Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 05:25 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 311/305/150

Height: 5'9"

Smile

I actually did try south beach once before, about 4 years ago. I was living with a friend who was doing it, and the way she explained it to me in a nutshell was that it was similar to Atkins, but low-fat.

That's only for Phase 1, which lasts 2 weeks.. or you can do it longer if you want, but it isn't sugggested b/c you can burn out on it and just give up. (which is what happened to me)

Phase 2 is the long part of the diet, where you gradually add in carbs to find the perfect balance where you can eat them and still lose weight. Like I said, I didn't get that far.

I've got the book, which I'll be reading in the next two days, and I'll keep you posted.

As much as a carb/sugar addict as I am, I love proteins and veggies just as much, so I don't think it'll be too hard to adjust. The first week is a pain in the butt though, but it pays off. Your cravings for sugars really do stop. Sugars even make you feel crappy, which is a nice side-effect.

I'm only going to do phase 1 for the reccomended two weeks this time though. Losing 15 lbs in the first two weeks tempted me to stay on phase 1 for longer, as it was the first time I had EVER lost any weight.

So here goes. I found that on the Fat Girls On The Beach message board has a few great stickies with the good/bad foods, and a more organized overview than mine. I tend to ramble, I apologize.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 330/315/154

Height: 5'6

I was walking and dancing when I lost the 80lbs in 5 months. My goal weight may or may not change depending on how I feel when I get close to it.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:07 PM   #48  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Hey, I just noticed we have some chicks here from Northern VA and MD--I'm in the lovely DC Metro area, too!

As for me, it's been a bit of a rough day. My sister lives about 200 miles away from me and has one biological daughter named Isabelle (Izzy). Well, I got a phone call from my mother earlier today asking if I'd heard from my sister, and when I told her no, she filled me in on what's been going on in the last 24 hours. I had just said good bye to Izzy on Wednesday when my sister's family and mine both left my parents' house in CT to head to our homes in VA, so I knew she'd been fine at that point. Apparently, when my sister picked Izzy up from her babysitter's on Friday, she wouldn't use her left leg at all. Mind you, Izzy will be 1 next month, so she's been crawling around and pulling herself up to stand and has been very active, so not using a leg was alarming. Appropriately so, my sister and her husband took her to the hospital for X-rays where they found a fracture near the top of her thigh bone. The hospital immediately suggested they start an investigation into the babysitter for possible child abuse, and they ran more tests and did a full body scan for any other injuries. After lots of tests (and lost sleep), they've discovered another fracture on Izzy's shin bone near her ankle and a previous healed fracture in her wrist. My sister and brother-in-law have already spoken with a social worker, and last I knew, they were waiting for DCA at the hospital. We're all sort of shocked/angry/frightened/confused...at one point, the hospital said Izzy also had an elevated white blood cell count, which could be indicative of Leukemia, but further testing has shown her blood counts returning to normal, so thankfully that has been ruled out. It's been a stressful day, and I'm sure it's going to continue for quite some time while they get everything all sorted out. I hope with all my heart there is a rational explanation, but they've tested Izzy's bone density to be sure she's not more brittle than others her age for any reason, and her bones are normal for her age. They also said that at a minimum, the fracture on her thigh is a "forced fracture," meaning it could not have occured accidentally by her stepping on a toy or falling from trying to walk. Izzy is currently in a splint from her little ankle to her hip. Learning to walk will have to wait a bit.

Sorry for the tangent--I needed to get it out, and I need to remember that eating or being lazy about WHAT to eat will not help my sister or Izzy at all, so back to topic here!

For those discussing South Beach, I did it a few years ago and had some success with it. I stayed on Phase 1 for a few weeks and then did well on Phase 2 for a couple months, but then I just lost it and never went back. I liked it a lot because I didn't really "count" anything. I just added back in healthy carbs (fruits, starchier veggies, whole grains, etc.) in Phase 2 and found it very easy to follow. Then again, I was living with my sister at the time, and we were doing it together, which made it a lot easier since there were no naughty foods in the house

I've also done calorie counting, calorie cycling, low carb, whole foods...right now, I'm just aiming for healthier foods all around and am not too worried about specific numbers as long as I'm losing. I know my calories will be lower with healthier foods and more reasonable portions, and I will likely track my calories again eventually so I know where to go when I'm no longer seeing the progress I'd like, but I'm going to do my best to not fall into the trap of allowing the numbers (of anything--carbs, fat grams, calories, veggie servings, whatever) to rule me because that's when I most feel like a failure--when I set strict standards for myself that aren't really maintainable.

MissingMyErica--I've definitely seen some recipes on HungryGirl that make me wonder if they're any good. Some just sound so far from the real thing that I can't imagine it would be a good replacement for the real thing. I do like reading their food reviews, though, and there are some great tips on their site and in their emails. I'm not much of a cook, though, so I haven't tried their recipes, so I have no feedback for you!

zoritsa--I WISH my tastebuds enjoyed veggies! I do like lots of fruit, but it's not very filling to me, so I try not too eat too much of it because I'm just hungry again 10 minutes later My taste buds are actually VERY picky; I don't even really care much for chocolate (and can't STAND dark chocolate!). I sometimes have to get very creative with my meals in order to not get bored!

Magrat--my puppies will be 5 months old on New Year's Day. They are Corgi/Jack Russell/Chihuahua mixes. They are from the same litter but look sooo different--we basically have a Chihuahua (female named Bean, about 4.5 pounds) and a Corgi (male named Bowser, about 12 pounds).

midwife--good luck in AZ! I know in January, we'll be going to a party with Jeff's family out near Annapolis, MD, going to my company's holiday party, and visiting Jeff's mother (who, of course, loves to feed us and send us home with leftovers). Planning will certainly be key!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 311/305/150

Height: 5'9"

Where abouts are all of you DC Area people from? I'm in Fairfax, VA.

Jilly, I am so sorry to hear about your niece. My thoughts are with her.

I am thankful that the 12 days of Christmas are over with at work. There were endless potlucks, parties with lots of booze and food, and all kinds of sweets. It was such a horrible temptation, although I think as a result, everyone at the office will try to be on good behavior for atleast the first week of the year.

Is anyone not waiting for the new year, and starting now while the motivation is hot?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #50  
Project Down-Sizing !!

Default I did it !!

In October I started a 10 week program at the local rec centre where I worked with a trainer a few days a week. I really enjoyed it - although they did kick your butt - but the program ended at the beginning of December.

Since then I have been exercising a few days a week on my own and have been trying to decide what I want to do as I don't want to lose the momentum.

Over the past few weeks I have been trying various facilities in my area and today I joined a fancy new gym

1 step in the right direction
Old 12-29-2007, 11:33 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 175/155/125

Height: 5'1

Congrats Louie for joining the gym. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I have been going to curves 4 - 5 days a week and I love it. I tryed to do it on my own at home and found that there was to many distractions. Going out of the house to workout has been the best move for me. I still try to add alittle with the treadmill and tapes at home when I have time.
jillybean720 I love reading your posts and I look forward to sharing my 2008 and journey with all of you.
A big HELLO to everyone else. I look forward to getting to know you all better and sharing all the good and bad of our 2008 journey together.
WE CAN DO IT!!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 AM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingmyerica View Post
I tried the "fried zucchini" recipe from Hungrygirl.com today and well let's just say....I wasn't thrilled. I guess my expectations were too high and I expected it to taste just like regular fried zucchini. Ah well, live and learn. I love veggies, so it's no big deal. I use zucchini instead of cucumbers in my salad, just to get in another healthy veggie. I did make some homemade sugar free/fat free hot chocolate mix out of powdered nonfat milk, splenda and cocoa. It tastes so good, and since I don't use artificial sweetner in anything else, I thought I'd use it as a treat. Has anyone made any new (healthy) recipes lately?
I've been using the following faux fried zucchini recipe for a few years now. I think it might have originally been a WW recipe but I'm not sure. I haven't tried the HG recipe you referenced but I did look it up to make sure it wasn't the one I use. I mix a tablespoon of light ranch dressing with a little horseradish to dip the zucchini in and love it. I can't claim that it is exactly like "real" fried zucchini but I have honestly come to prefer this lighter version:

3 small zucchini cut into sticks or rounds
2 Tablespoons seasoned breadcrumbs
1 Tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
garlic salt, paprika to taste (I usually use just a couple of shakes each)
1/2 teaspoon olive oil

Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Mix breadcrumbs, parmesan, seasonings, and olive oil in a bowl with a lid. Add zucchini and shake to coat. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes.

Hope you like it!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #53  
No description available.

Jilly--I'm so sad for you and your family. Hopefully Izzy will heal quickly. The loss of trust and anger on the part of her parents will not heal as quickly I suspect.

McMoo, I am already on it. I have been actively in my lifestyle since September, with some pauses for various holidays and a binge or two. But I am clinging to it again today!

Louie, Congrats on joining a gym. There is a small, woman-owned gym close to my house. Independent (not a Curves or anything like that). My sister-in-law's friend opened it. I'm thinking about thinking about maybe perhaps checking it out. Maybe.

Soontobeslim, Thanks for putting out there that getting out of the house helps with exercising. Maybe I really should check out this chick's gym.

Lucky, that sounds good. In the past fried zucchini has simply been a mechanism to shove Ranch dressing in my mouth. I could eat it with some nice marinara sauce though.

I am on plan so far today, and yesterday was pretty good.

ETA: I just checked out the website for that independant gym....seems really hard-core and big time. I am not really that kind of athlete. Wonder what she offers for an overweight 30-something midwife who wants to learn to life weights??

Last edited by midwife; 12-30-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #54  

Oh, Jilly, I am so sorry to hear about your niece. I can't even imagine the range of emotions your family must be feeling. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

I have to give myself a little pat on the back...yesterday I mentioned to my sister that I was getting myself back on track and back into shape. She isn't actually overweight but does want to be healthier and more fit and her response was, "Okay, I'm going to jump on that bandwagon with you but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE wait until the 1st!" I have to admit that my natural instinct was to say okay and spend the next couple of days indulging for the "last time". But, I gathered my wits and told her no and that I instead was going to use the enthusiasm and motivation that I was feeling right then to start reaching my goals NOW. If there is anything I've learned losing weight it is that motivation comes and goes...and I was very proud of myself for making the CHOICE not to let this blast of excitement pass me by!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:24 PM   #55  
Gotta make it happen...

S/C/G: 289/273/246

Height: 5'8

Jilly... so sorry to hear about your niece. I hope that you have received some good news since your last post. You definitely are in my thoughts and prayers.

Louie... congrats on joining the gym! That first step is always the hardest and you did it!

Lucky... way to go! Procrastination is one of my naughty lil habits so kudos to you for not giving in to that. I actually had someone try to discourage me from going to WW on Thursday. "Just wait until the week after since it's so close to the New Year." Nope... I'm going on Thursday just like I planned and I'm going to make sure that nothing gets in my way. Gotta defeat that habit.

Today has been a pretty good day. Was able to unload lots of fattening leftovers either through cleaning out the fridge or by giving them to other relatives who really wanted them anyways. Trying to make sure that I don't have bad choices around. My grandma is here visiting though and she has made lots of favorites and put them in my freezer!! OMG... I'll have to go light on the points for breakfast, lunch and snacks to be able to accomodate the comfort food that I'm being left with. No matter what, I'm starting though. Not going to use that as an excuse to put it off another week.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:25 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 225/198.2/150

Height: 5'5

Hey everyone...just checking in quick before I go to work.

Jilly, I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. I would be out of my mind! I'll keep you in my prayers.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:18 PM   #57  
Project Down-Sizing !!

Hi Lovely Ladies

Hope everyone is having a restful weekend. Saturday night was date night and hubby and I went and saw "I am Legend" - it was good, although a little disturbing at times.

As for today, I was up early so went to the gym. Then I went and wandered around downtown and bought myself a new moleskine diary - I am a self confessed stationary junkie !!!

Jilly ~ thougths with you and your family

Soon2beslim ~ I use to go to Curves but their hours just didn't work for me. I hear ya about the "at home" thing, definately easier to schedule some time for yourself and exercise outside of the home.

Lucky ~ thanks for the recipe, it sounds yummy Kudos to you for not falling into the January 1st temptation

Midwife ~ I was a bit freaked to join the gym as well. But now I just take my ipod, zone out to the music and do my thing

Luvs ~ aren't grandma's great What program are you following at WW?

Sounds like the dryer might be done, guess I better get back to being a domestic goddess (oh my hubby would LOL if he read that !!). Enjoy the rest of your weekend and keep on keeping on

Last edited by Louie; 12-30-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 PM   #58  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks to all for the thoughts and well wishes--I spoke with my sister directly today since everything started with her daughter, and some information relayed to me by my mother got a bit jumbled along the way. The fractures in Izzy's shin and thigh are both near the knee, so it looks like they would have been caused at the same time, not two separate incidents. Also, the babysitter apparently called my sister to see how Izzy was doing earlier on Saturday since she knew Izzy left her house on Friday favoring a leg. My sister seems convinced that it is not a case of intentional abuse, but the babysitter is still not allowed to watch ANY children (she typically watches 5 on weekdays) until the case is closed by the detective and DCS, which they say will be about 45-60 days. In the meantime, my sister is going to work on Wednesday (office is closed Monday and Tuesday) and will explain the situation and see if they can work out an arrangement for her to work from home (which is feasible since she is primarily a recruiter working on phones and computer). If they are unwilling to work with her, she will quit her job (luckily for them, her husband makes enough that they could afford for her to do this). So, emotions are still running high, but at least the dust is starting to settle and we're all thinking a bit more rationally.

McMoo--I actually work in Fairfax! I live down in Woodbridge, though. I've also lived in Alexandria and Manassas and worked in Chantilly, Centreville, and McLean, so in the 3 years I've lived in the area, I've quickly become a bit of a NoVA mutt

I'm not completely waiting until the new year to start being healthier. I can't say I'm going full force right now, but I'm already at least working on setting myself up for success (planning, buying certain foods and, more importantly, NOT buying others, etc.). For example, we went out for lunch today, but instead of our usual greasy meal from Chili's or some other chain, we went to Panera, who does have their nutrition info posted online for easier healthy decision making.

If I could exercise half as much as my puppies, I'd be skinny in a month! I'm having a blast watching them right now--they each stand about 12 feet apart and stare at each other for a minute until one can't contain him/herself any longer and charges at the other, and then they run around the house chasing and jumping on each other. We do play with them, but they haven't quite grasped the concept of "fetch" (they will chase a toy we throw, but won't return it), and Bowser won't even do much of tug-of-war...he's too obedient and immediately lets go if he thinks you want the toy. They sure keep us entertained--and busy!

I have to work tomorrow, but Jeff doesn't. Hopefully, my office will close pretty early, and then we have to pack up the puupies to head up to Jeff's cousins' house in MD for New Year's (not a party--just a family dinner out and some time to exchange gifts since we didn't see them at Christmas).

Alright, off to cook some lean turkey burgers with thin-sliced Swiss cheese on whole wheat buns for dinner
Old 12-30-2007, 06:51 PM   #59  
Gotta make it happen...

S/C/G: 289/273/246

Height: 5'8

Louie... I absolutely LOVE my grandma. She's here visiting for the holidays but she's leaving tomorrow. I'll be so sad to see her go. Grandma's have a way of making the house feel so warm and cozy! I'm going to do the flex plan. Are you doing WW too?

Jilly... glad the dust is settling there with Izzy and your family. It's easy to get emotionally charged when it comes to the young ones in our family. It's our natural protective and nurturing side. I know I'd be the same way if my 2 kids were involved in anything similar.

You talk about energy? Watching my two jump from one activity / game to the next today has all but worn me out! Then they look at you and say, "I'm bored." LOL Kids are something.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi Everyone, hope u can make room for one more... I just had a baby 4.5 months ago, by c-section and was able to start exercising 8 weeks later. I got up to 200 lbs during my pregnancy, and lost 35 right away, puting me at 165, 10 lbs more than what I was when I got pregnant. I assume like a lot of u guys, I have struggled with my weight for my entire life. Because of a lack of self-esteem as well as self-confidence I have never fought to obtain the body I have always envied and wanted. After having my baby, my stomach is destroyed with stretchmarks, it looks like i was attacked my a pack of wolves, as well as my inner and outter thighs. This has made it terribly difficult for me to find the motivation to drop the weight because I feel like even if I get there my body looks like **** anyway. (I am VERY hard on myself, and it is very easy for me to get down about it) I notice that I have an eating disorder and am an emotional eater. I HAVE to nip this in the butt before it gets even more out of control. I am hoping that joining a support group will help me, and hopefully I will be able to motivate some of you... I feel like losing 35lbs is impossible and can't imagine what some of you who need to drop more weight feel... I admire all of your strength and determination and I am hoping to get some of that back for myself. I was 165 (my highest weight, not including my pregnancy) 3.5 years ago and through exercise and watching my diet more closely I managed to drop 20 lbs down to 145. I know I just need to stick to an exercise program for a couple weeks and I will be well on my way again.... Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all, and hopefully both individually and together we can muster up the self-confidence to obtain our goals!!!! Happy New Year!!
Closed Thread