Old 11-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #31  
masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 165/165/130

Height: 5 ft. 7 inches

Whew Red! You wear me out on your posts! LOL!!! Girl you have got some mighty strict guidelines! That is great though. When I first made my new year's resolution last year, I use to have a spreadsheet and I put everything into fitday.com to calculate my calories taken in, and calories expended. Then I balanced it all out to self-calculate the deficit and had everything divided by 3500 ( the amount of calories in a pound of body fat) so the spreadsheet would actually track scientifically how much I was losing despite what muscle gain, water weight or scale weirdness was going on.... Hey, you know what? I think I am going to dust off my spreadsheet and get off this last 15 pounds that way! Thanks for the inspiration, Red!

Shy- the dot totally bites the big one...for whatever reason, I can pick up 6-10 pounds of water weight!!! YUCKOLA... During that time I feel like my bra should be endorsed by "Goodyear" and my skin actually hurts! Thank you for the encouragement. I am not even stepping on the scale again until next Thursday. I will just keep plugging on until my little plan and judge myself by my favorite blue jeans Keep going with your goals. You are so close to the 150's and you will be shocked and amazed at how many people seem to notice the change once you hit 150. I went from 176 to 150 and no one said a thing until the day my scale registered 155..then poof! It was like I had mysteriously shrunk overnight in the eyes of my friends...weirdos! LOL!!!

DJ- I used to DREAD getting up at 6:00 and it is a daily struggle but with my crazy job, evening meetings and social obligations, it is the only time I can guarantee that I will work on my self. Of course I have a weird added side benefit. As a result of the fact that it is just too big of a system shock to jump up and exercise at the crack of dawn, I ease into it by making my bed, running a load of laundry, cleaning my kitchen, brewing coffee and tidying up...THEN I go work out and so now, I am looking better and thankfully, so is my house!!!! Also, my dh leaves the house at 5:45 to catch the train to Dallas in the morning so his rumbling around wakes me up just enough to be able to bound up at 6:00!

So, I am proud of myself today for making the best of a dangerous diet land mine situation last night. A new sports bar opened in our neighborhood and my DH really wanted to go catch the Cowboy game there last night, so we did. I picked up the menu to see what I could modify and let's just say that it was like the menu selection at the State Fair... FRIED EVERYTHING. I swear, I was honestly afraid to order a salad for fear that the lettuce would be battered and fried! LOL!!! I dug through the sludge and found a grilled chick sandwich...I know, I was astonished too. It came with fries but I skooched them off onto my husband's plate...although I did allow myself to have 4 if I promised myself I would only eat half the sandwich..which I did. So -I may not have been perfectly halo-deservingly angelic, but I practiced an intense amount of willpower there and for that, I am patting myself on the back.

I didn't work out today because honestly, I am just too sore, BUT I will make up for it with an hour of turbo jam tomorrow ( I know, I am a sucker for Beachbody products).. also, I looked in the mirror today and ... I think I see the formation of a 2-pack in my abs. Hopefully with regular diet and exercise I can eventually work up to the full 6.

Best of luck to everyone today and remember NOTHING tastes as good as being healthy, energetic, fit, muscular and downright sexy feels!!!!
aimin4thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:21 PM   #32  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Cool starting Day 6....

Morning all. Another 4:30 a.m. rise to go to see the horse. Someone asked me what time I got up and when I said 4:30 there was a look of disbelief and someone else said, "4:30 doesn't exist." No, really, I would love to sleep in, but I've found that just doing it, getting out to the stable, riding...it's just something to push through. I'm learning to do that with other bad habits, overeating, bingeing, overdrinking, all in response to stress and overwork, lack of sleep. I mean, doing that will NOT make it better. I am slowly, slowly getting a handle on it. It has taken me decades, literally.

Well, I've got five days under my belt. Let's hope I can continue. I must. I must. I must. No, I WANT TO! My biggest enemies are pms and the scale and a feeling that everything is happening far too slowly AND (perhaps the worse) that it doesn't really matter if I'm thin and lean, that I'll still look ugly and be weird.....where do these thoughts come from?!?!?!? Wow, you should have heard me 2-3 weeks ago. I was beating myself up something serious, in tears every day. It didn't feel like your normal pms and I don't think it was. I think it was the catalyst to actually doing something about the fat I've been denying is hanging on me. Maybe it was the pain of waking up after years of denial.

BUT, I'm still in my comfort range, that area I've been yo-yoing within for years, a few kilograms here, a few kilograms there. I'm afraid that when I hit virgin ground, i.e. a weight I haven't been in since I was a teenager or before I did weight training, that I will freak and run for the familiar cover of my fat again. You know what they say, what you know is always less scary than what you don't know. Sigh. Well, let's just keep trying, kiddo. You can do it!!!!

dj -- Congrats on a successful liftoff! You're up and away...oh, beautiful, oh beautiful....up, up and away!! Oh, boy, morning caffeine...sorry guys. You're right, dj, I go through periods of extreme healthful eating. And over the years, the healthful has become more a part of me than the nonhealthful. I mean, I don't even consider a lot of things food that other people stuff in their mouths on a regular basis. That doesn't mean I won't stuff it in on occasion, but I just would consider it like booze, thus the calorie overload. I always try to get the good stuff in as well. But, no, without health there is nothing, really. I think as you get older you start to realize that more and more. The reserves you had as a youth just aren't there. You have to take better care of yourself. You sound like you do very well on exercise. The healthy eating part is your last battle and you'll make it. You're already most of the way there, from the sounds of it.

aimini -- "Masterpiece in progress!" I love it! Great attitude! Wow, you sound as obsessed as I am! And looking at your stats, I can see why. You are already lean! Cut abs?!?! If I could see my abs I'd be on Cloud 9. But, it's all relative. Your battles. The battles of those who have over 200 lbs. to lose. It's all day by day and comes off bit by bit. It's all about consistency, isn't it? Perhaps the hardest concept to get down, because it's not only about eating and exercise, it's about everything in life. Sigh.
Well, my posts can be long, but you wrote a duzy. Love it. Specially love the fear of deep-fried lettuce! Oh, yeah, I know what you mean. You go into a place and it's like, what are they trying to do?!?!?! Speaking of people not noticing your weight loss...I think this is something that bothers me. On one hand, I don't want people to notice. I want to be great looking and never have them say anything to remind me how fat I was. But, on the other hand, I want them to say something about me looking better or something! When they don't, and they don't, I start thinking it's no use, that whether I'm fat or skinny, no one cares or even notices. That nothing can help me!!! I've found that the best place for comments is the gym with my bodybuilding buddies. They are so tuned in to weight that they notice it immediately and don't hesitate to comment, either way, up or down. The other guys are the racehorse trainers. They notice right away too. However, I haven't gotten any comments from either yet. The other day, though, at a little hangout by the track, one guy did say something and it was so nice. I never take it seriously though because I think my face is always thin, but there again, perhaps that's just more denial. Mirror, mirror, on the wall, don't I always just look fantastic???!! Oh, yes!! Cough. Cough. Aimin, hang in there. You're doing great. Wow, up to 10 lbs during pms. Awful! By the way, what are Beachbody products?

Last edited by redballoon; 12-01-2007 at 12:34 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #33  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

red
You are doing great. One day at a time is all any of us can do. Glad you are in your comfort range. Mine won't hit for another 20lbs lol.

aimin
Fried salad lolol. It can be hard. Oh my gosh I love fried foods. Sounds like you had a good time and did great. Congrats

I had a Mc Donald's egg nog shake today. Oh it was so yummmy. I just worked around it for everything else I ate for the rest of the day. Worked out good and I still have 150 calories and 4 grams of fat and 76 carbs left for the day. Am sure I will get them in tonight sometimes lol.

Day 12
1. Wrote everything in my journal
2. Had a snack today
3. All required amounts of the four basic food groups
4. Did my exercises today
5. Sodium is good

Last edited by Shy Moment; 11-30-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:08 AM   #34  
Never give up

Smile Day 6 is behind me!

Day 1 was Monday, Nov. 26
Today was Saturday, Dec. 1

1) Did I record everything I put in my mouth?
Yes.

2) Did I steer clear of processed foods, sugar and alcohol?
Yes.

3) Did I allow myself only morning coffee and one tea in the afternoon?
Yes. Had tea out in the afternoon.

4) Did I eat healthy foods, whole grains, fruit, vegetables, brown rice and get adequate protein?
Yes. Brown rice and curry today.

5) Did I get in exercise of some kind, either riding, the gym or "intentional walking?"
Yes. Rode.

6) Did I weigh myself in the morning?
Yes. It was 70.8 kg.

7) Did I give myself numerous pats on the back and words of praise at my efforts?
It's hard remembering to do this, but I did, when I started getting down on myself...

8) Did I keep largely to a 6-meal pattern of about 400-100-400-100-400-100 calories spaced out evenly over the day?
Yes. It was actually less, again, because I was busy, but I have been bringing stuff to eat when I go riding. Before, I'd either not eat at all or I'd eat too much high-calorie stuff walking to and from the station. Now, because I bring things, it's more in line with my 400-100-400-100 plan. Atta girl!
8 out of 8???
YES!!

Day 6 is complete. Yes!!!!

Well, happy December everyone!

Shy -- Thanks! Actually, what I meant by my "comfort zone" was not that it was a good place to be, it's just that I've been there so long that my body and my psyche, my idea of ME, are all used to this weight and thus "comfortable." I have a real concern that I will fight a new slimmer me, that I have become so stuck in the old ways and the old image that that has become my idea of me and I may rebel at accepting a new image. Hmmmm....well, good going on your challenges! Yup, one day at a time!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #35  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Day 2 is done of an "extra" workout and drinking water before all meals. Rode my bike for 15 minutes after dinner last night for my "extra" exercise. The water is probably the tougher one right now. A couple of times I started to eat a meal and had to run back to my kitchen for a glass of water at the last minute.

Gotta run. Weekend chores are calling already!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:17 AM   #36  
Rennie

dj
Way to go on the water. As I have said before and will say again lolol water is to shower with lol.

Red
I do understand that comfort zone ( since I now know what you mean lol ). I gained this darn weight in two stages. First major illness about 40lbs, second major illness just a month or so later another 40lbs lol ) The illness just never stopped after that. I am now just about at the after the first illness weight again. Little scary for me. I can remember when I got here thinking, well if there is nothing I can do about it there is nothing I can do about it. I can be happy at this weight.

I don't feel this way now of course but part of me I think is afraid to get thinner and then gain the weight back. Have no idea where this has come from. I have never thought this way before. Might be all these darn people saying " Well you know you will gain it all back, everyone does." I am going to slap myself and get this out of my mind. A. I am not everyone else. I am not dieting, I have changed how I eat so I am not going to gain it back and all the meds are a thing of the past I hope. B. There are lots of people on this site that show you do not have to gain it back. I am going to be in their ranks one day. See, lol, I have down times too. I should be called down moment instead of shy moment right at this moment lol.

Day 13

All challenges met. Has turned out a great day.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 12-02-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #37  
Never give up

Wink Day 7 under way...

Morning all. It's 5 a.m. Repeat of yesterday. I had so much to do yesterday to prepare for my trip, but I left most of it to today.... ... because I was just too tired. I went to bed two hours' early...sweet sleep!.....and feel a whole lot better this morning than I have in weeks. I'm hoping in Hong Kong I can gets lots of rest and walking in. I plan to take it easy on myself.
Well, I haven't weighed in yet this morning, but I'm not going to let the numbers throw me around, one way or the other...oh, yeah, right, if you're down, you'll be ecstatic, you know it.... My skin looks better and I can't believe it but my face is thinner. I thought the beginnings of jowls was age, you know, sagging skin around the laugh lines (?) outside my mouth. It wasn't! It was FAT! They're gone! Yippee!!!!

dj -- Excellent work on the exercise AND good for you for remembering the water. The extra discipline you are acquiring with challenges like these is going to serve you over and over again in all sorts of ways. Power to you!

Shy -- I'm sorry to hear that you have been ill and that you still are. I do wish you health and, if nothing more, that whatever it is you suffer from does not worsen. AND!! NO Ms. Down Moment, OK? I simply will not allow this. If you are aware of the yo-yo syndrome and determined not to subject yourself to it, AND vigilant then there is no way you have to gain the weight back. The vast majority of people take the weight off too quickly, think once they've reached goal that they're home-free, throw all cares and vigilance to the four winds and go back to old ways. It's inevitable that they gain the weight back. They are doing everything the same way as they used to. You, however, as you say, are changing your habits and apparently realize they have to STAY changed. You are taking the weight off slowly and understanding just WHY that is crucial, even though idiots such as the one in your doctor's office belittle your joy over losing 2 lbs. WTF?!?!?!? You are taking as example all the people who ARE keeping the weight off. The Maintainers forum is great for that. There's a woman called Meg (whom I've actually met because we both are from Pittsburgh, by the way) and if you read her story and how she lives now in order to maintain you will feel you are not alone AND, more importantly, you will be very much aware that this is a life decision.

I don't know, but from the sounds of it, you are in a rather hostile environment and seem to have people laying a lot of sh#t on you, negativity and doomsayers. I have the opposite situation here. No on says anything, so it's usually like I'm working in the dark. That's why coming in here to talk to you all is so helpful. Shy, you seem to be a very positive, optimistic (at least most of the time) and warm, helpful, caring person and my hunch is that people take advantage of that because you let them. When they say something totally out of line you let it by without a peep. That has something to say for it, but in cases like this, the doctor's office, the people saying, "You WILL gain it back," I would give them a snarl (and my snarls are legendary!), tell them to take flying leap or just let them know they had BETTER back off, and end this kind of stuff once and for all. You got that! I don't want to see Shy down. It's simply not right.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #38  
Rennie

Red
Thank you. I am better now. I just let it get to me and that is something I don't generally do. I have basically two kinds of people around me. Except for the hubby and the kids. One group say and notice nothing lol the other group just want to tell me how to lose weight and how it will never stay off lol. Since the weight came on with the meds, the bad eating habits didn't come until way later. I don't see why there would be a problem. Hubby of course was roaring mad about it all. Made me feel good lol.

I am doing well now. Crossing my fingers not to get real sick this winter. I am tired of being sick lol.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:47 AM   #39  
Never give up

Talking Day 7 is finished!

Today was Sunday, Dec. 2

Yes.

Yes. I was going to take a pause and drink but the guy I wanted to meet had a cold.

Yes. Had tea in the afternoon.

4) Did I eat healthy foods, whole grains, fruit, vegetables, brown rice and get adequate protein?
Yes. Could have been better but it was OK.

5) Did I get in exercise of some kind, either riding, the gym or "intentional walking?"
Yes. Rode and then went to the gym and did weights. AND, as I thought, one of my bodybuilding friends noticed right off that I'd lost weight! Hurrah!

Yes. It was 70.0 even, a new low!!!!

7) Did I give myself numerous pats on the back and words of praise at my efforts?
Yeah. It was hard today because I wasn't able to meet up with a friend and I was starting to get all annoyed and down, but I fought it, went to the gym instead and kept saying, "You can do it!!"

8) Did I keep largely to a 6-meal pattern of about 400-100-400-100-400-100 calories spaced out evenly over the day?
I did. It is getting to be a habit, small meals, can eat when I'm hungry, but not that much. I like it. Hope I can keep it up when I'm in Hong Kong.

8 out of 8???
YES!!

Day 7 is complete.

Shy, dj, aimin, jolly, Apple, a big hello!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:59 AM   #40  
Rennie

Red
You are doing so great. I have found if I eat all day long instead of a lot at one time a few things happen. I am never really hungry and I don't have as many tummy problems as I use to have.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #41  
Never give up

Thumbs up starting on Day 8....

Good morning, everyone. Where is everyone, by the way? Well, Shy and dj are still making regular appearances. Hope the others join in soon. I certainly know how it is, I was AWOL for weeks.

Well, it's the start of Day 8 and my Hong Kong trip is imminent. I don't think I'll make my goal but I'm a good 3 kg (6.6 lbs) closer to it than I was when I started, so I'm going to give myself a pat on the back.

I've set myself a new goal and that is 67 kg by the end of the year. The lowest weight I recorded in 2007 up to now was 68.6 in Jan. and Feb., just twice. The low in 2006 was 67.6 kg. So, hitting 67 would be a least a 2-year first. It'll be tough and I may not get quite there, but like the HK goal, I can be close. Going for it!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #42  
Rennie

Seems like there isn't many of us around today.

Day 15
All challenges met.

Busy here getting lights on this darn tree lol. Only have 45 more stands to go.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:58 AM   #43  
Never give up

Wink a week and then one!

Today was Monday, Dec. 3

Yes.

Yes.

Yes. Had tea in the afternoon.

Yes. Again, could have been better but I'm allowing it.

Yes. Went to the gym and walked extra.

Yes. It was still 70.0.

Yeah. Almost didn't.

Yes

8 out of 8???
Yeah.

Day 8 is complete.

Shy -- Hi there. Just you and me, eh? Congrats on another day down!!
Old 12-03-2007, 09:06 AM   #44  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Ok, I'm on Day 4 of both water before meals and extra exercise. Had one of "those days" on Saturday and blew it on both! I knew I'd forget to drink before eating one day and it happened. New habit to get into. So, 2 pauses left on each.

Red - You're doing awesome! 6.6 lbs is a great accomplishment. At the rate you're going, you'll hit that goal easily! When are you leaving on your trip? I'm sure I read it somewhere, but can't remember.

Shy - Seems your avatar changes everytime I come in here. I'm starting to look forward to what you have next. Where do you find all those?

Don't you just love putting on those lights? Ugh! That's one part I could do without! I'll be doing that myself next week. We're going to go out and cut a tree next Sunday. Couldn't do it this last weekend because my son was gone the whole time. I told everyone they must be available next Sunday, no excuses!

Have a great day all!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #45  
Rennie

dj
Go to your search and type in avatar Christmas lol. Is a shame, many of them I have found are to big to use. I hope to have a new one for everyday until Christmas. We used the fake tree this year. I want to be able to breath for the holidays.

Red
Nice going again

Day 16

All Challanges met.

Once christmas is over, I will go back to my fat cat lol.

Last edited by Shy Moment; 12-03-2007 at 09:50 PM.