Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #46  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Poor Mel needs a new PC for her birthday. She sent me an email asking that I tell you all (or y'all) that her PC crashed which is why she's been absent. She's hoping to be back soon.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #47  

Thanks for the update, Happy. I confess I was more than a little worried... Not like Mel to disappear when there are flowers and sweet talk and slices of cake on offer!
Old 03-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #48  
Choose your hard

Good morning chicks,

I was pretty worried about Mel too. When she's gone for days it usually means something bad happened. I'm relieved to hear it's just the computer.

My sister called yesterday. My mom was visiting her for a few days and sis wound up taking her to the hospital emergency room yesterday. Mom had been having heart palpitations oh for about a MONTH now and finally decided she felt poorly enough so that she should get it checked out. The good news is that the doctors said she is one of the most healthy looking 80 year olds they've seen in a good, long time. All the tests are coming back negative. One doc seems to think it's related to her stomach. She does seem to have issues with eating. They are keeping her for a day or 2 for more tests and observation. She's not happy about that. It sort of puts us in an ackward position - she doesn't want to move in with either of us yet I know she's concerned about being alone and something happening to her where she couldn't get help for herself. That was my excitement yesterday. That and work is getting impossible.

Carla - I so hear you on the corpse looking makeup. I don't go anywhere near pressed powder makeup - not even for touch ups. I am a bit curious about the mineral makeup that is all the rage now. My sister loves it. At least you got the passport thing down. You need to find a nice pose somewhere between suddenly startled and refugee. Does ANYONE have a good passport photo?

Ceejay - argh those stupid random drug tests. I didn't think anyone did them anymore but apparently my company does them too. My friend was called around Christmas time just as we were getting ready to leave for our company Christmas party.

Well Painter, I see you are still burning the midnight oil. Furiously. I envy your ability to follow your natural night owl body clock.

Hope the cruise was nice Shad. Sorry you lost your post.

I'm sitting here snuffing and coughing. I'm kinda sick. Not on the floor, pillow over my head sick but I do have more than just sinuses. This presents a dilema as I am supposed to sit with a co-worker today who is going to help me figure out a problem. I have a thing about coming to work sick and infecting others but I don't think I'm contagious and nothing stops the great cogs of the big business wheel. So she's dead, eh? - well just prop 'er up with a stick and she can catch all the boxes as they roll off the line - you know what I mean

Best get on with the day then. Have a good one peeps.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Glad to know that Mel is not sick. Thought my computer was going to crash but after I took off internet 7 it's doing a lot better.

Happy--The good news is that your mom is in good health, but I'm glad the doctor's are keeping her to run extra tests. Sorry you don't feel well. I think most places still have the drug test but they only do them up on hiring and and if someone gets hurt. This is the first time I've been chosen in over 4 years. I'd almost forgot about it.

Shad--I know that feeling when I lose a post.

Hello to the rest.

The drug test wasn't to bad. This is the first time I've had to empty my pockets. I'm not expecting anything to come of it.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #50  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

BEFORE I LOSE THIS DAMN COMPUTER AGAIN I READ EVERYTHING FIRST
THE TALE OF WOE: THE OTHER NIGHT I TURNED THE PC OFF BUY THE BUTTON BECAUSE LIGHTNING CAME WITH OUR FREAK SNOWSTORM AND IT WAS CLOSE. NO TIME TO SHUT DOWN WINDOWS THE GOOD WAY.
THE NEXT MORNING I WENT TO TURN IT ON AND ONCE AGAIN WINDOWS SYSTEM 32 WAS DEFUNCT NOTHING I COULD DO WOULD GET IT GOING. GOT ADVICE FROM A TECHIE WE WORKED ON IT OVER THE PHONE. AND STAYED UP LAST NIGHT REINSTALLING STUFF. ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE PC IS NOT RECOGNIZING THE MONITOR, SCREENS ARE ENORMOUS AND I HAVE SCROLLBARS IN ABUNDANCE. GAMES AREN'T LOADING. SPEAKERS HAVE NO SOUND. WTF WTF WTF WTF
EVERYTHING IS GOING WRONG. THE FAMILY THE DONATED THE WHCHAIR TOOK IT BACK. SEEMS THEY HAVE OVER $900 BALANCE TO PAY IF THEY KEEP IT. SO OFF IT WENT. THE BUDGET IN THE OFFICE IS CUT AND THERE MIGHT NOT BE THE EXTRA $$ I USUALLY GET. JEN MIGHT NOT HAVE HERS EITHER FROM WINDOW PAINTING. WITH THE WARON ALL GOVT BUDGETSHAVE BEEN CUT EXCEPT POLITICIANS PAYCHECKS!!!
I TURN 60 AND ALL **** IS BREAKING LOSE!! IF I CANNOT FIX THE PC I WILL WAIT TILL SHADDIE GETS HERE AND LET HER HAVE A WHACK AT IT!!
THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE BEAUTIFUL ICTURES AND SENTIMENTS. WHEN I GET ANOTHER PRINTER I WILL PRINT THEM OUT. LOL
WHEN I READ ALL THE POSTS I HAD GREAT LAUGHS AND CRIED TOO.
YOU'RE THE BEST. THE CREAM OF THE 3FC WORLD.
HOLD ON.......
THE WOMAN IN THE OFFICE SAID HER HUSBAND WILL COME AND TAKE A LOOK AT THIS MESS OF A COMPUTER IN A DAY OR TWO....HOORAY.
MAYBE HE CAN FIX IT!!! YAY!!! I BETTER GO AND STRAIGHTEN UP IN CASE IT'S TODAY!! SHE SAID IT'S A POSSIBILITY!!
LOVE TO YOU ALL.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:47 PM   #51  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Well I am glad to see Mel back again even if it is in a rushed capacity. You can adjust the screen size Mellie, and I suspect it has something to do with the resolution size and the print size you had set up. Plus of course AOL - never discount that fact.
Sorry to hear that your year is turning out horrid. You should have been able to celebrate a 60th without all that ballyhoo. Sounds like a telephone call is needed this weekend. How about Saturday your time.?

Yes I had a good time on the boat. I will be loading up some pics over the weekend and will you have a look at them then. Yes I am going home for the weekend. Leaving tonight and back Sunday. Have to go give the youngest rooster chicken (alias DS2) a cuddle.
Some of us (and it wasn't me) had too much to drink and were rowdy and uninhibited. Even the tfg was reasonable - which tells me that I must have had too much as well!

Planning for the trip has come to a temporary halt in Arizona at the moment. The beginning is all set and sorted. The NM part is the stalled part. And I hear that if I do get to Farmington airport then the only way to Memphis is via Denver or Dallas - so Painter we may yet get to meet. Still on track for 1st or 2nd June for Happy and around 7th or 8th for Mel. Then I have to sort the Canadian contingent. The train trip should be sorted this weekend. I'm pretty sure of what I want for that Then the BC Victoria/ Vancouver/SF bit should fall into place. Such fun. Shane must be tearing his hair out at the agency! What does this woman think she is - she'll be skiing down the Eiger next at this rate!

Happy - poor Mum - gypsies and sore tum and worry about her own living conditions. It's so hard to know what is best for them. I can understand her wanting her own space. Do you have secure retirement villages there where a person can purchase or rent a villa which gives them enough space to move, people to tend the yards and gardens, and a social life for those who wish to participate? Sometimes these are good options. But whichever way she wants to go, she will be so happy that her two girls are there for her.
Now it is time you got better yourself.

Ceejay - drug tests where they make you empty your pockets!
We have alcohol and drug tests at the refinery. There is actually a breathalyser at the entrance gate. If you blow positive in that, you are not allowed through the gates. Likewise I think they are installing a drug puffer thingy as well.

It was my own fault yesterday that I lost the post. I was being lazy and dragging my fingers across the keyboard instead of typing properly. Serves me right.

Okay - better make a move to look like I am interested. Actually mentally I am already on the plane.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:49 AM   #52  
Choose your hard

Happy Friday at last Chicks,

Even though the weeks fly by, some take longer than others to get here. Extra sleep awaits me tomorrow. The head and nose are all stuffed up and the voice is rather craggy from coughing and dryness. Lemon tea with honey is on the menu today.

Mom is back at my sisters and doing fine. Sister and I will continue talks as to what to do with her. Yes Shad, we have looked into some of the "senior" communities but they are horribly expensive believe it or not. We lived across the street from one up in Chicago and with us BOTH working, we would barely have been able to afford it. Oh they tell you - we pay the utilities and we give you 2 meals a day and the apartment comes with all brand new appliances BUT - those come at a price. The most practical solution is for her to come and live with us and I hear from my aunts that THAT will not happen. And it's only because we live down here - if we had the same set up in Chicago she might reluctantly agree to move in. Sounds like we will have enough time for a nice visit, seeing some sights and just sitting and chatting. Good on yah. Hope the rest falls into place quickly.

Ceejay I like your new avatar.

Happy number 60 Mel. Still 5 years away from retirement even if it did creep up on you quickly. As you may have discovered, shutting the computer down "by the button" is really NOT a good idea. Even with lightning in the area, you generally have enough time to shut things down nicely. And if the power flickers during a storm, then just shut it down early if you know that one is upon you. Hope someone can get Humpty Dumpty put back together for you.

Ok, I have to go jump in the shower. My head is like a balloon. Have a good Friday everyone.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #53  

Good morning from sunny Brisbane.

Got in last night and got DB2 to pick me up from the airport and take me to DS1's place. We bought tea on the way - naughty naughty Red Rooster and I thoroughly enjoyed it although won't be doing it again for a while.

Today I am taking DS2 for a shopping trip to get some food for him and he wants to buy some tiles for a splashback in his kitchen. Since he is home for another 3 weeks with his leg in plaster, he needs something to do to keep him occupied. Meantine sometime today I had better mow his lawns and mine - he can't do them.

Happy - I know what you mean about the expense of those places. Most older people here sell the family home and move in to the villas. One more or less pays for the other. They are not cheap but they do have a security of sorts.

Tried to ring Mel this morning to commiserate on the computer. Left a message instead and then rang Teel. Teel has been having a back problem and seems to have given up on the weight loss for the time being. Says she will try again in the summer. She was sorry to have mised Mel's birthday too.

Okay, better go do a round at the gym and take the kid shopping and then I will be back.

See your wee light aglow Happy. Are you peeking in from work?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #54  

Sometimes on this site I feel like I've slipped into an alternate universe. What is Red Rooster tea, and why shouldn't Shad have all she wants? Is she speaking in code?? And how did I miss the DS2's injury? I thought I read that he and the GF had broken up; didn't know she broke his leg on the way out the door! Poor kid!

Against all odds, I actually made it to the passport office today, where it only took about 2 hours to leave my application with them. (That may sound like a long wait, but I was expecting to be there all day.) And contrary to what I had read in the newspaper, they promised the passport by early April! Apparently the long turnaround is for those applying by mail. Still need to go to the British High Commission on Monday for that passport, just in case I decide to go live/work somewhere in Europe some day. And a second pair of glasses - never could hike in progressives without breaking my neck, and since I hope to hike this spring, need some single vision Transitions.

Yesterday I found some Australian Sauvignon Blanc called Nepenthe. Can't remember what it was like , so will have to finish the bottle. Speaking of Nepenthe, Shad, if we do both end up together for a road-trip down the coast from SF to Big Sur, there's a very over-priced restaurant there by that name with the best view over the Pacific and the coastline. Assuming a sunny day, of course. Burgers are on me... Do let me know if you'll have two days or three for the trip; I'm busy planning your itinerary.

I don't want to jump the gun, but I was sitting out in the sun this aft, relaxing while my mud treatment dried and cracked, and started musing about our April destination. Andalusia? Austria? Australia? Andorra? Aix-en-Provence? Atlanta? Athens? An embarrassment of riches! Oh well, time to rinse off the mud, have a quick eucalyptus steam, and head up to another dinner of bland soup. Sure do wish there was still some of Mel's bday cake left!

Happy - take care of that cold. A few hours in the steam room will clear those sinuses, if it doesn't kill you first...

Mel, it's good to know you're okay. But what a bummer that your computer cacked out, the new wheelchair got taken back, AND the office has no money for you!!! But the important things in life - us - will never disappear. And if that doesn't drive you , you must already be !
Old 03-10-2007, 01:52 AM   #55  

Not to mention:
Afghanistan
Albania
Algeria
Andorra
Angola
Antigua & Barbuda (Barbados???)
Argentina
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Some real hot spots there. I think Happy wanted to go somewhere where some of us may have been before.
I'm working on the itinerary and taking in suggestions. Once the train trip is okay, the rest should fall into place. What dates are you talking about SF to Big Sur. I leave on the 29th June remember from SF. I'm happy to do it, if it fits in. Sounds like fun.
Do yourself a flavour favour. If you want a Sauvignon Blanc to die for - look for a New Zealander from Marlborough - Stoneleigh, Cloudy Bay, Oyster Bay, Montana, Nobilos. It must come from Marlborough. Even the French are waxing lyrical over them. I could go on.
Red Rooster is an Aussie institution sort of equivalent to KFC. I think it is a bit healthier than KFC and they are now selling chicken with or without skin - however you want it.
The DS2 fell down a flight of stairs and landed right side up and on his left ankle which decided then that it could no longer support him. He had a couple of days off work and then decided it was 'fixed', but it really wasn't and it later became very painful and he had to go back for x-rays. It was then decided that there were torn ligaments and a cracked bone in the ankle joint and he had keyhole surgery to clean out the cracked bit of all the rotten and rotting ligaments and join the ligament back in place. And after a while he decided that he was fit enough to go back to work, although from time to time it was painful. Then on his way to work one night he went to put his foot on the second step of the flight of stairs to his home and the ankle gave way again. To cut a long story short, a bigger operation then took place and he has had a screw inserted in the ankle and is in plaster for another week at least, then physio and three more weeks off work. He's a little anxious as work cover only pays 75% of his wage and he is feeling somewhat broke with expenses and mortgages. His Mammy is home to help him over the rough patch as much as I can.

Okay - move it along again. The DB2 is here to watch the footy. Better go and barrack for the other team.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:05 PM   #56  
Choose your hard

Although I will hate to leave this lovely spa, I think that perhaps we should spend April someplace in Australia where Shad can give us the tour and we can spend May in Memphis if you like. Unless it's too hard for Shad to set up a new thread while she's travelling.

Shad - I'm so glad that you are going to get to do the Big Sur drive. It's such a gorgeous coastline drive. Let Carla drive and you can gawk out the window. Will you be heading over to the Carmel area too? A nice area of shops to wander around for a day trip. Funny, for some reason I thought that Red Rooster was related to alchohol and not food. Ouch on the DS2. That's quite an injury. Perhaps he should be using a can or crutches for support for a while? Hope "mammy's love" gives him a booster shot on the road to recovery. And thank you for the update on Teel. Sorry to hear she's having problems again.

Glad you got your passport taken care of Carla. So if you're doing the single vision Transitions - does that mean you can't read the map while you're hiking? I have regular sunglasses and the ones before this were single vision. Didn't like them for that very reason - and in some cases I couldn't see the radio tuner in the car - I guess I got very used to the blended trifocals. I take it that by Transitions you mean the lens that go from light to dark outside?

I wasn't peeking from work yesterday, actually I came home early. This sinus thing has turned into a full blown cold and I was feeling very miserable all day long. I left the office a bit after 3pm, peeked on the computer, talked to DH, blew my nose 57 times and hopped into bed and passed out for 3 hours. I even turned down our usual Friday night out to dinner. I did remember that I had what the doctor called a "sinus cocktail" - some medications she gave me last year for a bad cold. These pills work wonders. I started taking them last night and it will take a bit to work - will probably be a lost weekend but I should be dandy fine and dried up enough to be chipper at work on MONDAY This weekend daylight savings time kicks in and we lose a precious hour of the weekend.

It's absolutely beautiful outside. 70 degrees and sunny. DH is out raking the yard - his full time, weekend job. I really need to wash the schmutz off the car. Just popped a load in the washer and I'm headed outside. I'm hoping the sun and fresh air will clear my head. This is my favorite time of year. The birds are all singing pretty songs - you should hear the mockingbirds. The feeders are busy, the air is particularly fresh and all the trees are starting to burst into colors. We might take a dip or two into the lower temperatures but we're pretty much home free into spring.

Your visit Shad gives me good incentive to get rid of those boxes in the garage so here I go. Hellos to the rest of the chicks - have a nice weekend. Did we lose some people moving the Mexico here? I'm assuming Mel is still trying to get her PC fixed.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #57  
Happy September

I THOUGHT I HAD TIME TO READ AND POST BUT THE TECH IS ON HIS WAY UP AGAIN. WILL SEE YOU ALL SOON. SHAD THERE IS AN EMAIL IN YOUR BOX. WE'LL HAVE TO TALK NEXT TIME!!
Old 03-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #58  

Love some of the new avatars around here. Guess it is probably time I laid mine to rest and figured out a new one too.

April in Aus is fine. I'll dream up some spots where there are no huge insects to bite, snakes to hiss or crocs to crunch.

I'm still trying to fit in Big Sur. I don't want to rush too much and to have plenty of time to sit and chat (and do the laundry) so it becomes a balancing act. I do not want to end up like that American in some old fashioned movie who said - 'Is today Tuesday? Then we must be in Paris" I'd like to try and catch up with LindaT in SF but she lives a long way out and is not a late night person because of work etc. 29rh June is a Thursday I think, so a meet may not be possible!
Anyway one way or another, it will get figured out and what will happen will happen.
Gotta get the dates for Toronto too so we can (maybe) all manage to get together there.

Time to move along. I must get some housework done here today. The ants are moving in and with them the spiders - its a moveable feast around here.

The pics by the way are from the boat. In the first one, you may recognise the old girl on the left. Anna on the right doesn't normally indulge in alcohol and had had 5 glasses of wine straight up (ummmmm that's nice, can I have another) She was decidedly 'under the weather' the next day.
In the other one. That's my immediate team lead pretending to hoist the sales. Next to her is the dreaded King Kong. Charming outside the office, bloody awful in it! Then we have Kerry. first time trainer (first solo class coming up this week) and the Purchasing 'guru' from Adelaide come up to ensure we all train his beloved subject properly. Gotta run. More pics later. Don't want to upset Mel's computer anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Anna and Joy.jpg (37.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Some of the team0002.jpg (32.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Shad; 03-10-2007 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:29 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Hello every one.

I've been to Paragould and I'm back home. Went to country western type show on Friday night. They had much better performers this year.
Work tomorrow. SIGH

I have a mexican chicken casserol in the oven and it smells devine. Just wish I Knew how many calories it had or do ?? I've trimmed the calories as much as possible by using 98% fat free things instead of the usual higher calorie things. I'm gonna have to taste when it comes out of the oven.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #60  
Happy September

SHAD~ GREAT PICS!!! I GOT A WEE BIT DIZZY LOOKING AT THE WATER THOUGH!!! NOT A BOAT PERSON!!
SENT A LONG EMAIL. YOU POOR SOD I THINK THE PC PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED AND I DID MENTION THE VIRUS THING TO HIM. HE RAN ALL KINDS OF SCANS AND FOUND NOTHING. WE SHALL SEE NEXT MARCH 6TH
IN MY NEXT LIFE WE WILL BE TRAVELING BUDDIES

CEEJAY~ ILOVE THE NEW AVATAR!! JEN IS A UNICORN FIEND!!! THE MEXICAN DISH MADE ME DROOL AND I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT'S IN IT!!! WAS IT GOOD? DON'T THINK ABOUT THE CALORIES. LOL GLAD YOU HAD A NICE TIME IN PARAGOULD...MY OLD HOME TOWN

WENT TO LOG ON AND HAD A BARRAGE OF PROBLEMS WITH AOL. MAINLY BECAUSE I AM SOSLOW AT FIGURING THIS JUNK OUT. BUT I SUCCEEDED IN GETTING THINGS DELETED AND REDONE. I WILL BE A PRO IF THIS KEEPS UP. MOST OF WHAT I LEARN IS FROM TRIAL AND ERROR. A WISE MAORI QUEEN ONCE TOLD ME TO FORGE AHEAD AS THERE IS NOTHING THAT CANNOT BE UNDONE. I HAVEN'T LOOKED BACK SINCE!!
I NEED SOME BREKKIE AND A SHOWER. ALSO NEED TO DO BETTER WITH MY BOB GREENE HABITS. BUT I DID LOSE THE SAME 4 LBS AGAIN! I AM TAKING MY WEIGHT TRACKER OFF MY SIGGIE IN A MOMENT. I'M SO TIRED OF READJUSTING IT!!
HAVE A HAPPY SUNDAY/MONDAY!!
HOPE ALL OUR WEEKS ARE FILLED WITH LAUGHTER!!
TO ALL THE REST. I WILL READ AND EAT BREAKFAST IN A MO......
Closed Thread