3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Steel Magnolias #5 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/161819-steel-magnolias-5-a.html)

gma22 01-17-2009 08:57 AM

Steel Magnolias #5

Time to start a new thread! It is pretty chilly this morning. I have just taken something out to the trash and my hands are cold already and it is just a few foot from the door. I know the northern part of the country is really suffering from the cold.

Susan: I know you must be freezing. When you aren't used to really freezing temps, your body seems to not know what to do as it gets used to the warmer climate. That is one reason we will never live up north again. It is just too cold in the wintertime. My hands, knees and such are aching lately because of the cold we have here let alone the way below zero going on up north. I feel for you.

Jean: I think a high is moving through and trying to warm everything back up again. I imagine it is very cold in your school since it is older.

Maggie: Cooking roast puts the best smell in the house and always makes you hungry. I am sure you enjoyed it
very much when it was time to eat.

Well, Jack is back from his errand so it is time for breakfast.

Have a good weekend.
Faye

Maggie 01-17-2009 03:34 PM

Super Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It has warmed up considerably and all that snow has melted. It was a skiff to begin with so it didn't take much to whisk it away. However, the wind doth blow. I am a happy camper for I have really started to use my noodle and eating more veggies. Well I always ate veggies because I happen to like them but instead of frys I had fresh veggies with my half of a sandwich from Bar-B-Cutie. Also I opened one of those oranges and ate half and will finish it for dinner.

DONNA Thank you so much for starting #5. With the country in the deep freeze this winter ~ so much for the myth about global warming. Put your mittens on when you take out the trash ~ or if you did put two pairs on. Don't want you to have frost bitten fingers.:o

BTW ~ Did any of you shivver when you looked at that email I sent with all those pictres of frozen icycles all over everything. Burrr. I don't want to spend a winter there for sure. I really don't think it ever gets that cold in this country.

Everyone have a marvelous Saturday. Where did this week go to for we are already in the weekend. Type at y'all later :wave:

Jean 01-17-2009 04:08 PM

I took the liberty of moving LaVonda's post over from SM #1 to here . . . .

Well girls, I just wanted to say that since the first of January I have lost 11 lbs. I am thrilled that I have finally licked that Scarlett O'Hara Syndrome (or SOS for short!) You know the one, where you blow your diet one day and just throw up your arms and say, "I don't want to think about that now! I'll think about that tomorrow! After all, tomorrow is another day!" Well, I do think about it and it keeps me on track!

I have been using Leslie Sansone's Walk off the Pounds-3 mile power walk for super fat blasting and have lost a pant size. I am so thrilled! It is working for me and I want to thank you all for being so supportive. I haven't eaten any candy, cake, cookies, pies, etc. since then and although it was really tough at first, I have lost the craving for that stuff now, and I feel wonderful!

My husband on the other hand has quite a bit of weight to lose and has no desire to do so. He has diabetes and just last week, another heart scare. Unknown to me, he had stopped taking his medication and that's when it hit. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers as he needs to have that desire to take his health a little bit more seriously.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

Love,

LaVon

Jean 01-17-2009 04:22 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a cloudy gloomy day, but it is 31 degrees outside! The wind is blowing so it "feels" like 17 according to the weatherbug. I made a grocery run this morning, and noticed several price increases. :( I now have laundry going. I feel lazy today and just can't get excited about any major projects. I have some cards I need to send out so will get that done, and I need to reinforce the hood buttons on my jacket.

"Gma" -- We are supposed to have milder temperatures for the next week, but with the wind blowing it still seems cold. A roast sounds good :T so I did pick one up this morning. I think I will try it in the crock pot tomorrow. I don't use my crock pot very often and know that it would be a big help on school days.

Maggie -- I wonder if the ice pictures were from lots of rain or melting snow? I'm glad I don't live there! :yes:

LaVonda -- I hope that you don't mind my moving your post over to this thread. I was afraid it would move to the bottom and others wouldn't see it. Congratulations on losing 11#s! :cheer: :cp: You are doing great! Perhaps when you husband sees you are doing so well he will get inspired to get on the program with you. Not taking his meds is not very smart on his part. I guess I am from the "old" school where when the doctor says, "take this" I do as I'm told. ;)

I need to get going and iron a shirt for church tomorrow. Bob sings and we are supposed to be greeters. They practice before the service and I will be picking up MIL so I probably won't get to greet too many. Oh well . . . the other couple who served coffee with us is out of town so there won't be any greeters at second service.

Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- :wave: from Iowa!

gma22 01-18-2009 03:12 AM

It is very early, but I wasn't feeling well so I decided to just come downstairs for awhile at least. Nothing serious, just uncomfortable right now.

FYI: If you find anyone getting confused and posting on a thread we have already moved off of, you can contact a moderator and ask they move a certain post. I did that for a person a couple threads ago. I try and close the threads when I start a new one, but sometimes I forget.

Jean: Hope you are warming up some. It has warmed up considerably here compared to what it was. It was pretty chilly yesterday simply because the wind was blowing a lot. Makes the heated seats in the new car a good thing, though it wasn't my tush that was cold! I sit on it enough to keep it warm! :lol: I read recently that avocados will become really expensive and possibly hard to find because the crop was so small this last year. I noticed the gas is starting to creep back up.

LaVon: Someone needs to convince your husband that the difficulty of losing weight and the irritation of taking his meds is much better than a diabetic coma or a heart attack. Tell him you have a friend whose husband had to have bypass surgery after having had a heart attack out of the blue. My dh didn't have high blood pressure, was a bit overweight but not hugely so it can happen to anyone. My dh says the pain of the surgery can be awful for awhile let alone how it makes you so weak for quite awhile. Getting healthy is a much easier route. Congrats on your weight loss, that is terrific!

Maggie: We were out running errands yesterday and I noticed one of the big fountains in the fancy part of town had frozen completely. It was one of those three tier deals and it was completely encased in ice and we only had a couple really cold days.

I guess I am going to try and go back to sleep for awhile. Jack has his stress test tomorrow so he can only have water after 10 am and nothing to eat or drink after midnight so we have that to look forward to tomorrow morning. I am going to take a book and my sleeve and knit.

Faye

Jean 01-18-2009 01:49 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly, NO wind for a change, and it is 36 degrees outside! The snow is melting on the deck and driveway! :D The sun seems so much warmer now. I picked up MIL to go to early church, said "Good Morning" to the early risers since we were greeters today, came home and made a pot of chili while Bob was at second service, put in another load of laundry, and just brought some folded towels upstairs.

"Gma" -- I love the heated car seats AND the remote start! I forgot that I had it on this car more than I remembered last year. With it being so terribly cold I've used it a lot this winter. :yes: I'm not an avacado fan so didn't realize they would be in short supply. Our gas just went up to $1.75. I sure hope that Obama makes good on his campaign promises. I'm not holding my breath though. I hope you are feeling better!

I need to change clothes and get moving. Have a relaxing rest of the day and a marvelous Monday tomorrow! The weekends fly by too fast!

Jean -- :wave: in :flow1: Iowa!

QuilterInVA 01-18-2009 02:11 PM

Good afternoon, ladies! It warmed up overnight (38 degrees now) but it is starting to snow. Don't think it will amount to anything.

I had just about finished my post yesterday when the dryer when off and when I came back, the computer had installed updates and restarted (just like I told it to do at 6 pm). Just didn't feel like typing all that again so gave up.

I had WI yesterday - maintained, no loss, no gain. I was sort of expecting it because I lose for a week or two and then do nothing for 2 weeks, then lose again. I'm going to go back to Simply Filling when my week starts over on Thursday. We're having a "Biggest Loser" contest at Curves so I signed up with a goal to lose 10 pounds in the next 3 months. I think that is doeable.

I got lucky yesterday. I hit the grocery store just as they put a sign on the blackberries - 99 cents while supply lasts. I got 3 and strawberries were $2. So I have plenty of berries for this week. The blackberries are really sweet.

My friend and I had "luper" at the Happy Belly yesterday. Good salmon fillet with Broccoli and a salad. Church this morning. There was a pancake breakfast but I just gave the kids a donation and continued on my way.

Maggie, the creek that runs behind my house is frozen over. The poor Canadian geese and ducks that call it home
are not happy. I put warm water out for them and some corn. My cat loves to watch them.

Jean, have you decided to retire? Hopefully things will be back to normal (or better) at school this week.

Faye, my "hospital" bag is still in the closet. I really need to unpack it. I have a book, a quilt block, a Suduko book and probably a snack bar in there. I always kept it packed because we had to go to hospital so much.

Think I'll put a movie in and do a little quilting. Have a good day!

Jean 01-18-2009 09:43 PM

Susan -- A maintain is better than a gain . . . especially when you know that is your pattern. :cp: "Happy Belly" makes me :D every time you mention going there. Your luper sounds delicious. I'm surprised that the geese and ducks don't keep the water open by swimming in it. We have small patches of open water in various places because they take turns swimming in the opening to keep it open. People around the lake feed them even though they've been told not too. The geese get mean after they hatch their offspring; they try to take over the parks and will chase people. Perhaps your ducks and geese have never been too farth north. :lol: Have a good day at work tomorrow!

:wave:

gma22 01-19-2009 04:56 AM

Good morning to you all! Jack has his stress test today so we will be gone most of the morning and such. I just hope they get him in right away so he doesn't have to sit too long without eating anything.

Susan: We had a pond behind our apartment in Indiana and there used to be tons of canadian geese. They are not only mean, they poo this nasty tar stuff all over the place. It was awful. You couldn't walk back there at all. I cleaned bathrooms yesterday and vegged the rest of the day, reading and knitting and such. Well, I did laundry, but I do a load everyday so I don't even think of my daily chores actually. It is much warmer here. It got up to around 60 yesterday I think. Thank goodness, because we had a power outage for awhile.

Jean: One thing I noticed is that they are putting the remote locks on the keys now instead of having little key fobs with the stuff on them. The keys are really thick so it is hard to get them on the key ring. I talked to my son yesterday and he asked me how I liked the car. I told him I liked it fine, but just like the owner it wouldn't listen to me either! lol My "sync" doesn't like me. It refuses to respond to my voice commands! Personally, it is a "she" and I think she is jealous of me! :D We were listening to an audio book driving around town that Jack had on his Ipod. Jack had shut off the car to go into Kroger's for something and I just stayed in the car. I restarted it because I was cold and pushed the "media" button on the steering wheel. My "sync" asked me what I wanted it to do and I said "usb." Now I know it could hear me because I have a loud voice. I had to repeat it three times before she finally decided she would do what I wanted. She patently refuses to allow me to make a phone call though!

Everyone have a good start to the week. Gail, know we are thinking about your and your family everyday and praying things turn out ok.

Faye

QuilterInVA 01-19-2009 12:02 PM

Good morning, ladies! Temperature is falling and we are looking to get 2-4 inches of snow by morning. Just what I wanted. I-95 to Washington is always backed up from Fredericksburg to DC so if it snows, it'll be a real mess with all the traffic trying to get to the festivities tomorrow. I might have mentioned this before, but the hotels in Williamsburg are almost full because of the overflow from Washington - and we are 100 miles away! The extra will be good because this time of year tourism is way down.

Jean, the creek is not very deep and freezes all the way down. The ducks and geese disappear in the summer so they must go North.

Faye, hope things went good for Jack's test. Remember the old tv show My Mother, the Car? Maybe you have something similar with yours! She's probably mad because she has to stay out in the cold and you get to go in with Jack.

Slow day at work since it's a federal holiday so I can play some more catch up. No Bible study tonight since there is no school. Can't quite figure that out, but so be it.

Have a good day!

Jean 01-19-2009 05:58 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We have "something" falling from the sky; you can't see it but you can feel it. :( I have card club tonight and have to travel to a little town about 5 miles away. I hope the weather either quits or the hostess calls it off. Today was typical "ho hum" Monday -- this semester is actually kind of boring compared to last semester! :rolleyes: The algebra/geometry teacher is crying for help and said she would email the special ed. director to see if I could come into the classes. They both have special ed. students with no special ed. teacher to co-teach. That could liven up my life a whole lot! :dizzy:

"Gma" -- I couldn't make a phone call on my car phone and come to find out I had run out of free minutes. :o I haven't seen any of the car keys with the buttons on them yet. I am really unhappy with my car in snow and Bob mentioned it to the salesgal. She said the dealership owner is driving the same kind of car and said the exact same thing. It has to do with the engine and tires . . . too much engine for the type of tire they put on the car. Dummies!

Susan -- Snow might put a damper on the ceremonies tomorrow. We have two groups from Iowa (black drum and bugle corps) performing in the parade. We have permission to have our classroom TVs on if we want to watch. I doubt that anyone except the history and government teachers will, but who knows. :shrug:

Well, I'm off to figure out what to wear tomorrow so I don't have to do it when I get home. Have a nice evening and a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

LaVon 01-19-2009 08:13 PM

I'm Back!

Thanks for moving my reply to this thread. I just can't get used to writing on these threads and changing...but I will sooner or later!

My husband got his meds refilled and made an appointment with his doctor. He found out today he has a wee bit of a thyroid issue so the doctor gave him some meds for that too.

I did some yardwork today since the weather was just beautiful today! It was 79 degrees here in Arizona! I was out in my shorts and t-shirt mowing, raking and edging. Just getting ready for spring! I love spring! I can't wait until swimming weather when I will be thinner and at the pool on the weekends!

I will talk to you girls later and give you a progress report on Thursday. Have a wonderful week!

LaVon

gma22 01-20-2009 08:18 AM

Good morning to you all! Durn it is chilly out again. I am fed up with cold weather and we really haven't even had much. I am dreading going to Indiana if it continues to be so cold and snowy up there.

I talked to our son a couple days ago and got to talk to Jackson. I could hear him in the background babbling away and I ask Jay who he was talking to and he said he was scolding the cat who was standing on the stairs. He got on the phone and I told him to say hi to Nonny and he said "Hiiiieeee!":lol:

Jack's test went fine but we were at the doctor's for about 4 hours. I did get a lot of my sweater sleeve done so I am hoping by the weekend I might be able to sew it up. We will just have to wait for the results. They usually call and send a letter.

LaVon: Oh, I am so glad he went to the dr and was able to get checked up and get back on his meds. I know you are going to do great this week. Just something to think about with our threads. None of us ladies like doing pages and pages so keep an eye out as to how many we have posted because we usually start a new one around 18-20 posts. The post number is show on upper right hand corner of each post. Maybe that will help you to know where the current one is.

Jean: They put michelins on the suv that look pretty sturdy so hopefully we won't have any problems. We went and got it washed yesterday after Jack's stress test and they double charged me for a wash. I emailed them when I got home and complained and they credited back my credit card and sent me 2 free top car washes.

Susan: I think the car is jealous of me. After all, Jack picked out the car and drove it home so I imagine she thought she was going to have him all to herself! ;) Yes, I remember that show. Wasn't Jerry Van Dyke the owner? I was pretty young, but I remember it a bit I think.

Well, housework just plain won't do itself. I need to get going and get some work done since nothing was done yesterday.

Have a wonderful day and try and stay warm. I, like LaVon am looking forward to the warm weather and swimming again. I didn't get to swim last year at all because of my surgery right at the beginning of swimming season.

Faye

Jean 01-20-2009 05:31 PM

Good Afternoon, Flowers! The sun is shining brightly, NO wind, and it's 23 degrees outside. It was another "ho hum" day at school except for making some copies and catching a student in a lie. :nono: He told another teacher the media center was closed so he couldn't check out a book. I happened to be in there making transparencies and he was never in there.

LaVonda -- I'm glad you found us again! It's good that your hubby went to the doctor. I wish it was shorts weather up here, but it's warmer than last week by a long shot! :)

"Gma" -- Zowie likes to call and talk on the phone. Half of her conversation is in Chinese, but I can pick up bits and pieces. She likes to lay the phone down when she is done and walk away regardless if anyone else is around to hang it up. :lol: My car is dirty from the slop they spray on the highway and it spatters from the other cars going by. It's supposed to be even warmer the next few days so will wait to wash it until it gets cold again.

I'm off to check on the roast in the crock pot -- it smells good. Tonight is my night to call my "mom" in a few minutes. Have a nice evening and a wonderful Wednesday tomorrow!

QuilterInVA 01-20-2009 10:08 PM

Good evening, ladies! Drat - it's cold again, but no snow so that's a plus.

What an exciting day - and not just the new president's swearing in. When I went to work this morning I noticed 7 sheriff's cars parked along our street a couple of blocks up, but not a deputy in sight. We have a deputy that lives here so I figured they were holing up at his house to watch the festivities. When I came home at 4, there were more than a dozen police cars, the sheriff-fire support trailer, an ambulance, 2 fire trucks and the side street was completely blocked with the yellow police tape. So I wove my way down the street and got home. Of course, when I put the news on there was nothing but the inaguaration so I got on the internet. This had been going on since 8 pm last night! A 62-year old man threatened to commit suicide and his relatives called police. When they got to the house, he told them he had guns and explosives. That got the swat team out. His doctors, family, and police negotiated with him to put the explosives and gun out and come out so they could help him. At 11 am he came out gun in hand and started walking toward the police. They shot bean bags at him and he kept on coming so one of the swat team shot and killed him. What they were doing until 8 pm tonight I don't know, but that is when they left (I was coming home as the trailer pulled out). The thing is, I live in a small county in the sticks so that was most of our sheriff's department here. Guess it would have been a good day to do a little speeding or worse.

My friend and I took food to the family of our friend who died. The funeral is Friday and we'll go to that.

Jean, they closed the schools today because of the possibility of snow, even though there was not even a snowflake. Just the mention of snow strikes fear in the school administrators hearts!

Faye, LaVonda, Maggie, and Gloria - Hi!

Off to bed, it's been a long day.