Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #16  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

It's me! I swear to y'all I have come in here with the good intentions of posting but then the phone rings, or there is a list of errands that seem endless so when I return I'm just plain ol' tired. Since my absence I've been to Va. Beach and I'll be going again soon. Grandkids have been over. We had a cookout yesterday because Wayne had to work today...and it seems he's working a little overtime because he usually calls me on his way home and he has not. Life has been good. Here's the update on the Dads...and myself:

My Dad: He's getting frailer. I feel like I could literally hug him to death. His arthritis hurts him. The tremors from his Parkinson's is getting a little worse. His feet tremor now and he's not so sure on his feet. I'm so grateful for my brother living next door.

Marvin, my father-in-law: He looked great! He's got a bad case of cabin fever. Tomorrow he goes to see the surgeon about his leg. A good family friend is taking him. I am grateful for her also.

Me: Well. I thought I was out of the woods since I had not heard from my family doctor. He phoned me late Friday afternoon--he had just received the results from the heart monitor I had to wear. I felt nothing while wearing it and I was supposed to write down episodes when they happened--what I was doing and the time of day. Nothing. I felt nothing. Well...the monitor says otherwise. I have a slow heart beat and then I have bursts of rapid heart beat. Needless to say more testing is in my future. I go back to the doctor next week.

Yesterday, we had our Memorial Day cookout since Wayne worked today. It was fun. Loud. But fun. I love my kids and grandkids. Yeah...I tolerate my sons-in-law. Kidding. Not true! I care for them also!

I know y'all have been doing stuff and I need to read. *sigh* I need to catch up but I wanted to post before y'all think I went and left y'all again!

I'll be back.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:08 AM   #17  

Good morning all. We are in a cooker here. It only got to about 80 degrees last night and the house is still hot. The ac just cannot keep up with this heat and with having a 2 story it doesn't help. We are going to have to consider a bigger unit being put in I guess, but we are going to have to deal with it as it for now hot or not. We are supposed to be near 100 degrees by the end of the week.

We cleaned the grill plates which was a mess and I will finish the broiler pan today along with getting floors mopped downstairs, putting away laundry and stuff like that. It is too hot to do much else. I don't think a major amount of housecleaning is going to get done for awhile if the house is hot. Ahh well, it will be there when it gets a bit cooler and will get done when it gets done I guess.

We had a nice quiet Memorial Day. Jack grilled a couple steaks with baked potatoes and I too a bit of olive oil, garlic and some of that powdered parmesan cheese and marinated some asparagus in it then he grilled it. It was quite delicious actually and I am not a big asparagus fan. Nothing like steaks on the grill either and he did a great job so we had a nice lunch.

I will put the other sock on needles today and get it done. I am hoping by the end of the week that my yarn will be here to finish the scarf so that is done and I can wash and block everything. Lots of projects to finish by the end of the year for gifts as usual. I don't know how people who sell their stuff ever get enough done to sell

Gail: I am sorry your dad is not doing well. Can he not apply to get a scooter through medicare so he is a bit more mobile if he is having trouble walking and what about you fil can't he get one too? Sorry Wayne had to work the holiday. Don't panic too much about the heart thing yet. If you are a big caffeine drinker it can cause your symptoms and would certainly register on your monitor. I always say don't look for trouble just meet it as it comes. Prayers going out to you about it that it doesn't cause you more stress than you already have.

Maggie: Fortune has one and only one think he plays with. I kept this basket of dog toys for years and just a couple months ago threw them all out because he never played with them. He has this fleece elephant I bought at Petsmart when we got him from the breeders. It is the only thing he plays with or loves on. We call it "baby" and he will walk around the house looking for his baby. I have had to replace it numerous times because he will chew on the trunk, etc. I had to start cutting off the tail and other stuff because he would chew on the yarn and barf. I bet Beanie is a real character he sounds like it anyway. When I picked Fortune up from the vet a lady was picking up her ShihTzu who was just gorgeous, a cream and tan color combo. The dog had gotten a thorn between it's paw and it worked its way completely into the dog's foot. He was it this little green cast on one foot and I told the dog he could have all his doggy friends put their paw prints on his cast (of course all his dog friend's would have to be Chihuahua's for a print to fit! )

Jean: We quit going to Sam's several years ago. Seems like we don't need giant economy sized stuff and their prices are not competitive enough to pay the fee imo. Hope Bob was able to fix your fan. I am not happy about the ac and will talk to Jack about whether he thinks we ought to get Jimmy back out here, but we can't afford another big ac bill right now. We shall see. The unit is working perfectly as far as running it just isn't putting out cool air and he completely filled it with freon when he was here.

Well gals, Jack is up and getting ready for work so I should get out of here. Have a good start to the week (sort of.) Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #18  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Good morning everyone! Happy Tuesday. It's supposed to reach 90 here and its already humid. Needless to say the ac is on and will probably remain on until the end of September. I'm so thankful that we were able to install a new ac/heating system in the house a few months ago. I can tell the difference between the old and the new system.

Donna Faye, I agree with you about my heart--I'm just taking it as it comes and I've got an appointment set with my doctor. If he thought it was a huge issue he would have had me reset an appointment to see him this week. My appointment is on the 9th. I have approached my Dad with the possibility of a scooter. He says absolutely not. My brother has tried talking to him about it. He's adamant. Its not a money issue. Dad is frustrating. Now my father-in-law, Marvin--he will be fine once his leg mends 100% although he will have to be careful. He sees his surgeon today so I'm looking forward to finding out how that went tonight when Wayne phones him. I'll see both men this weekend. And again, I agree with you, people who sell their knitted goods how do they ever knit enough to sell?! I'm an extremely slow knitter. (I know I need to start posting pictures of my projects like you do.) Right now, on the needles are: a lace scarf in Miss Babs heathered green (fingering weight); two pairs of socks in the works (one pair in KnitPicks Imagination "Lost Boys" colorway and the other one in some expensive yarn I bought 3 or 4 years ago that I can't remember who is the maker or colorway but is a pretty varigated colorway in burgundies to pinks), and a dish cloth (of course). I have to go to the bank this morning so I think I'll make a pit stop at my local yarn shop just "to see" if they have anything that catches my eye. ...just what I need...more yarn!

....later...today I'll peek back inside to see if anyone came in to visit...
Old 05-31-2011, 12:23 PM   #19  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining, a lot less wind blowing than yesterday, and much cooler w/o the humidity. I've been to church and balanced, then stopped at the grocery store which was slim pickin's for anything fresh since they are closed on Sundays and holidays. My plan, for this afternoon, is to try on some forgotten clothes and either give them away or make myself wear them.

Gail -- I'm sorry to hear about your dad. It's so hard to watch a loved one go downhill. It sounds like he still has some spunk left though. Marvin sounds like a real go-getter! It will be interesting to find out what your doctor has to say about the heart monitor results. It was nice your family could all be together on Sunday. It sure is quiet when they go home if your house is like mine.

"Gma" -- We had a quiet Memorial Day also. I'm really good at putzing time away when there is nothing on the calendar that I need to attend to. I keep Ernie's toys in the lid of a paper box; he has a scratching box right beside it as well as a ball toy in a plastic circle and scratching center. If anyone touches his toy box, and he hears the toys move, he comes flying out from wherever he is to make sure everything is still there. He's like a little kid. Bob said the roof fan motor is shot; he didn't think it worked last summer but never checked assuming we just didn't notice it running. We can tell a difference in the bedrooms when it does run on hot days. So he is going to see if he can get a new motor rather than a whole new fan which would mean going up the roof and starting from scratch. Perhaps your air conditioner is leaking freon too fast for it to do any good in cooling down your entire place. That is what happened to our old one, and I know they don't use freon any more.

I need to get the leftovers out for lunch, then get busy on my chore list. Enjoy your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:50 PM   #20  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is goona be a warm one here in the Heartland. It is in the 70's as I type and expected to be in the high 80's before this day is over. The wind blew yesterday like gang busters. We had to take down our two new bamboo what-ya-callets yesterday so they wouldn't get all beat up. AKA:wind chimes. They sure make a nice sound when the breeze is blowing but not in the gale type winds. The dogs are at the groomer today and they sure needed it. They had to go three weeks without baths and haircuts since their groomer was out of town. They really need to go every two weeks. I was not too happy with the neighbor boy this morning. He came knocking at the front door at 6:30 am and wanted to use Wills phone to call his mother who ws at work. He locked up the house and went out to get on his bike to go to the college where they were picking up the kids for camp. Someone had stolen his bike during the night. Not that we minded helping him out but the dogs got all happy to see him and none of us could get back to sleep after we helped him out. Probably those same guys that the mother had chased off came back. I'm just guessing. I bet he will take his new one, when he gets one, inside the house at night. That is horrible to steel a kids bike. Or wheelchair. There have been a rash of wheelchairs being stolen for the metal but not in this town. I ended up doing the steaks yesterday inside since it was so windy. The meal was delicious and the dogs loved my left-overs.

DONNA FAYE You may just have to spring for a bigger air conditioner next year. Those are spendy things aren't they. But we have to have air. What did they do in the olden days without air. No wonder they had their kitchens separate from the main house so as not to heat the house up.

GAIL It is good you are keeping a watch on the old folks. That is about all you can do for they are so independent. One day your dad will want a scooter when he absolutely can't get around on his own with any ease. The time will come and he will think it was his idea. Waynes dad is a corker. Reminds me of that pink rabbit ~ never stops. You have a good attitude with what ever it is that is going on with your heart rate. They can adjust those things nowdays.

JEAN I can just see you now trying on clothes and sorting them. I did that years back when we downsized and know what a chore it really is. Right now I don't have anything that doesn't fit and I don't wear. It is a process that changes with the amount of storage space one has. Hopefully you can get your air fixed easily enough. Gotta have air. Mine is on now and the ceiling fans are whirring. Turn used to put his own toys in his basket I gave him for them. He would play with whatever then put it up and get something else. What a cat. Yep, cats are very possessive of "their" stuff. Ragg Mopp and Beanie don't care ~ they have their toys strewn all over the place. They sure want to play with whatever it is that I have picked up in my pick up stick when I am gathering them all up. What ever one I have they want.

SUSAN Back now from your stay at the cabin? I imagine you had a wonderful time being there.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #21  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

I'm just about done with running errands today. I need to go to the cleaners and pick up Wayne's khakis (he likes them dry cleaned) but can't get until 3pm when they're scheduled to be ready. Y'all are not going to believe this but Wayne has a job interview tomorrow at 5pm! The first time the man phoned (about 4 weeks ago) Wayne told him no thank you; he had accepted a job but last week the man called him again wondering if he was happy where he's at!?! We figured...well, why not! One never knows these days. Crazy. (Also Wayne heard that the company he's with now is in Chapter 11.)

Jean, my Dad's spunk has got up and left town. Dad made the comment last week anyone at age 70 should be shot. (Can we say...depression?) I responded and told him I plan on living past 70 (and no, I didn't tell him about my heart). And yep, I've spoken with him about his depression and he swears he told his doctor. (Frankly, I don't believe him. My brother takes him to the doctor but Dad won't allow him to go inside the examining room....oh, don't get me started!) All my father-in-law (Marvin) is concerned with is getting back onto the dance floor. Yes, I am very grateful my father-in-law is not sitting around waiting to die like my Dad. I can write a book! Mom told me before she passed that I was going to have a problem with Daddy. And she apologized to me!!! And yeah, during fit of frustration with my Dad (back when Mom was in the hospital I told him...and no, it didn't faze him a bit). You've got that right--my house "rocks and rolls" when everyone is here and when they all leave...Wayne and I just take a bit...and one of us will say to the other "Do you hear that? Silence."

Maggie, you know stealin' a kid's bike is just plain awful. And I can't see how anyone can sleep at night stealing someone's wheel chair! That always makes the news here in my area--wheel chair theft. Now...watching out for the old folks...one is easy to keep track of but the other one...wow...we never know what he's up to...and I bet you can guess which one each is! I don't know what it is about Dad and a scooter! I told him if I ever need one I want a bright red sparkly one with a license plate on the front that says "Get outta my way!" and on the back I want a license plate that reads "Sorry...I knocked you down!" I've told Dad life is what you make it. Quite frankly, he hates living and can't wait to die. He's told me so. I tell him God is not through with him yet. He says he talks to God all the time and He knows he's ready to go. Does this get to me? Yes. I've told Lee that I want to know when our Dad's next doctor's visit; I want to go!

I'm really in good spirits. I know y'all can't tell by my posts...but I really am. I am a happy person! I just wish my Dad could find joy in something.

Last edited by GailR; 05-31-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #22  

Maggie -- The temperature is hanging right at 70, but the humidity is going down, and the wind is picking up. Crazy weather all around these days. That is too bad about the neighbor boy's bike being stolen. I imagine it was taken by the same kids who were hanging around and chased off before. We have reports of stolen bikes in the paper all the time. Even though it is an imposition, it's nice that he feels comfortable coming to your house for help. I can't imagine anyone low enough to steal a wheelchair.

Gail -- Maybe the job interview will lead Wayne to a better job than the one he has now. He is wise to check it out. A lot of overtime hours would get old quick imo. I just figured since your dad wouldn't consider a scooter he had enough spunk left to fight it. It's too bad when a person just gives up and wants to die; there's not much one can do to change that mind set. I feel for you; dealing with elderly parents is like having a 2 year old all over again!

Last edited by Jean; 05-31-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #23  
Thin Within

Talking Back To Yack

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Just got back from getting a hair cut. Finally got all the red cut off and am going to color it what must of my hair is ~ light brown. Coloring it gives it more body and makes it look like I have more hair than I do. The coctail of meds I have taken for years have done a number on my hair so I have to do what I can to make it look like more than I have short of wearing a wig. Our hair dresser got a new dog, baby pomeranean. Cutest little ball of black fuzz. Just brought it back from CO. Anyway I got to hold it and play with it while Will got his hair done and he did the same when I had mine done. It is just so cute. Bouncy little black ball of fuzz.

JEAN It is 6 pm and 80 as I type. Just a bit breezy and beautiful day. I wonder what the story is next door for the dog catcher is over there. Their dogs get out of their back yard on occasion and maybe he brought one home or picked one up. Who knows. They have big outside german shephard type dogs. Those kids could have stollen the bike out of the garage for it is outside the fence. There is a tall wooden fence along the other side of the garage that runs up to the house. The garage and the part of the house with the back door are on this side of the tall fence and there is a short chainlink fence that runs along their drive up to the corner of our house. It is probably our fence since it continues from our back yard. Anyway if their garage was open those boys could have availed themselves to that bike.

GAIL I think it is a grand idea that you get to have a talk with your dads doctor. Do what you can for the situation. Is there anyplace that your dad would be interesting in doing some volunteer work? There are several places around here that let seniors volunteer and they are a great help. Will works with some at the museum and loves picking their brains. Just a thought for it would make him feel worthwhile and wanted with a shcedule. I realize you can't make him do anything but a few suggestions to peek the interest...

Time has come for me to go make dinner. Type at y'all later.

All y'all have a lovely evening.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #24  

Good evening, ladies! A hot day, but at least it's not humid.

I had a wonderful weekend at the beach. The water wasn't warm enough for swimming, for me anyway but we walked on the beach and sat under the umbrella and worked on our quilting until we got hot, then we went in and cooled off.

I finally decided to turn my AC on when I got home - and it promptly died. The AC man will be here tomorrow between 3 and 5. It's not too bad since I have all the ceiling fans going and it gets in the low 70s at night so I opened the windows last night. I just know it's going to have to be replaced. It's old.

Gail, I'm so sorry your dad is so stubborn. Could you call the doctor and alert him to your dad's depression? I have it and the medication has made a huge difference. I'll keep you in my prayers regarding your heart problem and Wayne's job prospect.

Faye, get the AC replaced before it dies! I don't mind the heat nearly as much as you and Jack.

Jean, I'm not for keeping clothes that are too big and now I'm finding that those that were too small, even the pants, are out of style and I won't wear them so they have gone to the Disabled American Veterans Thrift Shop where someone else may buy them. Even my underwear has gotten too big so I just bought all new. Bras are taking a little longer to get replaced because they are so expensive.

Maggie, my grandma used to say of some people that "they would steal the pennies off a dead man's eyes." Poor kid, losing his bike. Anyone caught stealing a wheelchair should be shot on the spot.

Have a great evening - maybe I'll lose a few pounds with the heat!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM   #25  

Maggie -- Bob's secretary has two pomeranians; they have such cute little faces. One is pretty laid back but the younger one has enough bouncy energy for both. My hairdresser had a cat who liked to visit in her shop; he would try to lie underneath the dryer hood but he was so big he would fall off as soon as he got settled in. It's a cool 64 degrees right now and the wind has finally given up. The weatherman says high 8os and low 90s for the next few days.

Susan -- I'm so glad you enjoyed your weekend at the beach, even if the water was too cold for swimming. I hope your air conditioner can be replaced in short order and/or the weather stays cooler for you. I need to buy some new bras and just hate to even start looking. There used to be an "older" woman in that department, in a Sioux City store, but I haven't seen her the last few times I've been in there. I'd like "help" and don't think the younger gals would have a clue.

Beth called on her way home from work tonight. She travels the interstate along the Missouri River which is being flooded by letting dams release excess water further up the river. They will start on Thursday, add more on Friday, and the most will come on Saturday and the days following. Huge fancy homes are being evacuated and the people are advised to remove everything. The prediction is the river will be over flood stage for at least 2 months. The river isn't that far from downtown and there is talk of even closing the interstate itself. The area where she works is having the electricity shut off on Thursday, but she isn't sure if that will affect her business since it is on the opposite side of the interstate. There is a constant plea for help sandbagging and big machines are trying to build dirt levees. I just wonder what will happen down south when the Missouri water hits the Mississippi. I don't think it will be pretty.

I'm heading for the news and then bed. See you tomorrow!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #26  

GO TO #26
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote