Old 12-11-2008, 01:45 PM   #106  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Post Trying for wonderful, wonderful

We're up to our armpits in layoffs at the company I work for. We just had a message that there would be a cut of about 20%. It may be a week or so before I know if I've still got my job. My manager has been IMing to me all day, a string of "So-and-so is gone," one after the other.

This is pretty stressful. As much as I'd love to go freelance, this isn't the way I want to do it. I would be under a great deal of pressure to find something immediately and it quite likely wouldn't be an improvement.

The company's always let people go this time of year because it's the end of the financial year for them, too. As I said to my manager, "This has got to be the worst Christmas tradition EVER!"

"You're fired."

Trying to stay sanguine. As usually happens when there's anything majorish going on, I'm not tempted to overeat. It's that mid-level stress that gets me. However, earlier in the week when that was indeed the case -- oh, now that I think of it, it was just yesterday -- I had a run-in with a container of baklava that was (in)conveniently sitting in the freezer.

At the same time, DS is preparing for an interview for a job that would be a huge improvement for him.

WSW, so glad that stupid MRI is over with! Glad you're back to "normal" -- I can hardly even aspire to it. And three released -- huzzah! That's a nice reward. Good for you actually doing the meditation! The times I tend to let those things slip are the very times that I need them the most. Oh, for a nice late night with friends, too.

Ceara, I'm v. impressed by your avoidance of chocolate-covered whatever they were (let's think "bugs"). I need to get into that mode myself. Just hit that switch in my brain... Hawaii in February? Can I come? I've got my passport!

Kat, what nice motivation that will be, being on the Wellness committee! I wonder if I can find one to join... "The outside is done, and a few things strewn about the living room, but only because I've been trying to do it RIGHT this year" -- "only"? That's the best reason in the world! I'm hosting our family party on Saturday and I've got a nekkid tree standing here, but for a few ornaments on the low branches because I let DGS start hanging things.

Anagram a new toilet -- oh, how thrilling! Ok, yes I was being sarcastic but I have to say when something gets fixed on one of mine it is very satisfying not to have to jiggle the handle or whatever. Enjoy! (Maybe you could festoon it with toilet paper streamers for the holidays...)

Hmmm... so far, I've still got a job so I guess coffee break's over. Let's take this day and do our level best with it.

Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #107  
wsw

arabella-work situation must be so very stressful now. sending lots of good vibes your way.

ceara-hope all goes well for trip this weekend. february in hawaii, huh?! how wonderful---please take me with you.

anagram-when you mentioned your recent, "unscheduled" purchase of toilet, reminded me i needed to get moving on getting new dishwasher, which has now been ordered! it may not be in for at least 10 days, or more, but just knowing i will have one again in near future is a positive. with everything else that has been on the fritz here, i am having to prioritize. if i look at my long list of big ticket items which need repairing or replacing, it makes me want to scream, so i have to take it one baby step at a time. have also been following your grand example by continuing to do some "sorting/pitching/donating." went through another closet and some more shelves and was able to take another big stash of clothes and stuff for donation yesterday.

hi kaylets, andria, kat!

finished up christmas shopping, and mailed out final gifts now. needing to take it easy today, since experiencing lots of "ms technical difficulties." have to admit, would like a vacation from that sometimes. ah well. repair person who was supposed to come out yesterday was no show, and i let it get to me more than usual. (after all, there is nothing unpredictable about repair work snafus, but i let it make me cranky, which i don't usually do.) realized i really need to remember that "relax" sign, and take some deep breaths. made myself a little post-it with relax on it to place on my desk near computer. at worst, it makes me smile, and at best, of course, i really do remember to relax and take some deep breaths.

have continued with dainty portions and exercise, so would say am starting my 3rd week of putting my higher- gear- food/exercise plan in to effect. well, physically not in such high gear today, so need to get offline, and rest tired eyes a bit. hope everyone is having a good weekend. take care, all.

wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #108  
Empress/Queen

Just saying a happy holiday and merry yule time to the royals from Amarantha, whom Janga used to be many moons ago when she frequented this forum, but she rejoined as Janga as the forum has always been difficult for her computer to access and she just decided to reregister! Huzzah! Hope it is a happy season for all and that all concerns ye have re anything be resolved by 2009!
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 AM   #109  
wsw

hi janga! good to see you. and a happy holiday to you, as well, and wish the same for you for 2009!

Last edited by wsw; 12-14-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:40 PM   #110  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up The Sunday Palace

Party #1 went very well last night. For some reason, most people brought stuff containing wheat so I didn't eat much. I did have some multigrain nacho chips and dip. And went over on salt so I'm up today. 207.6. But should be better tomorrow -- was v. well behaved today.

And we did have a nice time, visited with people and sang lots of carols. And it feels good to have most of the Christmas cleaning and decorating done (not that I do a lot of either ) But I scrubbed the kitchen floor on hands and knees Thursday and then slapped some wax on it so it looks pretty good. And everything else is just gradually falling into place, even things that haven't been dealt with in years. So I think there's got to be something good going on.

Tuesday is DH's 60th and there'll be 12 of us for dinner. I'm making steak and kidney pie and carrot cake, plus, of course, veggies, salad, apps. We always have the same people in for his birthday and it's always a lovely evening. Sort-of a nice start to the season, before people get too crazed.

I'm not stressing over the job stuff. I think odds are that I'll still have a job when the dust settles. And if not maybe it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

WSW, won't we all have a lovely time in Hawaii? I can hardly wait! And won't Ceara be surprised to see us all popping up out of her suitcase. (Note to self: Must lose LOTS of weight before February so Ceara won't be suspicious when they say her luggage is overweight.)

Hello Janga (weren't you a jungle lass at one time?)! Lovely to see you in the Palace. Hope you'll drop in again! Funny, I was just thinking of you and Eydie today and thinking maybe I'd head over to yon realm with festive wishies.

Hope all Queenlies are having a lovely weekend and will be ready in the a.m. for... Fresh Start Monday -- Huzzah!

Last edited by Arabella; 12-14-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #111  
Empress/Queen

Thanks for the hallos, wsw and Arabella!

Always love to see ye in any realm, Arabella.

Yea, was a Jungle Lass, now just a lass lol, just poking around 3FC since with this new user account I don't seem to be having the problems I previously had making it work, not sure why.

There are a lot of fun forums here.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #112  

Maybe tomorrow's Fresh Start is what I need. Have been having a desperate time trying to get back on track.

Good attitude re the job, Arabella, but hoping both you and kaylets are recognized as being invaluable. Who says the s don't believe in togetherness?

Hi, Janga. Now that's a good way to become "younger". Junior member, indeed! But good to see you.

wsw, I'm so pleased you're able to hang onto your resolution despire the "money pit" woes and your technical diffs. I'm going to start wearing blinders so I don't see all the things that are on the verge of "going" or needing redoing here. I've been doing and doing and it's like the weight battle - never ending.

I AM "enjoying" the new toilet. It's one of these newfangled lo-flush ones and makes quite a "whoosh" which reminds me of the whoosh fairy. But I can think of m a n y other ways I'd have preferred to spend the money. Had plumber back again this week to install a water pressure regulator. long story but it's more preventative than anything else so far.

Stepped a tad out of comfort zone today and went to a "Festival of Lessons and Carols" at a cathedral. Not TOO far out of c.z. but went alone (as usual) and would have preferred a companion.

So - don't hate me - but I'm all "ready" except to wrap one gift which should be arriving soon and then hitting the cooking, baking. Baked some the other day. Now, part of the reason I'm ready is that I don't do much shopping any more but I DID put up a bigger tree, etc. so it balances a little.

Happy birthday to Arabella's DH - same day that I will celebrate the 46th anniversary of my first giving birth.

FA LA LA LA LA LA
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:50 PM   #113  
wsw

arabella-glad your christmas party went well, and that you had a nice time. and yes, ceara will be surprised when we all pop up in hawaii. lol!

i wouldn't mind heading to hawaii tonight, in fact. warming up sounds like such a lovely prospect.

i was in a bit of a neatness mode today, and tidied up one of my cabinets. i didn't clean anything else though, but have been admiring my work on that cabinet. heard from someone today hadn't heard from in a while, and it was nice to catch up. i too was well-behaved today with exercise and being op. i have a lot to accomplish this coming week, and hoping not too many "technical difficulties" will interfere with plans. will just have to remain flexible, and remember to "relax" no matter what comes--and of course, keep up with higher-gear food plan. well, royals, have a good evening, one and all.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:57 PM   #114  
wsw

hi anagram-guess we were simulposting. great minds think alike, obviously! glad you are "enjoying" new toilet. kudos on stepping out of comfort zone today too.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #115  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Did you fly into Canada Anagram....flying needs a passport...and it truly is the American side that wants them. After the deadline, it will be the Americans who leave the US without one who may have trouble getting back in! Of course those 9/11 terrorists all had their passports....

Had a great week-end. Lots of good companionship, nice wins and a new American Champion! Yeah! I like that kind of week-end...the companionship part....very congenial. My room-mate is a co-breeder also....we jointly own the new champ!

So, Arabella...good vibes for the work front. It is hard everywhere these days. I feel for the kids. Are you finished with the singing gigs? Anagram, does your new toilet have the seat that floats down? My mom got one of those... and used the facilities here one night. We don't have that kind...there was the worst WHAM as the seat blasted down in there....of course we all laughed! New dishwasher...good for you wsw! Where is Andria these days! I want to hear about the gym...and Kat and Kaylets...this is such a busy time of the year. Janga.

Alrighty, I must be off and do stuff.....

ceara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #116  

Congrats on your new Champ, ceara. Always adds a glow to the weekend, no? Glad you enjoyed! Yes, I flew in to Canada - all the inspections of my artificial knees were hilarious too.

Nope, no fancy seat on my new model. Chair height but otherwise very bland and basic.

Having trouble today getting myself out of my own way. Doing all sorts of dumb things. Overdue library books for one thing - which never happens to me, ceara, truly. But I've come to rely on the email notices and somehow it never came - NINE days ago! Really can't blame anyone but myself as I'd had a thought or two that it should soon be time but just didn't look to check as I expected the notice. Drat - and the worst of it is that i\I never read either book or listened to either book on tape. When I took them out, I knew it would be a busy time and I might not get to do so but I figured I could renew. So I trekked in and while there saw a notice re harp and hand bell performance there tonight. Now I have a clip from the paper on my table and could have just taken the books in tonight and enjoyed the performance. Now, don't know if I will go back for it as there is another "thing" to do tonight - but combining the two would have made it an easier choice.

Anyway, food good so far and did go to tai chi - so I get at least that one little check mark
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #117  
wsw

ceara-congrats on the win of your little royal champ! the companionship this weekend sounds like it was very nice too.

anagram-know what you mean about making things a bit harder than need to be at times/getting in one's own way. been there, done that, keep doing that more than i would like. hope you have a pleasant evening, whatever you decided to do. congrats on going to tai chi today and on food.

it was much warmer here today, and boy, was a happy camper. warmth not hanging around, but was glad i was able to get out today to enjoy it. got some of my appointments out of way today, and some paperwork, which i don't like doing. busy week (for me) will continue, but accomplished my top priority "chores" necessary for today. stayed op too, but have to say after dinner, was really thinking i should have gotten to eat more, when i had in fact eaten enough. not a good sign for me, but the good news is right now i'm too tired to try and graze. need to retire soon for the evening, so think i can stay out of trouble for that long, anyway. well greetings to all our lovely royals. have a good evening, everyone. take care.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #118  
a work in progress...

Fly by post before I drift off to sleepy land... tooth pulled today, wellll, what was left of it, anyway! Ugh. Was loaded with lidocaine, but awake to witness the struggle... lots of jiggling and crunching sounds! New teeth are already in place, (a 3 tooth partial... gawd, that makes me feel old... they even sent me home with Fixodent! ) I took a Vicodin a little while ago, whee! No, really, it's just making me sleepy and very bad at typing!

is up and decorated, but I streamlined the process by only putting up the ornaments that are near and dear and have special memories/meaning attached. I still have half a bag left, figuring if the spirit moves me I can add them, but it looks lovely and sweet as is!

I hope to catch up with replies soon, maybe tomorrow after I get my cards done! We took one of the pix from Ireland and used that for this year's card. What a lovely trip down memory lane it was, trying to find the right one~

Janga! Love the name!

Okay, I'm done for now... More tomorrow... and an update on scale progress as soon as I get the new batteries in scale! No WW this week due to holiday party tomorrow. MUST REMAIN VIGILANT!

Last edited by katrinabgood; 12-15-2008 at 10:22 PM.
katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:18 AM   #119  
Empress/Queen

Another fly by to say hi!

Ceara, yea, congrats on the new champ!

Kat, feel for ye re the teeth, going through a bit o' that myself.

Huzzah to Anagram 'n Wsw 'n to all mentioned or un-

So nice to be back on 3FC, but must be brief as fallin' asleep ...
Old 12-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #120  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Thanks for all the congrats! It will be nice to be home for a bit though...now to start on her brother.

It was rainy yesterday...I didn't walk...am currently waiting for the sun to rise a bit before venturing out...I don't want to get run over by a bus! I did get quite a few things done though....bought dog food and did some paperwork at the branch. Then I stripped the sheets and bedskirt and laundered those. Did some vaccuuming and general straightening. Appreciated the tree whilst I ate lunch. Baked some shortbread cookies for my Book Club last night, and sour dough biscuits/sticky buns for DH and then put chicken in to bake and left for work just after 4. I slept pretty well last night!

Tough on the tooth Kat! I have some rather old fillings that I'm quite careful with....no real hard food for me!

Anagram! Overdue books! My...that happens a lot at this time of the year...we don't do email notices...just Jennifer the calling ****, and by that point the books are 1.5 weeks past due! Can you renew your own stuff online? That may help with having to make a trip. The concert sounded intriguing....I love handbells...and they are fun to play!

Janga...good to see you back in the palace.

wsw...glad you got a bit of milder weather. I think the cold stuff is on its' way!

to Andria, Kaylets, Arabella, and any other popping in!

ceara is offline   Reply With Quote