Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #53

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another windy cold day, with sunshine, in my corner of the world. I spent the morning picking up the debris from being gone (during the day) all week, went to WW (I knew it wouldn't be pretty -- I was late so didn't weigh), stopped at the library, po, and bank then home again. I spent last night fixing a salad and bars for the funerals today; I should have helped in the kitchen but just didn't feel like being on my feet all day with a bunch of 80+ year olds telling me what to do.

"Gma" -- I'm sick of the election review and rehash!! It is what it is and wish the dust would settle sooner rather than later. I had to smile at Fortune eating people food and Pepto to settle his stomach. I hope he's ok. I'm sorry about Jack's doctor appt. -- I hate doctors that won't "do" anything except tell one to go home and take Tylenol or whatever. I didn't realize that yarn could be so expensive! The socks would be very pretty! It's been many years since I've bought yarn that's for sure.

Susan -- Thanks for sharing the new WW website. I'm ready for something a little different as I am yo-yoing and at myself for doing so. I know you will have a wonderful time at your retreat -- enjoy!

Maggie -- Your castle book sounds very interesting. Will always brings you nice surprises! I guess I will be cooking for Thanksgiving this year. Amanda has to work so Jason, Ian, and Maddy will be coming here. Whether or not Beth does will depend on if Will is home or not. We usually go to my "sister's" but they are going to CA to visit their daughter.

I need to figure out what to fix for supper. Part of the food problem is eating out at noon all week! You'd think I would learn one of these days before I'm too old to care. I have a church meeting at 5 so supper will be late tonight.

Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:17 AM   #2  

Good morning to you all! I had to have Jack turn on the furnace this morning. It was quite chilly in the house this morning.

I have started getting Jackson's Christmas stuff so will have to face wrapping presents soon. One of these days I am going to have everything shipped to Jean and she can wrap them all nice and pretty and ship them to me so I don't have to do it! I am trying to get Thomas to send me his Christmas list but when I asked him about it he told me he wants Itune cards for his Itouch to buy aps for it. I would like to get him some other stuff besides Itune cards! lol

Jean: Eating out unless you are very informed and such can be a real diet deal breaker. I always have the best intentions and sit down and open the menu and then order something way outside points and such. You can buy some very very expensive yarns if you want to. I just got tickled because this was sock yarn and it would take $70 to make a pair of socks. Unlike a sweater or hat or something, walking on socks you will wear them out and put holes in them a lot more quickly so that makes them even more expensive. I guess though that being cashmere yarn they are truly very very soft socks and get softer after each washing. I still can't see it unless it is a very special present. I saw they used this yarn to make a baby afghan and it cost nearly $200! Now that would be something you would have to demand they never give away! I know the stuff I bought for my nieces little boys blanket cost me about $75 to make the blanket. It was fuzzy and really really soft and he still sleeps with it I guess.

I think we are going to have a couple steaks and hash browns and yeast rolls for dinner tonight. Jack wants to get his hair cut tomorrow and I want to take the comforter, shams and bedskirt to the laundromat and wash them. It is cheaper then taking them to the dry cleaners. They want $40 for just the comforter. I can do all of them for $5.50 wash and about $2.00 drying. I usually take them about 4 times a year. We also need to shampoo the upstairs carpets and Sunday we will "winter" clean the deck, put away the bbq, get the leaves all out for the landscapers to eventually pick up and trim the bushes. Busy weekend.

I did get a honeyed ham ordered for Thanksgiving, but have to discuss the turkey and such with Kelly. I am more than willing to cook it here, debone it and put it in pans and take it to her house like we did last year. It's a lot better than having the mess at her house trying to debone it and such. We always do a buffet line type thing and not all the dishes on the table so it makes more sense. Should be a good time this year. I am not a beer drinker but Jay micro brewed his own beer this year and I guess he is bringing stuff with him. I promised to taste it to be nice, but truly I hate beer and though I like the foofoo drinks, would rather just have them without the alcohol. I just don't like the taste.

I just can't believe we are roaring to holiday time again. Seems like we just did it. I am deciding about putting up decor this year or not. We cannot get a tree into the house with the big screen tv this year. There just is no place to put the darn thing now. We won't be doing Christmas at our house nor Thanksgiving either more than likely since Kelly's house is so much bigger and she has a huge dining table. It will be up to her though.

Well I should go. Everyone have a nice weekend. Don't forget to turn your clocks back on Saturday night! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #3  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining with a 23 degree temp and wind chill of 19! I put some bird and squirrel food out and it is too cold! I am home all day today and plan to work on my shoe collection this morning. My shoe boxes are mixed up and I need to put my sandals away -- it's closed toe shoes and socks for the next few months. The shoes I haven't worn are going to SOS. I think I will wrap Ian's birthday gifts this afternoon as that is the next "big" event on the 14th. He will be in MN for his real birthday, to celebrate with the other side of the family.

"Gma" -- I have a few Christmas gifts bought and I need to write down what is for whom so I can remember! I'm hoping to make a Sioux City jaunt next week and get a few more things. If I go alone I like to go early and can take my time. The WW leader said to decide on what you are going to eat before you get to the restaurant, but sometimes I don't know what I want! You are right that it is hard to stay OP unless one is a good preplanner, which I am NOT. I'm thinking I will fix turkey breast for Thanksgiving and have ham for Christmas. I'm cooking for both this year and know that Jason, Ian, and Zowie will be here for Thanksgiving since Amanda has to work. We usually go to my "sister's" but they are going to CA to visit their daughter. Whether or not Beth comes will depend on if Will is able to be home or not.

Susan -- Have a fun weekend!

Maggie -- What are you up to today?

I have laundry going, am dressed, and need to get busy! Have a GREAT day!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friendly Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a cooler day here in the Heartland than it has been. I slept real good last night but today I feel headachey but don't have a head ache if you know what I mean. Not much ambition and that is that. I had ordered a photographers vest which has lots of pockets and they sent me a shirt by mistake so I have to send it back. The vest has 16 pockets that keep essential travel items within easy reach. It has two hand-warmer pockets, four 3" x 3" pockets secured with hook-and-loop fasteners that hold small items such as couns, two 6" x 6" pockets that can hold a GPS receiver or camera, and a horizotal cell phone pocket. Two internal pockets secure passport, money clip, or keys. The zippered 14" x 8" lumber pocket can store an emergency rain jacket. Two straps secure a hat or small umbrella. The outer shell is 100% waxed cotton canvas that resists stains and water. The inner lining is 100% cotton, genuine cowhide leather lines the collar. Good thing they still have the vest because it was in a former catalogue and if they didn't have it I would be so sad. When out trecking about I would much rather wear a vest with my stuff in it than mess with a big back pack or side pack because I just prefer it for balance. I could concievable wear a small back pack with this vest setup depending where we were going and what we should have with us, but I think the vest is all I will need. I opted for a vest instead of a pocketed jacket with sleeves because I can wear it over a blouse or if it is cold a fleese jacket or sweater can fit under it nicely. We had a frost last night and before we get a freeze Will is out picking our tomatoes and they can ripen on the window sill. The acorn squash will be alright. He is going to cut the apple tree way back this year for it sure needs it. The ger~prize he brought me this day was a case of small cans of pumpkin. All this past year we couldn't find any to buy because of the floods last year. I couldn't make any pumpkin smoothies, pudding, etc. that we like and it is such a good source of fiber. So now that it is the "season" he got me some ~ how sweet of him to remember that I was sadened that we couldn't get it throughout the year. I have WW rcipes for pumpkin bread pudding, custard, spice muffins, cheesecake, bread etc. and so forth that we like and are low points. Can you tell I am a happy camper? Will came in and said he just picked two 5 gallon buckets of acorn squash which will live in our basement uniil I cook them. Got a lot of tomatoes to put on the windowsil. Life is good.

JEAN Do you use the clear boxes for your shoes. I don't have many pair of shoes that I can wear with this brace so keep them in clear plastic boxes on the shelf in my closet. I have 6 pair that I wear. Before the brace I had lots and lots of shoes. My black SAS walking shoes are my main winter shoes.

DONNA FAE We are thinking about ordering a smoked turkey breast and a ham from a catalogue we got that has good prices. How does your turkey come flavor wise if you order it cooked? Since we are going to a friends home for Thanksgiving I am taking some side dishes and not doing a turkey this go round. Maybe Christmas I'll be doing a breast. Will can do it in his smoker.

I need to get some glass work done this day. Type at you again later. Have a wonderful day folks.

Last edited by Maggie; 11-05-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD LATE MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland. I finished reading the Castle book and will put it on the table in the front room for guests to get a gander at it. I found the history about the castle real interesting. It described what went on in each area and made it come alive. Some of the tomatoes are green that Will picked yesterday and so today I am going to try a WW recipe for Fried Green Tomatoes that I have had and never used because I never had the green tomatoes to use in it, I will use the baked version for them and cook some meat loaf patties that I had formed and frozen from when I had too much to put in the pan last time I made meat loaf. Anyway everyone I have spoken to that have eaten them said fried green tomatoes are yummy! So I now have a chance to give them a go. Any of you tried them? I know they were popular when we lived in the South, so that made me think maybe they are a "down south" dish where lots of their yummy dishes are of the fried kind. I have a bag of salad greens in the fridge I will serve with the meat and tomatoes with some sf ff pudding for a dessert. Where are you gals this morning? Usually I am the last to get here. Have a lovely Saturday my Magnolia frineds.

Type at y'all later. Have a safe and wonderful Saturday.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #6  

Afternoon gals! We were out really early this morning because I took my kingsized comforter, pillow shams and bedskirt to the laudromat and wanted to get there before it got busy. We got there before it was too bad, but it was getting nuts by the time we left.

Jack then had to get a haircut, I had to go and get another steam mop because mine died and get a few more things at Target then we got some lunch at Jason's Deli, Jack got a sandwich and I got their great salad bar. We headed back home and lugged everything in, Jack took the bed stuff upstairs and I balanced my checkbook, put in my credit card purchases and put stuff away.

While I was waiting for the comforter my phone rang and it was my best friend calling. I haven't talked to her in quite a long time and now that we have changed phones I can blab at her as long as I want without huge charges. She is the sweetest and best gal in the world and for the last several years seems to have had nothing but trouble. She has her 94 year old mother and her husband's sister living with her. Her mother has dementia/alzheimer's and needs a lot of care. She got laid off from her job in August and I never knew. Her husband doesn't have a job (frankly this is her 3rd husband and he seems a bit on the lazy side) and she has been the breadwinner. She has schooling for medical coding, but jobs up there are pretty scarce right now and she is 56.

I am back to having female trouble again so I imagine it will be back to the doctor for another round of tests just to make sure it isn't something serious. It is such a bother! lol

Maggie: You vest reminds me of an old kids show I used to watch on one of the Chicago stations. The host wore these zip up coveralls and to remember everything he had to do, he put notes all over himself. Instead, you have a vest where you can stash everything you need to remember.

Well gals, I need to go. I think Jack is going to watch the Boise State game in about half an hour or so and I am going to knit. I am still a bit dopey from a muscle relaxer I took last night for back pain, but now I am wondering if it might be the female thing instead. {{{It is always something}}}

Last but not least, I had a high school friend who posted this on facebook. I thought it would give you all a giggle. I sure feel like this sometimes! Faye
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150076_1415720442342_1512523132_30851966_33449_n.jpg (84.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 11-06-2010, 06:03 PM   #7  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another nice day in my corner of the world. I hope this weather lasts for a long time! I opened the gift shop this morning; a waste of time but I did get through some more magazines to contribute to the pile there. I made a grocery run -- had 4 things to pick up but decided to start picking up Thanksgiving items as I thought of them. With only 2 grocery stores sometimes they run out of the popular things; you'd think they'd get a clue. I have a load of laundry washing and the dishwasher to unload.

Maggie -- Your vest sounds interesting. My current purse has lots of pockets and I'm forever searching for something that I think I know which pocket it should be in but isn't. I read somewhere that there was a pumpkin shortage last year and that's why the price is so high this year. I have to admit I didn't buy any last year so didn't miss it. I just use the regular cardboard shoes boxes and take a magic marker to write whatever is in it with LARGE letters. I'm not a big tomato fan to eat them alone. I think my mom fixed fried green tomatoes when I was a kid.

"Gma" -- It seems like some people have all the bad luck. I'm sure your friend enjoyed your visit too. I hope you are feeling better as the day goes along. I can stick a post-it note in the car and forget to do whatever it says! I had to chuckle at the signs.

Susan -- I'm betting you might be having a massage about now. Hope you are having a good time at the retreat!

Bob is ready to wash bedroom windows so I'm off to "help." I can never get them apart to do the outside section.

Have a nice evening!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all! Hope everyone set their clocks back. Wonder if Susan remembered before she left for her retreat?

We are doing rugs today. Good thing too. Fortune ate too fast and just urped it up in the living room. {{{SIGH}}} I have laundry to haul upstairs and put away and I have to put the bedding back together from taking it to the laundromat. It will be nice to have nice fresh comforter and such again. It is kind of a hassle, but a whole lot cheaper than sending to the dry cleaner that's for sure.

Jack sat around and watched football until about 7 so I didn't get to watch much tv yesterday. I did get some done on the sock though. I think I have figured out what I did to my rib area on my back. It has been really sore like I pulled it for several days and I have put heat on it, took one of Jack's Flexeril's the other day, which knocked me out at 5 O'clock on Thursday night, but it is still sore. The only thing I can think of is that it rained all day on Monday and I went to do some errands in the afternoon after Jack got home and slipped getting into the suv. Has to be it. It is still a little sore but much better than it was a few days ago.

Jean: Hope your bedroom windows are sparkling. I hate the windows here, the whole back side is impossible to wash because of how they were put in. I usually take a hose to the outside or use window cleaner on the them, but we don't take the outside out because they are nearly impossible to get back in. It is one huge window and weighs about 100 lbs. I think the hospital needs to seriously consider the shop there and maybe what to do to generate business a little bit. Kelly called me and we discussed Thanksgiving and who cooks what. Since I have the ham on order I am getting a smoked turkey from across the street and I usually debone it into two pans light and dark meat, put chicken broth over both pans so they stay moist then reheat them before dinner. It works great. I think since the ham is a spiral sliced precooked job with that nice honey glaze I will put it into a crockpot with a mix of pineapple juice, brown sugar, and ground clove and just warm it up so it doesn't dry out. I also have stuffing because Kelly doesn't know how to cook stuffing. She said if she did it we would have Stove Top! lol I make homemade cornbread dressing. I also have the olives and stuff for appetizers, and the yeast rolls. Kelly gets veggies and desserts. Jay can just contribute monetarily or take us all out one night! lol Jack is taking Wednesday off and he can help and we were going to try and go to the Harry Potter movie that day since people will be at work and I thought the kids would be in school, but looks like they have Wednesday off. I swear I don't think the kids ever go to school here. Jay and Alicia won't be here until lunch time on Thanksgiving so we will have our meal late I imagine. We are also going to do Christmas stuff for Jackson at that time except for Thomas, which we will do on Christmas Eve. I will just bring a couple gifts for him to open. I just remembered I have to ask Kelly if we are going to do the kids gag thing for the adults to give to charity. I will have to do that when I finish here.

Susan: Hope you are having a good time with your friends.

Maggie: My dad always like fried green tomatoes. I don't care for them and Jack wouldn't even try them. I am not much for eggplant either which sort of reminds me of it.

I guess I should go gals. Jack will be up in a few since he went to bed at 8 last night saying he was really tired. Have a wonderful Sunday. Faye
Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful fall day in my corner of the world! Our back yard is a blanket of leaves from just one tree -- 3 trees are left to drop. We went to early church and today was the memorial service for those who died in the last year. There is a ritual response reading and then each name is read and a candle lit. Bob and I lit the 28 candles -- I was so afraid I would either drop one or it wouldn't light, but all went well. I fixed a meat loaf dinner, have a load of laundry in the washer, and read the paper. I tried to talk Bob into hanging Christmas lights since it is so nice out, but he opted to clean out the barn (lawn/garden building), put the lawn mower away, and get out the snow blower. He thinks it should be cold, windy, and snow on the ground to do Christmas lights.

I just got a call to sub in another card club tomorrow night. I've subbed before so kind of know everyone who plays.

"Gma" -- I set the bedroom clocks back first thing on Saturday morning figuring they will be the right time if I forget the rest. I only have to do the stove and microwave as the TV and wall clock are automatic. I even did the car yesterday -- it has 2 clocks: digital and the full face kind. All of our windows are supposed to be "washable" from the inside, but I'm not strong enough to pop the double hung windows out of the track. The wind out windows are tall ones and Bob likes to do those from the outside. I would never put in that kind again because if you just want them open a crack the wind blows them shut. Would you share your stuffing recipe or don't you use one? I'm with Kelly and would probably use Stove Top! I just read the hint about cooking the turkey the day before and pouring broth over it to keep it moist. It will be fun to watch Jackson open his gifts. I'm that Thomas will understand that his gifts will come later.

Maggie and Susan -- Hope you both are having a nice day!

Not much else is newsy from here today. Have a relaxing evening!

Jean -- from Iowa1
Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 AM   #10  

Good morning everybody. Fortune wanted out and since something happened yesterday we are taking him out and standing with him for the time being. Since I stood out there in my gown and sweater, I am wide awake now! Anyway, yesterday I let him out and was sitting here at the computer waiting for him. He barked and by the time I got up and got to the door, I saw he had a huge piece of meat in his mouth and it was raw!!!! I got out there as fast as I could and was chasing him and wrestling it away from him yelling at him and such to let me have it and I heard a bunch of older kids on the other side of the gate laughing and carrying on. The meat was not spoiled smelling and not cooked so I think the brats tossed it over to intentionally make him sick and it wasn't garbage from a neighbor's trash. I was furious and slammed the door coming in and Jack came running and went out to look for the little snots but they had run off. You know, Fortune has been getting sick on and off a lot lately and I thought it was from the squirrel, but now I am not so sure. I know it isn't either of the neighbors doing it now like it was when those awful kids lived next door a few days ago. So, we are going to keep a sharp eye out and go outside with him I guess.

Jack did all the upstairs rugs yesterday and I put the bed back together. I want to get the upstairs bathrooms cleaned today then the upstairs will be spick and span again. Jack is going to do the downstairs carpets on Thursday as he has the day off for Veterans day.

Jean: Boy, I can only give you ingredients pretty much as I think the best way to make stuffing is by taste, but I will give it a shot.

1 cake sized aluminum pan (if you want to make outside the bird)
corn meal
milk
eggs
canned chicken stock my favorite is swansons but any kind will work
1 stick butter or margarine I like butter makes a richer flavor
oil
white bread
onions
salt
pepper
rubbed sage
I usually make one of those cake sized aluminum pans full for Thanksgiving so I take two round cake pans and make two batches of cornbread according to directions on the container, but I leave out the sugar. I take about 8 slices of white bread and leave them out to dry and get crunchy or buy 1 bag plain stuffing bread that comes in cellophane packages. I know Pepperidge Farm makes one brand. As soon as the corn bread is cool enough to handle, I crumble it and the dried bread togehter and mix it well. I chop two onions finely and add to it then I melt a stick of butter, add it and canned chicken stock one can at a time until the consistency is still firm, but kind of gummy. I mix with my hands as it seems to mix better this way. Here is the iffy part. I take rubbed sage and salt and pepper and just add it and mix until it tastes the way I want it to taste and bake it in the oven for an hour or so at 350 degrees, or stuff the turkey and around the turkey with it. I am sorry I can't be more specific, but it is one recipe I do by add and taste. It isn't something you muck up if you do it this way so give it a try. I usually add my sage a couple tablespoons at a time. Jack likes it with a lot of sage and one year we had green stuffing! lol It is for everyone not just us this year so I will temper it.

I don't get the waiting til it snows to put up lights. Seems to me it is a bit more dangerous that way, but what do I know I live in a condo? lol Thomas is fine about his gifts. His mom doesn't really care whether we give them to him early or not, but I will give him a couple of gifts and keep his big one for Christmas Eve. We are getting him the Rock Band 3 with piano for the Wii for Christmas and it costs about $130 so he won't get a whole lot more presents. He wants a pair of low top Converse black tennies, but I haven't found them on sale anywhere and Kelly doesn't want me to pay $40 for them and right now it is about as cheap as I can find them so we shall see. He also wants Itune cards so he can put aps on his Itouch. I found the coolest free ap for my Iphone. It is from allrecipes.com and it is called "spinner dinner." It has three "spinning" lines and each one is specific, like appetizers, main meals, etc first line, ingredients you want second line and time you want to spend on it third line. You choose each line then it gives you all the matches. For example, I was looking for an appetizer with cheese that takes less than half an hour to prepare and it gave me like 30 recipes. It is pretty neat. I found a neat one from Whole Foods too that has some nice recipes and an ap for knitting where it helps count your rows and such, which is great for socks so they are the same length and such. These are all free too.

Poor Jack, forgot to reset his alarm on his watch and it went off so he is up already. He said he got enough sleep though.

Well gals, I am going to go and sit and knit for awhile. You all have a great start to your week! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 11-08-2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #11  
Thin Within

Talking Moody Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland. This must be the only day the wind doesn't blow. I am gathering up the ingredients to make that Beef Strogonof tomorrow for our guests that couldn't make it last time. We told them what I had fixed and by the looks on their faces I just knew I should make it again. Not much else happening around here this day.

DONNA FAYE Those boys are bad for giving your little pooch things to eat that make him sick. Will took Ragg Mopp to the goomer today and she gave him a few pages of dog food recipes that you might be interested in so here is the web site she lifted them from:
http://www.fred.net/astarz/mnr/recipes.html
They look interesting and not hard to make.

Well ladies I am going to get going and get some lunch. I showed a maintain this weigh day and that is a good thing. Will showed he is down a pound and a half and that is a man for you.

Type at y'all later.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #12  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's another beautiful fall day in my corner of the world -- 74 degrees in November is hard to believe! I spent the morning at church; we had some extra money come in for various things so it took longer to figure what account #s I needed to use, plus lots of memorial money from the 3 funerals last week. I'm doing laundry this afternoon and subbing in a card club tonight. This group quits at 9 and goes home! My regular group sits around and visits a bit before we leave for home.

"Gma" -- Thanks for sharing your dressing recipe. I haven't seen anything yet this year, but last year there was a warning about not putting the dressing inside the turkey. Now I don't remember why, but my mom and grandma always did and no one got sick nor died. I'd be furious with the kids throwing food into your yard for Fortune to find. I wonder if any of them have pets that they care about. I think the snow part makes putting Christmas lights up outside seem like being more in the holiday spirit. I would never get used to decorated palm trees like we saw in AZ one year.

Maggie -- Bob's secretary makes her dogs doggie treats all the time. I happened to call her one day when she was taking them out of the oven. Congrats on the maintain . . . better than a gain any day!

Susan -- Are you resting today?

My dryer is buzzing so it's time to change loads. Have a marvelous "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #13  

Good afternoon, ladies! Low 60s today. I had to scrap ice off the windshield yesterday morning over in Wakefield. That was a surprise.

We had a wonderful time at retreat. I went to Bella's Belles applique bee this morning and by afternoon I was too tired to do any more today. I'm not going to bible study so I can go to bed early. I have work tomorrow, then the Y and Quilt Guild tomorrow night.

Maggie, I am from the north and we always had fried green tomatoes so I don't think it's just a southern thing. I love them. We have them with cream gravy.

Faye, i'd find out where those kids live and send the police to see them. What a mean thing to do!

Jean, between cooking for dogs and clothes for dogs and brushing their teeth, I think people have gone nuts. I love my cat. He'd die if I tried to put clothes on him, only eats cat food, and is fine if I want to go away for a few days.

I think I'm going to eat something and head for bed. I have a good book to read.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #14  

Good Morning, Flowers! I'm surprised I am the first one to visit here today. It's promising to be another beautiful fall day in my corner of the world. I spent an interesting evening at card club last night . . . there were two subs for one person! It seems the hostess called another sub, and the person who couldn't play called me. I offered to leave but the others offered to take turns sitting out so we all got to play. The hostess is a great cook and always had good food to eat. Today I'm working on junk paper/catalog piles, ironing, and laundry!

Susan -- It's good to see your post from yesterday! I would think your quilting fingers would be tired! I knew you would enjoy the retreat weekend. I agree about all the "extras" some people go to for their pets; I think moreso for dogs than cats. There is a doggie hotel in Sioux City that each dog, or dog family, has a private room with TV and personal attendant. Talk about spoiled! I'll bet that is pricey. Have fun at the Y and Quilt Guild today -- work, ah, not so much.

Have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #15  

Afternoon ladies! I thought I had posted this morning. Boy, the mind is going I guess!

Jack is looking forward to having Thursday off even though he plans to shampoo the downstairs rugs. We just did this a couple months ago but Fortune got sick again and so there you go.

Man, I don't know who the new mail person is but whomever it is are terrible. They don't deliver the mail until after 4 pm when it has always been delivered before 1 pm. On top of that, the lazy person just tosses the packages when the other lady would bring them up to the door and knock. On top of that, he or she wouldn't deliver on Saturday and left a delivery slip even though our gate was unlocked all day. I put it back out yesterday to have them redeliver it (it is one of Jackson's Christmas presents) and they just left it in the mailbox instead of picking it up! Now I am going to have to drive across town and pick it up. GRRRR!

Maggie: Thanks for the dog food info. I am pretty particular about what I feed Fortune especially since he is older now. I noticed her recipe for a dog with a sick tummy is similar to what I give Fortune. She adds powdered mashed potatoes, I just give him cooked minute rice and scrambled eggs. I have several recipes for treats, but I haven't tried any of them yet.

Susan: Glad you had a nice time. Hope your first day back at work went smoothly. Believe me, if I knew who the people were I would have them arrested but like I said they were completely gone by the time Jack got out to the street. The lady next door has a little shihtzu I believe and I sure hope they don't do it to her either. It has to be someone that lives here because Fortune never barks so if it were someone cutting through our condos they wouldn't know we had a dog. There are several families with dogs in our building and across the way. You know, I wonder if it is that psycho that wanders around here and maybe the kids were making fun of him. I didn't think of that and he has a real grudge against Jack. He also knows we have a dog.

Jean: I sure wish I could find a Euchre group here in town. I would love to belong to a Euchre foursome. I have an Euchre ap on my Iphone and am always playing on it or online. I always have lousey partners though. I am a pretty good player and my computer counterparts stink! They will take the bid and not have any Jack's which are high trump in Euchre so we go set all the time if I don't happen to have any trump to take tricks. You have to take 3 tricks not to "set" if you are your partner order up the bid. The Four Seasons hotel in Las Vegas allows pets and they go all out. The dogs get perrier water, gourmet food, a personal attendent to walk them and all kinds of stuff.

Well, I want to continue to work on the sock. I want to get it done today if possible so I can then go on to Jackson's socks, which I have already started. Have a good Tuesday all! Faye