Old 03-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #76  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Let's try this again

I was doing well with the tracking and staying within my calorie range and then it all went kaphlooey. I guess the main thing is that I just hadn't gotten enough good days under my belt yet. SO. Time for a 21-Day challenge and today is Day One.

I will:
Track my food
Eat only at the table when alone
Do lowish carb and NO unhealthy carbs (which, for me, includes wheat)
10k steps a day
At least 10 mins yoga a day
Weight training 3X a week
Gallons of water

WSW, I hope that spring works its magic and you feel well! Happy belated birthday and may your celebrations be pure delight.

Kat, interesting about the posture/mood connection. I was reading recently about an exercise to stimulate serotonin: You just sit on an armless chair, hunch right over, exhaling and then arch your back, shoulders and head back, inhaling and repeat for a minute. I was doing it daily for a while and will resume because it really does seem to make a difference.

K, lies - today's the day. Let's hit it!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #77  

Lax, lax, lax - all around. Have been enjoying guests, eating out, spring (while it lasted) and have 4 or 5 times in recent weeks found me back facing the dreaded 2 on the scale. Now I have worked too hard to see that 1 to let it go so I will need to do better. I was at 199.6 today and ranged this week from 197.6 to 200.6.

Heading to Pville tomorrow (always bad for my body) to see yet another show (this time Broadway music) in which P - almost 15 will be entertaining

Am loving my new pool - almost spa-like. Am heading there now. Will catch up anon.

to all Royals.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #78  

Just scooting in before bed for a report: Day 2 down!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #79  
a work in progress...

Default sneakin' in...

Oh, T*G*I*F!!!! What a week! Stress, stress, and more stress at work, bleeeaaacchhh... So glad it's over. Moving on.........

Am anticipating a good weigh in tomorrow, but will take whatever comes my way, in stride, and will keep moving forward. I have no intention of quitting til this job is done. It may take much longer than I'd like it to, but, I will just keep putting one foot in front of the other until I get there.

A few things I've noticed that help to spur me on:

*I can zip my coat without 'sucking it in' like I had to earlier in the winter. I bought this coat, at the end of the season, two years ago. Couldn't even close it then, but it was such a good price, I had to get it! I bought another one that fit, at the same time, and now that one is too big and this one fits nicely. WIN!

*I was scratching under my chin the other day, and noticed that it was much less 'fleshy' than it used to be! Spent a good 5 minutes examining my jawline in wonder!

*I go outside everyday, at lunchtime, for my walk, and noticed today that I'm moving at a much brisker pace, and just generally feel much stronger. Pretty sure the lunges I've been doing each morning, in my qi gong routine, have contributed to this turn of events.

*A co-worker commented that it looks like I'm losing weight! I hugged her on the spot!

So, all in all, a good week!

I have a easy little recipe to share, learned last week @ WW. I was very skeptical, but gave it a shot, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, here you go:
Crispy Kale Chips
Take a bunch of kale, wash well and dry thoroughly. Remove the stems and tear into bite size pieces. Place on a cookie sheet, spray lightly with olive oil Pam, (or use a mist-er) sprinkle with salt, bake @ 350 for about 10-15 minutes til crisp. Surprisingly tasty and salty and satisfying!! I ate the whole batch!

Anagram, your spa-like pool sounds heavenly... keep on splashin'!

Arabella, I sat right here and did the deep breathing exercise and realized it's very similar to one of the moves in my am routine, only you're standing while you do that one. Very stimulating.

Okay, I have to go find my 'weigh in pants.' I don't know if I've mentioned them here, but they are the ugliest color, sort of a cross between gray, brown, & olive green drab. They are very light though, and I wouldn't dream of weighing in in anything else... certainly not jeans!

Wishing all s, hither and yon, a wonderful weekend!
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM   #80  

Thumbs up Ok, Day 1 again

Nothing truly catastrophic, but I did eat what I'd estimate as 3 oz. of cheese while I was grating it for the healthy, low-carb pizza for dinner last night. So, back to Day 1.

I'm going to spend next week in Halifax with DH. Had been sort-of loath to go spend a week working from a hotel room but... getting head around the concept. And I'll be able to leave the hotel room, get my 10k steps (still unbroken streak since Christmas, yes ma'am) around Halifax. Do some window shopping. No cooking dinner, either!

Noticing yesterday that my hips felt less padded and, sure enough, when I put on a jacket I hadn't worn for a couple of weeks, there was room in it that hadn't been there before. So, progress. I'm much firmer, too, which I always reckon has got to correlate to improvement, whether scale-sanctioned or not.

Anagram, even if 2 reappears, you're still bouncing up about 5 pounds down from where you were not too long ago. And, inevitably, we bounce around a bit.

Your spa-like pool sounds blissful! Wishing DH's hotel had a pool. There is a sauna and a whirlpool, though, and I intend to make good use of it.

KatrinaBGood, yay for you getting through a stressful week and expecting a good WI at the end of it!

I am dubious about the kale chips, I must say. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? When I made them, the taste was about right but they were a combo of two textures -- still slightly chewy/ crumble to dust in your mouth. I've heard so many people sing their praises that I'd be willing to give them another try but... I dunno. Thinking I might try doing veggie chips instead.

Ah, you inspire me with the qi qong workouts. They really do set your energy up, don't they? Must start doing them again.

BWAHAHAHA on the weigh-in pants -- I had similar, and would refrain from wearing earrings, etc. Every ounce counts!

WSW

K, lovelies, I must away. I'm in putter mode, so the house will be welcoming for us on Friday. Have a splendid weekend!

Last edited by Arabella; 03-26-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #81  
wsw

hi arabella-hope your week in halifax is going well. thanks for the birthday/well wishes.

hello kat-i know what you mean about those weigh in pants. it's important to have the lightest-weight weigh in gear, that's for sure.

hi anagram-your spa-like pool sounds grand.

and hello to kaylets, amarantha, and all lovely queenlies, both near and far.

i decided i not only need a "fresh start" week day. i think i need a fresh start year. every time i get back on track for a little while, i slide off pretty easily. i know when other folks don't feel well, they eat less, but i am definitely the opposite. even though these past few months have been challenging physically, i sure have been turning to comfort food rather than losing my appetite. ok, enough of that, i say. i am starting to feel better than i have in a while, and whether that lasts for any amount of time-or not-i am back on the dainty portion wagon. i am going back to my old tried and true tricks (which i somehow had developed amnesia regarding). ok, the amnesia is cured and i am going to stop beating myself up about weight i have gained back, and move on. it is amazing to me, though, how often i have had to learn some lessons over and over again. ah well! this being human thing is not the easiest to accept sometimes. so--onward and downward scale-wise.

thurs. i get to finally celebrate my birthday officially, and i am looking forward to doing that. well, take care, all. i am thinking of you.
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #82  

All goes well here. I got almost 15000 steps yesterday, climbed Citadel Hill and poked around the old fortress there.

While I was poking around the stores I came across a silver ring similar to this one (more open):

I think I'll go get it today.

All OP on food choices, too. I've let the tracking slide but will get back to it when I get home again.

WSW, it's just so much easier when we feel well! I could probably count the number of times I've lost my appetite on one hand.

I would love to get to the point that I give myself what I need instead of having food be the default. That's the goal. So often, it's a rest or at least a break from the computer. And then there's that "fun" thing -- but seems like a hard one when we don't feel well, too.

Ah yes, some lessons take a lot of learning. Let's be compassionate with ourselves and just keep trying!

to all Queenies. Let's make this a good one!

Last edited by Arabella; 03-30-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #83  
a work in progress...

Default S*a*t*u*r*d*a*y*!

So happy it's here! I've been saying that a lot lately, haven't I? Hmmm... work has been somewhat stressy of late, but I happy to report that I haven't turned to my drug of choice, ICE CREAM, in quite a while! Actually I haven't put anything into my mouth, after dinner, in quite a while either, and it is making a difference.

wsw! I just saw the Dainty Portion Wagon dropping you off!! So happy to see you back in the Palace! So happy you've found the cure for your amnesia, I've had to drink that same potion many times as well!

Arabella~ lovely picture! Is that Citadel Hill? That must have been some hike! I have to tell you that your words have really inspired me today: I would love to get to the point that I give myself what I need instead of having food be the default. That IS the goal! Thank you for putting it so well!

Anagram...hoping all is well in P-ville! Today is a lovely day in my neck o' the woods, I'm sure yours as well! Sunny with temps up to the 50s... SO ready for Spring and thoughts of gardens of peace and tranquility!

Okay, I'm off to WW. Hitting the late meeting this a.m. as I could not drag myself out of bed that early. My scale is showing good things, so I know that whatever their scale says will be good.

Have a great weekend, lovelies!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 04-02-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #84  

Thumbs up The Sunday Palace

Good morning, lies! We're back to winter wonderland here but it can't last -- can it? Crocuses and snowdrops are in bloom anyway, brave little things that they are.

All goes well here. I enjoyed being in Halifax, getting to know it a little better. I'm in love with Citadel Hill -- it just seems like this ancient presence right in the middle of the city. And then it was lovely to get home, too, to our cozy house. I think I'm going to like this phase of our lives.

On Thursday, I realized that the deadline for our Literary Awards contest was FRIDAY. I had a story pretty much ready to go but thought it might not be possible to get it postmarked and sent in time. Nevertheless, I decided to give it a go, although several times I almost gave up. I wrote an intro, emailed it to my Web email account, printed out the required three copies in the hotel's business center. Figured out where there was a postal outlet, bought envelope and paper clips and with an hour to spare before we were to leave, bought a money order for the entry fee and mailed it. Huzzah!

Now, mind you, I better prepare myself not to win, but I'm proud of myself for getting it done. I can so often be overwhelmed by the number of small tasks involved in doing something like that and give up before I start.

Oh, I've attached the story, if anyone wants to read it. It's one of a series of tales about the comic misadventures we had living in the country.

I did get that ring and I'm loving it. It's a symbol of looking after myself -- got that "blossoming" metaphor working for it.

Kat, your weather sounds blissful. We had a day or two like that in Halifax and you just want to drink the sun in.

Hope your weigh-in was good! Mine's coming up tomorrow and I am cautiously optimistic. Got in over 15000 steps yesterday and have been doing well. Must start tracking seriously again, though. Always better to know.

Just finishing my here and then off for the long Sunday walk. I've got the final Symphony performance of the season this afternoon and it's one I've been looking forward to. A composer that I find intriguing and a soprano who's been described as having an ethereal and haunting voice.

DH is making "ready" sounds so I'm off. Love to all -- let's make this a good one!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Sheilagh's Brush swept us to town.doc (41.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #85  

Oh, I miss so much when I'm not in the palace on a regular basis. I LOVED the Citadel picture - glorious. And I loved the story - and the story behind the story. You ARE a winner just because you got it entered!!!

I'm so proud you're not eating after dinner, kat. That's my biggest downfall and I've fallen prey a lot lately.

Of course, it's showing in my weight. Grr!! Don't know what's up with me lately. I have rewarded me with lots of things, facial, manicure, electrolysis, mani/pedi, joined a new museum assn., , some new clothes, made a few new friends. had music in my life, etc., etc. All I still seem to want is that dratted food..........Can't seem to find equilibrium I'm seeking.

BUT - so much good in my life I must focus more on that...BIL got a "No Evidence of Disease" this week re cancer. Niece had brain tumor procedure on Monday - still lots of concern for both but things are a bit better.

Hoping for a few more springtime tease days this weekend. It's been a hard fight with winter hanging in and winning most of the time. But flowers blooming. And officially I am going to start moving spring clothes in and winter wear out. I'm going to enjoy spring whether it's here or not and sooner or later, it's got to be. Ironically, last year we set a new record for high temperature on this date.

So - my first goal is to be more faithful to the palace Always a good first step. to all s.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #86  

Default A fresh new week

So, I frittered away most of my loss from last week. Not, literally -- no fritters -- but a bit of this, a bit of that, no tracking and 2 of 2.6 have reloaded. Salt is probably partially to blame. Nevertheless. Back to Day 1. I will track, I will stay within appointed calories.

I'm actually taking this week off to clean house. I've got the sheets in the wash for the first line-drying of the season. Tonight my bed will smell like heaven!

Sunny now. Supposed to rain this aft, possibly thundershowers. I'm just going to have one more and then off for my harbour walk while the sun shines. DH is away this week and my plan is to have everything sparkling by Friday eve.

Anagram, sure miss you when you're not around, too! WONDERFUL news re: BIL! And I'm so glad that the niece's situation is better too. Brain stuff is so scary.

You know, it's Fresh Start Monday -- let's HIT IT!!!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #87  

Ready for a new week here too. Have been under200 consistently again. 197 yesterday which is within a half pound of the lowest I've seen. However 197.8 today.

Enjoy your spring cleanout week, Arabella. And be sure to make it a "YOU" week. Enjoy your week on, week off while you have it and

Spring is supposed to be here today with unseasonably HIGH temps. Been so odd, cold, dreary lately - and will be again. But today is glorious. Forsythia blooming, hyacinths, daffs. I'm off to tai chi in a tad - hit it twice last week and the pool twice. No guests and less eating out.

Handy fellow coming tomorrow and I'm working on his list Had to dig for something springy to wear too so may do the "transition" even though it may make me freeze a bit.

Yep, feeling better w/o stress of family illnesses - though with a big family, there are always some more.

Hearty, hearty Royals. Spring and a fresh start beckon.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #88  

Default Day 1.5?

Had more carbs than probably advisable yesterday, if I'm doing low carb -- which I think is my best plan. Also went over a bit on calories but it pretty much evened out from exercise. The plan today? Track, lower carbs, etc.

Third-last choir practice last night and it was INTENSE - my goodness, we worked hard. Then, of course, despite feeling like I was just about ready for collapse by the end, I couldn't sleep. May have been asleep by 2, but not before. Nevertheless, not feeling too bad today and the sun is out. I'm going to shower up, do some housework and maybe head out to sound yoga. Tonight I've got DGS, DS & his GF, my mom, my sister and her DGD coming for dinner.

Anagram, I think you're right -- have to fit in rest and recreation. No reason I can't meditate this week. And make appointments for overdue haircut and pedicure. Your flowers sound wonderful! We're still on crocuses and snowdrops but I noticed the lilac-esque shrub my neighbour gave me last year has buds on it and other things are coming to life. This would be a good year for me to get into gardening big time. Eating isn't working out well as a hobby.

Hmmm... spring-y stuff. I must hit the thrift stores.

Hope all lies are well and happy! Let's make this a good one.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #89  
a work in progress...

Good morning royal ones! I had to pop in before work, since I was dreaming of the Palace right before I woke up! A wee nudge from the Universe, mayhaps? Whatever, it was a good nudge! I can report another two lbs off, and I am officially the lowest weight I've been in about 12 years. Also, I now have less than 100 lbs to lose. Wow. Once I get below this number, I will really feel as though I've accomplished something! 48 lbs is nothing to sneeze at, but I think that I downgrade the achievement because it has taken so long. Stinkin' thinkin', yes. Working on that.

Accomplishments: I took my first golf lesson on Saturday! Not the greatest weather for it, but the rain held off til after we were done, and I loved it! Didn't do too poorly, either. Afterwards, I was very near the shore, and decided that a nice walk on the boardwalk was in order. Not only did I walk, I woggled! Told myself that I would just TRY, and I could actually do it without much protest from the knees! I walked for 1 minute, then I'd jog for one minute, and repeated this x10. Was so proud of myself and elated afterwards... runner's high? Whatever, it was lovely.

Oh boy, my 'get to work on time initiative' is in jeopardy if I stay here another minute... Gotta run, have a great day, s!!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 04-19-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #90  

The eating hobby doesn't work too well for me either, Arabella. And only a day or two now until your concert. THAT is a good hobby.

kat, for sure 48 pounds is nothing to sneeze at. (hURRAH) Some good looking chick you must be, so svelte and all. And I loved the woggle on the boardwalk. Hope you get to be quite a golfer. I liked it but was never good at it. Still when DH and I wouild go out on a summer's eve and have the course to ourselves (well, almost), it didn't seem to matter how bad I was. It was just pleasant to share the pleasant outdoors.

I've ranged from 196.4 to 199 this week. The 196.4 was a new number. I'm glad to see the initiative Subway is taking to cut salt. Maybe others will follow. I don't use salt at home but it is in so many things and is so treacherous to/for me.198.6 this morning.

Working hard here for garage sale the last weekend. Much, much to be done and that's not even going to be the half of it. But I had someone here this week to move down to first level three things that I couldn't manage. So now I'm committed. Hope I make enough money to cover their hire.

Loving my new pool place, esp. the hot tub. A big reward in itself. More and more flowers showing up despite the rain. Had a real deluge Saturday. Had water in basement but found out the next day that so many others had so much worse. Anyway, forsythia beautiful as are the tulips. Tempting fate, I actually put some plants in the ground - about four weeks toO early. Will watch and then cover as/if required

Going to Pville for Easter. One of those few days a year I get to see my whole and complete and small nuclear family. All seven of us. Still, those days are my high points.