3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   New CANADIAN WINTER Thread ... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/185564-new-canadian-winter-thread.html)

Justwant2Bhealthy 11-11-2009 09:30 PM

This is my favorite Remembrance Day Poem/song. As you all should know, the author was a Canadian soldier who came from the city I went to high school in -- Guelph, Ontario; and I even like to sing it sometimes ...

IN FLANDERS FIELDS by John McCrae (1872-1918)

In Flanders fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago.
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
... In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch be yours to hold it high,
If ye break faith with us who die --
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
... In Flanders fields.

AR4life 11-11-2009 09:51 PM

It's my favourite also Rosebud.
My Grandpa was in WW1 and dad was in WW2. Neither of them spoke about the war. Dad was in the RCAF.
Brave men and women all, lest we forget.....................

elaine19 11-12-2009 01:06 AM

I found out today from my grandmother that my great grandfather fought at Vimy Ridge, and another great- great grandfather fought on the Plains of Abraham.... I am 37 years old and I had no idea that I had men in my family that fought and were wounded for my freedom. I have always been grateful to those in the military, but now I feel a bit more connected. And truly proud to be Canadian!!

Ruthxxx 11-12-2009 07:11 AM

I can't remember a Remembrance Day when it wasn't cold and wet but yesterday was great! I guess we are now in Indian Summer and, IMHO, we deserve it after a cold and soggy October. October is usually my second favourite month (after May) but this year it was a wash - in more ways than one!

Later this month I am visiting a 3FC friend in the States to celebrate American Thanksgiving and am starting to realize I need to get my Christmas stuff organized. My DD is in Nanaimo and it sure would be a relief to get her family gifts mailed out before I go. Somehow I think it would be cheaper to mail them from the States but getting through security would be a hassle. I had to open a wrapped gift once.

I know it's early but I'm going to take advantage of the sunshine today to get the lights and garlands onto the front porch. No turning on until December though. When do you decorate and light up? Around here some folks are already on it!

Justwant2Bhealthy 11-12-2009 07:39 PM

Gee, I tried to get in here all day and couldn't for some unknown reason; others had the same problem. Finally got creative and got in by coming in on an old thread directly ... :shrug:

RUTH ~ we put up our outdoor Christmas decos yesterday for the same reason you want to; the great weather. We had :sunny: all day yesterday (three days in a row; four if you count part of today too), so it was the perfect time to do it. We won't be turning them on until December 1st thought to save on hydro, of course (as I'm doing great keepin' our bills down and want to keep it that way) ... ;)

Had another busy day today; did some more sorting of our spare room and tossed out 3 boxes today. The room is half empty now and that is with all our Christmas boxes in there too, so we are almost done ... yeah! :carrot:

We really had to downsize when we moved here last year, but it was so rushed that we just packed and moved, so we have been spending the last year unpacking and sorting and donating the good stuff and tossing the junk as well. Couldn't believe how much we had accumulated over 16.5 years; way too much, that's how much ... :lol:

We had nice wild pacific salmon with mixed rice and french style green beans for dinner and it was very nice; poached the fish in lite Ceasar dressing and it was yummy. So I got lots of walking and exercise for today as well. Hope you all have a fabulous Friday tomorrow ... Rosebud :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy 11-14-2009 10:10 PM

:wave: Well, I wasn't the only one who couldn't get in here since Thursday, but the site it back up and so far, it seems to be running smoothly ... yeah for that! :carrot:

Actually, I had a quiet day at home, as we awoke to :rain: this AM, but the sun did try to peak out a few times. I chatted with a lot of family and a friend today; and had a very restful day.

We had homemade ww Pita Pizzas for dinner tonight; this one of my all-time favorites as I just love, love, love pizza, and this is a much lighter version but just as yummy!

Hope you all are having a great weekend too; take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

elaine19 11-14-2009 11:39 PM

Rosebud, have you been married for 16 years? I have too:) anyway, I am still raking my lawn, and have not yet gotten out one holiday decoration... but I am almost finished my shopping only 2 people left to buy for:)!!! yeh!!
hope you have a great , peaceful weekend!

Judy Lynn 11-15-2009 07:32 PM

Hi everyone! We are back from vacation, and while it was lovely, it is so nice to be home. The weather was hot most of the time, and it was nice to have a bit of summer in November.

Well, back to work tomorrow, and I just have to get back to exercising. I think DH and I may get a treadmill and I will give up my gym membership. Might as well, as I don't use it anyway.

We get delivery of our new couch and chair this week, just have to arrange a time when one of us can be home during the day. We special ordered it about 3 months ago, so I hope it is nice. We've waited so long I can't even remember the fabric we picked it out.

Well, have a good Sunday evening.

Justwant2Bhealthy 11-15-2009 08:21 PM

JUDY LYNN ~ welcome back; we have been fortunate here as we still don't have any ***** on the ground; what we did get all melted. :carrot:

ELAINE ~ actually, we have been married since June 1989, so that's 20+ years. We had lived in our previous place for 16.5 years of that, and had accumulated way too much stuff, so we have been downsizing bigtime. :lol:

We had a funny mixed bag of weather today; some :sunny: and some :rain: and some ***** and some ~~~~~ (that's big winds) ... it couldn't make up it's mind ...

We just had a relaxed day today, as I decided to take it easy after such a busy week as my legs were a bit tired. Hope you all have a superbly peaceful and restful Sunday evening too .... Rosebud :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy 11-17-2009 10:47 PM

:wave: We had the most beautiful day today. We had :sunny: all day long. We just did stuff around the house this AM, then we decided to do a bit of Christmas shopping and then we went for a ride to a few of our favorite lakes. It was a glorious day ... just way too nice to stay indoors. We got home just as the sun was getting ready to set ...

We found another small ornament to put on our front deck becuz we had one space that was a bit empty. We found an adorable shovel with penquins on it that will look great beside our moose-reigndeer. I also got some lovely snowflake stickies for our front window and a few sparkly snowflakes for our little Christmas tree too.

Made a nice cassoulet bean pot for lunch with some leftover roast pork and veggies from Sunday; and had sole fish for dinner. Got lots of walking in at the store (did this on purpose), then we went for our lovely drive.

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY tomorrow; and take good care of yourselves too ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

Judy Lynn 11-18-2009 08:44 AM

Rosebud, sounds like you had a really nice day. You must be retired. I wish I could retire, or even work part time, but we really can't afford it. My job is so boring, some days (like yesterday) just seem endless.

We are supposed to have a high of 7 degrees here today. I may go for a walk on my lunch hour if it isn't too windy. Yesterday the wind was howling something fierce!

Well, off to get ready for the day. Have a great day everyone!

Justwant2Bhealthy 11-19-2009 10:57 AM

:wave: HELLO FRIENDS ~ we also have gorgeous weather here right now; it seems our fall has finally arrived, and what a blessing it is. We put up some snowflakes in our front window yesterday afternoon, and they look so pretty -- they are a very inexpensive decoration, yet they look so lovely (only $2.99 or less for a sheet of 12) from our local hardware store.

JUDY LYNN ~ Yes, we both used to work, but retired (at different times) due to health problems (DH is a fair bit older than I am too). I often advise young people now to put some of their income away (in savings), becuz we just never know what health problems may sneak up on us as we get older.

Do you have any ***** (aka snow) out there yet? I see that they do have some in the mountains in BC already, or did they make that with machines? :chin: I read today that they opened up the ski runs early in preparation for the Winter Olympics which will be held there soon. Will have to keep our eyes peeled for that, eh ...

Hope all our fellow Canadians are having as wonderful weather as we are ... Rosebud :hug:

AR4life 11-19-2009 11:39 PM

We had a nice morning and then back to rain and some wind. Typical November weather. :)

No snow here but the mountains are covered and doing well already. Hopefully it holds till Feb for the Olympics.

Not sure if I'm ready to start decorating yet, I may put mini lights up on my door at school. That would be a beginning ;)

Have a great Friday :carrot:

Justwant2Bhealthy 11-20-2009 04:35 PM

AR4LIFE ~ we had planned to start early this year to take advantage of the nice weather; we and many, many others put our lights up the last weekend of October becuz we know how cold and icy it can get here normally. This year, we are being blessed with nice mild weather after having 2 snowstorms in October; that all melted and it's all green (well, yellow & green) out there. :lol:

Ya, I hope you do put some lights up; I just love Christmas, can you tell? I like to have everything up by December 1st; and many others in our town do the same. We are celebrating the 100th anniversary of our town next year so they want people to go all out with lights and stuff to get ready for that. We have lots of extra lights, so I'll see if DH wants to donate some for the town too.

We spent the morning trying to decide where to put our Christmas tree; we decided to put it beside the piano this year, as it looks great there. That way I can keep my rocking chair by the front window to look out and see all the pretty lights, and my birdies, and any other activities out there ... ;)

I am still trying to decide what to have for dinner tonight; will be a romaine salad and something ... it is supposed to be cook's night off, so we'll see. :lol: Hope you all have a fantabulous Friday night ... Rosebud :hug:

2b125by46 11-20-2009 05:49 PM

I didn't realize I had been away so long

I was going through some internet history when I saw the website for this page and realized I hadn't been here in a while. I have read all the posts since I was here last to get caught up with all the goings on.

I have been ok with plan but not so much with exercise. I have been having some issues with my DH. So I am trying not to emotionally eat. If I had the money I think I would change my address but then again I have DS to think about too.

I applied for a new job within the company that is full time work so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I saw a big conversation about Xmas lights and decor. I am not a big fan of this time of year and would be quite happy going through the days without any fuss. I keep hoping that no one puts up any decor until 7 days before Dec. 25. Although on Wednesday past putting up the tree was mentioned and then forgotten, I hope.

The boys are having pizza tonight I will probably cook a steak.

Hope all of you are well on this fine Friday evening.