Old 02-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #91  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hey ladies -

I just did a lunchtime yoga class and I feel great! It's a very basic class, with lots of stretching, and it helps my back to feel a little more limber. I just have to remember the moves so I can do them at home. The instructor is really good and I explained about my back issues, so she's always offering modifications to make the moves more comfortable. After work today, I'm going to do some Wii Fit.

Laura - I agree with you about learning where our food comes from...too scary. I feel I've eaten more than my share of chemicals and preservatives over the years, so I should be very well preserved into old age. I wish my feeling under par was the result of too much partying...but no. I had less than 1/2 a beer (it was a new brand and I didn't care for it at all...not even enough to finish the bottle). DH has been sick with a fever, and I think I'm getting it. Too funny that you're using bf's snuggy as research for yours!! With the bitter cold temps we're having, you're smart to be making snuggies. So how did you prepare the chicken? Inquiring minds want to know.

Annie - I am taking my vitamins...lots of them...Vit C, D, you name it, I'm taking it. Your dream was very weird indeed. Your veggie soup sounds delish. Since I'm feeling under the weather, will you bring me some of your yummy home cooking?

Shad - I do hope Mick gets better soon. Those resistant infections can be tough to fight, but Mick sounds ornery enough to fight this off...he should be okay.

Time to get back to it....I so wish I could just go home and sleep for the day.

Lots of love,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:48 PM   #92  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

CHELLE....you would just chit a brick if I showed up on your doorstep with a pot of veggie soup. You never know.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #93  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Mick is doing just fine. He will be out this week. The infection is not receding but he is fretting himself about his business and is making things worse for himself. Silly male! He will end up with a mouthful of ulcers and stomach pains if he doesn't get out soon. He will be on crutches for a while. The cellulitis is a type of staph infection I think. I do know when he told me about it, I thought he said cellulite. I told him not to worry about a couple of dimples on his butt. We'd still love him anyway.
Who knows what muck was stirred up from those waters. There were pontoons, trees, dead cows, yachts, restaurants, car bodies and walkways floating down that river and who knows whether there was any sewer leakage or chemical breakouts. The Aus Med Assn has been warning of dire consequences ever since. But then the AMA is more paranoic than the entire west wing of the Oxley Rehab Centre for the criminally insane, so that is not surprising. My doctor and I come almost to blows about much lesser things. Before you all get anti or depressed about my hygiene levels, I do insist on regular handwashing and hygiene cleanliness in my kitchen, but I do not have sanitised, antibacterial, germ killing, antiseptic, anti anything pumpless soap pumps in my every room. Personally I think that we worry too much about so many germs that we have managed to undo what our ancestors knew all those years ago where some bad bacteria actually helped with immunity to germs. We didn't get sick very often years ago and we didn't get jabs for any scratch or stitches for every cut. We ate dirt and drank river water and never had stomach upsets. As a kid, it was customary to get a cold every April, May with the change of the season from Summer to Winter. That set us up for immunity from flu and fever for the rest of the year. I seem to remember that the only time I went to the doctor was to get an arm set and plastered or to have warts chopped off. I follow much the same procedure today. Except for the bone breaks. Don't have too many of them touch wood. No one has ever complained about food poisoning at my place.

Happy - all this wonderful food for the work manager and her mother. So sorry to hear of the problems her father has. Hope she gets enough stuff to keep her going for a time because she certainly won't feel like coping in the kitchen.

Michelle - good for you with the yoga and stretching. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Annie - It would be interesting to stand beside you and show up at Michelles place with a pot of soup! Let me know when you are going to do it.
Buying coffee for the troops??? Geez, wish I worked in your office. We only get the revolting instant variety.

Laura - as far as food goes, I just read the labels not the books. If it is 'Made in Australia', or 'manufactured in Australia', I give it a miss. If it is 'mixture of local and imported products' I give it a miss simply because there may be only 1 'local' product in the mix and if you ask, no one can tell you where it is imported from. Produce of Australia, or NZ, or sometimes US or Canada then I will probably buy it. Anything that comes from China is not on my list, nor is much from the Asian continent. The only exception there is if I need something ethnic when cooking Japanese or Thai or whatever and I can't source local. Then it usually comes in a bottle or frozen, which may help or maybe not.

Ceejay - I have a ball less mouse. But it always seems to get a lot dirtier than the original mouse somehow.

Mel - I can never remember my dreams. I really envy those whose can because I reckon mine would be doozies.

Where's Ellen??

Okay - gotta get on with the day. It looks really nice out there today. A bit more paper shredding however is on the menu. I'll be back.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #94  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Shad
The only thing I can remove is where the batteries are installed. Can you take these ball less mouses apart?
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I'm so ready to go home. Come on 7 p.m.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 PM   #96  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Wow - got a call this evening - my manager's dad passed away. He was doing well yesterday, contracted pneumonia overnight and because right now the chemo has wiped out his immune system, he had no way to fight it. Very sad. He was only a few years older than DH and she and her dad were very, very close. I'm sure she must be a total wreck.

This is why DH and I are trying so hard to get a few years left to really enjoy life and each other before we are too old, sick or dead to do it. The "stuff" (material things) in life just really don't matter.

On another note we are supposed to get a snow storm tomorrow. They cannot figure out just what it is we are supposed to get, tho all the weather folks say snow. Some say 1 inch, the gloom and doomers say 6 inches. I hope it's a non event like it was last week.

Anyway, I am off to bed, just thought I'd check in. Goodnight all.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 PM   #97  
Choose your hard

And Shad, I'm glad to hear that Mick is on the rebound. You don't realize that those flood waters can be rather hazardous. One should not be punished for helping out one's neighbors...
Old 02-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #98  
Choose your hard

the entire west wing of the Oxley Rehab Centre for the criminally insane

somehow I'm going to work this into work conversations in the near future. Something along the lines when talking about one of the latest and greatest new edicts.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #99  
Annie - Indiana

Morning all....

Thought I would post this morning before all H breaks loose. Worked last night. Off tonight, but have a ton to get done..unload/reload dishwasher, dry towels that I washed this morning, fold, put away. Need to do a load of dress clothes too. That is a little more involved as I do not dry my dress clothes, they are go on hangers wet to dry. Nail appt at 5, tanning...man my night off is already gone. I am really really really going to try to be in bed by 9pm, getting up in the mornings has been very hard to say the least. Altho I did pretty good this morning and was actually to work by 7:20...whew who.

Shaddie...I agree with you on all the sanitary stuff going on these days. I can remember as a kid in the summertime going out to play directly after breakfast, forgetting about lunch-but maybe sitting in the apple tree eating green apples, play till almost dusk, coming in for dinner, and maybe or maybe not bathing before bed, depending if we could get away with it or not. Now I had more issues than most kids till I had my tonsils/adnoids out, then it was smooth sailing after that. Mostly, we didn't worry about dirt and germs. Glad Mick is on the mend. Staff infection is VERY dangerous.

Happy...so sorry to hear of your boss's dad passing. My heart goes out to her and I feel her pain. Sweet prayers. Good luck with the snow storm, as you know the weather people do not predict very well, as established in prior post in the past, you and I could be weatherwomen!

Heys to everyone else...I will try to check in later.

Good Morning HUGS and LOVE,
Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #100  

Height: 5'5"

Good morning chickies!

Been fighting a nasty bug...think I have to go to the dr to be checked out...Definitely has moved into my lungs. Will try to catch up and do personals soon...Hope everyone is doing well!!
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #101  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi ladies -

My back and legs have been so stiff lately. I keep doing my stretches and exercises and even yoga...but then they just stiffen right back up. Not painful stiff...just annoying that it takes me a bit when I stand up to be able to start walking normally. I don't know if it's this frassin' cold weather in my bones/muscles or what. When I left my house this morning it was -2 actual temp, which is better than the -12 they predicted. I had a scare on the 5 minute drive to the freeway...one of the roads had drifted over to approximately a foot deep, which is just about the extent of my car's ground clearance...so I drove through it, and I could hear/feel the bottom of my car grazing the top of the drifted snow. Then all of a sudden, my battery light comes on and my headlights dim a lot and it feels as though I'm losing power. I didn't lose power completely, and after 20 seconds or so, the battery light went off and the headlights brightened up. I turned around and headed back home because as cold as it was, if I was going to get stuck I wanted to be closer to home. I called DH on my cell phone. He's so good with cars. I asked him what could've caused that, and he said that the alternator probably got wet from driving through the drift. He asked if it had done it again, and I said no. He said that the driving probably got the water/snow off the alternator and I'm probably okay to drive to work...so I turned back around and headed back to the freeway. I had to drive over the same drift (as there is no other way to get to the freeway), but at least it was a teeny bit lower because of my car plowing through it on the first time through. I made it to work just fine, and I'm sure it'll be fine to go home. This is the only downside of living outside the city...there is so much open space and farm fields that we get a lot of blowing and drifting snow, making the roads "fun" to drive on even days after a storm. You never know what the road conditions will be like in the country.

Annie - You're right...I would prolly fall over if you and Shad came to my house to deliver veggie soup. Since I believe you just might do it, I'd better get the house clean and decluttered...something I should do anyway, since my DMIL will be here in a couple months. And since my back insists I do cleaning and other stuff in fits and bursts (short periods of time), it may take me a couple months to get the house ready for DMIL. When she's not here, the guest room becomes a storage room. I'm glad you have tonight off from CVS, but I hope you get some time to relax while tackling that to do list. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get to bed early.

Shad - I'm glad to hear Mick is doing better and will be out of the hospital this week. I'd be happier for him if the infection were receding though. Too funny about the "dimples on his butt". When you mentioned the horrible infections stemming from contaminated flood waters, I got to thinking about all that could be in those waters. Scary stuff. Loved your "more paranoic" line. You're right...there's hygiene and there's taking it too far. Though I do admit to using A LOT of hand sanitizer at work after touching handrails on the staircases, etc. With 4,500 or so people in this building, chances are at least 25% are sick and didn't stay home at any given time. I've been healthier since washing my hands more frequently and using the sanitizer at work. Though I'm thinking of taking a "mental health" day soon.

Ceejay - I may be a computer programmer, but I'm a chicken when it comes to computer hardware. I'd be reluctant to take anything apart, especially a wireless mouse (which it sounds like you have since it needs batteries).

Happy - I'm so very sorry to hear about your manager's dad, especially since he was so young. Losing my parents was the worst time of my life. It was especially hard to lose my dad. Good for you and DH to try and enjoy life and those close to you to the fullest now...because tomorrow is never guaranteed. I hope you don't get as much snow as predicted. My DH said that their company's office in Kennett, MO will likely close down for the day if the storm is bad.

Ellen - I hope you feel better very soon. I hate chest/lung colds!

Mel - I'm sure you'll be checking in soon, so I'll check back later to see what you're up to.

Love and hugs to all,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #102  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

GOOD MORNING SUNSHINES
TOO COLD TO STAY DOWNSTAIRS SO I QUICK RAN DOWN. MAILED LETTERS AND RAN BACK UP. LOBBY WAS EMPTY....WONDER WHY HOW MANY DAYS TILL SPRING??
THE ONLY THING I REMEMBER FROM YESTERDAY IS OFFICE DRAMA VIA TELEPHONE. WHEN IT ENDED I WAS HAPPY. I THINK THE MEERTINGS ARE NEXT WEEK. WAITING FOR CONFIRMATION. PROBABLY BE LONGER ONES CAUSE IT'S FOR 2 MONTHS. BUT THAT'S OK WITH ME. WAS NICE TO HAVE JANUARY OFF.
I AM NOT DOING TOO BADLY WITH LESS SUGAR & CARBS. I HVEN'T BOUGHT ANY TREATS DOWN THE STREET. THAT IN ITSELF IS A FRASSING MIRACLE.
I NEED TO GET BREAKFAST. TUMMY IS HUNGRY.
HAVE A GREAT DAY

ANNIE....THE COFFEE SOUNDED GOOD. DID THEY LIKE IT? HAD A OLAUGH AT YOUR "TOSS IT IN THE POT" SOUP! GLAD IT CAME OUT GOOD. HAS IT STOPPED SNOWING OUT THERE?? SENDING MANY BLESSING AND HOPE THE REARRANGEMENT WORKS OUT AND YOU FIND A HAPPY CUBICLE ON MONDAY! AS FOR THE DREAM...I CAN SEE BOTH THINGS ARE ON YOUR MIND AND THEY GOT MIXED UP IN THE SAME DREAM. MINDS ARE A SCARY PLACE TO GO!!

CEEJAY.....I HAVE WIRELESS TOO....SO GUESS WE HVE NO BALLS!! NOTHING IS NEW IN MY LIFE EITHER...IT CAN BE A VERY GOOD THING!!

MICHELLE...SO SORRY TO THEAR YOU'RE FEELING UNWELL.
I HOPE YOU WILL BE FEELING BETTER AND WARMS SOON. AS FOR THE PACKERS...I HEARD THE MEN SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT SOME PLAYERS PAST DEEDS AND HOW THE NEWS CHANNELS ON CABLE KEPT BRINGING CRAP UP. I DIDN'T REALLY PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THEY WERE SAYING BUT HOW THE MEN FEEL THEY GET A BAD RAP AT TIMES. I CAN IMAGINE A STADIUM FULL OF FANS FOR ANY TEAM!! MUST HAVE BEEN LOTS OF SCREAMING.

LAURA....THAT'S GOOD THAT YOU'RE LEARNING SO MUCH FROM PBS....YOU CAN BE THE COMMUNE CHEF!!! YOU CRACKED ME UP WITH THE SNUGGLE TEST!! DID THE BF ACTUALLY FALL FOR THAT??? LOL GOOD IDEA WITH THE SANDWICH....IT'S FREEZING OUTSIDE!!!

NEED TO GO TO THE NEXT PAGE.....................

Last edited by MELODY525; 02-09-2011 at 09:01 AM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #103  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

SHAD....CELLULITIIS CAN BE A NASTY THING. HOPE MICK TAKES GOOD CARE OF HIMSELF AND DOES WHAT HE'S TOLD. NOT THAT I DO EITHER! BUT I DO HOPE HE GETS WELL SOON. AS FOR CLEANLINESS... I DON'T BELIEVE IN ALL THE PUMP JUNK EITHER AND NEITHER DO ALMOST ALL MY DOCTORS. THEY TELL ME TO MAKE SURE I WASH MY HANDS AFTER I'VE BEEN TO THE HOSPITAL BUT ONLY BECAUSE OF SO MANY STAPH INFECTIONS NOWADAYS. BUS AS FOR WORK AND HOME...THEY NIX IT. WE NEED SOME GERMS TO KEEP OUR IMMUNE SYSTEMS GOING AND I THINK THAT WHY SO MANY PEOPLE ARE FIGHTING CONSTANTLY TO STAY WELL. BETWEEN OVERUSE AND ABUSE OF ANTIBIOTICS & THIS PUMP STUFF, WE'RE SETTING OURSELVES UP FOR A MIGHTY BIG PROBLEM OF BAD IMMUNE SYSTEMS. FULLY AGREE WITH YOU.

HAPPY....I AM SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT HER DAD PASSED AWAY. SENDING HER A GOOD THOUGHT. I HEAR YA ON SPENDING TIME WITH DH AND FAMILY NOW AND LETTING THE MATERIAL THINGS GO. WE THINK THAT BUYING STUFF WILL MAKE US HAPPY. ONLY BECAUSE ADVERTISERS BRAIN WASHED US!! GOOD FOR YOU SEEING THE LIGHT...NOW SEND THE LIGHT TO ME!!

ELLEN....SORRY TO HEAR YOU'RE FEELING SICK AND HOPE YOU GET WELL VERY SOON AND SEE THE DR!!!

MICHELLE....SCARY STUFF WHEN OUT IN THIS COLD AND THE CAR ACTS UP. GLAD DH WAS RIGHT AND EVERYTHING IS OK. NOT A GOOD THING TO GET STUCK WITH TEMPS BY YOU SO VERY LOW. HOPE THE YOGA HELPS OUT EVENTUALLY. WHAT DOES THE DR SAY ABOUT THE LEGS??? MAYBE THEY NEED MORE TIME TO LIMBER UP AND STAY THAT WAY?? BE CAREFUL NOT TO INFLAME THEM EVERY DAY...THEY NEED TIME TO HEAL AFTER EXERCISING. MAYBE ONE DAY ON AND ONE DAY OFF LIKE MY PT SAID? ANYHOW,...... SENDING A

ANNIE....I DO SOME CLOTHES LIKE THAT TOO WITH THE HANGARS. UNLESS I LOSE WIEGHT, I CAN'T DRY SOME OF MY CLOTHES....THEY MIGHT SHRINK!

Last edited by MELODY525; 02-09-2011 at 03:20 PM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #104  
Annie - Indiana

MELLIE....I just think air drying clothes makes them last longer than if you put them in the dryer and beat the heat out of them. THey loved the coffee, the pump thermo was plumb empty this morning, so I made more ;^)/ Oh and I just counted this morning, only 38 days till Spring!!! 64 days left of tax season!!

CHELLE...good grief, I hate it when car warning lites come on, I immediately see $$ signs. I am sure your DH is right about the car. I had something like that happen one time to me when I had to drive through a huge water puddle/lake....Yes, you might get your spare bedroom prepared, never know what Shaddie and I might do....wink wink. It seems like time just flew by and MIL just went back home....I know you love it when she is there, that is awesome.

Ellen...get to feeling better, seems several people here in the office have the same crap.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #105  

Morning. Happy Hump Day everyone.

Shad, you're lucky to be over the hump already! LOL, cellulite vs. cellulitis. I agree we've probably done ourselves no good with all the anti-bacterializing. Plain old cleanliness used to be good enough... I have a sanitizing spray in my purse I rarely use, but I keep a pack of moist wipes in my backpack.

Happy - Sorry to hear about your boss's dad. Very sad. You're so right - it's time together that is most precious - certainly more so than all the stuff we accumulate.

Michelle - Sorry you're feeling stiff, but I'm glad it's not a pain-related stiffness. I'm sure the yoga moves will prove helpful. Many times there's nothing better than a good stretch. Glad your car is okay and you got to work safe and sound! Oh, the chicken recipe was just pan frying it skin side down in a skillet for 5 min, then baking it skin side up in a 450 F oven for 15 - 20 min/til done. Quick sauce was whisked olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, red pepper flakes.

Ellen - Sorry you got a bug. As much as the sinus congestion is bothersome, it's when it gets to the lungs that it's really awful. Hope you get to see the doc soon for some relief. Feel better soon!!

Ceejay - Is it your weekend now, or do you have one more day??

Annie - Once again your to-do list is making me tired. Re laundry - I air dry a big chunk of mine too - helps it last longer. But it's definitely more time-consuming!! Glad the office liked the coffee! Thanks for the countdown to spring. We need that. I have to get on those taxes - I have plans for that refund!

Mel - Yeh, I agree that the overuse of antibiotics has created some real superbugs that are getting harder and harder to beat. What people catch in a hospital can be scarier than what they go in for!!

Well the train was late this morning. The saving grace what that it was after our stop boarded the train. The first conductor message was that they didn't know what was wrong or how long the delay would be. How helpful (yeh, that's sarcasm). The 2nd message was good news/bad news - we're moving now, but we can only go 30 mph instead of 70. Oh well, we eventually arrived.

Day two of these frigid temps. Brought a frozen entree to work for lunch. Looking forward to the weekend - temps in the 30's are forecast - whoo hoo!!

Yesterday afternoon I did another stair climb - down from the 5th floor to the 1st, then up to 6 and back down to 5. Huffing and puffing after that. Hope it gets easier! Last night I also did one BE workout, plus a set of crunches on the ball and maybe 45 seconds w/ the hula hoop.

Bf visited the sausage shop for Polish sausage yesterday and we broiled some and had sandwiches. One bite about halfway through sent a zing of pain through the same tooth just like it did last summer. But after that - no pain, and no sensitivity - I totally forgot about it and this morning have had cold water and hot tea w/ no issues. Just somehow hit/compressed onto a nerve. So I think that does it as far as eating foods like salami and sausage. In fact, when I told my dentist about it after the first time, he told me the exact same thing happened to another patient when he was eating a brat at a sports event! Not to gross anyone out, but the fact that these foods can contain tiny bits of hard cartilage in them can cause this, and I really don't want to deal with it anymore. Definitely going to back off on this kind of stuff. It'll be healthier for me all around!

No plans tonight. I'll do another BE workout. Better get this thing posted and make up for lost time.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote