IF (Intermittent Fasting) Support Group Part II

You're on Page 2 of 20
Go to
  • Thank you KTucke7, That really helped and it makes sense.
  • Haha.. I do understand how it works. I know it all comes down to calories in and calories out - that you could should you really want to, eat doughnuts and twinkies all day and lose weight if you keep within calories.

My reason for wanting to use IF to HELP me lose weight (not magically make me lose weight) is that if I eat throughout the day, I will definitely overeat - and I will feel near constant hunger no matter how much I eat - not to mention, stopping to eat takes away precious time (=$$) from my work day :P . IF is the only way Ive found that keeps hunger at bay through the day. Also, I want to keep my window as short as possible as I like to go to bed on a full stomach and the smaller my window the easier it is to control my hunger and appetite and keep my calorie intake lower.

That said, I dont want to be underperforming at work where the faster and harder I go, the more money I make. I do not work on hourly or on salary, I get paid based on my performance and speed. I thought BCAAs might be an alternative to eating near the end of my work day to keep my energy up but my appetite and hunger down, especially considering the physical intensity. Like I said I prefer to eat later in the evening, it works for me socially and mentally and fits in perfectly with my lifestyle, except for the last 1-2 hour stretch the end of the work day. If I adopt a longer eating window, it will be much harder to control things. I am currently on 18/6 window, give or take here and there.
  • @deucesarewild I drink green tea all day at work. Seems to help with alertness and with appetite control too. On the other hand, BCAA's won't hurt you and might be worth a try if you need something and can't fit eating into your schedule. Drawback to BCAA's would be cost for me.
  • BCAAs won't help with energy levels. Green tea is a decent idea and worth a try but if it works it will work because of the caffeine.

I know that caffeine would work but it's a slippery slope because sooner or later your body will adjust to the dose and you'll have to up it to get the same effect.

How long have you been IFing? It could be that your body just needs to adjust to using fat as it's primary source of fuel during the fast.
  • Quote: BCAAs won't help with energy levels. Green tea is a decent idea and worth a try but if it works it will work because of the caffeine.

I know that caffeine would work but it's a slippery slope because sooner or later your body will adjust to the dose and you'll have to up it to get the same effect.

How long have you been IFing? It could be that your body just needs to adjust to using fat as it's primary source of fuel during the fast.
    I do drink a lot of coffee

I have been IFing only days this time but I have done it in the past, but then I didnt have this job either. Im sure I will adjust in time, and my question was aimed at getting me through the next month, maybe two. I may throw in an apple in the first couple weeks and wean off. Caffeine alone hasnt been cutting it in those last hours.

Even if I did end up having to have an apple a day before my break-fast it would not make IFing the rest of the time an unworthy cause. Im sure in some time Id be able to remove it completely.

Thanks!
  • Hello, I'm starting IF again. I like not eating all day. When I was on a diet, I would have 5 to 6 small meals a day. It takes money and time to prepare meals. I like the 5 hour window for eating. This time I will watch my portion size. In my fasting time, I would drink oblong tea and water with lemon juice. Today is my first day back on IF. Thank you for starting the new thread.
  • I have a question...

When you are fasting what things do you intake that you enjoy?
    ( Looking for some alternatives to water, tea, coffee...)

I have such a huge variety of tea's mostly green teas. I enjoy them, but would like to find some other things that others would suggest and stay on Fasting protocol.

Best ideas win a prize... well I don't have a prize but you'll be a winner just for coming up with any good ideas that we can all share!
  • I do cold tea as well as hot and make cold brewed iced coffee and mix different types of tea, try a fruit mixed with green or white or oolong or an herbal sweet tea gosh there are so many teas out there that you could never get bored with all the combinations - club soda w/ lime or lemon juice is one of my favourite drinks and some evenings I'll add vodka to that soda.

I'm not an artificial sweetener fan but there are a lot of drink mixes with them and diet soda - but BLECH imo.
  • Just curious, I usually eat 1-2 regular meals and then have a few healthy snacks such as nuts when I am in my eating window. I'll even graze on protein if I feel hungry.

I notice I am not eating as much, which is a very good thing. I do believe I am getting enough food and nutrition.

Just curious what works for others during your eating times.
  • Thank you for your input KTucke7! I like his blog but sometimes all the terminology gets confusing.
  • Quote: Thank you for your input KTucke7! I like his blog but sometimes all the terminology gets confusing.
    Any questions just ask. I'm somewhat certain I can answer most of them.
  • Ok, since I am new to IF, I have been strict with my times and it works for me.

I am having great results and never felt better.

It is interesting how a few people, including well intentioned family members are trying to get me to eat outside my time window.

I felt so upset and didn't even want to go to eat with them after the told me to loosen up and eat later. Anyone else have people you care about that just don't get it and try to get you off the plan? Does it make you feel a bit upset when people do that?

Just curious and venting a bit.

Thanks.
  • Hey IFers!

I have asked this question before- and so have others- but want to confirm what I think is the answer....

I lift 2x a week. My 8-10 RM range is bench around 52 lbs, squat around 66 lbs, etc. I don't know my 1 RM- the weights in the gym I use aren't heavy enough. I think this is considered moderate for women?

From what I understand, this is not heavy enough to require protein within a few hours of lifting correct? I can lift around 8-9 AM and not open my window until 1 or 2 PM, without detriment to my muscles?

Thanks!
  • Hey guys.. I started doing this and Tuesday was my first day. I feel great and I think this is something that I can stick to. I have a question regarding times. I like the 3-8 window because I dont think I can hold off anymore than 3pm but I usually get off of work and hit the gym or the running trails. That will usually get me home around 8. So in reality I have a 6 hour window.... that sound ok?

Also.. is it a good idea to have one day be an off day? Like eat three meals?

thanks!
  • I would avoid an off day personally. Your body really gets used to the fast/feast schedule and eating "normally" one day would probably throw you off for a few days and you wont be able to fully adjust to the IF lifestyle.

That said, today I did have to eat during the day as the painkillers I had to take would make me sick to my stomach without eating, and there are some social events where you have to / want to eat - go for it. It sure wont sabotage all of your hard work, but I wouldn't personally go out of my way to have a 3 meals over 16 hours day every week.