Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 02:56 PM   #1  

Default Happy Mooo-nday

Hi Cowsies, my big news is that I went walking this morning, in the dark at 6:30 am!!!!! I'm back to being a good girl! I'm remotivated. Don't ask me why. I guess mostly because I really get to loathing myself when I get this tubby.

Hey Viola, maybe you're the new blood that's going to get this group moving again. I've done the WW thing many times. It is a good program but it won't work without the D word. Discipline. Ick. I stopped by the grocery store and stocked up on office food. I bought fruit, cup-o-soup, sugar free hot cider mix, and a few other hunger fighters.

Bagzie, I like your new weight loss philosophy. It works for me.
Old 01-07-2002, 04:12 PM   #2  
Member w/ messiest house

Default good for you

It would have been somewhat difficult for me to go walking at 6.30 this morning. Besides the fact that I was still in bed... We finally got some decent snow! About 7 or 8 inches last night. What a nice surprise! Maybe tomorrow I'll go snow shoeing.

I had a brain cloud last night while cooking dinner. DD had a friend over and I made spaghetti, and for some reason I made enough spaghetti for an army! Usually I make just barely enough, so I wanted to be sure we had enough for an extra person. Now I have mass quantities of extra cooked spaghetti in the 'fridge. What do I do with it?

Kiwi
Old 01-08-2002, 03:57 PM   #3  
fatter than U

Talking and I thought it was all those M&Ms!!

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Long-term stress could
make people fat, according to a study of some 50
overweight middle-aged Swedish men published on
Monday.

Disruptions in the human nervous system, or stress, can
concentrate fat around the abdomen, raising the risk of
diabetes as well as heart problems, a study by the
university hospital in the Swedish city of Gothenburg
found.

One fifth of Westerners are estimated to suffer from
diabetes or cardiovascular diseases.

"The stress system has developed to deal with periods of
brief stress for stone-age man preparing for battle or flight. But in today's civilised world, stress is different.
One does not beat up the boss or run away from the mortgage institute," said physician Thomas Ljung, who
led the study.

A body under stress creates a surplus of a hormone which stimulates a fat-gathering enzyme. This enzyme is
more easily taken up by the abdomen than other parts of the body, the survey found.

After a long period of stress, the hormone surplus decreases but the fat remains, particularly around the bellies
of modern men who need less physical exercise to survive than their forefathers.

"Positive stress, a quick rush of adrenalin, is only good for the body. It is the long-term negative stress than can
lead to serious health problems," Ljung told Reuters by telephone.

Even though pot-bellies are often associated with middle-aged men, a surprisingly large number of women also
have a disproportionate amount of fat around their waists, he said.

How depressing. Gotta go relax.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:24 PM   #4  
Member w/ messiest house

Default That figures

What I get from that is that we should beat up the boss and run away from the mortgage institute. What do you think?

I didn't go snowshoeing today. I took a long winter's nap instead.

DD is totally p--- o--- ed at her chorus teacher. She was always annoyed at her for being one of those yellers -- never able keep order and always yelling at the class or putting people on detention. DD is in chorus 2-3 days/week plus she's in the show choir which practices 3x/week, so she sees an awful lot of this teacher. They had a special practice on Saturday to plan the big show, assign parts and get started on choreography, and DD's best friend didn't show up. She called her and the girl had forgotten and couldn't get a ride. Yesterday the teacher tossed 5 kids off the show choir (including dd's friend), all of whom didn't show up on Saturday, so everybody is upset. Of course, this was in accordance with the rules set out at the beginning, but it does seem harsh. DD says the teacher doesn't follow through with most of her threats, so everyone was surprised at this. Tough being a righteous teen, eh?

Tata, gotta go figure out something for dindin.

Kiwi
Old 01-08-2002, 07:25 PM   #5  

Default Boringly on topic

Hi Cows, I've walked 2 days in a row!! And I haven't overeaten for 2 days.

Sugar, no wonder I'm fat. Raising kids has got to be much more stressful than anything middle aged businessmen have to deal with.
Old 01-09-2002, 12:20 AM   #6  

Hi, it is good to be back. The last few days are a blurr. I know I pigged out Sat, been cutting back Sun, Mon, Tues I ate about 29 pts which is my max allowable. I went to Tae Kwon Do tonight. The whole family does it. I am such a spazz in the class, but everyone is nice to me anyway.
I have stocked up on fat free hot cocoa and soups. I had a very emotional moment this week. I found several old friends through classmates and they sent pictures, so of course I had to send one. It was so scary. I actually cried. It is so ridiculous that we put ourselves through this. If people love us, they love us. A few pounds is nothing. I say I believe that, but I must not. I wish I could make peace with myself about my shape. I would be so much happier. Think of all the people who mean so much to you. Is it because they look pretty, or is it because they act pretty! Oh, well, soap box time over. My friends were happy to see me after all these years. That made me feel better.
Old 01-09-2002, 04:27 PM   #7  
Member w/ messiest house

Tae Kwan Do sounds like fun. I am going to start taking Tai Chi this Saturday; hope to get myself into some kind of shape. Besides round, that is.

I'm on Classmates, too, but I'm too cheap to sign up for the full membership, so I haven't contacted anyone yet. It's fun to see all those old familiar names. They're not getting my picture anytime soon...

Where are all you cows? Lush, did you get frozen yet?

Kiwi
Old 01-11-2002, 04:27 PM   #8  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Default Margie night---ola!!!ole!!!!

okay---I have been an absolute PIG all week,and I am sprouting an extra roll very quickly-----if you tanks don't start motivating me NOW,I will do an internet search for Dusty and tell her where you are hiding----WHERE IS PEACHBAT????WHERE IS LUSHBAG????WHERE ARE ALL OF YOU FAT-TUBS?:???????GET THE h#%$ BACK HERE!!!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2002, 05:11 PM   #9  
fatter than U

Thumbs down Phew!

So yessssterday I do 25 mins on the cross trainer and then 1/2 hour of upper body weights and when I run over here knocking on the 3fc's door to tell someone, they won't let me in! So now I'm in. Praise me. Tell me how wonderful I am.

Stevie's wife is pregnant again and he still hasn't found a new job. I think we should take up a collection.

Cherry has started up her fitness journal and she's doing great. Go take a look.

Viola - I'm sure your school friends were thrilled to get in touch with you and would never judge you from a picture. I guess we're just too hard on ourselves sometimes, me included.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:03 PM   #10  

I went to Walmart and bought a scale. I am in BIG trouble. According to the scale (which I will not get on for another week) I am 194.5 lbs. six out of 10 times I got on it. This is bad because 2 years ago I weighed 162, and 2 years before that I weighed 192 which I thought was huge at the time. I honestly thought I weighed 185 - 188. Oh, well. I will get a bit more serious now. Thanks for the support. I am coming out of denial (and that aint a river in Egypt, baby!)
Old 01-11-2002, 11:08 PM   #11  
Member w/ messiest house

Default Whoa!

Who stole Sugar and left this buff superwoman in her place??? Good for you, girl! I'm starting Tai Chi tomorrow, so I will be ohm-magnificent soon.

I joined you in spirit(s?) tonight, Bagz. Don't worry, I'm still fat.

And Viola, don't you worry either. Those numbers are all relative. You will weigh something entirely different on every scale. Pick one and go from there. (Peaches used to haul herself up into the produce scale at Piggly Wiggly, right?) I even have 2 different standards for the same scale. I have a weight tracker on my personal Yahoo page; on that one I weigh myself with my clothes on. For my sig below, I only weigh myself in the morning before a shower. And you'll notice, even that's not helping. I still have Christmas candy to eat. First things first.

Kiwi
Old 01-12-2002, 02:45 PM   #12  
fatter than U

Talking Peaches would *never* weigh in at the Piggly Wiggly, Kiwi!

It was the Winn Dixie. The produce manager there is cuter.

I have no idea how reliable my scale is. It *says* I have 37% body fat, which I don't want to believe, but I think it just might be right. Toooooooo much fat for such a short person. I only have 5 months to get in shape for Osoyoos and the Son of a Beach Motel. Not that I was in shape the last time we went.

WHERE are Lush and Peachers? And Letty and Marcella for that matter. You'd love Letty and Marcella, Viola. They are size ones and just come hear to taunt us.
Old 01-13-2002, 03:50 PM   #13  
Member w/ messiest house

Default I'm getting discouraged

It is so hard to use my computer these days. Everything keeps crashing. DH keeps fooling with it and it keeps getting worse. Meanwhile the new computer is working fine, but we don't have email on it. Poop.

You're right, Sugar, I just like saying Piggly Wiggly...

37% fat? That's the same amount as a Burger King Whopper without cheese or mayo! Doesn't that sound slim? It's also the same amount of fat in a BK Dutch apple pie! I don't know what that means.

I miss Letty and Marcella too. Sort of. I would like to see their sig lines: maybe something like this:

100.1/100/99.8

It's snowing like crazy here today. Beautiful. Gotta wonder if there will be school tomorrow. DD went for a walk earlier to test out DH's new walkie talkies (they worked quite nicely half a mile away). She had already been gone quite a while when I let the dog out to have a pee. I went to get her back in and she had taken off. DD says the dog tracked her down and promptly peed again. Meanwhile I was looking franticly in the closet for my snow boots (we haven't had enough snow before this to bother with the big high boots)--the dog is old and not steady on her feet and I was afraid she'd get bogged down in the snow or fall into the lake. I didn't find them until after DD and the dog came back, covered head to tail with snow. Quite a sight.

I guess it's time to clean out the coat closet. I think I smelled something really gross in there.

Tai Chi was totally cool! There were a lot of women there I knew --my age (that's an unusual experience around here). I really think I'm going to like it.

Kiwi
Old 01-13-2002, 08:50 PM   #14  

Hi everybody,
I found my point calculator, its been on the floorboard of my husband's car for about a year. I had 2 on points days in a row. I am proud of myself. If I don't stay up late and start snacking, I'll be OK. Size ones taunting us, they live dangerously. I might find them and sit on them.
Closed Thread