Calling all nurses

• Just wondering if any nurses would be interested in starting a thread to talk about the stressful and rewarding profession we are all in.The difficulities being a full time (or part time)nurse/caregiver and trying to figure out how to put ourselves first.I look forward to talking to you.........I know "we" are out there somewhere.
  • Sounds good to me!!

I work 12 hour night shifts and I've picked up 5 OT shifts up this month - and somehow I'm still able to do the 30 day shred every day and I'm on day 9 tomorrow. I know I'll finish the whole month! AND I haven't ordered food out in SO long... I only eat what I bring!

What about everyone else??
  • Always take my own food. I work 8 hour shifts but stay over when needed for 12 hours. Lately, I work extra 3-4 times a pay period, but I could do it more often. I'm so tired when I get home, I'm sure glad I have food prepared ahead of time or I'd be afraid what I'd eat. I work on a postpartum/normal newborn nursery. Extremely busy. We average 15 deliveries a day with a 40 bed unit, so patient turnover is extremely high and we run all day. I've been a nurse for 32 years, so I'm not as energetic as I used to be.
  • I'm not quite a nurse yet. I just finished my final semester and am taking my capstone course now and will be taking the NCLEX in August so very soon I shall be part of this thread! Any NCLEX advice?
  • NCLEX........hummmmm.I took the review course.I was first class 15 years ago to take computer boards.Our class had a large passing percent.I think they are pretty basic.That being said, always a good idea to be prepared.Try not to be nervous.I actually walked out thinking "was that it?".And I had worried way too much for way too long for nothing.You will do great.Oh by the way, I am an IV nurse.I place PICCs, aquapheresis lines and difficult peripherals.I love my job but always short staffed.Just had a bunch of layoffs.Never thought I would see that in nursing!!!!!
  • lol WOW that sounds like so much fun! Maybe some day that's what I"ll do. It seems as though no one wants to hire me because I'm a new grad. They want experienced and I don't have much of that to offer I know it will just take time and I think once I get that RN behind my name it might make a difference. We'll see!
    I've been doing my practicum in an emergency department which is where I think I want to work, eventually but it's so crazy!! I've seen more in 2 months there then I have my entire nursing school!
  • Its been interesting watching the profession changes over the years.When I graduated 15 years ago, no body could find a job.Then there was a huge shortage.........now difficult to find employment again.It will change again.Many nurses have been offered early retirement due to cuts with the economy.Start wherever you can.I learned so much in a nursing home my first year, believe it or not.
  • Yeah...I'm thinking about that being one of my second jobs, PRN for my mother's work... they always need Bachelor RNs.

I'm considering taking anywhere but geriatric psych.... LOL I just want to learn and get paid, I love people so anywhere would be great!
  • Quote: lol WOW that sounds like so much fun! Maybe some day that's what I"ll do. It seems as though no one wants to hire me because I'm a new grad. They want experienced and I don't have much of that to offer I know it will just take time and I think once I get that RN behind my name it might make a difference. We'll see!
    I've been doing my practicum in an emergency department which is where I think I want to work, eventually but it's so crazy!! I've seen more in 2 months there then I have my entire nursing school!
    My department won't hire any graduates until they pass their licensing exam. You have to have a couple years of critical care nursing here before you can get a job in the ER. Good luck on your boards. I heard the review courses are helpful. When I took boards (in the dark ages) it was paper and pencil testing (2 long days worth). Computer testing sounds so much better!
  • Today was my well needed day off.Thank goodness as I had to get all of my ceus together to renew my license.
    Weather beautiful today after horrible storms in middle of night.
    .........no excuse for not exercising today though!!
    Thats a good thing about nursing, you get a lot of exercise in .I always feel lazy when I have a day off.
    Have a great weekend!Anyone working sat and sun?
  • Nope, after 32 years I finally have weekends off. I always get plenty of walking time when I'm working as our unit has a huge physical space which has me running in circles all day. I do feel like I'm lazy on my days off, so I try to spend some time on the treadmill those days. After working 12 hour shifts, I feel I have no energy for the gym.
  • So much for weekend off.Darn.On call nurse is sick.Will be filling in for her this weekend.Also work next weekend.SO...Off to bed since sleeping with my pager tonight.Have a great weekend all!