in there. He also said we'd never been on a picnic before. I reminded him yes we did (I have pictures) and at the time I was wearing a halter top with no bra because that's how we dressed back then which meant it was a long, long, LONG time ago It was a nice day. The fresh air has made me tired, it's good chilly sleeping weather so I will leave personals for the morning. Goodnight all and welcome back home to fussy Miss Puss Shad - she has still not learned any gratitude, eh?
  • MORNING EVERYONE.
    HAPPY TUESDAY / WEDNESDAY.

BROKEN FRONT DOORS LAST NIGHT. OH JOY OH JOY!
    THANK GOD IT WAS EASY TO FIXGURE OUT.
    CALLED THE MAINT. MAN IN.
    THEN SHOWED HIM WHAT I HOPED WAS RIGHT.

JEN & I HAD A CHAT WHILE SHE DID SOME WASH.
    HER FOOT IS GETTING BETTER EVERY DAY.
    BUT I THINK THE DR IS RIGHT NOW INSTEAD OF HER & I.
    IT'S GOING TO BE A LONG TIME TILL IT'S FULLY HEALED.
    OR AS HEALED AS IT CAN BE WITH THE DYSTROPHY.
    SHE'S NOT HAPPY.

NOTHING MUCH NEW.
    GOING OUTSIDE BEFORE THE BUILDING WAKES UP.
    HAVE A GREAT DAY

CEEJAY....SEEMS LIKE WE'RE HAVING THE SAME KIND OF WEEK.

MICHELLE....THE FESTIVAL SOUNDED WONDERFUL.
    GLAD YOU BOTH HAD A GREAT TIME.
    HOPE YOUR BACK & DH ARE BOTH FEELING BETTER.

LAURA....HAD A LAUGH AT THE "PAINTED GIRLS".
    OMG....WHAT A BIRTHDAY PRESENT. HARD TO GIFTWRAP!!!
    GOOD LUCK WITH THE BUDGET PROJECT
    HOPE THE ACHES & PAINS ARE SHORT LIVED.
    ONE NIGHT OFF MY MATTRESS AND MY BACK IS "BROKEN".
    HAPPY SPINNING!!

ANNIE....HOPE YOU FELT BETTER AT THE PARTY.
    GLAD YOU ALL HAD SO MUCH FUN.
    THE HOUSE SOUNDED NICE. LOVE A BIG DECK.
    YOU'RE A GOOD MOM MAKING THE FINANCIAL GIFTS

SHAD....SOON WE'LL BE BEGGING YOU TO SEND SUN & HEAT OUR WAY!!
    WE COULD USE SOME BUG SPRAY HERE. LOTS OF GNATS!!
    THEY LOVE TO BITE MY HEAD!!
    HAPPY GARDENING.

HAPPY...HAD A GOOD LAUGH AT THE HALTER TOP & GOING BRALESS.
    IT TOOK ME RIGHT BACK TO THE DAYS OF YORE!!
    THEY SEEM LIKE ANOTHER LIFETIME.
    GLAD YOU GOT TO PICNIC AND GET OUT.
    SOMETIMES WHEN I THINK OF YOU & DH I AM REMINDED OF NORTHEN EXPOSURE AND THE MOOSE.
  • Happy Tuesday ladies -

I don't understand how I can sleep all night and still wake up exhausted! After work, I stopped at the store and did the weekly shopping (since I didn't get to it on the weekend). By the time I got home, my back was killing me. I think it's still sore from the fun weekend.

It's going to be a crazy busy day today. I've got back to back to back meetings, and somewhere in there I have to test some new code so that we can get it implemented this Friday.

===========================

Shad - I'll make sure DH packs his dust masks, and tell DMIL to make sure he uses them. My dogs love going to the vet too. Of course it helps that all the vets and technicians keep their pockets full of dog biscuits!

Happy - Glad you had a good picnic and got some nice waterfall photos before the crowds joined you. Too funny about the halter top you wore for your last picnic. LOL

Mel - Broken front doors?! What next? Sorry...I shouldn't ask that and tempt fate. Glad you got the maintenance man over there to fix it. Bummer that Jen's foot will take a long time to heal. I hope the pain eases up for her. DH is doing a bit better, thanks for asking. My back is still sore...but after the fun weekend...I don't mind a bit of soreness. I just hope it eases up this week so I can get some decluttering done.

Gotta get back to it! Here's to a great day for all of us!

Much love,
  • Happy Tuesday...

Thought I would post before this place decided the internet should work or not. I swear Humana is living in the ice ages when it comes to network stuff. Blah

I am taking a vacay day tomorrow on Cs day off and we are going fishing down at Lake Lemon in Southern Indiana. We hope to catch our dinner for tonight. We are also going to walk the RR tracks picking up coal for the pit fire. I am rather excited about it. I have a hair appt with sis tonight to get my hair colored then tomorrow night I am getting is cut.

HAPPY...OMG I can remember the same halter tops. As for going braless at this age, I am afraid of stepping on my b**bies. lol. I love going on picnics and am very jealous of you and DHs adventures. Hope when I EVER get to retire, I can do the things you all do.

SHADDIE...glad to be home? THe babe is a real beauty...must get it from her G-ma. I would love to come and work in your yard with you. My pleasure and beats being here in this dump. I know, be greatful I have a job, and I am...but it is just so sad here.

MELLIE....poor Jen, I am glad she is healing but with complications of her health hanging around that has got to suck...hugs and prayers to Jen..

CHELLE....the Irish fest sounds fun and so glad DMIL had a great time too! Funny when dad fights going places but ends up going with, he has the best time ever. I think he even got to shoot a rifle at DSs house over the weekend. I wasn't out there at the time, but thought that is what I heard. The X and I used to go to an Italian fest out in the sticks every year. It was nice and the food and dance was fun. C and I are looking forward to the Covered Bridge Festival this year again, as you may or may not recall that is the day last year that lil man came into the world.

LAURA....glad the BD celebration went well, except for the sleeping in a too soft bed. I don't care where I sleep anymore as long as I sleep. I have slept sound all night long the past two nights due to Nyquil ZZZZ. It is amazing how much better I feel during the day with the rest. Hella B used to crap on the floor EVERY time I took her to the vet. I guess you might say it literally scared the crap out of her. lol

ELLEN...I always used to look at the kids going back to school was a much needed break for me, except when they got home it was homework that I could barely understand. lol

CEEG....phenergran is used for many things. The ped doc used to give it to the kids for cough. They gave it to me for my tummy after bariatric surgery. It is good stuff, but makes me sleep. There are also suppositories of it I used on the kids when they could not quit vomiting.

Guess I had better get busy here since it seems like things are working for the moment.

Hey to Java and Patty...

Loves and Hugs
  • CHELLE...you are the sneaker inner. Hope your day eases up on you and your back. Can't wait til the 8th. Make it a great day sister. Hugs
  • Michelle
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the Irish fest. Lots of good fattening food. Would have loved to try the Irish stew. How is dh doing?

Annie
    Glad you are feeling well enough to go to son's bd party. Sounds like it was a fun time with good food.

Happy
    I can remember the halter tops too. Glad you and dh are getting to do things together. Sounds like you two are enjoying retirement.

Mel
    Yikes a broken front door. Glad you called in the main. man.

Larua
    I'm proud of you on all this exercise. My shoulders, biceps and triceps are are extremely sore. But it's got to be done.

Ellen, Patty and Java
  • Morning all.

Shad – Back home and no lolling around for you, huh? Why is it that your winters seem to go by so quickly and ours so slowly? In Brisbane you don’t really have much of one do you except for the meteorlogical dates telling you it’s winter, lol. Enjoy your outside time today. Nice your dogs liked the vet – it’s so sad seeing Coal so frightened. He so nervous he won't take treats until the treatment is over.

Michelle – Glad you and DMIL enjoyed Irishfest. It sounded so fun. Sorry your back is sore, but you’ve been doing a lot and I guess it’s complaining about that. Hope your day isn’t too crazy. We went to Rockford because bf’s mother and aunt lived there for a couple years and they liked this restaurant and they thought it would be a nice little road trip with the nieces before they go back to school.

Mel – Boo on the broken doors! It's always something, isn't it?? Glad Jen’s foot is coming along, but based on my own experience, I’m not surprised about the healing process taking a long time. Yeh, I guess the painted girls was an added bonus bday treat. I saw a guy or two with painted torsos – to give them six pack abs, of course, lol. Crazy boaters.

Annie – DS’s bday party sounded nice. His house in the country sounds nice and quiet – except when the guys are shooting guns!!! Hope the internet works for you today. I’m so glad you’re getting more sleep thanks to the new Nyquil zzzzz stuff. Your vacation day sounds just wonderful. You & C be careful on those train tracks!!! Guess I should be glad doggy doesn’t poop at the vet’s office, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he did.

Ceejay – You are right about exercise – if you don’t use it, you lose it. My lack of exercise this summer certainly proven that to me.

Happy – Eeew, stick bugs! But the warning sticker in the photo was funny! Hope your tummy’s back to 100% now. Glad you put the 38 pounds of tomatoes to good use – it sounded like so much when you mentioned it. Your picnic sounds lovely. Glad you got your people-free pics. LOL, halter tops. I don’t think I wore one - I think tube tops were more popular when I was a teen. Nowadays going braless doesn’t seem as popular as wearing multilayers with all the straps showing. BTW, my niece’s school doesn’t allow the straps underneath to show. The tops have to have straps wide enough to cover all that.
    ==
    No exercise class for me last night. I had to work a bit late to finish up my project and I barely made the 6:30 train, and that was even with taking a taxi to the station. I got home around 7:15. There was an 8:00 Zumba class, but I just wasn’t up for it after my long day. But the budget info got emailed and I’m on to all the other pressing projects. Sigh.

My friend D, who was at bf’s bday gathering on Saturday told me she might not make it to the fest we’d wanted to go to in WI Dells in mid Sept because of a work thing. She’s trying to get out of it, but we’ll see. Another friend has prepaid the two hotel rooms (one for her & her hub, and one for D and me), so we’ll see if I’m going w/ D or if I have to get bf to join me. Reminds me, I need to schedule a day off that Friday.

Tonight’s movie is Hope Springs. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

That’s about it for me, so I’ll get back to the grind.
  • Oh LAURA...I want to see Hope Springs.....sure hope to get a good report from you. Have fun tonight.
  • Howdy peeps,

This morning's discussion of halter tops and straps and such begs the question - if girls wear thongs so that they don't have panty lines, then why do they walk around with tops with skinny straps and all sorts of "lines" on their tops with various things hanging out??? Hmmm, why don't they mind that? Or wearing flip flops when you have gnarly looking toes? Oh and God forbid you say anything to them - MAJOR attitude. Yes, I think wearing a tank top and having your bra straps show is as trashy now as it was before. Also hate these clingy shirts girls wear with big time belly roll / muffin top hanging out.

Woke up to a magnificent day outside. It was cool overnight but warmed up quickly. The door is open and a fresh breeze is coming through the house. Smells so good. I have to go into town to pick up 2 gifts - been procrastinating about it but it's bubbled to the top of the to do list. Also need to pick up some groceries. Last night I made a casserole type dish with thin sliced potatoes, pancetta, pan browned boneless skinless chicken thighs, rough chopped fresh tomatoes, parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Stuck it in the oven for 45 minutes and it was really good. Paired it with an arugula salad with lemon vinaigrette as recommended (got the recipe online from Food Network). A nice, not too heavy dinner and I got to use up some stuff I had around the house. I still have about 15 pounds of tomatoes to cook up - I think those will get skinned, rough chopped and then roasted with garlic and onions and then I will bag them in portions to be frozen and used for chili, pasta sauce and chicken.

Laura - I remember tube tops - scrunchies for your chest Was never fond of them - or halters for that matter either. I'm sure you will enjoy Hope Springs tonight. Not so sure that Meryl is that fond of TLJ in real life - all the post shots I've seen of them promoting the movie she is standing far away from him and not looking happy. There was a picture of him with his much younger wife at one of the movie premiers and someone commented about how big his ears are. I took a closer look and geez, they'd give my stick bug a run for the money Anyway, it's a great movie. Painted ladies reminds me of a picture I have of one lady with (what does Annie call them 38 extra longs ) and hers are painted with beagle faces. It's pretty funny. I'm sure the boys enjoyed the view. Glad the BD party went better than you thought it would.

Ceejay - yes, we are enjoying not having to go to a job each morning. We still do alot of work around the house and have lots more to do so I can't say we don't work anymore but it's sure nice to look at the weather, see a nice day coming up and go make plans to do something outside and actually enjoy it. You could probably grow a nice herb garden that didn't need much maintenance - even in pots. My rosemary was growing into quite the tree but unfortunately I had no where to put it inside when we moved here and it died a frosty death last winter I felt kind of bad about that. But I totally understand not having the time to fuss with a garden - even if it's only weeding and watering flowers.

Annie - I totally get you on stepping on the girls DH said I should go braless when home cleaning the house and I said nope at my height it's way too easy to kept walking into things and pinching the nips Your fishing trip with C sounds like so much fun. What's this about picking up coal bits along the train tracks??? Hey, you don't have to be jealous of us, we are just "paving the way" as I tell my sister and working out all the kinks and gotchas for everyone else that comes along after us - believe me it's not all roses and violins Isn't it sad - thinking back I remember that there might be one or two people in the crowd who were in a job from Heckland who were in a miserable situation but most of us either loved our jobs or had enough good times to balance out the occasional bad moments and now pretty much everyone (besides Michelle and wait - she's still on her honeymoon ) is not happy with corporate life anymore. Are you saying that it's Little Man's first birthday already???? I can't believe a year has passed - he has really sprouted from his humble beginnings and looks adorable. He will make a fine match for Miss Sophia although it sounds like he might have to pass a pretty intensive interogation from her momma

Michelle - sounds like you are back to running at full speed and enjoying life. I hope you get enough time between meetings to check your systems. Guess indoctrination is over and now you are old hat on the team Not sure I have an answer to your sleepiness other than you probably have alot on your mind and are not sleeping as deeply as you might like to. The food you described at the Irish Fest sounds amazing. I am soooo hungry after reading that - can I have a sample plate of everything please?

Mel - glad the doors were an easy fix and not alot of "don't have any" cash needed to get them working. Your comment about the moose reminded me of a field we pass that has a big flat "cut out" of a moose set far in the back - you almost miss it driving by and it's not until you've passed by a couple of times that you realize it's not real because it's always in the same place back by the trees. Some of the bars have moose heads mounted on the walls. Those are some BIG animals let me tell you. We have elk around here too but haven't seen any of them yet. That's what I like about here - always something new to see. Starting to see the return of the eagles too from where ever they decide to summer it out. I'm sorry about Jen having to come to grips with her body. That has to be frustrating to be so young and have to face that but I guess you have to keep a positive spirit and a keen eye to keep from hurting yourself. It's good that you can give her some gentle encouragement and an insight to what may lie ahead.

Shad - I think we could all take a bit of your winter but none of us would be happy with your summers. Being away as you are, does it make sense to plant the veggies or does DS take care of the garden when you are away? It's nice that you have a bit of time off before you head back out again. I'm sure there are things that need catching up on the homefront.

Guess I'd better get rolling before the day gets away from me. Have to go uncover the tomatoes and give everything a drink before I head into town. And I'm probably going to be very sorry I had a second cup of coffee - didn't think about potty stops today.

Hellos to Ellen, Java and Patty Have a good day all.