Old 02-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #7

I saw we were climibing up there so thought I would start a new thread. It is chilly here this morning but not really cold. I am not looking forward to heading north. They are expecting another round of snow for the whole time we are up there and below zero temps. I just don't have clothing for that kind of weather and am not about to go out and buy an expensive coat just to wear once. I won't have to be outdoors and it is a quick trip. We are taking towels and blankets with us for emergency in the car. When we are driving in unknown weather conditions like this I always make sure the car is outfitted just in case to keep us warm and such.

Jean: I finally heard from my sister last night. Her husband is being cremated so no graveside service. We will leave here Wednesday morning very early and come back Friday morning. Yes, my sister and son live about 10 miles apart sort of across town from each other. Jay lives in South Bend and she lives in a suburb more out in the country. We just can't afford a hotel for 5-7 days to stay and Jay doesn't have a place for us since Jackson is past babyhood and my sister doesn't either since her son lives with her now. My friend moved into a tiny place after her divorce and my other friend's mother lives with them so we have to do a hotel. Nowadays, you can't get a decent hotel for under $80 it seems. Ahh well. I think my sister was disappointed we weren't coming up for a longer time, but we just can't do it. Besides, I want to ask Kelly if she would keep Fortune and it is last moment so I don't want to impose on them for long. I buy a chuck roast/pot roast is what it says and have always had excellent tenderness and flavor. When I make a roast, I brown each side of the roast, then add two cans of ff beef broth and enough water to cover the roast about 1/3 to half way up the dutch oven and add my veggies on top. I put a lid on it and I bake it for 3 hours minimum and it is aways very yummy.

Maggie: I am a bit scatter brained right now so thanks for the recipe. Jack won't eat bean soup except pinto beans and they have to made with sugar and I think they are disgusting that way. I love navy bean soup but with Jack not eating it, I never make it.

Susan: As I said to Maggie, I apologize for not acknowledging you link. I appreciate it and when I have time want to look it over.

Look at this article. I just couldn't believe this guy lived, poor man.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/05/bu...1_lnk2%7C41806

Jack and I are going to try and get the whole house cleaned in the next couple days and get things ready to go. I feel so rushed and hate that. I am a big planner and organizer so feel stressed when I don't feel in control so to speak and I sure don't at the moment.

You all have a nice day! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 02-06-2011 at 09:19 AM.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It has finally stopped snowing! We went to early church, and then stayed for coffee and birthday cake to celebrate a 90 year old lady's birthday. She has 3 daughters, none married, and all with great personalities. I've made a potato salad, read the papers, and scooped out Ernie's potty box. I need to keep working on a livingroom cupboard. Tomorrow I begin my "work" week. Amanda's grandma died this morning so will have either a funeral or a visitation sometime this week.
"Gma" -- The guy buried in snow is one lucky guy! I'm sure your trip north will work out just fine. I hope Kelly is able to keep Fortune for you. I fixed the roast on top of the stove (because my mom always did), but sometimes I do put them in the crockpot. This was a chuck roast so I thought it would be more tender than it was.

Hope you all are enjoying a relaxing nice weather day.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 02-06-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #3  

Good evening, ladies! A nice day in the 50s.

A boring day - after church I did laundry and cleaned out the refrigerator. I have a pot roast in the oven with potatoes, parsnips, and carrots.

Jean, I make my pot roast like Faye and I use Bottom Round Roast. It has little fat. Chuck roast has too much for me. I can't stand fat in meat and it costs 5 points for 3 ounces where the bottom round is 3 for 3. I haven't had potato salad since last summer. I think I'll make some this week.

Faye, I am sorry you are so stressed right now. You are always organized so I can imagine this is very upsetting. It's too bad you can't stay with someone. Will you get to see Jackson?

Hi, Maggie!

Have a good evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Sunday Evening

GOOD AFTERNOON

It is 35 degrees and dropping. We have a winter storm warning going on right now so we are now getting some snow. Not much out of the ordinary happening this day. Went out to eat at an Italian place and I used up quite a lot of my daily points but haven't touched the extra 46 I have left yet today. We won't be eating out this evening so I will probably be making roast sandwiches for dinner with some fresh fruit. The dogs are happy to see us when we get back from anywhere when we don’t take them like church. What a welcoming committee. At the door with tails wagging so happy to see us. I placed an order in to Bakers Catalogue for a few items that they have that I cannot get around here. They are prompt in sending out the orders so I should get them soon. Nothing earth shattering but some baking products like “Everything Bread & Bagel Topping.” It is a good mix of onion, garlic and salt, plus sesame and poppy seeds. It is actually cheaper getting the mix from them than buying the ingredients and mixing it myself. And I just have to have a set of 6 of their Mini Trifle Dishes which hold 7 ounces and are thermal-resistant tempered glass, microwave and dishwasher safe. As they say “Dessert tastes even better when it arrives as an individual masterpiece.” They look like short clear glasses and will hold a serving of fresh fruit or diet pudding nicely.

DONNA FAYE Thanks for starting a new thread for us. Please be safe in your travels. You are very smart to take along a “care kit.” When we lived in really heavy snow country we always had a kit ready even if we just drove to the market. Thanks for the link to that article about that man caught in the snow. I am so happy for him that he survived that ordeal. He maybe should have had a cell phone with him ya think.

JEAN Lots of the elderly are having their time to go it seems. I always crock pot chuck roast. In fact I crock pot most all roasts. Makes the tough ones tender and the tender ones real tasty.

SUSAN Looks like all of us are talking roast. Do you have a nice lightened version of potato salad? I have one called Roasted Potato Salad that is 5 p+ and another one called Light and Fresh Potato Salad for 2 p+. Both are good and if you want me to give them to you I would be happy to do so.

Have a wonderful Monday ladies ~ my WW in the evening day. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-07-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #5  

Good morning everyone. I am in the midst of getting the house cleaned, the clothing cleaned and packed and stuff ready to leave early Wednesday morning. My sister called yesterday and wanted us to come by and have dinner with them when we got into town, but I told her I had no clue what time that would be. We have no idea what the roads are going to be like as they still are snow covered in places and there is a lot of snow between here and SB. On top of that, they are expecting another round of heavy snow before we leave and even we are supposed to get snow so I didn't want them sitting and waiting on us. She is very disapointed about it as we won't spend much time up there and hardly any with her, but it can't be helped. We just can't afford to stay for a week right now.

Susan: Yes, we will get to see Jackson, but not for very long. We plan on going up there again in June for his birthday and spend some more time up there. I will get to see my best friend for a few minutes as she is coming to the viewing/memorial service. I talked to her for almost 2 hours yesterday. We have been friends for 44 years now and are more like sisters. She was an only child and we met on our first day in jr high in music class and have been best friends since then. We don't get to see a lot of each other and don't even talk all the time, but it is one of those close bonds where it doesn't matter how much time has passed.

Maggie: Sounds like you have good dinner plans. We are having spaghetti tonight and probably just sandwiches tomorrow night since I don't want a big clean up and we have to take Fortune to Kelly's and pack the car so we can head out before the rooster crows on Wednesday.

Jean: I am so sorry about Amanda's grandma. I know my sister is going to go three rounds with nursing home over them not paying attention to her husband being in distress. She is plenty mad about it and I can't say as I blame her. I have cooked a roast on top of the stove, except to just brown it. I really like putting it in the oven for one thing, I don't have to mess with it for 3 hours!

Well gals, I need to get back to work. Jack watched the Super Bowl upstairs last night so I sat here a bit ago and watched the commericals that aired during the Super Bowl on Utube. Boy, they need some new ad execs. Usually there are at least a couple hilarious ones, but most of them I found to be just stupid and moronic. A couple were cute enough for a giggle, but not much else. TTFN!!! Faye
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Monday Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is currently 27 and sunny but feels like 19 because of the wind. I have not been outside yet this day. I probably won't go out there until I walk to the Jeep this evening to go to WW. Not much on the ticket today. I need to check what is in the fridge though. I go through it weekly whether it needs it or not. That way there aren't too many oOp surprises lurking in there. I have been expecting my meds to come in the mail any day now and come to find out after calling the perscription place that the ding bats didn't even call them in. Will called the dr office and the nurse that handles the call-ins was on the phone and they said she would call back. That was a couple hours ago. He is going to go in there and talk to them personally and get it all straightened out if she doesn't call back before noon. Someone dropped the ball in that office. Hopefully it can all be straightened out and I can get them before I run out. They need to get their act together is my opinion and I am sticking to it. My WW leader sent out an email that some of the bars and such are on sale so I will check to see if there are any that look good that I will like and buy a box tonight. A couple bucks off a box is a good deal. I certainly don't eat many of them to begin with and hate to pay full price when they just get old and I have to toss them. Fruit has been my snack of choice of late. The dogs just came in for a treat after being outside and Beanie got the same size as Ragg Mopp and has it broken up and scattered on my floor. Ah but he will eat every little morsel and Ragg Mopp won't bother him about trying to help him clean it all up. It is so neat that Ragg Mopp is patient with the little guy. He has never hurt him in their rough and tumble games.

DONNA FAYE Folks just need to understand that this isn't a vacation time when you go there for the service. These "unplanned" trips don't always allow folks to take lots of time off. You be careful on that trip. Hopefully the weather cooperates and you have smooth sailing all the way there and back.

JEAN & SUSAN A shout out to the two of you! HOWDY.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-07-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #7  

Good afternoon, ladies! 54 degrees and sunshine but they are calling for rain and snow on Thursday!

I went to the Y this morning for water aerobics and silversneakers. This evening is Bible study and tomorrow is work.

Faye, be careful on those roads! I'm glad you get to see Jackson, if only for a short time.

Maggie, I'd love to have those potato salad recipes. Thanks for offering. I have stopped buying snack bars, cereal bars, chewy bars, etc. I just don't care much for them and they are expensive for the small amount you get.

Hi, Jean!

Have a great day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Back For A Bit

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Just thought I would peek in while taking a break and sipping my latte. I am one happy camper. Well, I usually don't talk about underwear but this jazzed me, so I wanted to share it. I ordered a bra in my usual size and when it arrived I swam in it. In the tightest hooks it was huge. I had really just thought my other ones had stretched out of shape. First ~ this part makes me sad ~ the Fashion Bug in this burg is closing. However, I was able to get a couple new ones for the price of one and they fit. I am shrinking. I would have bought more but they only had the two in my new size. However, I am very thankful for the two.

SUSAN I emailed you those recipes ~ let me know if you get them, OK. I have made them both and taken them to pot-luck's and they are well received. Plus, we like them especially when we are cooking outside in the Summertime. Great with a small piece of steak or a burger. Hope you like them.

Bye folks. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-07-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:30 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's been another cold day in my neighborhood and supposed to be -10 tonight. I worked in the church office this morning; it was rather crazy. Two people died this morning; one being the 90+ year old mother of the single organist who lived with her and took care of her. This afternoon I went to P.E.O. Tomorrow is all day at church. The furnace guys are there hooking up to the computer system some way so that they can be controlled from the office computer. We have 11 furnaces which I didn't know. The money balanced so I was happy about that!

Susan -- I did comment, to Bob, that I thought this roast had more fat on/in it than usual. I will look for a bottom round roast next time. BOO HISS at your 54 degrees today! It's 1 degree and -15 wind chill here as I'm typing. Congrats on another day of exercise -- enjoy your Bible study group tonight.

Maggie -- Ernie is usually sitting right by the door when I get home. I'm sure he must hear the garage door because he's usually stretching like he's been sleeping while I was gone. I don't trust the USPS to get my meds by mail. I hope you get your's in time. I would like your potato salad recipes too, please.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you will get to see Jackson and your best friend if only for a short time. My favorite Super Bowl ad was the little boy in the Darth Vader (?) costume and the remote start car. I have my fingers crossed that it won't snow on you while you are gone. We have a storm moving in from the west but it is a few days out yet.

Bob is at practice until 6, but guess I will unload the dishwasher and think about supper. Hope you all have a relaxing evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Back on Monday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

JEAN I sent you those recipes by email. Don't you love having a furry little greeting committe when you get home from work. Happy to see you. I don't mind getting my meds through the mail at all because they usually get them here promptly. The folks at the docs office dropped the ball and didn't even order them. It works much better when we just call in the order but she didn't give me perscriptions last time for more than 3 months so I had to get new ones and they like to call it in. Hopefully they got it right this time. If not I can deal with it next month when I go in for some lab work.

Type at y'all later.

It is later and I am back from WW. Showed a loss of point 6. Not a whole pound but I will rejoice for it is going in the right direction.

Last edited by Maggie; 02-07-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #11  

Maggie -- on a loss tonight! Any loss is a GREAT loss! I know you will add to it this coming week. Thanks for the recipes.

Last edited by Jean; 02-07-2011 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:05 AM   #12  

Good morning to you ladies. It is 30 right now and supposed to stay in the 30's the rest of the week. It snowed heavily here yesterday morning, but warmed up to near 40 so it all melted by evening. We are supposed to get more snow tomorrow. We have had more day snow then we usually do in a season.

Kelly is coming with us so she will be spending the night as we are going to leave around 5 am. I told her she could wear her jammies in the car if she wished! She thinks we drive too slow (we drive 5 over the speed limit and no more) and it takes us too long, but I told her we are old so have to stop to go more often on top of the fact I take a hb diuretic which makes me go all the time. So, she is going to have to put up with us old folks!

Susan: I have started my all important "lists" so I am back on track being organized. I look forward to seeing Jackson. He should get part of his Valentine's gift today. He is now all into Ironman so I bought him some Ironman books and a removable sticker book. I don't want Alicia killing me when he puts stickers on his bedroom wall.

Jean: Sounds like you had a busy day at the church. Jack had to work outside on the pit hog yesterday and was cold and bushed when he came home. He says he can't wear the thin gloves and do his work so he has to work barehanded and he gets really cold. He was still chilled when we went to Target last night to finish our trip shopping. We have dual heat controls in the car, but I cranked them both up to 80 and turned the fan on full blast to try and warm the poor man up. I like that Dart Vader commercial too and I liked the Cars.com where the cars are talking about how they are listed for sale and their attributes and a couple walk past a big SUV and the woman says, "It has a big rear end," and the SUV says, "EXCUSE ME?"

Maggie: Glad you went down in size. It is always a nice surprise when that happens. They put Jack on a med called Dexilant for acid reflux and like an idiot I took it over to Walgreens to fill. They were supposed to call the dr and get authorization to fill, but they somehow screwed it up because I called to find out the price for the prescription and it was $100 for 30 pills. I told them no way was I paying that so Jack is going to have to go back and get her to write another prescription and a non formulary form so we can fill it through Express Scripts and not pay that much.

I will talk to you gals when I get back. Here's hoping we have good road conditions to travel in and can get there and back safely. I am not looking forward to all that snow though! Faye
Old 02-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is 2 degrees and snowing. We have about 4 inches now but it won't last if the weather goes like they say ~ warming up the rest of the week and be 50 by Saturday. Will, of course, had to go to the coffee shop and buy some coffee beans. Just had to get out in it and that is as good of a reason to do it as any. I don't like getting snow in my shoes for the path to the Jeep is where I would walk and I don't have any boots, so there. I have got to do some menu planning for the week this day ~ I have some shrimp in the freezer and Will doesn't eat that so he can have something else. Like some bean soup maybe. That will take care of today now to figure out the rest of the week. I ended up buying a box of the Ranch Mulitgrain Crisps at WW last evening and will try them after while. Their food products at the meetings are spendy but when they knock off a couple dollars I will to try them. At the store I always use coupons when buying the WW products. They gave us a sheet of them at meeting last night. I like the WW cream cheese in those little tubs and try to always have some on hand. Looks like Will has finished off the loaf of sourdough bread so I will make him another today. I had a slice of it and it was sooooooo good. I am not much of a bread eater unless I have a sandwich and use bread that is very low in points. This recipe I use for sourdough is lightened but I just like it so much I stay out of it for the most part. Guess you would call fresh baked bread a definite red light food for me. But I have learned to handle it. Yeppers. When I get off here I will go start a loaf mixing in my little bread machine. I have a good cook book from Better Homes and Gardens called Eat well Lose Weight that is filled with good recipes worthy of changing the stats to points + which I have been working on. It is neat that I am finding recipes that I have made and made comments in the book on. Little blurbs of how I liked it to try again or not bother. Anyway I am not marithoning it. It is now noon oclock and I opened a bag of those chips I mentioned earlier and at one and they are tasty. I will buy them again if they are on sale next week. They will be great with a salad or soup or dip. Yep, tasty little things. I need to put them out in the kitchen because I have a rule not to eat in my office. But I thought just one chip wouldn't hurt.

DONNA FAYE That is good that you observe the speed limit. Especially in inclimate weather. Sliding into a ditch isn't fun ~ been there ~ done that. I've said this before and I will say it now ~ Be safe. That should be fun having Kelly along. Surely the doc can perscribe for Jack one of the other meds that work the same that don't cost an arm and a leg.

JEAN & SUSAN Hope y'all are doing fine this day and staying warm.

Type at y'all later.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #14  

Good Evening, Flowes! It's been a long COLD day in my corner of the world. When I drove to church this morning the car said it was -20 and the radio said -45 wind chill! We even made the Des Moines radio station for being so cold. I had to make some church phone calls tonight and am ready to head towards bed. I have to "open up" at 7:30, for the furnace guys, tomorrow morning, but am done at noon. We are going to Sioux City for Amanda's grandma's visitation and then out to eat with Beth and family.

"Gma" -- If Kelly is going with you, where is Fortune going? I missed the SUV commercial; that must have been when I was dozing in the recliner. Have a safe trip and enjoy seeing your family visit even if it is for a funeral.

Maggie -- Hmmm -- fresh bread -- yum, yum! That would be a major red light food for me! Bread, potatoes, and pasta are all my favorites, and I really try to limit them. I visited the weather channel today, and could see the white stuff in your neck of the woods. It isn't supposed to do anything here through the weekend.

I'm not sure if I will make in here tomorrow or not. My house is a mess and I need to regroup and clean a bit before the kids come on Saturday. I had planned on getting groceries tomorrow afternoon but that won't happen now. Ah, to be more organized in my lifetime!

Susan -- Hope you had a good day at both jobs!

Have a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Wonderful Cold Wednesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

Seems strange coming in here and not seeing Donna Fay's first post. It is cold today with a degree of 7 with a -11 wind chill. We got about 4 inches of snow yesterday and it won't melt with these temperatures. It is so funny when Beanie comes in from out back his face is all covered in snow with just two little slits for eyes. He likes to burrow in it. He could actually get himself burried in it. Little scudder has found a way to get up on our bed. This morning he woke me too early with his exuberance. Thankfully he does still sleep in his little bed cushion under a corner chair in the bedroom. We have a low table at the end of our bed that holds the folded up bed covering & pillows in the night. Somehow that covering was pulled off the table and so Beanie could just jump up on the table then up on the bed. He was so proud of himself. I don't have a clue what I want to do this day. I received my brown tulip cup cake papers today which makes me want to make some high fiber muffins. I know I have a box of Krustaez blueberry muffins I can make. I always add a little soluable fiber to them. They are point friendly. Will will surely like that. I think I will do steak, baby potatoes and a nice green salad for dinner. It is nice when I can run through my head and see what I have in the freezer to cook for dinner. I have some small 2 point + roasted potatoes from Schwans that are good. I make myself 1 and Will 2 of them.

JEAN Got your e-mail and know you are staying warm with that little space heater at work. Be safe in your travel to SC today.

DONNA FAYE You be safe in your travels now. The weather out there is frightful.

SUSAN Being our exercise queen how are you doing this day.

Type at y'all later.