3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   August Activity Action and Achievement for the worldly chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/147976-august-activity-action-achievement-worldly-chicks.html)

happy2bme 08-03-2008 08:54 PM

Hi chicks,

Checking in now as I'm not sure I'll be able to get in during the morning. DH and I are shooting for heading off to the health club in the morning.

:woohoo: Michelle that's the absolute very bestest news :yay: :cp: :carrot: you should be so very proud of yourself. This was truly a case of someone taking the bull by the horns and doing something about it. You didn't bemoan the fact that you can't have this or can't have that - just got determined and look at you now. highfive :high: and a hug :grouphug: I was thinking of getting a meter to test my blood - wonder if you can claim those on the health reimbursement accounts? I was wondering too if I can use my monthly gym fee for that too if I get the doctor to say that I am in serious need of losing some poundage. Anyway, I'm glad that you had a good time at the fair and got some decent weather. I see some storms but they look a bit north right now. That's quite a bargain price on the bedsheets. I have one set of 400 count sheets I bought a long time ago. They are starting to wear out but they are my favorite sheets. You just love getting in bed and touching them :lol:

Mel - you know that if you're going to polish up the chrome on the chairs that you have to also dress as a biker chick which means chaps with a thong or braless with a leather vest. Let me know what you chose AND the reaction in the office :lol: I went grocery shopping today and FORGOT to print some of your recipes out :censored: I think I have the fixin's for some of them. I have one of those pumpkin carving kits for making the elaborate designs on the pumpkins. Could probably use that for the potpouri suggestion you had. I'd like to put a spoon of my new cranberry tea in it. It smells heavenly but is way too expensive to use for just smelling nice. But maybe 1 spoon in the envelope will do.

Shad the sardine, hope you made it safely back to JK. :hug:

Is Annie hungover? Or just the new disco queen?

I am sooooo tired. DH and I got up early and worked for several hours in the yard. It was very, very hot outside. We drank Powerade and ice water and I put a cooler of ice water out that he dunks a towel in and puts on his head. We quit around noon and it just wiped out both of us. I did shower up and head out and get a pedicure and pick up groceries. I got 2 loads of laundry done, have to finish 3 more and find my gym bag so I can pack it up tonight. Also have to put the dry goods away and make menus for this week. I had premade crab cakes for dinner - yum, yum and I made DH a chef's salad so dinner was a no hassle.

Gotta go log points into WW for the day and get the rest of the laundry going. Will have no problem with an early to bed night.

Goodnight ladies... sweet dreams.

ceejay52 08-03-2008 09:29 PM

Got up this morning and drove to Paragould to go to church with the relatives. We ate lunch and took my aunt for a little outing and then came back home.

My uncle is going to the wound center tomorrow. My podiatrist is treating him. He may have to have a skin graft.

Diyana
That's great news concerning the diabetes. I try to tell myself we are what we eat.

Happy
I'm glad you have decided to try the gym. Don't over do the first time.

MELODY525 08-04-2008 07:16 AM

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...roudofyou2.gif
MICHELLE...CONGRATULATIONS GIRL!! GREAT JOB. YOU MUST BE VERY PLEASED WITH YOURSELF! WOW!!! I JUST LOVE GOOD NEWS ON A MONDAY MORNING! STARTS MY WEEK OUR TIGHT!! :cb:

:wave: HELLO SHAD :wave:

HAPPY....WOW THAT WAS SOME DAY OF SWEATING YOU HAD. HOPE EVERYTHING WENT WELL FOR THE EXERCISING. GUESS YOU HAVE BEEN THERE AND BACK ALREADY. :ebike: I'M ALREADY BRALESS MOST DAYS BUT I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THE MEN'S FACES IF I STARTEDWEARING A BLACK LEATHER VEST...MIGHT EVEN CARRY A WHIP WITH ME AND REALLY GET THEM EXCITED....ABOUT WORK I MEAN!! :rofl: :rofl:

CEEJAY....HOPE THE UNCLE WILL BE ALRIGHT. :hug: THAT WAS GOOD ADVICE FOR HAPPY. I HAVE MADE THAT MISTAKE OF BEING GUNG HO THE FIRST DAY!

GOT UP EARLY AND SHOWERED AND HAIR DONE. I WANT TO GET ON THE PHONE WITH THE WHCHAIR PEOPLE ASAP AND I NEED TO FAX STUFF TO THEM FROM THE OFFICE.
WILL CATCH YOU ALL TOMORROW.
HAPPY MONDAY/TUESDAY :moped:

ceejay52 08-04-2008 10:05 AM

Popping into say hello. Will be taking it easy for the next 6 work days that are 12 hours each.

I've brought some 3 pound hand weights with me to work for exercise and also wearing my pedometer.

Ruthxxx 08-04-2008 10:24 AM

Michelle, that is just wonderful news! I hope you are really proud of yourself. I wish to heck I'd been as smart as you when I first got this weight problem. Once you get real diabetes, there is no cure, just control. I did hear that there is a type of WLS now that can cure Type II but I sure don't intend to have any surgery if I can help it.

Ceejay, 12 hour days sound horrible! I know your job involves a lot of walking. How many steps most days?

Happy, the great thing about working so hard in the hot and humid weather is cooling off later. I assume you have air conditioning down there.

Shad, the Scotch really hit the spot. Too bad Disney couldn't have any.

Mel, biker chick, eh? Maybe I could send you my metal bra to dress up for the guys.

Disney is still pretty nervous after her horrible experience. I didn't take her to Obedience class yesterday. We stayed home and had quality time on the front porch. I read and she lay beside me and had tummy rubs.

We had the garlic harvest BBQ last night which was great fun but I did indulge in a tad too much wine. Actually friends kept filling my glass - they do look after me.

Outta here in a few minutes to pick up some donated fabrics for a quilt top I'm doing for Victoria's Quilts. I sure hope I can work with the colours the ladies have matched up; otherwise I'll be buying some more.

I hope everyone achieves something spectacular this month - weightloss would be nice! I am going to a MOD meet-up in September and sure would love to be in the 180's by then.

diyana 08-04-2008 10:57 AM

Good morning ladies --

I was woken up at 4:30 am by a major thunder and lightning storm that knocked out our power. Power was still out when it was time to get up and ready for work, which meant no fixing my usual breakfast or lunch (I grabbed a whole wheat bagel, cottage cheese and fruit from the cafeteria for breakfast and will get something healthy - maybe soup and salad for lunch). I haven't decided about walking at lunch, depends on the weather. I've motivated one of my co-workers so much that she's now pushing me to walk...even today when it will either be rainy or hot and muggy! :lol:

I want to thank you all for your support, encouragement and congrats on my achievement! I'm really thrilled and proud of myself. I've got a ways to go before I'm done reclaiming my health, but I am on my way!

Happy - did you make it to the gym today? My blood sugar meter was free. I got it from the diabetic educator. And it came with a few lancets and test strips...after which I had the doc prescribe test strips and lancets...and yes, I do claim those on my health reimbursement account. I'm not sure if you can claim gym fees on health reimbursement...but the big thing is to get the doc to "order" as much as possible. Smart of you to have lots to drink and cool wet towels for working out in the yard. I've had heat stroke more than once while living in California and it's no fun, so now I'm always remembering to bring all kinds of stuff to keep me cool whenever we'll be out in the heat. Ceejay is giving you good advice...start slow and easy at the gym. Don't overdo and hurt yourself. The more fun (and less painful) you make it, the more likely you'll stick with it.

Ceejay - Glad you had a nice time in Paragould. Sorry to hear about your uncle...I hope everything goes okay for him. Sounds like you have quite a busy work week ahead...good for you for planning ahead and bringing weights and your pedometer to work for exercise.

Mel - good for you for taking care of your wheelchairs. So it sounds like you're opting for the leather vest with your polished chrome chairs! You go, girl!

Ruth - you are so sweet. Truth be told, I've had the weight problem for years and years and years. But it was only about 6 months ago that I noticed I was drinking and pee-ing more (and from having diabetic pets, I figured I'd better have my blood sugar checked - so I caught my diabetes really, really early - my doc called it "borderline diabetes".). It's good that you're babying Disney after her traumatic experience. What is a MOD meet-up? Is that for 3FC moderators?? I'm glad you had fun at your BBQ.

Shad - I hope you made it to JK okay.

A big :wave: to everyone!

Love and hugs,

happy2bme 08-04-2008 11:01 AM

Good morning chicks,

Well I saw a number on the scale that I have not seen in a long, long time. :yay: Of course maybe that's the reward for weighing at 5am too :lol:

My peepers opened at 4:50 this morning even though I got to bed a bit later than I wanted to (could not find the darn bag of locks I had for the locker). I got decent enough to appear in public and woke up DH. We were out the door in the dark at 5:30. Mr. Feral was curled up sleeping in his bed. Miss Boo Kitty went roaming out the front door.

I walked into the club telling myself that today was the worst I would ever be, after this it is going to get progressively better as I get stronger. And no negative self criticism when catching glimpses of myself in full length mirrors. :dunno: Good thing I did a pep talk. DH and I walked all over the club looking for the locker rooms. Then we went back upstairs and got on the elipticals. Hah! I can tell you that FAT (which I have lots of) is NOT as strong as muscle. Ok so the eliptical is kinda hard. I knew that. I figured I could MAYBE do 10 minutes and would work up from there. HAH! 1 stinking minute. Yep, 1 MINUTE and I was a wheezin' away. I actually got 2 minutes done. With a break in between each minute. :lol: Meanwhile, DH is pumping away for 20 minutes at level 3. His first time on an elliptical which he has decided he likes. I slunk over to this arm machine - kinda like Mel's pedals but for arms. I did use it in physical therapy so I knew what it was about. Did 10 minutes on level 5 (started out at level 10 accidentally). It does help the arms as I had to shake them out when I was done. DH is still pounding away on the elliptical so I head over to the walking track. Got 4 laps in - 1/4 mile and quickly figured out that I have the wrong sneakers on. They are New Balance but not comfortable at all. By now DH has joined me on the track. I decide to go downstairs and get into the pool (the number 1 reason that I joined the club). I realize that the lockers we stowed our stuff in were way off from where the pool is so I walk back down the length of the club, go back upstairs to catch DH and tell him where to move his stuff (he was going to finish up in the hot tub). Then I trudged back down and did more walking and moved my stuff. The indoor pool is olympic sized :yikes: I guess they have swim meets there. And they have a moveable bulkhead which they sectioned off part of the pool. There were several swim team members swimming on the deep side but I was delighted to see that I had the entire shallow end all to myself. (There's an outdoor pool too). The water was just cool enough for a refreshing swim. I had finished 7 laps when DH showed up. He walked a mile on the lap track and said we needed to leave in 10 minutes so if I could finish up he'd wait outside for me. I went to get out of the pool and I realized I didn't pay attention coming in so I didn't know where the locker rooms were. No way I wanted to walk accidently into the boys :lol: So I asked one of the attendants who was very nice about it.

Both of us enjoyed our visit there. We are going to go 3 days a week MWF and since we have to get back home and showered up by 7:30 we will have to get there right at 5:15 when they open up. On the way over, DH was commenting about how this was a good time to come because the streets were practically empty. We were very surprised to see about 40 cars as we turned into the parking lot. Lots of people like Shad out there at there at the crack of dawn. Oh wait, the sun HASN'T RISEN at that time in the morning yet :lol:

I have decided to do cardio and swimming at the club and do the weights on Tuesday and Thursday myself at home. Ideally, to do a full circuit I'd need about 2 and a half hours and I just don't have that kind of time so we'll space it out accordingly.

The pool guys are supposed to show up today and do some work. We'll see if they do. No sign of the cement guys. :rolleyes:

Ceejay - I think that's a great idea to take your handweights to work. My friend does that as she is on conference calls alot. She gets a pretty good workout in!

Garlic harvest sounds good Ruth. Did they do alot of cooking (obviously there was some wine on hand :cheers: )

Mel - not sure Willie will let you on the bus with a leather vest AND a whip :lol: He might be distracted :eek:

Shad - glad you made it in ok. Happy financing - if there is such a thing :rofl: or are we still struggling with the HR folks?

Morning Michelle, Annie, Holly and the rest of the lot.

I gotta go get busy now...

Ruthxxx 08-04-2008 11:01 AM

Yup - some of the MODs manage to get together every so often. Two years ago we did Philly and some of them were in Asheville, NC last year. It's nice to meet face to face and spend time together.
Aside from the MOD meets, I've met many 3FC members including our own Shad, Hollyhock and that missing in action Carla chickie.

annie175 08-04-2008 11:18 AM

Happy Monday Ladies........

Saturday night was one fun evening. Didn't get in until 1 am, which is late for my 8:30 pm bed time. lol. I didn't even dance once, however the company was good. I laughed so much and so hard. What a great time we had. Did not meet prince charming either.

Michelle....WOWSER BOWSER. Congrats on the no diabetes!! How awesome!! You deserved a great report as you have been kicking heiny girl. Keep it up so it does not come back.....State Fair sounds fun, I haven't been to our State Fair in about 20 years. I think it is too expensive.

Ceejay...you have some great goals there, and very doable. Make us proud and stick to them. Maybe Michelle will rub off on you.

Happy...Cats are sly and demanding sometimes. I think its funny how they can work you. I got my passport in January and it only took 2 weeks to get it. Govt is much better and quicker about it now.

Ruth...OMG Poor Disney. That had to be so tramatic for everyone. Hope she and you are feeling better.

Shad...Have a great, safe trip, my dear.

MEL...I love the recipes. Keep them coming. Black leather vest..shuweee, if I wore one of those braless, my boobies would hang out the bottom of it. hahahaha

Holly...happy belated. I am bad at birthdays, hope it was a great one for you.

Everyone have a marvy day.

Love and Hugs

MELODY525 08-04-2008 12:37 PM

http://images.marthastewart.com/imag..._chicken_l.jpg
Grilled Chicken with Lemon and Oregano

Ingredients Serves 8
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tablespoon dried)
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grates
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 chicken halves (1 1/2 pounds each) or 2 whole chickens, split
4 lemons, halved crosswise
Oregano sprigs (optional)

Directions
Make marinade: In a small bowl, whisk together lemon zest and juice, oregano, oil, 2 teaspoons coarse salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Divide marinade between 2 large resealable plastic bags. Place 2 chicken halves in each bag; shake to coat. Let marinate at room temperature 30 minutes, turning bags occasionally.
Preheat grill to medium; lightly oil grates. Remove chicken from marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Place chicken, skin side up, on grill. Cover and cook, until lightly browned and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Turn chicken over; cover and cook until well browned, 10 to 15 minutes (an instant-read thermometer should register 175 degrees.when inserted into thickest part of meat, avoiding bone). If chicken is browning too quickly, move to cooler parts of grill or turn grill to low heat.
Transfer chicken to a cutting board. Tent with foil; let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place lemon halves on grill, cut side down; cook until slightly charred, 8 to 10 minutes. Cut chicken pieces in half; serve with grilled lemon halves, and, if desired, garnish with oregano sprigs.

annie175 08-04-2008 04:36 PM

Happy....I love watermelon, I could eat your avitar. YUM

diyana 08-04-2008 04:58 PM

Happy - Congrats on the long lost number on the scale! :woohoo: Don't be disheartened by the elliptical, when I started, I could only do 1 or 2 minutes on the lowest level. Good for you for trying. I hope you get better walking shoes. You did 7 laps in an olympic sized pool? Wow! That's awesome! I can't even do 1 lap before my asthma kicks in - I figure it might be the chlorine. Anyway, it's awesome that you tried (and accomplished) so much on your first day at the gym! YGG!

Annie - Our State Fair isn't too expensive if you buy your tickets in advance it's only $4 per person, with lots of free bands and animal shows. The rides are expensive...but I don't like rides anyway. This year, they even gave out coupon books for discount on food, which was nice.

MELODY525 08-04-2008 06:05 PM

http://i.timeinc.net/realsimple/i/p/...ner_burger.jpg
Turkey Burgers with Grated Zucchini and Carrot

3/4 pound ground turkey
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 slices crusty bread
4 small leaves Boston lettuce
4 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)

Heat broiler.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, zucchini, carrot, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and egg. Form the mixture into 4 patties.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties, turning once, until no trace of pink remains, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, place the bread on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining oil. Broil until golden brown and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer the bread to individual plates. Top with the lettuce leaves and burgers. If using, combine the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl and serve with the burgers.

Upgrade: For extra zest, rub the bread with the cut side of a peeled, halved garlic clove immediately after removing the bread from the oven.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 303(42% from fat); FAT 14g (sat 1g); CHOLESTEROL 94mg; CARBOHYDRATE 20g; SODIUM 633mg; PROTEIN 26g; FIBER 2g; SUGAR 2g

MELODY525 08-04-2008 06:11 PM

HAPPY....JUST IN HONOR OF YOUR NEW MOUTHWATERING AVATAR........

http://i.timeinc.net/realsimple/i/p/...rimp_salad.jpg

Summer Shrimp Salad

1 pound frozen, fully cooked medium shrimp, thawed
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 cups watermelon, roughly chopped
2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
2 avocados, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon honey
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped

In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, onion, watermelon, jalapeños, and avocado.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, oil, salt, and pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad; toss. Sprinkle with the cilantro. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 333(49% from fat); FAT 18g (sat 3g); CHOLESTEROL 0mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30g; SODIUM 599mg; PROTEIN 16g; FIBER 7g; SUGAR 11g

MELODY525 08-04-2008 06:28 PM

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...awesomecat.gif
WAY TO GO HAPPY WITH THE SCALE AND THE GYM!! GREAT NEWS!!! I AM SO GLAD FOR YOU'RE TAKING CONTROL OF THE HEALTH SITUATION!!! :cheer3: TOO BAD WE ARE SO FAR AWAY! I COULD BE YOUR FUTURE JOGGING PARTNER!!! :scooter: CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT NEW BEGINNING! GOOD LUCK WITH THE JOURNEY :hug:
PS; WILLY WOULD LOVE ME TO GET DRESSED UP AND CARRY A WHIP!! :rofl: HE'S DEFINITELY INTO COSTUMES!! :belly:

CEEJAY....GREAT PLANNING WITH THE JOB AND WEIGHTS. HOPE THE TIME PASSES QUICKLY THIS WEEK!

RUTH.....:cheers: NICE OF YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE SUCH GOOD CARE OF YOU!! WE WILL HAVE TO MAKE YOU THE :queen: OF 7000 GARLIC PLANTS!! YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!

ANNIE...YOU DIRTY STAYOUT YOU!!! BUT IT SOUNDED LIKE A GOOD TIME. DID YOU TRY SINGING THE SONG...SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME?? I'LL SEND THE A/C MAN OUT TO YOU FED EX!!! AND IF I WENT BRALESS...I'D BE RUNNING OVER MY FRIGGING BOOBS!!

:cloud9: I CAME BACK TONITE BECAUSE I WILL BE MISSING IN THE MORNING. DEFINITELY GOING FOOD SHOPPING FIRST. CLARA IS IN THE HOSPITAL...THE 94 YR OLD WOMAN I USED TO WORK FOR. GOING TO SEE IF I CAN GET A RIDE. ALSO A 16 YR OLD DD OF A COP PASSESD AWAY FROM SOME DREADED DISORDER. NOT SURE I CAN FACE THE FAMILY BUT I WILL GIVE IT A THOUGHT. AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET OUTSIDE MORE TOMORROW. THE SUMMER IS QUICKLY PASSING BY. BEFORE YOU KNOPW IT I WILL BE FREEZING MY BUTT OFF :brr: AND COMPLAINING!! SPENDT A LOT OF TIME OUTSIDE BUT I WENT ARMED WITH ALL MY MEDS IN MY STOMACH FIRST!! :dance: TIME FOR SHOWER AND DINNER. PROBABLY BE BACK WEDNESDAY.
HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.
GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE :sunny: