Old 11-30-2009, 02:00 PM   #76  
LEAN, STRONG and SEXY

S/C/G: 252/Tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Snowbound, So glad to have you. I spent 10 days in the Artic on a student exchange trip back in April 1982 and I remember spending one night in an igloo during -50C with chill factor, I thought that was hard. I could not imagine living an entire winter with those temps. My hat is off to you.

Where in the Yukon are you exactly. I like to watch the different areas of where we live on the weather channel. It will be a new place for me to watch for.
2b125by46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

I'm in Dawson City. We are having an unusually warm and mild winter so far we haven't even reached -30 yet. I'm sure it won't last two much longer. Last winter we had unprecedented zero and rain in January and then plunged back down to -40, it was insane and I was traveling at the time. It's a 6-8 hour drive to Whitehorse depending on the weather and since I was traveling home with my son who just had surgery it was a 9 hour drive, just him and my brother and me.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #78  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

DONNA ~ so glad you joined us here; I kept telling my DH that I know there are lots of Canadians on this site, we just have to find them again ... have you ever tried SKI-WALKING (sometimes called Nordic walking)? I love it -- as I have Spina Bifida which makes walking in snow and sand very difficult. My ski poles have been a God-send; they help me walk so much easier and I can go further and faster with a whole body workout too. This is becoming a hugely popular personal sport here; I see people out walking with poles summer and winter now ...

TRICIA ~ I live up north in the Timmins area: I actually live in a small village outside of Timmins, but if you check the northern job posts, I'm sure you'll find them for our town (and if you want my actual town, I will PM you). I think the northern part of the province is always looking for professionals like yourself; we have a hard time getting people to come up here, but it is so nice here. So do check it out!

We had a busy day shopping; lots of walking and had a lovely Spit BBQ chicken dinner tonight with coleslaw. Just a wee sprinkle of ***** snow here and our temps are around 0C right now, going a few degrees less during the night maybe; not too bad really and a mild winter so far for us too (we just got steady snow this week).

Take good care, and hope you all have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY tomorrow ... Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-30-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #79  

S/C/G: 265.6/ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Rosebud - hmm i will have to PM you..

My ultimate goal is to go up to Yukon, NWT or Nunavut to work for a year. I think it would be awesome and a new experience. I am still doing my BScN through athabasca university but that will take years to finish.

Donna - welcome to the group!!!
tricia80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:16 AM   #80  
LEAN, STRONG and SEXY

S/C/G: 252/Tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Interviewing today for new fulltime position within the company. Wish me luck.
2b125by46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #81  

Rosebud, no I've never tried Ski-Walking, there are a few people around here that do it. Something I will have to look into. Thanks.

I was born and raised in this very town. I got out for school but this is my forever home, I don't think I will ever leave.

Thanks for the welcome ladies.

Doing pretty good today, got a great sleep and eating is going well today. Just finished sipping on my green tea! Gotta stay warm.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM   #82  

Donna can i move in??? any need for LPN's up there.. LOL

Rosebud - i can't pm people and i don't know why.. could be the whole new person thing...

Ok so today i have behaved... and its getting a bit easier.. although i am hungry and waiting... so we shall see.. My water intake has been bad today so i will do my philosphy work and drink drink drink...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 PM   #83  
Rosebud

TRICIA ~ you should be able to check jobs postings for any northern town or city all across this country either online or thru MANPOWER or what may now be called the employment human resource centers; I am a bit out of touch as I don't work anymore and I know the feds and province merged to make a new service.

I am in northern Ontario, not the territories. The city of Timmins is the biggest city in the James Bay Frontier, but they are part of a group of hospitals in this region that have job postings year-round; but you should be able to find specific job listings for any of the territories as well. Just go into one of the centers and I'm sure they would be glad to help you out.

BTW, the PM's aren't working right now for anyone; just another glitch that they are working on, I'm sure ...

Well, we had a bit more ***** fall last night, but only a couple of inches. We had a busy day here hunting down decorations, and our timer for our outdoor lights; caught up on my laundry; and was on my feet a bit too much today so it's time for a rest now ...

Take good care ladies; and yes, do keep nice and warm up there, DONNA ... and everyone else too! Rosebud

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-01-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #84  

I have a friend in Timmins.. See that is just that much closer to the North for me.. I am currently waiting for stuff to open up in Kapskasing (sp?)

I have all the websites for the government of yukon, NWT and nunavut on my computer.. I am just waiting for a call back.. No one wants a southwestern ontario lady.. LOL..

Oh well i need to make it through this stupid Philosphy course.. I hate hate hate hate it...
Old 12-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2b125by45 View Post
Interviewing today for new fulltime position within the company. Wish me luck.

Good Luck!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #86  

S/C/G: 304/294/200

Hello Canadians!!

Thanks for the invite. I live in rural Manitoba, born and raised in Ontario though.

We have had awesome weather all of November and that made getting out and walking a real pleasure.

Snow tomorrow- sort of looking forward to it, but then again driving on icy highways is never a good time.

Nice to see Donna from the Yukon here. She can keep us in line when we start moaning about the cold.
CeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM   #87  
Rosebud

TRICIA ~ Yes, Kapaskasing (or Kap for short here) is a nice city too; it is a bit smaller than Timmins -- around 20,000 population maybe (including catchment area). While it is true that more northern towns are giving preference to northern students, most will hire southeners who have the right qualifications. Don't forget we do have nursing colleges up here; one right in Timmins (South Porcupine Campus) so they do have a pool to choose from as well. Just keep looking and applying though, becuz you just never know when a place further north might come open ...

2b ~ yes, sending good thoughts and prayers for your interview as well!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #88  
Rosebud

CEEJAY ~ it can get pretty cold up here too, but DONNA does indeed have the coldest temps for sure. We love to complain about our weather though: it's a national past-time here in Canada.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #89  

Welcome Ceejay...

Kap has more ppl than my town.. I live in Elmira i think population 12,000

My complaints tonight will not be weather but be all about Philosphy... i hate hate hate it.. and don't understand the stupid sentence i have to evaluate... i even posed it on facebook to get other ppls ideas..
Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #90  

Well, I really don't have much to complain about up here. I woke up to -5C. It's crazy warm right now. Tomorrow, Hubby and I are heading to Whitehorse, he's getting his 10 year pin for work so we get a free trip and we are doing our Christmas shopping. The three boys are staying behind with my parents! Yay! It'll be like a little honeymoon. We haven't had a night just the two of us in almost 2 years.

I'm not doing so great and not sure why, probably too much salt, yesterday I was 295 and I was all yes! in the right direction and this morning was up to 299. It's a struggle right now and it's very depressing but trying to keep positive. I know I can do this, I've done it before!

Hubby got his new computer yesterday and we had it hooked up but then I couldn't get on the internet with my computer, I have to figure out all the wires again and maybe call my telephone company to see if I have to do anything special with my router.

Water intake not so good and I'm starting to wonder if it's what's giving me headaches, been fighting one for two days now.

Tricia - you wouldn't want to live with me, I have 3 wild boys! I love them to death and they are sweet but still pretty wild. My middle one turns 5 on monday and my youngest will be 3 in a month.

Stay warm everyone!

Last edited by SnowboundChick; 12-02-2009 at 12:34 PM.