good man blessing & curse

• Well first I guess I need to intro myself. I'm a newbie and am making the jump to do something about this little weight problem. Let's just say that the little problem is better than 100 pounds of me to lose. I'm 47 and it's not as easy as it used to be to get started or to do. And the great guy in my life says he would love me if I gained 100 more. So you can see the spot I'm in. Well we just went on a great beach vacation and needless to say I was in horror at the photos. He's in pretty good shape for a guy he's age. And well I would like to get out the sissors and just remove the part of the photo with me in it. He also dose all the cooking and is a wonderful cook. And you would know that we live in the part of the south where the food just doesn't get any better. So the challang begins.
    First I would like to say that I'm doing this for me. I'm really wanting to improve my health, and would like to look nice as well. And that great guy says he is in my corner. But we both have alot to learn about food and diets and whats going to work best for me. I guess that's where you guys come in.
    I'd love to hear from everyone on good ways to get started. How to figure out what will work best for me. And how to get started on some low impact excersize so as not to kill myself in the first week. I know it's alot to ask but I've heard some really great things about this site. So hello and I hope this is the begining of a great ride.
    Lots2love
  • Welcome my Darlin, Baton Rouge........it don't get no better is a fact but we can do this. Join us on this path. Climb on the bus and fasten your seat belt well. Some of us are driving like fools!
    I am 48 started a new path well over a year ago and had way over 100 lbs to lose in fact I consulted my "diary" and found out that when I started this whole thing I weighed 358 lbs I am as of this past Thursday under 300 lbs 299 1/2 to be exact. Being in the 200's was a major goal for me. I was stuck for months on end even though I was so totally Op it was discusting. Finally I broke through and am well on my way. Some have reach goal or are close to it . We all have had our stumbling blocks along the way. So ....don't get discouraged when they come up. We know all about it. We have all had so much experience. What we don't succeed at alone we do together. Yesterday I put on an outfit I have not been able to wear in nearly 10 years so believe me it can be done. Together we can move mountains....even our own.LOL
    Pam
  • Welcome! I too have been on this journey awhile. And it took trying to get better for me that has made it a success this time.
    Good luck to you.
  • Thanks for the words of incoragement. It's been along holiday weekend with company the whole time. I'm bushed. But I'll be working on a menu for the week tonight. I'm thinking of trying the low carb diet. Seems to be the kind of foods I could live with. Wish me luck. I'm going to need it. And how dose everyone feel about vitamns. Ritchie wants me to take them. But I've always found they made me hungry. I'm scratching my head on this one.
    deb
  • Hi I too started with about 100 to lose. i have been slowly working on it for about 2years. I do the low carb diet and all of us Pam, Pat, and I all do the low carb woe (Way Of Eating) and we all can be of help. If that is the way you want to go come and join us in the low carb thread in this area. we are a small group with many ideas. and much momentum. it is in this forum called #29 Let's Get Off this Fat CAN!!! (Low Carb)

If you truly want to go low carb. get a book. Atkins, Protein Power, Carbo Addicts, Low Glycemic, take your pick and i am sure that there are several others too. but read a book. Have you done something like that before? If so then you have a good idea of what you are trying to do. If not I can get you some ideas of where to start, but you really need ot have a good idea of what you are trying to do. many people have the wrong idea and feel that low carb is too limiting, it is not. I have just down loaded a 120 page recipe book (hint for your DH) with tons of recipes in it. you do eat fruits (limited) and you do eat vegies many of them!!! and you do eat your meats, you do not eat a lb of bacon every day but you do eat more fat than most people do and well it is good as it does help make your food be more flavorful. My cholesterol is very normal, with a high good cholesterol, and low bad cholesterol so all is good!!!

OH dear i am writing a book!!!