CALLING all tall girls

You're on Page 3 of 37
Go to
  • Man, I feel like a shrimp! I am 5'8" and love being taller as well. (Although its really annoying that my teenagers are taller than me!) I too struggle with the same problems as most have mentioned, especially finding pants that are long enough. Most of my height is in my legs, so even when I find ones that fit my hips, the legs are too short. Plus, I have a small waist, so when they fit my hips, they gape at the waist! Ah, to have the funds for custom made clothes! My biggest fear with losing weight is that I will [U]still[U] have problems finding pants that fit even when I am smaller! I also have to lose quite a bit before changing sizes. Right now I am 302 lbs and in a 24. I lost 40 lbs. last year and was only in a tight 20.
    Let's hear it for being tall!
  • I'm 5'10" but I have short legs and a long torso... my height has definitly allowed me to be in denial about my weight in the past.
  • I'm 5'11" and I constantly am beng told I don't need to lose anymore weight. I am quick to point out they didn't notice when I gained it so I'm sure they won't notice when I lose it. The height does have it's advantages but shoe and jean shopping is a nightmare.
  • Dawn---- you really want to be 150 pounds? Wow... that's good for you. Will 150 make you "skinny"? I would imagine it would... my "ideal" is 180... and I'm shooting for 215 b/c that's where I was "fluffy" but comfortable in a 12/14....

I can't imagine being ANOTHER 35 pounds lighter than 215... good for you though... I won't know if I want to keep going until I get there, right?
  • Jen

My sister is 6'. Her body likes to be at 200. She can diet and get to 200#, and that's where she seems to stall. It puts her in a tight 12, 14 pants, and she looks good. She's your typical Norwegian farm girl, broad shouldered and healthy looking. When she gets below 180, she starts to look gaunt and sickly.

I think the mirror and your health also affect where you want to go with your weight too. The older I get, the more I notice my friends who are too thin LOOK older.
  • I am 5'10 and I am not sure if I can say that I carry it well right now or that it is in all the right places. I am a size 14 and need to lose so they fit better--I refuse to go up a size. Anyway, I look best at a size 10 and 165-170 pounds. I am 40 now. When I was in my 20's and 30's I was normally a size 8/10 and was able to keep my weight at 150 (with some work and exercise).

I am too big right now but even if I got down to a 12 I think I look pretty good (about 175).

Gina
  • also glad i found this thread.

i'm 6' and around 160 at the moment. i'm DEFINITELY not fat but feel my best when i'm around 155 (i have a very small frame).

i'm around a size 8 now...it does take me about ten pounds to drop a size.
  • Quote:
    Has anyone else noticed that being tall lets you wear a smaller size at a higher weight than average?
    I'm in a size 16 shirt and 18 pant right now... I really didnt think I'd be done with the 'size 20+s' by 250 pounds.
  • Drats, I feel short in this thread! Everywhere I go though, I'm like the tallest woman, so I don't know where you all are hiding or if I just shop where the shorter people do? Well, I'm on the shorter end of being tall I guess... 5'8, but it really does hide extra weight better. Most people couldn't even notice that I gained weight after my pregnancy. But then again they couldn't tell I lost it either, which is really REALLY annoying. Anyway, I guess that's the good and the bad of being tall!
  • I'm 5'8 and I have broad shoulders when im around my friends (they are 5'5 and under) i feel a bit awkward because i'm taller than most of them. But lately i've been trying to come to terms that I will be this height no matter what so I just got to by comfortable in my own skin...or height that is
  • I hadn't thought about this but it's true at 5'9 I seem to have to lose 10-15 lbs to make a difference in fit, it's just starting to happen at 167 or so lbs, I'm trying to get down to 155 or so again, when I was size 8 but this time I'm going to do some weight training because somehow 155 seemed skinny, especially my legs were thin. SO if you weight train you can add at least 3 lbs to what you "should be" I'm reading at least as muscle weights more then fat.

When I was pregnant four years ago everyone just looked at me like "wow you've gained weight but I hid the pregnancy until the end, it was winter and I had a big A line jacket. I'm in business and I just didn't want that "are you still going to run your business" thing as it requires travel - I knew I could drag one little boy along at times and I have.

I never thought about what someone said here, that when you are tall you are cursed in a way because you can hide the fat better. When I gain it's in my stomach but still if I wear a blazer or sweater that covers the buldge - which I'm losing - I don't think anyone would have had a clue that I was up to 180 even last year. I remember someone at the library said I wish I was tall and thin like you, I had on DNKY jeans and a blazer and it did the trick! I told her I was overweight and she humphed. But 180 is heavy for me and that blob of fat isn't healthy, dr's say it's the worst place to gain.

So here I go, 10 more lbs hopefully in the next few months - and it's true you know, I'll go down one size, most people won't notice it that much, but I will feel better and I'll be able to wear the skinny jeans - and without a blazer to hide the FAT. By the way, as for jeans, us long legged girls can find the longer inseams at Gap, DNKY, Levis, and of course the higher end designer jeans carry 34"+ (look on ebay for deals on used designer jeans like Sevens). Sometimes I get 35" inseam jeans even, but they don't exist at stores in my town...
  • I'm 5'7 with a long torso and shorter legs, but I love it. I generally don't look like what I weigh because of the distribution. That I think put me in denial when I was gaining the weight that I have previously lost though because I didn't really notice it.

It's great though b/c my mom is only 5'2 so if any shirts are too short for me in the arms or the torso I can give them to her and the same with pants. It seems though at my height the regular pants are perfect BEFORE I wash them and then they are highwaters. Silly clothing designers.

ETA: It's funny posting here I feel like a shortie with all you tall ladies!
  • Okay, apparently at 5'9" I'm a shorty here too!! Question for the tall women -- do's it include large feet too? I wear a 11/12 -- wondering if anyone over 5'8" has a size 3 shoe???
  • I have broad shoulders too, was worried about that when lifting weights but according to the weight training ladies on this site broad shoulders are in these days. I just don't work out my upper body as much still. I feel bigger then a lot of women because of this too. I just like being a lot thinner then this, that way I don't feel large. I loved being tall and thin, 5'9 and less then 155 is nice.
  • Ha. I wish I had small feet. I would be a shoe-freak I think..with all the pretty shoes and boots out there. 11/12's dont really go near me.

I have a phobia about heels though. As it is with my current shoes, I'm closer to or above 6'4. I havent checked in awhile Don't get me wrong, I love my height ( with the exception of the feet size ) but..I wouldnt be able to wear HUGE heals like others do.