3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias # 19 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/262107-steel-magnolias-19-a.html)

Maggie 07-06-2012 10:46 AM

Finally Friendly Friday

:comp: GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

Wonder where in cyber space is my post from yesterday or did I just think I posted and spaced it. Hummm. It is currently 82 and fixn' to get up to 103 this day. I got my 3 in one village building done and it turned out better than I had visioned. I put scalloped copper around the roof edges and that really set it off. I made little signs to put above each of the shop windows to tell what they are. One end says Beauty Shop and the other end says Barber Shop with that little pole and the middle says General Store. Will told me he never ever wants me to quit cutting glass. I cut out a court house last evening. It is the one that was built back in the 1800’s, that I had made a pattern for, and is still in use in the northern CA area where we once lived. My goodness there was a lot of windows to cut out. It will be a fun one to have in my village. I will build a Police Station and Jail combination building next I think. Will is going to put up another couple shelves up for the ones I am building now for the two that are up are full. If Michaels still has the little Christmas lights I will solder some hooks around the roofs and decorate the buildings for the season. I have about 6 buildings that have lights around the roofs but will need more. It really looks very festive with the lights all lit during the Christmas season. After I get my village built I think I will gather up the materials and tools and make some high fa-lootin dolls. I really want to make some and that would be a good time to start them ~ before I start a new glass project. Yikes I do go on. Did I totally bore you with all of that?

My goodness this cat is getting big. He totally fills up his butt hut and is taller than Beanie. Cecil isn’t even a year old yet so has more growth even yet to do. He is such a character. He will stay outside after dinnertime till it is time for us to go to bed then we call him and he comes up to the storm door but won’t come in till we close it and he can come through the doggie door. Beanie does the same thing. When we are going inside he waits till the door shuts and he uses the doggie door. Ole Mopp will come through the door as we are going into the house. It sure didn’t take Cecil long to figure out that little door meant “freedom” to come and go as he pleases.

JEAN Sounds like you have fun with family plans. Isn't it wonderful to have family close and with fun things to do.

DONNA FAYE Oh my, I have never had rubbery Scallops ~ that would be terrible. No wonder you don't like them for the ones you had must have been old ~ not in age of the scallop but freezer old. Maybe what you had were not scallops at all but look alikes cut from Sea Skates. I really like scallops and shell fish also and "fresh" is the key to good fish. We don't buy any fish locally except through Schwan's. My favorite fish is Red Snapper. It is so yummy and mild.

I hope all is well with you Magnolias ~ type at y’all late ~ :wave:

Jean 07-07-2012 11:26 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cooled down to 85, but still humid. Jason is waiting for Amanda, I, and Z to get here for the brunch/picnic in the park. We will leave soon, for the lake, after I do cat chores.

Hope you all have a "cool" Saturday, and enjoy! :wave:

gma22 07-07-2012 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey gals! I am totally all in for the rest of the day. We got up around 6 and got ready, went to Mcd's for breakfast then on to the commissary. It was blissfully quiet and hardly anyone was there while we were there. We came home and put it all away then headed back out to Walmart. Jack forgot to get the mashed potatoes, likes the variety of WW type ice cream better and Walmart, wanted to get another brace for his knee, which is bothering him mightily lately. I bought a new tube of lipstick because I broke mine off at McDonald's this AM and got some little yellow legal pads which I use all the time for notes and knitting instructions, all kinds of things. We bought rug shampoo as we are going to shampoo upstairs tomorrow. Jay and Jackson will be here in another month so want nice clean rugs for them when they come. We then trekked back home and put the stuff away then out we went to Chilis for lunch and finally back home. I feel I have run a marathon today. It is around 100 degrees at the moment so just going outside makes you sweat.

Here is a picture of the kids at their base camp I think. I know it is day two and they are starting their climb. She is nuts, but I hope she has a good time. She is front and middle, you can see T in the back and my son-in-law is heap big white hunter clear to the right! :lol: Looks like it is nice and cool there though!

Maggie: I am going to have to try red snapper. I have never had it before, though I have seen it on lots of menus. Sounds like the village is coming right along. My pooch is in the recliner fast asleep. He says it is too hot to do anything else! :lol:

Jean: Have a good time at the lake. I am doing laundry today then try and get some work done tomorrow. I think while he is shampooing, I am going to try and clean upstairs since he will be moving the fan and such to keep everything cool. Then next week on to cleaning my nasty downstairs.

I finished my sweater and darn if it doesn't fit! :lol: I have to wash it and then block it into place then I can put it away for the cruise.

You all have a great weekend. Faye

Jean 07-08-2012 02:08 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful, cool day in my neighborhood. We've been to church and I've been putzing around here since being home. Bob wants to grill steaks for dinner so volunteered to go to the store.

"Gma" -- You had a busy day yesterday! :yes: I hope it is cooler for you today; I'm sending it your way. I'm sending positive thoughts that the brace will help Jack's knee and he will be in good shape for vacation. I will be anxious to hear about the mountain climbing! Your sweater turned out great! :cp: Thanks for sharing the pictures.

My contribution for dinner will be a salad and fresh sweet corn, so I'd better get moving. Enjoy the rest of your day! :wave:

Maggie 07-08-2012 06:19 PM

Simply Sunny Hot Sunday

:comp: GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

We were out and about yesterday and I picked up a real nice bar of soap my friend made and visited her for awhile at the flea market. All the veggies folks are selling are way too big and I don’t have a clue why in the world they let them grow so big. I am talking about root vegetables and cucumbers. I worked on my court house in the afternoon and have the watch face secured in the tower so when I get to attaching that part I will at least have that done. Also ~ I got the signs made that go on it. The rest of the building is all cut out and copper wrapped. I had to get this tower thing done first so at least I would know what I have to work. I am not doing any soldering till after evening services this day and maybe not even then but will surely do it tomorrow.

We went out to eat at our favorite Italian restaurant and split a meal and it was plenty for both of us and it sure helps to do that since we are both cutting back on the volume of food we injest. It was a high p+ meal anyway so it is good to have cut it in half. Fettucini Alfredo with sliced up Italian saussage in it. Tonight we will go out to Applebee's and I will make a WW choice from the menu. I have been going to bed earlier so I get up earlier and it is working out great but for some reason I am sleepy today. But I am not a napper so I will just have to sip my sf ff Latte and wake up. Will said he feels sleepy also so it must be something in the air. Tomorrow evening is weigh time and I don't have a clue if I will show a gain or a loss. Since I showed a good 4# loss last week it is iffy if I will even have a maintain for my system isn't being a consistant looser even though I track every morsel that passes these lips of mine and have had a good week ~ not going over my limits. I'll not fret about it. :nono:

JEAN Grilled steaks sound yummy. We have some in the freezer that will be grilled one day this coming week. We are going to buy part of a cow soon and have some nice steaks cut from that. Do you always have corn on the cob when you grill steaks? Seems like we do. It just seems they go so good together. Next time I make that apple salad I am going to make it with the butterscotch pudding because you said it tasted like candy apples and when I told Will that he said to do that next go-round. :p

DONNA FAYE I bought a knee brace when my knee was giving me fits and have never used it because it quit hurting like that. AH ~ but I have it "just in case" because they really do help a lot. I used one years ago when I hyperextended my knee getting out of the vehicle and on ice when we lived in the North Woods. I sure do think that one will certainly help your Jack out a lot. Have prices on everything gone up in your area ~ they sure have around here. Our buck doesn't go nearly as far as it used to. I am so happy for you that your sweater does fit. :cp: Now you don't have to re-do it and just get it blocked like it needs.

The latte worked and now I am not a bit sleepy. YEAH.

I hope all is well with you Magnolias ~ type at y’all late ~ :wave:

Maggie 07-09-2012 12:22 PM

Monday Monday

:comp: GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It has finally cooled down somewhat. It is currently 73ºs at 11 am here in the ♥-land and they say it will get up to 83 before the day is done. However, we do have a chance of thunderstorms with rain this day which would be nice. I don’t have any plans for the day except working on my glass and then WW this evening. I am happily sipping on my sf ff latte and looking forward to a wonderful day.

It is so far quiet around this thread so I will be back later ~ probably after WW this evening.

I hope all is well with you Magnolias ~ type at y’all later ~ :wave:

Jean 07-09-2012 05:44 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's raining, it's raining, it's raining! It started out as a beautiful, relatively cool summer day, and then the dark clouds moved in. We'll take the much needed rain and not complain. It was a challenge at church this morning. We had a lot of extra money to count from the ice cream social, VBS, a malaria net mission project, and the normal mix of budget, flower, and coffee money. Lots of cash from different places and some checks so members could get credit for what they gave to various "pots." It was almost noon before I got done, but I did get a start on next weeks automatic checking givers. I did my cat chores and picked up the gift shop money which was pretty skimpy this week. It was closed on the 4th.

Maggie -- Good luck at WW tonight! :crossed: We eat corn-on-the-cob with anything. :T The season is so short that we overdose on it. :o There is a new Italian restaurant, in Spencer, that we drive by on our way to the lake. I'm anxious to try it sometime. OG is my most favorite Italian place to eat, so the new one will have to measure up.

I need to put my gift shop paperwork away and pick up the kitchen. Enjoy the rest of your day and evening! :wave:

gma22 07-09-2012 08:41 PM

Good evening all. It is really humid so it feels icky, but the temps are about 20 degrees lower than usual so I turned up the ac to 79 degrees. It will get a rest period for a bit since it is supposed to be in the low 70's tonight and no more than around 82 and rain I hope tomorrow. We need it so badly. It rained for about 3 minutes this evening and that was that.

I cleaned the whole upstairs today so that is done and will tackle the downstairs tomorrow, which is filthy. I also checked my sweater and it was dry so took out all the pins, folded it up and Jack took it up and put it with my cruise packing. If I have some place nice to wear it before the cruise I might, but otherwise will save it for the cruise. I found a really cute necklace that I am going to buy for it since I don't have many necklaces for the dress clothing.

We had rolled tacos and spanish rice tonight and I ate some rice and a couple tacos and that was it. I am burping the stuff up anyway and though these pills do make you hungry a lot, I try and fight it as much as I can. At least I am not having the problems with the lower dosage I had with the other and the rest of it has almost stopped now so I should be in good shape for the cruise, thank heavens.

Has anyone made a smoothie with fresh canteloupe? I have a whole one that is about to go bad and Jack hates the stuff so I need to use it up as quickly as I can. I thought if it blends well with ice and maybe strawberries or something and some Splenda I could use it up that way, but I don't know how well it works so thought I would check with experts in the field! :lol:

I am now working on Jack's brown socks and have the leg half done. I hope to finish the leg tomorrow and start on the foot if I can. I will be glad to have all the cruise knitting done sooner than later I think.

Maggie: Hope WW came out ok for you. I am a pasta lover of all kinds and find it hard to stay away from the stuff. I especially like asian style noodles. The brace we bought seems to help him. I noticed he is limping more so that means it is hurting him more, but it will be a couple years before he will have anything close to enough sick time to have a knee replacement, which is his only option. I am wondering if he has developed arthritis in the knee and that is where the pain is coming from. Dr Manugian said he would definitely end up with it in his knee. I may get him some of those capsasien capsules and see if they help. I know that several articles I have read swear by the stuff and Jack is not a big hot pepper eater, which is where the stuff comes from so we would have to go another route.

Jean: Do you mean the gift shop is closed permanently now??? Sounds like you had the mother load to count today. I loved the pictures of the kids. You can sure tell which siblings belong to which parents I think. They are beautiful kids and such big smiles too.

Well gals, I am going to play a little hidden object game then off to beddy bye early tonight. I am pretty tired tonight. Have a good evening. Faye

Jean 07-10-2012 10:26 AM

Good Morning,, Flowers! It's another "cool" sunny day in my corner of the world. 65 degrees at 6:30 this morning is perfect! :cp: We got a 1/4" of rain yesterday which helps, north of town got 3/4", and east of the lake got nothing. I need to do cat chores and check the gift shop register later this afternoon. Otherwise it is more dusting, vacuuming, and laundry today.

"Gma" -- I truly am sending cooler weather your way! ;) I usually just buy a 1/2 melon so I can see what the inside looks like. I've never made a cantaloupe smoothie. I don't make smoothies very often because I don't like digging the blender out, then washing it, and putting it away. I should make myself do it more often. The gift shop is closed on holidays and so is the coffee shop. We don't have nearly the business we used to when it was separate from the coffee shop; we used to have more space and so had more merchandise to display. The goofus who moved us is long gone because he couldn't keep his pants up! :mad:

I need to get busy and accomplish things this morning. Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy! :wave:

Maggie 07-10-2012 12:13 PM

Titilating Hot Tuesday

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"] :comp: GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It is currently in the 60º area and expected high today is 92ºs. We got just a smattering of :rain: yesterday ~ not enough to amount to anything but clear the air which “was” something. I have some things I must do before starting another building. The court house turned out nice and is all finished waiting for Will to put up more shelving. But next I think I will build that police station/jail ~ I have some black glass that will work well for that. Then I will need to order some more supplies for I will be out of solder and some other needful items. I have to keep a close watch on Cecil when he is in here now for he has grown a curiosity about my glass works. He hasn’t yet bothered anything but he gets his nose very close. It appears that he enjoys sitting on the table beside my grinder to watch me work at grinding glass edges smooth. Watch is all he has done so far. I hope that is far as he gets and doesn’t decide to help me out. He has so far :crossed: stayed off of my cutting table.

I did show a maintain at WW weigh in last evening :cp: which I am not at all surprised at since I did show a good loss last week. :goodscale: I will just keep “keepin’ on” this week and hope for a loss at the coming Monday meeting. I do keep track and know if I have blown it during the week and my last week looked good.

Will has gone to the market and will come home with lots of fresh fruits and veggies. That is if he fills my list. :lol: I also need a new shower cap for when I shower twice a day I don’t wash my hair each time. The shower rain maker is high and my head gets wet if I don’t have a cover for it. In my younger days when my long hair had more oil in it I washed it daily in the shower ~ but now it doesn’t need washing that often ~ I ware it so short. My doc back then told me I was washing it too often and that’s what made it oily. His advice was to go two weeks without washing it then I could cut back and not have to wash it daily. It worked! Good thing it was during the time when school was out ~ to go two weeks without washing it ~ YIKES. AH but during the summer I got my hair cut real short and spikey on top because I was set to take swimming all year for PE. If we had very short hair then we didn’t have to wear one of those dopy swim caps. All that salt in the sea water when I was out surfing helped dry it out some to, I guess. My surfing days and the riding of horses are long gone. Our horse out in TN is making some beautiful babies. Cattle Kate is champion stock ~ and oh so beautiful. One day we will have to go visit her.

JEAN Aren't these cooler days just absolutely wonderful. After being so hot around here when it dropped down to 90 it seemed really bearable :D and it was still hot. AH but now we are down lower. That heat ceiling must have moved away. When the fresh corn is no longer in the markets we get the Schwans frozen kind which is very good. They are little about 4 inches and good as fresh.

[/FONT

Jean 07-11-2012 10:39 AM

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another beautiful morning in my neighborhood! I have lunch bunch at noon, a haircut later, and cat chores after that. I don't anticipate much cleaning getting done today around here. :dunno:

Maggie -- Let's hope the cooler weather hangs around for awhile. We are supposed to be back up in the 90s by the end of the week. I've been checking the sun rise and sun set times in the paper. Sun set has been staying the same since "summer" officially started, but will set a minute earlier tonight. :( Sun rise has been a minute later every few days, then will stay the same for a a couple days. Sometimes I will shut Ernie out of the room if I am ironing because he likes to sit on the end of the board and look out the window. He will scratch at the door or gets his paw underneath and jiggle it. He doesn't like closed doors; Jason didn't shut the bedroom door tight the other night and Ernie paid him a visit before he was awake. :lol:

I need to figure out what I am wearing to lunch, and be sure I can find both top and bottom. Somehow, some of my outfits have gotten separated because I mixed and matched on a whim. Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday and enjoy! :wave:

gma22 07-11-2012 12:40 PM

Good morning gals. Even with the high humidity, it has been nice to have the lower temps for awhile. Like Jean, we are supposed to be creeping back up into the 90's by the weekend.

Kelly and her family are back at the hotel and will be getting ready to do on a safari before heading back home. Kelly got seriously ill with altitude sickness and they had to rush her down the mountain so she didn't get to finish. She said Thomas absolutely loved the whole thing and he and his dad got all the way to the top. She said it was really, really hard she cried a couple times, but it did make her feel powerful. I am just glad they are finished and hopefully won't get eaten by a lion! :lol:

Well, the insurance company called a few days ago and both insurance company have denied fault so our insurer now has to sue them with attorneys and such. I got an email letter from them this morning wanting Jack to call as soon as he could so I sent him the info so maybe they backed off and we will get our deductible back. Would be nice to get right before the cruise. We are down to 74 days so it is rolling along. :lol:

Maggie: I love corn on the cob and would eat it all the time, but Jack doesn't like it that much so we have it rarely. I like to take cleaned corn and put butter and garlic on it, wrap in foil and put on the grill. It is my favorite way to eat it. We haven't grilled out at all this year. It is so hot to even do it. I have a feeling Cecil is going to spread his paws so to speak and get into some trouble. He sure is more ornery than the dogs, but I think most cats have ultimate curiosity.

Jean: Fortune will not let you close him off from any place where there are humans. He will scratch and bark and keep it up for hours. So, at this stage in his life, we just let him have his way. Not very good doggy parenting, but he is too old and we are too old to fight with him.

I need to get some work done, but the heat is cranking up so don't know how much I will get accomplish. Have a good day all! Faye

Maggie 07-11-2012 02:06 PM

Wonderful Hot Wednesday

:comp: GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :wave:

I have been back here in my office since I got up quite awhile ago. Will went out early and brought me a sf ff latte which I am still sipping on. I have read all the news on line I care to read and answered my e-mails so need to get to the other end of the house and do some needful things. So here I am before I really get into gear this day. Since Will is at the museum a day early this week because of other meetings and such I will have a TV dinner type meal for my lunch and we will be eating “left over’s” out of the freezer for dinner. Makes it easy later on to plan a meal for sure. I freeze the left over’s and we try to eat them within a few weeks so they don’t languish in the freezer and get to old to enjoy and have to be thrown out. We don’t like wasting food that way ~ or anyway for that matter. My goodness, I just looked at my desk and it sure needs to be straightened up again. We just received an invitation to help a young lady celebrate her graduation from the Wichita State University and will be going on to her induction as a Medical Student at KUMC. A picnic lunch in the park sure sounds like a good way to celebrate. She is a child of one of our good friends. Kids are growing up so quick ~ I remember her when . . .Life moves very fast.

JEAN We are up into the 90's again this day. UGH at times I long for those cool sea breezes ~ but alas, it is not to be for we are here in the HOT :flame: Heartland. Cats are funny creatures aren't they. Very entertaining to say the least. When my bathroom door is open Cecil gets behind it and sticks his paws under it and swats Beanie as much as he can reach. Those paws dart in and out and what a hoot. Cecil likes the bedroom door shut when he wants to go in there to nap on the bed. In fact he demands that I shut it. :p

DONNA FAYE We would just rather eat corn on the cob than off of the cob. To each his own choice on how to eat it. :D It just tastes so much better on the cob for some reason. I just zap it about 8 minutes in a pyrex dish with a little water in the bottom and coverd with wrap ~ it is so good. Sprayed with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter saves on butter points also and I grind spices over it to suit my taste. Lemon pepper and Italian spices stick to the spray and makes the corn so yummy. Hopefully you can get your deductible back.

QuilterInVA 07-12-2012 11:04 AM

Good morning, ladies! A lovey 77 degrees right now with a high of 84 today...and more rain. Folks gardens are not doing so well with all the rain. Many have pulled up squash, zucchini, and cukes because they blossom but rot almost as soon as the veg gets started.

I went to Sandy's yesterday. Her daughter came and cut our hair and mine is now back to short-short and spiky. Tomorrow is quilt guild in the morning and then lunch with my friends.

Faye, its too bad Kelly got altitude sickness. That surely wasn't pleasant. Thomas is sure lucky to have parents that take him to all these places. Car insurance is a mess. They want the premiums but they don't want to pay anything out.

Maggie, cats sure are entertaining. Casper still wants me to get up with the break of dawn and I used to have to get up and put him into the hall and close the bedroom door. Now all I have to do is put him on the floor and he goes into the hall and lays down until I get up even though the door is still open. He still stays close to me all the time.

Jean, I bought a rocket blender, although I have a full size one, just for making smoothies. You drink right out of the container you mix them in and cleanup is a breeze.

Have a wonderful day.

Jean 07-12-2012 05:55 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a hot and humid afternoon in my neighborhood. This morning I went to get my nails done and decided to have a pedicure after I got there -- love the foot massage. Then I did cat chores and made a grocery run after lunch. Bob is at a tractor pull with his farmer friend. He sponsored a local tractor that travels all over the U. S., so in return received "pit" tickets to view all the tractors before the pull. He asked if I wanted to go . . . I didn't hesitate to say no. http://forums.delphiforums.com/dir-icon/0/2/tongue.icon

"Gma" -- I'm sorry Kelly wasn't able to finish the climb but it's better to be safe than sorry. Thomas is one lucky, well traveled young man! Good luck getting the insurance mess straightened out. :crossed: I've never thought about using garlic on corn; I will have to try it. :yes:

Maggie -- A graduation picnic celebration will be fun! I hope the weather cools off for it. I really prefer "real" butter on my corn, :T but also use the spray. Cats are pretty smart that's for sure. Ernie can tell time. :lol:

Susan -- I know you enjoyed your "cool" day. I wish you could divvy up the rain you are getting and share. :yes: I just got my hair cut yesterday; it's not spikey but shorter than I've ever worn it. I never gave a rocket blender any thought. I will definitely take a look. :cp:

Since I'm on my own for supper I'm thinking Chinese sounds good. :T I may have to order it and go get it. Yum! Enjoy the rest of your day and evening! :wave: