Old 02-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #16  

Maggie -- You are lucky that the plant store will exchange a new plant for your dead one. Does it make any difference how long you've had it? A long time ago we planted a tree that promptly died and they did replace it, but I think there was a time limit. Thanks for sharing the recipe -- sounds good. Question of the day . . . . does prepared mustard have a stronger taste than dry mustard when used in a recipe? I've interchanged the two and could never tell any difference.

Karen -- Welcome! You are invited to join our small, but chatty, group! We would love to have you.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #17  

Good morning to you all. It rained here a great deal last evening and much cooler, but it is supposed to get up to around 70 today so back to warm temps. I am certainly ready for spring to get here.

Maggie: I am afraid that store would change their policy if they had me as a customer. I would be returning tons of dead plants. I am more of a black thumb than a green one. It isn't that I don't like them, it is more I just stink at growing anything. Thanks for the sandwich sauce recipe. I actually like dried fruit, especially prunes. I haven't ever tried dried pineapple. I like regular pineapple so much I imagine I would really like it. I bet it makes it taste really sweet when pineapple is dried.

Jean: I personally don't like dried mustard at all. I know most baked mac and cheese recipes call for it, but I leave it out as I don't like the taste. I do, however really like different prepared mustards, except for honey varieties, which I just can't abide. Kelly brought us back some mustard from one of her trips and they are pretty darn good. Glad you are feeling better. Since I am still having hormonal issues I get the chills and such like that and then wake up baked like a chicken and strip everything off! I have a couple issues with my meds one being that one of them causes cold hands and feet and the other causes edema in the legs and feet. So they always seem to be cold and or swollen. I wear mens' socks in the house to keep my feet warm even in summer.

Gail and Susan: Hope this day finds you well and happy!

I am heading upstairs to clean in a few minutes. I have got a ton of work to accomplish today so I need to get started on it. I have been a bit spooked with the Fortune thing so like an idiot sat and watched him all day yesterday even though he hasn't changed his behavior or anything. He has always been a quiet dog, wanting to just sit on your lap all the time. So now, I am way behind and need to get stuff done so we can shampoo carpets this weekend.

Have a good one girls. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #18  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another gloomy, windy, cold day in my neighborhood. I have picked up the kitchen and should make a grocery list. WW is over the noon hour so maybe I'll head for the store afterwards.

I need to get dressed and make my grocery list. Prices have gone up so much I hate to even go to the store. Our water bill is going up 9%, and the city council wants to raise it an additional 9% for each year for the next 5. GRRR! People are of the opinion the packing plants should pick up the lead, but the city always gives them a "deal." It's because of them that our town is going to he**, the school tax is sky high, and we have to have such a large police force. What's wrong with that picture? Enough griping . . . I'm off!

Have a terrific day and enjoy!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-24-2011, 12:51 PM   #19  
Thin Within

Talking Thankful Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a chilly 27 degree morning which is cloudy and a wind blowing from NE at 23 MPH making it feel like 12 degrees. Burrr. Beanie is out back and Ragg Mopp is asleep on the sofa in the front room. Will is down at the court house and all is quiet here except the hum of the food dehydrator. I put the apple slices in the machine too late yesterday and before we went to bed I just shut it off and then turned it back on this morning. I wouldn't do that with meat but with those apple slices it will be OK. I rotate the shelves every two hours. The book says apple slices take 12 to 15 hours to dry. I need to get what ever it is I want to dry in the machine earlier from now on I do believe. I learned an interesting thing about the kings in a deck of cards: Spades ~ King David; Hearts ~Charlemage; Clubs ~ Alexander the Great; Diamonds ~ Julious Ceaser. I don't know what I will ever do with that knowledge but I had never known that before. Now you know it and what will you do with it?

DONNA FAYE I think we are all ready for Spring to get here also. What month is it that those red buds bloom? I remember that whole highway edged with them and how gorgeous they were. On our CB we asked a trucker what those beautiful purple flowers were and he said RED BUDS and we will never forget that. Come to think of it ~ it does make sense for the buds are red and when they open up the flowers are purple. But, you see we had never seen them in bud, just in bloom. You got the rain and we got the cold temps.

JEAN I think dried mustard is just mustard with the moisture removed. I am not really sure what the method of making it is. Maybe it is mustard before the moisture is put in. Just may be ground up mustard plant. If I don't want any added moisture in a recipe I use the dried kind and use the regular kind we use on sandwiches and in salads where I desire the moisture. Like in meatloaf I use what we call the regular kind. (Not the dried.) Make any sense? Pretty soon we will all just be able to buy the absolutely needful things I imagine. Or maybe not even some of those. Our buying power has been diminished. My allowance doesn't go as far as it used to. Needful things. We have a plan for when things get really, really, bad do you? It is good to have plans. It is going to get worse before it ever gets better. That is what the talking heads are saying. Are the people listening?

SUSAN & GAIL Howdy to you. Hope all is going well in your corner of the world.

Time to go let Beanie in. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-24-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #20  

"Gma" -- I see that you and I posted just a minute apart this morning. I hope your rain doesn't turn to snow as it sounds like another storm is coming through. I have an online friend who lives in the middle of NE and they got 12" dumped between 1 and 4 this afternoon. I hate going to bed cold and have worn my robe a couple of nights.

Maggie -- Does your house have an apple scent after drying the apples? I didn't know about the Kings in a deck of cards. Where do you find tidbits like that? I also think there is something to do with eyes but can't remember if it is Js, Qs, or Ks. I should go check. My only plan is to limit my spending! I try to consolidate trips into town and have quit buying expensive junk food that neither of us need. Our tiny house in Sioux City had a bomb shelter that was ready to go with all the necessities; we thought it was kind of silly at the time. Bob used it for his office to do his studying.

Susan -- Was today a two job day for you?

Last edited by Jean; 02-24-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #21  
Thin Within

Talking Night Time

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It is night time at just about 11:30. Thought I would check in before beddy bye. Stir fry for dinner turned out great again I must say. The dogs are in for the night. It snowed an inch and little Beanie loves to frolic in it. He comes in with snow all over his face. He is asleep at my feet right now. He will go to bed when I do which will be soon.

JEAN Nope the house didn't take on the apple smell at all. Every thing I have ever dried didn't permeate the house. I was warned about not drying onions by a friend that dried some and it was so bad she and her husband had to spend the night in a motel. That told me to never dry onions or garlic. I think I will only dry the things that you can't easly find to buy dried. Like I probably won't dry any more apples. I just did them now because we had quite a few and I wanted to see if the dryer still worked. I do want to make some jerky before I put it away till our garden produces some things I want to dry.

Everyone sleep well this night. Wake up to a beautiful day. Type at y'all later.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #22  

Good morning to you all. It is here this morning with the wind really going at it. We had a huge storm with multi tornados and such move through last night. Poor Jack had to work several hours extra last night because something about one of the pumps not working. I don't know what that would have to do with him as that is mechanics area not control techs, but there must be some kind of plc or something that needed checking.He was so tired he was gray around the face. Anyway, he was exhausted and I had waited dinner but didn't want to wait for me to cook so I just ran out to McDonalds for him and I ate Lean Cuisine. Well, I was in line, stuck because of people in front and behind me and a big curb on each side and the tornado sirens went off! I couldn't move so just prayed it wasn't on top of us. The sirens cover several square miles in each direction. I had also paid so I wasn't about to walk away from the food. I got it finally and got out of there and quickly headed home, which was only a couple miles. We stayed in and hunkered down and a bit later Fortune wanted out. I told him he couldn't go out as it was driving rain, but he insisted until I opened the door then he just kept backing up! He should listen to his mommy!

I finished upstairs except for rug shampooing this weekend and I am going to strip the bed completely and do the comforter, skirt and such along with sheets so everything will be nice and fresh. We are doing the downstairs living room tomorrow and when I get done here I am going to go in and do the dining room rug to get it finished then do some of the downstairs cleaning. I am going to leave the living room until tomorrow to dust and such as we have to move furniture anyway so might as well just wait and give everything a thorough dusting. I am also going to clear out some of the knick knacks and get rid of them. They are a pain to dust all the time (I have a sort of beach themed living room and about 8-10 snuff boxes or trinket boxes that are all lighthouses around the country. They are cute, but man they are a pain to dust. I also have to move the wall decor on the side the tv will be as we have to raise the tv with the new loveseat coming so we can see it with the footrest up so it will block the wall decor. I am going to move it behind the couch I think.

I hear the washer is finished with the first load of towels and undies and such so will have to get up and get those in the dryer. I did all the throw rugs yesterday so they are all cleaned now too.

Maggie: I had never heard of the card thing either, but I always saw the spade as something dark so I think David should have been the King of Hearts and Caesar the King of Spade! Hope your fruit drying and jerky is coming along. I tell Jack all the time, you have to be content where you are so it you come on hard times you can take it and if you come on good times you are thankful. Jack and I have to save to do things like vacations and such and I am plugging away at getting things paid off before retirement, but it is slow going. Many things won't quite be paid off, but I am making headway. I talked to him last night about if the worst happened and he would pass what I would have to live on if, a) he died before he retired from the city,I would only have his two life insurance policies, what is in his city pension and eventually his SS, or b) if he died after he retired which means I would have the insurance 70% of his city pension, only one of his insurance policies, the military one, and his SS. I lose his Navy pension the minute he breathes his last breath though I retain all benefits. His life insurance from the city goes away when he retires as it is a benefit. Now when he retires we will have his Navy Pension, City Pension, and his SS along with mine eventually, but we hope to hold out on it as long as possible to get the most out of it. Between having to take on the huge Medicare expense and losing income, we will probably come out about $1000 less a month, but considering what some people have to live on, we will be great.

Jean: I imagine you now have all that snow from the storm moving through. I know when I looked on the SBT this morning, there are closures and such in South Bend so they got hit with it last night. We are just chilly today after heavy rains and dropping temps from the upper 70's at 7 pm last night to low 40's this morning and really windy. I have tons of shoes, but don't want to get rid of them because one of these days they will fit me ok! It isn't they don't fit it is that at my current size they aren't comfortable. I have a lot of really adorable sandals I can't wear at the moment.

Well, I guess I need to get going and start the shampooing. Jack is going to come home early if he can and take comp time from last night if the plant is running ok today. I expect him to be home around 11:30 if he can come home so want to get it done and surprise him as he is usually the rug shampooer in our house, though I do a more thorough job than he does I think. Have a grand weekend all. Oh, my new loveseat will be delivered a week from tomorrow so I am all excited. They called yesterday and could deliver it tomorrow, wed, thur, or next Sat and I opted for next Saturday so we have plenty of time to get stuff moved around and the old recliner junked. Too bad they don't take the old stuff like they do appliances and such, but no such luck. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #23  

Good morning, ladies. 63 degrees and pouring rain.

Wednesday I helped hang quilts for the big Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival - I have 3 entered - and yesterday was both jobs. I'm going to the Y for my weight lifting and treadmill this morning, then run to MAQF for a few hours before I go to work at 4. The quilts are really beautiful this year.

Faye, I hope Fortune is okay when you take him back to the vet. You are always cleaning house. I need to get a bit more time so I can clean rugs, too. It takes me forever because I get short of breath pushing the steamer around so can only do a little at a time.

Maggie, my plan is the same as always. Trust God to provide what I need, keep my wants small, and hang on. The economy around here has picked up considerable and we have new businesses opening and more new homes being built. The unemployment figures are going down. Hopefully it will continue in that vein.

Jean, hang in there - Spring is just around the corner. We change the clocks ahead March 13. Our pansies have revived and are blooming and I have bulbs putting up green.

Time to head out. Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #24  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is rather chilly here in the Heartland. The 12 degrees feels like minus 1 because of the ENE wind at 10 MPH ~ and of all things the humidity is 81%. The little bit of snow that fell is not going to melt with this temp. I sure go through the boxes of tissues. I don't have a cold but this weather sure makes my nose want to sneeze and run. I am not bad enough to be medicated though. This is a day to make a good stew I do believe. And it is time once more to make a loaf of bread. I don't eat much bread at all but Will does like it so when I make it. Found out that bananas don't do well being kept in the fruit and veggie keeper. They turned to mush inside and looked all pretty and yellow on the outsude. The keeper kept the peel nice but did a number on the innards. I had never put bananas in there before. Guess I won't put them in there again. It sure does the trick keeping other things so fresh though. Beanie is 4 months old now and I don't think he will get much bigger than he is now. He is about the size that Ragg Mopps mother was. Half his size. Both of them get lots of good exercise with their romping around together in the yard. Ragg Mopp has really been a nice help with training Beanie ~ When I saw Beanie looking around like he wanted to find a place to pee I would alert Beanie to go outside. Now when Ragg Mopp sees Beanie do that behavior he goes over there and herds Beanie toward the back door. Beanie still hasn't gotten it through his head to go to the back door on his own except when he wants just to go "out there." The vet and groomer both said that this type of dog is one of the hardest to train that way. Ragg Mopp was the exception for he was so easy when I attached that bell to the door. He never ever went in the house. This house isn't set up to do that sadly enough. We even bought some of those pads that are supposed to attrect dogs to use but not Beanie. We will win this war.

DONNA FAYE You make me tired with all that cleaning. Girlfriend you are the clean-e-est person I know. We have a clean house but we don't go at it like you do. To each his own on that one. Working long hours can sure tire out a person. Poor Jack having to "be there." I am just saying get ready for some hard times. If things don't get hard then you are that much ahead of it all. If SS takes a dump we could make it on my disability retirement. I don't get SS. But what they are saying about SS is that folks that get it now will get to keep gettiing it but those that are due to retire in a few years will have to work a little longer than they thought. Folks are living longer then when it was first put in place so they are pushing up the age of eligibility. They were talking about it going broke way back in the 70's when I was able to opt out of paying into SS. I paid into wat is called "safety retirement." Looks what they were talking about back then is now coming closer around the bend. My dad didn't pay into SS and my mother gets his full retirement. Good thing you don't have to rely totally on SS. My whole thing is just be prepared as best you can.

SUSAN I imagine that quilt show is a real happening. I would love to be there and go through it. Are any of the quilts for sale there? I love to hear what exercises you are doing. I do mine inside here in my own gym. Got my walking route, heavy hands and lots of other exercise do dads and DVD's that keep me with a nice variety. By the time I reach goal I may just be in good shape also. Does your church have a food pantry? We do here and believe more and more folks are calling that need help around this area. Most of the churches in this area give the folks our number for they know we will help by giving out bags of food and personal items. Since your area is not as depressed you probably don't get that many folks that need help. Will had to go out twice last night to help some folks one couple needed a room and another needed gas for his vehicle to get home. Will volunteers at the place that gets the calls and screens them through the police. The police transports the folks to the motel and Will meets them there and gives them a bag of food items and pays the bill. The calls from that are picking up. Since we have our finger on the pulse of what is happening around here we know more than most folks here of what is going on with the needy. Lots of folks are just trying to "get back home."

All y'all have a lovely afternoon. The weekend is just around the corner.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! Yesterday I called about getting a perm and asked for a first morning appt. thinking I would have to wait a week or so. She called back last night and I could go today so off I went. I drove in snow "sprinkles" that has now quit and didn't amount to anything. It is 10 degrees, cloudy, windy, and -4 wind chill as I'm typing. I need to make a grocery run to pick up what I forgot on my last trip to the store. You all know how much I love grocery shopping. . . .NOT!

"Gma" -- I would really be spooked to have a tornado siren go off while I was in the car. I did have to at you not leaving McDs until you got your food. We haven't gotten any measureable snow for several days and most of the yard is clear again. Ernie meows at the back door until I open it wide enough for him to stick his nose through to check the temperature. There were a couple warm afternoons last week that I could leave it open and he sat there for hours. This morning it didn't take him long to sniff and back up inside. I'm sorry Jack had to work later last night. You will enjoy your new loveseat and your squeaky clean livingroom! You are definitely the Queen of Clean!

Susan -- I would love to go to a quilt show with you and have you explain the different patterns and styles of quilting to me. I always think of you when I see anything quilted or the quilt store ads in the paper. I'm sure you enjoyed your exercise today. You are so faithful about that! At this point I would love to see anything green outside -- even a dandelion.

Maggie -- It sounds like we are in a similar weather pattern. We have a community food pantry but people still come to our church. We give vouchers to the cheaper local grocery store and they are only allowed to buy necessities. We will also only help 2 months in a row with bills; the churches keep track of who we help to determine if there is a pattern. Once a month there is a Friendship collection, taken during church, for things like motel room, gas, meds, clothing, etc. Sometimes there is quite a bit given and other times not so much.

I need to put another load of laundry in the washer and head for the store. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #26  
Thin Within

Talking Cold Chilly Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a very foggy chilly 19 degrees this day so far. It is even chilly in my office. I must be losing weight. I put on a sweater. Not much except cleaning planned for this day. Folding some washed clothing and that's about it with the plans. Beanie has started getting on the bed in the early hours of the morning. He is behaving himself though for he has calmed down and not in my face all wiggley waking me up. He doesn't dare get in Ragg Mopps way though or off the bed he goes. So when the little one gets on the bed he comes up closer to the head of the bed between us. I really don't have much ambition yet this day. Maybe it is because I just woke up not to long ago. I don't know what happened but frist off my bread machine beeped when it was through mixing up my dough and when I opened the lid it was like I had just put the pan in with the flour and other ingredients just sitting there not disturbed. I lifted the pan and reinserted it and it worked fine. Perhaps the first go round I didn't properly insert the pan otherwise I don't know what happened. It was so stickey that I had to kneed some flour into it which has never happened before. Usually on dough setting it comes out nice and round and looking just like it should. Anyway that loaf when cooked turned out big and round and about 3 inches tall. Usually the loaf is about 8 inches in diameter and 5 inches tall. I just really don't know what was going on. It tastes good and was such a pretty loaf. Will had toast out of it this morning and said it is excelent tasting. If I had known it was going to turn out so flat I would have flattened the dough to begin with and put some toppings on it before baking and had a loaf of sour dough Focaccia. But that was an after thought however, if that ever happens again that is what I will do.

JEAN Yeppers we are kinda in the same weather pattern but you have been getting more snow I do think. Do you have fog today? Hope your perm turned out like you like it this time. How nice that she gave you a "quick" appointment. She probably had a cancellation and to do a perm takes a bigger block of time then a wash and set. It is sure nice to be able to help the less fortunate and it sounds like your church is up to speed on that.

Have a wonderful day Magnolias. I need to get a move on and get my "saturday" work done.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #27  

Good Morning, Flowers! I have a pot of chili on the stove and a load of laundry in the washer so am ahead for a change. It is still snowing big huge flakes, and enough that Bob shoveled the deck in order to feed the squirrels and birds. It's 3 degrees and -13 wind chill. No sunshine or melting predicted for today.

Maggie -- You are up and at 'em early this morning! I would have no clue what happened to your bread. My first thought would be old yeast, but that's just a thought. If it tastes good that's what counts! There's no fog today, that I can see anyhow. I can't see across the lake but assume it is because of the snow. I'll know better when Bob gets home from running some errands. My hairdresser had left yesterday pretty open because her family is getting ready to leave for the Ozarks for spring break. I usually have to wait at least a week to get in.

"Gma" and Susan -- What are you up to today?

I have two mysteries to solve. When I got home yesterday from getting a perm, I changed my sweatshirt because it was damp around the neckline. I just hung it on the doorknob and was going to put it in the wash this morning. I picked it up and there are black smeary spots on the right shoulder/chest and upper right arm -- nothing on my coat lining. I called the cosmetologist to see if there was a possibility that it might be hair dye from inside the cape and a suggestion for getting it out. She checked the cape to be sure, and since she uses different capes for coloring and perms, there were no marks. The spots even have a different smell to them. Second mystery is a burned black substance on the fireplace glass. It was on the outside and smeared in a half circle. Bob cleaned it off with a razor and it held together like a piece of plastic. We rarely use the fireplace and the way the window is it would be awkward to get anything on it unless a person (?) would sit in front of it and touch it, or lean something against the glass. I think Ernie did both!

I need to check my chili and change laundry loads. Have an enjoyable day and remember to smile!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-26-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's very unusual that no one has visited here by this time of the day! I hope all is well with all of you! We've been to church and it was announced there is a new pastor coming in July. He sounds promising -- just hope he realizes what he is getting into w/o an associate. I am a happy camper! Whatever spots were on my sweatshirt came out! I used a Tide pen on red so thought maybe I might have white spots afterwards. Have laundry going and have read the paper. Bob offered to go get chicken dinners from a local restaurant so I didn't have a kitchen to clean up . . . my idea of cooking!

It's another cloudy, breezy, gloomy day in my neighborhood. I have been cold since church and have my heater turned on with a hot cup of tea beside me. I need to check the dryer before the clothes get too dry. Enjoy the rest of the day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #29  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Cold Sunday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

34 degrees as I type and cloudy. Just got back from going out to eat after services and I had grilled shrimp which was very yummy with a green salad and rice. There were 6 of us and we had a great time yacking for sure. I am now sipping on a sf ff latte and just know I have good sence. Life is good. The snow is slowly melting around here which is nice. They sure made a mess of the church lawn when they put in those underground lines. Looks like Will will be doing some more landscaping come spring. They promised to bring him some good dirt to help repair the mess. When they filled the hole they put all the good dirt down first and what is on top is full of too much clay. Anyway it will all be fixed up in good time. They dug two holes, one out back and one in the front. This whole side of town is getting fiber optics put in underground.

JEAN What a nice thing for your hubby to go pick up a restarurant meal of chicken and the fixins and you don't have to go out for it. Don't your preachers get to choose where they go and then go for a "try out" to places they might want to move to? If they do then he would know about your situation there. I am glad for you that Tide pen worked out so nicely on that shirt and got those mystery spots out. Ever solved the mystery how they got there?

DONNA FAY I hope all is well with you and yours. It just isn't like you to not post "first." Makes me wonder.

Have a lovely afternoon Magnolias. Type at y'all later.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #30  

Maggie -- In December the pastors fill out a form stating they want to move on, they want to stay, or they don't care. Our senior pastor is retiring. The Associate Pastor asked to move because she felt her husband (she is white and he is half Puerto Rican and half something else nonwhite, but born and raised in Chicago) was not welcomed here with open arms. I personally like the guy but don't think he has had a job since they moved here 3 years ago. She wanted to start a Spanish speaking service and has met with some member resistance to that. Our budget for 2011 is such that we either had to eliminate the assoc. position or the director of education; the Staff Parish Committee decided to eliminate the assoc. position because they receive full benefits where the director does not. Many of the larger Methodist Churches throughout the state have done the same and then hire a part time retired pastor or a lay person trained in the ministry to pick up some of the duties. Our SP Committee meets with the district superintendent and tells him what they are looking for in a new pastor. He goes to the Conference and selects a candidate who comes here to see the church, parsonages, town, etc. The Committee interviews him, then he leaves the meeting and they discuss whether or not they want him as our next pastor if he agrees to accept the position. Most of them stay in one place around 5 years. Usually they stay within one state or they have to change conferences. He has been in Wyoming and Indiana as well as a few other Iowa churches. His first career was working with the aerospace program and he just finished his doctorate degree.