Old 10-18-2007, 08:38 PM   #16  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

oprah says we should all be doing nice things for ourselves now that we are forty plus----i say----staying in pyjamas all day is not a problem--if i don't shower RIGHT away when i get up,i don't feel like bothering the rest of the day.DD and Danish Delight and Ds and i went to the nature park AGAIN today so ds could show the others how the chickadee dee deees like to eat from your hands----so for some reason we ended up in a Disney movie----first ,these crows started following us,along with the chickadees,THEN these foolish chipmunks who were chattering and yip yapping at each other followed us ,all of them hoping that ds would drop more sunflower seeds,THEN a squirrel ran after my apple that i had dropped on the ground and began to eat it while the crows made attempts to steal it----next we saw a woodpecker and various seagulls,more crows and lots of chickadees----i think the animals have become so tame because the nature park is so well used---but it was comical,especially when i thought of the way the animals are presented in cinderella and bambi----kind of a magical afternoon!!
Bagzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:34 AM   #17  
fatter than U

Red face Who's more annoying: Oprah or Dr. Phil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagzz View Post
oprah says we should all be doing nice things for ourselves now that we are forty plus
Yeah, yeah, ol' Oprah says lots of things, and many people take her word as gospel, BUT this time she unfortunately did a huge disservice to those of us suffering from thyroid disease. I didn't see the show but I read all about it and she and her little "doctor" friend are seriously misinformed. We'll see how long those hot bubble baths and month-long tropical vacations help poor Oprah with her symptoms. She'll be running to a real doctor any day now, you can bet on that. It's a *medical condition*, darling, not something you can get rid of with aromatherapy. And she should definitely lay off the soy! Apparently she's been wolfing it down in huge quantities on the advice of her pseudo-doctor and it's one of the *worst* things to eat if you have a thyroid condition. Sheesh. You'd think a woman with all the money and resources in the world at her fingertips would choose to inform herself properly.

Can you tell I'm mad? No, not really, but I do think she should have presented a more balanced view of the whole thing since she, sadly, has so much influence on the public. People have been trying for YEARS to get her to do a thyroid information show and now that she actually has the disease herself, she comes out with this silliness.

Read more here if anyone is interested: An Open Letter to Oprah's Viewers

OK, forget about Oprah!

Cute pictures, Bagziee! My computer crashed a couple of times before I could load them properly. I think you may have brought 3fc to its (their?) knees. Or maybe I just have a crappy computer.

Kids have two weeks off school starting tomorrow! Whee!

Last edited by SugP; 10-19-2007 at 06:39 AM.
SugP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 AM   #18  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

ooooooooooo sorry about your computer crash sugar---i can take them down if you guys think they are too annoying!---i was surprised they let me load so many but they were all small files that i had to adjust to fit--i am very interested in the oprah thing---is it true that Dr Christiane Nortrup is not a real dr??? i have that book but am too lazy to read it-----it is pretty sad that she is pushing a book that may not be good,since obviously it will be on the best sellers list for years now.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:55 AM   #19  
loves kleenex box art

My kefir group says that soy products are not safe to eat in America AT ALL. That all soy here is sprayed with sevin (bug killer that I may have spelled wrong) and you get a helping of sevin with each cup of soy milk or soy whatever.

How do you get birds to eat from your hand? They don't do that here.
Cowpernia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #20  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Well I guess I am left with cow mystery, but I like how the cow group writes. Thanks for the sock compliments. I like them too. Matching is so overrated.

jo
p.s. regarding soy: my thyroid does not work. period. so i don't see how soy can make it even worse than zero function. or am i wrong?
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #21  
loves kleenex box art

I want to reassure Sugar that Oprah is getting hers. Working in a supermarket, I know all!!! Stedman is writing a book exposing her drug use and her other lover. She (and others) have been exposed for telling US how to lose weight while they can not themselves. The Enquirer has pinpointed at exactly what age she will die (eating habits, air travel, lifestyle, etc.). One magazine has her so airbrushed that her nose is almost invisible.

Speaking of magazines, you know how models in those things have lipstick applied outside their lipline (vermilion)? We have customers who do that. One adorable, small, older lady draws Lucille Ball lips on her face. Others just go down the chin a bit. I've never seen this before and it's not a good idea I don't think.

Did I tell you I got A SANDWICH?!?!?? I've been coveting A SANDWICH for a long time. If customers tell management you helped them, you're supposed to get a token and with a few tokens, you get A SANDWICH. I have one token and have unhappy as surely someone has appreciated my sparkling personality. Yesterday, I was given a voucher for a meal at the deli because someone called the asst manager's home to say I'd helped him find something. That's her story. The sandwich was yummy.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:50 PM   #22  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
DD and Danish Delight and Ds and i went to the nature park AGAIN today so ds could show the others how the chickadee dee deees like to eat from your hands----so for some reason we ended up in a Disney movie
I think it's the Danish influence----you know, Hans Christian Andersen etal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugP View Post
You'd think a woman with all the money and resources in the world at her fingertips would choose to inform herself properly.
Yes, you would, wouldn't you? But it seems that the famous have no better judgment than the rest of us, while they have so much money that unscrupulous and self-deluded "experts" appear to be "better" than real doctors, partly just by charging the celebs so much more, I think. If you've paid someone a huge chunk of change to tell you that a bubble bath will cure you, you feel they must be right.
Thanks for the link, Sug, that's pretty bad. Glad I never went on soy supplements. The only reason I didn't, other than pure laziness, is that I think I'm allergic to soybeans in the form of edamame, so I figured I shouldn't consume excesses of it.

Quote:
-is it true that Dr Christiane Nortrup is not a real dr??? i have that book but am too lazy to read it-----it is pretty sad that she is pushing a book that may not be good,since obviously it will be on the best sellers list for years now.
Couple months ago after Northrup was on RachelRay re: menopause, I went online to find out more info, and it all looked like, well, tabloid medicine to me. Wasn't worth wasting time on. Glad I didn't buy her book -- maybe you should give it to someone you don't like, Bagz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia View Post
My kefir group says that soy products are not safe to eat in America AT ALL. That all soy here is sprayed with sevin (bug killer that I may have spelled wrong) and you get a helping of sevin with each cup of soy milk or soy whatever.
That's misleading -- I doubt it's any more than you get with any other produce -- they wash food items before they process them. Why would it be particular to soy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia View Post
Working in a supermarket, I know all!!!
Bagz lives in the magical kingdom, Peaches lives in tabloidland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
regarding soy: my thyroid does not work. period. so i don't see how soy can make it even worse than zero function. or am i wrong?
But you must be on meds? I wonder if soy interferes with them?

I have to go get my drivers license renewed. Wouldn't do to forget about it and get stopped. Again.

Kiwi
Kiwonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #23  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

i have so many arguments regarding soy---they say women in soy lands don't get hot flashes---they say soy contributes to estrogen driven cancers---what the ****??? so since i am not interested in eating soy anyway,and the milk looks stinky to me----i will only eat it when mings makes seshwan {????} tofu---but mings closed down so now i will eat no soy-----who can we believe anymore nowadays----i got that menopause book years ago and i really thought it was written by someone who knew what she was talking about--i wonder if there are any reputable books on the subject----i am at work and i need to go to the washroom----should i close up shop????
Old 10-20-2007, 12:10 AM   #24  
loves kleenex box art

Dear Bagz,

I assume you have not gone to the bathroom yet and are awaiting advice. Please ask the lady in the British cookie and marmalade shoppe to watch yours whilst you visit the plumbing.

Peach
Old 10-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #25  
loves kleenex box art

Ok, Kiwi, you are so so so ... ummmm ... sensible. Please tell me if this is real.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:05 AM   #26  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
* United States ex rel. Mayo v. Satan and His Staff (W.D. Pa. 1971).

Civil rights case against Satan (and agents thereof). Case dismissed for lack of jurisdiction, and because of doubts over whether it could properly be maintained as a class action.
Apparently it's real. Go figure.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #27  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

who is the soy guru?? do we like dr weill
Old 10-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #28  
fatter than U

I have a cook book co-authored by Dr. Weil and I kind of like him but he does seem to have a differing opinion on things you would think were harmless to eat.
SugP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #29  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Oh He Is Against Peanut Butter--now I Remember ---he Sucks
Old 10-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #30  
Member w/ messiest house

I could not live without peanut butter.

I bought a pair of pants on sale at Old Navy and now I think they are almost too weird to wear. It's like they have no waist, and they have stupid strings at the ankles, plus there are 4 fastenings to open to take them off, which is just cruel. I don't usually buy things at Old Navy, is this typical?

It's another incredible fall day here; we had one day of gloomy skies and rain and now we're back to crisp and clear. I have a yard full of leaves, anyone want any?

Kiwi