3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   August Activity Action and Achievement for the worldly chicks (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/147976-august-activity-action-achievement-worldly-chicks.html)

annie175 08-04-2008 04:36 PM

Happy....I love watermelon, I could eat your avitar. YUM

diyana 08-04-2008 04:58 PM

Happy - Congrats on the long lost number on the scale! :woohoo: Don't be disheartened by the elliptical, when I started, I could only do 1 or 2 minutes on the lowest level. Good for you for trying. I hope you get better walking shoes. You did 7 laps in an olympic sized pool? Wow! That's awesome! I can't even do 1 lap before my asthma kicks in - I figure it might be the chlorine. Anyway, it's awesome that you tried (and accomplished) so much on your first day at the gym! YGG!

Annie - Our State Fair isn't too expensive if you buy your tickets in advance it's only $4 per person, with lots of free bands and animal shows. The rides are expensive...but I don't like rides anyway. This year, they even gave out coupon books for discount on food, which was nice.

MELODY525 08-04-2008 06:05 PM

http://i.timeinc.net/realsimple/i/p/...ner_burger.jpg
Turkey Burgers with Grated Zucchini and Carrot

3/4 pound ground turkey
1 medium zucchini, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 large egg
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 slices crusty bread
4 small leaves Boston lettuce
4 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice (optional)

Heat broiler.

In a large bowl, combine the turkey, zucchini, carrot, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and egg. Form the mixture into 4 patties.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties, turning once, until no trace of pink remains, 4 to 5 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, place the bread on a baking sheet and brush with the remaining oil. Broil until golden brown and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer the bread to individual plates. Top with the lettuce leaves and burgers. If using, combine the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl and serve with the burgers.

Upgrade: For extra zest, rub the bread with the cut side of a peeled, halved garlic clove immediately after removing the bread from the oven.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 303(42% from fat); FAT 14g (sat 1g); CHOLESTEROL 94mg; CARBOHYDRATE 20g; SODIUM 633mg; PROTEIN 26g; FIBER 2g; SUGAR 2g

MELODY525 08-04-2008 06:11 PM

HAPPY....JUST IN HONOR OF YOUR NEW MOUTHWATERING AVATAR........

http://i.timeinc.net/realsimple/i/p/...rimp_salad.jpg

Summer Shrimp Salad

1 pound frozen, fully cooked medium shrimp, thawed
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 cups watermelon, roughly chopped
2 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
2 avocados, roughly chopped
Juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon honey
3 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped

In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, onion, watermelon, jalapeños, and avocado.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, oil, salt, and pepper. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad; toss. Sprinkle with the cilantro. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.

Yield: Makes 6 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 333(49% from fat); FAT 18g (sat 3g); CHOLESTEROL 0mg; CARBOHYDRATE 30g; SODIUM 599mg; PROTEIN 16g; FIBER 7g; SUGAR 11g

MELODY525 08-04-2008 06:28 PM

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...awesomecat.gif
WAY TO GO HAPPY WITH THE SCALE AND THE GYM!! GREAT NEWS!!! I AM SO GLAD FOR YOU'RE TAKING CONTROL OF THE HEALTH SITUATION!!! :cheer3: TOO BAD WE ARE SO FAR AWAY! I COULD BE YOUR FUTURE JOGGING PARTNER!!! :scooter: CONGRATULATIONS ON A GREAT NEW BEGINNING! GOOD LUCK WITH THE JOURNEY :hug:
PS; WILLY WOULD LOVE ME TO GET DRESSED UP AND CARRY A WHIP!! :rofl: HE'S DEFINITELY INTO COSTUMES!! :belly:

CEEJAY....GREAT PLANNING WITH THE JOB AND WEIGHTS. HOPE THE TIME PASSES QUICKLY THIS WEEK!

RUTH.....:cheers: NICE OF YOUR FRIENDS TO TAKE SUCH GOOD CARE OF YOU!! WE WILL HAVE TO MAKE YOU THE :queen: OF 7000 GARLIC PLANTS!! YOU WIN THE PRIZE!!

ANNIE...YOU DIRTY STAYOUT YOU!!! BUT IT SOUNDED LIKE A GOOD TIME. DID YOU TRY SINGING THE SONG...SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME?? I'LL SEND THE A/C MAN OUT TO YOU FED EX!!! AND IF I WENT BRALESS...I'D BE RUNNING OVER MY FRIGGING BOOBS!!

:cloud9: I CAME BACK TONITE BECAUSE I WILL BE MISSING IN THE MORNING. DEFINITELY GOING FOOD SHOPPING FIRST. CLARA IS IN THE HOSPITAL...THE 94 YR OLD WOMAN I USED TO WORK FOR. GOING TO SEE IF I CAN GET A RIDE. ALSO A 16 YR OLD DD OF A COP PASSESD AWAY FROM SOME DREADED DISORDER. NOT SURE I CAN FACE THE FAMILY BUT I WILL GIVE IT A THOUGHT. AND I WOULD LIKE TO GET OUTSIDE MORE TOMORROW. THE SUMMER IS QUICKLY PASSING BY. BEFORE YOU KNOPW IT I WILL BE FREEZING MY BUTT OFF :brr: AND COMPLAINING!! SPENDT A LOT OF TIME OUTSIDE BUT I WENT ARMED WITH ALL MY MEDS IN MY STOMACH FIRST!! :dance: TIME FOR SHOWER AND DINNER. PROBABLY BE BACK WEDNESDAY.
HAVE A GREAT NIGHT.
GOOD MORNING SUNSHINE :sunny:

annie175 08-04-2008 06:30 PM

MEL....I just fried up a zucchini, then saw your recipe. Murphy's Law. It was good tho. got 1 zuc, and 4 cuke, and 2 yellow tomatos out of the garden tonight. It is all so good, I think I have OD'd on fresh veggies out of the garden. Not to mention the veggies one of the girls gave me at work. I ate a green pepper and 3 banana peppers and a red tomato at my desk today. All that should cause a major explosion soon. Watch for fireworks out of the Indiana skyway. hahahahha

Shad 08-04-2008 09:02 PM

Morning all,
Just quick rush through since I am about to dash into training Project systems and Intercompany accounting. You can tell I am just riveted about this can't you?

Nothing new to report here. Went to the gym yesterday, did 6km and 50 minutes on the treadmill. Went down this morning and it is all closed and locked up - it's supposed to be 24 hour. So I went back to my room and sulked. Anyway, that's life. Right, better be off.

PS - Happy - see what happens when you get up early?? The scale co-operates!!!!! :rofl: Wish that happened with me!

Shad 08-05-2008 04:05 AM

Back again and having trouble getting advanced to work and show the last fifteen entries. Pooh. Now I will have to think - or maybe not. Nah it doesn't want to work and now I have another job to go and do. So I'll be back with some more later.

Ruthxxx 08-05-2008 08:20 AM

Annie's avatar makes me drool! Watermelon and corn - two great indulgences. Annie, aren't a lot of watermelons from IN? I visited a 3FC friend in southern IN and she was surrounded by fields of them. The northern part of the state seemed to be wall to wall corn!

MEL, those recipes are making me drool too! I sure wish I had a cook - Jamie Oliver would do.

I'm in my annual August funk! Every year in August, I get pissed off about summer winding down and look back on all the stuff I didn't get done - mainly in the garden and barn. It's time to make a realistic list and set some goals. I'll spare you the list that will include large jobs and a ton of niggles! I've decided to drop some community stuff like the cemetery board and the book club which will free up a bit of time this fall but have taken on the Victoria's Quilts thing. I may just make quilt tops and skip the meeting and fundraising part.

Disney seems to have recovered from her traumatic weekend experience. I have an appointment for a check-up for Hershey and will have the vet take a look at Disney in case there are any internal injuries. She's behaving pretty normally except she now cringes if there is a sudden movement toward her. Poor wee thing!

Time to just "get on with it" as my Mother would say when we whined!

diyana 08-05-2008 08:42 AM

Good morning ladies --

After the storms kept me up most of Sunday night, I went home and relaxed last night. I'm hoping that the weather will be nice at lunch so I can walk.

Happy - With today being Tuesday, does that mean you're doing weights today? Do you do that before or after work? I hope you have a great day!

Mel - So sorry to hear that your friend Clara is in the hospital. Sending healing thoughts her way. Also my condolences to the family that lost their DD...so very sad.

Annie - I'm so jealous of all your fresh veggies....I guess your garden is just way ahead of mine since you live in the "South"! (or at least south of where I live) :lol3:

Shad - Good luck with training! Good for you for doing so well at the gym yesterday...bummer that it's closed today.

Ceejay - I hope your work day goes smoothly today!

Rennie - Do you still have company at your house?

Ruth - Is Disney relaxing a bit more now?

Patty - How are you and Blackie doing?

Lots to get done today so I'd better get a move on.

Love and hugs,

diyana 08-05-2008 08:44 AM

Ruth - Looks like I was posting at the same time as you. I'm glad Disney's doing better.

happy2bme 08-05-2008 08:54 AM

pssst Ruthie - I'm the one with the watermelon avatar - Annie has a fairie - that is unless I'm going blind :rofl: Of course then again you wouldn't be the first one to confuse me with someone else. Unless I'm so wretched that no one will say my name :yikes:

I usually feel the way you do around our Labor Day which is the beginning of September and up north signalled pretty much the end of another summer. Since our warm weather extends into November I don't quite get the blues the same way but I can relate to the "I really need to get a handle on some things". Perhaps you can set aside one day - no board activity, no volunteer work - just one day a week to devote to something on the must do list. Remember that you eat and elephant one bite at the time so to say... I imagine it will take a long time for poor Disney to forget that horrid incident.

Shad - not sure why you keep having so many troubles with the site. Mostly it's just slow for me but I'll take that over your issues any day. Bummer that the gym was locked up. That stinks royally. Maybe the desk clerk didn't show up for shift change or is it just an exercise room that someone might have accidently locked? That's happened to me in hotel workout areas - I left not knowing and said something the next day - Oh that's NOT supposed to be locked. Duh.

Annie - hope your explosion wasn't too bad. I did see some flickering to the north last night :lol: and I can relate. But it's SO worth it for the fresh stuff, isn't it? I had a nice fresh mozzerella, tomato and basil with balsamic viniagrette side with an awesome steak DH made for supper last night. Ate only half, the rest is today's lunch. Is it lunch time yet? :hungry: :lol: I grew some banana peppers last year. They are very easy to grow and quite prolific if you like them. I'd say you could probably get your fill for the season out of just one plant.

Happy shopping Mel. Thanks for the great summer recipes. I think I remember you talking about Clara. It's great that you will be able to visit her, I'm sure she will appreciate it.

Thank you all for the kind words. I just hope I can keep the downward trend going.

Thank you too Michelle for pointing out that you too struggled with the elliptical at first. That's very encouraging to keep plugging away with it. And I think because in your mind you are aware of the blood sugar issues you have, it will be motivation to stick with healthier eating.

Time got away from me this morning, I need to get a move on or there will be no parking for this chick at work unless I want to walk from Kookamunga. :lol:

Have a great day chicks and :wave: to those I didn't get to individually including lurkers like Carla ;)

happy2bme 08-05-2008 08:55 AM

and isn't this just the best avatar? I LOVE watermelon. This picture was so pretty I had to copy it from some ad. :lol:

annie175 08-05-2008 10:47 AM

Ok, I am getting rid of the fairy as soon as I find something else. lol

Ruthxxx 08-05-2008 12:25 PM

Duh! I really know the difference between Happy and Annie. I just associated Indiana and watermelons. Can you tell I was impressed by the quantity when I visited?

Just signed up for another Block of the Month quilting class for one Saturday morning a month. I'm an idiot! At least it's for me, not the community. I am going to cut way back on pet therapy sessions too. Six hours a week is a bit much for me and for the dogs. Disney perks along just fine but Hersh is getting old and draggy.

MELODY525 08-05-2008 12:58 PM

http://images.marthastewart.com/imag...6edf19_e_l.jpg

Chili-Rubbed Salmon with Zucchini and Sauteed Corn

Ingredients
Serves 4
4 skinless salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 pound medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 3-inch spears (about 1/2 inch thick)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen corn kernels (4 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped scallions
1 container (16 ounces) prepared fresh tomato salsa (2 cups)
Lime wedges, for garnish (optional)
Directions
Heat broiler; set rack 4 inches from heat. Rub salmon all over with salt and pepper. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle top of fillets with 1 teaspoon chili powder. Arrange zucchini around salmon; sprinkle with remaining teaspoon chili powder, and season with salt and pepper.
Broil until fish is opaque throughout and zucchini is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add corn and garlic; cook, tossing, until corn is tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in scallions and salsa; season generously with salt and pepper. To serve, place fillets on plates, and serve with zucchini and half the corn. Reserve other half of the corn for next day. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.

MELODY525 08-05-2008 01:00 PM

ARM IS KILLING ME.
MUST BE THE WHCHAIR CLEANING.
PUT A CALL INTO THE DR SEE IF HE IS AWAY NOW :cry:
WILL READ AND NOT COMMENT.
LOVE YOU ALL THOUGH :hug:

Shy Moment 08-05-2008 06:11 PM

Melody
Please take care of yourself.

D
They left this morning. Oh the quiet. I missed it. Today is full of cleaning house and doing laundry. Then back to the camp grounds. We are going to the state fair Friday and Saturday. Busy week, full of fun.

Shad 08-05-2008 09:27 PM

Morning all - Selamat Pagi - apa kabar.

Morning happy - with the watermelon avatar, which does indeed look fresh and enticing. Glad to hear the gym is going just fine for you and that you are intending to do the weights bits at home. Just do as Auntie Ceejay says and take it easy at first. I remember when I started on the treadmill, I walked fairly slowly for 20 minutes, then I gradually got faster, then I ran for a minute, and then 2 and so on. Now I can last out 50 minutes at a fairly reasonable speed. So it does work. If you come out of it with a good sweat up, you have done well. I don't understand the problem I have with the go advanced site, but I put up with it, because I need my worldly fix every day.

Mel - nice looking recipe that - but beef is like gold around here and they have no idea how to cook it, they can ruin a good piece of porterhouse in minutes and I am not paying 120000R for a piece of shoe leather. Sorry to hear that you have annoyed that arm again. You too are going to have to put a time limit on some of the things that you can do.
D'uh - just worked out that it is salmon and not steak. Says a lot for my mental health that!!!

Ruth - you don't have it on your own that end of season comes and we have not achieved what we should have. I'm on that list as well. And I have a list of projects to be done! The list does not mean that it will happen, unfortunately. It just means that you've thought about making it happen. This year I have achieved a couple of things from the list, but not everything. I suppose some is better than none.
Just seen the label above your avatar. Is the Lucy lily from your garden? Was it planted for a certain young lady??

Michelle - hope the storms go away for you so you can sleep and walk and do the things you want to get done.

Annie, your vege garden sounds delightful - be careful Michelle and Ruth don't swoop and capture the goodies.

Rennie - good to see you back again.

I have training scheduled for much of today. We're doing some NORMAL stuff like purchasing and requisitioning. It will be fun to get back to something completely practical.

I managed the gym this morning. Did some weights and crunches. Worked up a fair sweat, so I must have done a good 30 minutes workout. Then went back to the room to wash out the smalls and get ready for today. Speaking of which.......

I had better go and get emotionally prepared. I never realised how hard it can be with broken accents, mixed metaphors, and two languages being spoken together. I am learning but it's draining. Now I understand how my South American friend used to feel at the end of the day, when he only wanted to speak his native Spanish or Portuguese or whatever it was he spoke.

Shad 08-05-2008 09:31 PM

Uh - I think the number of posts has got stuck again. Some years back I got to 27XX something and then it went back to a couple of hundred. Now I was about equal with Happy's number and now I am way behind. Either she is sneaking around making posts or mine is stuck again.
I don't really care too much. Just making a noise!!!! :rofl: I know how long I have been here.

Ruthxxx 08-06-2008 07:22 AM

Good morning, Worldlies.

Shad, yes, the lily is in honour of dear Lucy. The pic is not current as the one in the garden is not yet blooming. It's been in slightly open bud stage for ten days now. In mourning?

Miss MEL, do take care of YOU for a change.

We're off to the vet this morning. Disney will have a post-trauma check and Hershey and I want to get to the bottom of her fur loss. She's far from bald but it certainly is thinning. As Shad and Hollyhock could tell you. La Hersh is famous for her fur! She's also got two of those raw calluses on her "elbows" so will probably be in one of those Mother Superior collars for a while.

Despite all the rain (and we have another week of wet ahead of us). I harvested the first tomatoes and green beans from the veggie garden yesterday. It's certainly a late harvest. The good thing about the rain is that the lawns are nice and green - usually they are brown and crunchy in August.

A slight splash of sun is happening right now. I may get a chance to work outside before it's vet time.

MELODY525 08-06-2008 08:01 AM

:cofdate: GOOD MORNING. LOTS OF RAIN AND A BIT COOLER HERE. STAYING INDOORS AND USING MY DVD'S. TRAVELING WITH MY AUSSIE DVD TOO THIS AFTERNOON.
TYPING WITH ARM GLUED TO MY SIDE. 2 DRS ARE ON VACATION. BOTH TEACH AND DO CLINICS. SO THEY WILL BE BACK. SCHOOL STARTS SOON. :dance:

HAPPY...HOPE THE EXERCISE SCHEDULE IS WORKING OUT. :hug: thinking of you!

RUTH..HOPE DISNEY IS OK AT VETS

SHAD...ACCENTS...... :rofl: I'M SORRY BUT FOUND THAT COMICAL

ANNIE...ALMOST COULDN'T FIND YOU WITH MISSING FAIRY...WAS THAT YOUR EXPLOSION I HEARD LAST NIGHT? WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH THE TNT SEND IT HERE!

MICHELLE...ARE YOU STILL FLOATING ON AIR WITH ALL YOUR GOOD NEWS? :yoga:

:wave: TO CEEJAY WORKING HER BUTT OFF

RENNIE...ENJOY THE SILENCE :lol3:

ceejay52 08-06-2008 09:03 AM

If I could get some sleep I'd be fine. day 3/6 12 hour days. I'm looking forward to my two days off. Tonight I'm taking a Tylenol pm.

My weight this morning with clothes on is 190 which is what it was at the drs office last visit. This will be my starting point. This is my highest weight.

Ruth
Hope things go well at the vets office.

Mel
Take it easy. I love to watch the travel channel.

To the rest :wave: I'll be back later this afternoon.

happy2bme 08-06-2008 09:09 AM

Morning chicks,

Good workout this morning. Elliptical still kicked my butt, spit in my face and laughed at me :sumo: But I gave it the hairy eyeball back. I walked, swam, and did some arm strength stuff (while thinking of Mel). Can't seem to cool the inner core tho.

Had to separate the cats today. New cat Curly gobbled his food down and tried to infringe on Mr. Feral. Poor old Mr. Feral has no fangs and a califlower ear but his hisser still works fine. DH had to chase Curly off with a hose. Won't have no cat fights in the yard. Our Boo was no where to be found.

Like Mel, I too laughed about trying to work around the accents Shad. With the influx of Indians in the workplace, I am starting to understand what it's like when not everyone speaks like us. Hope your training went well. I know what you mean about the post counts, sometimes it hiccups tho I have been posting on some game threads which probably bumped my count up a bit.

Mel - you take care of those arms will you? I did the exercises for you today :rofl: :hug:

The lily is quite pretty Ruth. Hope the pups will be fine. Perhaps Hersh has some allergies.

Back to welcome normal for you Shy.

Annie - I think you should use that hot pic of yourself as your avatar. If --- wait WHEN - I get to looking that good, I'll be strutting the stuff too :lol:

I did get accepted into a diabetes management program. Twice a week 1 hour sessions for 3 months. Meet with a nurse, nutritionist and exercise coach so I'm looking forward to it. I go for my initial evaluation tomorrow. Maybe I CAN finally turn things around again :D Thank you Michelle for mentioning nutritionist and setting this all into motion for me :hug:

Ok, much as I'd rather play here, I have to get to work.

Have a good day chicks...

happy2bme 08-06-2008 09:12 AM

Ugh Ceejay - 6 straight 12 hour days :faint: that's REALLY hard on the old bod.

As for your weight - you can borrow my mantra - today is the worst I will ever be - each day I get smarter, stronger and slightly better than the yesterday I left behind. No pressure there :lol:

diyana 08-06-2008 09:14 AM

Happy Wednesday ladies --

Didn't get to the gym last night...DH and I went for a short hike instead. Plus, I walked yesterday at lunch. I've got a co-worker who is trying to improve her health, so we walk every day at lunch. I am feeling a bit sad that Brett Favre will no longer be with the Packers. He's a great quarterback and will be missed in Wisconsin. As of now, it's unclear if he will be traded to another team or stay retired. It's just sad that because of all that's been said and done (by both him and the Packers) over the last several months, he is feeling unwanted by the organization he gave 16 years of outstanding football memories. Enough of my Favre soapbox.

Mel - Please take care of yourself and don't overdo.

Rennie - Sounds like you have a busy and fun rest of the week ahead. You sure had company for a long time, and you're still cleaning!

Happy - Shad is exactly right....take things slowly. When I started, I could only do about 5 minutes on the treadmill before my back pain would flare up - so I mostly used recumbent bikes for 15 or 20 minutes. Then I got to the point where I could walk 15 minutes slowly. Now I go for 30 minutes and every now and then bump up the speed to a slow jog. It's all about progress.

Ruth - I, too, have lists of things I didn't get done this summer. Heck, some stuff on my list is from last winter. But they will all get done eventually (over the next few years). I hope everything goes okay at the vet (sending big hugs to Hershey and Disney). No fair that you're harvesting tomatoes up in Canada! Sheesh! My tomatoes are still green! :tantrum:

Shad - The weather today and the rest of the week is supposed to be gorgeous. Highs in the upper 70s/low 80s and very little humidity! Perfect walking, gardening and generally being outside weather! Good for you for getting to the gym so regularly and big kudos for learning the language while in Jakarta.

Ceejay - Sorry that you're not sleeping well and working so hard. I hope you get through the day okay and are able to rest, relax and sleep tonight.

Busy day ahead for me, so I'll sign off for now.

Love and hugs,

diyana 08-06-2008 09:20 AM

Happy - you posted at the same time as me. Good for you for giving it back to the elliptical, and for walking, swimming and getting a good workout. Sorry to hear about the kitty issues. Good for DH for looking out for Mr. Feral. I'm SOOOOOO happy to hear you are in a diabetes management program! That's awesome! Sounds like you'll get a lot of great info and support! Good for you!! I learned so much from my nutritionist and my exercise coach at the gym helped a lot too. Having a team of experts helps you manage this condition! Yay to you for getting your team together!! I LOVE your mantra - awesome!

annie175 08-06-2008 09:47 AM

Good Morning, Hump Day and Trash Day is here already!! Yikes life is going too fast.

Ceejay...try the natural melatonin to get some sleep. It worked for me and my nephew.

MEL...take care of those arms, cause you need to post on here the delicious recipes..

Happy...boy, that is a tough mantra but worth succeeding at, you go girl!

Michelle...Hiking and walking is great exercise, just moving is great, so the missing the gym is no biggie.

DS has an interview at 10:00 this morning with the Chief of Police, hopefully this will get him on at the police department. Wish him luck!!

DD took my picture on her cell phone this morning on the way to work (we carpool), it makes my nose look like pinnoccio, and I didn't even lie.

We had thunderboomers yesterday, the good news is the humidity is supposed to be less today. I hate to say it, but my garden needed it.

Work is nutty today, I guess I fit right in. LOL.

Hello to everyone.

Love and Hugs,

annie175 08-06-2008 12:35 PM

Holy Cow....guess what they had in the cafe' today?

Fried Green Tomatos and Black Eyed Peas...YUM YUM.

Hey Grandpa, What's for dinner?? (HeeHaw)

MELODY525 08-06-2008 03:39 PM

I WAS BROWING THE MAYO CLINIC FOR A FRIEND HE IS PRE-DIABETIC ALSO. I FOUND THIS LINK FOR DIFFERENT HEALTHY RECIPES & THE MANY EATING PLANS INCLUDE DASH & DIABETES:hun:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hea...ecipes/RE99999

http://i.timeinc.net/realsimple/i/p/...eals-4_158.jpg

Cod with Beans, Corn, and Pesto

INGREDIENTS:
6-ounce pieces cod fillet (about 1 inch thick), skin removed
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound green beans, cut in half crosswise (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 leek (white and light green parts only), sliced into half-moons
2 ears corn, kernels cut off the cob (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons store-bought pesto, plus more for serving

DIRECTIONS:
Season the cod with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the undersides are golden, 3 to 5 minutes.

Flip the cod and scatter the green beans and leek around it. Add 1/4 cup water, cover, and cook until the vegetables are just tender and the fish is opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes.

Transfer the cod to plates. Stir the corn into the green beans, cover, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the pesto and serve with the cod and additional pesto, if desired.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 255(29% from fat); FAT 8g (sat 1g); CHOLESTEROL 58mg; CARBOHYDRATE 15g; SODIUM 428mg; PROTEIN 30g; FIBER 4g; SUGAR 3g

MELODY525 08-06-2008 03:55 PM

CURRIED ZUCCHINI SOUP

Serves 4

Zucchini is a marvelous squash - mild and slightly sweet - and accepts flavorings readily. This curried soup can be made hotter by using a spicier curry powder blend.

Ingredients:
1 ½ T. extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, roughly chopped
1 T. curry powder
Salt, to taste
2 lbs. zucchini (small to medium size), cut into 1" dice
6 c. vegetable stock
¼ c. long grain brown rice

Preparation:
In a heavy pot, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and sauté for about 10 minutes. Add the curry powder and a pinch of salt and mix with the onions, continuing to cook the mixture for a couple of minutes. Add the zucchini, stock, and brown rice and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup for about 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Coarsely mash or, if desired, cool soup, then pour it into a blender and process until smooth.

Top with fresh mint and serve hot.

diyana 08-06-2008 05:09 PM

Annie - I'll bet you don't look like pinocchio. I'll bet your garden loved the thunderstorms. I know my veggies appreciated the thunderstorms we had. I hope your work day goes better.

Mel - Please take care and rest your arm, okay? Thanks for the link to the Mayo Clinic recipes.

Shad 08-07-2008 04:04 AM

That was the training class that I didn't need to have.

It was awful. And there were only two in it. Aaah well things come and things pass. Life goes on as per normal.

It's three o'clock in the afternoon and I just managed my lunch. Wonder what time tea will be???

Nothing else is new. I'm tired and I think I will leave early and either go for a swim or go for a massage. Haven't worked out which yet.
Last night we went to dinner because one of the guys was having a birthday today. His lady friend is coming over for the weekend and so we had the celebration last night. Went to a restaurant just newly opened in the building complex called Portobello. It had dark and moody lighting. Made it difficult to read the menu. The prices all looked quite reasonable until you saw the portions. They were tiny. Some portion control. Aaah well the project paid for the meal so I should not complain.

Yesterday I went to the gym and later in the afternoon for a swim and also had a spa. Nice too. This morning I was too tired to get up and go so I might just fit in a swim to give myself some exercise for the day. Then again the smog is bad out there today so maybe not. I'll see how I feel in a couple of hours.

Speaking of which - I'm out of time and have to get back to class. I'll be back.

happy2bme 08-07-2008 07:12 AM

Morning chicks,

No time to post right now- I have an early morning appt with the nurse for the Pre-Diabetes program and I should have been showered all ready instead of sitting here on the computer. But I need some coffee BAD this morning. So just browsing now, be back later.

Hope the evening is better than the day Shad.

I'm betting your don't look like Pinnochio either Annie ;)

MELODY525 08-07-2008 08:01 AM

A SMOGGY DAY IN A JAKARTA TOWN SHAD? SENDING GOOD THOUGHTS TO YOUR LUNGS!! HOPE YOU FOUND SOME ENERGY!;hug: HAD A LAUGH AT THE MEAL...MAYBE WE NEED TO LEARN THAT IN RESTAURANTS HERE! :faint:

HAPPY...HOPE THE APPT GOES WELL. WILL BE THINKING OF YOU TODAY.

MICHELLE...YOU ARE WELCOME! lhug:

ANNIE....MAYBE THE NOSE GREW WITH THE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES :rofl:

THE MAN FOR THE CHAIR IS COMING TODAY BETWEEN 9-5. WISH I HAD A BETTER TIME BUT NO DICE. SO I AM OFF TO FINISH CLEANING IT AND SPRUCING IT UP TO TAKE DOWNSTAIRS. THINK I WILL FOOD SHOP TOMORROW INSTEAD. I SEEM TO BE DRAGGING MY BUTT THIS MORNING!
HAPPY WEDNESDAY!

diyana 08-07-2008 10:39 AM

Happy Thursday ladies (or is it Friday in JK, Shad?) -

I walked at lunch yesterday - it was gorgeous out! And I went to the gym last night and did a 1/2 hour strength training class. Today, I'll walk at lunch and walk after work as well.

Shad - Sorry your training class went so horribly. I hope you enjoyed your swim/massage. Take care in the smog. Aerobic exercise requires oxygen...not smog. :lol:

Happy - I hope your meeting with the diabetes program nurse goes well. I'm sure it will be helpful for you! I think anyone trying to make healthier choices should meet with a nutritionist. It helped me a lot.

Mel - I hope your chair repair goes well. Don't overdo with your arm, though.

A big :wave: to Annie, Ceejay, Rennie, Holly, Ruth and everyone else!

Well, gotta go for now.

Love and hugs,

ceejay52 08-07-2008 01:02 PM

We are having rain today. It was so dark earlier you would have thought it to be night time.

Logged 3300 steps yesterday plus rode the stamina bike for 20. I was in the bed by 9.30 p.m.

I'm logging food again after my sugar binge and pizza binge. I can't handle those things very well any more. I'm pretty sure that poor planning was the culprit. I let myself get to hungry and one point during the day. I want to stay around 1600-1800 calories.

I'll be lugging up the supplies that the guys left downstairs while ago. They are to lazy to bring them up. I should wait and see if Brandon and Brian come back over then make them to it.

No time for personals right now.

MELODY525 08-07-2008 04:35 PM

http://i.timeinc.net/realsimple/imag...ickenrice1.jpg
Coconut Chicken and Rice

8 boneless, skinless chicken-breast halves
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
Zest from 2 limes
3 cups uncooked basmati rice
2 cups chicken stock
1 14-ounce can coconut milk
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon salt
Juice from 2 limes
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut

Heat oven to 325 F.

Lightly coat a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the garlic, cayenne, and lime zest; set aside. Place the rice in the baking dish.

Combine the chicken stock, coconut milk, cilantro, salt, and lime juice and pour onto the rice. Arrange the chicken on top of the rice. Cover with foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the rice is tender and the chicken is cooked through.

Remove the foil, sprinkle the coconut on top, and cook 5 minutes more or until the coconut is browned.

Make-Ahead: The recipe can be made up to 1 day ahead. Cover with foil and refrigerate. Reheat, covered, in a 325 F oven for 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the chicken comes out warm.

Yield: Makes 8 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 571(0% from fat); FAT 17g (sat 12g); CHOLESTEROL 78mg; CALCIUM 53mg; CARBOHYDRATE 66g; SODIUM 401mg; PROTEIN 37mg; FIBER 2g; IRON 5mg

Shad 08-07-2008 08:36 PM

Morning all.
Went for a swim and a spa again last night. Did about 20 laps of the pool and then shot into the spa. The air quality is terrible and today looks even worse. This morning was gym and I really only did 30 mins - 10 each on bike, elliptical and treadmill. The gym was late opening although it is supposed to be a 24 hour job - you have to get a key to get in there in the wee small hours apparently - so I was running out of time this morning, but I did get a good sweat up so maybe I didn't do too badly.

Michelle it is Friday in Jakarta. Actually it is Friday everywhere west of Fiji to somewhere around Namibia in Africa. That may not seem like west to you lot but it is here. Well done on the gym and walking. I haven't stopped sweating yet after my stint, so at least we are moving the muscles and blood bits around.

Mel - do take it easy on the arm with those chairs. We do not need you down and out for a period of time - what would lurker Karen do without her recipe fix?

Ceejay - those are long days. Get those guys to put the deliveries away for you. You don't have to do everything you know.

Happy - hope the day works out well for you and the nutritionist. If it works for you and Michelle, I may just try one myself. Something has to work one day.

And with that I'd better get on with work - no classes today but there is still a huge mound of doco to wade through. So now might be a good time to get on with it. I will have to work one day of the weekend. I'm trying to get out to the Orchid park sometime this weekend. Hopefully we can find a driver to take up there.

Have a great day and don't forget to sweat

happy2bme 08-07-2008 10:43 PM

Hi all,

It was a long, lousy day today and I am dead tired. Finish this up and I'm off to bed. I think I'm still trying to deal with changing my routine around, to bed 2 hours earlier and up when the clock is reading 4.

They came to put in the new pool liner today and from out of nowhere came these massive rain storms. So that put a quick halt to that. The pool pump went out and DH had to buy another. More money "down the drain".

Went to pick up my orthotics and the doctor checked off the wrong style. These are ultra cushy for diabetic patients. They sure are cushy but are so wide I could use them for snowshoes in a pinch and they don't leave much room for my feet once I cram them in the shoes. :lol: The lab is making new ones.

Not going to the gym tomorrow. I have to get a fasting blood test and there's no way I can do a workout on a completely empty stomach. I will try and make up the day on the weekend.

I went to see the nurse today. This is a research program funded by a grant which hopes to keep pre-diabetes people from making the turn to Type 2 via education and exercise. They asked alot of questions because part of keeping their grant is lots of statistics. The lady asked me if I had questions and I'm the type to ask them as we go along but it was obvious that they weren't interested in really answering alot - just move along lady. She asked what was a typical breakfast (oatmeal, chopped apples and walnuts), a typical lunch (grilled salmon and vegetables with an occasional cheeseburger thrown in for good measure :D ), and dinner - lean grilled protein with fresh veggies. She looked at me and said if this is true then why are you overweight? I said - you tell me. I'm sure she thought I was lying but gall bladder surgery and acid reflux keeps me from too much fat and with the glucophage I swear I am losing my taste for sugar or at least it is lessening leaving my biggest vices as a daily partial can of Coca Cola (sometimes none) and an occasional once a week at best ice cream.

I have an appt to meet with the nutritionist next week before the first nutrition class and I will start the exercise class (taught by a personal trainer and massage therapist) next week. I know what healthy foods are, what I'm hoping to learn is "eat this instead of that" kind of thing. Shad, I have heard many people sing the praises of a few sessions with a nutritionist/dietician. I'll let you know how it goes.

Did I say I was very tired?

Orchid Park sounds lovely Shad - hope you can get there this weekend. It sounds as if you are getting a decent workout in the gym there - when you can get in. Just keep at it.

Mel, I hope the arms are doing ok. Sending you some good thoughts :grouphug: I hope you didn't overdo it cleaning up the chair for the repair guy. :(

Hope the weather didn't cause you too much trouble Ceejay. Sounds like you got a good workout AND a good night's sleep yesterday. Good for you!

Glad you're getting some nice weather Michelle. It's much more pleasant to walk outside if you can. Sounds like you could almost form a walking club at work!

I hope DS' interview went well yesterday Annie. That would be great to get on the force :crossed:

ugh - I got home kind of late and just had a turkey sandwich. I should have done cranberry mustard instead of mayo but mayo sounded so good with the fresh tomatoes. Now the heartburn is raging. Going to go pop an antacid and head for bed. Good night...