Old 11-10-2007, 02:14 AM   #16  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Arrow 5 Guilt-Free Fast Food Meals

With the Holidays approaching and all of the running around we have to do to get prepared for them, etc...........I thought this was a nice article..........

5 Guilt-Free Fast Food Meals

By Glenn Mueller
Glee Contributor

Psst... Want to know the easiest way to good nutrition and weight loss? Hint: It's delicious and you don't even have to cook! Find out here.

Just because you are heading down the road to weight loss doesn’t mean you have to steer clear of the drive-thru. Even when you are committed to following a healthy eating plan, it is still possible to ride in the fast-food lane. In fact, given the hectic pace of modern life, it is almost unrealistic to think that people won’t have to resort to eating take-out or convenience food from time to time.

"Fast food is not something you want to consume every day," warns eDiets Director of Nutritional Services Pamela Ofstein. "That being said, there are actually plenty of healthy choices available at most fast-food restaurants. It just depends on the selections you make."

Though fast-food restaurants have become a popular scapegoat for the current obesity epidemic, there is no need to fear the occasional pit stop. In fact, if you make sensible choices, fast food can be a convenient part of any healthy lifestyle.

"People can incorporate the occasional fast food meal into nearly any healthy eating plan," Pamela says. "In fact, the majority of meal plans on eDiets include fast food options that people can substitute in place of other entrees."

When you do decide to brake for fast food, Pam says it is very important to monitor your portion size and overall calorie intake. Her general advice is not to use any high-calorie, high-fat condiments on your food. And, don’t get stuffed on side dishes, either.

No, you would NOT like fries or an apple pie with that order, no matter how much the person behind the counter insists on trying to sell them to you. Instead of fries or greasy onion rings, Pam suggests ordering a side salad with your meal. And, instead of washing it all down with a diet-busting super-sized portion of soda, asking for water is always the best way to go, she said.

Now that you know what to order with your entree, here are Pam’s top-5 choices for guilt free fast food. The next time you decide to pull into the fast food lane, pick one of these choices to make sure you are still getting a well-balanced meal.

Grilled Chicken Sandwich Most fast food restaurants today feature some kind of grilled chicken sandwich on the menu. According to Pam, this is usually one of the healthiest options. Just be sure to tell them to hold the mayo. And, order your sandwich with a bottle of water and a side salad.

Entree Salad Nearly all fast food restaurants feature salads as a main course, but that doesn’t mean they are all healthy. Make sure the salad isn’t topped with fried foods or bacon bits. If the restaurant offers a grilled chicken salad, that is usually your best choice. However, Pam says you still have to be careful what type of dressing you choose. Make sure you ask for a dressing that is low in fat. Or, better yet, Pam advises skipping the dressing and topping your salad with fresh squeezed lemon juice.

Fruit Salads With Yogurt In Pam’s opinion, some very popular fast food chains weren’t just clowning around when they decided to add fruit salads with yogurt to the menu. This is a very healthy choice, as long as you order it with a bottle of water.

Salad Bar According to Pam, any restaurant or supermarket that features a salad bar is actually raising the bar on healthy eating. If you are lucky enough to find a salad bar near you, Pam suggests filling your plate with fresh fruits and vegetables. You can even top that salad with some low-fat protein like chicken, ham or turkey. Just be sure to add low-fat dressing or lemon juice. And, the beverage? You guessed it! Water is your best bet.

Hamburger Heaven If you think eating fast food just isn’t the same without being able to sink your teeth into a juicy burger, there’s no need to wimp out. You can gladly pay us Tuesday for a hamburger today, as long as you choose a lean, grilled burger. If you can’t find a lean, grilled burger on the menu, Pam says you should order a plain hamburger and omit the cheese. You can still have it your way, as long as you hold off on the ketchup and mayo. Oh, and order that burger with a side salad and water for a meal that will make your whole body truly happy.

Yes, you do deserve to brake today. And, as long as you make healthy choices, you will find yourself eating the occasional fast food mean and "lovin’ it." With a little practice, you’ll find that you can be part of this fast food nation without supersizing yourself!

Link to Article
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #17  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Great article Sassy...thanks for sharing it and it is soooo true. I know I am one who at times frequents the fast food places...my downfall and working on that. I must say though I don't always choose the healthy meal. For me I have to indulge once in awhile to avoid a big time binge. I am me, and I am not perfect that's for sure.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #18  

Talking Holiday Help

For me during these holidays I like to research great low cal holiday recipes. Then whenever I attend a party / dinner / get together I bring a dish or 2 of my own. Something that I really enjoy, usually an appetizers and sides, that way i can fill up on these as a backup plan if everything else looks bad for me. The recipes on this site have been very helpful to me so thanks to all who have been posting them
manchuntd88 is offline   Reply With Quote