3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   August Activity Action and Achievement for the worldly chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/147976-august-activity-action-achievement-worldly-chicks.html)

diyana 08-07-2008 10:39 AM

Happy Thursday ladies (or is it Friday in JK, Shad?) -

I walked at lunch yesterday - it was gorgeous out! And I went to the gym last night and did a 1/2 hour strength training class. Today, I'll walk at lunch and walk after work as well.

Shad - Sorry your training class went so horribly. I hope you enjoyed your swim/massage. Take care in the smog. Aerobic exercise requires oxygen...not smog. :lol:

Happy - I hope your meeting with the diabetes program nurse goes well. I'm sure it will be helpful for you! I think anyone trying to make healthier choices should meet with a nutritionist. It helped me a lot.

Mel - I hope your chair repair goes well. Don't overdo with your arm, though.

A big :wave: to Annie, Ceejay, Rennie, Holly, Ruth and everyone else!

Well, gotta go for now.

Love and hugs,

ceejay52 08-07-2008 01:02 PM

We are having rain today. It was so dark earlier you would have thought it to be night time.

Logged 3300 steps yesterday plus rode the stamina bike for 20. I was in the bed by 9.30 p.m.

I'm logging food again after my sugar binge and pizza binge. I can't handle those things very well any more. I'm pretty sure that poor planning was the culprit. I let myself get to hungry and one point during the day. I want to stay around 1600-1800 calories.

I'll be lugging up the supplies that the guys left downstairs while ago. They are to lazy to bring them up. I should wait and see if Brandon and Brian come back over then make them to it.

No time for personals right now.

MELODY525 08-07-2008 04:35 PM

http://i.timeinc.net/realsimple/imag...ickenrice1.jpg
Coconut Chicken and Rice

8 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Zest from 2 limes
3 cups uncooked basmati rice
2 cups chicken stock
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon salt
Juice from 2 limes
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut

Heat oven to 325° F.

Lightly coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the garlic, cayenne, and lime zest; set aside. Place the rice in the baking dish.

Combine the chicken stock, coconut milk, cilantro, salt, and lime juice and pour onto the rice. Arrange the chicken on top of the rice. Cover with foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through.

Remove the foil, sprinkle the coconut on top, and cook 5 minutes more or until the coconut is browned.

Make-Ahead: The recipe can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover with foil and refrigerate. Reheat, covered, in a 325° F oven for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the chicken comes out warm.

Yield: Makes 8 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 571(0% from fat); FAT 17g (sat 12g); CHOLESTEROL 78mg; CALCIUM 53mg; CARBOHYDRATE 66g; SODIUM 401mg; PROTEIN 37mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 5mg

Shad 08-07-2008 08:36 PM

Morning all.
Went for a swim and a spa again last night. Did about 20 laps of the pool and then shot into the spa. The air quality is terrible and today looks even worse. This morning was gym and I really only did 30 mins - 10 each on bike, elliptical and treadmill. The gym was late opening although it is supposed to be a 24 hour job - you have to get a key to get in there in the wee small hours apparently - so I was running out of time this morning, but I did get a good sweat up so maybe I didn't do too badly.

Michelle it is Friday in Jakarta. Actually it is Friday everywhere west of Fiji to somewhere around Namibia in Africa. That may not seem like west to you lot but it is here. Well done on the gym and walking. I haven't stopped sweating yet after my stint, so at least we are moving the muscles and blood bits around.

Mel - do take it easy on the arm with those chairs. We do not need you down and out for a period of time - what would lurker Karen do without her recipe fix?

Ceejay - those are long days. Get those guys to put the deliveries away for you. You don't have to do everything you know.

Happy - hope the day works out well for you and the nutritionist. If it works for you and Michelle, I may just try one myself. Something has to work one day.

And with that I'd better get on with work - no classes today but there is still a huge mound of doco to wade through. So now might be a good time to get on with it. I will have to work one day of the weekend. I'm trying to get out to the Orchid park sometime this weekend. Hopefully we can find a driver to take up there.

Have a great day and don't forget to sweat

happy2bme 08-07-2008 10:43 PM

Hi all,

It was a long, lousy day today and I am dead tired. Finish this up and I'm off to bed. I think I'm still trying to deal with changing my routine around, to bed 2 hours earlier and up when the clock is reading 4.

They came to put in the new pool liner today and from out of nowhere came these massive rain storms. So that put a quick halt to that. The pool pump went out and DH had to buy another. More money "down the drain".

Went to pick up my orthotics and the doctor checked off the wrong style. These are ultra cushy for diabetic patients. They sure are cushy but are so wide I could use them for snowshoes in a pinch and they don't leave much room for my feet once I cram them in the shoes. :lol: The lab is making new ones.

Not going to the gym tomorrow. I have to get a fasting blood test and there's no way I can do a workout on a completely empty stomach. I will try and make up the day on the weekend.

I went to see the nurse today. This is a research program funded by a grant which hopes to keep pre-diabetes people from making the turn to Type 2 via education and exercise. They asked alot of questions because part of keeping their grant is lots of statistics. The lady asked me if I had questions and I'm the type to ask them as we go along but it was obvious that they weren't interested in really answering alot - just move along lady. She asked what was a typical breakfast (oatmeal, chopped apples and walnuts), a typical lunch (grilled salmon and vegetables with an occasional cheeseburger thrown in for good measure :D ), and dinner - lean grilled protein with fresh veggies. She looked at me and said if this is true then why are you overweight? I said - you tell me. I'm sure she thought I was lying but gall bladder surgery and acid reflux keeps me from too much fat and with the glucophage I swear I am losing my taste for sugar or at least it is lessening leaving my biggest vices as a daily partial can of Coca Cola (sometimes none) and an occasional once a week at best ice cream.

I have an appt to meet with the nutritionist next week before the first nutrition class and I will start the exercise class (taught by a personal trainer and massage therapist) next week. I know what healthy foods are, what I'm hoping to learn is "eat this instead of that" kind of thing. Shad, I have heard many people sing the praises of a few sessions with a nutritionist/dietician. I'll let you know how it goes.

Did I say I was very tired?

Orchid Park sounds lovely Shad - hope you can get there this weekend. It sounds as if you are getting a decent workout in the gym there - when you can get in. Just keep at it.

Mel, I hope the arms are doing ok. Sending you some good thoughts :grouphug: I hope you didn't overdo it cleaning up the chair for the repair guy. :(

Hope the weather didn't cause you too much trouble Ceejay. Sounds like you got a good workout AND a good night's sleep yesterday. Good for you!

Glad you're getting some nice weather Michelle. It's much more pleasant to walk outside if you can. Sounds like you could almost form a walking club at work!

I hope DS' interview went well yesterday Annie. That would be great to get on the force :crossed:

ugh - I got home kind of late and just had a turkey sandwich. I should have done cranberry mustard instead of mayo but mayo sounded so good with the fresh tomatoes. Now the heartburn is raging. Going to go pop an antacid and head for bed. Good night...

1day@atime 08-08-2008 12:53 AM

Hello Ladies:wave:

Things have been so hetic these past few weeks. I've been traveling for work, then studying for a certification for work in my spare time. Blackie is doing so much better, I'm actually taking him to the vet tomorrow for his yearly check-up. I'm still doing my workout, but only 2 days a week. I have got to bump it up to 3 or even 4 and I definitely have to work on my eating.

Need to run... It's late...

MELODY525 08-08-2008 07:39 AM

SHAD...YESTERDAY EVERYTIME JIMMY CAUGHT ME USING MY ARM HE "YELLED" ...MADE EVERYONE AWARE OF MY PROBLEM....INCLUDING ME :rofl: BUT HIS HARPING KEPT ME AWARE. I DO HOPE YOU CAN GET TO THE ORCHID PARK. THAT MUST BE SOME SIGHT TO SEE! ENJOY! :hug:
SORRY TO HEAR YOU HAVE TO WORK PART OF THE WEEKEND! "The impossible and some miracles I can perform straight away. Bigger miracles, Finance, and HR take a lot longer."

HAPPY....I HAVE HEARD OF THESE PROGRAMS FROM THE SENIORS. HOPE THEY HELP WITH SOME GOOD KNOWLEDGE. I HAVE A LOT OF FAITH IN YOU MY SOUTHERN BELLE. :hug: HOPE THE CLASSES WITH NUTRITION GO WELL TOO. IF THEY HAVE THE SECRET TO WEIGHTLOSS THEN PASS IT ON :dance: GOOD LUCK!
YOU WILL SEE WITH DIABETICS SOME, LIKE SAL HERE, GAIN THE WEIGHT NOT ONLY WITH SUGARS BUT BREADS, RICE, PASTA....ANYTHING STARCH INCLUDING BEANS, CORN, PEAS. ANY SALTS RETAIN WATER AS YOU KNOW. ANOTHER PROBLEM FOR DIABETICS. HIS LIST IS LONG. BUT THIS PAST YEAR HE HAS CUT BACK ON STUFF AND ACTUALLY LOST SOME WEIGHT . BUT MEN LOSE WEIGHT SOOOO EASILY IT SEEMS. :faint: SENDING GOOD THOUGHTS YOUR WAY:love:

ANNIE...KEEPING FINGERS CROSSED YESTERDAY HAS CRAMPED MY STYLE :rofl: HOPE EVERTHING WENT OK FOR THE DS!

CEEJAY....ANY POWER OUTAGES WITH THE WEATHER. HAPPY'S STORM HIT HERE ABOUT 11 AND GAVE US SOME LIGHT SHOW! TIRED FROM ALL THAT LUGGING OF SUPPLIES? I OVERDO THE EATING WHEN I AM HUNGRY NOW TOO. JUST SEEMS LIKE I CAN'T STOP:tantrum:

:running: WITH ALL THIS WALKING MICHELLE, YOU SHOULD BE HERE IN NO TIME AT ALL!! THEN WE CAN GO DOWN BY HAPPY AND GET HER POOL READY! :beach:

:wave: PATTY

:cofdate: I AM SOOO HAPPY IT IS FRIDAY. RICHIE SHOWED UP UNEXPECTEDLY. GOT TIRED OF STAYING BY DAD DURING THE WORK WEEK. SO HE TOOK MY SHORTENED LIST AND GRABBED A FEW THINGS FOR ME. GOOD THING CAUSE I WAS DREADING THE SHOPPING.
I FORGOT THE CHAIR WAS GONE AND CHARGED THE WRONG ONE LAST NIGHT. JUST AS WELL......I CAN STAY HOME AND OUT OF THE OFFICE. THEY CAN FEND FOR THEMSELVES. THERE ARE TWO THERE TODAY. WE HAVE SO MANY "NUTTERS" HERE NOW. LOTS OF DEMENTIA GOING ON. AFTER AWHILE YOU WONDER ABOUT YOUR OWN SANITY :rofl: ONE WOMAN SAW MEN ON THE HALTED CONSTRUCTION SITE AND CAME TO TELL ME HE WAS A TERRORIST AND THE DRUMS HE HAD MIGHT CONTAIN BOMBS. :faint: :yikes:
YESTERDAY WAS SO GORGEOUS THAT I SPENT TIME OUTSIDE JUST TO GET AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WELL, I MUST GO AND SEE WHAT THE GRANDSON AND I WIKLL DO FOR THE NEXT FEW DAYS:beach:
HAPPY FRIDAY/SATURDAY. :moped:
HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYONE:sunny:

annie175 08-08-2008 08:22 AM

TGIF for sure...........

Things did go well for DS interview. He got the job, now he is just waiting on a start date. Geez are they SLOW....

DD is in a wedding tomorrow. I, too, am going. She will look so darn cute.

Got about 25 roma tomatos out of the garden last night. Will make salsa to freeze. It will be wondeful to pop put homemade salsa about mid-December. This morning's breakfast was cottage cheese with fresh tomatos and cucumbers cut up and a little bit of pepper. I am loving the fresh veggies and will miss them come winter.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend.

Love and Hugs

MELODY525 08-08-2008 09:09 AM

http://stormgasm.com/4-3-03/simon%20pics/27s.jpg

* Well I love a rainy night
Well I love a rainy night
I love to hear the thunder
Watch the lightning
When it lights up the sky
You know it makes me feel good
Well I love a rainy night
It's such a beautiful sight
I love to feel the rain
On my face
To taste the rain on my lips
In the moonlight shadow
# Showers wash
All my cares away
I wake up to a sunny day
'Cause I love a rainy night
Yes I love a rainy night
Well I love a rainy night (2x)
Repeat *
Puts a song
In this heart of mine
Puts a smile on my face every time
'Cause I love a rainy night
Yes I love a rainy night
Ooh I love a rainy night
Yeah I love a rainy night
Repeat #

annie175 08-08-2008 11:02 AM

Well I love my Miller Light
I love my Miller Light

NOT

MELODY525 08-08-2008 11:22 AM

http://www.yahoofreak.com/3D%20Smile...nd%20laugh.gif <---mel after one miller lite

diyana 08-08-2008 02:31 PM

TGIF Ladies -

I'm so glad it's Friday. DH and I did yard work yesterday evening so tonight and this weekend, we can just relax and have fun. We'll probably go to the State Fair again tomorrow. :)

Shad - I hope the air quality improves for you. Good for you for getting a workout in this morning. I hope you are able to enjoy your weekend...Orchid Park sounds lovely.

Happy - You are having so many pool issues! How awful! I hope it all gets fixed soon and with minimal additional expense. Sorry that your orthotics didn't work out either. You really do eat healthy, good for you! I'm glad you're meeting with the nutritionist. She should be able to help you with "eat this instead of that"...or "eat this in combination with that" (which helps me a lot). I eat a lot more protein now than I used to. I still enjoy carbs with nearly every meal...but I make sure the grains have lots of nutritional value and LOTS of fiber.

Patty - Glad to hear things are going well for you and that Blackie is doing a lot better. :hug:

Mel - Glad to hear someone besides us is harping on you to not overuse your arm. You are correct about having to watch out for pasta and grains...not just sweets. I really have to watch everything I eat and make sure I balance carbs, protein, fiber, veggies, EVERYTHING. :faint: You live in NJ, right? My aunt and cousin live in Dumont, and another cousin lives near Old Bridge. And my fave quarterback just went to the Meadowlands, so I guess I'll have to watch the Jets football games in addition to the Packers.

Annie - Congrats on DS getting the job! That's awesome! I wish I could come down there and swipe your fresh veggies until the ones in my garden ripen (if they ever ripen). I'd love to try cottage cheese with veggies...but the tomatoes and cukes in the store don't taste as good as homegrown. So I buy blueberries and strawberries and eat that with my cottage cheese.

Mel and Annie - I actually do love my Miller Lite....though I prefer other beers.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Lots of love and hugs to all,

ceejay52 08-08-2008 05:24 PM

Happy
How low is your tsh level? My metabolism is off due to my tsh level being low.
We got some rain also. We really needed it.

Mel
I'm glad Jimmy was around and caught you using your arm. Some one is looking out for you. :hug:

Annie
Congrats that your sone got the job.

Shad
I'm jealous of you getting to go to the orchid park. That's one of my favorite flowers.

I'm on the home stretch of working these 6 twelve hour days. One more 12 hour day and I'm off for two day. :woohoo: Not sure about next weeks schedule except I come in Tuesday. Pacing myself has really helped this time too.

Ruthxxx 08-08-2008 06:22 PM

Ceejay, you should get more than 2 days off after that brutal week!

Diyana, I am still very thrilled about your victory over diabetes. You are my hero!

Shad, I passed on the info about Cushings to my vet and she agrees that it's a possibility. (This in response to a PM from dear Shad who has met my Hershey.)

Oneday, nice to "see " you again. I must read back and catch up with you.

MEL, for somebody who was going to take it easy on the arm, you sure do manage to post a lot. Are you using your toes?

Annie, my Hort. Society meeting the other night had a woman demonstrating salsa making. How yummy! I came away with some great ideas.

I know I've missed people ... Duh! :wave: anyhow.

My day has been full of the usual stuff topped off with Hershey medication. She is in a good space - she's a real dear - and we are just bopping along. Tomorrow she goes to get a major fur reduction at the groomer to get rid of the matted bits. Poor thing! She is famous for her fur but it will be clipped off so we can see how the regrowth responds to the new regime. I'm just back from visiting Harry at the nursing home but took Disney as he'd be upset to see his Hershey with such a crappy looking coat.

The sky is now so dark navy blue that the street lights have come on. We are about to have a huge storm so I'll log off before we get zapped!

Here's La Hersh in good fur! There will be no "after" pictures.

MELODY525 08-08-2008 07:03 PM

MICHELLE....HAVE FUN AT THE FAIR. :cheer3: I KIND OF DID THE SAME THING SO I COULD JUST GO OUTSIDE THIS WEEKEND. MAYBE HAVE A SOLO PICNIC!

RUTH... I COPY AND PASTE A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOPE HERSHEY WILL BE OK AND THE HAIRCUT ISN'T TOO BAD!! GOOD LUCK WITH THE REGROWTH. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND MY NORTHERN FRIEND. HUGS FOR BOTH YOU AND HARRY :hug: :love:

http://images.marthastewart.com/imag...ithchips_l.jpg
Cuban Sandwiches

Ingredients
Makes 2 sandwiches
4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Juice of 2 limes (about 3 tablespoons)
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 (12-ounce) pork tenderloin, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 ounces Black Forest ham, thinly sliced (about 4 slices)
4 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced (about 4 slices)
4 kosher dill pickles (about 4 ounces), thinly sliced lengthwise
2 (6-inch) soft French or Cuban rolls, split
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

Directions
In a resealable plastic bag, combine garlic, lime and orange juices, cumin, salt, and pepper. Add pork and marinate, refrigerated, for up to 4 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wipe off any excess marinade from pork. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook on all sides until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer skillet to oven and cook 12 minutes more. Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into 1/8-inch slices.
Brush insides of each roll with 1 tablespoon butter. Layer 1 ounce of Swiss cheese on one of the cut sides of each roll. Top each with 6 ounces pork tenderloin, 2 ounces ham, 2 ounces pickle slices, and remaining ounce of cheese. Top with remaining halves of rolls. Brush top and bottom of rolls with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Heat a panini press to medium high and grill sandwiches until heated through and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Slice on the diagonal and serve immediately.