Short Chicks

You're on Page 2 of 11
Go to
  • Hi There--- another short one here! I've always been just barely 5' and I know what it is like finding clothes.. A nightmare! My young sister ended up buying her Wedding Dress in a Childrens store and they asked her if she was going to her Jr. High Prom!! It is funny now and we laugh about it but years ago it wasn't funny!!
  • Hi glynne and Karen31!

Karen31--I don't know how long "years ago" was but here's hoping when I get married--I haven't lost hope--I won't have as much difficulty finding a dress.

glynne--I normally wear cropped pants as regular pants. Everyone I tell that get a kick out of it. Sometimes I find it funny and sometimes I don't because when I really need them I can't find them. I guess I need to plan more appropriately for shopping. The plus petite capris are the correct length for me at 4'11". I find that extremely important because I've tried on other petite capris or even petite pants they are still way too long.
  • I never thought of myself as short. I am just small. Not so very long ago my weight went with my height. I find most petites are to short for me and show my socks. Very hard when you have long legs but aren't very tall. On the other hand Capri's are always to long. Have to find pants just just below the knee and they are great Capri's on me.

Mermom
    I think I just read somewhere average American woman is 5 foot 4 1/2 inches and 185. Short I think is how you look at it. Not that many women are 5 foot 8 inches lol. Heck my hubby is a foot taller than I am, he says he loves it. Makes him feel so tall lol.
  • it's funny- I remember hearing years ago that the average American woman was 5'4. I guess average women aren't getting any taller.

To me 5'4 seems tall. If I were 5'4 I wouldn't have as many pounds to lose

Last summer I was shopping with a friend and we saw these shoes that had a nine inch heal. I tried them on as a joke. My friend said, "You don't need to lose weight, you just need to buy those shoes." LOL
  • Shy Moment--It is really hard for me to think of myself as small with this amount of weight on me. But if I really think about it I am. My hands are ridicuously small. Everyone laughs at that.

Mermom--Everyone seems tall to me. My BF is 5'9" which I guess is supposed to be short for a man but goodness he just seems so tall to me.

Basically the average woman is overweight or obese depending on your source.
  • Ooh, I love this thread! At 5'4" I feel "tall"! I so relate to what everyone says. I am so short-waisted, that nothing fits. I spent the weekend shortening the sleeves on every blazer/suit I bought at second-hand stores the past two weeks. Last weekend I hemmed pants. It helps, but the crotch still hangs ridiculously low on a couple pairs.
    I love stores where petite selections abound, unfortunately, those stores are mostly out-of-town and fairly expensive. And - right now - I'm still planning on hitting my goal weight, so I don't want to buy many "new" things.

Mermom - I relate! DH is 5'7". He is tall to me!!!! Our sons are 5'11" and 6'4" though, so obviously there are some tall genes in our family trees!
  • Good morning, everybody! I must be the only one up. I've done my floor exercises and now I'm getting ready for work. Hate to go - we've been out since mid-afternoon last Wednesday. The kids will be awful!

Thanks for the Kohl's tip. Their regular prices are high, but the sales are great. I should go more often. I'd like to own a not-too-dressy dress, but everything I look at is either the wrap style or has tucks and pleats which makes me feel like a kid. Maybe the basic problem is I'm a jeans and T girl and don't really want to dress up.

How did ya'll do with the Thanksgiving feast? I had serious pie issues. Pie is, after all, nature's most perfect food.

Have a great day, all!
  • I actually had trouble getting to work today. I was in such denial. Luckily I make my own schedule and I do have comp time I can use.

Gonzo Walker--I don't understand the concept of a wrap dress. It is supposed to make everyone look good. I don't think so when you have a big fat belly standing out there for the world to see. Thanksgiving...lets not talk about it. I'm in denial about that too.
  • speaking of denial
    That's what got me in this weight mess to begin with. How is it that we buy bigger and bigger clothes and don't realize we are getting really fat?

Also, I wonder if tall chicks look at our tickers and are able to to visualize just what an extra 40 pounds looks like on a short chick.
  • I did really well for Thanksgiving. But I think it helps being a vegetarian. No one expects you to put together a traditional feast. Thus, I made mostly veggie dishes with carrot and spinach lasagna rolls being the most calorie-dense item.

I don't look good in wrap dresses at this weight. Goal weight - definitely. Now they are just awful. I am having a terrible time with the low-cut tops and dresses that are in abundance right now. I have to put a lacy tee under everything, just so I can wear it. When you are short, the neckline plunges even lower than on taller women.
  • Mermom--I haven't bought clothes except for specific occasions in a long time. So I continue to wear what fits me over, over, and over again.

CountingDown--Well my problem goes beyond the shirts just hanging lower its the "sisters" fitting in a shirt and it not looking like a tent or inappropriate.

Sometimes bec of being short I feel like I need to get to an "impossible" weight to be considered "healthy". I may give up at 150. We will see how I feel when I get there.
  • Quote: I may give up at 150. We will see how I feel when I get there.
    I have had that same though cross my mind...LOL..But I don't know. I was 150 as a cheerleader and I was a biggest girl on the squad. I just looked chubby. I really would like to reach 140, but I just don't know if I can do it.
  • My problem with the wrap dresses is that A-I am very short waisted and B-have no equipment up top, so everything just sort of bunches up under my breast bone and shows way more...nothing...than anyone needs to see. I bought a "push up" bra so now I'm up to kind of an A-and-a-1/2 cup made up of loose skin from losing weight.

Ladies, don't give up on losing the weight if that's what you really want. For me, regular exercise is key. As long as I take my long, brisk walk each day, my diet and my weight pretty well take care of themselves. Except for the pumpkin pie.......I took care of the pie.......guess I better put on my sneaks and hit the road! Anyway, when I don't walk, my eating tends to be awful, and I cannot keep my weight down. Losing weight and keeping it off really are ongoing battles. I can't imagine what it must be like NOT to think about what I had to eat and what I'm going to eat, and feeling like a self-absorbed weakling pretty much constantly. OH, to be a man!
  • SockMonkey70 & Gonzo Walker--I've been 150 before and I knew I still needed to lose weight. I've been 130 before, granted that was in high school, and I still looked chubby. I will continue on to my goal of 120, maybe lower, but I know I will have starts and stops along the way. Its just such a long journey sometimes you're just like I don't know...but I am pretty important so I should take care of myself.
  • Hiya! I'm a fellow vertically challanged chick! I'm getting in maintenance mode but those last few pounds are just hanging on to dear life..so I keep plugging away..

I think perhaps I am in maintenance and refuse to admit it. *shrug*

Here's to commiserating with you guys.