3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #29 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/203871-steel-magnolias-29-a.html)

gma22 06-06-2010 01:55 PM

Steel Magnolias #29

Afternoon gals! I had a busy morning and am not feeling well with this female stuff. I guess as an oldie I whine more, but I can't handle the cramping like I did when I was younger! lol

I want to get the house cleaned again this next week. I did up all the laundry today so we are back to almost zero with that. Seems there is always at least one piece in the washer even if I just did it all up! Suspiciously it usually has something to do with Jack....:D

Maggie: My gyn is the only OB/GYN the practice has and the practice has a huge number of medicaid patients so you know there are tons of unwed pregnant women coming through there. On any given appt I have there are at least 10 women that are pregnant sitting in the lobby. So, she is always booked solid. I do have a regular dr appt on the 24th and I am going to see if Dr Pang can get Dr Givens to up my progestin to 10 mg while I am there. This is ridiculous to have to put up with.

Susan: Bummer, but you will be back on track today. You never let yourself go way off anymore it seems. If you have one bad day you seem to get back to what you should do right away.

Jean: Hope the wedding went well and the time up at the lake. It is so humid here you walk outside and immediately start to sweat. It is over 90 at the moment and the air is heavy.

Well, going to sit and knit and watch the ballgame. I told Jack I don't care how lousy they are, I paid for MLB extra innnings so we are going to watch at least 4 innings before we give up on it! lol Have a great day today. Faye

Jean 06-06-2010 04:24 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We are at the lake and I am playing with Amanda's laptop while the others left for a boat ride. I am NOT good with this mouse setup, but I do like the wireless part! The wedding, last night, was nice but we didn't get out of the reception until almost 10. Decided to put in an appearance at the retirement party and was glad we did since not many others showed up. The renovated barn has some interesting antiques hanging and sitting around. It was midnight when we got home and I went straight to bed. We were on the road by 9 this morning; I'm hoping we will head for home after the boat ride. Jason, Amanda, Ian, Zowie, and Bob's brother are out in the boat, so I am enjoying the peace and quiet! :D

"Gma" -- It would be nice if you could just talk to your doctor on the phone since you have had so many face-to-face visits. I hate the "hurry up and wait" game. :( There was a Cubs fan at our table last night and he was talking about their win/loss history over the years with another guy. I thought of you! ;)

Guess I will play some more and surf the net. Have a nice rest of the day!

Jean -- :wave: from Iowa!

QuilterInVA 06-06-2010 07:36 PM

Good evening, ladies. A 100 degree day today - but tomorrow the high is supposed to be 78! A nice cooler spell on tape for the coming week.

Faye, I'm so sorry you are still having these problems. I hope they get you straightened out soon. I dug out my Week 1 booklet and I'm following the menus there for the next 2 weeks. That should put me back on track.

Jean, sometimes its just nice to have a little time to yourself.

Have a good evening!

Maggie 06-07-2010 01:13 AM

Sunday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It has been a day in the high 80's. This afternoon we bought a smoker and will have fun with it this summer smoking meat and veggies. It is versitile and can be used as a BBQ also. We have various types of wood to use in it and are looking forward to our first batch of ribs. Tonight at church services my little friend who will be starting first grade next go round told me that finally she found out that her parents are going to let her have a charm bracelet and they will get the chain for her birthday which is in October. I said that was great for she examines mine every time I see her. I told her that I would buy any charm she wanted for her birthday and bless her heart she chose Tin Man. She asked if she could tell her mother and I, of course, said she could so off she skipped. She was so excited. Her mother came over to see which one she was talking about and was intregued. Tin Man's arms and legs move. I love my Tin Man, he has heart. l told Will there was a Tin Man charm in gold for six hundred and something and he just grunted. Guess that was a definite no.:p I am so glad they still carried that charm and so I now will have it in my posession when they ship it until her birthday. She said that she will keep her charm bracelet in the little glass box I had made for her. Her little sis who just turned 3 reminded me she wants a glass box and a charm when she is old enough and of course I told her she would get them for I won't forget.

OK Magnolias ~ I did read what you wrote and now time has run out for I am getting a migraine and it makes it difficult to see so I need to go. :wave: Type at y'all later.

Maggie 06-07-2010 12:55 PM

Moody Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

We had a gulley washer last night of big proportions. The rain has kinda abated as I type but still sprinkles. Our new lawn looks like there is 2 inches of water standing on it. Our garden certainly got a good watering. There are flood warnings whre it will flood in this area. Hoorah, Ragg Mopp is at the groomers. She was on vacation and he had to go three weeks without a bath instead of the usual two. He sure doesn't like the storms, poor little tyke. I was able to get to sleep quickly last night after popping my meds and today my head feels fine. I love it when a plan comes together but not those headaches. On Will's used book web place he found two good sounding smoker books. "Smoking Food: A beginner's Guide" and "Smoke & Spice: Cooking with Smoke, the Real Way to Barbecue." He also said there were many more books on the subject but we will start with these two. We love outdoor cooking and it can be OP so easily. Speaking of OP I was this past week but did show a 4 pound gain using my new accurate scale. Yep I showed a loss on my old scale I had been using but will go with the new number now and throw out that old scale. I just had to see how far it was off ~ It ended up being a 6 pound difference since it showed me a 2 pound loss. Anyway from here on in I will only weigh on my new Iron Monster and take the hit with a smile, knowing in reality I did lose.:D Nothing much going on around here this day. But tomorrow we are going to Sams Club which is 90miles away to buy some things in bulk. I like the spices I use a lot in the bigger containers that they sell plus all those necessary things we always use are cheaper in bulk. Well, not always for we can sometimes get things such as canned veggies cheaper at Walmart. But Walmart doesn't have some of the other things in bulk that we use. Plus Walmart is stocking less and less of what we do use. I need to get busy and make us up a list.

Hope all you Magnolias are having a great day. Type at y'all later :wave:

gma22 06-07-2010 02:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I posted this morning but it went into cyber space I guess. I have been working on the upstairs today but finally gave up when it got too hot in the smaller bedrooms to clean in. They face the sun and only have one vent so they get hot as a fire engine during the day even with blinds and curtains over them. Poor Jack about roasts in the evenings when the days are so hot here. I keep telling him to put the fan in there when he goes up to change his work clothes when he comes home, but he never does. Men just sometimes hate to listen to women I guess.

Maggie: I got a good laugh when I read your post. I got to the "two good smoker books" and thought wow, you husband smokes, I didn't know that. I then read farther about the grilling books and hooted with laughter. For one thing, I wanted to know what books were good for smokers to read! lol

Susan: I sure like having menus set up where I look at them and eat what it says! Tomorrow is weigh in, but with this stupid female stuff again I have been up one day and down the next but I imagine it will probably go way down next week when things hopefully settle down for me.

Jean: Sounds like everyone had a good time at the lake. I think laptops are very frustrating without an external mouse. When Jack bought his new laptop, I made him buy a wireless mouse so that when we went on trips I could use it. I don't know what I did before computers traveling. We really use the laptop to hunt up restaurants, plan our vacations or trips, etc.

Here is my favorite spiderman. Isn't he just so cute! lol His parents took him to Cedar Point Amusement park in Ohio yesterday so I surmise that is where he got his spidey face. I sent out his birthday present yesterday so they should be to him tomorrow or Wednesday since I sent them priority. I wrapped them all in red paper so she can put them out on Saturday with his other birthday party gifts.

I am mad as a wet hen at the idiot at Walmart's who told me I could order online, have his shipped to my local Walmart's and then they would assemble the bike for me. The email I got yesterday saying it was ready to pick up says, "Assembly is not included with Site to Store purchase." So, I looked online at Target and found the bike and it had a link to local stores and there are 4 stores here in town that have the bike so they either put it together for me at Walmart's or they can give me my money back, be stuck with a bike they don't stock or ship it back, I could care less. I wouldn't have bought it online if that bozo hadn't told me they would assemble it. GRRRRR!

I am going to sit and knit and watch the rest of the Cub's game. They are doing a makeup rainout game from last week playing the Pirates. Miracle of miracles, they are actually ahead right now the top of the 8th so there is always hope. Have a great start to your week gals!

Faye

Maggie 06-07-2010 03:05 PM

Back Again

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS :wave:

DONNA FAYE You gave me a good laugh at your post to me. Nope, neither Will nor I smoke tabacco but do smoke food. Meat is so good smoked and you should know living where you do.:o I guess we got our start smoking in Texas but still did it in TN but that is years ago and I couldn't find my books I had. I have several good regular BBQ books so needed some Smoker books. I love that picture of your little spider man. What an adorable child. You know I am getting more and more disinchanted with Walmart. That is a terrible thing they did to you saying they would put that bike together then come to find out NOT. Well it is time to go pick up Ragg Mopp and take a couple plants back to the nursery that didn't make it. If we take back the dead ones they give us new ones. These are trees.

I was searching for the recipe for a certain spice mixture I use a lot and came across this wonderful web site that has all kinds of spice mix recipes and thought you gals might want a look see.

http://www.budget101.com/frugal/seas...x-recipes-198/

Be back another time. :wave:

QuilterInVA 06-07-2010 06:45 PM

Good evening, ladies! A very pleasant day today - only got up to 82 and the humidity left during the night with the storms.

Didn't do anything but go to the grocery store and laundry today. Nothing going on this week and sometimes that is nice, too.

Maggie, I think you should have been a chef! You'd certainly have been good at it. Bummer about the scale but at least it's only for this week.

Faye, just hang in there and the scale will catch up to your efforts. Jackson is so cute! Stan and I went to Cedar Point for our honeymoon and stayed at the Breakers there. We both loved amusement parks.

Hi, Jean!

Jean 06-07-2010 11:07 PM

Good Evening, Flowers! It has been raining off and on all day -- gloomy! The office was a bit more busy today with Bible School starting; the day went by pretty fast. I will go back in the morning and then maybe again on Thursday to help with a mailing.

Susan -- Your weather sounds about as unpredictable as our's has been lately. It is chilly tonight and one would need a jacket outside. :( Enjoy your week with no definite plans.

Maggie -- I know you will enjoy your new smoker. I'm like Faye and thought "they smoke?" to myself. :lol: It will be interesting to see what you new scale has to say next week. It's hard to believe that scales can be so different. Our Bible School director went to WM to pick up some extra name tags -- the kind that you peel the back off and stick to your clothes. Would you believe . . . . WM doesn't carry them any more!?!?!?!?! She just bought some a week or so ago.

"Gma" -- I've been to Cedar Point too! I'm not surprised at your WM bike story. It will be interesting to see if they come through and put the bike together. :yes: I think they carry less merchandise since they remodeled our store. The aisles are wider and the shelving is lower so if you are tall you can see beyond the row you are in.

I need to figure out what I am wearing tomorrow and then head for bed. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

gma22 06-08-2010 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Good morning to you all! It is already 75 degrees here this morning so I imagine it will be another hot day down south. We keep watching what this oil spill is going to do as we are planning on going to Panana City Beach in October. We may not change our minds since everything we want to do is not ocean related, but it would be sad to see that beautiful beach all gunked up. Hopefully they can start the cleanup soon and get things going before they get any worse.

Jean: I believe they remodeled all the Walmart stores, putting in wider aisles and shorter shelving. Ours is a lot better now and cleaner too I must say, but service is still in the toilet because the staff really could care less whether or not you go somewhere else. The truth is these crappy stores will stay in business because they are very price competitive and people ignore the behavior. We aren't going over there until Friday when we have more time, so we shall see what happens. Jack says the guy I talked to said he was the toy department manager. I don't remember that, but Jack says the lady I asked first thinking she worked in toys said she would call the manager.

Maggie: Thanks for the rub and spice link. I put it in with my other weight stuff. Boy, what a great list. I am always looking for some mixes to use and they have just about everything it looks like. Doesn't it dry out Ragg Mopp's skin to be bathed that often? I know it sure does Fortune. He has problems with allergies somewhat so that causes its own situation. I have an oatmeal and honey doggy shampoo I use in the times I bath him here at home, but I am not sure it makes all that much difference.

Susan: I was down 1 lb this morning and expected it because I have quit a bit of water retention right now. I know I am going in the right direction so that is all that matters and the scale part of it will catch up sooner or later. I am just miserable with this other stuff. It has been a whole week now and doesn't seem to be going away. Ahh well, just have to hang in there until I can get to the doctor. I called this morning and they actually had an open appt for June 22 so I snapped it up. I go to my regular dr on the 24th so that will be doctor week. I was surprised they actually has a slot to put me in since they stay so booked with her. Must have been a cancellation.

I am going to go upstairs and finish what I didn't get done yesterday then continue working on my doctor's sock. Oh, here is the first sock of Thomas's. Like I said the color is called "ecology" so I hope Thomas likes the colorway of the sock. It is kind of unusual with all the greens and such. I think it looks like a great color for a boys sock.

Guess I better get out of here, get some breakfast and get my work done. No rest for the weary. Luckily, I got a good night's rest so I feel raring to go. Faye

Jean 06-08-2010 03:51 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! I worked this morning in the church office, so now can start on the piles around here and the laundry. Ernie has an appt. for shots and clipping his claws at 4:30; Bob promised to come home and wrestle him into the carrier. I brought the carrier upstairs to wipe the dust off and Ernie's trying to crawl in it while I'm trying to clean the inside. Won't he be surprised later! :) The church secretary hinted that maybe I would like to take over the volunteer job in the office; that gal does a church newsletter mailed every other week as well as the weekly church bulletins. I've never had any training on the clip art program nor the printing machine which is nothing like the copy machine. I'm not sure I want to commit to a set schedule nor am I smart enough to learn it all. The secretary is going to be gone for 10 days when we get back from MN, so I will fill in again in the office. At least July 4th falls right in the middle so will have that break.

"Gma" -- :congrat: on being down a pound! I like T's sock and I am he will too! :yes: My biggest gripe with WM is that they sometimes will not restock and item and no one has a clue if they ever will get it again. :dizzy: I see absolutely no rhyme nor reason as to how they rearranged anything in our store . . . the grocery part is just plain stupid! They put chips, juice, and snacky items across the aisle and into the main "dry goods" part of the store where baby items used to be. I suppose some man than never grocery shops drew up the plans. :lol:

Maggie -- I had some time to visit the spice mix site. Beau Monde caught my eye because my party mix recipe uses it. Mine was so old I decided to buy new, but couldn't find it in any of the stores. I finally asked and was told they don't make it any more. Now I can make my own! :D

The washer should be done so will move on to the next load. I should dust and vacuum but hate to change clothes when we will be leaving again. Have a nice "rest of the day!"

QuilterInVA 06-08-2010 08:09 PM

Good evening, ladies! Another lovely day in the high 70s.

I had work today so at least I got out of the house awhile.

Faye, Down a pound is great considering what you are going through. Just stick with it! I'm glad you were able to get a MD appointment sooner. Love those socks!

Jean, I read a very interesting book called "The World Is Flat" about how business has spread throughout the world. There was a whole chapter devoted to Walmart. When you make a purchase, as each item is rung up it is removed from the inventory and reordered. If HQ in Bentonville decides the item won't be carried any longer, they remove the item from the master inventory. The order for more automatically goes to the manufacturer, the item is shipped to Walmart warehouse and then goes back to your store. Very little human intervention and the local people working a Walmart are not involved at all except for putting it on the shelf.

Maggie, Thanks for the website. I love recipes for spice mixes and rubs.

Have a good evening.

gma22 06-09-2010 10:07 AM

Good morning to you all. Hump day and it is broiling here again today. We had a very short thunderstorm move through around 4:30 am but all it did was up the humidity not cool anything off.

I almost have my doctor's first sock done and I am going to put T's second sock on the needles today so I can get it done. I only have a couple weeks and they both have to be done.

Jean: I wondered if they would try and rope you into a permanent volunteer position at the church. It does take time to fool around with the clip art, place it and such and type up the newsletter and all. I would imagine it would almost be like working again only without pay! lol Our Walmart is set up goofy now too. The only good thing about the remodel is that it cleaned it up and opened up the aisles a lot, that is when they aren't sticking sale stuff down the middle of the aisles.

Susan: Walmart, in my opinion went downhill when Sam Walton died. The greed of his kids took over and what he started is now just like any other money grubbing business. That's not to say it wouldn't have turned out that way, but Sam Walton was just a country boy from Bentonville, AR who wanted to provide shopping for folks who couldn't afford other places. It really is sad even though Walmart makes more money than anyone else their integrity is pretty crappy in my opinion. I imagine it depends where you live as to whether the employees are great or not. They just aren't here.

Tomorrow is Jackson's 3rd birthday. I guess he had a ball at Cedar Point. He is at an age now where amusement parks are fun because he understands things more.

I need to go. I have lots of work to do and didn't sleep last night so I am dragging. It is going to be a slow going day I am afraid. Have a great day! Faye

Maggie 06-09-2010 12:58 PM

WEDNESDAY AKA:Humpday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS :wave:

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland. Our trip yesterday was uneventual with hardly any other cars on the road which is wonderful. Got most of what we went for and some items will have to be purchased elsewhere. I picked up a wonderful roast to make shredded beef out of and have it in my crockpot cooking as I type. I sliced up two huge pieces of garlic and inserted it all over the meat, placed a sliced onion on top and then dumped a jar of salsa over the top and put the lid on. We will have shredded beef and rice burritos for dinner. I use the 98% fat free flour tortillas. We also got some ribs to smoke and some other meat to BBQ plus lots of can goods and spices. Spent lots of do re me and will go back next month and get some other items. :o

SUSAN You are welcome ~ I know I will be using that web site often.

JEAN That is so neat you found that mix since they don't make it commercially anymore.

DONNA FAYE :carrot: Congratulations on that pound gone! If I know you ~ you will surely get those sox done in time. ;) Ole Ragg Mopp doesn't have sensitive skin so isn't affected by his twice monthly baths. I think his groomer would tell us if anything like that existed for she is so good with the animals and loves Ragg Mopp.

I have got to get some things done this day. Like rearranging my little pantry closet to be more user friendly. Yep I will do that when I get off here. So I'll say bye bye :wave: and I'll type at y'all later. Have a great day Magnolias.

QuilterInVA 06-09-2010 01:39 PM

Good afternoon, ladies. A cool 72 degrees today!

I went to Walmart this morning and dropped a package off at the post office. My neighbor is getting a new roof and skylights. A lot of the junk from the old has fallen in my yard so I hope they clean it up before they go.

Faye, I'm lucky to have nice employees and a clean store at my Walmart. The ones in Hampton and Newports News I wouldn't go to - it seems the shoppers determine how dirty the store is and how nasty the employees.

The Fine Living Network has revamped and is now the Cooking Channel, competition for Food Network. They are rerunning Julia Child's shows at 2:00 so I've just got to turn in to that. She was such a hoot.

Have a great day!