Steel Magnolias # 12

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Good afternoon to you. I have been sick from this medicine and haven't felt like doing much of anything so I didn't get in here yesterday. I feel a bit better today and am trying to get the house cleaned while Jack is at his semi yearly cardiology appt.

It takes me awhile, but I get it all done eventually. I have to keep the car tomorrow and take it to the adjuster/repair shop and pick up the rental car so I want to get some of the cleaning done since I haven't felt like doing it and it needs it.

Jean: The big issue with getting the car fixed is the two other car's insurance companies. The back car, which was a Silverado pick up, was at fault, he hit the Ford Ranger, who was behind Jack and couldn't keep from hitting Jack. The Ford Ranger's insurer won't pay for the whole thing as they say it is the Silverado's fault and his insurer should pay. We could wait it out, as to what percentage who pays, but it could take a long time and then it would be a problem again as to where we would take it, etc, since neither company will except total blame on our vehicle. So after talking to our agent it was decided we would file the claim with Geico our insurer, then Geico would go after the other two. Since we have a deductible, we have to pay it up front, but according to the agent my husband made the repair appt with, she said that Geico goes after the deductible reinbursement first so we hope and figure we will get it back.

Maggie: Sounds like you are cookin' up a storm as usual.

Susan: Obviously your kitty is very smart. I imagine they are like humans who are deaf, they use other skills to get along. Hope you enjoy the AARP group.

I need to go so I can do a bit more housework. You all have a good middle of the week. Faye
  • Back For A Bit
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

I am sitting here with goop on my hair so I thought I would check in and say at least Howdy. I did my walking inside before doing my hair. What a nice bright sunshine day we are having. Since it is so still it is a good day to get the weeds in the lawn sprayed. Each year you think you get them all and then some come and take their place. It’s an ongoing process isn’t it.

JEAN What I am currently using is called “Natural Dark Neutral Blond” which makes my hair a light brown with reddish highlights. It covers the gray at the temples nicely. It isn’t an exotic color but very very near the color of what hair that isn’t gray on my head is. Since the thyroid meds I have been taking from my early teen years has slowly made my hair thin I can no long keep it red because the light brown makes it look thicker. Advice given to me by my hair dresser. It really does work. I am not so thin I am ready for a wig or to go totally bald though for I do still have hair. Just not the luscious thick locks I had in my youth. How is your corn there ~ it is so good here this year. So very good.

DONNA FAYE Hopefully you will get your vehicle fixed up back to exact and breeze through the insurance process. It is hard to deal with them when you are not feeling well isn't it. Everything when one is ill just seems a little harder to accomplish. Zaps the energy factor for sure.

Have a great afternoon Magnolias. Type at y'all later.
  • Good morning gals. I got up to go to the bathroom so decided might as well feed Fortune and let him out so I just decided to stay up. Jack will be up in about 45 minutes or so anyway.

I got a letter in the mail yesterday from my regular doctor saying April 24th was her last day at the practice. Nice of her to give me warning. The letter was dated the 20th so it isn't like she dictated it and it wasn't mailed out. Kind of irks me frankly, because now I am without a doctor again and have to go through finding another one in the practice and I don't know who is even there. I decided since I have to go to the gyn in June when these awful meds are done, I am going to talk to her about a recommendation and then set up an appt since I was supposed to go see my regular dr in June anyway. I am kind of peeved by the whole think that I wasn't given an opportunity to go in and talk with my regular dr and get a referral to who she thinks I should change to.

We had the freakiest thing happen last night. I loaded the dishwasher and ask Jack to check the sprayer over the bottom rack to make sure it wasn't catching on anything while I washed off counters, stove and such. Just as he started to do it, one of my glass glasses exploded in the top rack and we had glass everywhere. We have no idea why it did what it did and Jack was lucky he didn't get really hurt. Everything from tiny shards (two of which I imbedded in my hand) to huge pieces. It threw the pieces clear into the living room on the rug and went as high as the top of the microwave, which is on a baker's rack. It took us forever to get every bit of it cleaned up. My glasses are heavy, thick, sturdy glasses so it was a real mess. Strangest thing I have ever seen.

Maggie: My hair has really thinned also and when the gray starts to come out at the roots, it really looks like I have little hair. The red I use covers nicely and makes it look like I have a better head of hair too. I imagine one of the meds I have taken over the years have thinned it. My hair is ultra fine anyway so it makes it seem even more thin.

I take the car to the repair place this morning and pick up the rental car. Jack gave a list of questions or demands to go over with them. He wants to make sure we get factory parts for one thing. Our bumper has a tow package and those sensors on it that beep when you get close to something so he wants to make sure we get a factory part put on and not some recycled thing. I hate doing this sort of stuff because I always feel like they think women are all stupid. I have to say, when I hit the deer with the grand marquis a few years back, this is the place that fixed it and the manager was super. So, unless they have changed staff I think I will be ok. I just hope it doesn't take too long and they will have it back to us maybe by next week sometime.

I have about 35 rows to do to finish the front of the sweater then I can start the sleeves so I may just get this thing finished before the cruise. I think the mitten yarn should be here by Friday and I can start on it. I am making one mitten and having everyone try it on before I go forward so I can adjust and not waste yarn. I think it is the best way.

Well girls, I am going to sit and work on my sweater. Busy rest of the week as we have commissary on Saturday (hopefully they won't give us grief about being in a rental car) then Jack has an eye dr appt to get his new contacts for the year. I have to take Jack to the hospital at 6:30 AM on Monday as his cardiologist wants him to have a stress test and an electrocardiogram since he hasn't had one in three years and he is too pooped afterwards to drive home. Tuesday I have my surgical appt and we are going to have to talk. That patchy rash where they did the repair has not gone away and it itches so they have to do something about it.

Have a nice Thursday. It went from cold to warm pretty quick as I had to keep the AC on all night last night along with the fan to circulate it. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a sunny windy day in my neighborhood this morning. I was sure spoiled with the two calm days we just had. I'm waiting for a phone call from church, to help run, fold, collate, tape, and apply address labels to the monthly newsletter. I offered to help but it wasn't ready yesterday. Otherwise there are the never ending dust/fur bunnies which multiply daily, and need to be vacuumed.

Maggie -- I have a mental picture of you with the goop in your hair. My fine hair has gotten thinner also; must be age and/or meds I've taken over the years. There are some really cute, real looking wigs these days but I sure don't want one if I don't need one. Bob's secretary currently wears one and says it gets hot.

"Gma" -- I feel for you in having to find a new doctor again. I did ask Bob about who is responsible in a 3 car accident. Car #2 is responsible for #1 (you), and car #3 is responsible for both #1 and #2. The problem is when there is more than two insurance companies involved. Bottom line is that you shouldn't have to pay anything. Your insurance adjuster should go to bat for you, and let the other two companies duke it out between them. In the end the last driver's insurance company is responsible for all expenses. I hope you get a good rental car and your deductible back in full. That is freaky about the glass exploding in the dishwasher. I wonder if it just was touched, by something else in a weak spot.

I need to get dressed in get my day going. Hope you all have a terrific Thursday and enjoy!
  • Good morning ladies! Raining but headed for 77 degrees this day.

Casper got his check up and a rabies shot yesterday and this morning I dropped him off to be declawed. He has to stay overnight and then come home tomorrow. She asked me if I wanted him to have pain medication and I certainly do. I can't imagine not giving them to a pet. This is the same vet I've taken my cats to for the last 25 years. She had a great way to give a shot - she gave him a spoon of wet cat food and gave it to him while he was eating and he didn't even notice. She said she has learned over the years that white and calico cats hate the vet and she is trying to keep them liking her. She thinks he'll be a really big cat when he is fully grown because his feet are so big and his tail.

Faye, I hope the doctor gets you straightened out. Its awful trying to find a new doctor and if you are on Medicare its next to impossible. Hopefully you'll get you deductible back from having the car repaired quickly. I've been watching my insurance go up every year and this year it actually came down because they have a new policy that gives you a little more off each year over 5 that you haven't had an accident. I expected the bill to be close to or slightly over $500 and it was $390 and I was thrilled. Are you making monkey paw mittens to go with the hats? LOL

Jean, always the busy woman with volunteer work. I hope people appreciate how much you do. The addition sounds lovely.

Maggie, the AARP forum administrator is not a paid position. It's only on line and won't take a lot of time to keep up with. Good for you to get your walking in. When I was training for the WW 5K last year, I carried a timer in my pocket, too. My hair is still very thick even with thyroid meds and my other medications. I don't think I'll be one of the older ladies with thin hair. I have a date with Miss Clairol this weekend. I was going to stop coloring my hair but the dishwater blonde look is not attractive. My friend's daughter moved to my neighborhood and she cut my hair Tuesday into a very short pixie. I love it. She works at Great Cuts but it's a lot more convenient to go to her house because the salon doesn't take appointments.

Have a wonderful day!
  • Titilating Thursday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 64º’s here in the ♥-Land and said to get up to 83ºs before this day is through. It is sprinkling as I type so I hope we will get lots of good rain to make the veggies grow. Cecil is just too funny. I have never seen a cat that lies down while eating but he does. Puts his paws on each side of the bowl and lays there and eats. I haven’t had a lot of cats through the years so maybe this is normal behavior. Will has left now to go to the museum and the dogs are being entertained by some barking dogs in the neighborhood. For dinner I will be making Beef Stroganoff using some left over steak I will slice thin to use in it. It is a good recipe to use it in. I cook a recipe I clipped from a WW magazine years back and have adjusted the Points+ value up one point to be in line with the new program. It is so easy to make and very yummy. Comfort food at it’s best. After I get off here I will do my walking program. I am proud of myself for this will be my 4th day straight I have stuck with it this week. I have the 2 pounds of beef jerky that came yesterday all weighed and placed in snack bags back into the heavy plastic it was shipped in and into the freezer. The strips of jerky are just the right length to fit into those handy little snack bags and usually one ounce is three strips. One ounce makes a great item to eat with Cutie sections and a boiled egg for a nutritious lunch. I realize that WW has said in the past to avoid jerky but since I have learned to portion it out and keep it in the freezer and only eat one serving ~ it has worked for me. For I don’t out on it like I did in the old days of yore. I noticed something today ~ my ears haven’t been itching like they used to. I have had drops prescribed that worked throughout the years but then when the prescription ended the itch came back. Anyway last trip to my doc she suggested I use the stuff I use on the rash I get on a small area on my “bad” leg. It is prescription strength of cortisone type cream called Fluocinonide. It sure worked with a couple applications on my ear canal. It is the best itch cream I have ever used. I have excellent hearing but my ears don’t manufacture much wax which makes for itchy ears.

SUSAN Did you have all four feet declawed on Casper or just the front ones? I am sure glad we only had the front ones done on Cecil because he has become an outside cat for the most part. If Casper has big feet he will be a big cat for sure. Cecil has huge feet and he looks at 6 months like a full grown cat already and his growing days are not over. I love his huge front paws with 6 toes. How old is Casper now? How nice to have your personal hair dresser. You fortunate person having nice thick locks. I imagine your hair looks so cute in a pixie.

JEAN OH ~ I don't want to wear a wig. I remember when they were so popular to wear and even if we had long lucious natural curley hair we wore wigs on occasion. I had the most darling short curley wig that was very real looking back then. In fact I liked it so much I did have my hair cut like it and then never wore a wig again. My short curley do was much better for surfing and swimming.

DONNA FAYE WOW what a happening. That glass that exploded is sure a mystery isn't it. Makes a person want to wear protective goggles when loading ones dishwasher. I can just see you knitting away to beat the band for you have projects lined up to do. Keeps you busy doesn't it. I know you will be happy when all the insurance is straightend out about that car accident. You shouldn't have to pay a dime on that one. It is agravating what hoops you have to jump through before all is said and done though. Surely they will give you the proper bumper.

I think it is time for me to go get some lunch and then do my walking program. Have a great day Magnolias. Type at y'all later.
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a very windy day with just a smidge of sun peeking through the clouds from time to time. I've been to the bank to get new bills for a card club sympathy card, to Walgreen's because they have a huge assortment of gift cards, and to WM to buy a gift card because I couldn't find what I wanted at WG. I am getting a gift card for a church member who is heading off to seminary in June. He's a wonderful young man from a "crumby" family. The church members have supported his college efforts from time to time and we will continue to do so. I didn't know that Visa cards come with a fee and some have expiration dates. Much as I hate WM, I figured he can buy most anything he might need there, food if nothing else. I've got laundry going and need to dust.

Susan -- I had to about Casper having a big tail. Ernie is a big cat but his feet were always in proportion to the rest of him. I'd like to have him declawed but would want to do it by laser which isn't available here. I'm also afraid he would bite more. Have fun with Miss Clairol!

Maggie -- I've never seen a cat lay down to eat. Leonard never sat crouched, to eat, like most cats; I think he was afraid someone was going to take his food away from him. on 4 days of walking exercise!

I had better get busy, and make a grocery list sometime today. We're in a wind advisory until 6 tonight. Hope you all enjoy a fantastic Friday!
  • Good morning gals. I have been busy, busy this morning. The phone has been ringing a lot, which is really unusual. They called this morning while I was in the bathroom of course and said the car will be ready to pick up at 11 AM. Hurray, this Jeep Liberty is an awful SUV. I hate the thing. So Jack will go buy and pick it up on his way home from work, pay the deductible and turn in the rental car.

The reason I was so busy is I knit the first mitten this morning. This one is actually Kelly's in her color. I only made one though so they could all three try it on with the gloves they are going to wear and then she can email me about adjustments, longer thumb, longer hand, bigger around, etc. I tried the mitten on and made the thumb and length to fit me since that isn't affected by the glove underneath. I didn't want it being really long like the man's glove would have been so I cut it down and fit it to myself. The thumb and circumference is really roomy on me so I hope it works well for Kelly and Thomas, then if it is tight on Tom, I will make the bigger size for him.

Jean: I talked to the adjuster about the deductible being refunded and she said there is no guarantee of course, but since both guilty parties have insurance Geico will get our money back for us. The funny thing is the damage was minimal and the parts only amounted to about $30 but with labor costs the total was $700!!! So, Geico can fight with the two insurers to get the full amount back then give us our deductible back from it. She told me that Geico is really agressive about getting the money so we shall see. Did you end up having to go to the church today?? I need to dust downstairs today and work on a grocery list as tomorrow is commissary day. I am so glad we will have our car back so we don't have to deal with letting them let us on base with a rental car. The pass office isn't open on the weekends.

Maggie: I would wear a natural looking wig, but I think my head would sweat too much, especially on a cruise so I am hoping my hair grows out enough and thick enough to have it cut in a wedge. I only have 4 months so I doubt how long it will get as it is barely growing over my ears right now (I always have worn my hair cut around my ears. Part of the problem with my hair is it has developed an annoying curl section towards the crown and the hair just sticks up all the time unless I just spray the whole thing and make everything on top stick up! I am going right before the cruise for the first time and getting my eyebrows waxed. Should be an experience.

Susan: What scares me with this progestin upsetting my intestines is it causing my diverticulitis to act up too and I wouldn't know the difference. I do know that what has been going on with me is connected to the meds because for lack of better words, I am "shedding" the tissue from my uterus so when I am having the upset and diahrrea this is showing up too. I have 6 weeks left and boy I can't wait to be done. Hope Casper comes home and does a-okay having been declawed. Butterscotch didn't even seem to notice he didn't have front claws anymore. Luckily, he didn't have pain and such.

Well girls, I need to do my dusting and I want to finish the one side of the shoulder of my sweater and bind it off. I then only have to make the sleeves and put it together. Have a wonderful day and great weekend. Looks like rain here today, but nothing so far. It is quite warm though. Faye

• Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been a lazy day so far today . . . well sort of. It's windy and cold! The wind finally died down a little during the night but we have leaves all over the patio, deck, and driveway. We went to the coffee at church this morning, then to the hardware store and paint store to look at paint samples. I don't like picking out colors! I've changed clothes and Bob just left to go buy some work boots. I haven't decided what my next project is going to be.

The gal agent made a cake for Secretary's Day; she just used a cake mix and a can of diet pop. Bob said it was really good so maybe I will make one this afternoon.

"Gma" -- I'm glad your car repair was done so quickly for you. I didn't go to the church office yesterday; the newsletter is once a month and was late because of the secretary being gone. The pastor likes it to go out a day or two before the 1st. I don't know how to do some of the things, like scan invitations, pictures, or graphics, so couldn't do anything except type the text while she was gone. I thought sure your mitten would have a monkey face on it! Hope your commissary trip was fast and easy this morning.

I need to check the dryer and see if it's done so I can dry another load. Enjoy your day whatever you are doing today!
  • Sunny Saturday
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

We had a wonderful drive out and about yesterday and stopped by a McD's here in town for a snack. While there next to us in her car was a lady that works as a greeter at Wal*Mart and she recognized Will and we had a good gab fest. She had her dog with her for she had just brought him to McD's for a which all he got was the meat of it as a treat. Anyway she asked where she could get a nice bumper sticker for Kansas and we said we would look about for her as we were in different bergs. We could find one nowhere so when we got home I found some on the web. I copied & pasted 4 and Will can take them to her today when she works and decide which one she wants and can order it. We got home and I hadn't done my walking yet so I did it before I got started in anything. Then it was time to do dinner which was an easy warm up of the Stroganoff as a re-run. We had a wonderful drive out and about.

This is a partly sunny 65º day. We got a gulley washer of a rain yesterday before we went out and about though. It had started in the night and lasted through the morning. I sure slept well during the night for I am well rested. I do remember the cat walking on me and a dog unhappy when I got in his space. Ole Ragg Mopp is a grouch if my feet nudge him in the night. You would think he would learn not to sleep near folks feet. And something got the dogs to barking a bit ~ they are terrific watch dogs. At least they sound the alarm. It was probably just a skunk taking a walk in the back yard. Dogs have good noses and I can imagine they smelled the skunk for they do move quietly.

I don’t have much planned for this Saturday. Will brought be a ger-prize from when he went to get me some printer paper at the shop downtown. It is a note taking set. The large tablet is 4 inches wide and 8 inches long with varied widths of colored stripes at the bottom of the page and at the top of the page also of pink, maroon, navy, lavender and yellow. There is a flap at the top that is 2 inches and fancy cut, that folds down over the tablet. The design on the flap is of Victorian nature ~ all fancy and has a magnet on the back so it can live on my board which is metal on one half with cork on the other. The smaller tablet is 3 by 4¾ and has a striped cover with the same type upper flap that comes down at the top that the larger tablet has. The flap on this one is has a small magnet on the back to keep it closed. What a fun little set of note paper. I think I will put the smaller of the two in my purse.

DONNA FAYE I know you will be so thankful when the next 6 weeks has passed and you can really start to feel better. You are going through such an ordeal. It is good that you have your knitting to help keep your mind off your "issues." That's a good idea to just do one mitten at first until you know if it will work then go on from there.

JEAN Yes Wal*Mart Visa debit cards cost $3.00 a month service fee and you have to keep a small balance in them to cover it. Just don't spend it down to nothing unless you want to cut the card up. We like to use them for on line purchaces because that way "they" don't get into our "real" account. When I want to buy something we get money loaded on the card and then I spend it promptly. That way no one can come in and take it. That happened to me once so we now change cards occasionally. I got all my money back from the creep that took it off my card though. Wal*Mart got it back for me very quickly even. I was just so thankful that it was the debit card they scamed and not my bank account. I really like using the debit cards. When I buy my clothes next month I will load up my debit card to cover the cost. Remember when they used to say "cash is king" well the debit cards are cash in plastic form. Guard your cash. I have the instructions for several versions of that cake. Cake Mix & Applesauce, Cake Mix & Diet Soda, Cake Mix & Canned Pumpkin and Cake Mix & Egg Substitute. They all cost Points+ of 5. They are all better tasting if you add Egg Beaters to = 2 eggs to them and it doesn't change the points+ value. If you want the recipes I will send them to you.

SUSAN Hope your Saturday is going well with you.

Have a great Saturday Magnolias. Type at y'all later.
  • This thread is closed - please go to #13.