Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #1  
Thin Within

Talking Steel Magnolias #21

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 88ºs here in the ♥-Land at 9:30 am and said to get as high as 103ºs this beautiful sunshiny day with no in sight. I am planning on attending WW this evening and expecting to take a hit since I missed going last week. We are going to make a real effort to not eat out so much. I count the points but some “sources” say that the listings for restaurants points+ are not quite accurate so that doesn’t help in trying to keep close track. I think we are going to start by just eating out once on Sunday after morning services and eat “in” the rest of the meals. It has just become so easy to eat out these hot days that I don’t really feel like cooking. How did my mother do it ~ we never at out when I was a kid.

I was just looking at my palm where I had burned a spot with hot solder some days ago. It is sure taking a long time for it to heal completely for it must have been a deep burn. There is just a tiny little scab hanging on. When I finish this building I will have to wait for an order to be made for I will be out of solder. I don’t like using the kind that the hardware store carries for it doesn’t flow like the brand I get from the Glass Crafter folks. They should be the same but they just aren’t.

I think Cecil misses his little kitten friend but we had him taken to the shelter where someone will adopt him ~ for folks are always looking for a cute little kitten. The shelter man figured someone just dumped the kitten into our yard because it is near impossible for anything to get into this yard because of the fencing ~ except maybe a snake and I have not seen any of those since moving here. There are always folks dumping dogs on our friends ranch in Texas. Guess some folks dump animals onto people who they know will take care of them. I suppose it is just easier than taking an animal to the shelter for some people. That is a definite mindset. I remember as a kid when we moved and had to leave our cat behind but my mother found a family to take him in and care for him. He was a big yellow tabby that we called Brother John. I was in kindergarten and remember singing “are you sleeping, are you sleeping Brother John? Morning bells are ringing . . . “ and so on. I don’t know if it is a real song or if I made it up ~ but I remember the tune.

SUSAN My food sealer takes rolls of bagging and will cut any size I want and is easy to use ~ I think it is the largest one they make ~ Food Saver model V3420. I will have to look out for those bags you mentioned for it would sure be handy to have on hand for those times when I don’t want to get out the “sealer.” They are getting so trick with all those bags now aren’t they. I love having the snack sized bags. I use those for my jerky then put them in a bigger freezer bag. Sounds like you had a fun time with your friend quilting. It is great to do things with friends. I certainly hope your chiropractor is able to help your pain go away. Sometimes the manipulation and such can help out tremendously.

DONNA FAYE for your weight loss. Just do the best you can and don’t stress on it and you will be down some more before your vacation. When one isn’t well they say is not the best time to try to lose weight. You have been through some real tough times here lately. Jicama doesn’t have a strong taste whatever one thinks it might taste like. I love the crunch and like it with a light dusting of Cayenne pepper. I do hope that your neclaces are what you expected and will work well with your outfits.

JEAN Good day to you this day.

I hope all is well with you Magnolias ~ type at y’all later ~

Last edited by Maggie; 07-23-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! It is another hot and humid day in my neighborhood. There is no rain in the forecast and 90+ all week. The crops are beginning to show the lack of rain around here, and they were looking pretty good. Guess prices are expected to go up alot on everything. We balanced quickly this morning, and my gift shop money is questionable. Either the volunteer didn't get the employee to fill out their paperwork, or someone didn't pay cash for something written on the report. In other words I'm short money!

"Gma" -- on another 3.5#s gone! You are doing GREAT! Our crops, right around us, were looking pretty good because we had gotten some rain. But they are beginning to show stress, so who knows. We had a few drops of rain last night. I heard it on the bathroom skylight and went downstairs to check the deck to be sure. The rain gauge said 0.01.

Susan -- I wish you could send some of your rain westward! I remember life without air conditioning many years ago. We did have a window unit when I was fairly little because my mom had asthma. Unfortunately, it wasn't even close to my bedroom. I will have to look for the perfect portion bags; that sounds like a great idea! I hope your back feels better soon.

Maggie -- Eating out is definitely bad for me! I'm fine if I decide what to order before getting to the restaurant and then stick to that. Bob likes to order goodies like cheese balls or onion rings which are hard to resist. We have lots of stray cats running loose around town. The you-know-who don't spay nor neuter plus, when they move on, they leave the animals here to fend for themselves. Makes me ! I keep hoping you will find some cooler weather and send it my way.

I have to run a couple errands and make my bank deposit so had better keep moving. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 07-23-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:02 AM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Just thought I’d pop in and tell you my weigh in news ~ I am up 1.4. Actually not as much of a gain as I expected but non-the-less it is a gain and I had better do better this coming week. Yep, I had better watch it real close. Since they were on sale I bought the take along containers that have that ring in the lid that can be frozen to keep the contents nice and cold. One is for salad and the other for fruits. It was neat how I got them for when I went out to the Jeep afterwards when Will came to pick me up I told him about those neat bows that were on sale for a reduced price this week and he opened his door and went in and bought them for me. What a nice guy he is. He does know how I love my fruits and veggies so when we are out and about at meal time I will be prepared and not have an excuse to not have them along for a OP meal. He can buy a burger or whatever it is he wants and I will be happy with my fruits and veggies.

JEAN It is 86 right now and it is 10:45 pm and it got up to 107 today. cooler tomorrow at 106 ~ we shall see for it usually gets higher then they say. I would dearly love to see the 90s. Sorry I can't help you out by sending you cooler weater for it looks like we are hotter here than you are there. We have a neighbor across the street that has a cat that likes to come over here and have her babies under one of our sheds and then she carries them back across the street one at a time but at least she takes them home. The shed she likes to have her babies under is outside of our backyard fence between our fence and the church building there is quite a large space. I am so thankful that moma cat takes her babies home and we don't have to deal with them. I have seen her going home for food then coming back to her babies. I guess there isn't a place across the street that moma cat feels comfortable to have her babies over there. They don't bother us a bit under that shed and our dogs can't get to them. I sure hope you can get that money problem at the gift shop straightened out. Someone knows what happened.

In the am I am going to have my ducks in a row and try to make a menu for the week. I don't usualy do that but I think I will give it a go now that I have the freezers rearranged and know exactly what I have in there and can locate items it would be a good time to make a menu ~ don't ya think.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #4  

Good morning gals. I worked upstairs yesterday and got it all sparkling clean again. Today, I am going to veg out and work on that sock. I haven't worked on it much because of the spasms on and off in my finger, probably from knitting so much!

I got my necklaces yesterday afternoon and they will all be perfect. One had come apart, but the eyehook was open too far so Jack brought me a pair of his little needle nose pliers and I hooked it back through the other eye and closed it tight so it is good as new. I have to say for very inexpensive jewelry it is not cheap in quality. A couple of them only cost me a couple dollars each. I am definitely all set with jewelry for the cruise now and clothing and shoes.

The ship has a meet and mingle you can sign up for and they provide a space to meet, food and snacks to meet others sailing with you. We started out for several weeks with not enough people. Well, it is up to 110 now!!! Most of them belong to the thread on Cruisecritic.com so Jack and I are getting to know them a bit beforehand. Probably 98% have cruised before many of them several times and they know each other. A lot of them are big drinkers/partiers even though they are around our age so I told Jack we will participate in what we agreed to, but I am not hanging out with them and he agreed. We are having a gift exchange where you are supposed to bring something from your area or state as a gift for less then $10. I bought a bottle of Corky's bbq sauce and bottle of their rib rub. It is a well known restaurant and has been on some of the travel channel Memphis BBQ restaurants and such like that. I thought it was better than a stupid mug or something. Also we signed up for the cabin crawl, which I have thought better of since then with the number of people involved, but I won't pull out as I agreed. You volunteer your cabin for people to come and look at. We are the only promenade cabin in the group.

I decided to go ahead and buy Fortune a Thundershirt and it should be here in the next couple days. We will see if it helps him from having so much anxiety when he goes away from home.

Susan: Thanks for the info on the jicama. I read it stores well as it doesn't discolor like a potato would or an apple after you peel it and you can keep it in the fridge for two weeks once it has been peeled. The commissary had a new Chex Mix I wanted to try and Jack and I had a serving (1/2 c) last night. It was italian herb and parmesaan and boy was it every good. It is 2 pt a serving, which is not bad and 1 starch for my exchange. Sounds like you had a nice time with Sandy. Sure hope the dr can fix your back. Backaches can be the worst because they can be so debillitating and keep you from moving almost.

Jean: Our gas prices have jumped about 40-50 cents in the last month. They jumped 10 cents from the morning when Jack went to work until he came home in the afternoon. I think Jack said Walmart gas is $3.29 as of yesterday afternoon. I just hope it doesn't skyrocket right before out trip. We did have ac either and I remember in the summer laying in the heat just waiting for it to cool off or blow a breeze through the windows.

Maggie: It is sad the way people do animals. Most shelters and such have programs to cheaply spay or neuter pets and frankly if you can't afford a pet, don't have one. They aren't cheap to take care of properly anymore that's for sure. Hope your village is coming along nicely. I agree that eating out can be a killer even if you try and pick something healthy. You never know what goes on in that kitchen when they prepare stuff.

Well gals, I am going to get myself some breakfast and get my morning going. Have a good one today. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Hot Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is already 87ºs here in the ♥-Land and they say it will get over 105ºs this day. I am so looking forward to fall weather and hopefully it will be cooler then. Will has an interview to do with a reporter of the local paper today for he is the only one in this area for miles around that does gun restoration. The reporter got interested in Will when he attended one of his “show and tell” presentations around town. I am still planning on making a menu for the week ~ at least making a good attempt at it. It shouldn’t be a big chore since we have decided to eat in more often now.

One of the college students that has adopted us as grandparents is going to go to Florida for a few days to lay on the beach before school starts. She is currently working at I-Hop and is a real character. We met her when she was working at the place where we get our coffee. She is studying to be a doctor and is quite a smart little gal. Anyway Will gave her much bigger tip then usual when we were there last evening and told her to call us if she ran into any trouble on her mini vacation. We have some good friends in Florida near where she is going that would help her out in a ♥-beat if we gave them a call if she ran into any trouble. Her eyes got so wide with surprise it was precious. Anyway it is good that she has adopted us for she is looking for a job that isn’t waitressing. Will turned her onto a job opening at the museum that she would be good at and is meeting her this afternoon to introduce her to the director who has become our good friend. Hopefully she will get hired there for she could work there around her school schedule. There are other college students working there. I don’t know why he wouldn’t hire her for the museum position ~ but we shall see. One day we will call her Doctor. We know several students that are studying to be doctors for this is an excellent school for them to attend and study in that direction.

I just took a drink of my coffee and looked up at the ceiling ~ YIKES the fan needs dusting for it has picked up dust from the air on its blades. That, my friends, will be taken care of today. It is so dusty here because of all the fields around ~ makes me sneeze.

DONNA FAYE I bet it is a load off your mind that you now have all you planned to buy to take on your cruise. It is neat that your jewelry turned out as you expected or maybe even better. I am limited on what jewelry I can wear since I get a rash if it isn't gold. I can wear some silver but not for long periods of time. I still have the gold earrings my father bought me for a graduation present back in the day. They are a tiny gold chain that goes though the hole in the ear and has white glass balls on each end that screw on the chain. Anyway I am so glad that you can wear costume jewelry for there is so many pretty things out there that I would love to wear but can't. My mom is the same way but my sisters could wear anything. You are fortunate. Feels good to have your upstairs all clean and tidy once again doesn't it. I would love to be able to hire you if we lived closer to clean my house. Your gift of BBQ sauce sounds yummy. Yep, a very good choice.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers! I went to a luncheon meeting near the cabin, and was gone most of the day. The car said it was 100 on the way home. The crops are beginning to look pretty stressed and the cattle were huddled under whatever shade they could find. I really feel sorry for the black cows.

Maggie, you will have the small gain gone by next week for sure! I haven't seen the bowls, but they sound like a good idea. It's nice of you to offer help to your young friend if she would need it while on vacation. Let's not talk about dust! The sheet rock is coming off next Saturday; I'm hoping the doors will be here soon so we can put the room back together. I have paint samples taped to the walls.

"Gma," I'm glad you like your new jewelry and could fix the broken piece. Being able to get acquainted before the cruise is nice. Perhaps there will be others who feel as you do about the party people. A little of that goes a long way for me/us. I hope you get something nice in the gift exchange. Does the whole group cabin crawl together or just a few and when invited? Gas is 10 cents higher up at the lake. We have hauled gas cans up for the boat because there is only one place to get gas on the lake and the price is almost double.

I am heading to bed. See you tomorrow!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #7  

Good morning gals. Took Jack to work at 5 AM as I have a gyn recheck today at 9. So I will be heading upstairs to the shower in just a bit and getting ready to go. I have to drop off a prescription refill of Jack's on the way then pick them up when I am through at the drs. I have a couple errands to run, then lunch, then back to Jack's work to pick him up.

It is going to be very hot today, near 100 degrees not counting heat index which is probably around 110 with this humidity. I do look forward to a cooler fall, not cold, but cooler. My big concern now is NO hurricanes for vacation. We didn't buy vacation insurance so we would lose a huge amount of money if that happened.

I have started using my tanning towels to see how they will work for the cruise. I am on day two and I noticed some coloring this morning when I was out in the natural light so I imagine it will do me fine. I just want some color all over as I look like a fishes belly at the moment. I haven't been swimming at Kelly's at all this year with Jack going to work so early I don't feel like getting up at 4 AM so I can go swimming.

Maggie: Several piece of jewelry are resin, which I really like. I wear big chunky stuff because of my size and not much dainty jewelry though I have several things like that bought for me over the years. Hope that young lady stays safe and has a nice time. It would make me nervous having my daughter go by herself to Florida I am afraid.

Jean: I am not totally sure about the cabin crawl or how many people are signed up except there are only 5 cabins signed up to tour. I imagine most people could care less so shouldn't be too many. On top of that, most of these people have cruised repeatedly and on this ship so probably don't care to participate, at least I am hoping that is the way it will be. This group have plans to have dinner Saturday night at Port Canaveral, then meet at one of the bars as soon as we set sail, then the next evening is the meet and mingle and a whole bunch of them are doing their excursions together. I want to meet some new people, but I don't want to hang around with the same group for the whole trip. We plan on going to dinner with them Saturday, skip the Sunday afternoon bar thing and do the meet and mingle and that's it.

Well girls, I need to do chores, get breakfast and get going to go out this morning. Have a good middle of the week. Faye
Old 07-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Hot Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Surfice it to say it is another hot day here in the ♥-Land expected to be in the triple digits and the whole week will follow with the same. Those water bladder bags that fit around the trunks of our little trees are working great to keep them hydrated. Hopefully at least we can keep them alive. The one that is on our Willow tree in the front yard is a green donut shape around the bottom of the trunk. The one on the maple in the side yard fits around the trunk and is brown in color. Our little dwarf apple tree in our back yard didn’t produce apples this year as they said it would so maybe next year it will. Right now it is just a cute little tree doing well. The other apple tree produced a good crop this year and the bugs didn’t get them before we did. We did spray to keep them away though. I am sad that our strawberries didn’t make it but we got the best ones yesterday from the market that were grown out in CA that were the best we have had so far. They were all ripe with none rotten in the bottom. I sliced them up, sprinkled a tad bit of Splenda® on them and served them with a squirt of fat free whipped cream and they were yummy. The leftovers we will have today.

Today is a good day to clean out my desk drawer and re-arrange the things that get stashed away in it. Also I will attack the “junk” drawer in the kitchen. Will adds to it on occasion and I re-arrange things so they are more easily found when one wants something in that drawer.

Cecil is getting so big it is hard to believe he isn’t a year old yet and still just a kitten. He has been hanging around inside more lately during the day because it is so hot outside. The dogs hesitate to go outside also. I got a good laugh at Cecil grouching at me when he came in from outside. It’s like I could do something about it. I take care of his creature comforts so why not turn down the heat outside also. I am just a mere mortal and limited in what I can do. OH ~ the little skudder just bounded under my desk and un-plugged my computer. It still works though, because it is charged 100%. I’ll get it plugged back in soon though. What he did was tip over a basket containing binders which bumped the cord and caused it to come out of the wall a tad bit and broke the connection. After he did that he scooted out of here like he was being chased ~ hopped over Ragg Mopp who is in the hallway and off to the front room he goes.

To make it easy since this is Wednesday and we have class tonight I think I will do a “Shepherds Pie” from Schwan’s® for dinner and then we will have leftovers tomorrow. I’ll serve it with a side veggie and some fruit and cottage cheese. The Shepherds Pie is a mixture of ground beef, peas, carrots, tomatoes, celery, green peppers & onions ~ topped with a layer of mashed potatoes. It is really quite yummy and costs me 8P+ per serving. There are 4 servings in the tray. This is one of those things that we like to have in the freezer for such times as these or for unexpected guests even. I also have some stir fry meals frozen which are company friendly.

DONNA FAYE From the sound if it you have a very busy day ahead of you. Be safe and as cool as possible. Inside most buildings is nice and cool but the getting between them can be a scorcher. I am sure that what ever it is you end up doing on your cruise you will have a great time. Especially now that you have all your out fits together and ducks in a row. Now, hopefully, the weather does co-operate.

JEAN & SUSAN I hope your day is going well with you.

Type at y’all later ~

Last edited by Maggie; 07-25-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Weather is SSDD here. I ran some errands this morning and stopped by the grocery store without a list . . . big mistake. This afternoon I went to church to get the monthly newsletter put together and labeled so it's ready to mail. Other than that not much going on. Tomorrow I'm getting my nails done and meeting another retired teacher for coffee in the afternoon.

"Gma" -- You were up early this morning! I hope you got a quick catnap in sometime today. People are beginning to wonder what our winter is going to be like, and speculation has it will be very, very cold and lots of snow. We had such a mild winter last year we are probably due for a "normal" one. I hope the tan towels turn out to be just what you wanted.

Maggie -- I should clean out a couple drawers in the kitchen. I noticed this morning the one by the bread corner and toaster has crumbs in it. I opened a bedroom window for Ernie this morning and since it was in the shade he stayed there for quite awhile. He teases to have the back door open, but it is on the west side and way too hot in the afternoon. He is just a little spoiled.

Hope you all are keeping cool and enjoying your day.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #10  

Good Morning, Flowers! It was 67 degrees when I went downstairs this morning! We got almost a 1/4" of rain last evening; it came down hard and fast for a few minutes. It's supposed to hit 90 this afternoon. I've been to get my nails done, have laundry going, and need to do some serious dusting and vacuuming. This afternoon I have a coffee date. Bob went up to the cabin to work on some rotten wood around a rain gutter.

Not much else is newsy. I need to get busy and accomplish something visible so Bob can tell when he gets home. Have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies. I am sitting watching CSI Miami and knitting this morning.

Today is laundry and chores day. We are shampooing carpets downstairs this weekend and getting things ready for Jay and Jackson to visit next weekend. Jack's procedure is a week from tomorrow and I sure hope they don't have to put another stent in. The last one they put in clogged at the bottom and that's how he ended up with heart bypass surgery so it makes me really nervous.

My dr appt went great. The biopsy says no tumors, no cysts, no cancer and all the dysplasia, which was quite a lot when we started all this the beginning of the year is GONE!!! She said my uterus is not wide, but it is very long. Comes from having a baby that was 24 inches long!!! Thanks, Jay! She said her only concern is that when I go off the meds I start bleeding and bloodclotting. So, I am on the meds until the end of October then in November I make an appt to see her again and all we can do it wait. She didn't think she had, but she did reduce the meds this time around and I think that's why I am not having problems like before. I told her I was feeling pretty good. She is funny as she told me she really thinks I should take a dr with me on the cruise just to be sure. l: I told her I would work on it.

Jean: We can barely get below 80 at night and the humidity is just so awful. I do wonder what we will be like this winter. We are not equipped to have snow and ice for sure. The city is at a standstill with just 3 inches of snow. Do you buy too much or not enough if you forget a list??? I end up forgetting half the stuff. I have looked all over for jicama and can't find it in any of the grocery stores around here so guess I won't be able to try it.

Maggie: I need to clean out every drawer in the house and clean out the garage and the deck and the list goes on and on. It is just so hot here and without the central air, the rooms just don't cool off enough to do extensive stuff. It is going to have to wait until fall I am afraid.

I bought these great snack chips yesterday. They are the Special K cracker chips. You get 27 in a serving and they are pretty low pts too. I got the ranch flavor and they are really good.

Well gals, I need to go. You all have a great day today!!! Faye
Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 85ºs and not said to get over the high 90ºtoday. Wow ~ under 100ºs will be a treat. We just got a couple spits of rain last evening that didn’t amount to even getting things wet but the temperature has dropped and that is a good thing.

I just ate an Italian Panini from our favorite coffee place, Mokas Café, and it was sure delicious. I always have them hold the sauce and use light cheese when we get food from there. It had roast beef and cheese, lettuce, tomato and onion in it ~ cooked in a press that melted the cheese and all else together. Will brought it to me when he came back with our coffee. We like to split a sandwich when we get one from there. They give you a choice of chips or an apple there. When I want to spend the points I like a small bag of Miss Vickie’s Jalapeno all natural kettle cooked potato chips. That sandwich will hold me now till dinner time which will be a re-peat of last evening’s meal. Then some watermelon later in the evening will be delicious. We finished up the strawberries last evening. Need to get some more of those wonderful globes.

DONNA FAYE I certainly hope your doc was joking about having a doctor along on your cruise because if she wasn't she is seriously concerned about your condition. And surely those cruise ships have doctors on them or do they just air lift folks off when they have a need for a doctor. Surely they have that all covered to keep folks safe. It is like a floating city with all the needs aboard. What fun you will have. I'll have to get some of those chips for they do sound like they are really good tasting ~ then that is a plus for the program. That is odd that big place that you live in doesn't know jicama. I bet if you asked the man that stocks the produce he would get some in. When we moved to MN the butchers didn't know tri-tip and we were so used to getting it in CA. We didn't get any in MN untill one of the markets hired a butcher from CA and he "knew" tri-tip and would get it in for us. Once he got some in other folks were asking for it also. Ask the green grocer about jicama and see what he says. Do you have a Mexican market there ~ if so give them a call. Orientals use a lot of it also.

JEAN What color are your nails this week? Wish you would send your rain over here. We only got a little smattering. Have fun at your coffee date. It's nice to visit with co-workers from the past isn't it. Yack away!

Last edited by Maggie; 07-27-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #13  

Good morning to you all. It is going to be hot today, but really terrible tomorrow, over 100 and that's without the heat index!

Like I said yesterday, we are going to do carpets this weekend so will do preparations tonight like moving furniture out of dining room and vacuuming and getting ready so Jack can get them cleaned again before the boys get here next Friday.

I saw on the ship website our cruise documents are now ready for printing and we can send for our luggage tags. This is the last thing we need to do to be prepared for the cruise as far as the ship is concerned. I texted Jack that they were ready as he has been looking for the info for over a week now. The only other thing is when it becomes available in a couple weeks is the cost of photo packages for our cruise dates. This is separate from the ship and I need to know how much the packages are as I don't want to spend big bucks for professional pics, but would like some.

Maggie: Boy I threw you for a loop. No, the doctor had been on a cruise just a couple months ago and loved it so she was kidding sort of tongue in cheek that I needed a doctor to go so she could go on a cruise again. I told her I would see what I could do and she gave me a hug and laughed and told me she hoped we had a great time since she wouldn't see me again before the cruise. I bought these lean pockets that were pretzel bread with spinach and cheese filling. They were so delicious and really low in calories and such. I think next time I go to the commissary I will stock up on them!

Nothing else much going on here. I ordered a couple watches for my niece who graduated this year and my best friend's granddaughter who I took care of from the time she was born until she started pre kindergarten. I was going to wait and send them money, but then my niece contacted me about this watch I had bought her and how much she loved it so I bought her something very similar to replace it and got another one for this other young gal.

Everyone have a grand weekend and try and stay cool. Faye.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a wonderfully cool 64 degrees here! It's overcast with dark clouds in the west; maybe some rain will fall. We are going to Sioux City after lunch to do some birthday shopping for Maddie.

"Gma" -- Is Jack's procedure a checkup this time? What great news from your doctor! I tend to buy too much of the wrong things when I go to the store without a list. I usually forget what necessary items were on the list in the first place. I have eaten the Special K chips and think they are good. How do you get your carpet to dry with it being so humid? We need to replace area rugs but I'm still toying with the idea of installing carpet again. First come the new doors, upstairs bedrooms painted and new carpet, then paint downstairs.

Maggie -- Your lunch from yesterday sounds yummy! My nail polish is the same color as last time . . . pale pink. I don't like dark polish on my fingernails but do go darker on my toe nails. I hope it is cooler for you today!

I need to get dressed and get moving. I've been watching the Today Show with Olympics tidbits. Hope you all have a Fantastic Friday and enjoy!
Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Here is a strange one for you ~ Will was in Wal*Mart to get a few items and zip lock freezer bags were on the list. When he went down the “school items” isle he found the same zip lock bags there for a much lower price so you know where he bought the bags.

I learned a good lesson this day. I don’t always check my phone for messages on a regular basis and I have been waiting and waiting for my apple corer to arrive and found out when I did check my phone for messages that it hadn’t been shipped yet. The message was that they had typed in the number wrong for my debit card and would I please call and correct it. Now it can be shipped. It is just a six dollar item that I can’t find any where here in this area. I want to get my apples processed ~ they are just sitting around the kitchen in bags and need to be dealt with.

Schwan’s man came this morning and brought what I had ordered. I like those individual meals to eat when Will is gone at noontime when he works at the museum. Speaking about food ~ on the news last evening they said that prices will climb very high by the end of summer due to the drought the food belt has experienced. They said that the beef growers are forced to send more cattle to the butcher due to the shortage of food to feed them. Now is the time to buy beef if you want ~ for in a few months the price will almost double. This shortage has affected the veggie, pork and poultry growers also. That is what the “experts” are saying. All food prices are affected by this drought. This will really hit the folks that are on a “fixed” income hard. I think we will buy our Thanksgiving turkey breast soon, and have it in our freezer, while the price is still down. We plan on smoking it for they turn out so good that way, nice and succulent and tender. Thanksgiving is about 5 months away but one will keep in the freezer that long for sure. I shudder to think of all the things that will be affected because of the lack of rain during the growing season. No one’s garden, that we know, around here survived. Our trees are only alive because of those bladders we have around them. Maybe the cotton garments won’t have a price hike because cotton thrives in this heat. We shall see.

DONNA FAYE OK that is good that your doc was joking with you. You gotta have pictures ~ too bad they didn't include them in the total price though but maybe the photo folks wanted it to be seperate because folks will be dealing with them long after the cruise is over buying seconds of the printing possibly. I am really excited for you ~ it is getting real close. Those lean pockets sound yummy.

JEAN A light color on your nails also don't show scratches and such like the dark colors do and stay pretty longer. I like to do mine in the natural color ~ matches my skin very closely. It is called Bare Naked. I also have Sheer French and Crushed Pearl that are around the same shade of color and don't have any darker colors. I do need to get some darker for my toes though. They look better polished when I wear sandals for sure. Have the corn growers in your area had success with their crop. In some areas their cobs have been stunted ~ like maybe 2 inches long instead of the full natural length of the cob. It is a sad situation. Most farmers have insurance now days but the ones that don't are in dire straights.

Stay well Magnolias ~ type at y’all later ~