Floozies #32

You're on Page 1 of 21
Go to
  • Hey, ladies! I took it upon myself to start a fresh thread, since Dee suggested it.

Dee-My eating yesterday was horrible. I ate cookies all day at school. If I am real upset, like when I hung up on evil MIL, I can't eat. But if I do start with sugar, I am all day long eating. The girls didn't get a whole lot for Hanukkah. I told them it would be lean this year, so I only spent $300.00 on each. Patty got a pair of Versace sunglasses. That was her only gift, since they were that much. Becky got a pair of running shoes, a Vera Bradley purse and a couple of other things. Patty's 18th birthday is Jan 13, so I already got her the silver Tiffany bracelet that I gave Becky when she turned 18.

This is the last few days for work until Jan. 7. The kids at school are restless and the week has gone on forever!!! Better get going.
  • Good morning Shelley~I know what you mean about the holidays being lean! I spent about $400 on each of my kids. All their presents fit in a stocking.

My eating has been pretty good all week, but I am making turkey tetrazzini for dinner tonight. My recipe calls for 1 cup of whipping cream. Not a diet meal for sure! Anyway, last night I had my homemade turkey noodle soup and I only had one bowl and one slice of pumpernickel bread and the scale showed a loss this morning! Must eat more clear soups!!!
  • Shelley - Thanks for starting the new thread.
    My eating has been terrible, there is just too much temptation out there this time of year.
    When we are stuck in the house all winter it is hard to not overeat out of boredom. TV-itis sets in. Doug had to get the snow off the roof today because it was getting very heavy.
    We had rain today! This weather is crazy. We had a BBQ tonight for supper. When Doug started the BBQ he could smell something. He took it apart and found the back stuffed with peanuts and seeds. The squirrels have been very busy since our last BBQ. Steak tasted wonderful.
  • Shelley your kids have fine taste just like their mother! They are very lucky that you are spending that much on them. We usually spend around $250 on each kid. Now we have the three of them but ended up spending over $300 on them because of the fabulous deals in Vegas.
    I forgot that you had another run in with the evil mother in law. Mine is evil but we don't see each other very often. Thank goodness.
    When I get upset I usually eat. From reading your food journal and by comments that you make I am sure that you are addicted to sugar. I am and I can see an addict.....lol
    Enjoy your time off from work. Only two more days of restless kids.
    Thanks for starting a new thread.

Allison I have never heard of turkey tetrazzini. No clue what it is but it does sound rich and yummy.
    Your kids too sound like they will have a nice Christmas.
    You asked where in Mexico that I am going.....I will be going back to our usual plave In Vallarta. It is a great deal and the location is right in the middle of all the entertainment and restaurants.

Janice did you have squirrel steak? They must have been diet portions! lol
    Larry had to shovel the snow off of our roof this weekend too. Usually it doesn't need to be done til Jan or Feb. We are having mild temps to but still below freezing.
    New work for the day TV-ITIS.....I like it.

Baba or Vivian got her call today to set up for treatments for her cancer. She will be starting Jan 3. They are going to give her a drug that will double her life expectancy. This drug had to be improved from the goverment. She is swollen from the back up of lymp fluid. She actually has stretch marks from it. It is causing her a lot of pain. She went up from a plus 1 to a plus 4.

I phoned the pain clinic yesterday to see what it going on. I went to see them in may and haven't heard back from them as to when they will do the injections. I figured by now I should have an appointment. Apparently I was suppose to have one June 17th but they forgot to call. Then my nurse went on maternity leave. For some reason I got lost in the files again.
    They will talk to the doctor tomorrow and let me know when I can come in. I am scared because I have had one shot in the spine this time it is six and they hurt. Not only while the procedure is being done but it took me a month to recover. They are hoping that this new medication in the injection will be better. It will start taking affect about a week after. I am hoping that it will give me enough time to recover before mexico.
  • Dee~good luck with your injections.

Janice~stay warm!!!

Turkey Tetrazzini (yum)

1/4 c butter
    1/4 c flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 c whipping cream
    1 c chicken broth
    2 c cut up turkey
    7 ounces spaghetti, broken in half and cooked according to package directions
    4 oz sliced mushrooms
    1/4 c parmesan cheese

Melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Add salt and pepper and cook until mixture is smooth. Whisk in whipping cream and chicken broth. Heat until bubbly and mixture thickens slightly. Add cooked spaghetti, turkey and mushrooms. Pour into casserole. Top with parmesan cheese and place in oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.
  • Ohh, Allison that sounds yummy. I think that I will try that but I will replace the whipped cream with evaporated milk. I know, I know it won't be the same but it cuts down the fat a bit.

Today I weighed in at ww's and I am up 1/2 a pound. I am pleased with that as our weight fluctuates a lot even in a day. After eatting all those cookies and about a pound of carmel corn I didn't do bad at all on the scale. I thought that I better weigh in so I can prepare myself for christmas. If I was up a couple of pounds I would have to be very careful. This week we ate fish twice for supper and I will have shrimp one day this weekend. I find that eatting fish keeps me in check. I am going to need it if I get started in the treats.
  • I'm actually made the recipe with fat free milk to cut down on fat and a few calories. It wasn't bad--just not quite as creamy. I always use fat free broth and one of these days I'll try it with 1/4 the butter and substitute in some Z-trim to see if it will work for the cream sauce. I always use whole wheat pasta.

The taco guy is here with the food for our holiday party at the office. Carne asada, carnitas and chicken, fresh grilled to make your own tacos. With rice, beans, chips and salsa. Yummy.
  • Allison lunch sounds yummy. Do you have many Mexican's working for you?

Today I went for my torturous massage. Man is she deap and does it hurt. It is suppose to break down the scare tissue.

Larry is still at work trying to tie up loose ends. He had stayed late every night. He is off til January 2nd. I know that he will be in work at least one of those days.

I don't think that I will be around much for the next week but I will try when I get a chance.

Merry Christmas everyone.
  • Dee - I hope the injections will give you some relief finally. You have such a positive outlook even when living with pain. You are an inspiration for many people.
    sounds like everyones going to have a good Christmas. Things have gotten so commercial people forget the real meaning of the season.
    I'm working this weekend but I think I'll go to the mall on my lunch just to watch the frantic shoppers. (Mostly men I bet)
  • Sounds really yummy. I am going to use the light whipping cream and see how it comes out. Will cut a ton of the fat out of it but still have the whipping cream. Will also replace the turkey with chicken. I get chicken breasts that are 1 gram of fat for 4 oz. Way lower fat content than turkey. Will have about 13 grams of fat with fat free broth, light whipping cream and chicken.
  • I have made a pact with myself that I will not eat anymore chocolate. I have had 3 days of nonstop sweets. Today we are headed to Sarasota for my nephew's engagement party. I'll be luck to fit into anything! First, I'm headed out for a run.

Dee-You are an inspiration to us all. Keep the faith. I know how much pain you have been in over the years. I can't believe you got lost in the medical shuffle. Mike still goes every month to his pain clinic for a checkup and refill on pain meds.

Janice-That was funny about the BBQ.

Allison-You are an inspiration with your staying OP.
  • It seems strange to say but I am looking forward to getting back on track with my eating. There is chocolate everywhere these days. I work in an old age home and families are constantly bringing in treats. I will be glad when all that temptation is gone.
    No not BBQ squirrel just nuts.
  • Janice bbq squirrel, ugh! Chocolates are over-rated. I really don't like them that much unless it is chocolate nuts, I would rather have carmel corn that is loaded with syrup. Now that is addicting.
    Thanks for the well wishes with the shots. The pain clinic phoned yesterday and wanted me to go for my shots on christmas eve......yikes. I said no because I didn't want to be immobile and in pain for the holidays. Memories of a sad christmas a couple of years ago are too fresh. I just hated being in the hospital for the month of december and in so much pain. Hopefully they will schedule me in enough time to recover before my trip.
    How was the mall? We are going to go shortly and people watch too.

Rennie let us know how your recipe turns out. I don't think we have lite whipping cream here.

Shelley NO MORE CHOCOLATES! It is a good thing that you are a runner or you would have a lot of extra padding on the behind. How was the engagement party? Did they have a dinner or appetizers? When is the big day?
    I guess that Gayle must be counting the weeks and soon days til Liz's wedding. I sure do miss her posts. It would be a nice christmas surprise for her to come back to us.
    What kind of meds in Mike on? I am sure that you told me but I forgot. I know that you must understand what Larry is going through with dealing with me and my chronic pain. I am sure that it isn't easy for either of you.

Allison are you busy today with the last minute preparations?
    Today Desiree came over and baked cookies with me. I spoiled the kids when they were little and we iced and decorated short bread cookies. I know that they are usually served plain but this way if they were decorated I could get the kids involved. Now that is their fav and they would like them every year. So that is what we did. Even Larry got involved with the decorating of the cookies. It was fun. It took us about 3 hours to do 4 dozen.
    After we were done Larry's younger brother (26 years) that is in the army popped by. We had a visit over lattes and cookies. He was picking up Dez so they could go out for dinner with Jay and Ash and them watch christmas movies together. I thought that was nice. They don't hang out usually. They are so close in age that I think that they will have fun. Dez calls him uncle Jeff. tonight he said that you can call me Jeff not Uncle Jeff. lol

Well I better get going.....I sent Larry out to pick up the groceries for christmas breakfast and christmas dinner. Hopefully they have everything. Then off to watch people.
  • I'm busy with my company and with my Mom. My sister called yesterday to let me know that Mom fell down the stairs and broke her leg (both bones in one lower leg). She didn't call for help for 2 hours (she managed to scoot herself back up the stairs using her good leg). My Dad is too hard of hearing--he probably had no idea there was a problem. The neighbors came by (firefighters) and wanted her to call 911. It was very snowy there and they couldn't figure out a way to safely get her in the car to go to the hospital. She called my sister in Texas (she lives in Utah) and my sister told her to call my sister-in-law. She did and SIL was only 2 minutes away. She's an RN. She came in and called 911 and they took her to the hospital where she remains. She wont' have to have surgery at this point--3 weeks in a wheel chair and another 6 weeks in some sort of a cast. If it doesn't heal well, she may have to have a knee replacement. The break is right under her knee. She didn't really fall far--she was going down the stairs backward (carrying boxes) and thought she was on the landing--she wasn't. She stepped back thinking it was level ground and of course fell. So it wasn't as if she fell down the entire flight--but she did have to make her way back up again. I talked to her last night and she was in good spirits--generally just upset with herself over the accident. Today she sounds worse--mainly due to her pain meds. She'll stay in the hospital until the 24th and then will be moved to a nursing home to learn how to maneuver in her full-leg splint. She'll be there over Christmas which means my Dad will be alone for Christmas. My brother, SIL and their kids were going to go to Idaho for Christmas, but now my brother is thinking of staying home to stay with my Dad. Gosh it's hard when parents get old.
  • Allison-Prayers to your mother. I know what you mean about dad's hearing. My mom fell down and her door was shut. She yelled and yelled, but dad didn't hear her. Luckily, she didn't break anything, but did have very sore ribs for awhile. Now, my dad hugged her too hard the other morning and she heard something snap. She's been in some pain since then.

Dee-The engagement party turned out to be the wedding!! They made the announcement after everyone got there. It was so wonderful. The house was on the gulf, so it was beautiful. Everyone, including the bride's parents were totally surprised. My brother found out right before the party because he and my SIL and all the kids (visiting from Ohio) were very sick. My nephew told him why they had to come. I found out from him about 10 minutes before the announcement. It was so touching. It's a shame that some people in the family were not able to make the party, and if they had known, I'm sure they would have gone. Anyway, it was all in all a wonderful day. I was so good. No sweets, wedding cake or anything like that. Mike is on demoral, and has been for many years. He is definitly addicted, but is still in so much pain. He drove yesterday, and by the time we got home, he was limping and had a migraine. I don't know what I am going to do with him. Plus the fact he still hasn't been hired by anyone.

I am heading out for some biking miles. I feel so much better this morning without all the bloat from sugar.