Old 12-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #1  
Thin Within

Default Steel Magnolias #55

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly drizzily day here in the heartland. We had potluck at church and I did real well on my choices and talked more than ate for there was a visitor that lives in MN that we don't see very often so we had some catching up to do. I ended eating a piece of chicken that I pulled the skin off and a small roll and about a tablespoon of corn. Drank black coffee and did just fine. No dessert and there were some yummy looking ones there for sure. I think we will go out to Applebees this night after services. They always have good points+ yummy WW choices on the menu so it is an easy place for me to eat out at.

I just finished cleaning Cecil's butt hutt and of course I had an audience. All the critters have to see what I am up to with that business. Then Cecil hops in and inspects. It's a daily routine and afterwards every one gets a "good boy." Once in a great while I get to clean it out while they are all outside and it sure makes it easier and quicker to get done.

A friend got his buck so is going to give us some of the meat. I know how to cook vinison so hope it wasn't alfalfa fed. I'll have to dig out my recipes and decide what to make first.

JEAN I imagine you are so glad you are through toy shopping. My goodness they have so many toys out on the market nowdays ~ it makes my head swim. It makes it so much easier when Mom or Dad say what the kids want isn't it. Doing the program on line like I do ~ we don't get those neat handouts. Just the basics I guess. I am going to see if the local place will let Will bring me a new Points Pocket Guide when he goes in to buy me a new 3 month tracker on Monday. I see from the web site there is also a new cook book out now.

SUSAN Sounds like you had a good time and over did it a bit but I imagine the fun being out was worth it. How sweet they are at Bella to have a recliner for you. They sound like caring folks so you can really enjoy the applique bee while being in comfort.

Have a lovely evening Magnolias. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #2  

Good Evening, Flowers! My day began at 5:30 this morning and it's been a long one. I left for church a little after 7; we had extra practice time and we needed it. People said we were awesome once again so guess we were impressive. My part was busier than usual and I was nervous but did ok. We left town and met up with friends for lunch and the musical comedy. It was two couples; one married 30+ years and one married 5 months. They actually were married to each other which made their acting very realistic. It was a cute program. After the program we headed to the caroling gathering. By the time we finished caroling it was dark so we drove around the countryside viewing some of the Christmas lighting that farmers do on a HUGE scale. The hosts fixed a full scale meal for everyone and we headed home.

Susan -- I'm glad you were able to be out and about yesterday. I'm sure you enjoyed your day and especially going to church. I hope the recliner day and ice helped the swelling and pain in your foot and knee.

Maggie -- on being in control at the church potluck today. They can be hazardous for sure! Everything always looks so good. The guy across the street is a deer hunter -- hangs them in his garage to bleed out. Someone got him one of those lighted reindeer and hung it upside down from the basketball hoop with a string of red lights hanging from its mouth. I hate it.

I'm heading for bed! See you tomorrow.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. Gonna have to make this quick as I have to take Jack to work this morning. I got my referral to the gyn on Friday, yippeee so she made the appt this morning first thing knowing I wanted to get this going, which was so sweet of her. So I am up and showered and dressed and phoophooed and everything ready to go as my appt is 8 am. I will just go to the dr's and wait until they open at 7:30 instead of coming home for 10 minutes and going back out again.

Sorry I didn't get in here yesterday but I have been in horrible pain all weekend long and the only thing I forced myself to do is go commissary shopping on Saturday. I am 3 lbs up, but that's ok. Jack basically did take out for us all weekend and for me will put lbs on quick. I will get them off this week I am sure as I am feeling ok this morning.

Maggie: No, I make cookies "full bodied" so to speak. Jack doesn't like sugar free desserts of any kind so I just make them and he eats them when he wants one. Poor man is sitting here having a Niaspan attack and I know he is miserable. His whole body is bright red, he tingles, itches, and is very hot. There is nothing that can be done about it and nothing that can replace this medication. It is for his HDL to bring it up, though I don't think it works for him, they really insist on him taking it. He has occasional attacks but they are looloos when they happen. Glad you enjoyed you Sunday potluck and whatever you did in the evening.

Jean: You know I hate in store shopping and I do understand online shopping stress. I have found the same thing with those two stores about shipping. I hope they aren't "santa" gifts but just stuff from grandma and grandpa so the kids will understand if they get there late. Congrats on your bell program. Sounds like it was nice.

Susan: Hope you are feeling better today and stayed off your foot. I know it is a nuisance and you can get cabin fever, but it a necessary evil as they say. Hope you had fun at your bee.

Well, I have to get out of here as we will be leaving in just a couple minutes. Have a wonderful start to your week!!! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a day in the 40 and cloudy with rain expected Tuesday and Wednesday which is good for we do need the moisture. The dogs are both at the goomer getting a bath and Cecil sure misses them. He has been into everything and even dumped his water which I had just filled so it made a huge puddle here in my office. Guess he misses his dogs and is just acting out like a little brat. He is now in Will's office climbing all over him and sinking his claws in. We will be so glad when he gets those front paws de-clawed. He sure misses his dogs. I have things to do today and I don't want to do them. I am up a couple pounds and in bummed, but it will pass for I do know how my system is such a yo yo when it comes to losing weight. Lose 3 up 2 type of a thing. A steady downward motion but all the while up and down but more down than up will surely get me to goal one day. I was bad at my tracking this past week so I really don't have a clear picture of what I really did. My excuse is that I don't yet have a new tracker but that won't hold water because I do have lots of tablets on which to write what I bite. So no excuse there. I need to cut some glass today. I am going to build a general store for the village and I can do all the soldering of the pieces but can't put the building together till I get the lighting aparatus to install on the inside back wall. That will work. Before the month is over I should receive my order for what I need. You Magnolias know how I love my coffee. I have a coffee press that makes excellent coffee and now they have come out with a travel mug that is a small version of a coffee press. It is from Missoula, Montana, the French Press Travel Mug, with a compartment in the bottom that conceals a special container that holds two or more cups worth of ground coffee. So I can replinish my mug throughout the day when traveling. I can always get hot water needed from stops along the way. I like coffee but only like "good" coffee. Only those who love their coffee would understand. I don't expect those of you who don't drink coffee, or aren't particular to what kind to drink, to be a bit interested in that new item I will be getting. However, rejoice with me for my new find.

DONNA FAYE So you are up also. We both did that this week but will do better next weigh day, hopefully. I am so glad for you that you get to see your doctor so soon and not have to wait a month or so. Maybe now you can get some answers to what avenue to take with this. I wonder why they still have Jack on that med if it isn't doing anything for him. It must be terrible to have the heat sweats like that.

JEAN That is a hoot about that lighted deer hung upside down. Tis the season for all kinds of fun things popping up like that. We are going out and about on Christmas Eve and view all the lights in the area. I love to see them and what talent and imagination folks have in doing their decorations. Sounds like the play and your caroling went well and you had a good time of it.

Time to go see about some lunch. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-12-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a gloomy day in my corner of the world, but "warm" at 45 degrees. The snow is melting and everything is sloppy wet. I was at church until almost 1 this afternoon. We had a $24,000+ deposit from individual contributions and then going into multiple accounts. I imagine the next two weeks will be not quite so big; there will just be 2 of us counting so it could take even longer.

"Gma" -- I will be anxious to learn what your gyn has to say about a plan of action for you. You will have the gain gone in no time along with a couple of friends. I don't bake or cook FF or SF because Bob likes the "real" deal, and claims he can tell the difference. I just got an email from Amazon saying one of the delayed toys has been shipped; it's from a company I've never heard of before so I hope it's what I ordered.

Maggie -- The travel mug sounds like a keeper for you. We could use some of your rain if you would care to share. You will have your small gain gone asap also, along with a friend or two. It's hard to lose this time of year when everything centers around food. I can just see Cecil getting into mischief while the dogs are gone.

I am subbing in a card club tonight. It won't be late as some of them are still working; they quit at 9, put their coats on, and head out. My group sits around, drinks coffee, and visits for a bit after we finish playing. I'm hoping tomorrow will be more "Christmas productive" around here although I do need to go get the gift shop money and make the deposit. The days are flying by too fast! Enjoy your evening!

Last edited by Jean; 12-12-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #6  

Good morning to you ladies. It is quite nice here again today though we are expecting a bunch of rain. It isn't very cold.

Well, got ready and showed up at the doctor and had looked at my appt sheet wrong and it is 1-12 so I have to wait another month to talk to the gyn about all this. {{{sigh}}} It is what it is I guess. I am going to try and finish up the house today though I started the day in pain. UGH! You get fed up with it after awhile that's for sure. I know have real compassion for people who have chronic pain. I don't know how they do it.

Jean: Jack says he can tell the difference too. I think it is all in their heads, frankly, for the most part anyway, but sometimes you just can't teach an old dog new tricks, can you? I have never had issues from companies that sell through Amazon and I have ordered from Amazon dozens of times. I think Amazon keeps a tight hold on who they "sponsor" so to speak. I am sure you will get the gift on time and in good shape. I was pleased I got the yarn yesterday and started the project last night and it is coming right along. My only problem is I have a skinned pinky and a calloused middle finger that is peeling and it causes problems knitting a bit. The yarn scrapes the pinky and it doesn't slide over the other finger very well and I have a specific way I hold my yarn and can't seem to change it so have to just deal with it until they heal up I guess. I can't believe it is Christmas time already and it won't be long and spring will be here again! Sounds like the card club you are subbing at isn't much fun if they don't visit.

Maggie: Cats have their own agenda, that's for sure. Fortune can be ornery when he wants to also. Sometimes I have to really get after him. Don't sweat the lbs, they will come off again. I knew when Jack did take out all weekend that I would gain, but it comes off me pretty quickly when I am back to normal so I am not worried about it at all. I didn't overeat just ate things I wouldn't normally since I was just too sick to cook.

Jack said he heard yesterday the judge is about to render a decision on whether the city has to give us our money back or not and reinstate his pay. It will be awhile though as whichever way it goes will appeal though the Tennessee appeal court goes through their appeals pretty quickly. The amount would pay the cruise off or pay a bunch of other vacation things like our new luggage, our passports and excursions and put money away, but we shall see I guess.

Well gals, I need to make myself some breakfast then get to doing the housework. Have a good Tuesday all. Faye
Old 12-13-2011, 10:08 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another gloomy morning in my corner of the world, but NO WIND nor, snow, rain, or sleet . . . yet. The weatherman says "it's" on the way. I need to pick up the gift shop money and make that deposit, return some make-up I ordered, and get to work on Christmas!

"Gma" -- Oh, that's too bad you have to wait until next month to see the gyn, but the days will fly by quickly. Can you use band aides on your sore fingers? I wore lots of them my last year in school, when my fingers cracked and peeled from eczema. I had some good cards last night and even made the iffy bids that I bid, thanks to good partners. These gals visit while they play cards, just don't linger after the last hand. We did play all 8 rounds so it was almost 10 when I got home; the gal I was subbing for is the one who likes to leave at 9 so she can go to bed. I hope the judge rules in your favor.

I'm off to run my errands! Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 12-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Chilly Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly 39 degree day here in the Heartland with rain predicted. I love the pitter patter of the rain on the roof. I am a happy camper for I have a new cook book. I love cookbooks. Last evening when Will was taking the records from his helping the indigent he went by where WW meets and picked up a new 3 month tracker for me to start in January. Also he bought me the newest WW cookbook intitled POWER FOODS COOKBOOK. You know what fun I will be having when I get off of here this day going through the book page by page. I am now armed with the latest so I can get a good start with my program in the new year which is fast approaching. I just noticed a few things knocked off my work table and lying on the floor. Nothing that would break or be ruined though by hitting the floor. Mr. Gato must have had some fun while I was still sleeping. It is very quiet in here right now. Will is gone and the animals are napping. I am going to thaw out some pork chops and cook them in the smoker today. I haven't yet used that appliance and am looking forward to doing that. Other things have come along and gotten in my way so to speak. My reading glasses are sliding down my nose so I best tighten the screw soon or they will fall on my keyboard. Can't you just see them in your minds eye slip slidding away ~ over the nose and down. Well the heater just came on and some neighborhood dogs are barking so there went the sounds of silence I was enjoying.

DONNA FAYE Oh that is too bad that your appointment is next month instead of today. But you have waited so long to have one that another month will go fast and you will get your answers. It will be great for you to finally know what can be done and go from there. Jean says band aids and I suggest your using New Skin which is liquid bandage and comes in a small spray can for large areas and a small bottle with a brush like nail polish for smaller areas. We keep both sizes on hand and have used it for years. It has an agent in it that helps heal the area. When you paint it on it makes a smooth shiney surface on your skin. Anyway if you have not tried it I think you would like it a lot. I sure hope that Jack does get that money really owed to him anyway. It will certainly come in handy now for you two in paying for your upcoming vacation. A type of "forced" savings.

JEAN So you did well and had a winning streek in cards if I read you correctly. It is so much more fun when one is winning. No wind? Enjoy the still while you have it. We are not having wind this day either but some fog which I could complain about. When I was a youngster and walked to school in the fog my hair got very curly and my sisters got straight. We always laughed about that. My natural curl loved that coastal moisture. Much later when married we moved to another state where the dry wind blew all the time I had straight hair. It blew and took my curls away with it.

JULYARIC You are very to jump right in and can tell us about yourself and your day and what is happening in your life if you want to join this group. We welcome anyone who wants in for we are not a closed society. After all you got your foot in the door so come right on in and get to know us also.

Everyone have a lovely day. I am off now to read my new cook book.

Last edited by Maggie; 12-13-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #9  

Good evening, ladies. We made it into the low 50s today.

My friends took me to applique yesterday and then bible study last night and today I'm pooped. I did do a load of laundry. I'm ready to sit back in my recliner with some ice on my knee and ankle after dinner and watch the BL finale.

Faye, we quilters get sore fingers and I've found the liquid bandage works well and doesn't wash off. Sorry your appointment isn't until January. I hope you feel better until then.

Jean, you don't need to share your weather with me! I have a rose blooming now.

Maggie, the kids sure are entertaining, aren't they. What fun! I saw a new WW slow cooker cookbook is coming out on Amazon. I like the Power Foods one a lot and will be trying some of the recipes when I'm back on my feet and can go to the grocery store.

And in closing, let me say there is poetic justice in the prize I won from my entry at Bella Fabrics - a pair of quilters flats that have a magnetic sole that picks up pins and needles dropped on the floor and a band of buttons on the toe. They are my size but who knows if I'll be able to wear them anytime soon. I chose pink so they would be more springy.

Have a great evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Default Back For A Bit

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I have had fun this day going through my new cookbook. Not much else got accomplished out of the ordinary. My plans for dinner went south once again for Will wanted to order pizza so I had a piece and counted the points. The menu I had planned for tonight got moved to Friday. Wednesday night is Colonel Cluck grilled chicken. Thursday night is spaghetti. Friday will be the baked chicken pieces and rice, etc I had planned for tonight. Saturday maybe I can do something in my new indoor smoker.

SUSAN Sounds like you had a very busy day yesterday. What a neat sounding pair of slippers to have for someone like you that does quilting. I had no idea that such a pair were made but it sure makes sense to me. I will keep a look out for that new book you mentioned. I have two WW slow cooker cook books Slow Good Super Slow-Cooker Cookbookand Slow Cook It. Do you know what the name of the new book is?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I have had fun this day going through my new cookbook. Not much else got accomplished out of the ordinary. My plans for dinner went south once again for Will wanted to order pizza so I had a piece and counted the points. The menu I had planned for tonight got moved to Friday. Wednesday night is Colonel Cluck grilled chicken. Thursday night is spaghetti. Friday will be the baked chicken pieces and rice, etc I had planned for tonight. Saturday maybe I can do something in my new indoor smoker.

SUSAN Sounds like you had a very busy day yesterday. What a neat sounding pair of slippers to have for someone like you that does quilting. I had no idea that such a pair were made but it sure makes sense to me. I will keep a look out for that new book you mentioned. I have two WW slow cooker cook books Slow Good Super Slow-Cooker Cookbookand Slow Cook It. Do you know what the name of the new book is?

Everyone have a lovely evening.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #12  

Maggie -- It started raining late this afternoon but the temperature has hung around 40 so it isn't freezing, yet anyhow. I know you will get much enjoyment out of browsing through and fixing from your new cookbook! It's a good thing you are flexible when Will decides to change your menu plans.

Susan -- I'm glad you enjoyed your outing yesterday! Just be careful and don't do too much. Are you trying to work also? I have never heard of quilters flats! They sound like a wonderful item for anyone who might sew! I know you will enjoy wearing them when you are able.

I hear the dryer buzzing so folding towels is my last chore for tonight! Then I'm heading off to bed. Tomorrow is nails, lunch bunch, and bell practice.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #13  

Good morning to you girls! It is nice and mild here this morning. Supposed to get up near 70 today. It can stay that way if it likes!

I got the downstairs done so now will work on my knitting project and try and get it done and maybe a bit of reading today. I have 3 new Ibooks from the library and they are all pretty good. The only thing about one of them is it is a series I read and this is the newest one, but there are 3 inbetween this one and the last one and the library doesn't carry any of them, grrrrr! I don't want to have to pay for them to read them so will just watch and read them when they come out, out of order I guess.

I haven't heard back from my dd after she emailed be about finding out the prices at the buffet at the casino for Christmas Eve dinner. Jack always pays for dinner and I told her the info I could find out, the people that work there don't even know their own information though. I told her dad would be paying for all of us, but haven't heard back if they want to eat there or somewhere else. It seems funny everyone else is gearing up for Christmas and Jack and I are done. Until I can rearrange this house, I am not putting up decorations year to year as there is no where to put a tree now. Those little table ones just don't do it for me, so I will wait until we work on the house and then we will have space. No one visits here and no one can see it from the street anyway so it doesn't bother me much not to drag the stuff all out.

Maggie: Sounds like you enjoyed looking through your new cookbook. I have found the pizza places to be a little wanting here so we don't have pizza very often. There is this little whole in the wall place in Indiana, I mean it is small and take out only called Rossinis. He makes the best pizza I have ever had in my life. It is spectacular. He is only open from like 5-10 pm though so it is only for dinner meals but it is well worth it and it isn't expensive. I would imagine it isn't exactly calorie friendly though.

Jean: Hope your day worked out and you got everything accomplished. You sure do seem to be a whole lot busier than when you taught school. Bob and Jack would get along famously. Jack swears you can taste lower cal foods, which is all in his head because I have made stuff and cut calories and he can't tell the difference as long as I don't tell him. Is Bob done with farming for a while now? I don't remember whether they do winter stuff up there or not. There are bare fields here until spring.

Susan: I had a grin about your winning shoes with your situation. I bet they are really cool though. I have never heard of such a thing though I would imagine they are a wonderful idea. Are you reading anything interesting? I am reading a book called The Birthday Present, one in a JP Beaumont character series called Betrayal of Trust and Judith McNaught book called Every Breath You Take. So far, all three are winners. Do you have small lap projects you can work on while you are recuperating???

I see it is almost 6:30 so I guess I should get out of here, get the laundry in the dryer and get the dishwasher unloaded then get some breakfast in me. Have a beautiful day today and be good so Santa will visit you! Faye
Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #14  

Good morning ladies! 48 degrees and sunny here.

Nothing happening today so I'll be paying bills and getting my Christmas cards finished. My friend gave me a container of soup mix (and a banana bread, sigh) and I've got it cooking now. It sure smells good. That will be lunch.

The shoes were actually invented by the owner of Bella Fabrics and she has patented them. They are made in Italy.

Maggie, when I went back to Amazon the check the name, I found I got it wrong about it being only slow cooker. It called Weight Watchers One Pot Cookbook. It will be out 12/20, lists for $29.95 but is $19.58on Amazon on pre-order. I did place my order. I love one pot meals.

Jean, I hope you have a fun day today! Lots going on as always.

Faye, I don't really decorate for Christmas since Stan died. He was like a kid at Christmas and couldn't wait until he could put up the tree. He was abused as a child and Christmas was just another day. So far 4 friends have given me ornaments this year so I hung them from the banister of the stairs. They are all lovely and made by them. I do have my applique and English paper piecing I can work on but you can only do so much and then you are sick of that, too. I've taken 2 days off so I'm ready to go back to it today. Right now I'm reading "Chesapeake" by James Mitchner. It's old but good. I always loved his books because you get a good dose of history with the story.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #15  

Good Morning, Flowers! It continues to rain and is a "warm" 41 degrees this morning. I've been to get my nails done and opted for bright red polish which I never wear. I hope they last until Christmas. I stopped at the grocery store on my way home. Next is lunch bunch, and then either the Christmas tree (I'm out of the decorating mood) or cards. I did get the first round done last night and Bob mailed them for me.

"Gma" -- I'd hate to admit how many books I've read out of order. It's strange the library wouldn't have the whole series that you are reading. Bob just bought tractor #5! It has been redone, painted, etc., etc., and "just the one he has been looking for!" It's in IL so I'm not just sure when he will get it. I was hoping for Christmas so I could put a big red bow on it and have him park it in the driveway. He has promised to sell his least favorite tractor asap. In answer to your question, he is done farming for the winter. He did some field work for a customer; not sure why the guy didn't do it himself but Bob enjoyed doing it. Since the snow is gone our country fields are pretty dingy looking.

Susan -- Potato soup sounds good on this rainy morning. The banana bread sounds inviting too! I'm going to take a look at the new WW cookbook on Amazon. They always send me lots of emails for stuff after I've ordered toys! I'll bet your Christmas ornaments are beautiful. It's always nice to get things made by a friend.

I need to change clothes and get going. Enjoy your day!