Steel Magnolias #22

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Good morning everybody! Another hot day ahead hear, near 90 and sunny so at least it isn't depressingly cloudy and rainy, though that is coming again in a couple days. We are hanging in there though they are now saying it may be awhile before the river goes back down to normal levels, which means Jack will keep working these horrendous hours. Poor guy came home this morning saying the trouble had started keeping up with stuff out there last night so his knees were killing him from being in and out and in and out of the truck a lot, lots of walking etc. He has been upstairs for about an hour so I am sure he is sound asleep. I told him not to even get up until around today as we are having rice and salmon and it is a quick fix.

I am going to say I have lost 10 lbs, it is actually more than that, but because of the heat my feet and legs are swelling again retaining water so when that rights itself I will show another loss I imagine. One thing, we sure don't eat out, there is no time so that isn't a worry though we try to stay as close as we can to program friendly foods. Jack and I are trying as hard as we can to cut out heavy desserts of all kinds. The most we have is either Skinny Cow or WW ice cream treats for dessert in the evening.

Gail: Hey, I don't blame you! In this day and age, people think if you have a black eye that somebody beat you up. Yes, they will think what they will, but frankly if it makes you uncomfortable, then stay home until most or all of it is gone. It is sort of like the Lucy episode where Ricky accidently hits her in the eye with a book. Fred and Ethel wouldn't believe them until they told them a juicy story about what happened. That's what folks are like, they want juicy gossip about people. I have seen some absolutely gorgeous hand dyed fingering yarn for $75 a hank so I know the stuff can be really expensive. I keep most of my yarn buying purchases in the mid range. I don't buy the cheap stuff like coats and clarks, but unless it is very, very special, I wouldn't buy the really expensive stuff either. I mean, $75 for a pair of socks, You may not be diabetic, but you could be hypoglycemic, they don't always go along together. I have more problems when my hormones bottom out. I have blood tests all the time for glucose as my mom, brother, sister, nephew are all diabetic. I have great blood sugar levels so I know that when my knees start shaking and such my hormones are on a rampage and the best thing to do is just sit and try to calmly rest until it passes, which it does. My daughter started buying me stuff from Knitpicks for mother's day several years ago so I have a full set of the harmony circs plus she bought me a whole set of the nickel circs and she bought me a whole set of the nickel dpn's. I have all the dpn bamboo needles too, but I do so much better with the nickel. The stitches just slide right off. I think people who knit very loosely should use the bamboo though. I love the Knitpicks products. I haven't bought one yet I didn't like. Kelly bought me the Options circ binder case, which I love as it holds a whole set of circ needles and cables, which I love. She bought me a ball winder for mother's day last year, but I found out you have to have a swift for the thing to work well and I just don't want to fork out nearly $60 for one.

Maggie: Will should be here, I doubt wading pools are very popular at the moment so there should be bunches! I am concerned now with our water supply and mosquitos. All this water is going to start a bumper crop of mosquitos, which means the possibility of West Nile again. It is always something.

Susan: That quilt is gorgeous and you are right, perfect for your area. I think the big concern is still the rivers up north dumping more water into the MS, which could mean the river rising even more in a week or so. They just don't know and any heavy rains up north will cause problems too.

Jean: I have to just say hi to you today. Fortune is barking to go out and won't stop so I have to get out of here before he wakes up Jack.

Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining after a couple of rain showers. Lots of thunder during the night which woke me up. We set another heat record at 96 yesterday. Today is much cooler, like spring should be, and is supposed to stay that way for the next few days. I've been to get my nails done, have a load in the dryer, and have lunch bunch at noon.

Gail -- I do know how to knit and purl so I can make anything that is square or rectangular. I just can't follow a pattern and have never taken the time to read a "how to do it" book. That's the way I crochet too. We have llamas up here and they are becoming more frequent on farms. We even have an alligator farm, but it is on the "qt." The farmer gets rid of his dead pigs by feeding them to the alligators. When the alligators get so big he sells them to a company for shoes, purses, and whatever else they make. Knitpicks sounds like a fun place to shop.

"Gma" -- on losing 10+#s! I'm so glad you don't have to worry about the flood water but it is too bad Jack is having to deal with it. I got an email, and Bob said a farmer had also mentioned this, about spraying Listerine to get rid of yard bugs and mosquitoes. We're definitely going to try that at the lake this summer.

I need to change clothes and get ready to leave for lunch. Hope you all are busy having a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Wonderful Wednesday
    GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is raining. Of all things it is raining here in the Heartland. The show and tell event at the local museum was cut short because of it. Will said about 400 kids 3rd through 5th or 6th grade got to go through before it was closed down because of the rain. There were a lot of hands on old time way of doing things which was neat. Old corn shuckers, top makers, doll makers, bow stringers etc. and Will a saddle maker. One boy asked Will where his gun was because he had a holster there he had made and Will told him in was in a safe place. The kid asked Will why he didn't bring it and Will told him because of kids like him. The kid laughed and said he sounded just like his dad. The kids really liked learning, kind of, the 8 strand braiding. A lot of the old timers had to make their own belts and suspenders. They "tried" to learn anyway. One of the teachers is going to have Will fix an expensive purse she has. We are said to get some really rain this day. We sure need it. Our garden will love it as long as we don't get any hail. They are having cake and ice cream after bible study this evening and I think I will just drink my coffee. That is my plan for I do want to go to the party for the grads tonight.

DONNA FAYE That is a chunk to lose! you are shrinking. Feels good to go in the right direction doesn't it. The news isn't good for the flooding around your town. Other waters are due to be there. Yep the mosquitoes eggs can last up to 7 years waiting for the river water to rise. You definitely will have a bumper crop of the little critters. Spray with Listerine ~ at least they will have fresh breath. But seriously do put some in a sprayer. You sure have a lot of knitting needles. I haven't knitted in so long I didn't realize the wonderful progress in making them existed. I had better upgrade my needles before winter time comes around. Of all places Will found a wading pool at the dollar store.

JEAN Will loves his new washer and dryer. Have fun with the lunch bunch today. What are you having to eat this day? I bet that farmer sells a lot of his alligators to Texas where they make some beautiful boots. Alligator tans up so nicely. We are all going to go around this summer smelling like mouth wash.

GAIL Sweetie don't be worrying about what it may be until the test results are all in. Then you can deal with it face to face and get it corrected. I got the results from my tests yesterday and I am a couple points low in the sodium departmant. Sodium of all things. I do try to not eat a lot of salt and take a bp pill with a diretic included in it. Aren't we supposed to cut back on salt? But why when a person goes to the hospital do they they hook them up to a sodium drip? Me thinks maybe the salt isn't the culprit after all. I will talk this out with my doc when I go on the 19th ~ next Monday.

SUSAN Howdy to you also this day.

I need to think about getting some lunch. It is just a tad after 1 o'clock and I am getting a bit hungry. Type at y'all later.

• Recipe

Good afternoon Magnolias.

I have decided what I am going to fix for dinner this day and decided to share the recipe because it is so scrumptions.

CAJUN CHICKEN SALAD
    Serves: 2 ~ POINTS PLUS = 8
    DRESSING:
    1 Tablespoon cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon to 2 Cajun seasoning
    2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

SALAD:
    4½ Ounces frozen diced cooked chicken breast, thawed
    ½ Cup cold cooked rice
    ½ Cup diced celery
    3 medium green onions, chopped
    ½ Cup diced tomato

DIRECTIONS:
    In a small bowl, combine vinegar & Cajun seasoning
    Mix well with wire whisk
    Gradually beat in oil until well blended
    Add salad ingredients
    Toss to coat
    Serve immediately over lettuce leaves
    Or cover and refrigerate until serving time

We like it and I thought maybe some of you might also.
  • It's Thursday morning. The sun is shining and birds are chirping. It's a happy day! I need to go to the grocery store and I have to toughen up and go. Wayne would have gone for me last evening but he's so tired when he comes home from work that I hated asking him. I'm going to just put my eye glasses on with the matching detachable sunglasses that came with them. I know I'm making way too much of this. *sigh* I can do this! I know there is a life lesson in all this.

Donna Faye, congratulations on that chunk of weight that you lost and you will NEVER find again! Fantastic! Good job! .....oh WOW! You have a LOT OF STUFF from KnitPicks! I love that website so much! I can spend hours window shopping! When I was at the fair I bought only the size 8 circ tips plus two cables. Yesterday I put in an order for the tips I usually use and another cable. I thought about just buying the whole set because one can never have too many knitting needles , but I was strong and did not buy any yarn. I have a lotta yarn! And my yarn, knitting books, and patterns I've found on the internet are all very well organized. No one in my family is impressed but I bet you would be!

Jean, most of the stuff I knit is just a flat piece! I can knit socks, hats, and mittens. I am prone to have anxiety attacks so when I'm feeling stressed I will knit on a scarf, a shawl, or a baby blanket or even a dish cloth. Knitting, for me, is about the process; not necessarily the finished object but don't take that wrong I do finish (eventually) my projects! The repetitiveness of knitting calms me down. You NEED to go to the knitpicks website! Now!

Maggie, even though it rained it sounds like the event was a success. And the time the children could enjoy I'm sure they learned a lot from Will and the other crafts artisans. I'm not worrying that much about the possibility of having diabetes and I feel the same way as you do--if the doctor finds something wrong in those blood tests then its a good thing and I can deal with it. God is good and He made me a strong woman! I love chicken salad! Actually, there isn't much I don't like but I really do like chicken salad and I'm going to jot down the ingredients and buy what I don't have on hand when I drive out to Walmart in a few minutes.

Susan, I meant to tell you that quilt you posted the photo of is gorgeous. I hope you had a nice evening and maybe you'll pop in today.

Well Magnolias, I'm going to deal with my vanity and head out to Walmart. IF anyone stares at me....I'll just...I'll just tell them, "No...I'm not Angelina Jolie!" (Not that I'm a huge fan of her's because I'm not; she's just the first celebrity name that came to mind.)

• Good morning ladies! It is sticky and warm this morning but thank goodness we are going to have a cooling trend this weekend. Jack went upstairs just a bit ago and is probably already asleep.

Whooeee we had something go on here last night. I sat up and watched the Cubs game on tv and they had a rain delay of about an hour so I sat and paid bills while I waited for it to come back on. The game didn't finish until near 11 pm. I have been sleeping in the recliner, just feels right for the time being and had the back door open since it had cooled down. I had just dozed off and I heard something that woke me up. I thought it was Fortune and he knocked something off so I turned on a light and called him and he came to me, so he was ok. I got up and went through the downstairs to see what had fallen but there was nothing out of place. I decided to go ahead and unload this dishwasher before going back to sleep and finished that and he wanted out. I let him out and was watching him and he had just gone pee when he whipped his head around to the gate and went back to it. I called him back, then I heard a "whoop" like police cars give sometimes on their sirens so I put on a sweater as I was in a nightgown and went out and peered through the slats in the gate. There was a police car parked in front of the garage across from our garage and I saw 4 cops walking into the neighbors house. His garage side door was open, the light was on and there was light on in the house and the gate was open. I kept watching as they peeked in the garage and turned their flashlights on and walked onto Tim's deck. They were in the house about a minute and came back out, down the walk and then the four of them had their flashlights trained on the ground like they were looking for something. One of the cops shined his light right in my eyes so I got "caught" so I opened the gate and walked out and asked if everything was ok. There were at least 7 police cars and about 14-16 cops out there!!! He walked up to me and ask if I had called the police about a shooting!!! I said no, he asked if I heard gunshots and I first said, no then said, I was sorry that I forgot I had heard something about 5 minutes previous that I thought was my dog knocking something off. He asked me how many shots I heard, and I told him I heard one of whatever it was. They stayed out there walking the grounds for at least an hour and I couldn't go back to sleep so I sat up and knitted. I don't know if they found anything, but I just minded my own business and stayed inside after that.

Angelina: Ooops, sorry that is Gail, right? I bet you did great at the store. No body would look twice at you in this town, I bet! You gotta look at it this way, at least you weren't one of those Walmart shoppers like they have the email pictures that are going around where you are wearing a short skirt, no undies and bend over, or are a guy in full drag outfit, etc. About the only things I have yet to do are cabling, intarsia, colorwook stuff and lace knitting. Cabling would be a snap I think but the other I am buying a book to see what to do and maybe sometime down the road I will attempt it. When you want to spend the money, invest in the knitpicks options set. It comes with different lengths of cable, I think size 4-10 of cable needles, the "keys" to tighten them and even these buttons that you can screw on the ends and make them straight needles. They have been paid for a dozen times over for me. I straight knit with circs and haven't used straight needles in several years when I am straight knitting.

Maggie: I looked at your recipe and thought wow you could make this into an asian chicken salad too but substituting the cajun spice for 5 spice powder and celery for sliced water chestnuts and instead of tomato you could use any number of chinese style veggies. Thanks a lot for the recipe. That's too bad about the kids not all getting to do everything at the museum. I have to say, I cringe everytime I hear "rain" up north now! They told Jack they plan on wrapping the extended hours and such up by a week from tomorrow so he should be home next weekend and then start back to his regular schedule on the 23 if everything goes as planned.

Jean: The only way to learn to follow a pattern is by knitting. The more you knit the more you understand. I finally learned how to count rows, to count stitches, to tell a knit stitch from a purl one, etc and it took time to get the hang of all that. You would find it a snap in short order I think, but then you seem to tire of projects fairly quickly from what you have said about all the things started and not finished craftwise at your house.

I have beaten my own record I think. I have both fingerless gloves done and have 5 patterns of the scarf finished. I want to go back to my socks though they do take longer. This has been a whiz bang pattern to do and is going really quickly so I will have her gift done fairly soon with plenty of time to make her a cup cozy too. I will post a pic of the set as soon as the scarf is finished.

I guess I better go and try and get some rest while Jack is sleeping. I have had about 3 hours of sleep. I am being very low key about my weight loss as I seem to always screw myself up if I talk about it too much. This overnight stuff has helped with that though as I am "sugar" free pretty much and are past the hunger pangs stage too.

You gals have a great day today. I am out of here to snooze with the puppy dog. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It is cloudy this morning and we had more rain during the night. My orioles are fighting over the hummingbird feeder while their orange one hangs close by. We've got lots of yellow finches right now so I'm hoping they all stick around for the summer. Sometimes we are just a stopping point on their journey further north.

Maggie -- It's too bad the rain ended the museum event early. Thanks for sharing your recipe; I'm sure it is delicious. I'm glad Will is enjoying his new appliances.

Gail -- Unless you go to a small grocery store and see the same employees each time, I doubt anyone will give you a second look. One could drop dead in our WM and the clerks would just step over you and keep on going . . . if there was even one close by. I have so many unfinished projects that I would lose my happy home if I start anything new before I finish an old one. Any time I buy new shoes or new clothes Bob asks what I'm getting rid of.

"Gma " -- That kind of excitement you could do without! I wonder if you will ever find out what really happened. One of our lunch bunch ladies was telling that her daughter woke up in the middle of the night hearing someone walking around in her house. She is divorced with two children so is very careful about locking doors and ground windows at night. She checked on the kids who were both asleep in bed, and then went downstairs. She met a drunk who-know-what coming up the basement stairs saying he was looking for the people who lived down there! He wanted her to call someone to give him a ride and she called the police. He said that was ok since they all have cars. It didn't give her name, but I had read about the incident in the local paper. Scary! If I make a mistake when I'm knitting I make a bigger mess trying to tear it out and get the stitches back in order. It sounds like you have been knitting up a storm!

I'm making a quick run to the grocery store and then work on more clothes sorting. This afternoon I will help set tables for the dessert meeting tonight.

I need to get moving! Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Thankful Thursday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently in the high 50's with a chance of showers this afternoon. We can use the showers. We had a visitor last night that wanted to spend the night. The young teen next door was home alone. His dogs that were in the backyard started barking up a storm and he looked out around 10 pm. He called the police because he saw a prowler all dressed in black with a hoodie in his back yard. He also called his parents that were in a neighboring town visiting. We first became aware somehting was up was when we noticed there were a couple patrole cars driving down our alley real slow and shining their lights in our yard. We are the only ones on this block that have a chain link fence out back. All the other houses have tall wooden fences that face the alley. Anyway there was a knock on our front door and there stood a patrol man and our neighbor boy who was visibaly shaking. We were aprised of the situation and asked if he could stay at our house until his folks got home. DUH ~ of course he could. When it came time for us to go to bed we sent him downstairs to sleep on the couch that makes into a bed there. Ragg Mopp went downstairs with him and Beanie stayed with us. I was sound asleep still when he left this morning around 5 am. His mom did not disturb him but just let him sleep the night here when they got home around 1 am. She called him (Will let him take his cell phone with him downstairs) in time for breakfast and school this morning. The kid is 13 but a very young 13 ~ not very mature yet. He is a worker though. Will hires him to pick up trash that the wind blows into our yard and he picks up every little bit. That burgler is the sign of the times getting rough everywhere. Things will get worse before they get better. I saw in Texas someone has stollen a couple thousand dollars worth of gas.

This is Will's day to work at the museum so I will be home alone this afternoon. I need to figure out what I am going to cook this day. But, you know me, I will firgure out something to have all ready for when he gets home this evening. Right now he is out in the garden checking things out. Beanie and Ragg Mopp are asleep in the hallway where I can see them. And all is well. Life is good. Will just came in and said he has a couple errands to run and will be taking the dogs along since they have been itching to take a ride and it has been too hot for the little guys to be left in the vehicle while he is in the store. But today is cool enough they won't toast. I am serioisly thinking about letting all this glorious red in my hair grow out and see what my natural color is now. I think it is gray in the top and sides and dark in the back. I am toying with the thought of dying it a glorious shade of gray and see how that looks with my skin tones.

DONNA FAYE Something is always happening in your neighborhood. I thought of you when we were seeing all the action around here which is rare. That was a hoot your being caught peeking. Nabed by the light. Sure can change that recipe around. I would also use some sesame seeds in it along with the rice and some soy sauce. Oh yes, I will have to try that for sure.

GAIL How did your outing go? Bet no one even tripped about your face. That is a good chosen therapy for you ~ the knitting. Not pressureing yourself to get it "done." Just doing it is a good thing and you make some neat things. I had a friend in MT that instead of fabric or yarn she bought lace. She made some neat crafty things using lace. Lots of folks had sweatshirts decorated by lace that she made. She made me a heart shaped pillow filled with potporie (sp) that was about 5 inches across that was gorgeous and smelled divine. I still have it in a langerie drawer. She called it therapy. My glass works is therapy for me. When I am doing glass I don't eat. I started this therapy when I was still working and a co-worker guy that was a parole officer said one day ~ "Lets go cut some glass for we both need some therapy." We went to a class together and I still cut glass.

JEAN What are you up to this day out in the farm land country. Well, you see I did say something to you today already. I am back now to comment on your comment that you sneeked in here. That is scarey that a drunk got into her house ~ once I had a knock on the door when we lived elsewhere and when I opened it there was a guy on his knees that fell into my house. I told him to leave for this was not his house. He said "Oh I thought my wife locked me out again." He wouldn't get up nor would he budge so I just called the cops that came and removed him out of my doorway. It is worse if they can walk like what happened to that lady.

SUSAN Working on that gorgeious quilt are you. ♪ Every picture tells a story, don't it. ♪Rod Stewart ~ I think sang that.♪

Everyone have a lovely day this beautiful day that it is. Type at y'all later.
  • Donna Faye, bless your heart! What a scare! However, the police responded quickly! As you were describing the whole thing, I pictured you so well in my head (and I don't even know what you look like! ) peering through the slats of the gate. Yes, I went to Walmart and no one paid any attention to me or if they did I didn't see because I wasn't looking at anyone else! I zipped through the store in record time; I just wanted to buy my stuff and get home. I've seen those photos of People of Walmart. My youngest daughter almost submitted a photo of her husband--he went there in his pj bottoms, slippers, and a raggedy coat. Even wearing that, he didn't seem as strange as some I have seen shopping there! Not that he looked all that great but...

Hey Jean, you can always knit a dishcloth! Easy. Flat. 9 inches square. Portable. AND....you can tell everyone you're going "green".
  • Two of you snuck in here while I was typing!

Jean, well...that may be a requirement for people who work at Walmart--just keep movin'! That's about right--same way at my Walmart too.

Maggie, everything went well at Walmart. My good friend here let her natural color of hair grow out and she looks beautiful. It's white and silver. Gorgeous. And liberating, she said. She no longer has to worry about coloring her roots anymore. I've told Wayne that when I turn gray (I only have a few strands at my temples) I'm just going to let it come! Right now I still get highlights in my hair...more for added body than anything else. Before I knitted I did counted cross-stitch--same thing--therapy! I've always done something to keep my hands busy. And you're right, can't eat if your hands are working something. And sadly, you're right, burglary is on the rise in neighborhoods now. Every once in awhile I will get a recorded alert phone call from our local police department advising us to be aware.
  • Good evening, ladies. Still cool in the 60s with rain for the next 4 days.

Haven't done anything but go to work today and tomorrow I have water aerobics. I'm really missing my weight training and they say it will be another 3 weeks before the remodel is complete and we can get back to normal.

Glory is getting better and I won't have to go to her unless she calls for me to do something. It has been a long illness and she'll be a while longer getting back to her old self.

Gail, I'd have put a sign on my chest and back saying "Hit in the eye by a metorite!" We have a nice Walmart where I go. Clean, well organized and helpful employees. I buy no produce there because Kroger's is cheaper and lasts longer and they have better variety. I love knitted dishclothes. They are nice to tuck in as an "extra" in gifts, too.

Maggie, I feel for that young man. I'd have been scared, too. I quilt because I can't eat at the same time. I don't even like to have things to drink near me.

Jean, only a couple of weeks until Memorial Day and then I guess you'll be spending more time at the lake. Won't that be fun!

Faye, pull up the police log for Memphis and see what it was about. It is public record. I don't know that I'd know what a shot sounded like.

Well, I'm going to turn on the tv for a change and watch Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice. Have a great evening.
  • Good morning! Not a whole lot goin' on 'round here right now. I'm still in my nightgown and drinking coffee (and typing but not at the same time!).

Not sure what I have planned for today. I need to empty out the walk-in closet and organize it. It gets into such a mess at times things start to pile up into the middle of the floor. This is a chore I keep putting off.

Susan, if you ever need a knitted dish cloth or two...or three...just holler and I'll gladly mail you some! Whenever I'm inbetween projects and I don't know what I want to knit dish cloths are my "go to" until I can make up my mind!

Anyone wanting a knitted dish cloth send me a message and if you don't have my email address I'll give it to you then you can email your home address and I'll gladly put a couple in the mail to you! Seriously.

I just saw something on the news this morning that is disturbing: a mother injecting botox into her 8-year-old daughter! Evidently, this is a common practice among mothers of little girls who enter pageants! Wouldn't this be child abuse? Sometimes...a lot of times I think the world has gone absolutely positively nuts.

• Good morning to you all. Ugh, it is raining here again. We did expect several days of rain and sure enough. It did cool it off a lot and it was kind of weird. I was sleeping and heard some big thunder and lightening strikes so got up and went to the door and looked out. It was raining hard next door and not at our house! I must have stood there 5 minutes before it started moving into our yard. It was really weird.

Today is my eye appt and getting contacts for the year, then I am going to treat myself to getting my nails done, I have to pick up the dogs meds and go to the grocery store. Go to the department store and pick up some more Donna Karan fragance is squeezed out the last bit to wear today.
    Tonight is Subway night since I have so much running around to do.

Gail: Knitpicks has a new cotton yarn called "dishie" they spun specifically for dishcloths. I have thought about getting some and making my own dishcloths but didn't know if they were absorbent or not. They also have some cute free dishcloth patterns there. My put off chore at the moment is filing. I have a huge stack of filing to put away and I keep putting it off, partially because of the way we have the file cabinet. I can only get into it from one side and not in front as it is against a wall. I should have known better I was a file clerk manager for a law firm for 6 years!!!

Maggie: I was a bit embarrassed being caught in the act so to speak. I felt like one of those people who is always spying on their neighbors! Poor kid it must have scared him to death. I told my niece that Fortune didn't even bark when the cops were making a ruckus so anyone breaking into the house would get licked to death instead of bitten. Fortune is my little pacifist!

Jean: Jack said Monday may be his last night now. The river is receding about 6-8 inches a day and they hope it will be back where it is supposed to be by Monday at least for the plant. Jack ate a quick bowl of cereal and he said, "I am goin' to bed." I bet he was asleep when it head hit the pillow. Oh my gosh, wonder how the guy got in? Knowing me, I would be too mad to think about being afraid. Bob is like Jack he notices if I wear something he thinks he hasn't seen before. Speaking of that, might be a nice time for a new bag. I haven't bought one in a real long time. I just wish the swelling in my feet would go down completely. It has gone down a lot since quitting the Norvasc, but the heat has kept some of the swelling. I still can't get on a lot of my sandals and it is sandal weather.

Well gals, I need to clean up Jack's breakfast dishes get some makeup on and my hair done and eat a bit of breakfast myself before heading out this morning. I don't know what I am going to see out and about since I haven't been past our grocery store since this all started. Have a great weekend all!! We have the dreaded commissary this weekend if it is even open. I don't know if they got flooded or not. I am going to have to call and find out. Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! The wind is still blowing and we had rain again during the night. The temperature has dropped a lot -- wind chill is 34 and the furnace just came on! This weather is nuts! I'm tired today! I kept waking up during the night with sore legs from spending time on the cement floor at church yesterday. I need to return church keys this morning and run a couple errands.

Maggie -- It was nice of you to come to aid of your neighbor boy. I felt sorry for him after reading about the prowler in his yard. He was smart to call the police to investigate. I am surprised his parents didn't come right home when called though. It's good that you and Will make sure it is cool enough to leave the dogs in the car. I often see them locked in at WM's lot with just a window cracked and it's HOT. Dumb people!

Gail -- What kind of yarn do you use for a dish cloth? That's a good idea! I used to do counted cross stitch but now it's too hard to see at night. I personally think those child beauty pagents are ridiculous!

Susan -- Enjoy your today. I hope the weight room gets finished sooner than they anticipate. I'm glad Glory is feeling better. Being sick is so hard on any body. It's hard to believe Memorial Day is just around the corner and the month of May will have flown by.

"Gma" -- It sounds like you have a busy day of errands planned. Enjoy getting your nails done -- what color are they? I looked at purses when we were in Sioux Falls but didn't see anything I liked. I like pockets on the outside, not too big nor too little, and a zipper in the middle so everything doesn't fall out if it tips over. I hope your swelling goes down; I can tell it's more humid because my rings get tight towards evening.

I need to get dressed, put my house back together, and get going. I feel like I spent most of the day at church yesterday; being hostess is hard work! Have a fantastic Friday and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • FINALLY FRIENDLY FRIDAY ~ The 13th
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Burr it is chilly here today on Friday the 13th. 48 degrees, cooudy and windy. I can hear it blowing and it is blowing hard. I think this house leaks because it makes my eyes itchey. OH my ~ the heater come on because it is is now switched over from air. Couple days we use the air then now the heater. Today I am just not having any gumption to do anything but get warm. I have lunch and dinner planned out so that is done. Our fridge ice maker is acting up so the fix it man is due any minute to check it out. Got to have ice. The fridge man was here and there is nothing wrong with the fridge. Has to do with the valve downstairs that is a bit corroded which can be replaced by a plumber - or Will. The water flow to the ice maker was being restricetd thus little ice was being made.

DONNA FAYE You wouldn't know how to act living here for it is so quiet at night. Not much excitement out here on the planes. I didn't think it rained like that except out in CA. It is weird when it happens though. You are getting some treats today ~ enjoy!

JEAN You are tired today and I have the blahs which I think is due to the change in weather. Standing on concrete floors can really do a number on a persons legs. for you last night. You know, I wouldn't leave a kid in a hot car so why leave a dog that way eigher.

GAIL I would love some of your dishcloths. I think you have my address ~ if not let me know. Have you thought anymore about getting a puppy? I am not a fan of those folks that parade their little children like that. Let a child be a child for they grow up so fast anyway. And to inject that into her daughters body ~ outrageous to put it mildly. Those folks certainly have a different mind set than the main stream of society.

SUSAN That's too bad that the remodeling won't be ready for awhile. I know that must really mess with your regular routine. Do you have any weights at home that you can be using in the meantime to kinda compensate?

All y'all have a wonderful Friday the 13th and stay safe.