Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #151  

Height: 5'2''

I didn't work out today so I feel a little guilty... but I guess it's ok to take a day off. I just feel like once I take a day off I end up taking 5 days off and then just not going. But tomorrow there is a kickboxing class at my gym so its my goal to go there. This class is so hard!! It's a male teacher and he has no mercy. If you slack on an exercise he makes you do it again.

On a good note I went grocery shopping today and bought all healthy things- fruit, veggies, oatmeal. Even though my roommate bought icecream and coffee cake I resisted. Hooray! However, I'm craving something sweet even though I just ate dinner an hour ago. I must control myself because I know I'm not actually hungry.

Sarah congrats on the job and Dawn good job with the weigth loss! I'd love to lose 5 pounds so quickly

I made it .2 lbs below my mini goal today
I've made it here once before but then I gained a lot back because I started eating badly. I thought i deserved to cheat. But I know eating badly shouldn't be a reward, it's bad for me. I deserve to be healthy and happy with my body.

Good Luck everyone!

Dee
Old 01-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 238.8/230/120

Height: 5'4"

Dee, I went to the grocery store and bought all healthy foods the other day too, yesterday I was complaining that there wasn't anything to eat in the house. I think I may have went a little to healthy. Huge congrats on exceeding your mini goal.

I didn't have such a good day yesterday. Started off really good and by about 4pm it started to go down hill. I was at my brother's house and he had just made pizza, asked if I wanted a slice and after a very brief hesitation I agreed. I figured since I blew the day I might as well have another. Boy did I feel guilt (still do actually) Ended up having a grapefruit for supper since I wasn't really hungry, but wouldn't you know by 10pm guess who is starving and not wanting to eat carrot sticks. I ended up having a ham sandwich with no veggies and on white bread too. Not the best thing to do straight before bed. Add that to no treadmill time and the day was pretty much shot.

Here is hoping to a better day.

Last edited by newstart33; 01-09-2008 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #153  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

new
Healthy does not mean " nothing in the house to eat " lol. I have vanilla wafers in the house, fat free pudding and low fat ice cream. Weight watchers makes some great snacks like little cakes and slim cow has ice cream sandwiches that are really good. All of these snacks are low in fat and pretty low in carbs. You can have 9 of the vanilla wafers and still be pretty low in the fat in carb categories. You just need to make some choices of what you want to have and have a few things in the house you like but aren't going to kill you in the " eating way over the limits" categories. You also need to get out of the " i blew the day" thinking. Just because you have something that doesn't really fit into what you allow yourself for the day doesn't mean just chuck the day. It is hard to find what works but it will happen. You just have to keep tweaking what you are doing.

tigger
Maybe trying making your meals smaller. Split what you have planned for one meal into two meals. Will give you more to eat thu out the day and you won't feel hungry. I was having problems with my knees. I was told the body should have a day off. It needs to rest. Don't feel guilt. Make sure you give your body the time it needs. I sure do understand when you don't exercise it is hard to get going again. I really have to make myself exercise on Mondays after not exercising on Sundays. I have a snack everyday, most of them are low fat and pretty low carb like a Weight watchers fudge bar. I am doing this for life. I want to enjoy each and everyday. Nothing wrong with making sure you have what you want. Just have to remember if I have something I want today, I have to wait until tomorrow to have something else I want.

Sarah
Congrats on the job.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #154  
Dawn

S/C/G: 240/195/160

Height: 5'9"

Hi Everyone! I am wondering how you all decided on your goal weight? I find that for me having a specific goal is very motivating, but yet I'm not sure how to set it.

I had said 150, because that was about where my BMI seemed normal, but I'm very tall and have always had very dense muscle mass, so my mom thinks I'm crazy and that 150 is way too low for me...

How did you guys make this decision?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #155  

Ready, I mentioned a little while back as we were just talking about this, that I have more of a goal size in mind since I have been overweight much of my adult life. I have no idea what weight will be my goal, but would like to be size 8-10-12, wherever I feel the most comfortable. You are absolutely right and that everyone carries weight differently. I am the same size as my sis inlaw and weigh 30lbs more than she does and she is 2" taller than I am. I still have a goal of 120, but I will revise it as I go. I say pick a number you are comfortable with now and if it needs to be changed later than that's okay.

Shy, thanks for the encouragement. As for the snacks, I am trying to limit my sugar intake at the moment as it is a huge weakness of mine. I am trying to curb that craving with fruit. When I feel like I have that part in control I will allow more low fat snacks. As for now I fear that I would purge if it were available to me. Thanks for the advice on some good snacks.

Does anyone pee almost non stop. I have only had 5-8oz glasses of water so far today and I go to the bathroom every 20 mins or so. The roll of toilet paper is sure getting low in a hurry. Am I just losing some water weight?

Keep up the good work ladies.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #156  

Hey everyone!

Thanks for the advice! Shy, I have a small stomach so I generally tend to eat many smaller meals about every three hours. Only I heard on Oprah the other day that eating that often can increase insulin resistance. Does anyone know anything about that? Oh, but on the plus side I learned that eating cinnamin (1 teaspoon a day) decreases insulin resistance and I already loved cinnamin so I've been adding like 3 teaspoons to my oatmeal in the morning.

So last night I made it to the gym for the kickboxing class and there was a new teacher. Instead of being a really really tough class for 25 minutes it was a really tough class for an hour!! For the first half hour we did punching/kicking with jumping jacks to keep our heart rate elevated and then we did her 15 minute challenge, which involved jump-roping for 5 minutes, then 20 pushups, jum-proping 1 minute, 18 pushups, jump-roping 1 minute, 16 pushups... etc. It ended with an ab workout for teh last 15 minutes and my back is sore because we did it on the hard ground (next time I'm going to ask if we can use yoga mats.) I was pretty worn out by the end of the class, but I felt so healthy that later when I was hungry I snacked on sugar snap pea pods And I actually really liked them. Tonight I'm either going to ab attack and yoga or bootcamp, which is a new class and I'm not sure what it entails but maybe I'll like it :-p

Newstart, I don't remembering peeing that much but you are probably fine. I don't want to worry you because I don't know your situation but my cousin who was peeing that often found out he had diabetes, but generally diabetes is accompanied by excessive thirst, and since you just started dieting and this is a new symptom I would assume the peeing is related to that change and not diabetes.

Best wishes to all,
Dee
Old 01-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #157  

hi ladies. i won't be online much for a few days cuz i'm going to be out of town visiting my boyfriend, but i'll check in at least once over the weekend.

i'm starting to remember why in the past i never tried to quit smoking and lose weight at the same time. it's pretty much impossible. i just don't have enough self control to succeed at both. my problem is that it's really important to me to not start smoking again because i promised my son. but i don't want to give up on my healthy eating either. i've been eating nonstop the last 3 days from anxiety, since i'm not smoking. grrr. i'm doomed. i'm either going to get cancer or emphysema from smoking... or i'm going to have a heart attack from high cholesterol and blood pressure. i'm just really tired and stressed right now.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 PM   #158  
Rennie

tigger
I really don't know. You should ask your doc about that. All I do know is that the professionals, my family doc, my tummy doc, the dietitian/nutritionist and most people I have talked to that have lost weight and kept it off. Told me that is what I should be doing. Sounds like you had a great workout. It would have killed me lol.

New
I love apples and bananas and cantaloupe and all kinds of fruits as snacks. Yes, they do have quite a few carbs in them but those carbs are good for us. Be very careful about using fruits in place of sugar. Sometimes you can have more sugar and carbs in fruit than you can have in another kind of snack.

Finaly
Before all the meds started putting weight on me I weighted 120. I weighted 120 when I got preggy with both of my children and weighted 120 when I came home from the hospital after having them. But then, I only gained 11lbs with my son and 8 with my daughter lol. It was just always a good weight for me that I didn't have to do anything to maintain it. My mbi is good at that weight too. Will that be my goal weight when I am there? Who knows, might be happy with a bit more or a bit less. It was just somewhere to start.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #159  

Hey everyone!

Country girl- have fun visiting your boyfriend and good luck with quiting smoking. I know how hard it can be from watching my father try to quit several years ago. Its important to keep promises to children, but I understand how it's hard to have two goals that seem to conflict. I read that it takes 30 days to break a habit, so maybe you should just focus only quitting smoking for the next 27 days doing the best you can with eating. I know you can do it!

Well today I went to another gym class and ate well so I'm happy

Happy friday all!

Dee
Old 01-11-2008, 09:50 AM   #160  

Countrygirl, I can imagine the stress of trying to both and feeling like something has to give. No one is perfect and if you are feeling like you can't do both then don't. Doesn't mean that you should quit one or the other entirely, but back off a bit. I suggest that you stick to quitting smoking for your son's sake, but eat healthy when you can. It is all baby steps and when you accomplish quitting smoking you will probably feel rejuvenated and will have more will power and motivation to tackle the weight loss. On a side note, my husband quit smoking about 5 years ago using zyban. It is an antidepressant med that as a side note helped with addictive behaviors. It worked for him in 7 days no kidding. No cravings, no grumpiness and has never looked back. You start out by taking the pill and continuing to smoke, he said by the 4th day cigarettes tasted so bad that he couldn't even finish them. By day 7 he couldn't even put it to his lips and just quit. The prescription is for 4 weeks and you can continue taking them if you quit earlier than that as it will help you to kick the habit and stay away from it. In Canada it needs to be prescribed by a doctor, so maybe you can make an appointment and mention it to a doc. Just a thought. Keep your chin up, whichever one you decide to do you will feel better and it will make it easier to tackle the other. We are here for support.

Okay that was longer than I intended it to be. As for me, I am skipping weigh in today and doing it on monday with my Mom. I think I have become obsessed with that thing and need to lay off.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #161  
Rennie

new
That is the same medicine that the doc is telling me about. She said it really works. For me I want to get the weight off first. For others stopping smoking is a good idea first. Either way we all know we need to do both. I told my daughter when I got down to 120 I would quit smoking. I keep my promises. I will quit. It is funny. I didn't smoke the whole time I was expecting my daughter nor did I smoke when I nursed her lol
Old 01-11-2008, 01:42 PM   #162  

newstart- I understand your obsession with the scale. I weigh myself everyday. I genereally find it motivating and it keeps me in line so that when I start to see I gradually increase (ignoring normal fluctuations) I know that I need to make a change. All the times I have gained weight in the past have been times that I stopped weighing myself daily. And then after two months I would go to weigh myself and be shocked with what I saw. However, it can be tough days when I worked out the day before and ate healthy but still didn't have a loss or worse had a gain, but I know that generally that is do to normal fluctuation in weight. But you should weigh yourself however often you feel comfortable with it.

Dee
Old 01-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #163  
Rennie

Weighing oneself is different for everyone. There is no right or wrong that I can see. I weigh myself at the docs office every two weeks. Check the weight at home when I get home to make sure my scale is on. That is enough for me. I only have a scale at home at all for the biggest looser challenge and encase the weather is to bad out to get to the docs office on weigh in day. If I find I want to step on that scale more often than when I do my weigh in at the docs office, once the biggest looser challenge at this site is over I will toss the scale in the trash.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 AM   #164  
sarah250

S/C/G: 250/246/170

Height: 5'6

FinallyReady
Dawn
thank you

newstart33
thank you and good for you with trying to get a job on the side
we all need to get out of our houses sometime
just interacting with people is good for you

so I start my training on monday