Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #241  
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkychic View Post
Okay..how about if I added 1 tablespoon peanut butter and an apple each day and take away the saltines and rice cake? I really can't wrap my mind around eating when I am not hungry but i am trying to understand and learn so bear with me. I feel better when I exercise so I don't really want to skip a day on that. My boyfriend has a standard weight bench set but he doesn't use it and I haven't a clue what to do with it so I use ankle weights on my wrists and ankles when I exercise :|.
The apple and peanut butter is a good substitute. It's better carbs for you and good fats. Try and make sure the peanut butter if you can is organic or at least natural so it's without all the hydrogenated oils. As for eating while you're not hungry, I know it's hard but if you start substituting in higher calorie whole foods that have good fats such as raw almonds and maybe a whole can of tuna instead of just a half and then maybe another lean protein source at dinner it will def bring your calories up. You should also try and maybe get some dairy in there. See if you can try and get in some lowfat or fat-free milk or cheese. I can tell you if you get the recommended servings of dairy in a day it'll bring your calories up at least 240-300 cals a day by just drinking 3 8oz glasses of milk (depending on if you're drinkin low-fat or fat-free). What else are you drinking in a day? Are there any fruit juices or soda? Because those calories count as well and sugary drinks aren't the best for you either. These are just a few options. I would def calculate them in exactly and see where they stand for you and the rest of your food in a day. I'm just going off what you said you eat in a typical day, and while I don't know for sure the exact calories for that food it doesn't seem like enough. It might be good to invest in a calorie counter book like the Calorie King. It's 6 bucks at Barnes and Noble or you can go on the Calorie King website as well.
Just search for it on yahoo or google. (Only because I don't know if I can post links in here yet )

As for the exercise, I can totally relate to it feeling good! Just make sure you don't overdo yourself. If you ever get stumped on what to do exercise wise you can go buy some exercise dvds or look up exercises on the internet. Maybe you could even invest in a session or two with a personal trainer so you can learn the proper technique to do certain exercises. As for right now I can give you a few options for the work out bench: you can do push-ups against the bench, lay on the bench and do chest flys, chest press with free weights, you can do tricep kickbacks, rows for your back, you can also do ab work using the bench. These are just a few things you can do. It's hard to kind of explain these exercises just by typing but if you can get someone to show you it would be best. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor or a bodybugg to see the calories you're burning and your heart rate when you're exercising.

Mind you all these things I recommend investing in are not essential, however they do make things a lot easier. I hope some of this helps!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:41 PM   #242  
To fly like Nadia again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfirefighter1 View Post
i joined a gym thursday, worked out thurs, fri and did 1 mile of leslie samsone this am. i hope i can keep it up and lose down and get to watching what i eat. ladyfirefighter
Great job!!!! That's super exciting!!! Keep up the great work!!!
Old 01-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #243  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Thank you very much, gymlee. I usually drink water throughout the day with a 16 ounce (I think it is 16 ounces anyway, lol) glass of iced decaf tea. I can start drinking a glass of milk and maybe a glass of orange juice if you think that would help. I just worry that when I step on the scale, I will be disappointed. I am a habitual weigher..I weigh frequently over the course of a day. Yes, I know I shouldn't but I can't seem to help myself. And even though I know that weight fluctuates throughout the day, I still freak when my weight is 2 or 3 pounds more than when I woke :|.

Last edited by Onederchic; 01-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #244  
To fly like Nadia again

No problem chunkychic! I do what I can. I think the milk would be more beneficial than the juice because you can substitute juice for actual fruit. And if you are going to do juice make sure it's no sugar added juice and it's all natural (not from concentrate) because concentrate adds more sugars. If you have trouble with the whole calorie thing I would try to aim for servings of foods from each food group. For example, I would do like 3 servings dairy, 3servings protein, 4-6 servings whole grains/ complex carbs, 2 servings good fats, at least 3 servings veggies, and 2 servings fruits. That way you should make those 1200 calories in a day. That's a prototype of what my nutritionist had me do a couple years ago. Now I'm just logging my food and trying to count calories. But I do try to make sure I get servings from each food group everyday. And also do a little research into the foods you're eating and make sure what you're eating in your portions is actually a serving.

And I don't want to sound mean but you gotta knock off the weighing throughout the day. It will only make you neurotic. If it's a hard thing to stop, I would say maybe cut it down to once daily and then work on maybe a couple days a week and then hopefully you could get it to only once a week. When you only do it once or twice a week, it'll give you a better picture of your weight loss over time.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #245  
Resident Pixie

Milk I can handle so I will add a couple glasses milk as well. And you don't come off as mean, you come off as helpful and I appreciate it. And my budget is tighter than tight so I have to buy the cheapest foods that I feel are healthy and will last more than a day. I typically buy oats, lettuce, tuna, eggs, dried navy beans, green beans, dried pinto beans, spinach, brown rice, sugar free gelatin and now I will add apples, peanut butter and low fat milk. If I make my meals as follows, will that be on the correct path?

1 cup oats
hard boiled egg
1 glass milk

apple 1 tablespoon pb
1 glass milk

lettuce
can of tuna

brown rice
some sorta veggie (beans or spinach usually)
decaf iced tea

I use FitDay to track my daily intake and exercise. My intake is usually around 900-1000. I do have days where I eat more, just not very often because I normally do not feel like I am hungry and need anything else.

Last edited by Onederchic; 01-11-2009 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Apparently I can't spell or type or both... :P
Old 01-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #246  
To fly like Nadia again

You'll def be getting there I think. I understand about money being tight (I am at a job where I make a little over min wage) but understand that this is your health and if you're going to spend money on something it might as well be on your diet. I agree with many experts out there that your food can be your medicine and if you eat a well balanced diet it can help to keep you from getting sick whether it's the common cold or developing something like diabetes. So if you can squeeze it out, spend the money on good foods. If possible throw in some regular or ground chicken or turkey breast . Those are leanest of meats if you get the breast. And if you package it out and do by servings you can make a pretty good amount of food for just a pound or so of meat. Because remember a serving of meat/protein is usually 3-4oz so with that being said you can make 4-5 servings of meat from a pound package of chicken or turkey. And sometimes it's a little more expensive if say you get like a turkey breast (probably around 9 bucks depending on where you shop) but you can get days and days worth of food out of it. You can even bake it all at once, cut it up, and then freeze some of it and dethaw in the fridge as you use it. It's both cost effective and efficient so you don't have to cook so much all of the time. I would also watch how much tuna you eat due the mercury content. Also try and add in a multivitamin so on the days you have trouble meeting calories you can get all the nutrients you need especially when you are so restrictive with what you eat. I would def recommend branching out if possible.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #247  
Resident Pixie

Thanks again. I will check into other possibilities. I do take One a day Weight Smart vitamin every day.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:00 PM   #248  
To fly like Nadia again

You're welcome! Let me know if I can help you with anything else!
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #249  
Chicklette

S/C/G: 250/220/160

Height: 5'1

I am 5'1 and 215 pounds. Yes everyone can tell when we gain 10 pounds but look on the bright side everyone can tell when we lose 10 pound it makes a difference! I started eating 6 times a day instead of my normal once a day I lost weight right away and It keeps coming off. I still don't eat super healthy but I stopped eating fried foods and fast food. I do plates and after 2 weeks I lost a size. I buy my clothes at old navy there websites have plus sizes and some of there stores, they have short sizes!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #250  

S/C/G: 138/114/105

Height: 5'0

Thanks Chicklette, welcome!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #251  

S/C/G: 148

Height: 5'

Hi everyone! Well last week I didn't hit the 5 days of w/o's that I wanted, but I did do 4 days, so that's pretty good for me. Plus I ended up hiking up a hill in the snow a bunch on Sat. with my bf's daughter and my nieces, we took them sledding. Then on Sunday we took them skiing, we didn't ski, but hiking back and forth with the little one's and picking them up was a good w/o for me, lol. My legs were worn out by the end of the day! I've lost a couple lbs. over the past week and even though I would like to see it just fall off, I know this is a good pace. Slow and steady. I did my slim n 6 dvd again today, so I'm starting out the week good. Hope all of you are feeling great and have a good week!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #252  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'm 5'0" and the only way I can lose weight is by working out *hard*. A lot of working out hard. I was doing an hour a day five days a week, and recently to break through a plateau I have upped that to an hour three days a week, and an hour and a half three days a week. I get up way earlier than I ever wanted to fit in all that exercise. But it's either that or let my stubborn body stay fat, and that's not an alternative for me.

Another thing that has helped is keeping carbs to a bare minimum. Also no fun, but you get used to it eventually, and it helps me feel a lot better and keeps my energy levels up.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #253  

S/C/G: 138/114/105

Height: 5'0

Carbs are my weakness and my lifeline, since i tend to eat very vegetarian and also love certain carbs that are low cal... i need to be on a low carb diet, any tips for how to make this change in lifestyle? wish i had the willpower to workout.... I've been failing at 30 min ....
Old 01-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #254  
Caroline

I work out with my sister, which is a great motivator. I know it's hard to find a workout partner sometimes, though.

I was vegetarian for eight years and I couldn't lose any weight at all until I started eating meat again. It was a really hard choice to make, but my body just won't process carbs right and it was either eat meat or stay fat. So I'm spending more on humanely raised, organic meat and now I'm losing. I don't have any advice for vegetarians, obviously, since I failed at the lifestyle, but the vegetarian forum people probably do.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #255  

S/C/G: 138.6/135.4/110

Just to update those keeping up with the challenge of working out - Last tuesday till today, I've worked out or done something physical 5 days!). I follow WW, and turns out that I earned 14 activity points in one week!! Woohoo!!

Sadly however, I've been eating a lot - not in terms of what i'm eating, but how much I'm eating So i dont know if the scale will show any improvement when i go for my weigh-in tonight!
I have my weigh-in tonight -
Closed Thread