3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Losing Weight in 2008! Thread #2 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/131235-losing-weight-2008-thread-2-a.html)

midwife 01-13-2008 08:47 PM

Losing Weight in 2008! Thread #2

Hi guys,
I took the liberty of starting a new thread since the last one was getting long and no one had posted since yesterday. I hope no one minds too much!

This week will mark the halfway point for January! Or 1/24th of the way through 2008. :dizzy: 2007 flew by so quickly that I am still dizzy :dizzy: and I want to hang onto this year as much as possible.

Today I did pretty good with food and exercise. :carrot: I had fish and it was so easy and so good, why don't I eat it more often? And so good in calories I can eat plenty (and I did, but stayed within reasonable calories).

For the first time since we have owned it (4 years?), I used our bowflex this am. Legs only. Tomorrow I will do arms and alternate. I also ran 3 miles. My legs are TIRED!

Let's kick off a great week!

jillybean720 01-14-2008 07:47 AM

Thanks, midwife--I was about to start a new thread this morning, so I'm glad I saw yours! I'm going to go post a message at the end of the old one to let people know to come here :)

Well, looks like my voyage on the South Beach Diet has been delayed a bit--we're visiting with Jeff's dad and his family again tonight AND tomorrow night (read: going out to dinner both nights). SBD will have to wait till Wednesday, as I don't trust myself to eat out two nights in a row and only order grilled chicken :devil:

soon2beslim 01-14-2008 10:18 AM

Good morning everyone.

I had a great weekend. I weighed in this am And I am the same weight. But I did go on the treadmill for half hour before I weighed myself. Usually I weigh myself first thing in the morning before anyelse, so I don't know if that will make a difference. I get all my measurments done on Friday a curves so I'll see then how things look.

Midwife: Good for you for getting going on the bowflex, we have one too, but my husband uses it more than me. I enjoy curves instead.

Jill: Enjoy your dinners out. I'm sure you'll have more control than you think.

Have a great day!!

Jen415 01-14-2008 10:32 AM

Hey y'all!

It was a pretty productive weekend for me. I was able to get all my laundry done AND PUT AWAY! Plus I did some sorting on my desk, paid some bills, and did some experimenting with my new convection oven!

Although my eating wasn't insanely out of control, I didn't always make good choices. One thing I definitely could have done without was a bag of salt and vinegar potato chips--water retention, anyone? So I am drinking water and green tea like crazy to flush it out.

Anyone watching their carbs? I'm thinking that would probably help me with sugar cravings if I kept my carbs to the good ones like in fruit and whole grains.

jillybean720 01-14-2008 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jen415 (Post 1997957)
Anyone watching their carbs? I'm thinking that would probably help me with sugar cravings if I kept my carbs to the good ones like in fruit and whole grains.

I will be watching carbs starting Wednesday! That's what I liked about South Beach before--the first 2 weeks with almost no carbs (except some in low-fat dairy and veggies) really help to crush my cravings. After that, it's a focus on incorporating the "good" carbs--whole grains, fruit, more veggies, etc. Of course, I keep saying I'm going to do South Beach, but I'll really likely use it as a guideline more than food law, if ya know what I mean ;) I'm probably not going to freak out if I eat some corn in Phase 2, ya know? It needs to be a plan for life, so I'll adjust my menus as I go along, keeping moderation in mind.

midwife 01-14-2008 12:37 PM

Jilly, eating out is soooo hard. Even the best choices really don't turn out to be that great, ya know? Good luck with starting South Beach. Sounds like a good plan.

Jen, I LOL'd cause I can always wash, dry and fold the clothes. Putting them away is another deal altogether!

Soontobe, I am surprised at how sore my quads are today. :-) I'll do upper body today. It really wasn't that time consuming. I wonder what has stopped me all these years? Good for you for going to Curves. I've heard that a lot of people really like it.

soon2beslim 01-15-2008 10:02 AM

Hi guys,

I had my measurments done a few days early at curves last night. I needed a little boost! I am down 3/4 of an inch. Not much, but enough to see there is still something happening after all the hard work I'm doing. I will keep poking along, In the end it will all pay off!

Have a great day!!!

newstart33 01-15-2008 10:57 AM

Thanks for the new thread midwife.

I thought it was time to get back on here hopefully to keep me in check. I stepped on the scale yesterday morning and I was up 5lbs. Probably water retention added with not making the best choices last week. Time to start again. I am sensing that I am getting discouraged very easy and need something to kick my butt into gear. I desperately need to find an exercise that I like doing so it will be easier to stick to, but I am in a small town and I am not kidding when I say my options are limited.

Sounds like everyone is doing well, kudos to the weight loss.

soon2beslim 01-15-2008 03:15 PM

Ugh!!!!! Today has been a bad day!!! I did well until lunch and then I lost all control of myself. I was making Mac and Cheese for the kids and Instead of making my own healthy lunch I figured I would have a little serving of the Mac. Big mistake!!!! It ended up being a large bowl, 4 cookies, and some cheese!!!!! What am I doing!!!! I have done well for 3 months now and even did good through the holidays. I never eat what I'm making for the kids, I always make something else for myself. I think I need to avoid the Kitchen for the rest of today, hopefully I can regain control of myself!!!!!

jillybean720 01-16-2008 07:10 AM

midwife, I ask myself the same thing all the time (I wonder what has stopped me all these years?). When I get ona roll with the healthy eating and/or exercise, it doesn't seem all that difficult. And yet, time and time again, I fall out of the habits and feel like it's impossible to get back into them :dizzy:

soon2beslim, congrats on the lower measurements!! I'm sure you'll regain control after your mac n cheese stray. You sound like you're in a good place--not obsessing over it or freaking out, but rather knowing you need to just get back up and move on.

newstart33, I hear ya on the dificulties of fun activities in a small town. I grew up in the middle of nowhere, and people would suggest I join a gym or a sports league I liked or something. Problem was, none of those things existed in my area! I eventually grew to love Tae Bo and Walk Away the Pounds workout videos--I could do those in any town ;)

As for me, I'm starting Phase 1 of South Beach today. I weighed in this morning to get my official pre-SBD weight, but it said 322, which I think includes a bit of water retention from the past few nights of eating big meals out. I'm going to put 320 as my starting weight and see where Phase 1 brings me (it's a 2-week phase, and "typical" losses are something like 8-14 pounds--I'm sure the higher end applies more to men, those jerks :p).

Jen415 01-16-2008 12:19 PM

Hey girls!

Jill: Good luck with South Beach! If it were me, I'd take the 322 and celebrate even the water weight pounds! :)

I have been feeling pretty crappy the last couple of days--so has Alan. I haven't tossed my cookies yet, but I feel like I might! UGH. Definitely not too hungry because of it!

midwife 01-16-2008 03:55 PM

Hi all!

Jen, sorry you're not feeling well. Hopefully it will pass soon and not be too messy as it goes. :hug:

Jilly, good luck with South Beach! I can't wait to hear about your successes :carrot:(and I'll lend an ear for the struggles too---why do they always come up now and again?)

Soontobe, I have blips like that more often than I care to think about. :o Stepping away from the situation and chugging some water can help. Looking at the scale. Visualizing myself at my goal weight.....it's hard!!

NewStart, sorry to hear about the 5 pounds. Maybe they will go away as fast as they came. It does sound like water retention. Have you tried Walking Away the Pounds?

As for me, I had an NSV at the hospital cafeteria today. I stuck to my plan of half a turkey sandwich and a chef salad despite the temptation of something far more caloric (and, sadly, very delicious....but I did NOT plan for it, so I did NOT eat it.)

It's amazing how sometimes this is easy and sometimes it is hard and how somedays I can be so patient and philosophical about lifestyle changes and how some days I feel like a 2 year old. I am ready to see the $*%&#$ scale go down, but I guess it is not ready yet. I shall stay the course, anyhow.

Louie 01-16-2008 09:38 PM

Hi, Ladies :wave:

It seems that I am having a hard time getting here during the week to check-in. I am quietly supporting all of you in the background and will definately find some time on the weekend to catch up !

To all of you that have lost.. congrats !! To all of you that have weigh-ins coming up.. good luck !! And to those of you practicing maintenance.. well done !! Keep on keeping on :D

jillybean720 01-17-2008 05:35 AM

Louie, we enjoy hearing from you if it's once a day, once a week, or once a month--whenever you get a chance!

midwife, we all hear ya! I have days where I am SO strong (like yesterday--I SO wanted a cheeseburger, but I made sure to take a route that wouldn't make me drive past McD's :devil:), and then days where it's like, forget it, I don't care, I'm having what I want, dammit! Which is very reminiscent of my niece's attitude--she will be 1 later this month :p

Jen, I hope you're feeling better!

As for me, I'm sitting here sipping a glass of V8. Part of South Beach is that you're supposed to eat 4.5 cups of veggies each day. HA! I don't think I normally eat that many veggies in a WEEK! I just don't like 'em. So a glass of V8 gives me 2 servings of veggies, which makes me feel a bit better. I'm also eating salsa on a LOT of things and having broccoli with dinner, so it's a step in the right direction, at least.

I peeked at the scale this morning: 319.5, so at least I've gotten rid of some of that water. We'll see what Day 2 brings...

Jen415 01-17-2008 10:18 AM

Hey y'all....

Well I didn't lose my lunch...instead I ended up with diarrhea all day! The only good side of it--I dropped 4 lbs overnight! So I'm at 319 this morning--I'm beatin' you Jilly! :)

Jill: I have to do the V-8 route too...I really don't care for veggies either--I eat them because I have to :(

Midwife: Staying the course is crucial. How often do I give up because the scale isn't giving me approval? That is why I am still over 300 lbs...I must constantly remind myself the scale is JUST A TOOL, not the be-all-end-all of a healthy lifestyle!!

Louie: Keep checking in and telling us how you are!!

So I have a question: what's everyone doing for their exercise? I have DVDs and equipment just begging to be used, but can't get my lazy self off the couch to do it!!