Daily check In II

You're on Page 8 of 48
Go to
  • Hey, sorry for not checking in. I began a reply yesterday, got distracted for a long time, ended up losing the post, and didn't get back to it until this morning. I'm a little bloated from TOM and salt (noshing on too many nuts lately), so after a peek at the scale this morning, I'll just stay away from it for a few days. I got away from my planned menus last week, and have been eating carelessly.

So Carol, the big day's almost here! I'm glad that you are putting up some limits. The better you are at getting things done, the more you are asked to do....you are doing well to stay so focused on therapy and healthy eating! I know you'll look beautiful and feel good this weekend.

Penny, I'm glad hear that you got immediate relief from the acupuncture. Your Italian lunch sounds yummy. My lunch meeting for today was cancelled (yippee) and I didn't bring lunch, so maybe I'll have something Italian.

Niki, do not despair! Have you been working with a nutritionist? I wonder if there's a guided way to tweak your metabolism by mixing up your eating and exercise, maybe your cells are hoarding every little bit of energy, to keep you at this plateau.

I PM'ed our Marie also, and am sending her positive thoughts....

judy
  • Well girls the count down is here for sure. The kids will be on their way home soon. I hope they get in on time etc. lots of airline problems yesterday here with flights. I painted their room last night a last min. thing just threw some old paint together then got the stuff and an hour later it was done only a small room and only 2.5 walls to paint. They I took the little curtains down, made some quick ones. Want a laugh I cut the material kind of decortive stuff heavier stapled it instead of sewing threw them up trimmed them to size. I was done no sewing and YAH know what they look great. I felt like I was part of one of those makeover shows. My daughte stopped by not the bride to be she was laughing mom what are you doing now!!! I laughed and said I think I am over the edge. But all is well the room is clean and looks good. I hope they like it. They enjoy the private area being downstairs etc. its peaceful and a little get away space. Maybe I should try it? Anyways Nikki this last week I started to have slim fast for my breakfast most days. I like it the coffee one but put it in the freezer for a bit. I think it gives me some energy and more protien in my start of the day. Now yesterday I had breakfast out but had my shake for lunch and a salad with low cal dressing. But my bad girl thing was cheese and crackers with a little pepperoni with a friend after work. Then I ate my chicken grilled for dinner with veggies. I feel good and I still haven't gotten on the scale just clothes tell me the story thing going on. I did therapy again yesterday it would of been easy to cancel but I thought and said best to go and glad I did. The painting must of wore off those extra cals. The weather is to be only around 75 on saturday no rain in the forecast so I will have a choice to wear my jacket or shawl or do both ways if I choose. Spa day is friday and we are having a little lunchoen only 6 of us. I am going to the deli area and picking up some speical salad stuff and putting fresh fruit on kabobs with a little dip. Judy glad to hear from you hang in there. I will most likely touch base on friday but of course not saturday !! Penny hope all is well and that your still getting results from the service.
  • Judy- I should have done what you did and stay awy from the scale. TOM is evil !

Carol-Two more days wow you must be so excited. I would be careful but dont not enjoy yourself eat smaller portions but enjoy the day.

My weight gain yesterday was from TOM thank god. Today I am back down to 151. I am hoping for a 2 lb loss minimum this week . I will feel a lot better once I hot the 140's. I am inching on a 50 lb loss. That is some mile stone !

Nikki
  • Okay, I apologize - I'm not sick or on vacation. I've been so darn busy with the end fo the school year at work and DS graduating from college. DS graduated on Saturday and we had a big party (loads of work to prep) and days of out of town company dining at my house while I was working the end of school stuff. Hectic doesn't even describe it. By Sunday I felt like a bulldozer hit me and Monday the hectic work started up again. June is my busiest month and having company and big party was too much. The only me time in the last two weeks was to exercise at 5:30 in the morning. The rest was work. So, Carol, my hats off to you since you have the big wedding in two days - you managed better than moi.

So again, I am sorry I worried all of you. That was never my intention. I'll be better in the future - except from July 7 - 14 when I'll be in Alaska but you won't worry now.

Carol, I'm so glad the weather looks like it will cooperate with you on Saturday. That's always a relief. I kept watching the forecast for last Saturday - the part was a pool party and there was no way all the people would fit in my house for an extended period of time. So looks like the weather gods are/were on our side.

Nikki, my fingers are crossed for the right job to come along. DS got an interview last week (right after his final - before the ceremony - in San Diego. They called out of the blue from Monster and the flew him down there, moved him about in a limo (I've never been in a limo) and they hired him. So he accepted the job and will start on Aug 20th. Beaucoup bucks so he's quite excited. Definitely lucky boy.

Penny, can I assume from the past two weeks of posts I've tried to read between working that you once had a masectomy? If yes, I didn't know. What a cool, backhanded compliment that they aren't the same size anymore. I like Judy's point on the 7 years to finish losing so that Medicare can even them out.

Well, I'm on track exercise wise as usual. I've changed my routine and take my two huskies out every morning as it's light at 5:30. I missed the jogging and so this week I added jogging on the dirt road. Wow, who'd ever guessed I'd jog in "public" (no one's around at that time of day and I live in the sticks). But it's working well. I'm also swimming 1/4 mile every afternoon after work (except during all the company). I ordered a Kathy Smith Lifting Weights to Lose Weight DVD and someday will find time to try it out. I need to tone as I'm looking flabby on the top half in summer clothing. Sweaters are so forgiving.

Food wise - struggling some days, some days I'm angelic. I need more of those days.

Well, back at the work pile.
    Marie
  • Marie, it's good to hear from you. The bad part about a virtual relationship (besides the fact that you might be precocious 11-year-old, but Penny has met you ) is that when someone drops off, you don't know why, or if it's just for week or forever. I'm glad that it was for celebrations and company. I hear good things about San Diego, I bet your son is delighted!

Nikki, I knew it couldn't be as bad as all that, with as little as you eat.

Carol, you frighten me, lady. Whoever heard of the mother of the bride implusively painting a room days before the wedding? You sound like the original Energizer Bunny.

I am struggling with munchies a lot. I know that it's stress, and my body not wanting to go any lower (my fat cells think that 220 lbs is skinny . I am working out, but snacking too much. I really want to get close to my July Fourth goal, but it won't happen if I can't keep my lips shut!

judy
  • Marie - I'm glad you're back. It sounds like you've had an incredibly busy but fun time. Yes, I had my mastectomy 5-1/2 years ago (left side only). The right one was reduced because I had huge boobs and that way I didn't need a huge implant to make them even. It is kind of a back handed compliment from my doc that they now don't match because I've lost a lot of weight. How come I couldn't just lose it from my butt???

Judy - I've been struggling a lot lately too so my goal seems to be slipping away. Tomorrow is a new day so I'm going to try to be extra good to make up for my slip ups. I hope you can hang in there and get back on track too - I know how hard it is with stress eating.

Nikki - I'm glad your bloat has gone with TOM. It's great that you're near your 50 lb. milestone - what an achievement!

Carol - You sure are the energizer bunny! I hope all the last minute preparations for the wedding are going well.

I've had a sore hand ever since the acupuncture. She put some needles in my hand and some in my foot - somehow the "meridians" are connected according to Chinese medicine. This has kind of put me off of doing it again as I don't need any more new pains, I have enough with the old ones!

Also, I have a horrendously sore throat today so I may be coming down with the cold from heck that my DH had a few weeks ago. A lot people around here have come down with it and it lasts about 3 weeks with a lot of folks getting bad bronchitis afterwards. I'm doing all my herbal stuff and Zicam so I hope it doesn't get full fledged.
  • Oh Marie so glad it was only a fun time with family and the end of the school year business that kept your away and not an illness. I can only say oh how I know what thats like getting ready for company, events etc. It all is busy work and in the end it always turns out nice. Yeah girls I was a bit over the edge the other night but at least it got done and looks really nice for their arrival today. Just a little creativity and some work for a couple of hrs made a super difference. The wedding spa day is today there is 6 of us and I have packed some lunchoen foods for the event. They serve us wine etc. but we provide the food. All healthy let me tell yah veggies , fruit, salads and whole wheat pita pockets. Then off to an Italian resturant for dinner tonight. I am doing a slim fast for breakfast to get a good start for the day. I tried on my jacket last night that goes with my gown it fits better than a month ago. I thank therapy for that those push up must of slimmed my arms a bit toned up. Its going to be only in the 70's but sunny no rain in the forecast. So I am able to wear the jacket instead of the shawl if I choose to. I finished putting the trim on my dress at 10 last night. The food for the saturday night after party is bought and cheeses cut etc. Thanks to my best friend and her hubby whom came over to lend a hand. I am very luck to have such a close friend. She is really closer to me than my own sisters. I guess we just have so much in common. I am going to teach her some of my exercises from therapy. Penny we all slip on food at times its how far we go that matters. I am sure that you are more careful than you think. Nikki sometimes that scale can be evil I guess thats why lately I haven't used it but I should ck it soon. Maybe I am just maintaining? But the clothes fit and thats a plus. During some stress I jumped off the path a bit. Lately I have jumped back on and thats whats so important. We can stray girls as long as we don't go far cause that gets all of us in trouble. Well time to say good bye and get some things done. Penny I am going to pick some fresh flowers for my vases in the house. My foxglove plant is about 40'' high. Love this type of weather this year for the gardening hot, cool , rain etc. a variety helps. Have a little thought for us at 4:00 on saturday and toast to my daughter Tam and her new hubby Mike. The lovely couple. I am off from work til the 5th decided to take a little extra time. I hope that I don't regret it later as I will have to earn some more. Oh well little late to think about it now. Kayaking and camping, gardening and having time to do what ever will be a nice change.
  • Marie - So glad you are ok Your son is lucky he landed a job that fast.

Penny-Feel better soon. Sore throats stink

Carol- Have fun this weekend can't wait to hear how everything went.

Judy-Hang in there I know you can do this

Well ladies I need some help today. Tonight we are going to my bf's friends house for dinner. She is making pasta ! I only met this girl once and I don;t want to insult her but.....I do not want to throw away all my hard work. I don't want to eat the pasta. I would rather eat something at home before we go. How do I handle this tactfully ? Am I doomed to eat the pasta?
    The worst part is I emailed her to ask her if we could bring anything and she told me they were making pasta and if I wanted to bring a side go ahead. I know my boyfriend would say you should have told her you couldnt eat pasta when you spoke to her. However, I was not raised that way. When in Rome do as the Romans ya know. Normaly this would not be a problem but I'm finaly seeing a loss and I don't want to mess it up . Please help me out !!!
  • Nikki - What I would do about the pasta is to take a teensy tiny portion (hopefully you can serve yourself) or ask for a small portion and try and just eat whatever meat/sauce is on it and fill up your plate with lots of salad. If you don't mention it, she probably won't even notice you're not eating a large portion of pasta. Good luck!

Carol - It sounds like everything is on track for the wedding. I'll be thinking of you and the happy couple tomorrow. Thanks for your support - I'm going to be really careful what I eat today.

My throat is a lot better - maybe all the herbs and potions helped. Have a great weekend everyone.
  • Penny - Thats the problem I cant eat any of it. My metabolism finally got to the point of not craving the carbs and finaly I am losiung aain after the last 3 weeks. I don't want to mess it up and even one bit of pasta can do that with atkins. I think I wil make a lare salad and bring it. but still have the pasta issue . I cant even have the sauce to many carbs. I am on 7 carbs a day plus veggies. Unless I put it on my plate and don't eat it but slip it to my bf lol.

Nikki
  • Nikki, I think you should be honest and tell her what you're doing and how far you've come. Bring your own food and tell her you are so happy to be there to enjoy the company. But don't eat to please someone else. That's always a losing combo. Most people respect your diet if you're honest. But some won't and those are the ones that you don't care if you hurt their feelings as they don't care about yours. right?

Penny, I'm glad you're feeling better. I swear by echinecea. Always nips it in the bud for me (okay most of the time). Plus it's definitely allergy season.

Judy, I'm with you on the munchie struggle. Somedays I'm so good, then bam, I get hit with the munchies. Luckily they are about even and the exercise is keeping me steady. But I want to lose more so I need to get back in better control. I'm thinking of being on this teeter-totter until after my alaska vacation, then get back on track full-time. Only my birthday would be an off day so that's do-able. I'm going to break up the summer in eating goals.

I did buy Alli from Costco the other day. At one point I'd been on Xenical and I didn't like the dose. too strong. So this 1/2 dose sounds like something to try. I don't eat high fat, but I don't go fat-free either. I'm giving it a go. I'll let you know. I'm only using it for lunch and dinner as I have no fat at breakfast. That means the 150 capsule bottle at Costco for 70 will last 75 days. We'll see what happens...

I walked the doggies around the 2 mile block this morning. I didn't jog any of it as I wasn't in the mood. Up the big hill, I did truck so my heart rate would be pushed. I'll probably swim 1/4 mile later this afternoon since I do every afternoon.

Carol, I'm hoping you're having fun at the spa and that the wedding be blessed tomorrow at 1:00 my time.
    Marie
  • Nikki - I really feel for you in this situation. Maybe you can fib a little and say you have an upset tummy and just eat a bit of salad. Otherwise, you'll just have to come clean and tell her you're doing low carb, although she probably won't be too sympathetic if she's spent time preparing a special meal for you and your bf. I wonder how other low-carbers handle this kind of situation? Maybe there's a thread here on 3FC that has some advice on the subject.
  • Hi all, Carol, I'm thinking of you and your family. 90 minutes to the wedding.

We took the doggies out running on the mountain. Probably about a 3 mile hike. It was a nice morning. I'm thinking of trying the lifting weights DVD I bought two weeks ago. I guess I'd have to open the package.

I was going to rebuild DH computer with VISTA however I decided I needed a bigger C: drive (I have a D: drive for data) and found a great deal at Staples. So I called Staples and they don't have any - so I ordered online and it'll be here on Wednesday. Got me out of playing with the computer all weekend. I just figured the small C: drive wouldn't work well with the bigger operating system. So my C: drive will go from 20G to 500G. Small steps.

Well, that's about it. Hope it went okay last night Nikki.
    Marie
  • Hi All-

Thanks for your advice. Friday night went well. My boyfriend gave them a heads up before we left and she was gracious enough to make me a rosemary chicken with brocolli. So I was able to stay on track all weekend.

Marie- I just spent the weekend watching my bf and his dad build a pc from scratch. Lucky you did not have to do that.

Talk to you all tomorrow, enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Nikki
  • Oh, my poor brain..it so much wants to be on vacation! I was in meetings all day Friday and most of Saturday. It was fun to go to a baseball game Saturday night, tho. But today I have been a total slug, some puttering around the house but not much else. Oh, well, some days will be like that.

Carol, I thought about you and your family on Saturday afternoon. I hope you are somewhere with your feet up as i write this!

Nikki, it was good of your guy to speak to his friend. Sometimes people give you attitude if you mention a diet--as if you're choosing to snub their food--so sometimes I just take Penny's advice and allude to something digestive, nobody wants to hear details on that! Here's where the gluten sensitivity has started to come in handy, so feel free to borrow that one from me. Good for you, you're on a roll .

Penny, I hope your throat problem is totally gone. I'm sorry that the acupuncture made you sore! I'd complain to the acupuncturist. You shouldn't feel any discomfort, unless the person just isn't very good.

Marie, let us know what you think of Alli. The side effects sound kinda gross, but I've read that your body adjusts after a few weeks. I wish you were here--I managed to delete my sound icon from my toolbar, and am trying to figure out how to get my sound back!

Last week was one of my worst weeks in months. I even had a candy bar on Friday, and boardwalk fries at the ballpark last night. I think I'd finally let myself relax after a stressful period at work, and wasn't focusing. But I did a long hard cardio workout this morning, and am enjoying having a day filled with healthy veggies and protein. It would have been nice to have gone to the BBQ festival downtown, but I guess I would have spent the afternoon eating too much. I'm back to using my little whiteboard "menu" on the frig, after two weeks of eating out more than eating my home-cooked meals. I will stay absolutely on course these three days, to give myself a nice start before leaving town on Wednesday.

Be well--judy