Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #1  

Default Home of the Loozing Floozies....#17

Hello

Here at McSkinneys, Our mission is to motivate,support and lose those pounds & inches.We must keep those Loozing Floozies loosing!!

Feel free to join our group of wonderful ladies.Come on in.....Give us YOUR motivation,support and ideas.We would love to have you!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 PM   #2  

Gayle....I love the dress! Let me know how it fits!

Just got off work...cooked, ate,cleaned kitchen & now on the way out the door to see MIL at hospital. Hopefully I can watch Dancing With The Stars there!!!

Hello to all
Old 03-27-2007, 05:49 AM   #3  

Sherry-I'm okay, just busy and depressed. Thanks for checking on me. WTG on the lbs. lost!!!

Gayle-I love the dress! I have to go to a wedding on April 21. It's an evening wedding and very formal. I'm not sure what to wear. I can't buy anything new. I am also helping with the rehearsal dinner. For that, I am going to play server, so I'm going to wear black pants and a white pin-tucked blouse. Thank you so much for the report on Ramona. I miss her so much. I am going to sent her a note also.

Vogue-Don't worry about the gain, just get back on your weight loss plan and take it one meal at a time.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #4  

Suzy life can be pretty rough sometimes but when you look next door it could be even worse. Hang in there. Let us know. You know that we are here for you.

Shelley my sweety. Have you seen a doctor lately? Are you still self medicating and only taking half of your meds? I hope not becasue it sounds like you need to follow the doctors orders right now. Hugs!

Gayle the dress is beautiful.....I just thought about something though, will you need alterations becasue of your height? If you get it altered will it affect the style of the dress?

Sherry thank you for starting a new thread for us. I love the little bunny.It sure is slow around here. Summer is only going to get slower. We need everyone to get their butts back here and post.
How are you losing weight? Are you on ww's?

Allison you use to post everyday....where are you?

I haven't swam in seven weeks. Today is the big day to see if I can do again. I have a little motivation, Larry bought me a MP3 player for swimming for my birthday. I was complaining about how boring it is with your head under water for an hour that they should invent a tv or a MP3 player for under water and they did. I am impressed that was quick. I will let you know how it works.

Have a good day and be thankful for all you have.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelite View Post

Allison you use to post everyday....where are you?
I'm here. I guess I've been lurking a lot lately. I haven't had a lot of motivation and I really wanted to get these last few pounds off, but they just aren't budging. I know what I need to do, but just can't seem to find the uuumph to get myself to do it.

And then someone said something that has really stuck in my head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-Bee View Post
I think it's hard to stay motivated at this point because, honestly, these are vanity pounds. I'm in a healthy weight range for my height, I eat decently and am active and fairly muscular, and it isn't going to make me healthier to be 10 pounds slimmer. I'm at a point where, in terms of cost-benefit analysis, and in terms of what I feel to be my overall quality of life, it is worth more to me to splurge occasionally with my eating, or to sleep in occasionally instead of going to the gym, than it is to micromanage my diet and exercise to release a couple more pounds.

But the vanity does kick in, and that is what keeps me coming back to the board, and doing my little up-and-down thing with the weight!
So there I am. These are indeed vanity pounds for me. I'm at about 21.5 BMI (with normal being 18.5-24.9). Even if I get to my goal of 133, I'm still in the normal range at 20.2. My clothes fit fine (size 6), I get compliments, I just wish......wish I could meet my goal.

So I looked over my weight chart this morning. I got to 140 in October, was down to 136 in November, and bounced up to 143 in January. I've been between 140-142 all of February and March. So I'm not really losing, more like I'm maintaining. I guess I'm doing okay because I'm not gaining......I just wish......wish I could meet my goal.

So that's where I am gals. Stuck. On a plateau. Not losing what I'd like to lose and obviously it has put me in sort of a funk. I don't know where to continue--do I keep trying? Do I throw in the towel and simply maintain? Do I take a break and try again in a few months?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #6  

Here is a great article I read from Women's Day

10 Best Slimming Foods
Fill up, not out

By Julie Meyer, R.D.

Looking for a miracle diet food? It's time to call off the search—there's no such thing. "If you take in more calories than you expend, you gain weight," says David Katz, M.D., of the Yale Prevention Research Center in Derby, Connecticut. "It's simple biology, and no milkshake or mackerel can save you from that fate."

But before you throw in the towel, there are certain foods that promote satiety (the feeling of fullness that comes after a meal) more than others. While they're not miracle foods, they can help you eat less over the course of the day. "When you're looking for foods that are going to keep you fuller for longer, look for ones high in fiber, healthy fats and protein, or with a high water content," says Barbara Rolls, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at Penn State University and author of The Volumetrics Eating Plan. "The additional benefit is that a lot of these foods are also really good for you and packed with important nutrients, vitamins and minerals."

Apples

An apple a day may keep the fat pants away, too. This portable fruit is the perfect snack, with a high water content and both kinds of weight-busting fiber: soluble, which helps prevent blood sugar spikes that lead to cravings, and insoluble, which helps fill you up. "A medium apple is about 85 percent water with 5 grams of soluble fiber, making it a snacking powerhouse," says Elisa Zied, M.S., same calorie level. To sweeten the pot, apples also contain quercetin, a flavonoid shown to help fight certain cancers, reduce cholesterol damage and promote healthy lungs.

TIP: Organic apples are worth the extra cost because commercial apples retain more pesticide residue than fruits you peel, such as oranges or bananas. And with half the fiber and most of the iron, magnesium and vitamin C, you definitely want to eat that peel to get the full slimming benefits.

Eggs

They're a great source of protein, which may be key to keeping you full. A recent study published in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition found that when people ate two eggs for breakfast, they took in more than 400 fewer calories over the next 24 hours than when they ate bagels. "The study proved our hypothesis that eating eggs induces higher satiety and keeps the subject fuller for longer," says lead researcher Nikhil V. Dhurandhar, Ph.D., from Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Although this was only a one-day study, eating eggs regularly may have long-term weight management benefits, says Dr. Dhurandhar.

TIP For a healthier egg, farmers are improving the hen feed by adding canola oil, alfalfa, rice bran and even sea kelp. Try Eggland's Best eggs, which contain omega-3 fatty acids, along with more vitamin E and less saturated fat than regular eggs.

One study found that eating a breakfast of two eggs can leave you feeling full longer than a bagel.

Cauliflower

"When you are trying to lose weight, non-starchy vegetables such as cauliflower are one of the few foods that can be eaten in unlimited quantities," says Dr. Rolls. It's good for you, too. Cauliflower contains the cancer-fighting phytonutrient sulforaphane, as well as a good amount of folate and vitamin C, which may be helpful for weight loss. In fact, a review from Purdue University pointed to vitamin C status as a key factor in how much fat is burned during physical activity. All that and it's pretty tasty, too. (If you're not a cauliflower fan, try spinach or broccoli.)

TIP: Love the creamy consistency of mashed potatoes? Steam a head of cauliflower and mash it with garlic salt, a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese and a touch of butter.

Lowfat Yogurt

If the yogurt ads are to be believed, you should be fitting into that itty-bitty bikini before you know it. While yogurt and other dairy products are not weight-loss magic bullets, there is some truth in advertising. A recent study at the University of Tennessee found that dieters eating three servings of yogurt daily lost twice as much weight as their non–dairy– eating counterparts on a 12-week weight-loss program. Why? "Calcium combined with other bioactive compounds found in dairy products slows down the process of making fat and increases fat burning, especially around the belly," says lead researcher Michael B. Zemel, M.D., a professor of nutrition and medicine at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. No word yet on how effective ice cream is at burning fat, but we're not holding our breath.

TIP: Sneak more dairy into your diet by adding plain yogurt to dips, sauces and salad dressings. You get the health benefits without the added sugar of flavored yogurts.

Oatmeal

Mom didn't know how right she was: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day—just eating it can make you slimmer. Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley analyzed a national six-year survey and found that people who ate breakfast had a lower body mass index (BMI) than people who skipped breakfast, and that those who ate cooked cereal had a lower BMI than any other breakfast- eating group. Also, oatmeal was ranked as the most satiating breakfast food on the Satiety Index, developed by Australian researchers a decade ago, and it's the third most satiating food overall. "Oatmeal helps you stay fuller longer, since it's packed with fiber and is a good source of protein," says Dr. Katz.

TIP: If you don't have time for cooked oatmeal every morning, make muesli by mixing old- fashioned oats with plain yogurt, dried fruit and fruit juice and leaving it in the fridge overnight.

PORTION DISTORTION
How to eat less all day

No matter how you slice it, calories count, and taking in less than you spend is the only way to really lose weight. These tips can lead to fewer calories over the course of the day.

On the road

Always choose the small fries, small drink and smaller hamburger at a fast-food restaurant. All combined, you can save up to 1,000 calories a meal.

At home

Avoid eating out of the container, such as the potato chip bag or ice cream carton. Portion a serving into a small bowl, and leave the rest where you found it.

Eating out

Split an entrée and dessert with tablemates to enjoy the flavor without extra calories (and save money to boot).

At work

Serve yourself a half-sandwich and salad at the staff meeting versus a whole sandwich and bag of chips.

Peanuts

Almonds and walnuts have been getting all the glory these days, but don't discredit peanuts, the most commonly eaten nut in America. Researchers at Purdue University found that peanut eaters end up eating less over the course of the whole day and are more likely to maintain weight, even if given as many peanuts as they want. So what is it about peanuts? Is it the protein? The fat? Turns out it's a little bit of everything. "We've tried to isolate different components of the nut to determine what makes it so filling,' says Richard Mattes, Ph.D., a nut researcher at Purdue. "But there is something special about the whole package."

TIP: Calories do count, so look for single-serving sizes at convenience stores and drugstores.

Soup

We all know soup is good food, but who knew it was slimming, too? A recent study published in the journal Obesity Research found that adding two 10-ounce servings of broth-based soup to a weight loss diet each day can almost double the amount of weight lost in a six-month period. Why? Adding water into a food makes it more filling than drinking water separately. "The water in soup adds volume to a meal and helps you feel fuller, without extra calories,' says Dr. Rolls, lead researcher on the study. "As a result, you take in fewer calories over the course of the day."

TIP Add your own veggies or fiber-rich beans to broth-based canned soup to keep you full longer.

Fish

You might be surprised to learn that fish tops oatmeal and vegetables in the satiety department. The Australian Satiety Index ranks steamed white fish such as halibut or cod as the number-one most filling food out of 38 common foods. Also, a new study from Karolinska Institutet in Sweden found that people ate 11 percent less at dinner after having fish for lunch versus those who ate a beef lunch. "This study demonstrated that a protein-rich lunch meal with fish protein reduced calorie intake compared with the same-calorie lunch meal of beef protein," says lead researcher Saeedah Borzoei, Ph.D. Why is it so filling? "We are still learning about the filling properties of fish, but we do know that fish has a strong flavor, which can lead to greater satiety and less of a need to eat," notes Dr. Katz.

TIP: To add some flavor to grilled fish, try a quick marinade of soy sauce, lime and ginger.

Bulgur

High-fiber grains are a great way to round out a meal, and fine-cut bulgur is easy to cook. Bulgur, which is a quick-cooking form of whole wheat, takes about 10 minutes or less to prepare once water is boiled and is a great substitute for white rice and pasta, which are low in fiber and heavily processed. "Fiber helps prolong the insulin response so you don't have the blood sugar spikes you have with low-fiber carbohydrates like white pasta or rice," says Dr. Katz. With all the good fiber comes some other benefits: iron and vitamins E and B6.

TIP: Find bulgur in health-food stores and organic markets. For a quick side dish, combine fine bulgur with chicken broth, diced canned tomatoes and some cooked onions.

Salad

When most people think of dieting, they think of salad. But if that means some sad greens topped with unripe tomatoes, it's no wonder diets don't work. "Salads are a great opportunity to add a lot of filling foods into your diet at one time: fresh vegetables, lean protein, beans and healthy fats," says Dr. Rolls. And research backs it up. A study from Penn State University found that women who ate a salad before a pasta lunch ate fewer calories for the whole meal than those just digging into the pasta.

TIP: Start your salad with mesclun, arugula or spinach. Not only are these greens tastier than iceberg, they also contain more iron, calcium, vitamin C and folate
Old 03-28-2007, 11:29 AM   #7  

Allison good to hear from you. If you try to take a break for a few months the pounds will creep up on you. I know I have been there. I am like you up and down a few pounds but that is ok because it is what maintainance is all about. I gainned 3 pounds on my vacation but I am still under ww's goal. Like you said it is vanity pounds. I am going to lose them but it won't affect my health if I didn't. I am sure that Shelley can agree with me we go up a few and then down a few. Don't give up.

So where are you all hiding? I looked behind my computer screen and you aren't there? Come and keep me company.

Well I tried out my water MP3 player. Man is it awesome! I swam the whole hour without even thinking how much longer. For the first time back in over seven weeks that is pretty good because I wasn't sure if I had to work up to the hour again.

Anybody have any of the white stuff left? When we arrived home just over a week ago it still looked like winter. There was snow that was 2 to 3 feet deep. In the last week I now see green grass and mounds of snow here and there. It is going to rain for the next three days so there shouldn't be much left after that, unless we get another big dump.

Come and check in and let us know how you are doing.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelite View Post
Allison good to hear from you. If you try to take a break for a few months the pounds will creep up on you. I know I have been there. I am like you up and down a few pounds but that is ok because it is what maintainance is all about. I gainned 3 pounds on my vacation but I am still under ww's goal. Like you said it is vanity pounds. I am going to lose them but it won't affect my health if I didn't. I am sure that Shelley can agree with me we go up a few and then down a few. Don't give up.

So where are you all hiding? I looked behind my computer screen and you aren't there? Come and keep me company.
I'm no planning on giving up entirely. I'm thinking of giving up trying to lose the last few pounds. Instead, I'll concentrate on maintaining. We'll see--I'm still in kind of a funk about it. I might just take a month off and try losing again in a month or so. WE'll see.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:18 PM   #9  
Losing it!

Allison, maybe just relax a bit and see what happens. They say one loses more weight when they are not actively dieting.

Dee, GREAT ARTICLE! Thanks for sharing! Our white stuff is gone thank goodness! We jumped right into Spring storms with wind, hail, rain & tornadoes.

State Board showed up to inspect the shop today & I passed with flying colors! I was nervous since one never knows when they will show up plus it had been 15-20 years since I worked in a shop and codes had changed. She said the shop was very clean and she was very pleased with my disinfection etc. WHEW!

I ordered the dress, I can always send it back if it is the wrong size or I don't like it in person. Suzy, I agree...this will be the first if I like it, I never like anything I order on the net. Wish they would of showed it on a model. Dee, I measured and am hoping I can wear it as a tea length, if not MIL is am excellent seamstress and I will let her do her magic. Vouge, as far as I can tell, it is appropriate to wear ecru/ivory to a wedding, it is a no-no to wear white though if that is the color of the brides dress. This dress was listed under dresses to wear to a wedding, so I am assuming it is ok.

Sher, how is MIL?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:31 PM   #10  
mudbug

S/C/G: 232/215/160

Height: 5'9

Deelite thanks for passing on the article from Womans day
I'm going to try to incorprate those into my diet , It seems I'm always hungry even when I think I've had a balanced meal.

Rhonda
Old 03-29-2007, 04:07 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 211/180/140

Gayle, I love the dress! I hope it fits you! Also, congrats on the inspection!

Shelley, hope things calm down and you feel better soon.

Sherry, how is your MIL doing?

Dee, we have a few piles of the white stuff left here and there. Mostly from snowbanks that were sky high! I really feel cheated this winter, we didn't get much snow at all and I love snow!

Allison, hope you can get rid of those last stubborn pounds. I really think the last few are the hardest to get rid of.

Hi to everyone else. Hope everyone else is doing great.

As for me, I decided it was time and I am now serious again about losing this weight! For a bit, I have been coasting, now I am motivated and serious! Please keep reminding me!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #12  

Debi I am glad that you are going full steam again. It is strange how we can be really motivated sometimes. I don't even know where the motivation comes from.
You can come and visit me today. It started to snow......first rain and now the big fluffy stuff you dream of at Christmas.

Rhonda I am glad that you liked and can put the article to use. I am always looking for hints and ways to help me maintain or lose a few pounds that I put back on.

Gayle I love the color of the dress, maybe in different parts of the country there is different rules about what color you can where at a wedding. Here cream is good.
Congratulations on passing the inspection. How are you liking your job? Today I am going for an interview for a volunteer position at a seniors center. It is just for one afternoon a week. It would be working at the front desk answering the phone, greeting and taking registration for courses. I can walk there and I am familiar with the center. I often stop there for soup on my way home from the Y.
Oh yeah my girl......you tried to pull a fast one on me. I had to come back and edit just for you. Lol I love your avatar. I didn't notice it first time around but now you caught my attention. I think that you are a dirty old lady going after a young stud like Steve.

Allsion if you decide to take a month off from trying to lose the last few pounds stay in touch while you maintain. Just because you aren''t trying to lose doesn't let you off the hook from posting here. We are snoopy and like to know how things are going in your life.

Sherry how is your MIL doing? Have you been spending what little free time you have with her? How is Wayne coping?

Shelley my friend, we need you to post so we can get your spirits back up. You didn't answer my question about if you cut down your meds.....

Time to get going to the Y. After my work out at the Y I am going to try my hand at Pilates at the good neighbors center. I have never taken it before but I hear it is good for your spine.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:06 PM   #13  

I think I've pretty much made up my mind to keep at trying to lose. It's really funny--I haven't lost anything for such a long time (I've been "maintaining" my weight between 140-143 since January) but I feel "fatter". I don't think I'm imagining it, either. When I am actively trying to lose, the fat around my belly seems to disappear. And when I maintain a certain weight, even though I haven't gained anything, the fat around my belly increases. Very strange!! Even last summer (when I weighed about 148) I felt skinnier because I was actively trying to lose. That was when DD saw me in a bikini and said "Gawd, Mom, you're skinny!" And I felt skinny and now I weigh less but don't feel skinny. So, I've pretty much made up my mind to stick with it. And even if I didn't I'd still stay here!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #14  
Losing it...again!

Height: 5' 5"

I've went from coasting into full blown over eating...no doubt from all the stress here. I am going to work hard at getting my life back on track. I'm tired of this downward spiral that I have been in the past few weeks.

Gayle ~ I love you're new avatar!

Dee ~ Keep up the motivation...we need it!

Hi to everyone else!
Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #15  

Hi

Just a qucik hello. Going to go see MIL as soon as Wayne gets home from work.

Suzy...Here's some will power dust!! You can do it!!!!

Gayle..Love your avator! Looks like you & Steve!!

Dee..Love the article! Makes so much sense! WHITE STUFF???? You've got to be kidding me???!! Our temps are in the high 80's...we're all ready for winter again! It's too hot for March!!!

Hello to all....Gotta go..TC

BTW: MIL is the same. Wish I could say better...but she's not. Thanks for the prayers EVERYONE!!!
Closed Thread