Steel Magnolias -- #59

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am back! The afternoon was pretty quiet at the church office until the kids came in after school. Wed. is our "church" night and there is confirmation, then youth group w/supper afterwards. I usually have bell practice but we are practicing tomorrow night because a couple of the gals were going to be gone tonight. I had planned to fix a ham loaf for supper but there is not enough time so that will be dinner tomorrow I think.

Susan -- Wow! I didn't think about 8#s would equal 28,000 calories! Our WM is not busy in the mornings for some reason. It does get busier later in the afternoon after school is out, evenings, and on the weekends. I try not to go any more often than I absolutely have to, but there are some things not available anywhere else in town. Bob always asks if I can drive 75 miles (to Sioux City) to save $2.

Maggie -- I hope you are feeling much better today! It sounds like you have some snazzy looking socks! Did you buy a long gun, as in a rifle type, for Will? I'm sure he will love it!

"Gma" -- Did you see where Penneys will no longer put out their "big" catalog? I've gotten so many P. sale catalogs in the last few weeks, they could make a much bigger spring/fall catalog and forget the sale ones. I'm sure you will enjoy seeing your sister, bil, and step-aunt's family on Christmas Day. It's nice that you live close enough you can travel.

Bob should be home soon so think it will be eggs of some sort for supper. Have a nice evening!
  • Good morning all! It has stopped raining but pretty chilly this morning and boy is my shoulder sore. I don't know what brought about this round, but I had the heating pad on it all night then came down about 3 and sat in the chair with it on. I can barely lift my right arm it is so sore and I have clinic today. Their chair is uncomfortable at best so I imagine I am going to be miserable pretty much, but I called off my last one so I feel I can't call her again.

Jean: I get bazillions of catalogues at Christmas time because I order online so much I imagine. I get them from places I have never even heard from let alone the ones I do use, which come about every week, ie Penney's sales catalogues. I am not surprised they are going to quit it. It is a lot of money wasted I think. You can go online and look at everything and the majority of people including older folks have computers with internet service nowadays. I couldn't find the combo I liked for the holiday so just bought they a nice gift box of goodies from Swiss Colony. He has a sweet tooth I know and likes snacking so I am sure the stuff will get eaten.

I am now down to just finishing up T's Christmas stuff then it is back to wrapping again. I bought more wrapping paper and bows at the Christmas Shop in South Bend when I was up there so have plenty now. I may be short on boxes though. I always put stuff in t's stocking and since we will have Ruthie, I think I am going to take the little pink bag I felted for her and put stocking stuffers in it and make it her stocking then just take T's stocking over to him when we go Christmas Eve.

My poor doggy! It seems like every time we have to kennel him he comes home and has pink tinged urine for awhile, which the vet says is from anxiety. This time he has vomited once a couple days ago and he can't control his urine so has peed all over the house. I can't yell at him as I imagine it is the same feeling humans have when they get urinary tract infections, having the urge to go all the time. I am going to give it one more day and if he isn't showing signs of improvement it will be to the vet we go. He is putting out poo so I know he is eating and I see him drinking a lot so I am hoping it is working itself out. What can you do when you have no one that can watch him? I tried to find a dog sitter the last time we went to Vegas but no one will do it in our area. When we go to Indiana in April for the annual Cubs game, we will just take him with us and stay in a pet friendly hotel I guess.

Well, I better get going and get some work done since I have clinic today. Have a nice Thursday all! Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It is snowing in my neighborhood this morning. If it keeps going at this rate we could have some staying on the ground before long. It was 17 degrees when I went downstairs this morning. I forgot to turn the thermostat down last night so sent Bob back down to do it. I told him "70" and he did 68 -- it was 63 degrees when I went downstairs! From now on I'll do it myself even if I have to get out of bed to do it.

I'm planning on staying home today! I need to clean bathrooms and should look for the Christmas cards I bought last year. I have no excuse for them being late this year.

"Gma" -- I hope your shoulder feels better. Bob complains that his shoulders hurt and he can tell when the weather is going to change. I've tried to get him to go have them checked out but you know men. It's nice that you can spoil your niece; I'm sure she will get a kick out of all the surprises you have for her. I hope that Fortune can get better on his own! I know that dogs are happiest when either at home or with their family. We see lots of travelers with their dogs at the rest stops around the area. Have a nice afternoon at the clinic -- hopefully you will just be busy enough to make the time go fast.

I'm to everyone else and hope you all have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Good morning, ladies! The sun is out and its in the 60s so I am happy today.

Faye, sorry your shoulder is acting up. I hope it stops soon. You have such good gift ideas. That is very clever to use the purse for stocking stuffers.

Jean, I have a programmable thermostat because I was always forgetting to turn the heat down at night (and also the gas company was giving them away for free). I like to have it come on before I get up, turn off while I at work and them come on again around 3:30, and then down to 68 for the night at 8:30. I've saved a lot with it.

Hi, Maggie. I hope the computer isn't acting up again.

Have a great day!
  • Good morning to you all! It is way too cold down here this morning. I actually have the furnace running!

Jean: You just keep that nasty ole snow up there with you. I absolutely don't want any at all this year. I keep hoping that we won't get any and that not having any in Indiana when we went this year is a good omen that I won't end up with any here. The last three times we have been to Indiana for Thanksgiving, it has snowed either before or during our trip. Yck! I am having a lot of night sweats so have the fan on all night. I imagine I freeze Jack out half the time as we turn the furnace down so it won't get too hot upstairs at night. This old condo is drafty and though I do my best it isn't always enough to keep the heat in the house very well.

Susan: We have a programmable one too, but sometimes it drives me nuts. I think it has a mind of its own and partly because we forget to reset the clock in it when the time changes. Does yours change with the seasons automatically or do you have to remember to set it too?

Maggie: Almost missed your post on the other thread. Sounds like you are gearing up for holiday parties and such. I just emailed my niece about food instructions and what she likes and such and told her I am going shopping next weekend for groceries so if I don't hear from her she will be at my mercy and be stuck with WW foods!

I finished the back of the sweater and now am tackling the front. A little stressed about the time frame, but I can finish the front in a couple days if I keep at it and the sleeves won't be too hard. I just have to quit being lured back to my socks all the time.

It was pretty quiet at clinic yesterday but the chairperson is a bit overzealous. She is making all these rules right and left and some of them she and I are going to butt heads over I am afraid or I am not going to be volunteering. She is pretty anal about some really stupid stuff frankly and some of these new "rules" of hers are just ridiculous. She is going to find this old broad won't be too easy to push around and I love to work the clinic, but we shall see.

Well, I am going to a charity Carrousel of Shoppes with Kelly this morning that is run by our school for the deaf. We haven't been in a couple years and they moved it to the agricenter so there may be more booths. I don't ever buy anything because it is all way too expensive in my opinion. Kelly has free tickets this year so invited me to go.

Have a great weekend all! Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! There are huge lazy snowflakes falling this morning. Yesterday's flurries covered the driveway so maybe winter is seriously here this time. It is colder -- 15 degrees when I went downstairs this morning. I should go through my Christmas gifts and start wrapping so I know what I have left to get. I'm at a loss for Zowie as she likes "princess" stuff and has most of it. I didn't look for my cards yesterday so could do that too. I have more motivation when the sun is shining!

Susan -- The problem with our thermostat is that it is right across from the fireplace and if we have that on, the heat goes right up the stairs to the bedrooms. I don't know how that would work with a programmable one -- the furnace might not ever come on. I've thought about getting a programmable one and then I wouldn't have to get out of bed to set it down at night when I forget to do it. Is the name of your WW leader Tonya H.? I shared her newsletter with my online WW leader friend and she was wondering as she exchanges items with other leaders. I told her I would ask.

"Gma" -- We've heard that we are supposed to have a warmer winter and then just the opposite with very cold and lots of snow. I guess we will know when spring gets here. I see where the southern states are supposed to get some snow; what a treat for the kids! Is the chairperson around when you work in the clinic? If not, can you just do things as you please regardless of what she says? I'm sure they would hate to lose you since you are so dependable!

I need to make a grocery list, and get going. Hope you all have a good day and a sunny weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Good evening, ladies! Colder today with a forecast of rain and/or snow tonight and tomorrow. If it does snow, it won't last.

I went to Curves today and the library, just doing house stuff the rest of the day.

Faye, make someone a chairperson and they have to makes rules to show everyone they are in charge. Ignore her. My thermostat has to be set for daylight savings time and the change back, mainly because it is programmed to change on the old schedule. I have confidence you will be finished with the sweater in no time. I had to laugh when you said you wanted to sneak back to your socks after you didn't make any for so many years.

Jean, the programmable thermostats all have an override feature so you can temporarily change the setting if you are using your fireplace. My leader is Tonya H. She is a gem. I've got to get my cards done this weekend, too.

Hi, Maggie!

Have a good evening, I'm going to make Tuna and Noodles for dinner.
  • Good morning to you all! Darn it is cold here this morning. I brought Fortune down around 2 am and got into the chair and went back to sleep, but got cold. Ok, this is silly but it works for me. Seems like when I get cold if I put the blanket over my head and go back to sleep I warm up immediately. So, that is what I did. I put Fortune's Christmas sweater on him yesterday so he could stay warm too.

Kelly and I went to the carrousel of shoppes yesterday and had a very nice time. I bought several different food mix items from a couple of vendors. Sort of a take on Maggie's jar things. I am going to go to the store later and get grated cheese and make Old Mexico Cheese soup for dinner tonight. The nice thing is you can use lowfat or ff stuff in all of these mixes which definitely makes them WW friendly for the most part. I bought several things from this Company's Comin' booth that is from Texas and had all these great tasting soups and casseroles. I also bought a taco soup mix that you can use to make a dip and they have the ff recipe to make. I think I may take it to Kelly's for our Christmas together and I bought a key lime pie mix that you make a cheese ball with but can make a pie with so will make a small pie and take it for dessert. We are all going to go out to Cracker Barrel for dinner. I could have spent $$$$$$ there and found some gorgeous handbags, but though I died walking away I did. I just can't spend the money on myself right now with Christmas and another trip and such. Heaven's how I wanted that bag though! lol It was so much fun to go with Kelly. We had a great time.

Jack got our new faucets in upstairs and they look great. Poor guy, took him 3 hours and he soaked all my old towels that I use for projects underneath the sink but he finally got it done. It had the original's in it and these condos are 40 years old so you know how corroded and limed they were. He has never done a plumbing job before but now he knows what to do and can change out the one's in our bathroom after the holidays are over.

Jean: I feel like it could snow here this morning though I doubt it is truly cold enough. I just hate winter anymore as my getting older makes my joints ache more and more. I just have to work through it and get out and exercise I guess. It was tough walking around that big building yesterday because I still cramp in my intestinal area when I walk very far, but I just had to suck it up and go on. I don't know if that will ever go away and so I have to learn to live with it and just keep on truckin' as they say.
    Kelly said the rules may be ones that either the district or the pta set up, but these are district rules. One of them that just popped up was no eating or drinking. Everyone I would come and in an relieve would have some kind of drink, be it water, soda or coffee. I eat my lunch during that time since I am on a scheduled eating plan so will have to decide what to do about it. Anyway, the rules that are important like when to call parents, what do do in certain emergencies like asthma attacks, how to send stuff home with kids and such I follow rigidly and these others will be dealt with as they come up I guess.

Susan: Kelly told me my niece is sort of Goth so I imagine this cute sweater is just not her. Her dad had told her I was making her one, the big mouth, so yesterday I emailed her, described it and told her to tell me the truth if she won't wear something like it as I will just finish it and give it to my best friend for her birthday in May. So we shall see. I got my new full set of nickel plated sock needles and yarn, more yarn, beautiful yarn, fabulous yarn...... Sorry, lost control for a minute! You were right, I am totally hooked on socks now.

Well gals, I have a ton and I mean a ton of cleaning to do today and moving furniture and getting rugs shampooed and going to the store so I have got to get started on some of it anyway. You all have a fun, fun Saturday! Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! I have another load of laundry going and unloaded the dishwasher. I had one "looker" in the gift shop this morning (he was grubby and I didn't want him to touch anything!), one visitor (she was an IA and I took her place when she retired), and one buyer (me!). They have some nice greeting cards and much cheaper than Hallmark.

Susan -- Your tuna and noodles sounds good! I haven't made that in quite awhile. Every time I do I think of when Jason was little. He just hated it and would actually gag while eating it. Looking back I think it was probably too dry for him. I wish someone would make my weekly menu and then do the shopping.

"Gma" -- The Carrousel of Shoppes sounds like it would be so much fun. Do any of the food items you bought have a website? It all sounds delicious! I'm glad Jack was able to put the new faucets in. When we remodeled the bathrooms everything has a shut off valve so the entire house isn't w/o water if Bob has to work on one leak. Bob learned by doing things himself and has even done some simple wiring. He has far more patience than I do. I certainly don't understand why you couldn't at least have water at the clinic. If you eat, who would know? I'd sneak it, one bite at a time! Maybe your niece would wear something done in black if she's into Goth. We had a few of those at school and I often thought they looked plain silly. I know you will enjoy your new sock needles and yarn!

Not much else is happening here. I feel like I could easily take a nap! Hope you all have a nice "rest of the day."

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Morning gals. Another chilly day here. We are going to continue working on the downstairs today getting it ready for Ruth to come in a couple weeks.

I got Thomas'a John Lennon watch yesterday and he is going to just love it. It is that rubber style so it will hold up to a kid's banging around and has enough holes on the band his tiny wrist will be able to wear it without it falling off and long into adulthood actually. I had to buy an "as is" which means no warranty, but it is brand new. I bought it from QVC and paid $50 for it but it retailed for $100 so got a good deal. It has the box, the little velvet drawstring bag it goes into, the little plastic seals over the back and front to keep from scratching, is totally pristine in every way and it can be returned until January 31 to QVC for full refund. It just doesn't have a warranty. These are watches they use on live tv to demonstrate. It is sort of a buy a new car where the salesmen have driven them and though new has to be sold as a used car kind of thing. John Lennon was an artist and did cartoon renditions of himself. That is the face of the watch with his signature then the band has these little renditions down both sides with his signature interspursed so it is quite cool for a kid and hip for someone older. I can't wait to give it to him. For me, part of giving gifts is the scouting out just the right thing that is perfect. Now if I didn't have to wrap them the whole procedure would be great!

Jean: Hope you enjoy the websites I sent you. They have some terrific stuff. I broke down and made the dip to try since it only uses 3 tb of the spice mix. It is pretty darn good and will adapt just fine to ff sour cream, ff mayo and ff cream cheese to make a great snack dip. Would be terrific if you are having any kind of holiday parties.

Not much else ticking here. I am reading a new book by JD Robb, Kindred in Death and I think I missed one in this series as the character keeps referring to someone murdered that I don't remember from previous books. Have to do some hunting.

Have a grand day today. Going to go and get myself some breakfast and get started. Faye
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is windy, cold, dark, and gloomy in my corner of the world today. We have a 90% chance of snow late this afternoon and tonight. Yippee! I was awake at 5 and got up since I knew the alarm would go off at 5:30. I had to be at church by 7:30 to set up the bells. We were awesome according to some of the comments after church. They would like a service of just bell choir and a short sermon sometime. We said to run that one by the pastors. I'm drying my last load of laundry and should do some ironing. I've had a nap and read the papers so haven't accomplished much this afternoon.

"Gma" -- The Lennon watch sounds like a great find! I assume the price is less since there is no warranty. I'm sure T will love it! When you use FF sour cream, etc., does the dip or whatever get watery sooner if you don't eat it all? I just got on the computer so will search out the websites when I am done here. My "one and only" party is card club unless we get invited somewhere and asked to bring snack food to share. Once in a great while I will make a veggie dip if the kids are coming home. They think they can't eat carrots unless they can 'dip.' Have you seen the movie Blind Spot? My "mom and sister" went over Thanksgiving and said it was good. I did a google search and I'm not sure it's one I really want to see. I'm not a big Hitler fan/historian, but maybe it would be good.

The dryer is buzzing so I'm off! Have a nice "rest of the day!"

A 3 day winter weather watch just came over the Weather Bug update. Joy!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Good evening ladies! It was a lovely sunny day, but it's already down to 38 degrees.

My First Thursday Bee had our annual potluck Christmas lunch today. Too much good food. I'm not eating anymore today. I only took 1 small spoon of each food and a little dessert. Everything was great but I'm not used to sugar and the dessert has upset my stomach. We all had our little Christmas Tree quilts finished. It's amazing how different they all are.

My chest has been feeling really tight and I have a bit of a cough so I'm really praying I'm not coming down with bronchitis again. I think I'm going to make a cup of tea and then call it a day and go to bed.

Have a good evening.
  • Good morning to you all! It is rainy here and around upper 30's at the moment. We are supposed to be staying in the upper 40's and 50's all this week and next so we are having a bit warmer weather than usual, I think.

Jean: I haven't even heard of the movie "Blind Spot." I am about 8th jewish and definitely get cringy with Hitler movies. We did go to the theater and see Valkyrie when it came out, but though I would like to see the movie "The kid in the striped pajamas" that is finally showing on the movie channels, I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. It is about a concentration camp commandant's son and a jewish boy in the camp who become friends through the barbed wire. Hope you don't get too bad of a time with your weather.

Susan: Oh gosh, hope you aren't getting sick either. You don't need to be back in the hospital. I would have loved to seen all the different quilts. It is always fun to see different ideas of the same theme. Did you see this? My dil sent it to me and I thought it was cool.
    http://www.facebook.com/l/efbe3;CNN.com

I am finally doing t's second set of socks for Christmas. I think it will become his favorite knitting thing from me from now on. The color is turning out terrific too. You never know when you start yarn like that what it will look like until you get about 10 rows finished. His is coming out striped it looks like.

We got the carpets shampooed, including doing my big area rag rug and we put it out over the fence to dry since it was sunny and breezy yesterday. I am still finishing up the cleaning as I pooped out after moving all the furniture and shampooing and rearranging and such, then had to wait until the carpets dried to move some stuff back. I have also taken down all my decor on my mantel, entertainement center etc so I can put up Christmas stuff this weekend after we get the tree. I found a spot for the tree this year, but it is going to definitely have to be smaller than last years.

Jack is going to play Santa a week from tonight for Thomas's Cub Scout troop's Christmas Party. We bought a suit years ago when my nieces and nephews were little and we had Christmas at our apartment one year. That was a lot of fun. I bought those Christmas crackers and everything. It was a 2000 sq foot apartment so there was room for everyone to sit down and eat. I had borrowed tables from the church. Jack had fun and I am sure he will with the Cub Scouts too if he is feeling better. He is catching a cold I think as he was pretty hoarse sounding this morning though he said he didn't feel bad.

Well gals, I need to get the sheets into the dryer and get some work done. Have a great start to your week. Keep warm and dry and always remember to Faye

Faye
  • Good morning to you all! It is rainy here and around upper 30's at the moment. We are supposed to be staying in the upper 40's and 50's all this week and next so we are having a bit warmer weather than usual, I think.

Jean: I haven't even heard of the movie "Blind Spot." I am about 8th jewish and definitely get cringy with Hitler movies. We did go to the theater and see Valkyrie when it came out, but though I would like to see the movie "The kid in the striped pajamas" that is finally showing on the movie channels, I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. It is about a concentration camp commandant's son and a jewish boy in the camp who become friends through the barbed wire. Hope you don't get too bad of a time with your weather.

Susan: Oh gosh, hope you aren't getting sick either. You don't need to be back in the hospital. I would have loved to seen all the different quilts. It is always fun to see different ideas of the same theme. Did you see this? My dil sent it to me and I thought it was cool.
    http://www.facebook.com/l/efbe3;CNN.com

I am finally doing t's second set of socks for Christmas. I think it will become his favorite knitting thing from me from now on. The color is turning out terrific too. You never know when you start yarn like that what it will look like until you get about 10 rows finished. His is coming out striped it looks like.

We got the carpets shampooed, including doing my big area rag rug and we put it out over the fence to dry since it was sunny and breezy yesterday. I am still finishing up the cleaning as I pooped out after moving all the furniture and shampooing and rearranging and such, then had to wait until the carpets dried to move some stuff back. I have also taken down all my decor on my mantel, entertainement center etc so I can put up Christmas stuff this weekend after we get the tree. I found a spot for the tree this year, but it is going to definitely have to be smaller than last years.

Jack is going to play Santa a week from tonight for Thomas's Cub Scout troop's Christmas Party. We bought a suit years ago when my nieces and nephews were little and we had Christmas at our apartment one year. That was a lot of fun. I bought those Christmas crackers and everything. It was a 2000 sq foot apartment so there was room for everyone to sit down and eat. I had borrowed tables from the church. Jack had fun and I am sure he will with the Cub Scouts too if he is feeling better. He is catching a cold I think as he was pretty hoarse sounding this morning though he said he didn't feel bad.

Well gals, I need to get the sheets into the dryer and get some work done. Have a great start to your week. Keep warm and dry and always remember to

Faye
  • Good Morning, Flowers! It's a cold sunny monring in my neighborhood. The Weatherbug says it is 8 degrees with a windchill of 0 -- too cold! Our winter storm watch starts tonight and into tomorrow. Sioux City (an hour west of us) is to get 6 - 10" w/20 - 30 mph winds. Maddy's Christmas program is scheduled for tomorrow night and we had planned to go over early and do some shopping. That probably won't happen if the weather does. Sometimes we get their weather and sometimes it goes to the north and south of us. The farmers blame the windmills!

Susan -- I'm surprised that your temperature is that cold. Guess I think of the southern states as always being much warmer than we are. I would love to have seen all of the Christmas quilts at the Bee. Do you keep them or what happens to them? I hope you are feeling better this morning and manage to avoid getting a cold or bronchitis.

"Gma" -- I'm more apt to go to comedy and "happily ever after" movies. What was on the Facebook page that was of interest that you wanted to share? You are having more fun with your socks! I'm sure Thomas will love them. Jack will have as much fun as the kids when he plays Santa. I see your message posted twice for some reason. Gremlins are at work once again!

I need to make a grocery list and head for the store before every other Tom, Dick, and Harry has the same idea. It takes longer since I don't know where everything is and have to do some back tracking. They put the item signs on the end of the aisles instead of in the middle and too many people stop in the line of traffic to read them instead of moving to the side. Makes me wonder how they drive their cars.

Hope you all have a great day and stay warm!

Jean -- in Iowa!