Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #151  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

meowee - I just wanted to come back to tell you that I called General Mills, who makes the Fibre One bars and they are well aware of the fact that the US/Canadian versions have such a large difference in fibre content. First she said that it was just a labelling thing - in that the US and Canada have different interpretations of how to calculate fibre but that the bars were the same. When I asked what ingredient causes this difference she put me on hold to check and came back to say that it wasn't just the labelling, there is some difference in ingredients due to different restrictions. I couldn't get anything definitive so next time I find them I'm going to look at the ingredients and compare to the US version. I'm still going to eat them...they're delicious!! It just seemed so strange.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #152  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Not too worry . . . glad you got an answer . . . even if it isn't very satisfactory. I did go to WalMart today and I looked at the boxes and, of course, you are absolutely right and I was going to come and tell you that I thought maybe it was just a labelling error. Obviously, I'm wrong about that. It will be interesting to hear what the differences might be. Keep us posted, please.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:45 PM   #153  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Well, today we did have that lovely sunshine and the temps were pretty nice too. Lots of sick ones in our home right now; so just stayed in and did house stuff. One of our furry babies is pretty sick and DH came down with the flu again, but he was considerably better today. Had such a late night last night; didn't fall asleep until 3 am. It's my legs that do that; they hurt sometimes, and so I have to get back up and take something for the pain, as I did last night.

I see that some of you have been discussing differences between US and Canadian products. My mini beef is that I hear of stuff mentioned that we can't even get here unless we order online; but most of the time I just try to find a close substitute. Living in a very small town, way up north probably makes a difference too ~ LOL!

Have a great night, CHICKIES ... ROSEBUD
Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #154  
Onward and Downward

Oh yeah ROSEBUD; it's enough to drive you crazy if you let it. Living in rural Nova Scotia does have it's advantages, but shopping options is definitely NOT one of them.

Atlantic Canada is in the midst of another storm right now -- right around here, we are (so far) just getting a little bit of snow and a very big bit of wind -- hope things don't make a change for the worserererer.

As you know, the first day of Spring is officially the 20th this year . . . last night the Halifax news came up with a new way to describe it . . . "Spring is only three storms away" . . . oh well . . . no doubt we will be complaining about the heat soon enough.

Have a fun day . . .
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 PM   #155  
Rosebud

we had a good day today; I deliberately slept in a bit, but I had a nap this aft and that really helped my legs a lot. Had an overcast day, but the temps weren't too bad; the sun tried to shine through a few times though.

I got a lot of pics of birds today; couldn't believe how many came to visit today! DH said it had to be the same ones coming back over and over again; I said that's becuz of all the food he is putting out there ~ LOL!

Yah, the first day of spring used to always be on the 21st; they keep changing it. I wish they would leave it on the same day for all the seasons; it would be simpler. What's 1/3 of a day anyways??? ... LOL ...

MEOW ~ you guys have a lots of storms out there; our winter has been pretty mild compared to yours this year. Thanks to ^the big guy^ in the sky!

WELL, it's time to get off to bed or I'll never get to sleep; take care ROSEBUD
Old 03-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #156  
Onward and Downward

Good Morning . . .

We are having a lull between storms day . . . nice and but very cold . . . but apparently another big storm is coming in for the weekend.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 AM   #157  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

I'll be soooooooo glad when this winter is over. We've got over four feet of snow in our backyard. There's no more coming for the next few days, but it's way too early for it to be over. This past week has been he**ish trying to get around after the huge dump we got on the weekend. DH had an appointment at the hospital on Monday. In the summer this hospital is a 20 minute walk. It's not far, but it's winter - we planned on getting there by taxi since it was -10 and the streets and sidewalks were full of snow. When we called for one, all the lines were busy (means they're not taking any more calls), so we headed out to the street to flag one down. Nope. Tons of taxis on the road, but all full of passengers. So we walked over to the street that runs towards the hospital to try to catch the bus that runs along it. Nope. No bus, and huge queues. So we start walking the rest of the way and no bus or available taxi is anywhere in sight. By this time, we're starting to cut it close to the appointment time, so we walk faster, but it's -10 and I have asthma that is triggered by cold air, so I'm gasping and wheezing and having a great time.

I haven't been able to do my cardio properly all week because my lungs are still not happy after the cold air abuse I sent their way on Monday - I've been coughing my head off and pounding back the steroids trying to settle them down. Fun fun! Gripe gripe gripe.

I started my tomato seeds this week so it's 'officially spring' in my mind. Today I've got a bunch of other seeds to start and I have to start some bulbs. It's sunny and going up to +1, so I can pretend it's spring outside too

I can't decide weather I prefer the winters in NS or the ones in Montreal. Here it's bloody cold, and there's tons of snow. There, it was sort of cold, but damp and half the snowstorms turned to slushstorms before they were over and things got really wet. You know, actually - I hate them both! I'm a summer lover, through and through.

BP
Old 03-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #158  
Rosebud

BOPEEP ~ sooo ... you wouldn't want to live here: we have very, very cold temps AND mountains of snow out there ~ LOL! Actually, it's fairly mild for here today, but we had a small snow storm this morning; now it has stopped so DH went to get the mail.

We were gonna go into town today, but the mini-storm changed our plans. Maybe we'll go later or tomorrow ... we'll see. There's no rush really becuz we keep a stocked pantry and freezer. Just taking it easy today; one of our little furry babies is very ill, so we are staying with her more. The other one came down with something too; the flu is everywhere. What a strange year; hope it leaves soon ...

Take care ... ROSEBUD
Old 03-15-2008, 01:16 AM   #159  

Rosebud - which area of Ontario do you live in? Montreal is colder than the heavily populated areas around the lakes, and we get more snow than most areas (for some reason Ottawa area gets more snow than us). Are you in the frozen hinterlands of Ontario? I don't think I could move there if I had to! Brrrr!!!! I've always felt kind of gypped when it comes to cold tolerance - I thought the more fat you had the less the cold was supposed to bother you. Not me!!

And it looks like my lungs have recovered. I felt like crap when I got on my elliptical and was planning on going slow and long, but I got lost in the music and before long I realized I was flying along at a pretty fast pace!

meowee - here's hoping your latest snow gets blasted by the sun in short order! :

BP
Old 03-15-2008, 01:39 AM   #160  
Rosebud

Sadly, our little SWEETIE passed away tonight, but we are glad that she won't be suffering. It will take awhile to get used to not having such a delightful friend in our lives; we were blessed to have her with us for 15-1/2 wonderful years.

BOPEEP ~ we live way, way up north in the JAMES BAY region of Ontario; we usually get in the -30s in March; we have seen low -40's, but not for some time; the windchill factor can make a difference though. This year we also have mountains of snow; this is a record year for us too. The town has been shipping it in trucks to the countryside ~ LOL!!!

Take care ROSEBUD
Old 03-15-2008, 09:10 AM   #161  
Onward and Downward

ROSEBUD . . .

Good Morning to Everybody . . .

Not much on my agenda for today . . . just sitting around waiting for the snow to start. Oh Joy.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #162  

Rosebud - sorry to hear of kitty's (?I assume it was a cat, at that age?) passing. Been there, done that several times, and it's heartbreaking.

So you really are in the frozen hinterlands!!! I could not live there - if it's colder than -15 out I can't go outside (my asthma will trigger and I get a fun visit to emerge, an IV shoved in my arm, and I get to take even more steroids - yuk!). I don't know what possesses me to stay in Montreal since we spend much of the winter in the -20s, but at least we get enough days where I *can* go out and get the shopping done to keep us from starving to death. But the payoff is the summer - I looooove the heat and humidity we get here. I'm nuts

meowee - I'll keep all body parts crossed that this storm wimps out on you

BP
Old 03-16-2008, 12:14 AM   #163  
Rosebud

... THANKS ... for your kind words ...

BOPEEP ~ SWEETIE was originally from a canine family, but we think that she was confused as a puppy and thought she was human; becuz she was one of the most clever, funny, good, and loving friends we ever had. She lived a nice long life; and we are grateful for every minute we had the delight to know her.

We had some huge flakes here last night, and milder temps. Kept busy doing early spring cleaning; it was that or sit around and cry all day. It will take some time to adjust to not having that lively doll around here; thankfully, we still have her daughter with us for now ...

Take care ROSEBUD
Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 AM   #164  
Onward and Downward

Hey BP . . . think it worked because we only got about an inch of snow out of yesterday's bluster.

Today we are having another beautiful and "lull between" kind of day so I must get out to play. Actually the last couple of storms have been very gentle with us and I really, really hope that the one predicted for tomorrow will be equally kind.

ROSEBUD . . . I'm sure that Sweetie will always be with you in your hearts.

Anyway, gang . . . I'd best get my self in gear so I can get out and about . . . hope you all have a great day . . .

Last edited by meowee; 03-16-2008 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #165  
Rosebud

MEOW ~ THANKS for your encouragement; yes, she will live on in our hearts and minds forever. We had lovely sunshine today, so we went for a drive and I took some pictures of the snow mountains we have along the side of our roads. Will post some when I get them downloaded and sorted.

HAVE A GREAT WEEK ... ROSEBUD
Closed Thread