Steel Magnolias #1

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Thankful Tuesday
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a nice sunny day here in the ♥-land. The temps are said to be between 56º and 26º and is currently 46º. I am going to get my hair trimmed this afternoon and it sure needs it. The dogs are both at the groomer, as I type, and Cecil is lost without them. Right now he has given up searching for them and is taking a nap. Today is the day I am going to order my light fixtures for my glass houses. I watch the flyers from the company and like to order when things are put on sale. Right now I can get more bang for the buck, as they say. I had the dickens of a time getting into this web site this day. It said it was not available so I had to back door it through a search engine. First I tried restarting my computer and that didn’t work. Ah, but then I thought there are other ways to get somewhere on this information highway and I took a different route and arrived here. Interesting how that works. I learned some new things about this web address for it has items that are interesting beside the threads that have been added since I last cruised around in it. Not much happening here on this day. I have yet to figure out our menu for the dinner meal but will come up with something yummy and OP.

JEAN Are you talking about the WW bookmark that has the Use The Tools at the top? All the tools for living are presented on this bookmark I have. I think it was from the old “Turn Around” program back in 2004. I have that one laminated to preserve it. I love using my little laminating machine a gal gave me once when we lived in Idaho. Maybe, if you want I can copy it and make you one if this is the one you want. The tools are still good to use with any program WW has for weight loss.

TAKE THE 'BUTT' OUT OF BUTTER
    Eat your bread or toast plain or with low-calorie jam; use hot sauce or a seasoning mix on veggies; try salsa on your baked potato.

COUNT YOUR EGGS
    Reducing the number of yolks in cooking and baking by 23 to 30 prcent will trim the fat in your meals but will still afford you plenty of flavor. for instance, if you're scrambling three eggs, remove one of the yolks. You'll still have a great-tasting breakfast.

Everyone have a lovely day: Type at you later.
  • Afternoon ladies. I have been trying to work on the baby blanket this morning and control the quivering too so it is slow going. A couple more days then maybe I can get some answers and get what needs to be done, done.

Maggie: I think we were posting at the same time yesterday. Anyway, congrats on the big loss. That's great so just keep working to get more off.
    Next week is haircut week for me. Jack has his haircuts all on his yearly calendar so he comes out perfect for vacation! I told him he is a total slob in some ways and prissy in others, such an enigma!

Jean: We are in the upper 50's at the moment. Maybe we will just bypass winter and go right to spring. Doesn't sound like you have so much running around today as usual.

Susan: I am afraid I would end up telling Dr House off even if he is a great dr. I am a definite good bedside manner kind of gal. I have a list of questions and such I am going to discuss with her and talk about the option of the more serious hysterectomy or taking hormones or something to help with all this other stuff that is going on. We shall see, I guess. Glad you like the baby things. I thought they came out really cute. The baby blanket pattern are squares of cream and seashell pink and the squares are repeated hearts. Really cute, but one row you have to knit 4 stitches together and that kills my hands so every 12 rows I am back to doing that. I knit a few 10 rows patterns then put it down then go back to it. I have one square done and am going to go back and start the next one.

Well gals, I need to get some work done. I am pretty shaky, but have to get some things done no matter what and just go slow unloading dishes, etc. Have a great Tuesday everybody!!! Faye
  • Back For A Bit
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It has turned out to be quite a lovely day this day. I got my hair cut and it sure looks more presentable. Will wants to go out to eat this day which is fine with me as long as he makes a decision of where he wants to go. He said he wants Mexican so I know where we are going and have planned what to order that will fit snugly into my daily points. I love those chips and hot, hot salsa they serve there but will limit myself to 10 chips for 4 P+ and have two beef tacos and some rice and call it all 20 P+. That will do it for me this day and besides I won't have to cook.

DONNA FAYE I know you will be relieved once you do get to the doctor. That baby is going to be stilin' when she gets those things you are making.

Everyone have a great evening.
  • Maggie -- I'm glad to see you even if you had to come in the back door! I'd be sol if my "favorite" button didn't work to get here. The bookmark was the one you got right after you join and lose 5#s; you could stick the 5#s lost stars all over it. I was raised on butter and like Paula Deen, once a butter girl always a butter girl. I admit we do use soft spread margarine but I really prefer butter. I don't think I could eat 3 eggs at one time. For some reason we rarely have eggs for breakfast unless we are eating out. Enjoy your Mexican meal tonight!

"Gma" -- You sound like I finally did before I had my surgery. If my doctor hadn't agreed to a hysterectomy, I was going to find a doctor who would. Since I had a "history" he agreed with me. I was on hormones for 13 years, afterwards, which is longer than recommended. The end side effects of taking them weren't positive and I quit. I went to the grocery store this afternoon and my car said it was 57 degrees on my way home! Unbelievable! We have a wind advisory for tomorrow and it's going to blow in the cold air!
  • Back For A Bit
    GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I am one happy camper this evening. We did go out to our favorite Mexican restaurant and I stuck to my plan. I counted out what chips I had planned on eating and asked Will to put the basket on the other side of him so I wouldn't reach in and get more. Worked out great and we had a great time. The UPs man came this afternoon and brought my little pocket scale. After dinner we went to Wal*Mart and got a glasses cover so I would have a case for it. I got a black padded slip in case that has two compartments. One for glasses and one for something smaller. Well I will keep the instructions in the smaller place. I cut the bottom off since it was too long and sewed it up and it looks like that case was made for the scale. The lift off cover for the scale doubles as the tray and doesn't fit real tight when it is used as the cover and that gave me the clue to get a case for it for in my purse that cover may just come off. The scale has 4 weighing modes: grams (g); ounces (oz); Troy ounces (ozt) and pennyweight (dwt). So they have it all covered it seems. It also has a backlit digital display which is very easy to read. It measures 4.5" L; 2.5" W and 0.5" H. The capacity for weighing is 1.1 lb. I like it a lot. I am sure thankful WW magazine featured a little blurb about it or I may not have known it was out there being sold. I think I will fold up a couple of cupcake papers to slip in the pocket with the instructions to weigh something in to keep the scale clean. I have some with foil on the outside that will be great for that. I can just use the foil part with the scale and a couple folded up will fit nicely in that pocket.

JEAN OH I don't have that one anymore for I never used it and tossed it. I used a different method to paste my stars. Do you want bookmark I mentioned I have? I have a laminated one I can send you that I made. We also use "real butter" when we use it. I have a nice little crock that you put butter in and water in the bottom and it keeps it fresh. I count the points when I eat the butter which I do eat on biscuits but can eat dry toast.

Type at y'all later.
  • Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is blowing big time and I don't wanna go outside! Today is my lunch bunch at noon and think I will tan first. I ran a few errands yesterday when it was so nice. It's crazy how fast the weather can change! Our lake has opened up again, and with the full moon shining on it last night it was so pretty and sparkly.

Maggie -- I really don't need another bookmark, but thanks anyway. I know you will enjoy using your new pocket scale. You have to be the SM gadget !

I need to get busy and pick up the clutter that somehow accumulated yesterday. I also noticed the dust bunnies have had babies when I wasn't looking. Have a Wonderful Wednesday and enjoy!
  • Wonderful Windy Wednesday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is so windy this day in the Heartland. The temps are low and it is said they will stay between 37 and 12. Yikes I do believe winter is upon us. The wind brings things that make me sneeze. I sneeze a lot at it is ~ at least twice daily and this is wind doesn't help. It is just something I have always done ~ sneezed at least twice daily. One could almost tell time by my sneezes since they come about the same time each day. I actually have to figure out something for dinner this day since we went out last evening we don't want to go get Colonel Cluck tonight. I will go shopping in my freezer after I get off here. We are getting a used freezer for free delivered here today which needs to be cleaned up for it was left open and the folks food spoiled in it so they just bought a new one because they didn't want to clean it. We know the delivery man and he gets to find homes for the ones they haul out of folks houses. He came by and asked if we wanted it. It is a smaller one than we have but it is an upright. Big enough to hold half a beef that we are getting come spring. We will have him put it in the patio so we can clean it and get it all aired out good then I think we will let it live in our house someplace. We could put it in here for there is room in my office/crafts room and that would make it more convenient for me to get to than if we put it downstairs. We will just have to wait and see just where the best place to put it will be.

JEAN So you think I am the gadget do you. I just get the necessary tools I believe will help me down this road to thin. Now, if you want to call them "gadgets" so be it ~ I accept the honor. I call them my "Tools for Living." I keep that bookmark handy laying beside my computer and look at it often. Sure you don't want a laminated copy? I really don't use it as a bookmark but as a visual to help me down this road to thin.

LOSE 5 POUNDS FAST
    CONSIDER Five pounds equals roughly 17,000 calories. Cut those calories out of your diet or do activities that burn up those calories, and you should lose about 5 pounds. that may sound like a lot of calories, but you can melt them away in a month of smart eating and simple exercises.
    HERE'S HOW
    Drink 16 ounces of skim milk each day
    Instead of 2% milk
    Calories Lost/Burned: 2400*

Walk the dog for 15 extra minutes each day.
    Or take a 15-minute walk during your lunch break.
    Calories Lost/Burned: 2,200*

Get your chocolate fix:
    Eat half a cup of chocolate pudding made with 2% milk instead of, say, two chocolate sandwich cookies with an 8-ounce glass of whole milk every day.
    Calories Lost/Burned: 3,300*

Shovel snow for half an hour once a week.
    Don't pay the neighbor's kid! Volunteer to shovel an elderly neighbor's walkway, too.
    Calories Lost/Burned: 900*

Instead of French fries with lunch three days a week,
    Have a baked potato with a little salt and pepper.
    Calories Lost/Burned: 1,900*

Eat an open-faced sandwich every day.
    Losing that one piece of bread will help you shed almost a pound.
    Calories Lost/Burned: 3,o00*

*Calorie burn-rate is based on 155-pound person over one month's time. People who weigh more will burn more. All numbers quoted are approximate.

All Magnolias have a wonderful day. I am staying inside until Bible study this evening for the wind is blowing HARD. Type at y'all later
  • Afternoon girls. I am so ready for whatever the doctor wants to do. This week has been the worst ever and I can't stand it any longer. I have been up since 5 am with Jack, but I have just felt so horrible all I did was sit in the recliner and watch tv and knit. Well, I did unload and reload the dishwasher, do a couple loads of laundry and am making dinner, but nothing else. I am just so tired and rotten feeling that it is horrible. I am desperately trying to stay op, but frankly I am just picking up whatever is quickest to eat, which may not put me over pts but isn't healthy for sure. I would have a lot more fresh fruit to just pick up and eat if it were summer, but I am limited pretty much to apples and bananas because I can't seem to find decent citrus products and they are too expensive to buy and then be inedible so I pass. I have been eating crackers and lower fat cheese, the lower calorie tropicana orange juice and that's about it.

I will let you all know what I find out tomorrow after I get back from the dr. You all have a nice day. Faye
  • Maggie -- It's down to 15 degrees, 27 mph wind, and it feels like a very cold -5 outside. We had just a few minutes of blowing snow this afternoon but it didn't last long enough to land and stay put. The only parts of the "Lose 5#s Fast" I could do is the potato and one slice of bread sandwich. I'm not a milk drinker, don't have a dog to walk and Ernie certainly wouldn't cooperate on a leash, and there is no snow to shovel . . . yet. They all sound doable though.

"Gma" -- I will send positive vibes and good luck for your doctor visit tomorrow! You've been in my thoughts and prayers!

We are supposed to have another windy, cold day tomorrow. My crafty club is meeting for lunch (at a bar where there was a flash mob fight a couple weeks ago!) since no one volunteered to host it this month. Tomorrow night Bob's board is having an after Christmas dinner so I won't have to cook at all tomorrow. Of course, the food most likely won't be OP either. I'm going to watch the news and head for bed.
  • Morning gals. Back from the doctor and we are going ahead with an ablation. I have had the bunch of blood tests I need this morning and am waiting to hear back about the appt for a cat scan. She wants to look at all my female organs before proceeding and my kidneys to make sure all is well with everything else. She did another pap smear this morning to have that checked out though she said my cervix looked good then after all that is done they will schedule me for the ablation, which only takes around 5 minutes to do under local. Jack will have to take the day off though as I can't drive home. I ask her about recoup time and she said there is none at my age. I should be fine unless there is a problem. She plans to "scope" me before she does the procedure to make sure the uterus looks all a-ok since the last time I had everything done. I did ask lots of questions including whether these other non uterine symptoms would go away and she said they should, but then my case is fairly unusual as to my symptoms, ie having bad cramping and pain and shaking and such without the bleeding so, she is perplexed, which both my regular drs were as well as the last gyn I went to. She said after I have the procedure if I am still in pain we will look at more options. {{{sigh}}} Of course, I knew she couldn't just guarantee a yes, but I was hoping for more definitive answers.

I ran a couple errands and went to the store real quick, but now I have the shaking stuff again with pain so going to take it easy until I have to go and get Jack.

Have a good day all. I will try and get back in here and do individual postings later. Faye
  • Titalating Thursday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly windy day here in the Heartland with a current temp of 17. They say we will be between 14 and 30 this day. Burr ~ Will just left to search for a certain kind of wax and he was wearing a nice wind block coat and gloves so he will be fine. No type of weather can stop him from getting out I do believe. He bought some delicious cupcakes to pass out after class last night and we sang happy birthday to Paul. I had saved some points so I could have one of those little cakes.

We missed the last T-Party meeting here on Monday and that will teach us. I was made chairman of a committee and I wasn't even there. I think the term for that is "rail-roaded". My committee is the Legislation group that is supposed to watch the Senate for any bills they are fixin' to put out and do put out. Thank goodness there is a web site set up to do just that and I can check in on that periodically and report my findings! This is the last year that the leader in this area wants to be the leader and has asked Will to take over. Will told him that will NOT happen for his plate is full already. It is good to be involved and just do what we can to help our country which is in dire straights. I find it interesting that I was made chairman for there are some big muckey mucks on that committee. Tickles me for some reason. Who would-a thought. Life is good. Will is on my committee. I will assign him to do all the work.

DONNA FAYE At least now you will get started on treatment. If what is done at first then they can surely find what it is that is causing your other symptoms if they persist. But lets keep our that this does the trick. We can always hope. You are in my prayers.

JEAN Well look at it this way ~ at least you found 2 things that could help you off that list. I could loan you Beanie to walk. He would keep you on a very fast pace even though he is just a little guy. When I start walking outside I think I will take Ragg Mopp. But for now I have to walk inside for it is just too windy to be out there. That is my excuse and I am sticking to it.

These today are from the “Snack Smart” pages in the booklet. Snacks can be your best friend when losing weight. They keep you satisfied so you don’t fall off the diet wagon. Here are some of our favorite sneaky snack tips. You might find you can use both of today's tips.

DRINK WARM BEVERAGES
    Warm beverages can act as appetite suppressants. so soothe your stomach and soul with a comforting cup of bouillon, herbal tea, hot cider or low-fat hot chocolate.

CREATE AN EMERGENCY STACH
    Be prepared for a hunger attack. Keep an emergency stash of nuts and energy bars to nibble on in your desk drawer, purse and glove compartment

All you Magnolias out there have a lovely day. Type at y'all later.
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's cloudy, windy, COLD, and "feels like" -13 this afternoon. If only the sun would shine it would seem a little warmer. I had a different gal do my nails this morning and they feel different than when the guy does them. I like him better and he's faster too. I lost 1.8# at WW; my leader was attending some sort of training so we had a sub. I was meeting crafty club gals for lunch so didn't stay for the meeting. Lunch and visiting was fun, and I was able to preheat the car before I left to come home. I should do some laundry but maybe tomorrow. It's too late to start anything major now.

"Gma" -- I hope you can have the ablation soon and it will work this time. You have been far more patient dealing with this than I could be. It sounds like your new doctor is very thorough and that's a good thing.

Maggie -- I've gotten "rail-roaded" into a couple of different offices over the years so I've learned to attend meetings when I know it's time for a change. I would love to walk Beanie but I don't think he would like the commute. I do drink warm, or hot, during the winter but not so much during the summer. I also have bulk almonds measured out and WW bars on hand. I really prefer some of the other granola and/or energy bars though.

I just remembered I have towels in the washer so best get them in the dryer before I have to leave again. Enjoy your evening; I hope there is something good on tv!
  • Good morning here today. We even had snow that didn't stick yesterday. It dropped into the 20's last night so it is quite chilly this morning. Poor Jack had to leave in the dark this morning as one of our big spot lights in the back blew out and the other one, which has one of those energy efficient bulbs in it won't put out proper light now. So I guess it is a trip to Lowes to replace them both. Jack needs to get up on a step ladder and find out why our motion lights quit working several months ago now. It is just a chore he keeps forgetting about.

The nurse called yesterday and my ct scan is scheduled for Tuesday morning, which is great that they are moving forward to quickly. I may be able to get this done before we go to Atlanta the middle of next month. We were planning on going to Nashville for the holiday weekend and do some vacation shopping at the Opry Mills, but it is closed until April 1 so we decided to drive over to Atlanta. It takes a few extra hours, but it is a nice short getaway, Kelly said she would watch Fortune for us and they have several malls and outlets we can hunt stuff in. I don't know how much I will be buying since I don't know what size I will need, but I have a lot of capris and pants and need tshirts and tops more than anything. I am also thinking of buying a good pair of tennis shoes to walk in. St Thomas is very hilly and so it is tough walking.

Jean: I will certainly be glad when we do this and hope it solves the problems completely. I hear nothing but good things about the procedure helping people as one of the gals that works out where Jack is has had it, one of Kelly's friends, one of the receptionists at the dr's office said her cousin had it done and they all say it solved their problems, though all of them were much younger than I am. Big congrats on the loss!!!

Maggie: You can be overinvolved and in doing so, cut out all your family time. On top of that, it is exhausting when you are always going to meetings, working on some volunteer thing, etc. Fortune is one of those dogs that pulls you along. I have never been able to train him not to do it so he chokes himself when we walk. I saw a thing on tv the other day for some kind of mesh type thing that fits on a dog more like a vest that you can have more control with a dog. Don't know if it would work though. Fortune has to go to the vet a week from today and get his heartworm shot. I love having the injections that last for 6 months versus the monthly beef chew thing. Next month is yearlys to the money will out of my pocket!

Well Jack filed out taxes last night so with the fact the IRS doesn't start processing any until the 17th then it takes two days to update status, we figure we should have out refund on the 3rd and I can pay off the cruise and pay for the rest of the cruise expenses including buying our new luggage. My old luggage has about had it and we have hodge podge pieces. This way we will each have our own in our own color, Jack picked a bright yellow and mine is pink!

Well gals, you all have a grand weekend. I am going to get in the recliner and knit up a storm as I didn't get anything done yesterday and the blanket takes awhile. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, a breeze is blowing, and it's "warmed" up to 2 degrees from -0 when I went downstairs this morning. I'd like to know the difference between 0 and -0 as both are COLD! I've been to tan and am going to work on my shoe pile next. I also need to sort through clothes to see if I need anything new besides undies. I can't find the bra I've worn for years, online, so I hope it is still available in the stores. We are going to Sioux City on Wednesday to pick up Girl Scout Cookies and have supper with Beth and family. Instead of taking cookie orders, this year the girls were given the cookies in advance. Beth had some advance orders and had to get cookies from others to fill her orders. I wonder what they will do if they run out of cookies and people want more.

"Gma" -- Isn't this procedure the same thing you had done the last time? I could be confused which is nothing new. I've never heard anyone, but you, talk about it. I'm glad your CT scan is soon and you can get the ball rolling. Our motion light sensor gets cobwebs wound around it sometimes. Other times the wind will cause it to go off and on continuously, and then Bob will shut it off. My neighbor is an avid walker and when she takes her little dog along, she usually ends up carrying him home. I hope your tax refund arrives quickly. We would have gotten one last year, but just applied it to this years taxes. I hate writing those checks to the IRS!!! Have fun knitting today!

I do need to get busy. I have laundry going and need to fold a load of towels that should be dry by now. Enjoy your day and remember to smile!
  • Friday The Thirteenth
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a cool 28 degrees as I type and said to warm up to 45 this day in the Heartland. It is chilly in here so it is time for the furnace to kick in. Since it is partly cloudy and mostly sunny it will be a pleasant day for the wind isn't blowing. Yet, anyway. Schwan man just came and delivered a box of those boneless pork chops which I will cut up into small squares and make some Chili Verde. Works for me. When I phoned in my order to "Glass Crafters" I got to talking with the gal on the phone and she asked for me to send some pictures of my houses to the company. I copied off a few of the buildings and one of the grouping I had won the prize with. Guess they like to see what their sheets of glass are turned into. I have been dealing with that same company for many, many years.

JEAN on that weight loss. You can do this thing if you keep your focus and skip on down the road to thin. Believe you can. What a wonderful feature to be able to pre-heat your vehicle. This cat we have purrs more than anyone cat I have ever had in my lifetime. His motor is going almost constantly ~ guess he is a happy cat. Last night he was sleeping at the bottom of the bed and when I moved and bumped him with my feet he started purring. Guess he liked the attention. He is an independent little guy though. Not always in your lap kind of cat. I think he thinks he is a puppy.

DONNA FAYE I suppose you are correct about getting over-involved but I am not there yet and don't plan to be. I am a multi-tasker type person and can handle several things at a time. What is nice is that Will and I are on the same committee. If I am the chairman of a committee that means that I don't have to do any work but "delegate." I was made chairman because of my organizational skills. A shaker and a mover. I have already delegated that Will take over the meetings and I will do the minutes. See how that works ~ delegate. I am sure glad that the efficiency bulb thing didn't pass. I don't like those things and we don't have any here in the house or yard. They aren't efficient if they make a person have to squint. They make wonderful tennies for walking that give you great support. You will find a pair that suits you and you will be walking with delight.

DIVE INTO DAIRY
    Eat more dairy products. In a study of 34 otherwise healthy obse adults, those who consumed three servings of light yogurt daily (for a total of 1,00 milligrams of calcium) lost 22 percent more weight and 61 percent more body fat than those on a low-dairy diet (500 milligrams of calcium).

CRAVING ICE CREAM?
    Here's a good substitute for ice cream when you're dieting. Mix mandarin oranges canned in their own juice with a couple tablespoons of light whipped topping. The Oranges give a great hit of vitamin C and other antioxidants, and the light whipped topping gives the snack an indulgent feel. Recommended servings size: 1/2 cup canned mandarin oranges with 2 tablespoons light whipped topping. 50 Calories.

Have a great day Magnolias ~ Type at y'all later.