Weight Loss Buddies IX

You're on Page 2 of 30
Go to
  • Ok after talking about it so many times, I finally started couch to 5k today. It was awesome. I am determined to become a runner. This weeks workouts are 30 minutes so I went 2 miles. Gonna start jumping rope too.

Hope everyone is as energized as I am today.
  • burgundy - wow, I think you are going to love c25k from everything I hear! Good for you - spring is a perfect time to get started with running. Curious to hear how everything goes for you.

Happy friday, girls!
  • Burgundy - good luck with C25K! That's what I started with last January, and I worked up to run/walking 10 miles in May and half-marathons in June. Spring is the best time to start - you'll want to get outside, with the weather getting nice. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if you feel like something's too tough. Sign up for a 5K that's scheduled for when you'll be done with the plan, too - having the actual event at the end of the plan made me so much more motivated!

I have been doing well with the diet - having a few treats here and there but keeping my calories down in my goal range. I'm still struggling with wanting something for dessert every night - over the summer I'm hoping to redefine what "dessert" is and get in the habit of having fruit or something. I'm going on a 7-mile run today, so I will need to eat a bit more - but I'm trying to not go overboard, too.

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Allison: Good luck on the C25K! I was attempting to do that last year and kinda did it on my own...right before the knee/back issues. I saw your FB post about it - so glad that you are excited! Running must be in the air because Jeff had me doing a lot of it last night!

Keraniluna: Welcome! Amazing progress on your running. Question for you - did you ever have knee pain when you ran? I only ask because my knees have been bugging me and thought I would ask for advice. I totally know what you are talking about with desserts! We have a cafeteria in our office that always has cookies, gourmet brownies and low fat frozen yogurt. I've been partaking in the yogurt a bit too much lately, gotta watch myself. Just because it's low fat doesn't mean calorie free!

Went to the gym last night and had a "fun" workout from Jeff. Here it is:

Run 3/4 mile
    21 push press with 30 pound bar
    Run 1/2 mile
    21 push press with 30 pound bar
    Run 3/4 mile

So, needless to say, I was a sweaty mess afterwards, but I actually ran the entire thing! Knees are hurting a bit last night and today, but went shopping with Madeline and got some walking in. I'm going to sign up at a Snap Fitness in my neighborhood this week - I'll work out there 3 days a week then with Jeff the other 3. Figured that it woudl be easier for me to workout close to home 3 times a week (since I want to actually see my family...LOL) and then work out with Jeff and get my tougher workouts in. Work still reimburses for gym memberships, so at least 1 will be paid for. I can cover the other for $30/month.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend! It's over 50 here today so it's been gorgeous walking around.
  • Vicky - Sounds like you had a great running workout! I should really try mixing in weights with running intervals when I'm stuck inside - that would certainly keep things more interesting.

I haven't really had any major problems with knee pain when I run - more problems with plantar fasciitis and sore toes. But when I have had tightness in my knees, I've found that stretching REALLY helps. For something more serious, I would take a look at the Runner's World sections on runner's knee and stretching:

(I can't post urls yet, so add the http stuff at the front!)

runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-285--7773-0,00.html (runner's knee)

runnersworld.com/topic/0,7122,s6-241-287-0-0,00.html (stretching)

The other thing I've done when my knees or shins are sore is ramp up the yoga for a while....here is one of my favorites:
    youtube.com/watch?v=-_zTZvoHkdY

Hope that helps!

I had a really nice long run today - 7.6 miles plus a half-mile cool-down. I was feeling really down about running a few weeks ago, and wasn't sure I'd be ready for the 10-mile race I signed up for in May - but now I'm feeling much better about the whole thing. I don't have much more time for long runs before then, but I know I can do it! I'm also down 1.5 pounds since last week - I guess eating more veggies and running more is paying off!

Hope you are all enjoying the lovely weather
  • Dance-Im ready to start running. Yesterday was great. Gonna do day 2 tomorrow. Hope it goes as well.

Kera-maybe I will have as much success with c25k as you did. I am in no way a runner so I might have to repeat some weeks but thats ok. I have plenty of time to do this. I have the same problems with dessert. We never really eat dessert but lately my sweet tooth is kicking in around 8 or 9 at night. Great job on the run, you will be ready for that marathon when the time rolls around.

Vicky-Im hoping my knees dont give me problems. I have always had weak knees so we'll see. That looks like a great workout. My gym membership ran out today and they close in 2 weeks. Theres another gym that opened up in town and they were offering a year for $250.

Took a rest day, I was kinda sore. I wanted to take a walk but helped with meals at a church meeting and ran out of time. Took the dogs for their first walk of the season yesterday. They were so happy. 2 big dogs came running up on us on our way home. The owner said they were harmless but he has had a dog attack a lady in the past so I dont trust him. Have to go the other way from now on. Sucks cos I like going that way.

Ive been getting back into jewelry making. Thinking about opening an etsy store. Not sure yet. Might start out at craft shows. Need to get lots more supplies.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
  • burgundy - good job for getting started onthe running program - you rock!

kera - missed your earlier post - wow on running half marathons - I'm so impressed! My body won't cooperate with those kind of distances unfortunately - all kinds of trouble with shin splints. So glad it's working out well for you though. Good thoughts on stretching - that's supposed to help a lot with knee issues if you do it right.

maddiesmom - nicely done on the killer workout - you are still my hero!

Planning on an oh-so-exciting run to Costco later and a run in the park. What's everyone else up to?
  • burgundy - Hope you really like C25K. My favorite part of it was having measurable improvement - I always felt accomplished when I finished a week. I definitely have a sweet tooth problem still - although since I eat dinner around 7, it's usually at 9:30 or 10 for me. I have gotten a little better by "budgeting" my food to allow for one dessert ahead of time - that way I don't end up eating everything. Maybe some day I'll get used to not having dessert every night?

dance - I have been lucky not to have any big problems with the distances. I'm not totally convinced I enjoy distances that far - I really like 6-7 miles, but get sore and tired beyond that. After the few races I have planned in the spring, I want to focus on losing more weight and building strength - I'm hoping that that will help me get faster and enjoy the distances more. I move soon, and when I do I'm going to try to find a gym - belonging to a gym has always worked the best for me.

I had a good day - mostly shopping, and a little TV. It was nice to take a break! I have a loooong week at work this week, so I suppose it's off to bed!
  • Hey girls - happy Monday!

Didn't run yesterday but walked in the sleet/snow instead - same mileage but with the change for the worse in our weather (was in the 70s earlier in the weekend), I decided to opt for the easier choice.

burgundy - how's c25k treating you?

kera - late at night is my tough time too - if I could get that solved, I think I'd be okay long term but I'm still struggling with it. If you come up with any secrets other than saving calorie space for a snack, definitely let me know!

Hope you all are doing great...
  • Hey All! I'm baaack haha Had a pretty crappy week someone ran into my truck in the middle of the night last week Luckly the driver wasn't hurt & he stuck around. I have a beast it squashed his car so he had to get towed, hit and runs are common we live on a main street which is why I park in the garage 98% of the time...my bad!! The road was fine & he actually addmitted he wasn't paying attention to the police, so he was rewarded with a nice $420 fine and 5 demarits and I have no vehicle arrrg! Still waiting to hear back from the mechanic & insurance I hope it's okay

Welcome Kera! Sounds like you are very ambitious

I've been doing okay food wise had a few slips but still losing thats what matters Planning on getting in more workouts this month. My husband switched departments at work which means a new shift so he'll be home by 9:30pm instead of 12:30-1am However I'd like to get in my workouts before he comes home I can focus better alone haha and once again...I am going to try to get on here more I really do a lot better when I'm structured
    I really should get back to my paperwork but I'll be back later for personals after my workout. Knee is feeling pretty good so I'm going to get in some elliptical and biggest loser once Ethan is in bed.
  • marmalade - glad you're back but sorry about your poor car - what a bummer! Come back and tell us how many minutes of elliptical you got in - hope the knee holds up.
  • Hi all, hope you had a good Monday! We had really amazing weather here - mid to low 70s - so I had a very nice day. Lots of walking outside, at least 2 miles - so that was my workout for today. I may do a bit of yoga tonight still, though - my hips are tight from this weekend's run.

dance - I wish I had another trick for the late-night sweets! At this point I've pretty much given up trying to get myself to stop - I've heard of people brushing their teeth when they should be done eating for the day, or putting a "closed" sign across the kitchen, but I tend not to stick with things like that. If anyone else has any better tricks, let me know!

marmalade - Sounds like a bad week! I hope this week goes much better for you. How did the elliptical go?
  • Great workout tonight did the biggest loser dvd for 35minutes & 34minutes on the elliptical. Elliptical just about killed me the last 5 minutes were brutal it was AWESOME! I took a break form the interval programs but I'm back at it & doing pretty good. When I started in January I did .5 mile in the 30min program & I'm up to .75 mile Bought a heart rate monitor not the best of the best but it had really good reviews on accuracy. Burned 302cals on the elliptical & 248cals for the biggest loser I'm so happy I have an actual idea what I am acually burning I knew my Elliptical was off & trying to track it myself was a huge pain in the butt.

Dance sorry your run got snowed out at least you braved the weather and got something in. We had a big snow storm here last week ugh I getting so sick of the snow! I'm dying for spring weather. Did you get a workout in today?

Burgundy ooo etsy how exciting they have really good rates. I had a shop there a few years ago but I got so busy I stopped having the time to be "creative" Hows the zumba going? I was thinking of getting that next I've heard it's lots of fun, I haven't heard much about the wii game though.

Maddiesmom Wowza you just don't quit I am so impressed you push through your busyness to make the time for everything. That is something I am really struggling with you give me hope it can be done Does Jeff always change your workouts up? It seems like you're always posting different routines.

Kera ugh that darn snacking! I usually have troubles in the afternoon. I go for super mini peanut butter cups they're for baking, I normaly have a bag they're super tiny like the tip of you're pinky finger. I don't let myself have more then 5 in a day I suck on them it's fantastic haha or cheese that's a problem for me old cheese ugh could eat it forever. I heard if you think about what your are going to eat in advance you eat less because your mind is already satisfied but I don't know about that

Alright it's nearly 11pm here & I need to get showered & ready for bed hope everyone had a great Monday! I'll be back tomorrow I think I said that last week but I mean it this time Ethan is going to a movie tomorrow with a friend so afternoon workout here I come Rick is training this week so he's going to be home by 3pm all week. I told him I have to stick to my routine even though he'll be home, I think he's starting to feel left out but I can't go back to sitting on my butt watching tv all night all week.
  • Hey girls - got in a nice walk last night with some friends. We stopped for dinner at a place nearby and I had the yummiest grilled chicken sandwich (didn't eat the bread though) with roasted red pepper strips, avocado and chipotle aioli - just thought I'd mention if you needed a new dinner idea. I won't have time for a workout today unfortunately - need to run errands on the way home - but am doing well sticking to plan foodwise so far. I'm having a bunch of girls over tomorrow for book club - should be interesting.

marmalade - curious to hear how it goes sticking to your routine with Rick being around. keep up the good work!

kera - I'll try brushing my teeth earlier - maybe that'll help. I've been trying herbal tea instead of a snack but my body is so not fooled

Hope you guys are having a great day!
  • Hi Ladies Mind if I join in?

Burgundy are you still doing wii zumba? You make it sound worth trying. I'm currently doing work out dvd's but could use something fun to switch it up with.

Maddie and Carved - I was starting to think I was the only tall girl around here

You all seem to be doing great with the running! Good job! I can't wait until I can be in good enough shape to run again. A slow jog is the best I can do with out my legs turning to jelly on me