Steel Magnolias #10

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Good afternoon gals. I didn't get a chance to get in here this morning and have been on the run all day. We had commissary shopping this morning, then came home, put everything away then out the door to get our passport photos done. Mine is ghastly. My skin is all yellow, my nose looks like someone broke it and my hair instead of red is pink. Ahh well, I am not paying to have more taken these will just have to do.

We then went to CVS to pick up a refill on my progestin, then went to Genghis Grill for a bite of lunch, then back home. I had washed a load of clothes so put them in to dry and baked Jack his favorite dessert, my apple squares since it has been eons since has had them. I then folded clothes, sat down and finished a James Patterson book and here I am.

I mailed out Jackson's gift today so he should get it first of the week since I sent it priority. I just hope the chocolate bunny isn't chocolate soup when it gets there. I need to email or text Alicia and let her know.

My sister and bil will be in town in time for dinner tomorrow night so we will probably take them out to dinner. We haven't seen them in almost a year so it will be nice to visit with no kids and no other relatives just the 4 of us.

Jean: Jack asked me ask you what island do you guys stay on in Hawaii? I told him I didn't know if you stayed on the big island or Oahu. We were just talking about vacations and such in the car this morning and he told me he thought I would enjoy Hawaii. I told him unfortunately, we would HAVE to fly to go to Hawaii and they would probably turn me inside out with the metal mesh in my abdomen now at the security gate. He laughed and said that, "yes, we will have to fly because there is no bridge to Hawaii." I told him I guess we couldn't row there either in a boat. I think we are going to do a couple projects in the house next year and probably use the rest of our tax refund and make another trip to Vegas, which will probably be our last for quite awhile. I think we are going to try and get a tankless water heater and maybe either a new stove or new washer next year. We had this old guy standing at the beef section of the store and heavens it took him forever. The left end is hamburger then it is things like cube steak, round steak, sirloin, etc, then high end steaks, then roasts then the right end is ribs. He went section by section and went through every package and of course he had his cart sitting in such a way it blocked us from doing anything. I was in a motorized cart since I can't manage walking the whole store yet and Jack had the push cart. He drove us nuts and I kept thinking this guy and his wife my have some strong hearts because he bought a load of red meat.

By the time we were all done with everything today, I was in pain and worn out so I took some pain meds and plunked myself in a chair and read. Jack was channel surfing to find out what time the basketball tourney final 4 is on tonight. Oh joy, basketball all evening.

Tomorrow we are going to take the car out and get it washed and waxed and vacuumed out before we go to dinner tomorrow. Other than that, not much going on. Jack is going to shampoo the rug in the dining room as we haven't gotten around to doing the two rugs since Marty visited. Poor little guy. We don't get mad as he is old and frankly Fortune is getting a little lapse too. The beginning of the week he peed on the linoleum right in front of the stove and he has never done that and we were home at the time. Jack chewed him out a bit. Then I guess next Saturday we will get the other rug done. I have to clean house starting Monday again as I never did get upstairs this last week and the downstairs is ready to be cleaned again.

Well gals, I need to go. Have a nice Saturday. It is beautiful here, sunny and in the 80's. Faye
  • "Gma" -- We go to Maui, but if you ever decide to go to Hawaii be sure to spend a day or two in Oahu to visit Pearl Harbor and anything else that might take your fancy. It is much more commercialized than Maui, freeway traffic, etc. There is a ship that sails from either LA or San Francisco, I think. One of the teachers was going to go on a package trip sailing from CA, and then cruising between the islands. She decided to fly instead because sailing took so many extra days and stopped in Mexico coming back to the mainland. My "mom" has a card from her doctor stating that she's had hip, knee, and shoulder replacements. I don't think she has flown since she had her shoulder done. We all just walked through the scanner this time and I thought sure one of us might get the pat down. I had to laugh at your passport picture description. My driver's license picture is terrible and now we have to take off eye glasses whether we need them to drive or not. I need to renew mine this year and hope I don't forget. It sounds like you had a busy day running errands. I've never heard of a tankless water heater. Where do you store the water? I think I will read for a bit and call it a night. I hope I sleep better tonight than last night as I spent an hour downstairs playing solitaire on the iPad.
  • Good morning, ladies! A sunny day heading for 65 degrees. A good day for a long walk.

Yesterday Sandy and I went to the quilt shop, Bed Bath & Beyond, Office Max and then to Vinny's for a late lunch/early dinner. WW has really been hectic. We had a ton of people join with the free registration last month so we are having 4 receptionists right now and people are still in line when the meeting starts. There was a recipe for Spring Garden Veggie Soup with Pesto in the Weekly this week. I need to go to the store and get a leek and then I'll make a batch. It really looks good.

I had high hopes of winning the Mega Millions and taking all of us on a fabulous trip. I only won $4 so at least I got back $2 more than I paid for the ticket.

Faye, my driver's license picture looks like a convict. All I need are the numbers across my chest. I don't know why they can't take good pictures for official IDs. I hope your time with your sister is enjoyable.

Jean, A tankless water heater doesn't store water. It heats it on demand (very, very fast) so one of the benefits is it uses less power because it isn't heating water all the time and then there is also the fact that having no tank you don't have to worry about it leaking.

Here's an article about how to get a good night's sleep:

How to Sleep Better

Tips for Getting a Good Night’s Sleep

Do you want to be productive, mentally sharp, emotionally balanced, and full of energy all day long? The way you feel during your waking hours hinges on how well you sleep at night.
    The cure to sleep difficulties and daytime fatigue can often be found in your daily routine. Your sleep schedule, bedtime habits, and day–to–day lifestyle choices make an enormous difference in the quality of your nightly rest. The following sleep tips will help you optimize your nightly rest, minimize insomnia, and lay the foundation for all–day energy and peak performance.

In This Article:
    Print Authors
    Text Size

The secret to getting good sleep every night

Good sleep strategies are essential to deep, restorative sleep you can count on, night after night. By learning to avoid common enemies of sleep and trying out a variety of healthy sleep-promoting techniques, you can discover your personal prescription to a good night’s rest.
    The key is to experiment. What works for some might not work as well for others. It’s important to find the sleep strategies that work best for you.
    The first step to improving the quality of your rest is finding out how much sleep you need. How much sleep is enough? While sleep requirements vary slightly from person to person, most healthy adults need at least 8 hours of sleep each night to function at their best.
    How to sleep better tip 1: Keep a regular sleep schedule

Getting back in sync with your body’s natural sleep–wake cycle—your circadian rhythm—is one of the most important strategies for achieving good sleep. If you keep a regular sleep schedule, going to bed and getting up at the same time each day, you will feel much more refreshed and energized than if you sleep the same number of hours at different times. This holds true even if you alter your sleep schedule by only an hour or two. Consistency is important.
    • Set a regular bedtime. Go to bed at the same time every night. Choose a time when you normally feel tired, so that you don’t toss and turn. Try not to break this routine on weekends when it may be tempting to stay up late. If you want to change your bedtime, help your body adjust by making the change in small daily increments, such as 15 minutes earlier or later each day.
    • Wake up at the same time every day. If you’re getting enough sleep, you should wake up naturally without an alarm. If you need an alarm clock to wake up on time, you may need to set an earlier bedtime. As with your bedtime, try to maintain your regular wake–time even on weekends.
    • Nap to make up for lost sleep. If you need to make up for a few lost hours, opt for a daytime nap rather than sleeping late. This strategy allows you to pay off your sleep debt without disturbing your natural sleep–wake rhythm, which often backfires in insomnia and throws you off for days.
    • Be smart about napping. While taking a nap can be a great way to recharge, especially for older adults, it can make insomnia worse. If insomnia is a problem for you, consider eliminating napping. If you must nap, do it in the early afternoon, and limit it to thirty minutes.
    • Fight after–dinner drowsiness. If you find yourself getting sleepy way before your bedtime, get off the couch and do something mildly stimulating to avoid falling asleep, such as washing the dishes, calling a friend, or getting clothes ready for the next day. If you give in to the drowsiness, you may wake up later in the night and have trouble getting back to sleep.
    Discovering your optimal sleep schedule

Find a period of time (a week or two should do) when you are free to experiment with different sleep and wake times. Go to bed at the same time every night and allow yourself to sleep until you wake up naturally. No alarm clocks! If you’re sleep deprived, it may take a few weeks to fully recover. But as you go to bed and get up at the same time, you’ll eventually land on the natural sleep schedule that works best for you.

How to sleep better tip 2: Naturally regulate your sleep-wake cycle

Melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone that helps regulate your sleep-wake cycle. Melatonin production is controlled by light exposure. Your brain should secrete more in the evening, when it’s dark, to make you sleepy, and less during the day when it’s light and you want to stay awake and alert. However, many aspects of modern life can disrupt your body’s natural production of melatonin and with it your sleep-wake cycle.
    Spending long days in an office away from natural light, for example, can impact your daytime wakefulness and make your brain sleepy. Then bright lights at night—especially from hours spent in front of the TV or computer screen—can suppress your body’s production of melatonin and make it harder to sleep. However, there are ways for you to naturally regulate your sleep-wake cycle, boost your body’s production of melatonin, and keep your brain on a healthy schedule.
    Increase light exposure during the day
    • Remove your sunglasses in the morning and let light onto your face.
    • Spend more time outside during daylight. Try to take your work breaks outside in sunlight, exercise outside, or walk your dog during the day instead of at night.
    • Let as much light into your home/workspace as possible. Keep curtains and blinds open during the day, move your desk closer to the window.
    • If necessary, use a light therapy box. A light therapy box can simulate sunshine and can be especially useful during short winter days when there’s limited daylight.
    Boost melatonin production at night
    • Turn off your television and computer. Many people use the television to fall asleep or relax at the end of the day. Not only does the light suppress melatonin production, but television can actually stimulate the mind, rather than relaxing it. Try listening to music or audio books instead, or practicing relaxation exercises. If your favorite TV show is on late at night, record it for viewing earlier in the day.
    • Don’t read from a backlit device at night (such as an iPad). If you use a portable electronic device to read, use an eReader that is not backlit, i.e. one that requires an additional light source such as a bedside lamp.
    • Change your light bulbs. Avoid bright lights before bed, use low-wattage bulbs instead.
    • When it’s time to sleep, make sure the room is dark. The darker it is, the better you’ll sleep. Cover electrical displays, use heavy curtains or shades to block light from windows, or try an eye mask to cover your eyes.
    • Use a flashlight to go to the bathroom at night. As long as it’s safe to do so, keep the light to a minimum so it will be easier to go back to sleep.
    How to sleep better tip 3: Create a relaxing bedtime routine

If you make a consistent effort to relax and unwind before bed, you will sleep easier and more deeply. A peaceful bedtime routine sends a powerful signal to your brain that it’s time to wind down and let go of the day’s stresses.
    Make your bedroom more sleep friendly

• Keep noise down. If you can’t avoid or eliminate noise from barking dogs, loud neighbors, city traffic, or other people in your household, try masking it with a fan, recordings of soothing sounds, or white noise. You can buy a special sound machine or generate your own white noise by setting your radio between stations. Earplugs may also help.
    • Keep your room cool. The temperature of your bedroom also affects sleep. Most people sleep best in a slightly cool room (around 65° F or 18° C) with adequate ventilation. A bedroom that is too hot or too cold can interfere with quality sleep.
    • Make sure your bed is comfortable. You should have enough room to stretch and turn comfortably. If you often wake up with a sore back or an aching neck, you may need to invest in a new mattress or a try a different pillow. Experiment with different levels of mattress firmness, foam or egg crate toppers, and pillows that provide more support.
    Reserve your bed for sleeping and sex

If you associate your bed with events like work or errands, it will be harder to wind down at night. Use your bed only for sleep and sex. That way, when you go to bed, your body gets a powerful cue: it’s time to nod off.
    Relaxing bedtime rituals to try
    • Read a book or magazine by a soft light
    • Take a warm bath
    • Listen to soft music
    • Do some easy stretches
    • Wind down with a favorite hobby
    • Listen to books on tape
    • Make simple preparations for the next day

How to sleep better tip 4: Eat right and get regular exercise

Your daytime eating and exercise habits play a role in how well you sleep. It’s particularly important to watch what you put in your body in the hours leading up to your bedtime.
    • Stay away from big meals at night. Try to make dinnertime earlier in the evening, and avoid heavy, rich foods within two hours of bed. Fatty foods take a lot of work for your stomach to digest and may keep you up. Also be cautious when it comes to spicy or acidic foods in the evening, as they can cause stomach trouble and heartburn.
    • Avoid alcohol before bed. Many people think that a nightcap before bed will help them sleep. While it may make you fall asleep faster, alcohol reduces your sleep quality, waking you up later in the night. To avoid this effect, so stay away from alcohol in the hours before bed.
    • Cut down on caffeine. You might be surprised to know that caffeine can cause sleep problems up to ten to twelve hours after drinking it! Consider eliminating caffeine after lunch or cutting back your overall intake.
    • Avoid drinking too many liquids in the evening. Drinking lots of water, juice, tea, or other fluids may result in frequent bathroom trips throughout the night. Caffeinated drinks, which act as diuretics, only make things worse.
    • Quit smoking. Smoking causes sleep troubles in numerous ways. Nicotine is a stimulant, which disrupts sleep. Additionally, smokers actually experience nicotine withdrawal as the night progresses, making it hard to sleep.
    If you’re hungry at bedtime

For some people, a light snack before bed can help promote sleep. When you pair tryptophan–containing foods with carbohydrates, it may help calm the brain and allow you to sleep better. For others, eating before bed can lead to indigestion and make sleeping more difficult. Experiment with your food habits to determine your optimum evening meals and snacks. If you need a bedtime snack, try:
    • Half a turkey sandwich
    • A small bowl of whole–grain, low–sugar cereal
    • Granola with low–fat milk or yogurt
    • A banana

You’ll also sleep more deeply if you exercise regularly. You don’t have to be a star athlete to reap the benefits—as little as twenty to thirty minutes of daily activity helps. And you don’t need to do all thirty minutes in one session. You can break it up into five minutes here, ten minutes there, and still get the benefits. Try a brisk walk, a bicycle ride, or even gardening or housework.
    Some people prefer to schedule exercise in the morning or early afternoon as exercising too late in the day can stimulate the body, raising its temperature. Even if you prefer not to exercise vigorously at night, don’t feel glued to the couch, though. Relaxing exercises such as yoga or gentle stretching can help promote sleep.
    How to sleep better tip 5: Get anxiety and stress in check

Do you find yourself unable to sleep or waking up night after night? Residual stress, worry, and anger from your day can make it very difficult to sleep well. When you wake up or can’t get to sleep, take note of what seems to be the recurring theme. That will help you figure out what you need to do to get your stress and anger under control during the day:
    If you can’t stop yourself from worrying, especially about things outside your control, you need to learn how to manage your thoughts. For example, you can learn to evaluate your worries to see if they’re truly realistic and learn to replace irrational fears with more productive thoughts. Even counting sheep is more productive than worrying at bedtime.
    If the stress of managing work, family, or school is keeping you awake, you need help with stress management. By learning how to manage your time effectively, handle stress in a productive way, and maintain a calm, positive outlook, you’ll be able to sleep better at night.
    Relaxation techniques for better sleep

Relaxation is beneficial for everyone, but especially for those struggling with sleep. Practicing relaxation techniques before bed is a great way to wind down, calm the mind, and prepare for sleep. Some simple relaxation techniques include:
    • Deep breathing. Close your eyes—and try taking deep, slow breaths—making each breath even deeper than the last.
    • Progressive muscle relaxation. Starting at your toes, tense all the muscles as tightly as you can, then completely relax. Work your way up from your feet to the top of your head.
    • Visualizing a peaceful, restful place. Close your eyes and imagine a place or activity that is calming and peaceful for you. Concentrate on how relaxed this place or activity makes you feel.
    How to sleep better tip 6: Ways to get back to sleep

It’s normal to wake briefly during the night. In fact, a good sleeper won’t even remember it. But if you’re waking up during the night and having trouble falling back asleep, the following tips may help.
    • Stay out of your head. The key to getting back to sleep is continuing to cue your body for sleep, so remain in bed in a relaxed position. Hard as it may be, try not to stress over the fact that you’re awake or your inability to fall asleep again, because that very stress and anxiety encourages your body to stay awake. A good way to stay out of your head is to focus on the feelings and sensations in your body.
    • Make relaxation your goal, not sleep. If you are finding it hard to fall back asleep, try a relaxation technique such as visualization, deep breathing, or meditation, which can be done without even getting out of bed. Remind yourself that although they’re not a replacement for sleep, rest and relaxation still help rejuvenate your body.
    • Do a quiet, non-stimulating activity. If you’ve been awake for more than 15 minutes, try getting out of bed and doing a quiet, non-stimulating activity, such as reading a book. Keep the lights dim so as not to cue your body clock that it’s time to wake up. Also avoid screens of any kind—computers, TV, cell phones, iPads—as the type of light they emit is stimulating to the brain. A light snack or herbal tea might help relax you, but be careful not to eat so much that your body begins to expect a meal at that time of the day.
    • Postpone worrying and brainstorming. If you wake during the night feeling anxious about something, make a brief note of it on paper and postpone worrying about it until the next day when you are fresh and it will be easier to resolve. Similarly, if a brainstorm or great idea is keeping you awake, make a note of it on paper and fall back to sleep knowing you’ll be much more productive and creative after a good night’s rest.
    How to sleep better tip 7: Know when to see a sleep doctor

If you’ve tried the tips above, but are still struggling with sleep problems, you may have a sleep disorder that requires professional treatment. Consider scheduling a visit with a sleep doctor if, despite your best efforts at self–help, you are still troubled by any of the following symptoms:
    • Persistent daytime sleepiness or fatigue
    • Loud snoring accompanied by pauses in breathing
    • Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
    • Unrefreshing sleep
    • Frequent morning headaches
    • Crawling sensations in your legs or arms at night
    • Inability to move while falling asleep or waking up
    • Physically acting out dreams during sleep
    • Falling asleep at inappropriate times

Have a wonderful Palm Sunday!
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood -- sunny, warm, and just a breeze. I was at church and ready to practice, along with other ringers, at 7:20 this morning. There is always one who is late and this morning she was 20 minutes late. Wish I had the guts to say something but she is the church secretary and I have to work with her in the office. Bob grilled steaks for dinner while I sorted and did a load of laundry. Dishes are done and reading the paper is next on my list.

The bell ringers decided to play a joke on the director this morning. On our very first song we each picked a different measure to start on; it didn't take her long to figure out what we were doing. Someone suggested we actually do it during church, but decided not a good idea.

Susan -- Your WW meetings must be huge! There are times when we don't have any receptionist and the leader does it all, which makes her late starting the meeting. It sounds like you and Sandy had a fun day yesterday. Thanks for sharing the sleep article; I have saved it! I slept all night last night. Part of my problem is I get up to go to the bathroom and start thinking about what I have to do the next day. By the time I'm back in bed I start to toss and turn. Sometimes I'll fall asleep and sometimes I just give up and get up. I do play solitaire on the iPad or read, usually for an hour. If I just sit in the recliner and do nothing, sometimes I'll fall asleep for an hour or so, then go back to bed. I hate nights like that!
    Guess I will read the papers. Bob is singing in the Maundy Thursday play and has practice this afternoon. Enjoy your day today!
  • Good morning everyone. I never did get in here yesterday. I took a nap yesterday moring then we went downtown to meet my sister and bil and had a great visit and lovely dinner together, though I picked at my bbq plate.

I kind of found out about the sister and the attitude about coming to visit. You know when you only read printed emails or texts you never know what they really mean and you can read all sorts of stuff into it. In this instance, the poor woman has been taking care of 5 children, 4 of whom are total brats I guess for almost 6 months. They are her son's children, the oldest boy almost 13 and I guess he is the golden child, but is a deceitful, lying, snot of a manipulator, the next is their girl who is only 10 but is basically expected to be the mother and the other three are toddlers from 4-2. I guess the mother lets them literally climb into kitchen cabinets, climb into the refrigerator if you can believe it and only feeds them junk food. My sister is taking care of this mess because their newest baby, was born premature 6 months ago and continues to have lots of health problems so the mom stays in LA while my poor sister is expected to take care of all these children for nothing, by the way and doesn't even get a thank you. I think when she texted me she was hoping we could do a lot together so she could have some adult time and didn't think about my situation. When I talked to her last night, she is so beaten down and exhausted and I felt so sorry for her. She told me they were angry at her for leaving them to come here with her husband. Can you believe that? My bil told us in no uncertain terms she is NOT going back they will have to pay someone or the mother is going to have to come home and take care of her own kids. Like he said, we didn't force them to have 6 kids. So we sat around in the bar at the hotel and had a drink and homemade potato chips and dip and watched the NASCAR race then headed out to one of our bbq restaurants and had dinner then came back and their room was ready so we went up and visited for about an hour. We will see them again on Wednesday.

Jean: I bet you joke was funny. Nice April Fool's. Jack has been to Pearl Harbor a couple times, in fact his retirement flag in his flag box is the flag that flew over the Arizona, which is pretty cool. I don't know if we will ever get there, but if we do, we do, if we don't we don't. Like Susan said, there is no tank. There is a box, about the size of an electrical switch box is all. From what I understand they are so much more efficient last a very very long time and you have instant hot water all the time. The bad side is they are much more expensive, but you can get decent priced ones. Unfortunately, where we live, you have to have a licensed plumber/electrician to install them, you can't do them yourself. Some stupid law, probably to make sure the unions get their money.

Susan: Sounds like you were busy this weekend. I don't think I will get a decent nights sleep until this is all healed and I can sleep in the bed again. I do look forward to that. My driver's licence pic is really nice, my military ID looks like a pig with eyes.

Well, gals, I have laundry to put in the dryer. I hope you have a nice start to your week. It is supposed to be near 90 today! Faye
  • Good morning, ladies. 54 degrees and sunny.

Nothing going on today but housework. I've got a good audio book so that will make it go faster.

Faye, your poor sister with all those little kids to look after! You just never know from an email what is really happening.

Jean, I guess it wouldn't have been funny to do the joke with the bells on the congregation but I'll bet it was in practice. It really upsets me that some people are so rude they keep people waiting for them instead of coming on time.

Have a great day.
  • Marvelous Monday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

We are back. The animals all were so happy to greet me when I got up this morning. Cecil is sure being vocal this day. We got back earlier than planned at first but our friends had a death in the family and there were services to attend so we didn’t add to their worries. We didn’t know the old gentleman so that is that. We had a wonderful time while driving down and back ~ everything was so green and vibrant with wild flowers. Lots of “eye candy.” Our Jeep just purred right along. We talked to a whole bunch of bikers ~ not a gang ~ just bikers made of men and their ladies that were all wearing various "colors" of affliliation biking from Oklahoma to Texas. They were eating at the same place we had lunch after church services Sunday.

The restaurant is a huge place that has a style of serving that is interesting. There is no menu. You order from a list of several kinds of meat then ~ they bring as much you want of salad, green beans, corn, mashed potatoes, gravy and biscuits. When any bowl gets low they are out there to the table with another. I was able to choose what I wanted and that was that. Two of us wanted chicken strips and they brought a platter out piled high with them. I ate 3, an elderly lady ate one and I don’t know how many Susan ate but there was a whole lot left so her fireman son didn’t have to order any when he got there a bit late. The meat portions that were ordered were enough to feed more than one I do believe. The person that ordered roasted chicken got 5 large pieces. Will’s steak covered most of a big plate. Anyway as you can imagine that was a popular place. I was able to watch my portions in there and enjoy the banter about the table. I can give myself a pat on the back for I did show a pound down this weigh day. I’m on a roll now and plan to lose a pound a week.

We are under a wind alert this day with a 59% chance of thunder storms.

DONNA FAYE Looks like you are feeling so much better for you are doing much more. The beat goes on. Your poor sis was being used big time. Nice that an end of that is coming soon.

JEAN That is very rude to show up 20 minutes late. Shows a lack of respect for those that have to wait on them. A good rule of thumb is to try to be at least 15 minutes early to an appointment of any sort. Being the church secretary doesn't give her the segway to be rude.

SUSAN Interesting article re:sleep - thanks for posting it. I use Pesto on my Panninis sometimes and have put it in WW's veggie soup. Interesting that WW has now a recipe using it that way. I add chopped garlic to that soup recipe also. Would you mind posting that new veggie soup recipe? Or e-mailing it to me. We drove by the building where I started my WW journey when we lived in Texas. When we do relocate down there I will find out where they are now meeting.

I found a feature on my Blackberry very interesting when we were gone for I am able to delete e-mail off my computer from my phone. Junk mail. I have used that feature before and it is one of my favorites for when I come home and turn on my computer I don't have a hundred e-mails to deal with. Just the ones that sneak in and don't show up on my phone. I can then answer the ones from friends when I get home. Works for me.

Have a great day Magnolias. OH the wildflowers are beautiful in the ditches along the roads. Type at y'all later.

PS: I have had lunch and am back in my office for a bit. After putting the lunch things back in the fridge I saw both Beanie and Cecil taking a drink at the same time out of the same water bowl. Me without a way to take a picture at the time. I am pretty sure they have done that before but I just never caught them doing it. They are certainly buddies for sure.
  • Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a long day! We didn't balance counting at church this morning so it was almost noon before I got home. We had lots of change containers for Lent and it took forever to count and recount. I was home long enough to grab a sandwich and headed to a P.E.O. meeting at the place where mil lived for a year. Saw several of Jason's "old" teachers and they all asked about him. Bob had practice after work so I counted gift shop money and did that bookwork. I fell asleep in front of the tv and now I'm heading to bed shortly. Tomorrow is my morning to work in the gift shop and then I will go to church and work on the quarterly mailing of giving statements.

"Gma" -- It's too bad your sister has had to put up with such terrible behavior in her grandchildren. I hope she stands up to her son when she goes homes. How sad! It's great that you had a nice visit together and look forward to seeing her again.

Susan -- The computer says it is 67 degrees right now. It did hit 83 this afternoon. You could come and clean for me; I never seem to catch up. Did you get everything done?

Maggie -- Welcome back and on losing another #! Where in Texas did you go? I'm sure your furry trio is glad to be home with you again. Did the vet let all 3 room together? The restaurant trip sounds interesting.

I will be back sometime tomorrow! Have a terrific Tuesday and enjoy!

• Here's the new recipe:

SPRING VEGETABLE SOUP WITH PESTO

4 Points per Serving - Prep: 15 Min. - Cook:25 Min. - Serves 8

1 t. extra-virgin olive oil
    4 medium uncooked leeks, diced (white and light green only)
    1 c. uncooked diced celery
    1 c. uncooked diced carrots
    1 t. kosher salt
    2 t. minced garlic
    64 oz. canned chicken broth
    1 c. diced zucchini
    1 c. fresh or frozen green peas
    19 oz. canned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    14-1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
    4 t. store bought pesto sauce or homemade pesto

Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, add leeks, celery, carrots, and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.

Stir garlic into pot, cook for 1 minute.

Add broth; increase heat to high and bring to a boil.

Stir in zucchini, peas, beans, and tomatoes; cook until flavors blend, about 10 minutes.

Serve soup with 1/2 teaspoon pesto swirled into top.

Yields about 1-1/4 cups soup and 1/2 teaspoon pesto per serving.

ENJOY!
  • Good morning gals. It is gonna be another hot and sunny one here today though I think storms are going to move in for the next couple days. I will sure be glad when this progestin is done. It has such awful side effects and I am tired of being tired all the time no matter how much rest I get. It seems like maybe a couple of the other side effects have finally settled down. I sure hope so. I just have until June than I am completely done with it.

Susan: Thanks for the recipe. Wow, it is kind of chilly at your house, huh? We seemed to have skipped spring here. I noticed we are starting to have bug problems already, ugh! We have XM on our tv and I turn it to the 60's channel when I clean to make it go faster. Hope you are all done now.

Maggie: Welcome back and congrats on you lb loss. I know you are happy about that. I am sure your little guys are happy to have you back home and glad you had such a nice trip. There is a restaurant in Sikeston MO called Lamberts, home of the throwed rolls. You order what you want, but they bring around several different veggies and stuff like fried potatoes, tomatoes and macaroni and a couple other things and the waiters throw your dinner rolls at you. They are delicious and huge. We have only been one time, but the food was ok and like your restaurant the portions are huge.

Jean: I can't imagine counting lots of change, UGH! Glad you have it all done, but you probably will have to do it over and over until Easter, right? I am not what is going on with the kids and Easter. Kelly finally emailed me last night and said they were talking about it and would know by tomorrow. So we shall see. I know the brunch is sold out.

Well girls, I need to go. Have things to do today and have to get going. Have a great Tuesday. Faye
  • GOOD EARLY AFRERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 48º with rain showers here in the ♥-Land. It started raining yesterday and we sure need it. Will took a picture of Cecil sleeping and he is sound asleep. He is a character. I can’t imagine sleeping like that but he snoozes away with no trouble at all. I like how he has one paw over his eyes and one hind leg stretched out up on the back of the couch.

I don’t have a plan for much exciting things today. Exercise, what cleaning needs to be done then my glass work. I need to get back to that for I haven’t done any for awhile. I have the pieces all cut out ready to grind the edges smooth for a building sitting on my work table.

Will wants spaghetti for dinner so that makes planning that meal easy. I will make a nice tossed salad to go with it.

SUSAN Thank you so much for posting that recipe. I have never cooked leeks ~ are they somewhat like a mild onion in taste? That is just one veggie that never crossed my path.

DONNA FAYE I am sure you will rejoice when June arrives and takes with it those meds that are making you sleepy all the time. June will be here before we know it. April sure sneeked up on me anyway.

JEAN We were at a place in Texas called Gainsville. A stones throw from Sanger & Denton and not too far from Dallas - Fort Worth area but far enough to be smaller communities. I don't know if they let the three animals room together. When Will went down to retrive them it was so busy he just paid and left and didn't get a chance to yack with the help. It took Cecil a couple hours before he would even go near Will. He was fine with me so I guess he was mad at the person that left him at the care facility. Cecil isn't so vocal today. Yesterday he was letting us have it with the meow, mewo, meow business every time we would even look at him. We got told off royally. Ragg Mopp was his usual self and Beanie was exhuberant and showed he was trilled to see us again.

I am now going to find something for lunch then get some work done. Type at y'all later.
  • Good afternoon, ladies! Another cool day at 59 degrees and sunny. I don't know where are lovely warm weather went but I hope it comes back soon!

Maggie, glad to have you back. You posted while I was typing! I'm glad you had a good trip. It seems you are doomed to always have to come back sooner than planned. I wish these family style restaurants with their huge portions would get a more realistic view. All they are doing is contributing to the obesity in this country. I usually don't like the food in them either. I'd rather have a small portion of well made food than a vat of mediocre. Did the "kids" get to room together. It's wonderful you came home from vacation a pound less. You are on a roll now.

Faye, COPD and severe asthma have chronic fatigue as a component. I sleep well but always feel tired but I just keep pushing and doing. Exercise helps me to feel more energetic. Now that my weekly cleaning is over, I need to think about doing windows and cleaning carpets this month...and my sewing room needs a good spring cleaning as well.

Jean, you just go from job to job. I really should do more volunteer work. One thing for sure, you are busier now that you are retired than when you were working.

Have a wonderful day. I'm going to the gym after work.
  • Good Evening, Flowers! I just finished watching DWTS, and was surprised by who got voted off this time. I'm looking forward to having tomorrow to myself although I think I may make a grocery run for my Easter menu items. I was busy at the gift shop which made the morning go fast. I sold some things and then helped the volunteer director dust shelves -- she climbed on the chair to dust the top shelves and I held the items for her. Bob came for lunch in the coffee shop and then I headed to church for the afternoon of stuffing, sealing, and stamping envelopes. My house needs attention badly . . . tomorrow!

"Gma" -- It has cooled down here tonight and the weatherman says we will be cool and wet tomorrow. We do need rain. I checked the bank sheet today and we counted $90.32 worth of quarters, dimes, nickles, and pennies yesterday -- filled a zippered bank bag with just the coins. It was heavy! I do hope you get to spend some time with Thomas during the Easter weekend.

Susan -- Thank you for sharing the recipe. I've never eaten leeks either. I will be working in the church office again in a couple weeks while the secretary and her daughter go gallivanting off to So. Carolina (I think) to inspect a wedding site at a castle. The mornings go by pretty quickly so I usually can keep busy. I will try to run the printing and folding machines for the bulletins while she's gone this time. It's not that hard, it's just that I don't do it often enough to feel overly confident doing it by myself.

Maggie -- You have cooled down too! It was awfully windy again today so hope it blows some rain our way. Thanks for sharing the picture of Cecil -- I'd think he'd be stiff after sleeping like that! Ernie is so big I don't think he would or could sleep like that; he usually stretches out as far as he can. Also the picture of the eagle babies since I didn't know #3 hatched. They are cute!

I am heading off to bed and read for awhile. Hope you all have a great day tomorrow!
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! The wind is still blowing hard and it's a cool sunny day. We had a breakfast at church this morning and I stayed awhile to help clean up afterwards. Then I had just gotten home when the dentist's office called saying that if I could come right then they had time. I had cancelled an earlier appt. in March because of a sore throat and cough. $97 later I was late coming home for lunch and the cupboards are pretty bare.

I need to double check my grocery list and head out. Enjoy the rest of your day!
  • Wonderful Chilly Wednesday
    GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is 1:55pm and I have not eaten anything as of yet for I am not a bit hungry. Will offered to take me out to I-Hop for breakfast but I declined for I didn’t want to spend the points there. I just have the feeling that once there I would eat too many points worth of yummy breakfast food ~ where at home I can fix something yummy when I want it.

It is currently 50º’s with a chance of rain showers. What we have been getting has soaked in nicely. Our Lilac bush is absolutely beautiful with all those good smelling purple flowers. I am thinking of bringing a bouquet of them inside. Our daffodils and iris plants are looking good and I will be happy when they bloom.

I feel absolutely lazy today and have not accomplished much at all yet this day. But there are always things that I “must” do that will get done before the day is over.

I ran out of croutons and Will couldn’t find them at the market where we shop then remembered he had bought them at the dollar store. I wanted the same kind he had got me before ~ for these are really good and are only 1P+ for a 2Tbsp serving. They are made by “Rothbury Farms” and are named Seasoned Croutons which are made with whole grains and zero grams of trans fat. They are “The brand judged best tasting overall among major national competitors by a panel of chefs of American Culinary Chefs Best.” If you like croutons on your soup or salad may I suggest that you try this brand. I don’t get any kick back for telling you this for I am not promoting them for any monetary gain for I am just sharing a product that I really like and think you will like it also.

JEAN How nice you got to go to the denist and now have very clean choppers. They did clean them for you didn't they? You can keep your wind for we have enough ourselves here. That bag of coins must have weighed a ton. Do you have to roll them or does you bank put them in the counting machine and roll them for you?

SUSAN Those kinds of restaurants are not my most favorite either. A person could certainly overeat big time there. The one we went to had a good chef for the meat was excellent. The veggies were not overcooked and had a fresh taste. I was happy to see the tossed salad came with a lite vinegar-oil dressing. It was an excellent restaurant but not one that I would frequent often but we were guests and went where the hosts took us. I just made the best of the situation I could and didn't complain. Portion and choice control. I drank iced tea with lemon and without sweetener. There is a place in town here that you pay one price then make your choices off the long buffet counters which has excellent salad and meat choices which we go to on occasion. I stay away from the ooey gooey yummy looking stuff and load my plate up with fresh greens.

Everyone have a lovely day. Type at y'alll later.