Back In Kindergarten #34

You're on Page 6 of 7
Go to
  • you all sound so great. keep at er
  • Happy New Year!

Big kissies from Mrs. C She's saying "See you next year!"

HTE- Welcome! I just want to say that I absolutely LOVE your avatar!

I'll go ahead and post the smoothie recipe here since it looks like everyone is interested. My naturopath gave this to me as a way to get my flax dose in; also it can be a dairy-free meal replacement should I choose to use it as such. The fat/protein/carb ratio are Zone-friendly. If you do not need to avoid dairy, as I do, then use skim milk if you want.

Vegan Fruit Smoothie

2 TB Rice protein powder ( 110 cals) I use Nutribiotic Vegan Vanilla
    1 TB ground flax seed ( 30 cals) I have found this in bulk at Winco, otherwise you can get it through Bob's Red Mill.
    1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk (90 cals)
    1/2 c.- 3/4 c. frozen blueberries (40 - 60 cals)

mix in a blender. If I use .75 c blueberries, I get about 2 cups of smoothie at 290 cals. If it's not sweet enough, you can add an inch or two of frozen banana, which would add about 50 or so more cals. This is sugar-free and no additives - bon appetit!

The protein powder and flax seed meal can be ordered online via Amazon grocery, albeit in large quantities. I don't see why you can't substitute a protein powder of your choice; I've seen soy protein in bulk at Winco that's very economical. You an also put skim milk in this if you don't care about the vegan part.

I think I am going to use this as a meal replacement for a little while to help me get my carb cravings under control. This shake is very good for that purpose. Otherwise, I tend to have a cup as an afternoon snack since that's when I crave carbs the most.

Mindee - Mindless Eating - there's a link for you..This was one of my favorite health and wellness reads last year.

Hey - if anyone else wants to read the book and work through the book's suggestions together - I'm in...just let me know. It has exercises like eating all your meals on a small plate, don't eat at the computer, yada yada - you get the idea.

I'll bbl later for more individuals..hope NYE was good to everyone. We stayed home and watched movies. We watched Romancing the Stone and Batman, which DH and I saw many times many years ago..so it was a fun little trip down memory lane. We drank sparkling wine and ate lots of chocolate - yum! Now it time to go back on the wagon

Cheers!
  • Katy--I have been wanting a good smoothie recipie so thanks!! There are two small health food shops in the area plus the one grocery chain has added a healthy/organic section in their stores. There is also a huge common market coop about 45 minutes from home. I havn't been there since they expanded but have been thinking about it.

HTR--feel free to join us!!!

Sassy--alot of people are sick at my workplace. I have antibacterial lotion from Bath & Body at my desk. I've noticed bottles popping up all over at copiers, fax machines and other places too.

Cristina--like I mentioned...I think he's comfortable and is needing to be forced out...I told Teri this was payback for me having to go almost two weeks over with her...

Mindee--she was having them last night...her little belly would get so tight but she says that's the only way she knows shes having them since they aren't really hurting her at all. SHe's having some again today. Dave goes back to work from 3:30 pm to 2AM on Wednesday and Thursday after being off since the Thursday before Christmas. He says watch her go into labor Wednesday night...

SuzyQ--hope you had a good night!!

Sue--Hi to you too...

We worked yesterday, but got invited to go to our friends house since they were staying home with the baby. Right before we left work, got a call from Teri (no she wasn't in labor) Dave was going to go to his Dad's work and was going to drop her off at his mom's until his dad got off work. She was really weepy and emotional after waking up from her nap and had Dave turn around and she ended up coming with us. We had enchilada and a big salad and lots of veggies. We all had fun with the baby and left around 11:00 to take Teri home since Dave was on his way back. Then Jerry and I stopped where Ry & Alicia were and finally made it home around 1:30ish. I am soooo tired today....that was way past my bedtime!! Teri is having some contractions today that she is beginning to actually feel and know what they are. She was going to take another nap and I haven't heard anything more so I guess he's not ready yet. Her friend Geneva is going to spend the night with her on Thursday night (Dave works to 2 AM) and then 8 AM Friday she goes to be induced. I guess we will see if she actually makes it until then.
  • Happy 2008!

Jules - no baby yet? Hugs to Teri , hope she is hanging in there.

HTE - welcome, come chat!

I will try the smoothie Katy, sounds yummy.

Just really doing a quickie again. Tomorrow is school and I have to get the girls ready to get back in the grind.

Ate late last night, feel icky about that. I had a icee today and a strawberry shake.....ugh, drank too much wine so was trying to calm my stomache.

I did see McDreamy last night. He is sweet and quite......he was talking about Gab and asked how her father would feel if he came to her weekend sports stuff. I guess I had mentioned wanting her to do baseball......anyway...... It is like he is talking about a future with me.....kind of confuses me. I think that is a while down the road before he would even meet her. Don't you think??

ugh, I better go. I have to get job searches done this week......ick.
  • Hey Susan- PPS doesn't go back until the 7th...tho' tomorrow would be a-ok with me, kwim? The kids have been snippy with each other all day due to a lack of sleep no doubt. I'm going to take them to Salem tomorrow. We'll visit my grandma, then off to the carousel and the children's museum. That should help. I'm with you, I think SO's shouldn't meet the kids until you are serious...kids get so attached and don't understand if things don't work out - they take it very personally. Of course, there never are guarantees, my mom was in a few serious relationships that didn't work out, but I was a teen then and while I didn't take it as a personal rejection. I'm sure you will do the right thing as you have good judgment. Except for drinking icees - jk

Jules - sounds like you had a nice NYE. I get a little misty every time I hear Auld Lang Syne, sigh. The older I get, the worse it is. Maybe Teri will be in for a pretty easy labor as she is taking those contractions in stride. Wouldn't that be nice? I hope she doesn't have to go on Pitocin- I hated that stuff. But you know, no matter how it happens, the result is Dominick - so it will all be fine.

OK - my mindless eating goals for January will be to 1) eat my meals on a small plate, 2) eat at the table, and 3) no reading at meal time. I'm going to get a piece of graph paper set up so I can check them off when I do them. I ordered the book yesterday, so I can re-read it and figure out a game plan for February....2008 is off and running chickies!
  • I am back.

hmm, yep Katy , no school. How come I am the last to know?? lol I was so happy at the thought the kids were going back. Having them home cost $$$, yikes.

It was an Icee float from Burger King. I was driving up Powell this morning and was feeling ill, thinking a diet 7-up would settle the stomache. Course once I saw the icee float, my stomache wanted that......and after that was Arby's for Rach and the strawberry shake looked good. Kind of like a strawberry slim fast, I thought. Course give or take a few 100 calories......I must say it was a small though. Didn't wanna be a piggy. lol

The kids did meet Michael and Rocky. I thought those were serious and leading to marriage. I think realistically it takes a lot of time to get to know someone before you can even say that. Obviously I wouldn't marry M now but I would Rocky.
    If McDreamy wants to hang out for 4 or 5 months he might meet Gab. I just think my kids need little info on my private life....lol. Course I think you really can't know if a realtionship is a go unless you see that person interact with your kids (???) I did meet his daughter last night as she breezed in with a box of gourmet cookies. Very pretty girl.

k- off to fo laundry! Yippeeeeee
  • Good Brrrrr Evening!!!
    Wow what a way to start the new year! Its cold (22 degrees F but with the wind feels like 8 degrees F) and windy and snowing, or at least it was when I came in at 5:30 PM or so. DH drove me in since its snowing and blowing outside.........

Well another long boring night ahead..............but I get paid well for it. It probably will pick up though around 3 AM EST, that is when Europe Business Hours begin. So maybe the last half of my shift will go by really really fast!!! lol. Hopefully tomorrow night will go by fast too. Then I can begin my weekend.

So far I haven't began the NY off that great, but I'll work on that. I'm not going to beat myself up anymore, just get up and try again. My Resolution for This year is to just be a Healthier and Happier Me, Outside AND Inside.

HTE --

Katy -- TY for sharing the recipes!! I can definitely tell I haven't been eating right, my Acid Relfux is acting up. So that is yet another reason why I need to be good from now on! lol.

Jules -- We have the antibacterial stuff all over here. Don't know how much good its doing, but at least its something. Sounds like you had fun -- mmmmm Enchiladas..... Sounds like it could be any time now. Wonder if she will make it until Friday...........time will tell I guess.

Suzy Q -- Glad things are going well with McDreamy. I can understand wanting to wait on having your kids meet him. I remember when I was a kid and my mom dated, I never liked any of the guys she dated except for one and then she didn't stay with him long!! lol. When I met my late step dad we hit it off right away and got along very well. His youngest daughter and my mother -- a totally different story. lol. So you just never know, hopefully all will go well when and if you want them too meet. I haven't been doing well at all, food wise....... We need to go to the store. DH actually has been craving Fresh Fruit so he wants to get some of that to snack on, I need more green stuff to flush me out from all the holiday damage. lol.

We watched Made, a tv show on MTV about people who want to be "Made" into something they want to be. This episode the girl was a star wars fan who wanted to be "made" into a Beauty Queen to gain self confidence. They got her a personal trainer and her "Made" Coach was a former beauty queen. But she did it. She had to walk around her HS in high heels, I was like Wow I could never do that without breaking my neck. lol. She lost some weight and gained self confidence. Pretty cool. She didn't win the pagent, but she did very well. But the coach had her do a Kick Boxing Class. I was like hmmmm.....I know it would probably take a lot for me to get up to speed in a class like that, but that may be what I need, exercise that I can "kick butt" too. lol. But I am too big of a chicken to join a class, DH said he would join with me, but I dunno. I guess if that girl could do it I could but I am a LOT larger than she is...........Do they have a Plus Size Kick Boxing Class? lol.

Anyways rambling now..........lol.

Hope you all are having a Great New Year so far!!

• HAPPY NEW YEAR, LADIES!

Glad everyone had a nice evening.

Nothing much going on...we stayed up a little past midnight for once. There were some fireworks off in the distance behind our house and we watched from the sliding door...really pretty. Then we went to bed and I was out like a light. Was going to do some reading but it didn't work.

Enjoyed dinner with Josh and his GF this evening...fixed his favs, chicken enchiladas and banana pudding. Not sure what I was thinking but I made enough for a stinking army. Wasn't sure if they were bringing the kids with them so there was a lot of food. Sent some with them and the rest V will take for leftovers to work the next couple of days. He's heading back to Hawaii tomorrow

KATY...thanks for the recipe...I definitely will try it. But I might sub the blue berries for bananas or strawberries. Not a big fan of the blueberry except in muffins.

SUSAN...I agree with Katy. When I dated I did let the kids know what was going on but didn't want them to meet anyone until or if I thought something would become of it. When Josh told me his gf had two kids I was a little thrown back by her letting him basically move in with her with her having two kids. Not that she had two kids...but the fact that they didn't really know each other well and her kids are 8 and 3...kids get attached easily. But supposedly they are going to get married. Yes, he proposed to her. But anyway... I do wish you and mcdreamy the best!

SASSY...I say, go for it! Everyone is a little slow when first joining an exercise class. Once you get the moves down you will be fine! It's cold here too! Brrrrr

JULES...well, that stubborn little boy is probably laughing at everyone and saying "You guys are gonna have to take me if you want me!" At least if he doesn't come soon Friday isn't that far away.

Hi everyone else

I did get in a workout before starting with the cooking thank goodness. I needed that. Anywho...trying to type and watch The Biggest Loser. I am amazed at the loses, wow! I would love to lose 14 pounds in one week! This is my new favorite show.

Have a good evening ladies! Hugs!
  • I swear, this is the longest day. Nothing to do but eat. I have had several bowls of lima bean soup.

Sassy - Fruit sounds good! I have some oranges, might suck on one of those. Doesn't that sound attractive?? I did eat 2 oranges and a glass of ice water the other night, it was so good. You would probably enjoy kickboxing!!! Rach did, and it helped her lose 30 pounds, all different shapes/size people......*sigh, I am one to talk. I won't go to the gym for fear of looking stupid. I didn't talk to my step dad for a year, hoping he would go away. lol He is the sweetest man, he bought all us girls jewelry, on his own and even wrapped it in the little boxes.

Katy - I like the eating on a small plate. I do that sometimes and it does help.

Hi to Jules, Mindee, Cristina, Sue, and Michelle!

Almost done with the laundry. Hoping I can get some decent sleep tonight. Saw Sweeny Todd last night. I didn't like it. I really don't like Johnny Depp in any of his movies, thinking that is the main reason. I can see where it is considered a good movie, just not my cup of tea. I think we agreed we would go see Morgan Freemans movie that is coming out.....with Jack whats-his-name. I love Jack.
    After that we went to a pub and had some glasses of wine and we each had a gyro (sp).....it was delish, never had one before. We were actually in the car when it struck midnight.

k- have I rambled enough about non diet stuff??? haha
  • Cristina - typing at the same time. Great minds think alike, huh? lol

Ya, I agree. I let Gab's father barge right in and the girls resented it. We weren't living together and he didn't spend the night unless the girls were gone. But it was too much too soon. Course after I became pregnant we moved in together. Which was a nightmare.The R's know I went on a date and they are full of advice *eyes roll* and they like that he has a cute son - all the important things, you know..lol..... Gab doesn't need to know anything unless something becomes of it.....

Congrats to Josh and GF! wow,,,,,was it a fast courtship? How long have they known each other. Nosy , huh??

k- off to finish laundry,
  • Hiya Susan

I'm not a fan of Johnny Depp either for some reason. I too want to see The Bucket List with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson...it looks good. Maybe me and V will have a date night soon and go see it. Glad you and mcdreamy had a nice evening. I've never had a gyro either...but have heard they are good.

Well, I think I am outta here for now. Not sure if I am getting up early to run to the airport or not. I know Josh could careless if I am there and his GF will be crying and they want "their" time alone, together so. Have errands to run too and V is headed back to work. It's weird too I keep expecting Jason to come home from work and he's gone for the week. Anyway....nighty night ladies!

Edited: yeppers Susan...very fast courtship if you will. Ummm, they knew each other a weekend and when he was here at Thanksgiving he spent almost everyday there. EGADS! So they have known each other about 5 weeks, yes, I said 5 weeks, ugh! They have all these plans, just hope it all works out with then going so fast. They are going to wait a year to get married but still.
  • Funny, a cute son huh? Lol...girls!
  • Hello Ladies.......
    Hi Girls.

Well a quiet night it has not been........but makes the time pass more quickly. I am just ready for this week to be over with. 5 more hours on this shift then 13 more tonight and its over.........hopefully tonight will pass quickly.

Just wanna be home all snuggled up in this type of weather......of course they say that on Sunday it may get up to 50. Ridiculous. lol.

Cristina -- Congrats to Josh and his GF that is a fast courtship! I thought DH & mine was fast at 6 Months, but wow. I hope everything works out for them. We also waited a year to be married, it takes that long to get everything planned for the wedding! lol. I am not sure about the kick-boxing class yet. I may check out a few and see what is out there but not sure. lol. If anything I will just do Billy Blaine's work-out, that is the same concept, isn't it? We get his free on-demand so may as well take advantage.

Suzy Q -- As you can see above from what I wrote to Cristina, I am not sure about joining a class yet. But we'll see. I know it would be good for me, not only for the exercise, but also for the social aspect because working the shift I work, I don't get a lot of social interaction. At least in person. lol. Get lots on the phone and internet. lol. My step dad was the best person I ever knew. He was just so kind and was just so wonderful to my mom and me. Its sad he is no longer with us. And you don't like Johnny Depp? lol. I know he isn't for everybody. lol. I like him though. hee hee. I really liked him in Benny and June, its an older movie. I love Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicolson. I want to see that movie too.

Well guess that is about it from my end, for now.........

• hello ladies....for some reason I didn't get a notice for the thread. I will have to check that out.

Me and Tommy saw an infomercial for the Turbo Jam program. If all goes well, then I will be getting that next month! I am so excited!!! I have some work out dvd's but I need something that will keep me interested in doing it and have upbeat music other wise I get bored easily with it!

sorry for this being really quick but I am still trying to get through my email.......but I am going to be going to bed here shortly.
  • Susan - Have you ever seen Chocolat? It may change your mind about Johnny Depp. I may see if the library has that, I'm kind of wanting to see it again. I have seen the musical Sweeney Todd on stage, and it is brilliant...and very bloody. I can only imagine how many buckets of blood there are in the movie, so I'm going to wait to see it until DVD. I mean really, we are going out for a movie tomorrow with dinner after...and I want to feel like eating, lol! I don't like JD in everything, but I enjoyed the Pirates movies. and Edward Scissorhands.

Cristina - wow that was fast - congrats on Josh's engagement. I had a year-long engagement as well, after 3 years of dating. I guess you could say I was not in a hurry

Sassy - I've done the Tae-bo tapes at home before - they're pretty good. they can be challenging, but I thought it was easy to modify to the shape I was in. Kicks are great for the ol' abs, I have to say. I'm not one to talk about any exercise today however. I slept in and missed the water aerobics class, and I haven't been consistent about exercise at all over the break. I hope to get a walk in when we get back from Salem.

Hi Jules, Sue, Michelle, Mindee and anyone else reading this.

Tomorrow is date night! We have a gift card to PF Changs, so I will get my msg fix, lol. I think we are either going to see Walk Hard or Charlie Wilson's War. We might see Atonement, but the show time doesn't work well with dinner. DH and I read the book and it was excellent, so we have to see the movie at some point.

Have a great day everyone!