Old 04-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #17

Good Morning, Flowers! It's a rainy windy morning in my neighborhood. There are buds on my lilac bushes so the wind will help those along. Our yard has lots of dead (?) brown spots so I hope those will turn green. I need to look for the copies of the savings bond papers, I filled out for the grandkids, so I can do the next round for their birthdays. I've gone through one cupboard but have another one plus a couple of drawers to check. In my next life I will be more organized! I will, I will, I will !!

"Gma" -- I saw the game score in the paper this morning. Bob noticed I was looking at the sports section and asked why.

Hope you all have a nice day today!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Titilating Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautiful day here in the Heartland. It has warmed up in the nights where we had the ceiling fan in the bedroom going all night. It was windy during the night but has calmed down as I type. Got my Schwans order in because he comes on this coming Friday. I do it over the internet that way he has my order ready on the truck. If I don't do that sometimes he doesn't have what I want with him. Last night we were watching a program and the host picked up a puppet to make a point. That got Ragg Mopps attention and he went over the the screen and watched. When the man tossed it off camera, to an attendant, Ragg Mopp searched for it all around that part of the room. He walked all around the TV stand and searched several times. Then he came over to us and sat and looked back and wanted us to find it for him. He just knew that toy was for him. He got his bath at the groomers yesterday and when we picked him up he was in the back room of the place playing with the groomers grandchildren. Wow, it just turned 12 of the clock and I haven't eaten anything as of yet this day. I think I will boil some eggs and have an egg and smoothie for the meal. Fruit and protein.

JEAN Thanks for starting up a new thread. Hope you find what you are searching for. Are those saving bonds affected by the current mess our country is in right now? Like if a person wanted to cash them in would they be able to get the money? I've not heard anyone talk about that and was just wondering. I love lilac bushes. We have one out front. We had the best ever in Montana though, for they came together at the top and made a nice tunnel walk through to the garden. Our apple tree is getting leaves and the strawberries planted around the trunk have blossoms. It is Spring in the Heartland.

DONNA FAYE We watched the Cubbies game and also one between the A's and Twins. Baseball is here and we are happy campers. Hope your trip home is uneventful and you both are alergy free.

SUSAN How be you on this beautiful Spring day?

Have a wonderful day Magnolias. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:23 PM   #3  

Afternoon gals. We got home around 2 pm. I have whatever it is that Jack has now and am totally miserable. I bought some breathe right menthol strips to wear to see if they would help unstop my nose and they seem to help a bit.

We went and got Fortchy and now are putting everything away back in its place.

Wellllllll, first off, our seats were right under the fancy pants private ones so we got to use the elevator, the nicer concessions and the wonderful bathrooms. On the down side, the Cubs pitching was dreadful, humiliating and embarrassing come to mind and on top of that is wa 90 degrees yesterday afternoon and we had to walk about 1/2 mile uphill to our car. They had the road blocked at the park so I couldn't just wait for Jack. I was about dead when I got to the car. Heat, fat, and uphill do not bode well together let me tell you. On top of that, we had to put up with all the drunks doing their hatchett chopping in our faces on the way out. We left at the bottom of the 7th when it started getting out of hand.

It wasn't the greatest trip we have ever had being sick and then the horrendous ball playing of our team, but what can you do?

I will post more later. Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #4  

Good Morning, Flowers! It is gloomy and windy, windy, windy in my neighborhood this morning. The wind was coming mostly from the east yesterday; I finally went outside and took down my wind catcher, that we bought in Maui, because it kept hitting the post -- it has a glass ball that I didn't want to get broken. I have lots of projects I could work on today; I know I have some out-of-date items in a cupboard that have gotten shoved to the back. I need to dig and pitch.

Maggie -- Ernie likes to watch the Animal Planet, Discovery, or Travel channels when there are birds flying around. He will try to catch them as they fly across the screen. I'll bet RM wondered where in the world the toy was hiding. We buy the I bonds so get back whatever we pay for them w/o having to wait for them to mature. After 30 years they no longer earn interest, but we figure by then the kids will be through school and on their own. If used for college tuition, they don't have to pay taxes when they cash them in. Bob thinks maybe he put them in the safe deposit box at the bank.

"Gma" -- I'm glad you are all home again! I had to at you calling your seats close to the "fancy pants" section. I'm sorry the game wasn't a good one and you had to hike so far to get to your car. 90 degrees is way too hot this early! I sure don't know why people drink to get drunk; doesn't sound like fun to me.

Susan -- I hope you are having a grand time!

I need to get dressed and make a plan of action for the day. I have bell practice at 5, and will be done with that until fall after we play on Sunday.

Have a wonderful day in spite of the crazy weather!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-07-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #5  

Morning gals! I feel like I have been rode hard and put away wet as the saying goes, but I have so much laundry to get through and drag to the laundromat.

Jack will be home late as his MRI is at 4 pm. We will probably just have sandwiches for dinner tonight I imagine.

I am going to vacuum the downstairs rugs then
I am going to shampoo both living and dining carpet tomorrow. Between Marty and Fortune they need it. They are both old dogs now and don't have as much control as they used to I think. Fortune throws up more than he used to now too. It is usually just bile from getting choked, but it still stains. Maybe sooner or later I will have the money to just rip it all out and replace it.

Jean: I noticed my wind catcher has two of the gongs on the ground so we must have had wind here while we were gone. I put it out to keep away the birds, but I noticed they have again dive bombed my deck so all that has to be cleaned soon too. I told Jack I think about 25% of people that go to the ballpark don't go for the game, but to get plastered. We had 6 guys next to us, nice guys, probably between 35-45 but they had started drinking before they even sat down. I talked to the one closest to me and I could smell it on his breath and it was 2 hours before game time! He offered me boiled peanuts, which I had never had, and I tried one and they are disgusting. Boiling them makes them mushy and no taste like wallpaper paste, UGH!

I have a horrble headache from this sinus, cold, allergy whatever and today is last day I can take anything anti inflammatory wise until my procedure is over. I guess I will survive and try cold paks or something. I will be glad to have it over with even if I have to show up to the hospital at 5:30 AM!

Well, I guess I should go get a shower and continue to wash those clothes. Have a great hump day all! Faye
Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Humpday

GOOD EARLY AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

The wind is blowing (what's new for the Heartland blows) and it is a chilly 41 degrees. Glad that Will got planted what he did yesterday for we are due for some sprinkles. There is a place in town that sells used books for a buck and he brought me home one yesterday that is fun. It is the Readers Digests Household Hints & Handy Tips book and has some real neat stuff in it. It is a copy of the third printing that was done in 1989 but in new condition. I am going to have fun with it. I am thinking of getting the ingrediets rounded up for making my Peal a Pound Soup. I love soup and that is a good one that doesn't cost any points. I usually make a huge crock pot full and freeze a lot but don't have any in the freezer now. Will likes it if I put some of those frozen meatballs in it. I keep a bag of those in the freezer for they sure come in handy for lots of dishes. I like handy things to be in the freezer for on real nice days when we are busy I like something quick to fix for I don't really feel like baking or such on days like that. I am so glad that Will loves using his Webber but it is too windy this day to do that so I will have to figure what I want to make for dinner and get it out of the freezer. Probably baked pork chops and some of that rice mixture I have along with green beans. Yep when I get off here I will get some chops out to thaw.

JEAN Pets are so fun to watch when they are watching TV. Ragg Mopp was looking for that toy again this morning. It is a good thing if Bob did put those bonds in the bank box. Safer there than in a drawer at the house I would think.

DONNA FAYE I am so sorry you are having a miserable headache and hope you can get it to subside. Your seats at the game sound like they were good ones but the walk to the car was misery. No shuttles to take folks back to the cars? Those rude fans are just that ~ RUDE to get in your face like that. All of our wind catchers did such a grand job of catching the wind they are now not hanging up anymore. Found them taking a nap on the lawn. Did I say that the wind blows a lot here?

SUSAN Come back and regale us with tells of your trip.

Type at y'all later.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:21 AM   #7  

Good Morning, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly and it was a cold 24 degrees when I went downstairs this morning. It is supposed to warm up as the day goes along. I watched a robin take a bath and I swear he was shivering afterwards. I need to work on the "usual" chores this morning, make a visit to the bank, and buy a baby card later.

"Gma" -- I will be interested to hear what Jack's MRI shows. We have NO wind today which is a switch. We have so many windmills around this area, but it's nice to have a "quiet" day. I hope your headache is gone or at least a lot better today. I hate those sinus headaches!

Maggie -- Has the wind blown itself "out" in your neighborhood today? It is calm here right now. I will clip out "handy hints" from magazines and newspapers, then can never find the one I want when I need it most. I sometimes wish I had a small freezer again, but with the kids gone it seemed like I was getting food items with expiration dates too close to being used asap. I do like having the second full sized fridge in the basement; that comes in handy when the kids are here.

I need to get moving . . . WW is later this morning and then errands. I hope you all have an enjoyable day today!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

AH the sun is shining and the wind has died down in the Heartland to a slight breeze which I like. Will is at the Cancer center for his volunteer work and I am staying put waiting for FedX to bring his new phone. They tried to deliver it yesterday but we weren't home and I guess it has to be signed for. His other one froze up and so they ordered him a new one. I have new growth on my kitchen window plants so my setup with the grow lights is working. We are going to get new window treatment put up in the bedroom soon for we are going to get a new king sized bed and want to get the windows fixed up before we do. We will move the bed we are currently using downstairs in the guest room we are fixing up. It is one room that Will hasn't got his "stuff" in. I am so glad we have all that room downstairs for him to have his work station because we don't have a conventional garage ~ we have a covered car port. And what he does with his reloading needs to be in an area that can be secure. Anyway we are glad to have a guest room down there. Out back there are two of those barn looking sheds that lock up, which hold the lawn mower and garden utensils and hoses and such. I want to re-do the dining room windows also for what we have now just doesn't let in enough light. Actually what we have on those windows would look great with what we want to do in the bedroom. Now that is an idea that is worth investigating. If we use those it will depend what kind of bed covers we want. Yes, I do believe I will talk that over with Will when he gets home. I do know that we have decided on getting black iron head and foot boards and those window covers would look great with that setup.

JEAN Don't you just love to watch those Robins. Having a freezer sure has helped us with our budget for I can easily plan meals around what we put in there and nothing sits there to get too old. Plus, I have the freezer insert of my ice cream maker in there and it is always ready to use when we want to make some delectible frozen goodie. Ah, life is good. I just about forgot to mention that the e-mails I have been sending you the past couple of days have been bouncing back. Are you having computer problems?

Good day to you Donna Faye & Susan

I'll type at y'all later. Have a great spring afternoon.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-08-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #9  

Maggie -- It sounds like you are having a nice day! As far as I know I'm not having computer problems. At least none that I know of. I have been getting emails right along.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #10  

Good evening, ladies! It sure has been hot and dry. Thunderstorms are in the forecast for tonight for which I will be thankful if it washes all the pollen off my car.

Glory and I arrived at the retreat site around 2 pm on Sunday and drove past the mail box where the room keys were left for us twice before we noticed it. By 6 there were 6 of us and we went to VA Diner for dinner - ham biscuits (VA country ham, of course, and waldorf salad, made with VA peanuts not walnuts and a peanut sauce, not mayonnaise. Normally there are people working all the time but because it was a holiday everyone was off and we couldn't get in to set up the room until the security guard came on site at 10 pm. We had so much fun and so much good food and I got another quilt top done (avocado and orange, anyone?) and I finished an applique block I had started before I got there. Our cars were parked under pine trees and didn't move from Sunday until we left on Wednesday. There was a cloud of pollen when we opened the doors and trunk and another when we closed them. We walked from our rooms to the conference center, ate way too much, and the best thing is when I got home last night and weighed myself, I was down a pound. Now if that wasn't a fluke, I'll be down at WW weigh in tomorrow. I have to go tomorrow because I'm spending the night with my friend in Moon and going to a quilting class on Friday. Tomorrow morning is Guild meeting then lunch then off to the Moon!

My house is looking like new but now I have a lot of furniture polishing to get done and other cleaning to complete the new look. I'm really glad I decided to go all white. It is so much brighter in here and now I can decorate with any color.

More on Sunday.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #11  

Good morning gals! I have been seriously under the weather with allergies. I can only imagine what poor Susan might be going through. I am having bad headaches still and some congestion but I am going with Jack to his dr appt today to find out what the MRI said.

Jean: Yikes, 24 degrees still! We are having incredible warm weahter here and I hope it continues. I am hoping the thunderstorm we had night before last might have washed away pollen on everything. I use my small chest freezer for boxed stuff like ww meals and such and the fridge freezer for my meats. It's nice to have enough room for everything now.

Susan: Sounds like you had a great time at the retreat. Our trash can has sap all over it and is icky sticky and everything is covered in yellow. I have been sneezing my head off. I feel like my head is a huge balloon. Congrats on you loss! WTG!

Maggie: Some of your emails deliver and some spam and I imagine I don't get some at all so who knows with regard to my email service. Sounds like your herbs are going to town now. I have no room in the house to put herb pots and outside the nutty squirrel would destroy them.

You gals have a nice day and weekend. Faye
Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 PM   #12  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's another sunny cold day here; the bird bath was frozen this morning. I told Bob the robins will be ice skating instead of taking a bath. I just got home from having a perm -- the jury is still out on that one. She tried a different one this time so will see how I like it. My hair likes humidity so tends to be too curly in the summer. Bob should be home for lunch in another half hour or so.

Susan -- It was nice to see your post today! I'm glad you enjoyed your quilt retreat and know you will have a great time going to the Moon! I'll bet your house just feels squeaky clean with a new paint job.

"Gma" -- I hope you feel better as the day goes along. You mentioning the squirrels reminded me -- Beth hid plastic Easter eggs in their yard and a squirrel actually opened a couple and ate the candy inside! They watched from the window as the kids were getting ready to go outside.

I need to put a salad together for lunch. That's as far as we've come to the South Beach Diet this week! I have potatoes that I need to use up and then think we are set to go. I don't know if I can give up fruit for 2 weeks though. I did ask the WW leader (I lost 1.5#s yesterday) what she thought about that diet and she said she knew that a lot of heart doctors recommended it, but that it is restrictive. I haven't read the whole book yet.

Have a great "rest of the day!"

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Finally Friday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Another beautiful day here in the Heartland. The plants in the garden are loving the weather. Of course the seeds haven't come up yet but I am sure they will. Will brought be home another neat book he picked up for a dollar. It was out in 1993 and the title is Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell by Debra Waterhouse, M.P.H., R.D. touted as "the first weight control program designed specifically for women." Well I gotta tell ya it goes hand in hand with WW sensible eating with a bit more information about fat cells and geared for the female body. Like WW it says to "stop dieting and start eating." It is called the OFF program which stands for Outsmarting Female Fat. I am going to incorporate some of her good ideas into my program to bring it back alive.

JEAN The message I get back from you email program is that your mail program is full. I got a good chuckle about those birds ice skating. I hear that diet the doc put your husband is just like what your WW leader said. YIKES I would surley be unhappy to not have my fruit. No doubt you and your hubby will lose if you stick to it. CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss.

SUSAN Sounds like a good time at your retreat. The big plus is having all that fun food and still show a loss. CONGRATULATIONS. All of our walls are a tad off white ~ light cream I guess you could call it and is sure nice for decorating. I have a friend that lives in a very small place and so she grows her herbs in the bathroom. Put up a grow light above the toilet and set the pots on the back of the toilet and they look real cute in there.

DONNA FAYE Still have that awful headache do ya. That is miserable to say the least. Hope Jack gets a good MRI results. Are his alergies subsiding now also?

Too Hip Gotta Go... Time to start of loaf of bread. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 04-09-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #14  

Good morning to you all! I hope your Saturday has started out well. I plan on having breakfast then tackling the downstairs rugs I have never gotten to. I feel better today, thank goodness. I still have some head congestion but I noticed I am not "plugged up" like I have been. Funny though, the minute I am standing rather than sitting my head clears completely. I just don't want to have to go to the hospital all balloon headed on Tuesday.

Jean: SB is a restrictive diet and I couldn't stay on it, but then I tend to fight against programs where all foods aren't open to me. I think it is a good healthy diet and was developed by a doctor not some nut case wanting to make a buck. Gosh, are you guys not going to move into the warm weather or what? I had to laugh at Bob's discription of the poor birdies. Since birds don't have tongues (I don't think they do anyway) they will have to peck the ice instead of lick it until it melts!

Maggie: Jack has a torn maniscus (sp) and when we went to the dr yesterday they had made the appt for the wrong one ie the doctor that filled in for the originally dr so now he has to go again next Wednesday to see if this dr will recommend surgery to OJI. We are hoping he will because Dr Ferguson yesterday said the maniscus will not heal on its own and you either live with the pain or have it surgically repaired. He did say since Jack has been through all the other routes, ie Therapy and such that it is doubtful OJI will refuse to allow him to have surgery on it. Guess it takes 2 weeks to heal.

Sounds like Jack is starting breakfast so I need to hop on board. Have a wonderful Saturday all! Faye
Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #15  
Thin Within

Talking Sunny Saturday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a beautifull day here in the Heartland. Sun is shining and it is going to get up into the 70's and all is well. We don't have any plans to go anywhere this day so I will just have to plan on what food we will be consuming and make my menu. For breakfast (or the first meal of the day) I am going to make a smoothie. OH and I should make some of my business cards to take to our butcher in Lucas when we go on Monday. He said that some of the folks who have seen the buiiding I made for him want cards. I had only left one with him and he said he gave it away and wanted more. I might even make a glass holder for them this day or better yet I can take the one that I had previously in a shop in CA. It is cute and I will get it out, clean it up and use it. See how you folks help me decide things. I start typing and then thinking and it all comes together.

DONNA FAYE I sure hope that Jack can get his operation OK'd. Surely they will approve it. If not wouldn't they have to grant him disability with almost full pay since it happened while at work and surely he isn't able to work with it as it is and avoid further injury. Yep, they will OK the operation.

JEAN Has the birdbath melted now? Here is what the message says when I try to email you and it comes back:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

(I deleted your email address that was here)
maildrop: maildir over quota.

Is your mail box full? Or does your system think I am SPAM UM maybe that is it,

I hear ole Ragg Mopp sounding off so I had better close and go to the door for it is his "someones coming to the door bark".
Type at y'all later