Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 AM   #91  

I think I just spent an irretrievable 40 minutes of my remaining life waiting for available bandwidth from 3fc. What devotion.

Will somebody please PM me the location of Shad's photos? I loved the pix of Ruth's garden, delta and Hershey... not to mention Holly and Ruth!

Happy-- I agree that the pelicans on the west coast are fierce. I've got photos of some from Santa Barbara who were definitely territorial. Actually, I ran into similarly territorial ones in Tampa Bay Florida on a big tourist pier. People obviously fed them alot and they weren't pleased that all I had in my purse was yarn and cash! I hope your injuries healed up without a hitch.

Shad-- if you get back to Texas, lets plan on the Fort Worth Zoo.... The Dallas one is OK... but FW is more picturesque. I am really yearning to see the "radiant turtle"!!

Ceejay - I've been having a bit of runny nose... hope whatever is in our air today skips past you! I'm glad it is cooler. FINALLY.

Rennie-- There were times when it was worth it to take lessons from Sarah Bernhardt and "play sick." As long as you can convince your family that you are sicker than any of them..... (without actually terrifying them, of course). GET YOUR REST!!

I didn't get art supplies from others... but I got ginormous gift certificates for Borders... I think I need practice more than new stuff, you know?

Mel: How DO you remember all these birthdays? I've got a so-called birthday calendar, but months go by between glances at it.

Did you get some new art supplies for your birthday Painter?

Madcat: love the seasonable avatar! Way to set priorities on the one weekend before Christmas that DH was available! Hope you both got a wonderful change of pace with your R&R.

I'm with you and Patty about not being in the habit of drinking enough water. And if I remember late in the day all I do is pee all night.

Kudos to your BC friend who is hanging on and in reasonably good spirits. Have you seen Nordies at Noon? Turns out I have friends who know 2 of the authors. It is specifically about YOUNG women (four of them) and their experience with breast cancer. What is so unpleasant is that younger women, IF they get breast cancer, seem to get a really nasty strain of it... So tell your women friends, even if they are well under 40, to squeeze those boobs and be aware. Early detection is the key.

My friend with the melanoma must have told me 50 times if she told me once, that she just wants to live long enough for the next medical advancement. She's made it through about 6... (They gave HER 3 months 6 years ago....) The jury's out about how she'll manage the most recent set backs (which were side-effects of treatment, rather than the tumors themselves.) I think I might be able to pass a medical oncologist exam by the time we're through all of this.

I didn't realize you were "so old." From what you wrote, and my assumptions about Madcat/Madcap I'd thought you were in your late 20's early 30's!! I wonder what totally wrong assumptions I've made about the rest of this bunch. Double congratulations on your marital committment. I totally know what you mean about it being the same but different.

Mel~ Be sure to tell us whether the "unattended cooking" charges stick. Good thing it's not a crime to cook things that taste bad. Hope Mr. Vertigo is minding his P's and Q's.

I sure hope this posts. Wouldn't want to still be up when the sun rises.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #92  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Posting for Mel:
Mom is on 24 hr sinus meds and mucous meds. That's what this is all about. We reatain fluids and they build up in our sore muscles. By accident she missed a few doses and with the humid and rainy weather, this happened. She is of good spirits but just cannot sit up well or keep her eyes open.
But of all goes well she should be back before the weekend, and wishes you all a good week. Take care, Jen
Old 10-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #93  

Thanks Jen! (((Mel)))
Old 10-10-2007, 08:46 AM   #94  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning worldly chicks,

Nice pictures Holly - thanks for sharing. I couldn't see them at work but they are coming through nice and clear at home. I have to believe it's getting cool up in the Delta but can't believe she's still got warmth loving tomatoes growing in with the pumpkins on the vine. Better hide those pumpkins before Shad mades soup of them

Painter - 'irretrievable 40 minutes of my remaining life..." Wow if that's not an in your face perspective of things I don't know what it. Actually after I've wasted an hour or so on a stupid tv program or watching the internet I've often felt the same way. I stayed up late for this???? You just put it into better words. Glad you had a nice birthday.

Shad - you crack me up Hope you get a break from pushing the chicks and roosters about today. Are things starting to bloom in your area of the world or does spring just mean you get a little water for a change?

Rennie - if you have a propensity to asthma then you shouldn't be smoking - but I'm sure you know that deep down inside even if you won't admit it. Do yourself a big favor and don't smoke inside your house at all. Even if you limit it to 2 rooms - it's still all over the house and in the lungs of every person who lives there. And this is spoken from the lips of someone who smoked for over 30 years and used every excuse and denial ever made. When we moved here this was a pretty liberal smoking place compared to Illinois. Heck cigs were $2.50 a pack compared to 6 to 8 dollars in Chicago. But just in the last year there is a big push to curtail the smoking here. New senator is proposing a 161 percent tax hike on them and as of the first of the month all restaurants are smoke free. I even heard a commercial talking about a smoke free Tennessee. Rather radical for a place like this but I could see it coming.

Macat - this time of year is brutal for allergies - kinda like the opposite end of hay fever. With all the leaves molding down and breaking into little bits and pieces, the stuff is in the air, all over our shoes and tracked everywhere. Hard to avoid. They say a good frost will diminish the symptoms but I'm sure there's a good month or so of sniffling and sneezing. Get some soft tissues Can't believe you are approaching your 2 year wedding anniversary. Time flies, doesn't it. Glad you found your best friend to walk down the road of life with...

Foo - just looked at the time, I must have been dawdling here. I gotta run.

Hello Ruth, Patty, Ceejay, Carla and the rest of the crew.

Big to Jen and Mel - thanks Jen for keeping us up to date!
Old 10-10-2007, 02:18 PM   #95  
Choose your hard

Rennie,

I too felt like you did - the states made a ton of revenue from the "sin" taxes. Where would they make up that money? Same thing like Illinois doing constant boosts on the cig taxes each year. Heck that just pushed everyone down to Indiana or up to Wisconsin to buy their cigs.

I quit smoking 3 and a half years ago. I still miss it. I think I always will. I have a 3-1/2 year old unopened pack of cigarettes in my computer bag that I just can't seem to throw away. I figure if I ever get so desperate to have a cigarette again, I want to make sure I have the oldest, stalest most ratty cig I can get my hands on because I know it will only take one and I'll be back smoking again. I seem to have forgotten all the bad parts about smoking - just like a lover you wistfully pine for but forget how bad they treated you I figured I'd quit before it got to the point that they had a lynch mob out gunning for the smokers. Sure seems like it's gotten to that point. We're going to Las Vegas in January. I always figured that was the last place in the U.S. where you could smoke anywhere, anytime. Will be interesting to see what it's like now after not being there for a few years.

It's just that asthma is nothing to fool with. You don't want to get COPD - or emphasema - there's no turning back once that shows up.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:33 PM   #96  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

You girls are a chatty bunch. Had to go back 3 pages.

Holly--Thanks for sharing the photo's. Didn't realize that Carla joined you two.

Rennie--Hope you feel better.

Mel--Feel better soon. It's no fun having vertigo. Be sure and take those meds. Thanks Jen for letting us know about your mom.

Painter--Save those gift cards from Borders. I'll be right there.

Nothing exciting going on today.

Do any of you computer experts know how to retreve the control panel on a
computer? It disappeared this past weekend.

Madcat--Irritants react the same as allergies I have several here at work.

Hello to Happy and Carla
Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #97  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morena,
Seems the world is finally turning against smokers. Here in Aus - Queensland was the first to ban smoking in all restaurants. No exceptions. Then they banned smoking in pubs and clubs where food is to be served. Then it was all pubs and clubs and the beer gardens or outdoor eating areas. Govt depts have been smoke free for years. A while back, legislation was passed that you could not smoke within 15 metres (45 feet) of a building or building lobby which meant that the smokers had to stand out in the rain or in the middle of the road in most cities. No smoking on any form of public transport either. Finally they have now banned smoking in all shopping malls and plazas and outdoor areas where people congregate - no smoking on city streets or parks where children are present - so if you want to smoke basically the best place to do it is at home. Even your neighbours may complain if you smoke too close to their fence and the smoke goes drifting by. (I sense a song coming on here - 'Blue smoke goes drifting by - under a clear blue sky' - but I forget myself) Now there is a push to ban smoking by drivers in cars just as the use of the mobile phone by drivers has been banned.
Statistics tell us that heart disease is on the way down and is now more caused by obesity than smoking, we have fewer street cleaners, more people die in their homes by smoking in bed and the city's air is less polluted but only marginally. Other cancers (rather than lungs) have taken over as the biggest killer. You gotta die of something I suppose.
The cigarette companies still survive. They don't sponsor much these days over here and advertising the weed is banned. It hasn't really raised our taxes much, people are surviving and having a smoker among us is now the minority instead of the majority. Hospitals are still overflowing with casualties from the road kill war (mostly under 25) and the taxes on petrol have risen to probably cover for the non-smoking lack of taxes. If that keeps a few people off the roads then it's okay by me.
I gave up smoking 18 years ago. I don't feel any craving, I never really did. You gotta want to do it. Personally the only grouch I have against smokers is that they get more breaks than non-smokers at work and that aint fair and mostly they smell. One of the worst things I find about giving up smoking is that when my sense of smell came back, I found the world stunk more than it was scented. Sad finding that.

Madcat - take time off to be with the lovely man - sounds like you deserve a weekend together. Nice to see that sometimes that piece of paper makes a difference in the right way.
Last time I was buying a car it was a toss up between the Jazz (you call it Fit over there) and the Astra which I bought. This time I am still looking at Honda but at the new Civic. I would like one of the Hybrids but can't justify the price. It seems with our dollar rising at the moment, it might well be the time to buy since much of our motor trade is imported these days. My Astra was built in Belgium?!!!
As for the World Cup - well I am slowly coming out of mourning. There are a stack of jokes going around at the moment. Here's one:
At exactly 9.33pm last Saturday night, a man's body was found in the Auckland Bay wearing an All Black guernsey, lipstick, a long blonde wig, women's knickers, fishnet stockings, high-heels and various unmentionables attached to his nether regions.
Police immediately removed the guernsey to save the family any embarrassment

Painter - I'll be back - as someone once said - and Zoos and Caves are on the menu. I'll PM that link for you so at least you will not have to go back three pages to try and find it. That may irretrievably lose you another 30 minutes of precious life. Love it.

Mel - get better soon or as I told Jen, I'll be back to deal with it. Take the pills, rub in the ointment and it will all go away. You have to get back to dealing with self first, Jen next, others last. Get it? Got it? GOOD!

Happy - This part of the West of Australia is temperate climate - which means 4 seasons, rain and cold winters, hot dry summers. We have had a wonderful display of wildflowers this year due to better rains over the winter. The whole countryside sort of within a 400 mile radius of Perth has been awash with the type of flowers you saw on my pictures from the Kings Park Botanical Gardens. They will be finished by October end. Blossom is starting to appear in the gardens around the place, the roses have had their first flush, and azaleas and gardenias are out. Tulips have finished but the rest is fine. Trees are beginning to show leaf again and it is all looking quite good. So the seasons are moving as they should. At home the beginning of the summer wet season is upon us and they have had a week of storms, lightning bolts, hail, wind and rain. Lismore about 2 hours south of my place in Brisbane has been declared a disaster area after a Supercell went through and hail the size of golf balls destroyed cars and windows and winds blew the roofs of many of the buildings and blew complete sheds away!

Right that's it. I've written a book. Ka kite to those I haven't mentioned. I have butts to kick again - people to hassle - life to get on with. Gotta love it. Somehow we will make it to Train the Trainer in 3 weeks time. Don't know how yet - but make it we will.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #98  

That's what we were threatened with when the legislation first came in. Oh the yelling and screaming, but it hasn't happened. We still have the same number of shops, we still have bowling alleys, we still have racetracks and cinemas - in fact more of them.
We also have cleaner air in the stores, less rubbish around on the ground and less of the dreadful hacking as the smokers clear their lungs for the day - all that is except for my next door neighbour who still manages to wake the dead with his morning ritual at around 4.30am. Diehard smoker - well that's probably what he will do and he is only in his thirties.
People will adapt and survive, they always have and they always will. I am happy to pay my way with some more taxes, I am also happy to know that the hospitals charge more for dealing with smoking related illnesses, and it is interesting to see that some doctors will not operate on a patient if they are still smokers. I am waiting for the axe to fall on those who need treatment for substance abuse such as ice, heroin, cocaine and other stupidities. The rest of the world doesn't need to put up with or pay for self induced problems. Far as I am concerned, debate is over.

Last edited by Shad; 10-10-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #99  

Fortunately there are laws in place for DUI - doesn't stop the carnage but at least they are there.

There is no law to stop the ignoramus throwing cigarettes butts out of the window and starting forest fires which destroy wildlife, forests, peoples incomes, homes, possessions, and lives all in one go as the other ladies on this thread will remember from last years horrendous bushfires in the State of Victoria where we had to bring in firefighters from around the country and around the world including the US and a couple of them lost their lives - all due to a cigarette butt! Wasn't just a couple of innocent lives lost in that conflagration. Not denying that booze causes problems - as does gambling - as does drugs - as does manufacturing - as does motor racing - as does just living sometimes.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 PM   #100  

And I guess it doesn't happen with tobacco companies!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 AM   #101  
Choose your hard

Hmmm. Just went and checked my ticker.

Cigarettes NOT smoked: 38,044

That's a whole lot of litter I would have produced.

I must admit when I was in the Smokey Mountains park last week and saw a very occasional smoker, I was a bit put off. We are in tinder dry drought conditions. Just a spark on a breeze could do so much devestation. Glad I'm not a part of that any more.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:24 AM   #102  

Wow - just think of the oceans not polluted and the precious creatures not trying to eating them because they think they are food. Think of the sidewalks and paths that have been spared because people are too lazy to put the butts in the butt cans. Think of the forests spared and the landfill not used.
Not that I am saying you used to set fire to the forests!!!! Can't imagine anything less likely.
And yes, alcohol is also a problem - caused by humans to other humans. Nothing to say that in excess it is good for anyone - ditto drugs of any form. Glass bottles are also pollutants and dangerous to little feet actually any size feet of any shape.
And contrary to public opinion - I am not violently anti smoking. I choose not to do so. And to all you wonderful chicks on this thread - I am about to get off my soapbox and get on with my day. I can hear the collective sigh of gratitude!!!!

Last edited by Shad; 10-11-2007 at 04:18 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #103  
Choose your hard

Your point is well taken Shad - no offense on this side of the fence.

I have to be at work early for a training class today. I must admit I do not see the appeal in this early morning rising thing. Especially at this time of the year. Yes the stars are lovely, particularly Venus shining "like a diamond in the sky" but the skies are an inky black and it is quite COLD out there. My first coffee of the day did not do much to clear the brain fog and I could just close my eyes and fall asleep sitting up I'm sure.

Shad - the blooming sounds lovely down your way. Glad the supercell missed your little street but how scary is that?

Ceejay - not sure what operating system you are running but usually you just click the START button on your bottom menu bar and the option to open the CONTROL PANEL is somewhere on there. I admit to being a lousy computer teacher - should turn in my I.T. membership card

Hope you are feeling better today Mel. Remember to take your pills!!!!

I just glanced at the clock. Better hop in the shower now or there will have been no sense in getting up early. Perhaps I did close my eyes and doze off for a few minutes.

Have a good day chicks of the world!

Last edited by happy2bme; 10-11-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #104  
Smackin' into a Wall

Wow, I stop in for a few minutes and I get a political debate! Morning ladies!! I'll be back later - I have a business requirements doc to write where I don't know anything about either the business or the requirements It's a regulatory extract for some new legislation in London - and no one seems to know what needs to be in the extract or what fields are in the source database. And why am I doing this???

Oh and the boss is working from home so I'll have constant calls and emails from her to deal with. Oy. Is it time to retire yet?

Later!

Last edited by Madcat; 10-11-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:46 AM   #105  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just back from dropping my car off for a brake job in the next town - 25 minute drive. No courtesy cars out here in the boonies but I got a drive home and will get another when it's ready for pick-up. My Ford Focus (red) is four years old and this is the first major repair. I'm planning to keep it for another four years so...... Aside from being red, it's got heated seats which I just love on these chilly mornings.

Not to continue the debate but.....my parents were heavy smokers and I have COPD which manifests itself with occasional bouts of asthma. I never smoked but got it from them. Thanks, Mum and Dad! They quit when Dad turned 80 - cold turkey. Both my kids smoke and I hate it! At least they smoke outside.

Ceejay, did you get your control panel back? My friend Rob lost his but was able to get it back by doing a restore back two days. Of course he lost some of his newer stuff but......

Jen, thanks for checking in for our MEL. I hope she recovers quickly because we miss her cheery face.

Madcat, YES! We need to have an Ontario mini-meet! Kingston would work for lunch or I could pick you up at the train and bring you here. Maybe Carla could join us. Carla, when you went to Trenton you went right past the turn to Delta - # 42 towards Athens! Drat!

Happy, funny you should mention the dark mornings. I was just thinking that at 6 today but rejoicing a bit that the time change Nov. 3 (?) will bring us more brightness for a while. And major congrats on quitting smoking!

Shad, I'm envious of your spring but not of the hot dry stuff. Right now, my garden still has tons of tomatoes, raspberries and peppers as Hollyhock's pictures prove. We always have a killing frost by now but there's none in sight although snow is expected in some regions of Ontario. Weird weather!

Hollyhock, the wine and booze bottles went into the recycle this morning. I was tempted to put the wine bottles out with my neighbours' stuff but was honest. Who cares what the trash guys think! When are you coming back?

I've just turned on extra lights and it a spice-scented candle. Hershey is lying on my feet so I'm going to do a bit of accounting and some tax stuff for a friend and then get my a$$ in gear. No car means an enforced day at home so I should gt cooking done for the weekend. The female half of the Hyper Pypers (Margo, Elaine and Bailey the dog) will be here for the weekend. That'll make three fun weekends in a row with company and then next weekend I'll be in Georgia with my garden pals. Yippee!

Hi to Painter, Meadow, Roseblush and anybody else I've missed.

Time to ease into my day.

Hey! Anybody know what to do with salt cod? I need Madcat's DH's mother!
Closed Thread