Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #1  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Default Binge Eating = Food Hangover

I need some support...or just some advice - whatever it may be. Today, I am in full recovery mode - I woke up with the worst food hangover I've had in awhile. I have been binging a lot these past two weeks but yesterday - it was probably the worst one I've ever had. Usually I consider binging a chocolate bar and big bag of chips. Really, I consider binging (for me) any type of food I eat in excess. Anyway - I'm celebrating small successes today - not binging, getting exercise and did what I wanted to do today. But I can't seem to keep up with this for more than a week or so. Triggers, like stress at work, being tired, going out and having a few bevvies, even tasting something that I am trying to avoid - I fall off and ruin all the previous efforts.

I am frustrated with never being able to stay on the wagon (for lack of a better phrase) - I'd like to say that this past weekend was it for me - but I've been somewhere like this before (not to that extreme). But I did it a few years ago and know it somewhere in there...and unfortunately it's recognition and praise - that's what drives me. If I can just go for more than a week.....

I know this week will be tough weaning myself off all the preservatives and stuff...I don't want to do this again. I imagine it's somewhat similar (not as bad) to weaning off alcohol and smoking - it's changing an addiction, a habit. I just need to find the strength to make it past seven days!!!
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 PM   #2  
~jus' being me~

I could have written that post! I particularly love what it says in your siggy .. . . its not about getting to "goal" for me as in a weight . . . the goal is really to have some peace and for the noise in my head to stop --> ie. I want to focus on my life again and not the size of my behind . . .

I am not sure that I have any answers but I woke up yesterday the same way - feeling worse than I had in a long time . . .the food hangover. I couldnt get enough water in and still today feel bloated and like a chubby little sausage from head to toe.

I am not sure what changed for me yesterday but I know that spending some time reading success stories on 3FC, looking at my own successes in the past and what I want for myself now and then contrasting that with my recent behaviour just made me stop. I woke up yesterday as awful as I felt and I had a 'normal' breakfast, packed my lunch, ate for hunger the whole day . . . it was just one day but today its the same thing . . . I woke up breakfast etc etc I am not going to think too far ahead at this point.

I have lost stacks of weight quickly before but I am here so clearly the hardcore git it off method doesnt work long term for me!

At the moment all I am doing is taking processed foods out of my life and focussing on real, whole foods - lots of fresh veg, fruit, lean proten, nuts . . . (I go low on grains due to my insulin resistance). My overall focus is to pay attention to how I feel every day and to eat accordingly. Nothing harcore.

But . . . when I need a little more hardcore boost and when all i want is pizza and focussing on "Oh fresh food makes me feel good" isnt enough . . . I also did something that probably sounds kooky but it worked last night . . . (nights are my worst time). I stuck an A3 picture of myself from last year when I was a sveltey minx on the bathroom mirror (it pretty much covers the whole thing) . . . I have on it my current weight and my "goal" (ick that word again! lol) and I am going to mark on it my losses. The visual of the numbers seemed to have clicked something in me for me and focussing on what my end 'goal' is. (My scales live in the bathroom too so its a good reminder).

At the end of the day all we can do is be kind to ourselves, do better every day)
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 249.4/ticker/135

Height: 5' 8"

I have that problem too! I've had times in my life that I've been able to do it. But never for very long. I hope this time in my life I can do it. I find that if I put it in my mind to stop a bad habit for 14 days. I can usually get to it. Then my next goal is 30 days. Then it's all about letting time pass and finding other new things to occupy my time and life. Food truly can be like an addiction. The thing is I know I can do it because I have done it. I just have to get that good start in and then it tends to go by easier.

The good thing about life is that each new day is a chance for a fresh start! So I'm making a go for it! My plan is to cut down my intake of Fat, Salt & Sugar. I'm gonna keep a food journal and try to keep those at or below the Daily Recommended amount for my calorie goal range. I'm really gonna focus on this next two weeks.

I just have to take it one day at a time. I also think going into hermit mode for the 1st week helps me get through it, too! No eating out with friends, no going to bar for a few high-calorie sugary drinks and fatty munchies food afterward. Plus then I can focus on getting my exercise in and not making excuses for it!

Here I go!

Last edited by Platinum; 06-30-2009 at 02:41 AM. Reason: :)
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:05 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Angry Me too! Does it affect the rest of your life too?

In the past, i generally have petered out after about 2 - 3 weeks. I didn't even realize that I had been doing that until my husband pointed it out to me a few years ago. (My diets began way back when I was a child.)

I can plan with the best of them, but I stink in executing my plan in nearly all areas of my life. In graduate school, I plan out way ahead how I am going to research and put together projects at a really good pace to not throw everything together at the last minute. I have wasted hundreds of dollars on groceries after stocking up for the newest diet plan, only to then lack the energy or disciple or whatever it is to cook and eat what I've planned. Today at work, I've probably been reading 3FC forums for a couple of hours (in need of inspiration), while my calendar sits here under my right arm with a long list of incomplete and pre-planned tasks that I should have gotten done.

I have ADD, but even so I feel like I should be able to get my head wrapped around something and get it done in a day!!!

My best idea at this point is to try to plan the next hour and see if I can execute that. Maybe tonight I can create my own rotating menu of a few breakfasts, lunches, and dinners that I can pre-make or prep for that won't break the bank and will be nutritious.

My goal for the next hour is to: finish entering data and analysis at work, drink my diet Mt. Dew and water if I am thirsty, eat nothing.

Update: I didn't do what I said. But, I did get some work done. I finished my drink but also had a few crackers. Tonight I am going to ask my husband to cook so that I can work on making some basic menus for breakfast/lunch that I can rotate.

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 06-30-2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Update
FutureFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 PM   #5  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I really enjoyed reading what all of you had to say. It's helpful to know you are not alone. I've been off and isolated for four days now - it's given me a lot of time to think about and work through things. I realize that the loss of efforts I put into my health after a few weeks are similar to a lot of other things in my life. I tend to overwhelm myself with this big long list of goals and things I want to change all at the same time - when there are alot of things I want to change to make me a healthier and happier person maybe trying to do them all at once is not really a good thing.

Yesterday and today I worked on my binge eating...I ate well - not specifically to my plan but nothing outside of it. When I was having some really strong cravings I went to 7-11 and got 5 different types of gum. Waiting in line wasn't fun looking at everything I wanted to have lol. I paid my bills and finished my laundry. I read a book. I didn't work out. Now I wish I would have but I did a lot today and I am trying to remind myself that is a good thing, when doing a lot of these things are almost impossible for me somedays. Rather than giving myself sh*t for not doing everything I wanted to do, I gave myself a pat on the back for the things I did. I am trying to not make unrealistic lists anymore either. Something more reasonable, so I don't get overwhelmed.

Platinum - hermit mode is working for me - I am not around influences that I don't need to be. I have a party tomorrow night but I also need to get out more so that was one of my goals this week. If I have a bite of something that I shouldn't have at this point, I know what will happen. I hope in a few weeks or so I can incorporate a little of life's desires - because really, what is life if you can't enjoy a good meal and dessert from time to time. But for now, I am going cold turkey - it's hard though...
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:29 AM   #6  
~jus' being me~

You did great! Every stmall step in the right direction is helpful
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote