40-Something Group

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Anyone interested in joining a 40 something group?

Please let me know,

Jen - I'm new here
  • That would be great Jen!
  • Hi, that's great! What is your name? I'm Jennifer (Jen) from Michigan.

I hope that others will post here too.

Did you just start trying to lose weight? I've been trying off and on since 2004. But I am determined to lose weight this year. I am doing Self magazine's Challenge as well as doing exercise videos/dvds and watching what I eat.

How are you doing?

Jen
  • Hey I'm 40 something, can I come over and play?

I found 3FC and have been doing this whole weight loss thing (this time around) since January and am down 8 lbs. so far. Very slow going. I've been on this road b/4 (lost 20 lbs. about 3 yrs. ago but found them again ). I was on a few other threads that have dwindled away and would love one w/chicklets my age.

I'm married 20 yrs. this May (holy ), three kids (d-16, s-13, d-10) am a mostly SAHM. I work part-time as a pharmaceutical auditor. Oh, and I have a GREAT dog!! Hope to meet you all soon.

Jo
  • Hi Jo, Welcome to the 40's LOL. I'm glad that you joined us.

I need to lose about 80 or 90 lbs. and this time I WILL do it!

What kind of exercise(s) do you do? Are you following any special diet?

Let me know when you get a chance and take care,

Jen
  • I started out w/using Fitday to track my calories and exercise. Basically trying to keep the calories around 1500 per day. I started w/the treadmill exercising. Walking at first then a slow jog. Kind of stalled out w/the treadmill -- mentally had a hard time convincing myself to get on the thing for 50 minutes at a shot 5 days/week! I started lifting weights about 3 weeks ago. I'm also trying to do high intensity interval training (HIIT) on the treadmill 3x/wk. Now that the weather is getting nicer I can get the dog out for a walk a lot during the week. The past 5 wks or so that rarely happened. I also walk her about 4 or 5 hours after my morning workouts so it helps boots my metabolism again.

The eating part has always been harder for me vs. exercising. I was doing really well but then stop using Fitday (figured I could just do it mentally). But there is something about actually seeing the numbers that helps tremendously w/keeping on track. I'm going back to Fitday today. I haven't been a piggy or anything but just eating a little too much. The scale has been very reluctent to budge as a result!

How are you doing? What type of plan are you following? The exercise I had to start off slowly doing but acclimated pretty quickly. I exercise M-F but not on weekends. With spring just around the corner, I'm sure all the outside stuff will count as exercise though! Am thinking about scrubbing the screens and getting the windows washed today.

Jo
  • Hi Jo, I'm doing good. I usually don't do too bad with the food except for this weekend I was pretty bad but today I'm back on track.

I have a problem with doing formal exercise consistently. I'm pretty active though, I play volleyball 2 nights a week and I'm on 3 bowling leagues so they keep me out of trouble (but active.)

I live in Michigan so Spring is still a few weeks away. It's suppose to be warmer this week so I'm hoping to get outside and go for a walk.

I guess I'm a little wierd because I like walking on my treadmill, I either watch soaps I've taped or listen to music. I do a variety of walks so that keeps them from being boring.

I'm not following any weight loss program, I'm just trying to eat more veges etc...

I gotta go to work now so take care and hope to hear back from you.

Jen
  • I know exactly how you feel about the treadmill. I find that people either love it or hate it. I think it just got to me because it was the only exercise I was doing for 6 or 7 weeks straight. My legs were constantly tired cause I never bothered to give them a break!

Just got back from walking the dog and I actually did scrub the screens too. Very nice out but my guess is winter isn't quite over just yet. Probably a few more weeks till we can count on 50 degrees and up.

Jo
  • Well, got back on the treadmill this a.m. Having only done some HIIT over the past 3-4 wks on it, I was truly amazed how good it felt. My legs feel really strong from all the squats and lunges I've been doing and I was able to run at a steady 4.6 or so. I intervaled it up (as high as 6.0) for short 1 minute sprints. Will walk the dog a little later today. Am off to clean some windows so I can get the screens in. You know what that means, right? Yeah, it'll probably snow!!

Jo
  • Hey, is anyone still posting here? Hellooooooo?????

Jo
  • I would like to see a 40-something area as well. It truly gets harder after a certain "age" .... those darn hormones & "the Pause".... I think we should have our own "age group".

What do we have to do to convince 3FC to give us a category of our own?
  • I'm still posting here but they are mostly just replies to other people's posts.

How would we go about setting up our own 40-something group? If you know, can you please do it, I'm new here and I don't know how.

Thanks,

Jen
  • " How can I get my own forum?

We've had several requests for more forums recently. At this time, we are not adding anymore forums. In fact, we are downsizing a little. A lot of members have said that our extensive list of forum is somewhat confusing and they would prefer fewer forums to make it easier to use. Therefore, we do not plan to add more forums right now. We may, in the future, add more forums for large groups that have stood the test of time.

Most of our forums support dedicated threads for groups or topics, and that is the best route to take right now."

This is from Suzanne3FC. Even though they are not adding any new forums, we can just keep posting on this thread, ok? The more you post the more it's at the top of the list and maybe other 40-somethings will join in. How 'bout it?

Jo
  • I guess we have no choice since you won't be adding any new forums.

I just feel as people get older it's more difficult to lose weight and it would be nice to chat with people "in the same boat" as I am.

Anyway, what problems have you or anyone here have noticed as they've started getting older?

Jen
  • Recently, I found out that I may have a thyroid problem, I will find out for sure tmw (Wednesday.) Also, although I am still over-weight I found out that I have fibroids so I look even heavier than I really am... it has depressed me quite a bit because it's one thing when I've over-eatten or I don't exercise and I get big BUT it's another thing when something decides to grow inside of me and there's nothing I can do about it --- I will see another gyn tmw for a second opinion, the first one didn't want to do anything!

What have been your experience as you've entered your 40's?

Jen