Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #196  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

April 1st! WOW. The gardens have new growth everyday. And the birds are just a twittering...and building nests!

Hope all are well.....
Old 04-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #197  

Hello all!...

Ah, rain hitting the window.... making me sleepy..... Dear Doggie is on my lap, standing, hoping I will scratch her belly if she keeps giving me the look....I can't believe she's doing this....its a first. Either she feels ignored or believes I need her attention....

So.... yesterday, aprx 7% of my division's work force was given their pink slips... Since my dept is really the ones who do all the clean up work after the parade, we will become very busy in response to this "reduction in force"....So, for this round, I am yet employed.

***************here's the most intersting thing about my response to this ugly day....... I didn't binge.......I was able to control that recurring urge to run, run, run to almost anything sweet, salty, fatty......
And all the usual excuses came to mind too....
"This is stressful"
"This is sad"
"This is scary"

hmmmmm ...... did you notice a theme with the 's' words with the 'excuses to binge' and two of the foods to binge??
Hmmmmmmm.......

Interesting.

Anyway, Q Anagram.....something wild. I can relate. But not in an animal print kind of way....hmmmmm.... something physical? Like self defense training? or something completlely out character? Like going without underwear??
I know someone who would think leaving dishes in the sinnk was way, way off the meter.....! Sorry if that applies to anyone here!

I am just wild enough not to make my bed either!

Hmmmm....

Ceara! How goes it?

And the rest of you my Royals? How are you all?

Hope everyone is got all the "protection" their computers need against this latest virus. So distrubing to think of all the energy that goes into these computer viruses and for what real reason??

Anyway....

Good music is coming to the rescue. I have given up a couple of favorite morning radio shows because the topics were not uplifting.... Its really eyeopening what a world of difference you can make for yourself by simply changing the channel.

Cannot believe I am completing Day 4 without sugar, no vending machine.
Had my inspiration meal tonight for dinner while DH was at class.... its really telling when you are in a Natural Foods Store and see a package of Tofu Scrambler and your mouth starts watering. If that's not a sign your body is craving something other what its been getting......

And how wonderful to already know my way around a few recipes this time. I couldn't believe how wonderful lofat cottage cheese and fruit tasted. Holy mackeral..... Does this processed food coat our tastebuds too??? Hmmmmmmm.....
anyway.....

to the showers!!!

Here's Thursday's Good Morning Thought for you-- After all, you all deserve the Royal Treatment which means you get the early release!!

Thought of the day:

"Don't get discouraged; it is often the last key in the bunch that opens the lock."

—Unknown

Question of the day:

"What are the odds of you moving?"

Last edited by Kaylets; 04-01-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #198  
the sword bearer

Moving likely not.

We've been without internet for the past 2 days at work...huge hardware crash at HQ...apparently that "big" computer virus fizzled out. Not there. Hmm.

I managed to escape the perils of chocolate baby bunnies and gummie worms last night, but I did have a caesar salad and hummus with carrots at nine pm, since I was 500 calories short for the day! I don't like to eat that late. But yesterday was a busy day and I rode by the siren songs of the donut stores successfully. They are all over!

OK...gotta walk!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:36 AM   #199  

Congrats on avoiding the donut stores, ceara. I've been getting really hungry for one of the fancy dancy ones.

How stressful, Kaylets - to be sitting there wondering if you'll be next. What a mess - and I don't just mean your firm. But it all does begin to look better in springtime and with flowers and veggie gardens to look forward to.

Moving - actually I hope to. I desperately need to downsize and am decluttering constantly toward that end. But two homes across the street for sale for a while now so I'm not anxious in that way. Would likely be not too far away.

The Down Whoosh Fairy did visit - thankfully. Down almost four pounds in two days. 206.6 yesterday. I don't usually salt anything so when I had some egg and olive that I made w/lots of olives (DIL loves both) the salt impact did me in for a bit. I don't usually panic when I go up a few pounds after eating out or something. But somehow that's how I let extra pounds slide on too - keep thinking they'll go away.

Well, about as "wild" as I got was to go shopping a few days in a row. Spent almost nothing - just some Easter gifties for the princesses. Bought one shirt I'll be taking back. A brand I could usually pick up and be sure the size worked - didn't this time. Looks nice now but one wash will likely make it a tad too snug. Wore old one, same size, same brand last week and it was roomy. Guess they're saving money on material. Still looking for throw rug for my bathroom. Have looked at dozens and dozens. Picky, picky -

To be lovely today after a rainy yesterday - so I'm going to go get ready for it....and turning off TV and putting on music...working on my mental list of what WORKS.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #200  
the sword bearer

Just popping by...thanks Anagram...the strategy there is not to stop! Good work on the swoosh and good luck with the move! Real estate is the pits right now.

Kay...hope things are going well in your workplace...my stress seems piddley in comparison.

to all!

Last edited by ceara; 04-03-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:35 AM   #201  

Rainy again this a.m. and to stay that way. But yesterday was GLORIOUS. Took the walking poles to a park and had a ball. Tai chi today.

Was 206.4 yesterday when I hit the scale. Don't expect it to last. My weight is like the weather - a good day, a bad day.

Lots of little odds and ends done yesterday. AND I signed up for an Elderhostel course (after YEARS of considering it). Actually one I had mentioned three years ago (and didn't do). Thought I'd do it the next year but this is the first it's come up since. Moral - don't wait. Still feel I'm stepping out of my "box" but that's really what I feel I need to do.

Heard yesterday one house across the street is sold - that of the neighbor who died last August. So new neighbors in May, according to her son.

Hey, must have been some weekend, Arabella! Missing you.

Big sign of spring - street sweeper is in the neighborhood! Between that and the rain, the old macadam should be looking good

Have a Fabulous Friday lies. Be it rainy on your roof or no.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 PM   #202  

Hello All!

Ceara! Not to worry, I have realized I do have some control in this situation, and its my reaction....I do not want to spend the rest of the time there worried and looking over my shoulder. At least, that's how I felt yesterday and today. I imagine I'll wonder where my resolve went some time soon but I can only do what I can do.....

So I managed to only buy lunch once this week but it was hot turkey with fresh green beans ..... and a roll. It was a perfect surprise for the taste buds.
I had a lunch in the fridge but for some reason, I just wanted that hot turkey.

and yes, drummroll please, I havent been to the vending machine once this week.... which really if I be truly honest, was probably taking at least $2 a day from me, and sometimes more. And to think it started so innocently with pretzels....you know the rest of the story.....

All of this please my Tightwad Self as much as my Slimmer Self.... I wonder if I should keep a running total of how much I save by consistently carrying my meals and snacks. Hmmmmmm..... a double motivation.....

Anagram! What a great idea! Tell us more! Does this course mean you'll be going somewhere ??? What will you be learning?? Sounds fascintating.... I can't wait to hear more......
And I could use a declutter buddy.... I have started at one wall in my dining room and working around the house moving down the wall, pushing things ahead of me, making room, tossing, finding a permanent home, etc, etc,..... It's the only way for me, I have to see progress right away to keep motivated.

Very, very windy here tonight. I think tomorrow will be more of the same.

Dh and I are watching the John Adams series from HBO. We just finished Episode 2, The Vote for Independence. Seems very timely.

Ok. Since I've gotten "Back on Board", all the tricks I used to use to punch up things with flavor are coming back to me.
I've seen this other places but don't think this is something we've done in a long time.
Shall we share our "Must have Pantry/Freezer Items" ????

I am thinking I will get ideas and inspiration from your lists.

What do you think?

I love those bunnies!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #203  
Empress/Queen

Happy April, dear Royals! T'is wanderin' Janga/Amarantha droppin' in to say a quick huzzah!

I am sorry to have reconnected with the palace just to have disappeared but I have issues with the site not renewing the ad free subscriptions, but I am still around doing the same old thing and running my hippity hoppity diet bunny personal challenge to secular Easter, although I certainly won't reach my 120 goal by then.

Regarding moving, it's not in my plan for life. I will probably stay here that long unless the house falls down (always a possibility).

Kaylets, my industry is in the same sort of overall boat about waiting to see if one has a job. It is hard, good for you for not having a binge on that day.

Apologies for the lack of personal replies. I am going to take a nap.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #204  

Howdy, Janga/A - glad to have you back on any conditions!

Re the decluttering, Kaylets, I'm my own worst enemy in that I always want to find the right "home" for everything. Took several items to an electronic recycling drive yesterday. Neighborhood garage sale coming up end of month but I have a couple of conflicts so not sure. Maybe another "free" table outside where I don't have to be present. Worked well last year. Also a "shredding day" being offered later this month. Thinking of all that would save me if I'd get enough ready to take there instead of 'doing it myself'. Worn out one shredder already.

Re the courses, yes, I'll travel two hours north in PA, stay in a dorm at the school where I spent a Freshman year. An hour and a half lecture each day for five days on each of three subjects: Religion and Politics in America, Controversies in Psychology and The Genes of Aging. A vacation w/a little mental stimulation. Biggest hangup for me - being in class at 8:30 a.m. But that's the "shakeup" part - or one of them. Feeling good about it now that I've taken the first leap. And looking forward to meeting some new people. Just hope I don't get too much homework

Daffs, hyacinths, forsythia going strong - to be nicer today than windy yesterday. Maybe another pole walk in the park. Or a friendlier one around the 'hood. then Vespers later with an all male a cappello group.

So - off for the first cuppa.

Last edited by anagram; 04-05-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:05 AM   #205  
the sword bearer

Had a nice win at the show yesterday...but I am whipped today. Off shortly for a walk around the block, church and then? But it sure is a nice sunny day, so I'll find something!

Have a great day all!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #206  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile Happy April, indeed!

It was actually warm and sunny yesterday afternoon. Today it's cool and rainy but we've already gotten in our long Sunday walk and I've lit the fireplace to cozy up with papers and coffee for a while.

I've got a lovely bunch of daffodils in a blue glass vase on dining room (AKA the "diamond room" according to DGS, I guess because of a few crystals in the window) table, which I can see from here. Another in a silvery one on the kitchen table.

Sorry for not checking in but it's been FRANTIC!!! Taking off one afternoon and being away on the weekend put me behind on so many things that I'm still scrambling. And this is a busy weekend, too. Had DGS here yesterday and last night, my sister came by in the afternoon (both these, mind you, while I was working) party last night, tai chi in the a.m., major choir practice in the afternoon yesterday and the final season performance of the symphony this aft. Which I'm reviewing, so it's not quite the relaxing experience that just going can be. I'm glad to have no plans for this evening.

Our final choir performance is Friday. Dvorak's Stabat Mater -- incredible music and pretty challenging. I think I'm getting a handle on it. One other wrinkle in the mix was that our choir director was talking about the need to sing "lustily" -- meaning don't hold back. So one of the altos decided it would be fun for the altos to dress a little provocatively, beneath shirts that we'd whip off as soon as we finished warm-up. Someone else wrote quite a funny poem and passed it to the director. It ended up "We are the lusty, busty altos." All whipped off their overshirts, displaying satin camisoles, cleavage, feather boas, etc. It was pretty amusing -- or at least all the altos found it so

Oh yeah -- diet. I've held my own. I'm going to have to push harder to get to my goal. Missed WI last week and held steady this week. Back to tracking and getting in some extra exercise. I intend to start to train for the run tomorrow.

Ceara, hooray for days! Last weekend was lovely here but then we got a fresh foot of snow between Monday and Tuesday. That "Winter Wonderland" look that I'm so deathly sick of But warmer temps and some rain have gotten rid of all the fresh stuff and are making roads into the filthy old stuff.

Janga, nice to see you in the Palace any time, anyway.

Kaylets, I'm loving the sounds of renewal of spirit I'm hearing! I'm trying to use my own tightwad proclivities to help ensure that I WILL NOT waste my WW money. I signed on for six months and I CAN get the weight off in that time.

Anagram, elderhostel sounds like a lot of fun. Are they arranged around particular subjects?

The weekend was fun but not responsible for me being "gone" all week for the usual reason We went out for a nice dinner Saturday evening but it was not difficult to stay OP and still enjoy myself.

Yup, turning off TV and putting on some music, I'm with you. Sometimes I turn off the set and heave a sigh of relief, as if someone else had subjected me to it Just how out of touch with me am I?

WSW, hope you're feeling and sleeping better. I haven't been sleeping as well as usual lately either. Maybe something to do with spring? I was so beat after choir practice yesterday that I came home and scrubbed my face (I had on so much red lipstick that my lips are still coloured!) and got into my PJs -- at about 5 p.m.

I loved hearing about your impromptu lunch. I don't think age is ever an impediment to friendship. It's all about the individual.

Kat -- hey, look -- it's been another week! How's things? I hate going to the dentist. Was thinking, as a matter of fact, when I had my colonoscopy that I'd rather go through that whole thing, complete with the fasting, than have my teeth cleaned. Which is likely coming up again soon, so ... uh, time to step up my flossing routine and get new batteries for my electric toothbrush.

Hey, I could have sworn I saw Andria flitting through the Palace. Yoooo-hoooo?

K, I should sign off and start lounging before I have to primp for the symphony... Happy Sunday, lies!

Last edited by Arabella; 04-05-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM   #207  

Glad you mentioned being in jammies at 5:00 pm. I just got in from Vespers and was telling self it's too early to get into them though I'm dying to. So now, here I go. I'm all set for a loungy evening too.

And then yet another Fresh Start Monday.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #208  
the sword bearer

Pajamas at 5 pm are a good thing! I'm still in my night attire at 8 am! And sleeping...that moon? I'm doing better since I've been concentrating on getting the water in (and out!) before 7 pm. Fewer nightly trips! Also no alcohol for me seems to be the ticket...I sleep quicker and all night! I really hate being awake from 2-5 am every evening. Not happening with the lack of alcohol....

Did the 5 k block yesterday, church and then BGF and I hung out....went to resale shop...(nothing inspired me...she got a couple things), then Costco, dropped her stuff at her house, came here and put away groceries and then made dinner for the guys and us....very healthy salad with romaine, spinach oranges, cranberries, pinenuts, mushrooms, and sesame orange dressing, angus beef burgers/pita bun, steamed broccoli, potato salad for the guys, fresh whole wheat sour dough biscuits. After that I had the munchies...new food in the house, but I forestood the temptation and went to bed to read. Nothing on the boob-tube.

Too funny Arabella...those altos! I am a mezzo, so I can fit into both worlds.

It snowed here last night....more than a trace. Just enough to make things sloppy! I will walk I think, but I'm toying with footgear....

Have a great day all!

Old 04-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #209  

OOOhh - blue and blah here this a.m. I'm still in night clothes too, ceara, in fact up only about 45 minutes and waiting out the hour from first med to brekkie. A horoscope over the weekend said I should "take a few easy days" and I'm going to try that sage advice - at least while it's gray and drizzly.

So between now and tai chi this afternoon -it's slow and easy - no new projects or ANYTHING. No thinking even. Just do dull, slow, easy stuff - a day off, so to speak. My body likes it so far.

Youch, I agree those 2-5 a.m. wakeups are not good for body or soul. Glad you've found a key. I've had many of them but seem to be in a better sleep place for now and hopefully forward.

And I enjoyed the "lusty" altos story as well. If I could carry a tune, I'd probably be an alto - certainly not a soprano.

Anyway, easy day or no, it's still a Fresh Start Monday - so off I go, tho slowly.

Last edited by anagram; 04-06-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #210  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Another PJ morning

out there. But must shower and head out to the store soon. DS' birthday today so I'm making a cake (nope, not going to have any) and having him and his GF, DGS and my mom in for dinner. And then we're having our best friend couple in for dinner after the performance on Friday so I'll get everything now and save shopping twice. Or thrice.

I actually started my training for the race yesterday. I'm trying interval training -- going pretty much as fast as I can for as long as I can and then walking briskly until my breathing returns to normal and then running again. Supposedly the best way to increase speed/capacity/calorie burn. Huzzah!

Ceara, your dinner sounds great! I'm thinking I should start doing the 5k race route at some point before long. Fun to see how much my time improves. At least i think it will be

Anagram, the choir director sent out a note yesterday to remind us of venue change for practice and joked "Would everyone please wear something low-cut?" So, of course, the altos all determined to wear button-up shirts with ties. I wore black buttoned shirt with a black tie, wore my hair back and put on glasses to look more severe.

Reminds me -- one of the tenors last night stopped me on the way to the choir loft and introduced himself. "Hi -- I'm Rob," he said. "I don't know you but I spend a lot of time looking at you." Which I already knew because he'd commented to the guy next to him, who happens to be my friend. DH was a little shocked, I must say. Prolly good for him, huh.

Hope your blue blahs are all gone! I think if you treat them right they go away. I try to acknowledge them, think about how I'm feeling and then start doing stuff. When I have the presence of mind to do that, I usually feel like a new person within a few hours.

I'd better shower, make my list and get out there. Still have to bake cake and intention is to get to sound yoga at lunch. Hope all lies have a lovely day!

Closed Thread